[semoball.com] Login | Register
Post reply Read replies (450) More threads Create thread

Sikeston vs Charleston ROUND 2 (@ Show-me Center)
Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 3:14 AM:

NOT at the Birds Nest on January 4th, but January 31st. at Show-me Center!

The 2 best teams in the area facing off in the Show-me Center (Sikeston has been there before in these rescheduled showcase games), but no doubt Charleston is up to the challenge.

Yes (I know)... it isn't the home court of the Jay's, but the money that Charleston can make for their program by filling way more seats will make it worth it in the end.

I for one can't wait!!!

Replies

Interesting...

-- Posted by gianthook on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 6:02 AM

Is this what u want to happen or has it been changed?

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 8:06 AM

Where did you get this info?

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 8:13 AM

Live, Local, Late Breaking News with Matt Foley!!!

It is 99.9% done... Just working out the details!

I would be shocked if it didn't get rescheduled now since so much work has gone into making it happen for both teams and the venue.

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 8:18 AM

But where are you getting this info?

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 8:21 AM

Well I hope it does because I wasn't planning on going to Charleston since its so crowded is what I heard. I've never been since u have to get there so early

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 8:43 AM

may not be a home court for the Jays, but since they play 4 games there each year, that should give them a little edge.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 8:49 AM

I was told its a done deal also .

-- Posted by sikeston train on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 8:54 AM

No official confirmation from my end but I'm hearing that if it isn't a done deal yet, it will be soon. I applaud both schools for being proactive on this issue after having to turn away so many people (including myself) at each venue in the last two regular season meetings.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 9:00 AM

A buddy of mine from Charleston... He said it's pretty much a done deal

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 9:16 AM

I agree whole heartedly with you Big Papi. Thats just part of the game.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 9:56 AM

Are u saying they need that advantage to beat Sikeston? Because that's what I just read.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 9:58 AM

Papi, you must not be able to get a ride to Cape, I'm assuming? It's okay, ask someone for a ride, I'm sure they won't care to take you along for the ride. Farmer is confident in his team at home or away. Doesn't look like you Charleston fans are though.

-- Posted by Semofan25 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 9:59 AM

Also what makes u think it was Sikeston's idea? The guy that started it said his buddy from Charleston.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:01 AM

And if they want the home bench vs Sikeston in the tournament, all they have to do is ask.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:06 AM

This rivalry has been played on each others turf for years. Why break tradition? Can't believe they are doing this. No matter where you play the game someone is going to miss out. Charleston keep the game at home if you can. Will this be done every year? I highly doubt it.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:16 AM

I agree CHS2MRH. Let's play in the Jays' Nest. If you git in you git in, and if you don't, tune in to 105.3 radio. I say just let it git jammed packed and up the security.

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:21 AM

I'm sure this is a financial decision. The potential gate receipts can probably fund both school's athletic budgets for the entire year. If there is truth to this, I think that makes it an easy call. Think of all the money that is lost by turning people away every year, particularly at Charleston.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:23 AM

It's really a STUPID idea. What about the kids from Charleston who could've just walked in packs to the game???? Not everyone can make it to Cape. It's just a terrible idea.

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:24 AM

To be honest, when they lock those doors and turn people away, I can see vividly that our gym could hold about 45 more people. I saw many gaps the last time we played Sikeston at home. CHS has plenty of money, hell they let the best coach ever go in '94. SILLY!!!!!

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:28 AM

And they ran the best football coach away in '97.(Larry Getts)Peep this......someone put a DEAD BLUEJAY IN HIS MAIL BOX!!!!!! He really cared for the black kids might I add. Hmmmmmmmm.....

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:31 AM

Whoever thought of doing this thought it would be a great idea for both schools. Everyone could go, money for school stuff like that but they just can't please everyone and if they do it this year they will have to do it every year otherwise I'm sure there will be something said.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:34 AM

Well i'm sure the jay AD had to agree to it so it is what it is. I wonder if the jay players got to have any say-so in the decision? Hate it for the jay fans, they deserve a home rematch especially after playing us here twice last year.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:46 AM

Playing at the show me center is not tradition. I know I don't have dog in the fight, but as an alumni, it takes away the essence of the rivalry. No sense in beating a dead horse, it is what it is. Good luck to both teams.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:52 AM

Big Papi you need to go tell that to your coach and administration us Dog fans we dont care where we play good teams can win anywhere.

-- Posted by sikeston train on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:55 AM

Call the school and complain they probably don't read this. Maybe if all of Charleston calls they won't change it. I don't really care where it's played if show me center I'd probably go depends on weather if in Charleston I haven't made up my mind yet

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:01 AM

Papi no matter what anyone says, you are dead right. These days tradition means zero. Colleges are eliminating tradition, hopefully it wont trickle down to hischool, but i doubt it.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:01 AM

Why are you telling a few fans on a forum that you want your homecourt advantage? Talk to your administration.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:05 AM

My phone call was just made yah yah.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:08 AM

I can understand both opinions. What I don't understand is why people think they have such superior insight on what is the right thing to do. What ever happens will be based on coach Farmers perspective of what is best for his team in the long run. Preparing his team for a state championship should be the deciding factor not simply an emotional hangup over one game.

-- Posted by Swish on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:09 AM

As much as I would like to see this game, I think it should be played at Charleston. It's not fair to their fans or players. Now, if they want to start scheduling the game at the SMC next year, then I'm fine with that. The game would probably out draw the Cape/ND and the Cape/Jackson games. If the people who run the SMC were smart they'd have a rivalry Saturday or something like that. Have Sikeston/Charleston, Cape/Jackson or ND, Poplar Bluff and NMCC can play their rivals(Sorry, don't know who their rivals are) and smaller schools like SCC, Scott City and Advance. These games would out draw any of SEMO's games. Just an idea.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:11 AM

The more I think about I can understand why Charleston ppl would want to keep it there. Good luck in changing ppls minds about it that has control over it but who knows.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:15 AM

Money!!! The deciding factor. Has nothing to do with preparing for a championship. Game will be there again next year is what I have gathered. I do like Fat Boy idea. But hey whats done is done. Im still a BlueJay for life, no matter where they play. Go BlueJays!!!

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:21 AM

Money?? That is a pretty low estimation of Coach Farmers' character. Wow!!!!

-- Posted by Swish on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:26 AM

Just talked with my buddy and he said the calls might be to late... Charleston will make more money in this one game than they would make all year as an athletic program. Show-me center is looking for ways to fill seats and Sikeston fans travel. Money is the key factor along with making sure nobody misses the opportunity to see 2 of the best boys programs in the state. This gives people the chance to see the potential Class 4 and Class 3 state champs. UNLESS CHS2MRH or Imagine Lite (Madison Prep) has a say so...

Go Dogs

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:28 AM

Big Papi...who cares about money? Well, I'm sure your coach and your administration do because you have to have money to keep the programs going. All schools are having financial difficulties so why not take advantage of a big gate? As a Sikeston fan I have no problem moving the game to the SMC next year if that is indeed the agreement. If this game does get moved to the SMC, then sure, Charleston loses their home court (Sikeston would next year), but both programs benefit in the long run. Not to mention Charleston will have just gotten done playing four straight games at the SMC as opposed to Sikeston having only played there three times ever, last coming in 2010.

Why did CHS let the best ever coach go in '94? Because they didn't want to pay him like NMCC did. It is that simple. Don't you wish you had the money then?

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:30 AM

Well Foley that sums it up. Should be a great game. The players will decided in the playoffs. Long ways out.lol...

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:33 AM

What info did you gather from your phone call CHS2MRH?

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:36 AM

What Foley said is what I got. Its over and done. Lets move on. Lets pump it up as if it was already scheduled to be played at smc. I will be in attendance for sure. May even bring the team down to see what a real rivalry looks like. It will be a great experience no matter where it is. Always have and always will be. Toughest rivalry in the state hands down.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:42 AM

Thanks, and I totally agree about the rivalry!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:44 AM

Im excited. Im off my lil soap box. Lets see it.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:51 AM

A rivalry day would be cool, a start of a new tradition!

Dawgz-jayz

Nd-cape

Jaxon-bluff or nmcc

Any others?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:53 AM

CHS2 when does Sikeston play your team?

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:55 AM

Maybe MRH/Sikston game should be a SMC.

-- Posted by Swish on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:59 AM

And so we've heard 1,000 of times!

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 12:05 PM

Let's be honest here people, this game moving to the Show-Me Center should be permanent. The game has outgrew both High School's gym, and the amount of security needed to successfully handle these two crowds. Take into consideration about the brawl that happened between the fans from these two schools a few years back. A bigger venue will give folks more space to voice their opinions about the opposite team without any altercations. You see how the entire game paused at the SEMO Tourney when a bottle hit the game floor LOL..

With that said, I think it's time to move the SEMO tournament back up to the Show-Me Center too.

-- Posted by PoliticalCorrect on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 12:06 PM

I don't know if they are sharing the gate or not. That was just speculation on my part. Check with your administrators on that.

The coach Mac comment was in response to LU BLUETIGERS.

Thanks for the history lesson He Hate Me, I mean Big Papi. My mistake. I had no idea Charleston was any good prior to the past few years.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 12:11 PM

Let's get this straight here the fight I believe was between 2 Charleston people and the bottle was thrown by Charleston fans .

-- Posted by sikeston train on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 12:15 PM

Don't doubt Coach Farmers's consideration of what is best for his team. Not the fans, not the money, not the security. Plain and simple exposed and test his kids!!!!!!

-- Posted by Swish on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 12:17 PM

- expose and test his kids.

-- Posted by Swish on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 12:31 PM

You do need to chill hehateme! Most sikeston fans are probably in disbelief that ur coach, AD, and administration would give up a home game vs their biggest rival. Ur 95 rings dont change the fact that ur beloved school coulda stopped this from happnin!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 12:31 PM

Fans tend to lose sight of the big picture sometimes.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 12:33 PM

First, I understand how Charleston fans could be upset about not having their home game. It could have been better, as said above, to start this tradition next season.

If this becomes a tradition, then great. As stated, finances are difficult everywhere, right now. Many times, when things become traditions, they have their proponents and opponents in the beginning. Maybe 5 years from now, high school hoops fans will look forward to packing the SMC for this rivalry and it will help add funding throughout both athletic programs on an annual basis. I think that, in the long run, the SMC is the way to go for this rivalry.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 12:35 PM

Over the years how many times have you seen Charleston really start clicking by the end of January???

-- Posted by Swish on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 12:43 PM

TFA, MRH vs Sikeston Jan. 11th at Sikeston.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:00 PM

Your team is what I'm more worried about because I don't know anything about them. So I'm excited about that game. Charlestons game will be good as usual but I've seen them play. Can't wait to see your team

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:08 PM

Bernie vs SCC 1st game?

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:08 PM

Yah-Yah well said. I totally agree. Whats done is done. Coach Farmer has his reason. We support him 100%. To the SMC we go.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:09 PM

Mrh, we gonna play u up there next year?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:09 PM

We will be at the Poplar Bluff Showdown Dec. 27th 5:30pm vs a very talented Jonesboro Ark team. They have a very talented PG by the name of Kahron Ross. It will be a tough outing.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:14 PM

We will play sikeston here next season.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:15 PM

CHS2MRH is going to have to change his login soon...

CHS2MRH&BACK2CHS

I see you as Farmers replacement in the next couple of years

Looking forward to playing you all!!!

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:18 PM

We will play sikeston here next season.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:21 PM

Sikeston and Scott Central are 5 miles apart and they played 30 miles away at the SMC twice. I think everybody considered that a rousing success.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:24 PM

Me to Foley. Always love getting back home to play. On that other topic, we will see.lol

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:26 PM

I'm so glad my idea to move the Charleston-Sikeston game to the Show Me Center was so well-embraced by the administrations of both school districts, especially the guys in charge at Charleston. Allows big gates for both schools and more than 38 people get to see one of the best games in SEMO this year. People can actually work till 5 and get to the game and not have to worry about having a seat. After seeing literal hundreds if not more than a thousand people get turned away each of the last two years, it was time for this "tradition" to change in order to benefit everyone.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:32 PM

How about the tradition of the SEMO tournament finals? Sikeston retains that homecourt advantage?

-- Posted by Swish on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:38 PM

As someone with no dog in this fight, let me say I certainly understand (and appreciate) Big Papi's point about a home game and tradition. On the other hand, I also understand both schools' AD's jumping at the chance to play the game at the SMC. They will make a ton of money and in these economic times, that's a practical consideration you have to look at seriously. And whether we like it or not, practicality often trumps tradition. I know as a fan of high school basketball, I am excited I can plan to go know when before I know I had no chance to get it.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:44 PM

I believe that AD at Charleston is Danny Farmer.

-- Posted by Swish on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:46 PM

*I can plan to go now...

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:47 PM

Sideline, are you taking credit for this move! Lol!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:48 PM

There's a new AD at Sikeston which means new ideas are being thought of and brought to the table. Perhaps after seeing the debacles the regular season games between Sikeston and Charleston have been in terms of turning tons away, the new AD had the proactive idea of maybe moving the venue for the next two year cycle to see what it does for attendance and revenue. The 38 people comment is called exaggeration. It helps illustrate how small the Nest is. You really are coming off greedy and short-sighted on this one He Hate Me.

In terms of the "tradition" of the SEMO Conference tournament, it is a tourney that is owned and ran by Sikeston. If Sikeston's AD wants to play it at home, at the Show Me Center, at the Jays Nest, and the Staples Center, it is up to him and what he can arrange. It isn't tradition to be played at Sikeston. It is just owned by Sikeston. No one else has much control beyond voicing their opinion.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:53 PM

What's different between previous years and this year is that somebody had the idea this year. I'm sure the success of the SCC-Sikeston game paved the way for the future. Prior to that, it was never conceived.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 1:55 PM

Swish, the semo tourny used to be called sikeston invitational, its sikestons tourney as sideline said. I do wonder why they changed the name cuz now it makes it seem as if its owned by the conference. Any idea why, sideline?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 2:01 PM

The tournament used to include most SEMO Conference teams already, but also included Blytheville regularly, and also Osceola, Twin Rivers, Lyon County, etc. Sikeston's former AD wanted to make it into a conference only tournament and I think it's been great. The fact that it is only played at Sikeston is not unusual. Bloomfield hosted the Stoddard County Tournament for decades, but didn't own it.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 2:09 PM

Yes understood. But it is odd that the reasons for supporting the move of the January 4th game don't apply to the SEMO tourney because "Sikeston owns it".

People can actually work till 5 and get to the game and not have to worry about having a seat. After seeing literal hundreds if not more than a thousand people get turned away each of the last two years, it was time for this "tradition" to change in order to benefit everyone.

Unless Sikeston owns it - then tough!!!

-- Posted by Swish on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 2:10 PM

I'm starting to think I will side with Big Papi just for spite.

-- Posted by Swish on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 2:11 PM

Can't answer that one for you. Check with Sikeston administration.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 2:13 PM

You make a pretty good point there Swish!!!

-- Posted by Hemingway on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 2:18 PM

Although this isn't tradition both schools stand to make a nice chunk of change..More fans get to see the game..It's a bitter sweet win/win situation for most of us Charleston fans..Especially me because I like to talk a lil smack @ the nest..LOL..Now I can't banner point..J/K..Good luck to both teams hope to see you all there..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 2:25 PM

I agree Rings, I just don't like double talk/standards. And Rings, your name just brought a thought to mind - could Charleston haul their State banners to the SMC for the game? It is going to be great - let's get it on!!

-- Posted by Swish on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 2:32 PM

Swish the reason they are moving this game is because Charleston coach and Administraters want to period. They could have said no and apparently didn't. Quit tryin to bring Sikeston and the SEMO Conf tourney in to this. CHARLESTON could have said NO!!!

-- Posted by sikeston train on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 2:35 PM

I don't have a problem with that. They can paint the court blue for all I care and bring their own announcers. I think it's a great idea for both communities. Both schools will benefit greatly.

I know Charleston doesn't want to give up the home court, but Sikeston hasn't lost there since 2005 so they've had some success on that floor. Also Sikeston will give up home court next season (from what I understand) and Sikeston has been nearly unbeatable at home the past five or six years other than the two losses to C-town last year. It seems like an equal trade-off in that regard. Now if next year's game was played at the Field House, I can see how that might irk some people.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 2:39 PM

I totally understand your point Big Papi, but it's out of our hands.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 2:40 PM

Swish I was thinking that too.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 2:43 PM

Just to set the record straight swish, u'd like to see the sikeston invitational played at the smc?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 2:46 PM

Don't get me wrong, I support whatever Coach Farmer wants to do 100%. Just making some observations and having a little fun. Actually, even chuckled a little.

-- Posted by Swish on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 2:47 PM

Practice fellas. Been a pleasure conversing today. Big Papi hang in there fam.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 2:57 PM

No, I not purposing the "Sikeston Invitational" be played at SMC. Only the finals if it is Sikeston and Charleston LOL. I know that is not realistic. As I said above I'm just having a little fun and pointing out contradictions in people's reasoning (there is another word for that). If this is finalized, a sold out SMC will be a great experience for the kids, which is all I really care about. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

-- Posted by Swish on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 2:58 PM

Lol!..Swish there are way too many, but that was a good one..I'm still expecting a great game..CHS2MRH I was hoping after the jays scheduled you guys a few years back(regular season) it would be an every year thing..I would love to see MRHandCHS go head up every year..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 3:03 PM

Sometimes it takes a while to get the program going. Cookson didn't win a state title his first seven years at Scott Central and even had a couple losing seasons. Nobody holds that against him. Once he got it rolling, he kept it rolling. Jim Bidewell took about 10 years to win his first state title at Portageville. People don't hold those first 10 years against him. He got it rolling and kept it rolling. It took McFerren 5 years of average teams at NMCC before he won state at NMCC. Were people griping about his coaching job prior to that? Holifield has had Sikeston rolling since '06. This is now the 8th year (not 5th) that Sikeston has been an elite team. He has taken Sikeston to heights never seen before (at what has always been considered a football school). He has changed the culture to where people now call it a basketball school. I will also point out that Holifield won district titles his first two seasons at Sikeston, taking a program that won 8, 8, and 6 games in the three years prior to his arrival. Then capturing back to back 4A district titles. That is quite an achievement.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 3:05 PM

I responded to your Farmer/Holifield question a long time ago. Go dig it up!

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 3:07 PM

I have no clue why ppl always bringing up the past no matter if its 2,5,10 or 20 who cares except for ppl that live in the past. Heck half the time I don't remember who we won or lost against last year it's the present that I'm in. I guess if the ones that doesn't like the move don't go in protest. But I bet if u ask the players they wouldn't care where it's played. Everyone taking high school bball soooo serious. I've gotten a headache so I'm done.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 3:08 PM

BTW papi, Hatchett graduated is 2011, so I don't know who you are referring to besides Ruffin.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 3:12 PM

How did this become about Farmer and holifield?.. Lets not do that 2day..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 3:15 PM

The tie-breaker should be held at the smc and not the Jan 4th home game. Jmo

-- Posted by silentplayer on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 3:20 PM

Apparently some people don't like it when they don't get all of the attention. HeHateMe is one of those people.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 4:07 PM

You don't know much cause I didn't brag at work.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 4:10 PM

I even got in trouble by Charleston ppl for saying ya were going to beat us before the game all I said was that it was a good game. So u know me I could care less but I'm thinking if your so tough come talk to me about it at work or where u a temp that got layed off?

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 4:13 PM

If this were a tennis post, hehateme would somehow work in Lenny and his WWII rings.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 4:50 PM

WWII stands for world war 2, hehateme.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 4:54 PM

Each of those other schools listed by hoops were not in the bottom 3 classes during their strong title runs. It is just a question of:

HOW MANY RINGS WOULD THOSE OTHER SCHOOLS HAVE IN A TOUGHER CLASS OF BASKETBALL?

HOW MANY WOULD SIKESTON HAVE IF THEY WERE IN A DIFFERENT CLASS?

Not saying Sikeston would have 10 titles or even 3 titles by now, but just a little food for thought....

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 5:29 PM

Whatever u say Big P. I know who's from Charleston at work and who's not I've been there a long time but if your not we can finish the discussion at work then. Lol!

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 5:40 PM

Id just like to say that I give Ctown the advantage playing at the Show me Center. in the last 4 seasons I think Sikeston is something like 1-5 in games played in Cape... We just never play our best ball in Cape For some Reason

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 5:46 PM

I love how he hate me keeps projecting his inner flaws (homerism, being easily peeved, changing the subject when discussions are on the here and now) onto me as if I do them. I guess he's just mad that the Charleston administration liked my idea still and can't get over it. At least he has my title of mayor right.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 5:51 PM

As a general rule, I think giving up home court advantage is a bad idea; however, I do understand the financial aspect of the decision (if indeed it has already been made) If so, what I would like to see is Sikeston put its SEMO Conference tourney trophy on the line and the Jays could put its SE Missourian Christmas tournament trophy on the line and winner takes home both.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 6:02 PM

I like that idea... win the Christmas Tourney and we will talk!

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 6:09 PM

It is I...I am out of the area as I now reside in L.A. but I like this arrangement more than I dislike it. It is big time basketball (for southeastern MO.) played in a big time arena (for southeastern MO.). I think this move is good for both programs and for the area in basketball as a whole. It definately makes sense financially!

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 6:12 PM

Seems only a few are really upset anout this move. I have talked with several different people from C-town and they are excited about the opportunity to play this game on a bigger stage.

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 6:21 PM

Someone notify ESPN. You never know.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 6:29 PM

Lets call winners winners... McFerren was a winner and one of the best coaches in the history of southeat MO basketball but ,so is Holifield and Farmer. I don't know numbers but Charleston averaged close to 30 wins three years prior to McFerren...don't think that was the case with Sikeston. (Semo hoops stated the numbers in an earlier post). By the way who was the coach at Charleston prior to McFerren?

As for the game being played at the SMC,what a great opportunity for both communities, players, and schools. Big time southeast Missouri basketball on a great stage. I personally think it will be great for both.

Plus , as an area bball fan I get an opportunity to see the game since I don't get off until 5 and would never make it to Charleston before the doors close.

-- Posted by Winner11 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 7:36 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Sikeston turbo-clocked Maplewood in the Shootout at Bluff in 07-08. Maplewood had a great guard and I remember Sikeston's Def was swarming.

-- Posted by Winner11 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 7:54 PM

Yes... we beat them pretty easily! Guard was Bryant Allen if I remember who ended up going to Minnesota on a football scholarship. Played basketball for them as well before transfering to Illinois State and playing basketball.

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 8:02 PM

Mitch Haskins was the coach immediately preceding Coach Mac. He was the head coach when Charleston won its first championship in '75, his first year as head coach, I might add. He stayed for three years, then went to SLU as an assistant coach along with Ricky Frazier.

-- Posted by birdfan on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 8:06 PM

I knew they had some great teams. You mentioned Frazier, he is one of the best players to come out of the state of Misouri.

-- Posted by Winner11 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 8:14 PM

I recall listening to the SLU-Indiana State game on the radio when Ricky was a frosh at SLU. Guess who he had to defend? If you guessed Larry Bird, you are right on! Ricky blocked Bird's first shot, then Bird went on his normal tear; probably scored in the 30s. But, as for Ricky, he was Freshman of the Year in SLU's conference (it escapes me as to what conference it was back then), then transferred to Mizzou after the one year at SLU; sat out the mandatory 1 year then became a star at Mizzou starting with is inaugural year.

-- Posted by birdfan on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 8:21 PM

Yes we got beat pretty good and that Was our last loss of the season. Michael Porter played with us that Summer. He and BA use to argue about it. Fun times. Great intro to bootheel Bball for my team. We learned took home the state title that year.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 8:23 PM

Awesome. Didn't realize the SLU connection, I just remembered him from Mizzou. Great story! Would you consider him the best player to come out of Charleston?

-- Posted by Winner11 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 8:30 PM

Absolutely the best player to ever come out of Charleston; arguably, one of the best to ever come out of Missouri.

Will never forget the state championship game during Ricky's senior year...Jays lost to Joplin Memorial...when Ricky fouled out late in the game, the entire Hearnes Center gave him a standing ovation.

-- Posted by birdfan on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 8:48 PM

I heard they had a really good team. It will be a good test for both teams.

-- Posted by Winner11 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 9:34 PM

Birdfan,what is Ricky Frazier doing now?

-- Posted by lastride67 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 9:36 PM

Sideline Starter yawns.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 9:54 PM

Ricky lives in Charleston. He has had severe vision issues which limits what he can do. He enjoys working with our youth and encourages them to be respectful, responsible citizens and uses the game of basketball to teach those lessons.

-- Posted by birdfan on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:28 PM

who are the most successful people after they get in the real world. Just saying it is a shame to peak at 17 or 18. We always argue over who was better in high school. Sometimes this misses the point which is to be successful in life which is what really matters.

-- Posted by hs-sports on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:30 PM

We have been reminded if this in the previous week with tragedy in sports and schools.

-- Posted by hs-sports on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:31 PM

KFVS just reported that the game being at the SMC is not yet a done deal, but could be finalized tomorrow. They also gave the date as Jan. 31 if it happens.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:32 PM

Which is a Thursday

-- Posted by birdfan on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:34 PM

Jan 31 is a Thursday, I mean

-- Posted by birdfan on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:36 PM

good decission to have it at the smc...on another note talking about coaches look at how many k wright had in 5 years i believe it was 4 state titles... a very good coach imo peace out and may the best team win this one

-- Posted by kmasters on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:39 PM

Man let's play ball! Home court advantage don't scare my BLUE JAYS. Let the young men play ball wherever. All this talk about homecourt. If you ask me,let's play on Ricky Frazier's court:LINCOLN COURT!LOL!!! Some people go to far with their comments. You need to know the history about CHS VS. SHS on the B-ball court. It is not that close as some would think. But let the boys play in front of thousands of fans. Come on down CHS2MRH,I'll be looking for you and ur bunch!

-- Posted by pe-co85 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:40 PM

SLU was part of the Missouri Valley Conference when R. Frazier played. Included Memphis State, Bradley, Creighton, Illinois State, Louisville, Indiana State and maybe a couple of others.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:47 PM

I really think Lennies McFerron is the best overall coach I've seen over the last 40 years in southeast Missouri. Even though M. Haskins was the head coach for their first state title (with McFerron as assistant), I always thought coach McFerron instilled the pride in defense he learned way back as a player at Howardville, and used those priniciples in building the program at Charleston that set the bar for all teams to follow! The common link is indeed Coach Mac (asst. to Haskins, head coach with Coach Spencer, and coached D. Farmer as a player).

-- Posted by semo7178 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 10:57 PM

It has always been a rivalry and always will be. Charleston had their dominating run of wins and that time has past since Sikeston actually has consistently strong basketball play now. Even in that run though, it was still a rivalry just as the football games have always been a rivalry even though the overall series isn't close at all. However, if you want to let the delusion continue from your end He Hate Me, I won't be shocked.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:56 PM

McFerren took over a program that was already rolling and winning consistently and was stocked full of talent. That's a big difference from taking over a program that has never been known for basketball (SCC, Sikeston, Portageville) and had losing seasons and no pride prior to those coach's arrivals. Having said that, McFerren is a coaching legend and I give him his due props.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 8:53 AM

Wasn't it just a couple days ago that somebody said Charleston fans don't need to brag and boast?

If we're going on all-time rivalry records, Charleston still has many years of catching up. Only counting the 70s, 80s, 90s and early 2000s doesn't hack it. You still have to count the 10s, 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s when Sikeston rolled Charleston every year.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 9:03 AM

Did a little research for you semoball fans....

Scott Central's 3 years prior to Cookson:

21-3

15-9

12-13

Cookson won a district title in his 1st year and didn't win another until winning state in his 6th year, Otto Porter's senior year.

Portageville's 3 years prior to Bidewell:

9-14

3-16

5-16

In his 7th year, Bidewell won his 1st distirict title and in his 9th year, won a state title.

Sikeston's 3 years prior to Holifield:

8-18

8-17

6-17

Holifield won district titles his first two years. In his 8th year, Holifield's team took 2nd in state in Class 4 and won state in his 13th year.

Charleston's 3 years prior to McFerren:

29-4 (state champ)

21-6

31-1 (lost in state finals)

McFerren won districts in his first 3 years and Charleston won a state title in his 3rd year.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 9:08 AM

So please tell me, who had the toughest rebuilding jobs? Who had the toughest task of building a winner? I'll leave that up to the semoball forum.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 9:09 AM

But... But... But that doesn't fit the narrative.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 9:20 AM

the stats don't back it but it's much easier to be good every year at sikeston bc of the pool of kids than it is at portageville and SCC

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 9:29 AM

@SEMOHOOPS.....Basketball was invented in 1891 man. The schools were segregated for a very, very, very, long time.So you have to place an** everywhere on the records and games. Legendary College coach Bear Bryant had just began trying to recruit black players in 1969, @ ALABAMA, even against ALABAMA'S GOVENOR(GEORGE WALLACE)wishes, who wanted things to stay segregated. The rest is ummmmmmmm.....HISTORY.#HISTORY MAJOR

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 9:31 AM

It's according what peoples idea of a winner is could be just winning games or winning state titles. Sikeston as well as Charleston has a good chance of winning it this season especially Sikeston with the class being a bit down from previous years. There's really no arguement Charleston history is head and shoulders above Sikeston so lets just stand behind both schools and hope they both bring it home to SEMO!!

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 9:34 AM

@SEMOHOOPS....Reffering to the games in the 10s, 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, & 60's. And Bear Bryant was a college football coach.

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 9:35 AM

sportsnerd, I disagree. You're under the assumption that 500 boys at Sikeston are interested in playing basketball. Just because the enrollment is larger doesn't mean every kid in the school plays sports. Go to the high school tryouts and you'd see there aren't many cuts made. There are far more distractions at larger schools (other sports, activities, and just more to do within the community). At a smaller, rural school, sometimes basketball is all there is. Play year-round. No distractions. Just ball.

In theory that sounds like it should be the case, but history shows it is not easy to be consistently good at larger schools in the SEMO area. History shows that winning consistently at smaller schools is more common. But that is what makes what Sikeston is doing pretty impressive because no large school in our area has been very consistent ever. Bluff had a five year run but it took two NBA players on the same roster during that run. Cape and Jackson are always up and down.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 9:43 AM

It's according what peoples idea of a winner is could be just winning games or winning state titles. Sikeston as well as Charleston has a good chance of winning it this season especially Sikeston with the class being a bit down from previous years. There's really no arguement Charleston history is head and shoulders above Sikeston so lets just stand behind both schools and hope they both bring it home to SEMO!!

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 9:34 AM

What he said.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 9:44 AM

Ummm, Sikeston was segragated too LU BLUETIGERS

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 9:45 AM

So IMO, those years don't count because whites had black friends and blacks had white friends, who didn't git to share their love for the sport together because of the LAW.#DEPTH

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 9:54 AM

BOTTOM LINE:

CHARLESTON-77

SIKESTON-56

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 9:56 AM

In summary, the argument is "the years where you won don't count! Only the years where we won get to count!"

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 10:22 AM

Sideline, isn't that the same thing he says Sikeston fans do for only counting the last 5 years?

-- Posted by sm0723 on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 10:28 AM

Granted, Sikeston and other larger schools have more students overall, but consider the number of additional sports (in which smaller schools don't participate) that draw from those same numbers.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 10:44 AM

Historically speaking it's not close Charleston by far is the premier program, and one of the best in the state, but as far as this years teams, I think it's clear Sikeston is better.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:02 AM

I do agree about the bigger schools have more to choose from I say there was probably 10 or more kids not making the freshman team this year that tried out in Sikeston. I know SCC 7&8 grade team had a total of 6 players so they only had 1 team. I don't know anything about Charleston do ya have try-outs and have to turn boys away? I didn't know some schools don't even have try-outs until this year because they don't have alot of players.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:08 AM

LOL....

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:13 AM

I love this rivalry. I will make a strong argument here. Those years Charleston won state and Sikeston didn't, it's a safe bet that the Jays' could have won in Sikeston's very own class (4) because WE BEAT EVERYONE IN SEMO'S DISTRICT, CLASS 4 AND 5 YEAR IN AND YEAR OUT. YOU AGREE??

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:19 AM

You could also say Cookson didn't win until he got the Porters either. McFerren had more talent than anybody. It's not even close. So what's your point?

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:20 AM

Yea, it's a safe bet because those class 4 and 5 teams in this area were obviously the best teams in the state every year. It's about as safe of a bet as dropping your life savings on the Washington Wizards winning the NBA Title this season.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:22 AM

My jr. trip to Columbia in 1996 as a CHS Jay, were we defeated Mexico in class 3, we observered the class 4 champ, I think it was St. Charles West and I tell you that I think we would've beat them worst than Mexico. I wasn't impressed with class 4 because we played much harder teams.

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:27 AM

Sikeston could send you 550 girls and 400 boys. Add that to your enrollment of 300, giving you 1,250 students, but Sikeston keeps the 25 to 30 boys that play basketball. It would not improve your basketball team at all despite having 400 extra boys to choose from. Why? Because most of those 400 aren't interested in playing basketball. Now if all 400 loved hoops and played non-stop, then grant you, that is a major advantage because of a deeper pool to choose from. It is not that way at all.

Nowhere did I say winning is easier at smaller schools. I said consistent winning is more common at smaller schools, but only a select few that have a talent pool. Weaker schedules and conferences will always guarantee some wins, even in down years.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:28 AM

There aren't enough kids participating in sports in Charleston to hold try-outs..Especially on the middle school level..Farmer only holds try-outs if alot of kids come out for basketball,but that rarely happens..Charleston just makes good use of what we have like scc does..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:29 AM

Yah Yah was is soooo sarcastic...lol.

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:33 AM

Not to burst you Charleston fans bubble , and I have seen you play live I wouldnt have you in the top 3 in class 3 just here in st louis.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:39 AM

@stlscott....I probably wouldn't either man/woman, yet rankings don't mean anything. Just last year HOGAN PREP was yellin "repeat..repeat" and got defeated.

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:45 AM

However we have to be in the top three if SIKESTON is the true CLASS 4 #1. and we lost to them by 10 @ Sikeston.

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:46 AM

Actually Webster Groves was the Class 4 state champion in 1996. I too was not very impressed with them that year but they did have two Mizzou players, 6-11 Tater Decker and 6-7 Johnnie Parker, so they had some weapons. I'm not going to say it was impossible Charleston could have beaten them. I wouldn't put it past them, but I think it's a rare case where Charleston could have won a 4A district, and then run through the gauntlet that is the 4A state playoffs. A very rare case. Possibly in 1990, but you would have had to contend with an undefeated Raytown South team led by Mizzou's Jevon Crudup. I'm sorry, but I disagree. Beating Vashon one time on your home floor does not mean you would do it every year and certainly does not guarantee that you could beat them in the playoffs later in the year.

I also think Sikeston could have and would have won state in Class 3 in 2007 (beat Charleston, who won state), 2008 (beat Maplewood who won state), 2009, 2010, and 2011. But that's my opinion.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:48 AM

LU, class 4 is atrocious this year I have seen all of the top five either on tape or live, and it's not very good, also a team I knew little about in class 3 that is pretty **** good is St James. I still thin Charleston will be there in end though but MRH, Madison and Lutheran N are all very good.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:50 AM

Nobody cares what you think stlscott..Charleston's count is 11..What's your schools count?.

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:51 AM

^^I love stupid people, cannot have a dialouge without this ever, you have probably seen Charleston play and who they played and thats it, shutup ok.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:54 AM

I remember Jevon Crudup, him and Lamont Fraizer became teammates.I agree semohoops, it would've been a battle with Raytown South, but you know MAC would've had the troops ready to go!!!!!

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:56 AM

So Got Rings its really an advantage to play at a smaller school because if you love to play ball you will automatically make the team and get playing experience unlike some bigger schools where u either don't make the team or get much playing time. Does that make sense? From my point having a son that loves bball I should of moved to a smaller school where he could play bball a long time ago. Wouldn't matter how good they were just as long as he got to do what he loves. A little late now to think about this.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 11:59 AM

The formula....OFFENSE WINS GAMES & WELL....... YOU KNOW THE REST.(11)

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:00 PM

And also Gotringsdou, which is kind of weird for a high school sports fan to have that name, who the hell cares what you did in the past what does that have to do with anything? Bottom line Sikeston beat you and in all reality fairly easily, period.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:02 PM

CAN WE ALL JUST GIT ALONG.............?

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:04 PM

Nobody cares about what you think.LOL.Your school must not be very good..I must've gotten under your skin a lil bit there..What's your school's count?..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:05 PM

I honestly wouldnt be surprised one bit if Charleston doesnt win the christmas tournament, they are definetly beatable.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:06 PM

NOTRE DAME-13

ALABAMA-3

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:08 PM

TFA I agree with you small schools have an advantage when it comes to playing right away and getting experience..With only a hand full of players coming out basically every kid could have a shot..LU Tiger I just felt like bustin lil scotts chops..I enjoy bragging on them rings some aint able..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:11 PM

I went to Parkway Central rings, we play in the big boy league in every sport.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:15 PM

I aint ever heard of Parkway Central. Let me Maxprep your alum.

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:18 PM

300students attend CHS not like they get to choose to play in class5..What's your school's count??..You haven't answered that yet..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:19 PM

I also will say this to all the people in Charleston before it gets ugly, I respect the hell out of your basketball program I have watched it from Frazier, McCauley, Biles. Im just stating I dont think you are on a level with Maplewood or Madison, and when Lutheran North gets their stud back they are going to be difficult, also the schedule day in and day out in my opinion hurts you, play Maplewoods schedule and I bet you would have 3 losses right now.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:20 PM

Okay the colts....# 2 national football ranking, not bad at all.

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:22 PM

Let me look at that again though.

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:23 PM

Oops..read that wrong.

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:25 PM

St louis county school, and I have no idea the # of students, alot.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:26 PM

Yea Lu we definetly arent #2 in nation in football, but we did have a good squad.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:27 PM

Lil scott..Trust me this won't get ugly @ all..You got alot to say,but your avoiding the question.Got any rings @parkway central?.Besides we don't play maplewoods schedule and neither do they play ours..So that has nothing to do with anything.

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:29 PM

Lil scott? I like that, what has to do with nothing is how many times you won state, who cares you just got your ***** kicked by sikeston, thats the now reality , quit living in the past.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:36 PM

WoW your only talkin about 1loss..Really Lil scott is that all you got..Your school obviously has no titles..So you have nothing to brag about..You say living in the past Charleston IS the defending Class3 Champ..Which means still champ until they lose it..Present not past..We still winning rings here..#Now kneel lil scott and Kiss the RingSS!

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:46 PM

Stlscott, I'd be a little hesitant predicting that Charleston won't win state again this year. You said that last season too and had to wipe some egg off your face.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:48 PM

Its amazing Sikeston can even field a team with all the hardships they encounter and they have been able to overcome that disadvantage to rise above the glaring handicap of 3x the enrollment of Charleston and 8x of SCC. The difference between now and the past with Sikeston basketball is Holifield, to his credit, has built a tradition. These guys playing now have been exposed to winning and have grown up with the expectation of Sikeston winning. Kids want to play and be a part of it and are willing to make sacrifices to do so. That type of "tradition" has been at Charleston and SCC for yrs. For the most part the talent level has always been in Sikeston just not developed, encouraged, groomed or whatever word you would like to use. This will continue to happen in Sikeston as long as that pride of winning continues and kids grow up with the passion to be a part of it. It doesnt happen over night, which is kinda the point the Charleston fans are making, but it is happening in Sikeston, like it or not!

-- Posted by uncommon_sense on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:52 PM

I dont see the bluejays beating sikeston this year, and its and its much better for the fans to play the game in cape. Plus sikestons posters seem to have

well thought comments

with excellent grammer and attitude.

-- Posted by squawdad on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 12:59 PM

I thought Charleston was the best team in class 3 until I saw them play, you never were really in the game against Sikeston, remember preseason rankings have alot to do with nothing.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 1:06 PM

Scott u should of seen Charleston play North Little Rock it was a very good game.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 1:08 PM

Charleston 76

Sikeston 61

-- Posted by silentplayer on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 1:10 PM

TFA, I will say I have only seen the game against Sikeston, just wasnt that impressed.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 1:12 PM

There's been some games that I wasn't impressed with Sikeston ( I will probably get slaughtered for that) but that night we had everything going great for us Charleston didn't. So u really can't judge on 1 game is what I'm thinking

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 1:21 PM

What game did you watch scott? Seriously..It was a 3point game with a little over a minute to go..I would call that in the game..My jays did play a horrrible 2nd qtr I admit that and had 20plus turnovers..Yet they only lost by 10 and late free throws pushed the final score to 10points..Sikeston is top Dawg in class4..You talk like Charleston got turbo clocked or lost to some scrubs..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 1:21 PM

I totally agree I saw the Sikeston game against Cape and I totally thought Charleston would beat them, I cannot wait for the Sikeston Maplewood game I will be in Sikeston that night for sure, and also I want Sikeston to get in this Meramec tourney up here , hearing some slots are going to be available, possibly next year.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 1:23 PM

I love that excuse late free throws pushed the score up, ugh well yea they made them.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 1:24 PM

No excuse..Thats the facts..That's how the game ended.If you were there you would know that.By the way what's parkway Centrals record?.Charleston has 1loss..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 1:31 PM

Yes because Parkway Central has so much to do with this discussion and his graduation from there clearly dictated if he is allowed to give an opinion or not.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 1:33 PM

"No excuse .. Thats the facts."they only lost by 10 and late free throws pushed the final score to 10points. Sounds like an excuse to me.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 1:34 PM

Thanks for being reasonable sideline, we dont always agree but if people get mad when you state an opinion, it just shows how ignorant they are.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 1:37 PM

The bottom line is Sikeston is a very good team in a down class, they probably would win state in any year they are alot better than I thought, and JT Jones is one of the better ballplayers I have seen, and when Ruffin plays his game he is very good, although a little inconsistent IMO, Charleston is a good ballclub, but I flat out don't see them winning or even going to stae, and theyy arent as good as Sikeston.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 1:40 PM

The bottom line is Sikeston is a very good team in a down class, they probably would win state in any year they are alot better than I thought, and JT Jones is one of the better ballplayers I have seen, and when Ruffin plays his game he is very good, although a little inconsistent IMO, Charleston is a good ballclub, but I flat out don't see them winning or even going to stae, and theyy arent as good as Sikeston.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 1:40 PM

Also the fans down in Sikeston should go ahead and book a rrom in columbia, you will definetly not have a problem getting to columbia.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 1:46 PM

Take it how you want..I just state facts.What I said happened..Sideline if you would go up a few posts you will see why I mentioned parkway central..Post about Charleston fans in anyway and this is what you get..What's your ring count or how many games have your team lost?Mentioning my team what about yours.Some talk a good game until rings come up..Then you all either get quiet or say something lame like that's the past because your count is maybe 1or none..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 1:54 PM

How many rings do you have? And do you get a ring for a state championship?

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 1:55 PM

Well Charleston fans on Semoball minus a few (birdfan and a couple others) do not exactly give their fanbase a great name. At least the Sikeston contingent does their bragging sarcastically instead of clinging to their rings like it is the end all be all to who is right in their argument. I really don't want to have to post the link to the list of fallacies in argument again. It might as well just say "Arguments Charleston fans use" on it.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 2:00 PM

No reason for me to get mad lil scott..I never used words like shut up..Never called you ignorant or stupid..Just busted your chops buddy..You couldn't handle that..I'm cocky talk alot of crap 2,but I don't curse name call or disrespect anybody on here..If i disagree then I disagree..Hate it or love it..Count11

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 2:02 PM

I obviously cannot have a dialouge with you rings, I honestly dont even understand what you mean? And do they give out rings for high school basketball?

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 2:08 PM

I have 2from when I played ball lil scott..Had them made myself they didn't give us rings in the late 80's and 90's,but they do it for the kids now..The boys got nice ones last yr..Not clinging to anything sideline we are the champs til somebody else wins you know that..Bragging is bragging sarcastically or not..So it's cool when sikeston brags,but when Charleston does it's always somebody somewhere that has something negative to say..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 2:11 PM

i don't know gotrings, but I do know that they get rings for winning state

-- Posted by mz259 on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 2:12 PM

Whats with the lil Scott? what is lil?

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 2:15 PM

Read your posts lil scott..You told me to shut up, called me stupid,and ignorant as well..I didn't get mad just asked what your schools ring count is and their record..You refused to answer me..Maybe you don't know how to have any kind of dialouge..We don't have to agree

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 2:16 PM

It's not negative dude, it's an OPINION, a fact on the other hand is Sikeston beat you by double digits.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 2:17 PM

Why does Parkway Central's record or number of rings even matter?

-- Posted by sm0723 on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 2:18 PM

You started it, Ill finish it, I stated facts you state the past.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 2:18 PM

lil' is slang for the word little..C'mon now you know that..You got a nickname on semoball now..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 2:20 PM

Lil scott I was @ the game..I and everybody else in southeast Mo knows we lost by 10.Duh.Just what did I start?..Explain that for me buddy..Smo723 parkway Central is scotts school he said something about charleston so I asked about his school.I asked him a question yet he won't answer

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 2:26 PM

I was at the game too, and Sikeston is much better, ala the double digit win and I beleive the 18 point advantage in first half.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 2:42 PM

That's your opinion I don't agree..Bad as Charleston played Sikeston should've won by 30..If they were so much beter they would've(lead never got past18)..Charleston is a good team that has the ability to be great just had 1off night.That happens..They will bounce back..Sikeston has a great team no doubt,but a team can't be judged or written off based on 1performance..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 3:07 PM

Well rings I've enjoyed the back and forth, I apologize if I came off rude, I actually like your passion

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 3:30 PM

Matt Foley started this about SHS VS. CHS @the SHOW-ME CENTER instead of the JAYS NEST. But now some of you guys have changed the whole subject,stop it!!!LOL Get back to the opinion of should the game be played in the center or the nest! Like I said before,some of us on here go to far with our comments. Bringing up Coach Mac,Farmer,Holifield and there winning records has nothing to do with playing in January. Let the young men play to settle all this. And poor li'Scott,is up to his old tricks talking about how bad Charleston looks and the rest of the southeast teams. I don't take people like him serious cause he is so negative on southeast b-ball. So,should we play in cape or charleston?

-- Posted by pe-co85 on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 4:39 PM

I never said anything like that read the comments chief.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 5:23 PM

You're alright in my book lil scott..This is semo ball no need for anyone to get all worked up..Round2 after the game @SMC..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 5:33 PM

The only way Charleston beats Sikeston, is if Sikeston has a very off night in my opinion.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 5:55 PM

It is I...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 6:26 PM

Again, I live in L.A. but I grew up in Charleston, MO. It is interesting to read how y'all are all very excited about the local high schools back home. I wish that I was there to witness some of the history being made this year; however, here is my current, local high school teams' 2012-2013 basketball roster size: 6'3", 6'0",6'4",6'5",6'7",6'7",5'9",6'3",6'0",6'10",6'5" and 6'4". Let's keep things in perspective, shall we. I mean, has any team from back home ever been ranked nationally-ever? I can remember Vashon (St. Louis) being ranked but were they really playing by the rules? Let's keep things in perspective and just enjoy the games, shall we. I don't think that there is any need to become animous. Any of you guys want to bring your local high school team out here to take on my current local high school team at the Staples Center?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 6:37 PM

Good perspective straightout that Vashon team had players from about five different districts, and Bluff beat em down.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 7:13 PM

Does anybody know if the game at the SMC is a done deal yet?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 7:15 PM

Got rings if you drink a beer ill buy one down in cape,after the game I wanna meet some of ya'll.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 7:17 PM

Somebody call the wambulance!!!!

-- Posted by Brownbomber on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 8:45 PM

Well if the game is moved to SMC it would be a great move considering all that's goin on with school shootings an Sikeston nor Charleston has looked well on the news lately. So security would be my number one reason an second why not give more people a chance to make the game. Some of us can't take off at 3 an stand n line starting at 4 to be sold out at 5.I think that the schools should provide transportation for those wanting to attend even if it's a few dollars to ride the bus.CHS is doin what the SHS fans felt the first game of last year by a bias ref who absolutely wanted CHS to win the petty fouls on Tucker every touch jamison r Ruffin had was a travel and low and behold CHS crying lopsided fouls in their loss. Hilarious but I will say CHS will be better prepared as well as SHS. Coming from 18 down to 3 an double digits on foul shots could make the match up interesting.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Tue, Dec 18, 2012, at 10:35 PM

I know the '90 Charleston team was ranked nationally in the USA Today Poll, something like 21st. The Bluff team with TH probably was also. Also the '92 Charleston team as far as I know is still the best defensive team in "modern state history", gave up an average of 29 ppg not 38 ppg. Sorry not on topic just a couple corrections to a few posts.

-- Posted by uncommon_sense on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 9:30 AM

Sikeston's 2011 team was nationally ranked by Massey and Maxpreps.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 9:45 AM

As I have been reading posts by stlscott (a.k.a. lil' scott), I have this feeling of déjà vu. Could it be that this is the same Scott from last year? The one who said Charleston didn't belong at the Final 4, and made all the predictions about how Ritter, Lutheran North, Hogan where at a different level than Charleston. Look at posts under last year's thread by LU BLUETIGERS - TRIED TO HAND MT VERNON THE GAME - there is a lot of back and forth with "Scott" but his posts are deleted. Same dude, different handle?

-- Posted by Swish on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 10:37 AM

Papi, I was referring to entire season ppg defensive average. Take a look at that plaque and see what you come up with for a season average. I would be interested to see what it is.

-- Posted by uncommon_sense on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 11:58 AM

Which Charleston team(coached by MacFerron) was it that held Vashon to something like 19 points in a game?

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 12:58 PM

That was in the 93-94 season. I believe the score was 45-25 against Vashon.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 1:28 PM

That was correct. It was 25-5 at half time. Best defensive game I had ever been apart of.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 1:37 PM

I think Vashon was #1 ranked team when PB beat them like a drum. I don't know if PB was ranked nationaly but IMO it was the best team out of SEMO i ever saw play.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 2:31 PM

There are three teams out of the SEMO area that jump out at me as the best I've seen from this area. The 1990 undefeated Charleston team. Hansbrough's senior team at Bluff. And the 2011 undefeated Sikeston team. I would also put the 1980 Scott Central team on there, but I don't recall them as well. I've always heard that the 1980 SCC team and the 2011 Sikeston team are very similar.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 2:55 PM

Its Here!!

January 31st, 2013

Sikeston v. Charleston

Junior Varsity Tip Off -- 6:00 p.m.

Varsity Tip Off -- 7:30 p.m.

Tickets: $25.00 courtside (limited availability)

$12.00 Reserved Seats at midcourt in sections 107/108 & 122/123

General Admission: Adults $7.00 & Students $5.00

-- Posted by RedShirt on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 3:41 PM

for what its worth regarding rankings, check out the USA Today rankings for this year. As of December 16, they had Sikeston ranked #59 and Charleston #101 Nationally. They still show Charleston undefeated so its a little confusing to me how/when these rankings actually took place. Additionally, if you look at the state of Arkansas, N Little Rock is ranked number 1 in the state and #10 Nationally. I just found it interesting and thought i would share....

-- Posted by gerardo on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 4:17 PM

That's the prices? Seriously ? Who would pay $25 for court side and $12 for those sections? When we played SCC it was first come for whatever seats wasn't it? That's crazy

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 4:44 PM

It is I...I stand (type) corrected. I was unaware that a local team had been ranked nationally in the past. I apologize.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 8:08 PM

I thank you guys for all of the relative post. I like sports in southeastern MO. but I also enjoy high school sports on the national level and it is interesting to compare the two.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 8:11 PM

Mr. Porter is definately representing quite well out there in D.C.!

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 8:11 PM

Yeah Scott said N little Rock wasn't any good, apparently 10th nationally sucks!

I'd pay $25 for court side tickets. I would have rather gotten to charleston early like I had planned and gotten $3 court side tickets, oh well. Someone tell me where do I call/go to get tickets!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 8:48 PM

You would pay that really? Wow ! I think the paper says tickets go on sale Jan 4 at show me center but I could be wrong already threw the paper away

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 9:11 PM

Yep jan 4 at 10am article is here on semoball tells u the website to order also

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 9:21 PM

I love how people take these rankings North little rock isnt anywhere near #10 its a joke.

-- Posted by stlscott on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 9:30 PM

Thanks TFA! What article would that be!? Yeah, honestly I probably would pay that. do I think it is to high!? Sure do! But I hate sitting anywhere but court side or a few rows removed. So my hatred for other seats outweighs $25. That's also why I don't like gyms like Risco off Bloomfield, where you are removed from the court, and sperated by railing.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 9:33 PM

The article on semoball from the newspaper here in town. It's at the very top of the home page

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 9:36 PM

Oh okay thank you! My phone is messing up, so Semoball on my phone is messing up as well, I will go check on a computer!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 9:42 PM

North Little Rock didn't even have their full team during the River Bend! As statee in an article back on NOVEMBER 14TH. JUST FYI!

"All three teams are currently still involved with football.

West Memphis and North Little Rock are in the second round of their class bracket while Pine Bluff will play their first round game Friday in 6A.

"If they're out of the football playoffs, they usually bring in a boat-load of kids that can get after it," said Day. "

So, as mentioned earlier by a Blue Jay faithful... that win should have an * by it since North Little Rock wasn't at full strength!

RIGHT!?!?

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 9:50 PM

http://www.standard-democrat.com/story/1...

Here is the link to story Buck!

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 9:52 PM

Thank you Matt, I appreciate that! That helped a lot.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 9:57 PM

No problem...

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 10:11 PM

Ii actually picked Charleston to beat Sikeston on a guys word that covers them, I watched them play and by far Sikeston was the superior team.

-- Posted by stlscott on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 10:15 PM

Stl... I agree, but feel if Sikeston and Charleston play 10 times (no matter the site) each game would be close until tge end with Sikeston winning at least 8 out of 10 times. I have personally seen 5 Charleston games and every Sikeston game and feel Sikeston (right now) is overall a better team!

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 10:45 PM

I'll tell you this much... with these prices for the game they better hope KFVS12 doesn't webcast the game. Because with the prices as high as they are could lose tons of fans to streaming video on the web.

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 10:53 PM

The $7 for adults and $5 for kids are the same prices as the Sikeston/SCC game. Seems reasonable for a big time game.

-- Posted by trainhard on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 7:19 AM

Who's the best team? It's just like in politics, "what have you done for me lately?"

Charleston had the upper hand by winning both games, last year. Now, Sikeston has regained the upper hand by winning the SEMO Conference Tournament. Until Charleston knocks them off, they are to be considered the superior of the two. Makes no difference which team may have played their best or may have had an off night; a win is a win and a loss is a loss. If Charleston wins the rematch, then Charleston will have regained top billing; until that happens, Sikeston is the "top dawg"

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 7:29 AM

First off ,I love high school basketball!!!BUT this game at the smc is just a big money racket!!they said ,we want to move it to the smc so no one will be turned away, then they want $25 for courtside seats.Hell, just charge $25 a seat at ctown,an you will have plenty of room!!I hate this for all ctown kids & adult fans that would have got there early and seen their bluejays battle at the NEST,but in the name of the "ALL MIGHTY DOLLAR" that won't happen this year..I for one will NOT be at this game,not because of the cost.but because it's simply not the right thing to do and I WOULD NEVER SUPPORT SOMETHING LIKE THIS!!! PS I hope they don't make enough to pay the electric... just my opinion.

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 9:01 AM

Cool. You boycott it. Your absence will sadeen the masses. Most people could find $7 in their couch cushions. Skip going to McDonald's a couple times and you're there.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 9:17 AM

Sadden*

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 9:17 AM

oldcat you don't have to sit at courtside, Sit up in the nosebleed with the rest of us poor people.Let the people who never come to a game in the first place sit in the 25 dollar seats. I see people at the sik-Char games who never come to another game all year. Let them fill up the money seats.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 9:20 AM

I won't go to this game because I'm really not all that interested.... whatever.

But $7 for a ticket - is it really THAT big of a deal? I'm with yah-yah: most people can find $7 in their couch cushions.

For a few hours of entertainment? You can't go to a movie for $7. I'd say $7 (or even the $12 for the center court seats) is a fair price for a popular high school basketball rivalry with a lot of community interest.

-- Posted by seredhawkgrad on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 9:27 AM

The revenue generated from this game will go into both schools' athletic budgets, which benefits the kids. Why would you not be in favor of that?

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 9:29 AM

Heck Semo will have to dust those seats off anyway...lol

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 9:34 AM

Ok I looked in my couch cushions and found no money can I come to you guys house and look in yours? I do have a question tho when we played SCC there wasn't it all the same price? I know the first time we played them I was as far as way as possible because I didn't get there early enough. The second time I had good seats and I'm pretty sure I only paid the general admission. If they were all the same prices why is this one different? Just for my own curiosity

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 10:13 AM

#300 total comments and only about 25 of them were on topic!!!

Awesome!!!

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 1:34 PM

Wow! U counted!

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 2:38 PM

I agree with some of the posters I am by no means cheap but $25 for courtside seat and $12 for bottom bowl is stupid, I could go to a Billikens game or a big time tournament for cheaper than that.

-- Posted by stlscott on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 2:45 PM

stlscott - Billikens game for cheaper... really? Tickets at Chaifetz for bill's games are like $30 in the lower level, and $12 for upstairs at the end of the court -- as high as $40 for upper level at midcourt!

-- Posted by seredhawkgrad on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 3:31 PM

Big Papi from what I could understand from this next years game that was supposed to be at Sikeston will be played at the SMC, and the B-jays will host them later in the year.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 5:59 PM

They are splitting the gate because it costs money to rent the Show Me Center which the two schools are splitting so they agreed to split the gate as well. When you play at a neutral site and the money is going to the schools, it just gets split, that's the way it is. Charleston is making tons more money than they would if the game is at home but Sikeston also had to agree to the idea so both sides reap from the profit. I am also operating under the assumption that the game will be played at the Show Me Center again next year thus getting the teams back on rotation between home sites starting with the 2014-2015 game being played at Charleston. There is also the possibility that they choose to continue playing this game at the Show Me Center in the regular season if the crowds warrant it. With both being obvious top three in their class, the schools want to provide as many fans as possible with the opportunity to see the game which just plain cannot happen at Charleston when the Nest holds less than 1000 people. If for some reason the game is not at the Show Me Center next year, I do not know if Sikeston or Charleston would host the regular season game. My guess would be that Charleston would. A similar issue happened between Sikeston and Bernie where it was supposed to be hosted once at each place but somehow the schedule got messed up and Sikeston hosted twice in a row. To make up for it, they let Bernie host twice in a row the next two years. Hope that helps.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 6:08 PM

$7.00 a seat..........$20.00 for gas to the game..........people crying and saying how they was cheated after the game = priceless lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 7:15 PM

Papi....just for the record....this is my first post on this thread. Second....I have never called you "He Hate Me"....not sure where you are getting that. But anywhoooo.....I like the different price tickets. I plan on getting some of the reserved tickets so I don't have to get there at noon. Besides...my wife said we were getting them. Lol! Go Dogs!

This is to whomever said something along the lines of "those who are going to buy the reserved seats don't attend other games" and "a lot of people only come to the Charleston-Sikeston game and no others".....well those may be true for some, but not for my family and me. We are going to buy the reserved tickets. AND....we go to 99.9% of Sikeston's games....home and away. Yes, even the St Dominic tournament in St. Louis. Please don't use a broad brush when painting next time.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 10:02 PM

I will spend 100bux to support my dawgz!! Its all about the kids!! Go dawgz!!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 10:35 PM

Rocket where have u been? I was wondering where you were at in all this. I usually go to St. Dominic also but won't be making it this year money is tight! If I go to the Charleston game I'm sure I will be in the $7 seats I like being higher than everyone else. Lol

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 6:34 AM

Will "Joe BILL" be at this event in uniform?

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 9:23 AM

We hope not! Thanks for asking though!

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 9:30 AM

DA... Those 2 initials at the begining of your name can only stand for one thing when you ask a question like that...

I'm sure you know what that is, don't you!

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 9:39 AM

Maybe Big Papi should be "DA Big Papi" seems to fit you as well!

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 9:40 AM

I'm all for the game @ the SHOW-ME CENTER now. At first I didnt like the idea, but since we have "some" unruly fans, im all for it. I know if someone is caught throwing a bottle this time they will be heading to CAPE GIRARDEAU COUNTY JAIL and note that they don't represent the JAY FANS, I bet it's some kid who is wanting ATTENTION.

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 9:48 AM

It wasn't a kid who threw the bottle on the court at the fieldhouse. It was a grown man.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 11:34 AM

SAD.....

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 12:12 PM

If I was Mick Foley my typing would be as messed up as bearcat1forall.

Cause Mick Foley is jacked up!

I have no issues with you Papi...(accept that every post is a BACK TO THE FUTURE episode)

You love your school as much as I love mine. So, I have no issue with you having your Blue Blockers on about every topic. Even if most of what you speak of is a back in the day moment when you probably average about 3 minutes a game in high school, LOL. Actually I could care less if you played or sat the bench every game. If you know sports and can hold a conversation without getting huffy you will find out most Sikeston fans are the same!

Prediction for "THE RIVARY" @ The Show Me Center

Sikeston 68

Charleston 61

Bulldogs will be 2-0 this season against the Blue Jays and Sikeston fans will get to hear the "REMEMBER THAT TIME WHEN CHARLESTON........." lines until next season at the SEMO Conference Tournament!

LOL... Just a little friendly banter!!!

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 3:23 PM

It is I...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 5:18 PM

Go Dexter Lady Bearcats and all of the other teams from southeastern MO. that are state ranked and/or having a solid season thus far; I hope that we have representation in Columbia this year in multiple classes!

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 5:20 PM

I may be incorrect, but I am thinking that Puxico was the first team from our area of the twenty-fourth state to ever make it to the state finals?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 5:24 PM

Sikeston was clearly the better team, I see another double digit win.

-- Posted by stlscott on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 5:48 PM

I don't make guarantees. It'll be a good game. I have a hunch Sikeston will play Charleston better than you think He Hate Me but I'm not dumb enough to say one team is going to win. That's nothing but cockiness and ignorance. I think, let me say that again THINK, Sikeston will win due to their guard defense but Charleston has just as much of a shot.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 5:51 PM

Hey MF REMEMBER THAT LAST TIME SIKESTON PLAYED AT THE SHOW ME CENTER!!! them puppy dogs went home with a 20 point loss,I'm sorry I meant 19 lol..ps that could stand for matt foley OR take a guess ,you seem to be good guessing !!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 6:43 PM

I am willing to bet Scott takes a vacation for that one lol

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 7:21 PM

Not at all Terry, Ill be sitting probably where the press sits, not really sure how they do credentials down there if they even do, Ill let you all know, I just spent a week in North St louis I think me and my guys can handle the show me center.

-- Posted by stlscott on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 7:27 PM

Ignorance-lack of knowledge, education, or awareness. That's straight from the dictionary. It has nothing to do with talking when no one is talking to them. That is just you trying to come up with a reason to call me ignorant because it makes you mad that I find people that make guarantees for the sake of it to be lacking awareness. Also, whether you like it or not, you are talking to me as well as everyone else as this is a public forum. In a public forum, you are talking to all the public who have every right to read and respond when they see fit. Unfortunately for you, I am part of said public. If you want to talk to Foley without my input, find a way to message him in private to let him know your opinion. Also, I believe Sikeston would have won against SCC in 2011 in a decent game but it will never happen so if there is one thing that is true, it is that you do not KNOW what Sikeston would have got from SCC in 2011 just as SCC does not know what it would have gotten from Sikeston.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 7:30 PM

I like the difference between Charleston fans on this board and Sikeston Fans, when they first played I liked Charleston to win, and I didnt get the kind of responses when I said that from the Sikeston faithful that even if you say Charleston may lose they attack you, way to be classy Charleston.

-- Posted by stlscott on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 7:30 PM

If you don't understand that guard defense means "the defense our guards are playing", then you are just struggling.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 7:33 PM

DA

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 7:35 PM

Big Papi who cares what you think if anyone can actually decipher what you are saying, english motherf**ker do you speak it?

-- Posted by stlscott on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 7:14 PM

I meant a vacation for that comment lol

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 7:39 PM

Oh please, I love how you want to banish someone from this board for that, its the truth.I hate when things are ok on one side but if anyone says anything to them its the end of the world.

-- Posted by stlscott on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 7:43 PM

I dont want you gone, I could care less if everyone was able to cuss on here. Im just saying how some flip out when someone does and they want to ban them for it.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 7:47 PM

You're so cool.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 7:50 PM

Big Papi you are better than that, wait a minute no you aren't.

-- Posted by stlscott on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 7:50 PM

People who use profanity are either uneducated, uncouth, or just can't speak their native tongue properly. It's really just a bad, sinful habit. If Big Papi, stlscott, TerryHicks, or anyone else can't control themselves, they need to do the rest of us who would like to have an intelligent discussion a favor and just stay off the threads.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 8:11 PM

Nobody is scared of you Big Papi you are how old? Grow up chief.

-- Posted by stlscott on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 8:12 PM

Thanks for the sermon.

-- Posted by stlscott on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 8:12 PM

You cant seem to have a discussion of any sorts with these guys.

-- Posted by stlscott on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 8:13 PM

Was born and raised in Sikeston, parents are Scc Grads, you my friend arent smart.

-- Posted by stlscott on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 8:29 PM

Um, you all know all these threats and arguing is about kids playing a game, right?

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 8:46 PM

Big Papi, my post wasn't just aimed at stlscott. You need to watch the profanity too. Cussing in textspeak is just as bad.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 8:47 PM

Fatboy. Thank you. These people need to get their priorities straight.

Again, KIDS PLAYING A GAME!

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 8:52 PM

If I could underline and highlight KIDS PLAYING A GAME on this device i would do it!

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 8:53 PM

I agree with both of you I simply once again gave my opinion that after watching the Charleston/Sikeston game, my opinion is that Sikeston is a better ballclub, but some of these Charleston guys like last year act like immature little girls and go down this route, I watch ball all over the state and I like to let some of the people down south what quality teams are in other regions, and I also watch it very closely down there, as thats where I am form, also Preacher i really value your input on this sight, I apologize for the course language.

-- Posted by stlscott on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 8:59 PM

Wow! I'm in total shock that you guys get this serious someone needs to be the bigger person and just stop.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 9:07 PM

I appreciate it stlscott.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 9:19 PM

Yes sir, thank you.

-- Posted by stlscott on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 9:25 PM

You guys are so funny/childish! It is great that you support your teams to the end, but it seems that you cannot let someone disagree! I agree that some do not engage in dialogue in a mature manner, but two wrongs do not make a right! However I am entertained so keep it up! Maybe we should call Dana White and set up an octagon! Just relax and watch good basketball!

-- Posted by hs-sports on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 12:00 AM

Charleston is the better team because they prove it by putting the only lost on the number 7 team in the nation on the North Little Rock, Ark Team. They just had a bad game against Sikeston and the refs.

-- Posted by ballerd on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 2:26 AM

Sideline Starter rolls his eyes.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 3:08 AM

Obvious trolling is obvious.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 3:24 AM

I never once cussed in text speak or just flat out cussed but still my name got tossed in there????Little confused Preach

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 3:53 AM

No you didn't cuss Terry, even in textspeak, but you did say to stlscott, "I dont want you gone, I could care less if everyone was able to cuss on here. Im just saying how some flip out when someone does and they want to ban them for it." So since you endorsed it, I thought I should mention you too just to be fair.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 9:43 AM

It is I...I like all of the teams from southeastern MO. though I am partial to one...We are all intertwined; rather it be our kids end up going to school together or we end up going to college together (I am an alumnus of Southeast MO. St. U.) or we end up working together as adults or frequenting the same areas as well as sometimes moving from town to town. We are all rural, country relatives on here; let's try to remember that, please. This is all about high school sports: children playing a game. Let's all be cool and enjoy this-the love of high school sports that we share-as adults...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 10:55 AM

GO DEXTER LADY BEARCATS!

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 10:58 AM

This obviously has no place in this conversation, but I would like to say I have never had the privilege of watching these two teams but now will with things at the show me center. My message to you is that you have something special so don't ruin it by meaningless bickering

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 11:21 AM

Ditto, Bill. If this thread gets 1000 posts the game will still be played as scheduled and when the game is over we will know who won.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 5:22 PM

ballerd...

North Little Rock wasn't full strength. Still had players in football playoffs!

Refs had nothing to do with first game!

Sikeston played a more complete game. PLAIN AND SIMPLE!

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 5:45 PM

Matt Foley...

They still had they three main players and Kevaughn Allen, number 5 on the team, is ranked 29th in the nation in the 2015 class. Also they wasn't missing that many players on their roster, It was only 2 or 3 players.

-- Posted by ballerd on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 5:06 PM

Take out Watkins, Webster and Bogan(your 5th, 6th. & 7th players), put 3 jv players in the rotation & Charleston isn't going to be as good...

Good debate... Not

Heck you take out Cord Shehy, Jarius Ray and Kyland Gross and Sikeston's rotation takes a hit and team would take a step back.

Just being real!

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 10:46 PM

North Little Rock beat Bryant 133-66 with the same roster as they had versus Charleston. Bryant is currently ranked 7th in class 7 in Arkansas. The win over NLR was a big time quality win!

-- Posted by Swish on Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 12:11 PM

Tix on sale today!

http://www.showmecenter.biz/EventDetails...

-- Posted by DukePhan on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 7:02 AM

I'm not seeing the courtside seats on the website.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 10:02 AM

Also won't let me purchase a general addmission ticket. I am now opening up my recruitment as to where I will be seated. Either in the charleston or sikeston section. May the best team win, I can be pretty loud for your team haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 10:16 AM

Didn't have any trouble buying reserved seats at 10:02.

-- Posted by Marion_Morrison on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 10:40 AM

Buck- I beleive that the courside seats are only being sold at the schools. I think each school is alloted so many to sale.

-- Posted by trainhard on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 11:03 AM

Must be right trainhard! I didn't see any avaible on the website. I'll just grab a general admission ticket, thanks for the info!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 11:05 AM

Already purchased my tickets also. No problems. Go Bulldogs!!!

-- Posted by Sikeston fan on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 11:10 AM

Buck you can give me the $25 I will go to school and buy them for you!!

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 2:00 PM

This is hilarious that these two teams are playing at the showme center haha games that should be moved to the showme center should be games like the Sikeston vs. SCC game a couple years ago. This is not a big enough talent game to be playlng at the showme center.

-- Posted by CTalum5 on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 2:20 PM

Neither are the Jackson/ND, Cape/ND and the Jackson/Cape games!!!

-- Posted by localfan on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 3:35 PM

This one has more business there than the ones that I just listed!

-- Posted by localfan on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 3:36 PM

CTalum5, you must be joking.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 4:39 PM

Thank you TFA, I really appreciate that. But I think I will just get a GA ticket and try to get there early to get in the sections beside the reserved seats.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 5:09 PM

The two center sections are the reserved right? Also Buck that means u have to sit and yell for Sikeston since I offered. : )

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 5:37 PM

Localfan. The Cape Jackson and ND have been there for many years. They didnt move those games yo ye showme center because they were good games. So therefore your statement doesn't make sense. And preacher tell me why this game is worthy of being at the showme center? I know their the best two teams in the area but that's just because they just suck less than the other teams in the area.

-- Posted by CTalum5 on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 9:25 PM

CTalum5, it's only the biggest rivalry in SEMO! And yes they are the best teams in the area and no neither team "sucks" (your word, not mine)! If you think so, may I recommend the services of a good optometrist?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 9:34 PM

I will put my two cents in but whenever Sikeston plays charleston at either place fans have to be turned away because there's not enough room so maybe they just thought they'd make it so everyone can see. If its in Charleston u have to get there by at least 5 and Sikeston by 6. Not many schools can say that around here.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 9:46 PM

Which is the same reason the Cape vs Jackson and ND games are played at the showme center because everytime they play it would be sold out. I'm not really talking about the game itself being played at the showme center. I'm talking about he hype behind it.

-- Posted by CTalum5 on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 11:15 PM

Oh is there alot of hype ? Haven't noticed

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 4:28 AM

The last time Sikeston and Charleston played it was a packed house with several hundred turned away at the door. That's 2500 inside and at least another 500 outside. You add another 1000 to 1500 people who will go to the game just because it's at the SMC and you got 4500+ people, easily. Which is more than the Cape/Jackson and Cape/ND games will draw. As for the hype, you've got 2 of the top teams in the state of Missouri playing each other. And as Preacher Man Fan said it's the biggest rivalry in SEMO, if not the state.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 5:17 AM

I heard Cape chanting "this is our house" at the Christmas Tourney when they were down 15. Maybe CTalum feels the same way.

-- Posted by Swish on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 7:16 PM

Some peoplre are always negative... Sikeston wins games and people say they need to go play St Louis teams.. They have done that and been successful. Dogs looked good today. What I see is a team, not great individual players but outstanding teamwork and hardwork. Great win dogs.

-- Posted by Winner11 on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 8:01 PM

I was at the Cape-Jackson District Championship game last year and it was about two thirds full. That won't happen with a Sikeston-Charleston game ever.

-- Posted by Winner11 on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 8:06 PM

Great point winner. Sikeston just needs to take care of business as a team and not buy into the negativity of the panel of judges that constantly pick at them. Winning is a breeding ground for those who lay in wait for a loss to pick apart teams. The dogs seem to be tuning things up in orderly fashion for when it counts most.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 9:48 PM

Sikeston did today what really good teams do. They dominated a lesser opponent and played with incredible energy.

They looked like they had something to prove.

After seeing Charleston at the Christmas tournament i can honestly say i did not see that same level of energy against lesser opponents.

Charleston looked like they expected to win, and they should, but they just did not have near the attitude that Sikeston showed today.

If Charleston doesn't pick up their effort the SMC game won't even be close.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 10:04 PM

Can I get confirmation on this from someone whose opinion o trust? I figured we just played a down team and got our business done. Not sure how this game shows anything about how Sikeston and Charleston would play each other.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 10:24 PM

I* trust?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 10:25 PM

If you think Charleston won't be energized against Sikeston, think again. I don't care what kind of team Sikeston has or what kind of team Charleston has, this rivalry is always emotionally charged.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 11:18 PM

Could not care less if you trust my opinion or not, as always!

Sikestons opponent was not good and they hammered them.

Charleston was not able to do that recently.

Charleston looked complacent and if they bring that to the SMC it will be ugly.

Sikestons view appeared to be that they would show everyone today how good they are.

Charleston looked like they are living on last years, and many previous years, accomplishments.

Sikeston is the better team. (If they keep the chip on their shoulder!)

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 11:18 PM

Who did they coast against? Parham was injured the whole tournament and still was able to play well against Jackson and Cape. They beat both teams by around 20 and neither game really seemed in question. I don't see where Charleston played an opponent who was "not good" and didn't "hammer" them. You are just providing a lot of speculative conjecture with nothing to back it up and it is disrespectful of the work the Charleston players have put in this year. I will be rooting against Charleston when they play Sikeston but I respect Coach Farmer, the guys they have on their team, and the program they have. The Bulldogs and Blue Jays are very evenly matched and will be in another great game. Yes, Sikeston took care of business today but as someone who knows the players decently, they just wanted to go in and take care of business today, not send some sort of ridiculous message and while some Charleston posters on here love to live in the past, the guys on the team currently are not relying on what they have done but what they hope to do. If Sikeston is going to beat Charleston, it'll have nothing to do with some sort of metaphoric chip on the shoulder. It will have to do with them being the better team, playing great defense against Charleston's guards again, getting the guys inside (JT and Reese) going early to work some inside-out penetration, etc.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 11:53 PM

Did you actually read my post? Well, you may have...just didn't comprehend it.

We're talking about Charleston-Sikeston....not about Sikeston playing anyone else or Charleston playing anyone else....Charleston and Sikeston...comprendo????

Ask any Charleston or Sikeston fan about this rivalry and if either team has EVER come into the game passively.

You, my friend, must not know much about this rivalry; what does who Sikeston played today have anything to do with The Rivalry game? ZILCH!! And, yes, they may be your opinions but I'm here to tell you, your opinion is waaaaaaay off base.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 11:58 PM

Opinions can be wrong birdfan. His is.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:00 AM

sideline,

i accomplished my mission of getting you to admit how much you admire charleston.

we all should!

i have seen them both play in the last week and if charleston plays like they did at the tournament in cape they will lose big.

i am sure that they will be more motivated against sikeston but the killer instinct is not easy to turn on and off.

we shall see in a few short weeks!

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:10 AM

I'm sure that was your "mission". What a crock.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:13 AM

what's a crock?

and if you had been at the game today you would have seen the message they were sending.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:21 AM

btw,

all credit to coach holifield for he handled those situations.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:26 AM

I've talked to more than enough people who were at the game and I got the same thing from them all. Sikeston played against an overmatched opponent and got things done. This is nothing new. What may be a "message" to those who don't watch Sikeston regularly is just another game to those of us who always keep up with the team. Sikeston didn't play today thinking about Charleston or anybody else. They focused on the team in front of them and didn't get distracted whether it be by high rankings, their struggling play in their previous game, the upcoming tests against Maplewood or Charleston, or by sending a "message". They came in just focused on winning against Parkway South. Coach Holifield preaches a lot about keeping things focused only on the immediate opponent and not taking games for granted. This is nothing new.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:33 AM

another mission accomplished with your rambling assessment of something you didn't even see.

dadscatfood sighs!

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:49 AM

And yet somehow I can still know more about the subject at hand? Amazing, isn't it?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:57 AM

no doubt that you are amazing!

you amaze everyone on here everyday, and i thank you for that.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 1:01 AM

Someone on here has to impress and people who want to get on a sports forum to not talk about sports or try to create "messages" out of thin air sure aren't the type to do it.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 1:03 AM

again the least of my worries is to impress you or anyone else.

the credibility that goes along with your anonymity counts for nothing.

i made an assessment of something i have actually seen at a sporting event and i will stand by it.

sikeston is better than charleston at this point.

again we shall see in a few short weeks!

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 1:12 AM

Sideline's not that anonymous. I know who he is. And for the right price, I will out him.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 10:43 AM

Sideline's not that anonymous. I know who he is. And for the right price, I will out him.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 10:43 AM

dadscatfood: You're right about one thing: Sikeston is better than Charleston. You're wrong about this statement about Sikeston "They looked like they had something to prove", if you think it only applies to the one game you've seen, at the Cape Shootout. I didn't see the game, but got regular updates. Typical Sikeston effort. They play hard until Holifield puts in the subs. They have something to prove every single game, and it is that they are the best team on the floor. I agree that Charleston lacks that intensity.

-- Posted by Marion_Morrison on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 10:49 AM

I will, once again, state that when it comes to playing Sikeston, Charleston will not lack intensity....they never have, they never will.

Charleston's earlier loss to Sikeston was not due to lack of intensity; they just got outplayed.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 1:12 PM

Ive watched the Charleston Sikeston game a few times now, and I seem to be the only one who thinks that Sikeston was just alot deeper and just a better team that game was not really that close, told Sideline in another thread if Sikeston beats up on Maplewood they may be top team in state,, that game is going to say alot to me.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 1:23 PM

Charleston just came off the biggest margin of victory in a championship game in the history of the SEMO Christmas Tournament.

-- Posted by Swish on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 1:27 PM

I'm sorry but that semo christmas tourney victory doesn't do much for me, very weak.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 1:35 PM

I'm pretty sure Charleston's win over Cape wasn't even the biggest margin of victory in the championship in the last three years.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 1:37 PM

^^ Not for sure but I'm quite positive that isnt the biggest margin of victory.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 1:39 PM

I just found it. SCC defeated Jackson 75-34 in the championship two years ago. So Charleston didn't even get halfway to the largest margin of victory in the last three years. That game may not even be the largest.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 1:51 PM

My facts were wrong. I misread the article. Charleston has more championships (I think 17) at the tournament. : / oops

-- Posted by Swish on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 2:32 PM

All good swish. You are correct on that one.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 2:34 PM

rocketsbro,

that would be awesome! i will see what i can put together and try to catch up with you :) !!!

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 8:07 PM

Marion,

your point was my point.

it did not matter to sikeston who their opponent was, they were there to get after it regardless of who they were playing.

charleston did not show that same intensity in the Christmas tournament.

i have no doubt the sikeston v. charleston game will be intense. i saw the first one.

charleston just better be able to turn it on for the game.

sikeston looks like they are always ready, no matter who they are playing.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 8:14 PM

Sikeston folks....regarding tickets, what sections has the ShowMe Center been issuing tickets for SHS?

First time I tried to order online, I placed an order for Charleston side and it told me what tickets I had; out of curiosity, I cancelled that order and placed an order for Sikeston side...it gave me the exact same tickets!

-- Posted by birdfan on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 10:03 PM

Ooo...this is going to be awesome lol. Red and blue make purple...going to be a sight to behold at the Show Me Center.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 10:06 PM

Bird fan did u get general tickets? If so I don't think it matters u can sit anywhere as long as its not in the reserve sections where they are paying more

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 10:18 PM

Does anyone know what they are doing as far as student sections go?

-- Posted by semo501 on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 10:39 PM

Assuming they'll do like they usually do, each school's student section is on the end behind the basket.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 10:44 PM

No, I got reserved. They have updated the website that tells which side is which; that info wasn't there when I originally placed an order and cancelled due to the confusion. I've read where several who purchased tickets early, both Sikeston and Charleston, had to call the ticket office to get their purchase straightened out. So, I just want to make sure that I did, indeed, buy Charleston side tickets. If not, guess I'll be right in the middle of a sea of red!

-- Posted by birdfan on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 10:48 PM

I'll just let Kelly Campbell tell me about the game. I'm not as much of a traveler as I was a couple years ago.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 10:53 PM

cmon farm... it wouldn't be a game without you there, enjoying the atmosphere to give a birds eye view of the game. spend a couple bucks and get to the game.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 10:57 PM

I'm not kidding...I've just lost it lately. I used to hit the "key matchups" matchups every week all over SEMO. This year, I'm too lazy to drive 3 minutes over to the Field House to watch Sikeston play MRH.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 11:02 PM

lol... old age has set in.....I understand...

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 11:07 PM

All down hill once you hit 24 lol

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 11:08 PM

Rivalry tickets for the whole family $45. Rivalry tshirts for the whole family $30. Watching the Bluejays beat down the Bulldogs---PRICELESS.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 5:00 PM

In my opinion Charleston played way better opponents then Sikeston. North Little Rock and Dyers County would of probably blew out Sikeston. And we beat North Little Rock, which is 15th in the Nation and was in a tied game until 4th quarter against Dyers County. And both had D1 talents on both team.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basket... - Dyers County player, Robert Hubbs

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/nor... - NLR Ranking

http://future150.com/hs/basketball-profi... - North Little Rock Player, Kevaughn Allen

-- Posted by ballerd on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 5:36 PM

Sikeston beat DC twice last summer. Once at Dexter without Hubbs, and once at DC with Hubbs there and Ruffin out.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 6:10 PM

Bro....thanks for dispatching another post full of silliness.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 6:55 PM

And guess what ballerd....Sikeston beat Charleston so now what

-- Posted by sikeston train on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:57 PM

If Charleston don't turn the ball over 14 times..Jays win by 8..Go Big Blue!!!

-- Posted by theotherside23 on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 6:52 AM

If Sikeston don't turn the ball over they win by 15

-- Posted by sikeston train on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 9:38 AM

I just want to witness a great game & no injuries.

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 9:40 AM

LU Bluetigers, Amen to that. Hey guys just remember these forums are for opinions and conjecture. Not everyone is going to agree. Keep it civil. For example, was reffing a game last night and a lady yelled the common fans opinion," call it on both ends" I looked at the scoreboard and the fouls were 8 to 8, so I just smiled and pointed to the scoreboard. She smiled back and said, "I'm sorry". That made me laugh and remember, in all honesty, 'Its just a game." Ha!

-- Posted by semo ref on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 10:04 AM

Yeah semo ref or when a team loses by 1 and they blame the ref but the team that loss was 1 for 15 from the foul line

-- Posted by sikeston train on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 10:29 AM

I'm a Bluejay til the day I stop breathing, but what seems to amaze me was that Bratcher was at the YMCA running On a treadmill after practice, or on his off day.. We need a recreation center in Charleston so that the jays can benefit from it come game time

-- Posted by theotherside23 on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 11:58 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.