[semoball.com] Login | Register
Post reply Read replies (177) More threads Create thread

JACKSON BASKETBALL
Posted by Bluecando on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 9:28 PM:

Why are they so awful this year? Who are they missing from last year? I thought they had all these sophomores, did they just decide not to play? They have to have one of the worst defenses ive seen in a long time. I'm just wondering who they are missing from last year, because they are worse this year than they were last year. Extremely disappointing.

Replies

If they had some really quick ballhandlers theyd be dangerous but they are very slow getting the ball up the court against quick teams and thus very susceptible to fullcourt pressure and even halfcourt pressure when they run their offense. They have all the tools except speed, and semo is all about up tempo.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 9:41 PM

talked to a friend from Jackson and learned some info that may explain some of their problems. their pg has been battling a leg injury for the last several weeks and has not been near as effective as he could be so far.

karsen king also missed several weeks in the preseason and is still working to get back into shape. he also had a ankle problem. that is better now but he did not get any conditioning coming into the season.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 10:41 PM

Make all the excuses you want, the Coach owns this issue. A school the size of Jackson shouldn't have a problem replacing a PG or a big man that go down with injuries with players good enough to start on most any other team. The program, for the most part has under performed for this Coach's entire tenure. Sure they're competitive, but they should dominate every year.

-- Posted by semofan23 on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 6:17 AM

They were lucky to get the 5th seed in the Christmas tournament.

-- Posted by Stinger Fan 12 on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 6:29 AM

Semofan23 may be correct.

Jackson is the largest school in the area. How in the world are they only good enough for a #5 seed in the Christmas Tournament? Not one school in this tournament has a larger enrollment.

"How to build a long term Successful sports Program in Jackson". Talk with Coach Wachter.

-- Posted by UFO on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 8:06 AM

UFO....very true of Coach Wachter!

-- Posted by bball_hs on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 8:32 AM

NO PASSION TO PLAY!!!! That is the history of this Coach. He just can't seem to motivate the boys to play with the desire and love for the game. It's almost like they're burnt out. Hard to believe 16-18 year olds can't find the passion. As a former Jackson Indian player from the 80's I can't tell you how hard it is to go watch. This falls right back to the coach. Any coach who can't motivate his players will NEVER be successful!!

-- Posted by semofan23 on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 9:15 AM

I think Coach Scott does a good job for Jackson. Are they underachieving? Absolutely. Contrary to popular belief, especially among today's parents, a high percentage of that falls on the players. I am sure that Coach Scott and his staff put the team through the paces and training to handle what other teams throw at them. Players have to execute the game plan. I have never heard of a coach telling players to go make silly fouls rather than playing hard nose defense. I have never heard of a coach training players to turn the ball over or have terrible shot selection. All of these things have plagued Jackson thus far, but it is not for lack of practice or preparation. Players have to play the game. No one commenting on this thread has likely been inside a Jackson practice at all, myself included. I just know Coach Scott and the coaching staff and those men work hard at their jobs. They try to prep the players and continues to make in game adjustments. This is the process of growing a team, and a program in any sport, in any town.

I feel for all coaches at all places for all sports. Instant gratification and the coddling of student athletes by parents, fans, and others have led to a no-win or at least an extremely difficult to win situation.

Good luck to all coaches, all teams, and all players.

-- Posted by officerrodfarva on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 10:34 AM

I think Coach Scott does a good job for Jackson. Are they underachieving? Absolutely.

-- Posted by officerrodfarva on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 10:34 AM

I had a son that played for Coach Scott and I did see a few practices. I will say that very few coaches are as well prepared as he is. He puts alot of effort and time in to his preparation.

But he is still responsible for there play on the court when it comes to intensity, execution and most of all, motivation.

-- Posted by semofan23 on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 11:08 AM

They are tall, but they don't have much team speed. I don't think any amount of passion is going to make them faster.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 11:09 AM

Speed does not make you passionate about the game! I'm sure you could ask many guys if Larry Bird was fast and the would say no but no one had more passion for the game and he beat many guys from smarts and quickness!

Fast doesn't always win games! Quickness, anticipation, and desire to want to win does!!

This team appears that they do not want to win!

Coach Scott can control shot selection and other parts of the game. If a kid is not doing his job sit him down, explain to him why he is sitting.

There is such a thing as over prepping!!

-- Posted by localfan on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 12:00 PM

The talk of poor coaches sickens me. If the parents would place team basketball before their own little superstar, we would all be in a better place. Parents would rather their own kid make all-state, rather than the team win a state championship. Don't blame the coach...blame yourself and your kid for only picking up a ball when Coach Scott is in the gym working with YOUR son.

-- Posted by okachaw on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 12:08 PM

You are right. Jackson isn't quick either. That's a physical attribute. Passion won't make them quicker. John Wooden wouldn't make them faster or quicker. Could they play better than they are currently playing? Probably, but they still wouldn't be that great.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 12:17 PM

I love how coaches and teachers want all the blame on the kids and the parents. If your taking pay for doing the job and the results are poor, there are consequeces. If your the manager of a failing company whos going to be replaced the manger or the employeess? Its the man in charge that has to make the best of what he has and some are better at it than others. Just because your life ambition is to coach and you put in the time, it doesnt mean your good at it. Im not directing this at just Jacksons coach but all coaches and school members.

-- Posted by BIG G on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 1:15 PM

okachaw, this team is not playing team basketball at all and if they haven't after 5-6 games that does fall on the coach. Who is the leader anyway?

If the kids aren't playing team ball after that many games put other kids out there. The only kid on that team that could possibly have the ability and talent for awards isn't even playing hard!

They said Jackson didn't have any talent in football but with the same kids a coach that knew how to be the boss and motivate kids improved a team that the old coach said was useless.

-- Posted by localfan on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 1:19 PM

Big G I completely agree with you.........

except only in college and the pros. Yes there should be accountability amongst the coaches, but you have to remember they don't get these kids all year round and oh yeah they are KIDS!!! People are getting out of control believing that their kid is a stud, and their team should be amazing but once they play a team and lose it's automatically that the coach has ruined their son/daughter and needs to be fired. It's a ridiculous trend that needs to end.

At the end of the day these are high school kids, not professional athletes! People need to back off of blasting coaches and players on here! I am sick of semoball because all it has become is a place to bash other team's players, and their own coaches. Why can't we just talk about upcoming games and match ups?

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 1:32 PM

Well said Kobeyashi.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 1:47 PM

Don't get me wrong...Attitude and effort fall on the coach. The coach must demand both. After that, it takes a kid/family who is willing to put in meaningful hours with a ball in his hand. If the kid does not invest the time into his craft, the parent can't fight the battle for his kid. It is happening every where...95 percent of kids do not even deserve the playing time they are currently receiving. It is a societal epidemic...no work ethic!! Don't lay at the feet of coaches who ARE working hard to make the best out of nothing.

-- Posted by okachaw on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 1:48 PM

Big G, as a manager of a company who is responsible for hiring and firing the people that are running it? the manager. in high school sports and academics the teachers do not get to choose who they teach and coaches do not get to choose their athletes. they work with what is there. i agree with kobey, in college and pros the managers and coaches get to choose who to be in their system so they are held accountable for winning and losing.

-- Posted by bigriver333 on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 1:51 PM

Wondered deep into the season it would be before the Indian faithful got all worked up about Coach Scott.

-- Posted by bulletman on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 2:00 PM

Been worked up since they hired him. As for the one talking about the kids not putting in the time......that's HOGWASH......it's not like it was when I was in school, times have changed. Most of these kids live in the GYM. It"s darn few of them that don't spend most of their time ( year round ) playing and practicing. My kid was no different, I hauled him all over the country playing while he was growing up and their were lots of other parents doing the same thing..... If you go back to the start of this thread....I don't recall anybody complaining about playing time and such!! It was about attitude and passion. Playing hard, unselfish, team basketball and that starts with the coach.

-- Posted by semofan23 on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 2:30 PM

One more thing.....anybody who thinks the coach is not the motivator need look no further than the new football coach. Amazing what a little motivation will do.

-- Posted by semofan23 on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 2:34 PM

semofan you bring up another great point.... if all these kids are playing so much more basketball in the past why is that a general consensus is that basketball has really been down the last couple years?

Isn't that Hogwash?? haha sorry I just crack up when people use that word....

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 2:38 PM

*so much more basketball than in the past.

Sorry didn't do my review, and edit.... my English teacher would be very upset.

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 2:41 PM

Semofan...you summed up my thoughts on an earlier post about the kids looking like they are burned out. Kids are being dragged (drug?...someone will point out my grammer)all over the midwest at the age of 9...10..11 playing countless games before they even hit jr. high. Then we wonder why they are not playing high school ball. Most of the time they are taught to play the game but not how to play the game. We are so concerned with winning games and playing games that they are never taught how to play the game fundementally.

Having said that, I get frustrated watching Jackson not utilizing the strengths they have...big, tall, strong inside presence. I watched it all last year and seeing it again this year. I watched the play called out to get the ball in the post to a 6'9" kid that is posted and sealed on a 6'2" kid and instead a shot is thrown up from 24'. Coach Scott screams, yells, takes the kid out only to have it happen again. Yes, that falls on coaching to some degree. But...its never little Johnnys fault that he refuses to listen. Bench him then you have little johhnys parents calling a meeting to oust a coach. And if a kid isn't passionate about playing, thats not on the coach. You can't teach heart, you can't teach desire.

At the end of the day though, its only early December and only 5 or 6 games. Be patient, be supportive and not counter-productive.

-- Posted by Attaboy on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 4:41 PM

There is a big difference in a kid playing allot of basketball year round and working on his skill level.Playing on travel teams and playgrounds doesn't mean he is going to get better. There is way more to the game then standing behind the three point line and shooting. The boy that lives across the street plays all the time. He is always shooting.He has a great shot but cant dribble or make a lay-up the right way. Most parents don't understand how much the talent level has changed in sports since they where in high school. Back when I was playing in high school the kids who got a chance to play on a traveling team or went to summer camps had a leg up on other kids. That simply isn't the case anymore.Today a kid needs a workout routine to follow everyday that will improve every part of his game and conditioning. I put the success of a team on a coaches shoulders. Yes its up to the kids to preform but its the coaches job to prepare them. If a kid doesn't follow his plan then he doesn't play period. He cant be afraid of the parents. If he wins nothing is said. If he looses it doesn't matter if the parents are mad or not. Either way he's going to be looking for a job.

-- Posted by oldschoolbballer on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 5:49 PM

Someone made the comment that Jackson's point guard has had injuries. If they only have one player who can handle the ball,teams like Charleston,Sikeston,and Notre Dame will eat them alive. You see young kids playing in there yards and all there doing is shooting the three. No matter how good a shooter you are, if you can't take care of the ball, you will never make it on the court with the good teams.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 6:40 PM

Its hard to win in this area without really good guard play and speed. Thats two thigs jackson is not loaded with. If they can figure out how to adapt they have the size and the shooting to be dangerous. Sometimes the coach has to say this isnt working and go back to the drawing board with a new plan.

-- Posted by BIG G on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 6:59 PM

I agree with the original poster but I'd warn every team in the christmas tournament, you better keep your eye on Jackson I'd say they can beat anyone in that tournament if they play good ball, Charleston included.

-- Posted by stlscott on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 7:06 PM

Isn't that Hogwash?? haha sorry I just crack up when people use that word....

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 2:38 PM

Kobeyashi, glad I could humour you a little. If I were talking one on one to someone my term ( hogwash ) wouldn't be what I'd have used, but in a public forum I think it works.

Definition for Hogwash: noun 1. refuse given to hogs; swill. 2. any worthless stuff. 3. meaningless or insincere talk, writing, etc.; nonsense; bunk.

-- Posted by semofan23 on Fri, Dec 14, 2012, at 5:46 AM

I am sick of semoball because all it has become is a place to bash other team's players, and their own coaches. Why can't we just talk about upcoming games and match ups?

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Thu, Dec 13, 2012, at 1:32 PM

Ditto. It's not enough to simply root for a team anymore. You must also attack and disparage. Honestly, I just don't understand the anger with which some people post. In general though, the Internet is a cesspool, so I shouldn't be all that surprised by what this site has devolved into.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Fri, Dec 14, 2012, at 7:13 AM

"THE GAME HAS CHANGED" as i sit and read these comments i can't help but to just shake my head.

Jackson use to be a power house in baskettball both on the girls and boys side of the house. But the difference between then and now is the game of baskettball has changed. Kids use to play this game to try and get scholar ships for college. But we as parents have given our kids so much these days that they forget what it means to earn cause you worked for it. Don't get me wrong i have spoiled mine as well.

As a former college coach, I really feal for the high school coach cause he has to satisfy the school and parents who think there kids should be playing more whether they are good or not. But every program will fail when it comes to the political side of the table. Example the football teams new coach motivated the kids but i remember hearing him say " I don't care who your parents are or how great you use to be the only players that will be on this field playing is those who work and earn it" and look at the results from that.

-- Posted by sportsman23 on Fri, Dec 14, 2012, at 9:49 AM

As a Jackson Alum.. I'm tired of seeing Jackson get humiliated by smaller schools because our coach sits in the sideline like he doesn't care. He runs the wrong offenses for the height we have every year.. He needs to go! You hear me Rita Fischer.. get ride of your boy who we all know you had hired!!

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Fri, Dec 14, 2012, at 9:57 AM

Thanks sporstman23! I feel that is what the main point for me is. Play who deserves to play and who earns it! Not just because of the past or who your parents are!

Football should have opened a lot of eyes to this!

Bottom line is if something isn't working after a prolonged time make some changes!

-- Posted by localfan on Fri, Dec 14, 2012, at 10:27 AM

...and to comment on the kids playing traveling ball all summer doesn't give them a leg up i would have to disagree. It's the type of talent you go play that makes you better. If your the king of your neigborhood that is as good as you will get. But it takes talent to sharpen talent, and some one that will help develop that talent on the coaching side.

Good luck coaches all over the district cause its a tough job but remember anyone can play with talent but in order to win you must first know how to develop it.

-- Posted by sportsman23 on Fri, Dec 14, 2012, at 2:05 PM

my buddy from jackson reports a 71-56 win at waynesville shootout. they trailed by double digits in the first half.

they played strafford who was undefeated and ranked in top ten in class 3.

granted they are class 3 but it could get something started for them.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Sun, Dec 16, 2012, at 3:28 PM

I really dont understand how Jackson can have such great talent every year and it just doesnt seem to work out. This seems to be a reoccuring theme in the Coach Scott era. I think back to Pius and Reddecker Mirly teams --- Goodman Leet days Clark Mcdowell Williams days,the John Meyer years all very talented groups that never really come together. Grant Pius had Hansbrough to go thru. I do hear one thing alot every year from parents in the Jackson program kids dont know their roles on the team which builds a lot of frustration. They never have a large group of seniors that stay together,hopefully that will change with this group.

-- Posted by objective fan on Sun, Dec 16, 2012, at 4:16 PM

Scott is a horrible coach, he completely ran the Notre Dame program into the ground. He has no clue that you coach the kids that you have, you dont coach a certain way just because thats what you like to run. In the 07 christmas tourney championship they played Bell City. BC had Bogan and Jackson played man the entire game. Bogan had over 40 points and over 20 rebounds and Jackson lost, never once trying to go to zone, just pure ignorance.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Sun, Dec 16, 2012, at 4:20 PM

That is because if you play zone you are just giving up and saying the other team is better than you. Real teams don't play zone. Or at least this is what Coach Scott told me. He also told me that a good team will never go more than seven players deep because you can't get tired in only 32 min of game time.

-- Posted by semoindian2 on Sun, Dec 16, 2012, at 5:36 PM

And ignorance like that is why Jackson can't get out of districts but once every now and again while Sikeston has an undefeated season playing zone swapping in ten different players.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Dec 16, 2012, at 6:20 PM

If he did say that.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Dec 16, 2012, at 6:21 PM

semoindian2,

if coach scott said that, then that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Zone is a great defense to run, and actually is more effective than man if it's run the right way. For example, in college basketball, Florida State has had arguably the best defense in the country and all they play is zone.

And great teams can go deep into their bench (SCC for example)

-- Posted by grizzfan93 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 12:10 AM

Jim Boeheim has 900 wins playing zone

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 8:04 AM

Darrin Scott at Notre Dame.

2001 20-8

2002 20-8

2003 20-8

2004 6-20

I'm not sure how this would be considered "running the program into the ground."

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 8:49 AM

semohoops,

How dare you use facts to validate your post. This is semoball, if you say it or post it enough times it has to be true. Facts just get in the way. Apparently 21 wins was the above ground mark for ND basketball 01-03.

-- Posted by uncommon_sense on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 11:56 AM

My bad. I should know better.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 12:01 PM

Give this coach 2 fast guards and he'd easily win 20 games this year. They simply plod this year. Lotsa talent, not enuf speed to play in these semo trackmeets.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 12:46 PM

Was Newcomer a senior last year? And where is the Lysell kid that was a sophomore, he was the quickest kid on their team, right? Maybe not the best ballhandler. As I can recall, he was the only one that could play any defense for Jackson. Did he decide not to play, or what?

-- Posted by Bluecando on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 11:02 PM

I'm not sure how this would be considered "running the program into the ground."

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 17, 2012, at 8:49 AM

Semohoops, just curious if you would happen to know the record and who the Coach was at Notre Dame for the 3 years prior to Coach Scott's arrival. Most know what happend when he left and Coach Hale took over. Is it possible Coach Scott was winning on what someone else had built? When that talent pool was gone he was in trouble? Just a thought.

-- Posted by semofan23 on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 11:45 AM

Chris Neff coached them for one year prior to Scott. Prior to Neff, Chris Janet was there for 7 or 8 years. So as you can see, Scott led ND to three good seasons, exceeding anything they had done the previous four years. Obviously Scott's last year was not very strong, but that happens. Down years is part of it. I certainly would not say Scott ran the program into the ground. If anything, he kind of got it going for a while. He won two district titles at ND, the school's first in 6 years prior to his arrival. Now obviously Coach Hale turned ND into a powerhouse, winning three districts and a state title and a 2nd place finish. But you can't discount what Scott did either.

2000 15-10 Neff

1999 13-13 Janet

1998 7-17 Janet

1997 9-17 Janet

1996 22-6 Janet

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 1:38 PM

Ballislife23: Newcomer was a senior last year and Calvin Lysell had to have hip surgery which will keep him out for the season

-- Posted by semo501 on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 7:28 PM

Hale took that team that was 6-20 to state the next year and got 4th..... Just saying,

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 12:37 AM

Hale is a hale of a coach. Just saying.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 12:48 AM

@semohoops... are you related to Coach Darin Scott??? You keep defending him and what he did at Notre Dame... We do not care what he did at Notre Dame. Its what he isn't doing @ Jackson that matters!

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 12:04 PM

No relation. Just stating some facts mixed with an opinion or two.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 2:01 PM

sort of a man crush hoops???? lol. football fan, he seems to be providing stats and records. Those said stats are disproving some accusations of Scotts coaching. Whether or not what's going on in the Jackson basketball circles is the coaches fault, meddling parents, or players not getting the job done is a common concept when a team is not performing up to the expectations built by the fans.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 2:01 PM

As I did last week, I am going to use this platform for something bigger than Basketball.

I am a Jackson fan and will not apologize for that.

There is a 10 year old child from Jackson, Parker King, that was severely injured in an accident and is fighting for his life.

The town of Jackson rallied tonight to pray for him and his family.

I am asking for all who read this to do the same.

Thank You and God Bless Parker!

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 9:35 PM

Also, please spread the word through the other threads you may be reading.

Again, Thank You!

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 9:37 PM

I heard about that catfood! We actually prayed for him at my church this evening. We will continue to pray.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 9:41 PM

Buck,

Thank you so Much!

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 9:47 PM

Wow, Jackson showed up to play at this tournament. They demolished a suffering SCC team. And contended with Charleston. I believe if it wasn't for poor officiating the game would've been much closer. But nonetheless, they have significantly improved. Good to see.

-- Posted by Bluecando on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 2:38 AM

not understanding how an 18 point win is demolishing an opponent and an 18 point loss is contending & how can you say that poor officiating led to the game not being closer. jackson couldn't handle the charleston pressure defence and turned the ball over numerous times, you must have been watching a different game. the officiating was pretty good in my eyes

-- Posted by runner50 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 9:10 AM

Ballislife, I agree. I wondered when I saw mcferren out there why he would be doing a Charleston game. And then Propts doing Central. He has kids going there or that recently graduated.

Not that Charleston needs or needed help in any game but it seemed that Jackson could get to within 10 and all of a sudden here comes mcferrens whistle. Nothing blatant, but a non 5 second call or three second call, etc

I know these refs are like politicians, once they get there nothing gets them out. Most of the officials now are old and out of shape and are still trying to get up the floor and miss calls. I'd prefer to see two young refs than three old out of shape biased ones.

-- Posted by Semo10038 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 11:18 AM

Anyone who thought those officials were biased was watching the game with their own bias. Several missed calls on both ends, which is typical.

Of course, we in the stands always tend to see things differently when our team is on the wrong side of a win.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 11:33 AM

the only connection al mcferron has to charleston is that his brother coached there many years ago and in no way would this influence the way he calls a game.there were missed calls both ways but in no way did it have anything to do with the outcome. jackson got beat by a better, more athletic and more defensive minded team. it seems that no one works harder on defense than e-town, it other teams would work as hard there as they do with their 3 point shooting they may win more games. good luck to all the teams today it should be a very good championship game.

-- Posted by runner50 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 12:03 PM

What I found most upsetting is the Jackson crowd chanting "Who's your daddy?" at our young men. Such behavior is blatantly racist and uncalled for. Tournament officials should have stopped the game and issued a bench warning to Jackson. If it continued then a technical and fan ejections were in order. It's one thing to scream about a blown call or non call; it's a whole other thing to direct hateful racist insults at the players. Jackson should be really proud of what they are teaching their young people *sarcasm*.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 12:29 PM

could you please tell me how in the hell this was RACIST.. PLEASE I would to hear this!!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 12:54 PM

If I have to explain it to you, then you are either to naive or too stupid to understand it. The behavior of Jackson fans was uncalled for. Lets just leave it at that.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 1:00 PM

Look I have been a SCC & Ctown fan for a long time,I am not stupid nor am I naive,but if "WHO'S your daddy?" is a problem, then it,s your promblem not theirs...and its **** sure not RACIST!!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 1:15 PM

The thing about people who come out and say this or that is racist is that they when asked to explain how it is racist refuse to with a cop out ^(clearly above). For 1 of 2 reasons. 1.) It's not actually Racist!(Whoda thunk it) OR 2.) explanation would involve acknowledgement of wrong doing(Faults that are shown time and time again) in there own 'racial community'.

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 1:15 PM

Well lets just see if Jackson uses that same chant toward the ND players tonight. Perhaps you can turn a blind eye to such behavior, but I cannot. Perhaps YOU can enlighten me as to what the fine upstanding students of Jackson meant by their chant. Maybe I am the stupid one here. *listening to become better informed*.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 1:25 PM

I never heard the chants. But agree it shouldn't be taken as racist.

Honestly, I don't like any of the chanting. It's not 10 year old soccer. But watching college games it is a big part of the game.

And about the officials, I've been watching games for many years and last night it seemed charleston got breaks when the score was closer and Jakson got some calls when Charleston had a comfortable 14+ lead.

Everyone knows the officials will even up the number of fouls by games end, but sometimes it's just timing that changes momentum, etc.

With that said charleston was and is a better team than Jackson this year and the better team won.

-- Posted by Semo10038 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 1:41 PM

Again, could someone explain to me just what the chant was supposed to mean then perhaps I could better understand how it was not intended to be racist. *all ears*.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 2:20 PM

I wasn't there not am I from Jackson, so it not my place to say. However for being so arrogant about acquiring how its not racist, you have yet to say how it is, which was asked first. *All Ears* *Just Interested*

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 2:42 PM

Again, if I have to explain it to you you are too naive or too stupid.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 2:55 PM

All I will say about this discussion is that, being from Charleston, chants of that nature are interpreted in a totally different light; particularly when there is a history of Charleston players having been subjected to offensive language from opposing players from this school, both on the gridiron and the hardwood. So, it's easy for a Charleston person to interpret the chant as being a racial slur.....just sayin'

-- Posted by birdfan on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 2:55 PM

I may be naive, so quit coping out. Lets hear it.

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 3:13 PM

Not taking the bait Shakespeare; figure it out

-- Posted by birdfan on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 6:03 PM

He just been out foxed because he came with a ridiculous statement and now he's going to be wrong no matter what he says. I enjoy daily life's little chess matches

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 6:25 PM

I love reading these blogs. Although I have no horse in this race, I couldn't for the life of me understand the "racial" aspect of this chant so I Googled it. Maybe you guys should do the same. It seems to be connected to male dominance in a sporting event...I didn't see anything related to a racial slur, but maybe I am naive as well?

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 6:51 PM

That's what I was thinking also like maybe Jackson did something like a dunk or who knows what. They are sitting with Charleston tonight yelling with them maybe someone should ask but I do see where people might think otherwise just have to not think negatively

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 7:13 PM

Ladybug, you may very well be correct in your assertion that the chant has to do with male dominance in a particular sport. In which case, Jackson--the Bluejays from Charleston are YOUR daddy. Check and mate.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 8:56 PM

Then I guess it is sexist, not racist? Maybe you should check out what is going on in India. But then that would ask someone to look at a bigger pucture. Can you do that? You are an idiot.

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 9:17 PM

By the way, you win the chess match. I do not cheer for Jackson even though I grew up there...I did cheer for c town tonight as I watched the webcast. What a great team they have, loved seeing a talented group of kids win. Good luck to c town the rest of the way. Have admired c town since I was in high school some 30 years ago when McFerron was the coach... Just stop with your racist/sexist crap...it deminishes accomplishements of kids, and perpetuates hate...let it go dude.

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 9:35 PM

Talked to a Jackson resident, tonight, who was sitting by a couple of Jackson coaches when the chant occurred. He said they couldn't believe what they were hearing and that it would be dealt with. Therefore, unless you were there and heard it at the time it occurred and in the context that it was used, you can't really make an accurate assessment.

The Jackson students atoned for their misstep, tonight, by sitting with the Charleston students and cheering for the Jays.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 10:36 PM

Think about the chant literaly,as a question, directed at young minority athletes who they believe don't know who their fathers are.Kids are kids and don't always know how hurtful the thngs they say can be. Hoefully the coaches that took notice can bring about changes in the future.

-- Posted by purple mountains on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 11:16 PM

*things

*hopefully

-- Posted by purple mountains on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 11:18 PM

I think Jackson fans showed what they are really all about this week with their support for their team, their best player, Karson King and his family in their time of loss.

A chant at a game is just a chant to support their team.

To try and make this a racial thing Is way off base.

The Jackson community had a big loss this week and they all came together to support each other.

I think everyone from Jackson should be proud how they all came together through this situation!

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 11:28 PM

For those of you who may not know.

The King family laid to rest 10 year old Parker King yesterday.

It has had a big impact on the community and I just hope we can all take one more opportunity to pray for them and all kids in this world!

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 11:33 PM

Well said.

-- Posted by Semo10038 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 12:06 AM

Well said.

Well said.

I agree with those of you whe say its time Jackson

look into another coaching prospect. I hate to see all the talent they have go to waste. Its the coaches job to make sure he taps into all the atributes a player has to offer. Its his job to bring positive attention to his team and do his best to get his players noticed by colleges so that they can continue their playing career. This coach is not doing that. Dont get me wrong, I like the guy but Jackson can do better. My son also likes him but wants a coach that is more inspiring. This coach is in my opinion in over his head and is more suited for a smaller school in a different area. No other team in this area plays his style of ball and that is obvious to anyone who has seen what happens to his team when they are pressed. Anyone who has watched these boys grow up playing ball toghether knows what they are capable of doing. Its really hard to watch that go to waste.

-- Posted by boothillballer on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 11:34 AM

Jaxons a good team, they will win 15-18 games this year, dont know anything bout the coach though.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 11:41 AM

What are your opinions on their potential in the district tournament after the recent realignment their district has gone through?

-- Posted by semo501 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 12:02 PM

Bring back coach Birk. He would know how to use the size and talent that Scotts teams have under performed with.

-- Posted by eagle87 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 12:14 PM

Who they play in distrix?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 5:18 PM

Distrix helps managed service providers and service delivery organizations provide cost-effective and flexible remote management services for operational technology, control systems and IT equipment.

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 6:08 PM

Hahaha! Sorry but that's just funny

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 6:13 PM

For Bill....."Just when I thought you couldn't be any dumber, you go and do something like this.....and totally redeem yourself."

-- Posted by Attaboy on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 6:46 PM

Jackson plays Lutheran South at the Cape shoot out Saturday.

Does anyone know anything about them?

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 7:53 PM

Bill, you keep me reading...how funny.

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 7:55 PM

Google's amazing, isn't it?

-- Posted by birdfan on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 10:35 PM

But i still dont know who jax plays in distrix. Little help here?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 12:25 AM

District is Jxn, PB, fox, seckman and oakville.

Played at oakville this year.

Info from mshsaa website.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 12:51 AM

McFerron, Hollyfield, Cookson, Farmer, Hale,etc,etc, Jackson wins state title with team they have

-- Posted by blue73 on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 10:24 AM

boothillballer - if your son needs to be inspired to play he probably shoudnt play. The focus should be winning high school games not playing in college...thats a side task to the job.

-- Posted by Austin29 on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 1:33 PM

Jackson doesn't have a point guard. The best bigs in the state can't help if the ball handlers have 20+ turnovers.

-- Posted by Semo10038 on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 4:11 PM

You are right about the guard situation in Jackson.

The two kids running the point right now are seeing their first varsity experience due to their starting point being out with a stress fracture.

The kids working that spot are a junior and a sophomore and the soph is a more of a 2 guard.

That being said the guard play is improving as they work into their new roles.

They handled the Notre dame pressure much better than the first meeting, resulting in a big win.

They won the games in the Christmas tourney they should win and except for the run in the second quarter against charleston they showed signs of being competitive.

They did not go away and had chances to make it single digits in the fourth quarter.

Jackson fans have something to look forward to if they keep making the strides they have lately.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 5:57 PM

Hey Jtown11, winning in Highschool goes hand in hand with getting noticed by universities. What college would look at a school with a losing record. I'm sure that If you would have not been so quick to have a knee-jerk reply to my comment. This could have all had time to sink in. Just in case let me spell this out for you.

All people that do somthing great have been inspired.

When you are inspired you play better.

When you play better you have a better chance of winning.

When your team wins your team gets noticed more.

When your team gets noticed by right people the players on the team have a better chance to be a part of another team when they graduate.

-- Posted by boothillballer on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 7:56 AM

I must say there is never a dull moment on this blog. But as i go watch a lot of basketball through out the year the one thing i see is that the youth leagues for this area is horrible. Sorry not trying to offend anyone but if you dont develop your future you will continue to see the same results. My friend complains to me all the time how good jackson could be if they had some one to work with the youth. But instead you have a 7th grade coach who has never played the game, and a 8th grade coach who seems to be a little better but you can tell he doesn't know a lot either. No offense to those guys but they probably were put in those spots cause they couldnt find anyone to do it. Hince you have kids walking away from the game cause no one is teaching them. But i go watch my buddies daughter play in this league held by the city and i just crinch at the fundimentals that are lacking. But once again i use to recruit this area very hard for basketball players, now you see kids who show potential but your really affraid to take a chance cause they all look mentally beat down. Just my opinion....

-- Posted by sportsman23 on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 9:36 AM

I will clear this up. It was not a racist chant. There were rumors spread among the Jackson students that Parham has a kid on the way. I have no side on this. I do not know if it is truth or not either. I'm just clearing up the fact that it was a not a racial slur.

-- Posted by Bluecando on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 7:56 PM

And also regarding the BASKETBALL program... A lot of you are talking about Jackson not being able to handle pressure well.. I agree. But Daume will be back in a few weeks (I'd imagine), and Lysell will also be back next year. The team next year looks like it could be a very well rounded group. Regardless of coaching, this team will be good next year. You have 3 sophomores getting their first minutes on varsity this year. They will develop, as well as Karson king and josh Daume. You have brandon lueders who is getting his first varsity experience as well. This team is young, and I, as well as many other believe that they will be great next year. The defense is the missing key. This year they should run more zone. From what I've heard through the Jackson community, Lysell was really the only one to play defense for them. That being said, he will be key next year for them. But altogether, if King doesn't play well, they aren't great.

-- Posted by Bluecando on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 8:07 PM

ballislife23.

please tell me more about Lysell.

what was his role last year and how will he be the key for the team next year?

it would be great to hear some more positive things about the future of Jackson.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 8:34 PM

I was impressed with Blake Reynolds, considering he's only a Sophomore. It usually takes big kids a little longer to get their footwork, coordination, etc down, so I think he may be a good one eventually.

-- Posted by PatK on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 8:34 PM

Lysell has a motor that doesn't stop. Good defensive guy. Put him on a teams scorer and he has the ability to shut them down. He's quick enough to guard point but long enough to guard a forward if needed.

Only problem is he is an exceptional runner and may decide to go that route his senior year.

-- Posted by Semo10038 on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 10:33 PM

@dadscatfood

I worded that somewhat incorrectly. He will be one of the many keys for Jackson next year. I've watched a handful of games this year and Jackson hasn't looked well defensively. I think Lysell could bring somewhat of a spark to that area of the game. Offensively, from what i saw last year, as long as he takes care of the ball, it'll be fine. Daume, King, and the big men can cover the scoring for the most part. @PatK i agree with your post about Reynolds, especially after watching the Christmas tournament. He played very well.

-- Posted by Bluecando on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 12:06 AM

I can see next years team being better than this year. As long as Jackson can keep everyone healthy. I noticed even a couple of freshman that could probably play up next year.

They are playing JV this year. Our taller players are getting better and better at attacking the goal and seam to not be as timid at defending and rebounding.

-- Posted by boothillballer on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 8:16 AM

Jaxon has the talent to win distrix for sure and theyve gotten better each game. I would agree theres a coaching issue if they dont win distrix.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 10:16 AM

I have covered the team every game for local media, and it boils down to simply not having talented enough guards. Granted, right now, Josh Daume is out with a stress fracture, and Calvin Lysell isn't able to play with a hip injury. That's the starting PG who is lightning quick (but 5'11") and a solid small forward at 6'3" off the bench. That said, here's the simplest way to explain what ails Jackson: Remove every player 6'3" and taller for every SEMO conference team, and does Jackson do better, worse, or remain the same? There's 0% chance they do better, and very, very likely they do much worse. If you let Daume, McDowell, Wendel, and Freise play Sikeston, Charleston, Cape, or ND's guards without Karson King on the wing or the big guys inside (who will be great next year) to make easy layups, they would get dominated. As a full team, JHS has grown since the season opener (see the two games vs ND), and Coach Scott has done an admirable job this season without his engine at point guard in Daume. They won't beat Sikeston or Charleston, and could very well beat Cape, but did anyone on here or anywhere in this region think coming into this season they could beat either of the top two teams?

-- Posted by JHSBall2007 on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 1:28 PM

Coach Birk coached the girls team

-- Posted by eric birk on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 6:25 PM

JHS--dadscatfoood said they had the best point guard to EVER play in Southeast Missouri...Surely if they get him back it would make a HUGE difference??

-- Posted by bulletman on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 6:36 PM

I just watched jacksons Freshman lose a game they should have won. This slow pace basketball that Scott is teaching has got to go. Come on Jackson schools you can do better than this.

-- Posted by boothillballer on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 6:54 PM

Birk coached the boys.

Cook was the name of the girls at the same time.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 6:59 PM

bulletman

i never said he was the best point guard ever. i said he "handled the ball" as well as anyone, maybe ever.

of course he started the season injured and has not been able to show what he is capable of.

he will certainly be a big help to Jackson if he can get healthy and return this year.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 7:06 PM

Jackson doesn't have a point guard. Even with Daume back. He tries to score too much. Pass is the third option after dribble and shoot. He is a 2 guard. If Jackson had parham, Ruffin, or even Jimmerson they win conference and Semo Xmas tourney. Good point guards pass first and shoot when it's their last option. Not saying they can't score but...

-- Posted by Semo10038 on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 8:29 PM

semo10038.

since they don't have any of those guards what are they going to do?

it seems hopeless for jackson.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 9:09 PM

addendum: according to your assessment semo10038

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 9:13 PM

Team work. Don't try to dribble so much. Use their size to pass down the floor. They have several kids that can handle the ball, just not like the known, proven point guards in the area. During the Xmas tournament I noticed King bringing the ball up some. He isn't a point guard, but does create mismatches and he is their best passer. The biggest thing is the kids that do bring the ball up just take care of it. They are improving each game and they have a tough schedule.

-- Posted by Semo10038 on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 9:41 AM

If I was Jackson's head coach I don't want King bringing the ball up the floor. His( and Jackson's whole team really) only weakness is lack of speed. I agree that King should have a larger role in running the offense, but I saw King try to bring the ball up in the Notre Dame game last Sunday and he looked frustrated to put it mildly. The guy who brings the ball down the court doesn't have to be the PG necessarily which what we all forget sometimes. I would suggest that either Jackson's fastest players bring the ball up the court or get creative and have three guys bring it up every possession as if the were facing a full court press every time.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 10:12 AM

I agree with you Bunk. Karson is not a point guard. He is best when moving without the ball. You are also correct that if you don't have a true point guard then you use a rotation or have several do it. Josh Daume is a good ball handler and as quick as anyone in the area, but he was also needed to score for us early in the season. With him being out, we have had some people start stepping up in the scoring department, so hopefully that will allow him to concentrate on running the point when he comes back.

-- Posted by BKing24 on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 10:52 AM

Jackson did today what a team that wants to be good should do.

They beat another team they should beat and did it convincingly.

King is finally getting back in shape and is really showing what he can do. Score but still find the open guy for the easy bucket. Rare for a great scorer to be willing to share that much but that is what will make this team good as the season goes forward.

A lot of other players are really stepping up and the team aspect is taking shape.

If they keep working like they have been this team could be pretty good by the end of the year.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 10:13 PM

I watched the game on sat & what disappoints me more than anything is the lack of hustle by players to get back on defense after making a turnover. It happened many times where a player turns the ball over & then jogs back to play defense. Very disappointing to see this & most coaches accept & say nothing just allow it to happen.

-- Posted by runner50 on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 5:07 PM

runner50

i agree that if you turn it over you should work twice as hard to not let that turn into a basket for the other team.

not clear if you are talking about jackson or making a general statement when you say "most coaches accept"?

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 9:37 PM

I too was there to see the lack of hustle. It almost seams like the players are just going through the motions sometimes and not pushing it. What I would like to know is does it drive anyone else crazy when we have the jump on a team and don't drive to the board. When I have asked players why this is, their answer is because that's not the play and coach will get mad even if they score. What!!!!!

Someone explaiin to me why my head is about to explode!

-- Posted by boothillballer on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 8:00 AM

Quiting on a play just cause you made a mistake is not an option.

-- Posted by objective fan on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 7:09 PM

If bad shots go in (minus buzzer beaters) it's still a bad shot.

-- Posted by semo501 on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 7:45 PM

This is starting to sound like we need some BillShakespear thoughts. Art thou hether?

-- Posted by Swish on Mon, Jan 7, 2013, at 7:54 PM

i saw a lot of the not hustling back on defense in the jackson game saturday but it is a common occurance on a lot of teams

-- Posted by runner50 on Tue, Jan 8, 2013, at 5:04 PM

Should be an interesting test to see if they can go up to Lindbergh for three days and make some noise against a few tough potential opponents

-- Posted by semo501 on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 7:51 PM

Who do they play first?

-- Posted by objective fan on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 4:14 PM

Miller Career Academy they are playing right now. halftime 26-25 Jackson

-- Posted by eric birk on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 4:43 PM

Jackson won 59-56

They play the winner of #1 Rockwood Summit and #8 Lindbergh

-- Posted by semo501 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:25 PM

Jackson handily beat summit... Wow

-- Posted by Bluecando on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 12:10 AM

Who will Jackson play in the championship tomorrow ballislife23?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 12:14 AM

Hillcrest

-- Posted by semo501 on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 12:27 AM

Thanks semo501.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 12:31 AM

This could be the week that determines the future of Jackson's program,

They have Cape, NMCC and PB in the next five days.

There was a lot of potential for this team, but it has been unrealized so far.

The PB game may determine the #1 seed in districts.

They could also come out of this stretch at .500 which would be unacceptable.

Too much talent for that to be O.K.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Mon, Feb 4, 2013, at 9:18 PM

Wow that is a brutal 5 day stretch, oughtta be interesting. Jaxon seemed to be rolling until that friggn ND game. Theyre better than nd durn it!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Feb 4, 2013, at 9:28 PM

It is a brutal challenge for them. It could also be great if something positive comes from it. Just not feeling real good about it with the lack of intensity they have been showing. I think if they could get two of the three it could propel them the rest of the year.

Unfortunately I thought the same thing after the Lindbergh Tournament and they did not follow that up with good effort.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Mon, Feb 4, 2013, at 9:47 PM

Maybe knowing what it feels like to win again (last Friday @ Farmington) will cause them to come out with more urgency than they have the last few games

-- Posted by semo501 on Mon, Feb 4, 2013, at 10:24 PM

Good win tonight to start a tough week for Jackson.

They brought the most effort and intensity of the year so far.

Hopefully they can carry that through the rest of the week, and year.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Tue, Feb 5, 2013, at 11:39 PM

schedule for this week is tough tough tough. I hope they will play the next two games with the same intensity as last night. You JV guys need to hustle up and dont turn the ball over.

-- Posted by Native Father on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 9:00 AM

Great win for ur boyz!! Two more to go, both winnable if they stay focused!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Feb 6, 2013, at 9:45 AM

Jackson was 3-0 against good opponents last week but the real test for them is tomorrow night against a state ranked team from their own class 5.

No disrespect to the teams they played last week, they are all obviously good teams.

Just saying that if Jackson is going to do anything in the playoffs this will be the litmus test to see if it is possible to make a run.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Mon, Feb 11, 2013, at 8:31 PM

Too bad it is their senior night. Whoever did that scheduling should be ashamed for not giving their seniors much to work with. No room for error against CBC!

-- Posted by semo501 on Mon, Feb 11, 2013, at 10:32 PM

So True 501,

I would love to see DeLoach get major minutes.

No better teammate in SEMO!

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Mon, Feb 11, 2013, at 10:49 PM

CBC might have the most talent in the state, but they often are far less dominant than you'd think. They have 3 probable D1 kids--Barnett, Doby, and McCaw--and a Mizzou football recruit, Penton, in their starting lineup. They are big, athletic, and they they have 4 guys in their first 7 who can knock down the three. Their press, if they use it, is pretty effective. They also have some depth.

They sound unbeatable on paper, but I've seen less talented teams give them all they want. The point guard play has not always been consistent, and they sometimes settle too much for outside shots. And some teams have had good luck getting the ball inside against them, despite their size.

It's important not to get intimidated by them early. Doby is not highly skilled, but he can tear the rim off the backboard. And Barnett, the most highly regarded of the three, can also get off the floor. McCaw, the other possible D1, is more of a smooth player. Doesn't overwhelm you with his explosiveness, but can get his points in a variety of ways.

I haven't seen Jackson. I'm sure CBC is the favorite. Just wanted to provide a little info on them before the game.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 3:37 PM

If CBC is motivated it could be a rough night. I believe Karson King played on the Eagles summer AAU team with Barnett And McCaw.

-- Posted by objective fan on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 3:53 PM

To anyone who was at the CBC game.

This has been bothering me since that night. Jackson was down by only 8 with 3 minutes left in the game with the ball. They went into a 3 man weave against their zone and after close to a minute settled for a 23 foot 3 point attempt.

Seemed to me like the coach was OK with keeping it close instead of looking for a way to actually win the game.

Thoughts?

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 7:46 PM

Oh boy dadscatfood, I have nothing but confusion about the last four minutes of this game. I am no coach and there is possibly a lot about the game that I do not understand. I thought that they stood a better chance of driving to get fouled, that way they had a chance to make up some points off the clock. but it seamed they only wanted to shoot the three. Tell me where I am wrong in this thinking.

-- Posted by Native Father on Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 9:22 PM

You don't have to be a coach. A little common sense goes a long way is what Grandma said.

-- Posted by jumpshot on Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 10:00 PM

Your thoughts are exactly on point. Don't know anyone who would run a weave against a zone.

Goodness, how much potential for this team.

Unrealized yet again.

Again, I just felt like the coach was satisfied "keeping it close" against the #3 ranked team.

I really believe they could have had a shot to win if they had been aggressive like you said.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 10:07 PM

Glad to know I'm not the only one out there that is iritated about this. I dont want to sound like a coach basher because I may have some stock in this venture. On another note the boys played hard. They have a another big game with Hillsboro coming up and hopefully Jackson will come away with a win.

-- Posted by Native Father on Fri, Feb 15, 2013, at 8:29 AM

Jackson better not overlook Hillsboro because they are a steady team who looks to drive and score or kick to their shooters.

-- Posted by semo501 on Fri, Feb 15, 2013, at 1:43 PM

Bye bye Hillsboro.

-- Posted by Bluecando on Tue, Feb 19, 2013, at 10:22 PM

Yah good win, hillsboro is top seed in their district. Coach scott has em on a roll, he's going for semo coach of the year!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Feb 19, 2013, at 10:48 PM

This thread was started by ballislife23. Last night the Bye bye Hillsboro comment was posted by youarebad and I noticed at the top that the original posters name had changed to youarebad also.

Now they are both ballislife23.

Just wondering how that happens, a bit confused.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 8:25 PM

On my cellphone and they both are ballislife23, so not sure how that would happen. But as mentioned the Indians are looking really good right now and should win their district and possibly knock off the district 2 champion

-- Posted by semo501 on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 9:09 PM

They are looking good. Man coach Scott must have something against Hillsboro or their Coach.

Had a 35 point lead at the half and left the starters in almost the whole third period.

Anyone know of a history there?

Great to see DeLoach in the game late in the fourth!

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 9:26 PM

Ballislife changed his username which changes the username for all posts made by that person. Now, it looks like they have changed it back.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 9:29 PM

sideline, Thank You.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Wed, Feb 20, 2013, at 9:35 PM

I may not agree with how Coach Scott leads his team, but he may just have them ready for the District Tournament. The way they came out and played tuesday night was awesome!

Finally using the height advantage that we always have and playing inside.

-- Posted by bballparent on Thu, Feb 21, 2013, at 7:38 PM

I agree, Jackson played a great game Tuesday night. However, a couple things make me think the Indians better not overlook Hillsboro if they face them in districts. One, we shot the ball ridiculously good in the first half...seriously, I think I only counted 2 missed shots the entire first half. That is not always going to happen. Secondly, Hillsboro played us pretty evenly the second half. They did a better job of taking care of the ball, and not letting us get as many open looks at the basket. If we face them again in districts, on a neutral court, don't be suprised if it is a close game.

-- Posted by coachref on Fri, Feb 22, 2013, at 2:14 PM

Hillsboro isn't in Jackson's district

-- Posted by semo501 on Fri, Feb 22, 2013, at 2:34 PM

Hillsboro not in jaxons class, which will make it tough to meet again this year!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Feb 22, 2013, at 3:08 PM

@coachref,

When you have a 35 point lead at half time... Who cares if the other team scores some points? It was blatantly obvious that the indians werent exactly trying to pound them in the ground. There is no chance that Hillsboro could beat Jackson. Unless they all grew 6 inches and didnt miss a shot.

-- Posted by youarebad on Sat, Feb 23, 2013, at 11:53 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.