[semoball.com] Login | Register
Post reply Read replies (158) More threads Create thread

Sikeston vs. Charleston Round 1
Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:35 AM:

Thoughts? Predictions?

Replies

Standing room only crowd with three games featuring three of the biggest rivalries in Southeast Missouri....Poplar Bluff vs. Jackson, Cape vs. Notre Dame, and Charleston vs. Sikeston. The championship features two No. 1 teams in the state. Charleston will be heavy favorites, but hopefully Sikeston learned some lessons last night. People seem to forget that this is a pretty inexperienced Sikeston team with only three major contributors returning from last year. As for the other games, I'll take Jackson over Bluff and Cape over Notre Dame in a close one. Better get there early.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:47 AM

Charleston by 10, it'll be a close game through the third quarter, Charleston seems to play better defense than Sikeston and have the better team, however Sikeston have 2 of the 5 best players in the tournament should be interesting.

Key to victory is will Charleston shoot Sikeston out of the zone they played against Cape, or can the Man to Man defense of Charleston contain JT Jones and Ruffin.

-- Posted by PoliticalCorrect on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:02 AM

If we play ball like we did the 1st half it's ours if we do like last night and fall apart Charleston wins.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:12 AM

Prediction: Charleston 74-63

-- Posted by semo7178 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:30 AM

70-64 Bluejays

-- Posted by thunderstick on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:37 AM

Sikeston had 23 fouls, Charleston had 13. So that could play a big factor. Got to stay out of foul trouble, and keep the jays off the line. Even though neither team shot a great free throw percentage, 57% for Charleston, 53% for Sikeston. This game could come down to who makes their free throws.

I listened to the radio on half of the ND/Charleston game, and watched the second half and sikeston in person. I don't know who was doing the radio broadcast, never really listened to Bonacki before, so I don't know. Here were a few memorable radio moments. Radio guy talking about a ND player "I don't know how he threaded that needle, he must have a seamstress somewhere in his family" and he raved about ND's free throw shooting, at that point in the game they were 1/1 having shot ONE free throw. SMH.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:09 AM

i liked how during the first quarter when binacki was talking about how the christmas tournament seeds would turn out, he said "obviously Charleston gets the one, but where will ND end up after their battle with probably Cape Central tomorrow".....this was in the first quarter of the game and it was tied 12-12. he was riding off the ND bluedogs already

-- Posted by bigriver333 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:35 AM

hahaha I did notice that one! totally forgot about that! I laughed out loud on the seamstress one though.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:47 AM

semohoops, if I remember correctly the only MAJOR contributors back for Charleston is Hull and Parham. Parham did not score much last year but created alot of opportunities for the rest of the Jays squad. None of the other guys out there match up to the lineup they had last year minus Carter I think he is better than the big man they had underneath. It should be a good game I might make the trip up there or go watch Hayti and Portageville play. I say Jays take it late in the 4th quarter after JT fouls out.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:54 AM

As much as I hate to say it, I just don't think my Dogs can beat Charleston. I've only seen a couple of Sikestons games but I haven't seen a complete game by them, yet. If they play the whole game like they did the first quarter against Cape, it could be a close game but if they play anything less, it could be a 20 pt win for Charleston.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 12:49 PM

I look for Farmer to try a frustrate Jones if they can get him in foul trouble then a long night might be headed for the bulldogs.But stranger things have happened if CHS has poor shooting it could be a long night for CHS.Either way if CHS is up by small margin in the fourth CHS will stall and SHS will have no answer for that tactic.Good luck to all teams tonight and hopefully nobody gets kicked out the gym.lol

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 1:14 PM

Charleston had several returning players that were major contributors on last year's title team.....Ryan Parham (arguably the best player in the area...that's a pretty good start), Michael Hull, Darrion Carter, Trey Watkins, Sumner Foster are the main returners. All those guys saw major minutes during their state run. Then add the Bogan boys and the 6-5 Webster and they are primed for a repeat. They did graduate four good players but they don't appear to have missed a beat.

Last year Parham scored when he had to. In Sikeston's first meeting with them, Parham had 23 points and 3 3's. He averaged 10 points per game last year which is pretty solid.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 1:19 PM

Is there any doubt Charleston gets the Top seed in the xmas tournament regardless??

-- Posted by RedShirt on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 1:30 PM

Darrion Carter first year of playing sports was last year, just think if he would have played all four years! He's a major contributor to the Charleston Blue Jays and I am proud of him!!!! Let's Go Blue Jays!!!!!!

-- Posted by silentplayer on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 1:37 PM

No doubt, that is the only given. I don't see a legit No. 2 seed this year. Usually there is SOMEBODY. This could be a year where a Leopold or somebody like that could sneak into the semifinals.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 1:39 PM

Semohoops, I must disagree, the only ones who had major minutes were Parham, Hull and Carter.

-- Posted by silentplayer on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 1:43 PM

Parham scores when he wants and has done so since his sophomore year. If he doesn't feel like scoring he'll set his teammates up. If he wants to score he'll beat you off the dribble or drain 3's pretty much whenever he wants.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 1:46 PM

It's all semantics. It depends on how you define 'major minutes'.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 1:46 PM

Sikeston over Charleston 72-67

Ruffin-25pts.

JT Jones- 32pts. 13 rebounds

-- Posted by semo sports guy on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 1:52 PM

The games I saw, all those guys played a lot and were contributors. I watched every game through the state title game. Now did they play 30 minutes a night? No, but I'd say Foster and Watkins both played about 10 to 15 minutes per game. Foster was huge in the state semifinals last year. Watkins wasn't a big scorer, but a good defender and glue guy that had huge moments against Sikeston late in the game.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 1:54 PM

I guess so, because my definition seem to be different and we all have our own opinions.

-- Posted by silentplayer on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 1:57 PM

If the Dogs can maintain their intensity throughout the game, they have a good chance. They have to take good shots and keep the fouls to a minimum. Both teams will be pumped up and the crowd will be electric. Go Dogs!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 3:50 PM

Charleston will win this time. But these teams will meet a few more times and I'm sure Charleston can't beat them 3 times in a row. It's great they're different classes. Because they make each other better if you ask me.

-- Posted by basketballfan33 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 3:51 PM

They only meet 1 more time after this right? Their regular scheduled game and that's it unless there's something I don't know about. Sikeston will have to keep up the intensity and not just run down there and whomever has the ball shoot. That seemed to be a problem 2nd half last night unless they made it everytime which didn't happen.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 3:59 PM

You are correct on the scheduling TFA. Only one more matchup after this.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 4:01 PM

I'm correct on everything I say! Lol! Actually I think I do pretty good on assessing the games for a woman. Because we all know women are NEVER wrong. Lol

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 4:13 PM

Yes sorry I forget sikeston not in the demo Christmas tournament.

-- Posted by basketballfan33 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 4:13 PM

Believe Charleston will win this game. Despite the fact that Sikeston play a lot of guys, I think Charleston has more quality in their depth off the bench. Parham will make things tough on Ruffin, but I do think JT Jones will have a big game...but won't be enough. Wish I could be there. Will be at Portageville/Hayti game, which I think could be a good one as well.

-- Posted by bball79 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 4:30 PM

how can in pick this up on the online radio station/link?

-- Posted by weslc61 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 5:02 PM

It is I...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 7:27 PM

I am in Los Angeles but I really wish that I was in Sikeston, MO. tonight!

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 7:28 PM

What time does the game start, please? How can I listen or watch online, please?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 7:35 PM

Score?

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 8:02 PM

How can I listen to the game or watch it online, please? Anybody?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 8:09 PM

Try to find 92.9 the river from sikeston on line, they played sikeston a game last night. Not sure it has started yet or they would be posting scores

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 8:59 PM

http://socialstreamingplayer.crystalmedi...

-- Posted by lseed on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:04 PM

It is on 92.9 the river on line, I just checked

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:05 PM

this will be close for 3 quarters then i believe ctown will pull away imo

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:14 PM

sounds like sikeston came to play so far

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:19 PM

Sikeston 36 to Charleston 23 at halftime. Sikeston playing great defense.

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:31 PM

ctown better turn it up or the post of a undefeated season is gone,like ive said before on any givin night anybody can be beat just sayn good luck to both teams

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:33 PM

sounds like r porter has stepped it up 2night

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:39 PM

sikestons defense is killing ctown right now

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:41 PM

Keep the scores coming

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:43 PM

46-38 stown 7 1/2 left

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:56 PM

sikeston up 8 46 to 38

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:56 PM

sikeston up 50 to 38

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:58 PM

How much time left?

-- Posted by DukePhan on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:59 PM

ctown fans threw a bottle onto the court play has stopped lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 9:59 PM

4:20 left sikeston up 12

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:04 PM

57-45

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:04 PM

carter fouls out for ctown sikeston leads 57 to 45 with 4.19 left

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:05 PM

sikeston has outplayed charleston from the tip until now by far

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:06 PM

parham went down he is helped to the bench with cramps what it looks like

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:08 PM

imo hull is ctowns best player

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:09 PM

hull is ctowns best scorer Imo him and parham are equal

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:11 PM

sikeston up by 4 with 130 left

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:12 PM

1:10 left 64-60 stown

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:12 PM

54 seconds left stown up 4

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:15 PM

22 seconds left TO sikeston, sikeston up 6

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:17 PM

Ballgame

-- Posted by Sonic-The-Hedgehog on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:19 PM

It was almost like Sikeston WANTED to give the game away. How many 3's did they shoot from 5 foot behind the line in the last 12 minutes???

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:43 PM

Final score 71-61

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:45 PM

And people laughed at me when I said SIkeston would win by double digits. I said at least by 12, 10 is pretty close.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:47 PM

Who going beat the bulldogs nobody 71-61 baby

-- Posted by sikestonplayer225 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:49 PM

How did Parham and JT Jones do tonight.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:51 PM

What I want to know is why are ppl posting the score wrong? They leave early cause I got this score right off scoreboard

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:51 PM

What was the final?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:51 PM

You should ask about Ruffin and Parham cause Ruffin did great and out played Parham I think. JT did good but I don't know who scored what

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:53 PM

71-61

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:53 PM

Cord did really good I'm telling u everyone on the team came to play they ALL did great

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:55 PM

That was a heavyweight fight tonight if I've ever seen one and it didn't disappoint in the least. Kudos to Charleston on playing a great game. For Sikeston, JT Jones essentially put in his bid to be considered amongst the best players in the area. Vashawn was his usual self scoring something like 15 points and dishing out 12 assists. The kid may average a double-double this year. However, the unheralded MVP for tonight is Cord Sheehy. He didn't fill the stat sheet but Cord took on his defensive assignment with guarding Parham, Hull, Bogan, etc. and absolutely gave them fits all night. He's a great kid who deserves major props for playing excellent defense against a great group of guards. The keys to me tonight were the great defense Sikeston had on Hull most of the night refusing to give him even half-decent looks which he could knock down with ease. Also, they kept the intensity I've talked about all week going for all four quarters. Obviously, there are things to work on but tonight was a great night. Congratulations Sikeston.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 10:58 PM

I agree Sideline

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:01 PM

JT and Vashawn played their normal exceptional self. Cord played the game of his life. He is the most underrated player on the team. Hats off to the Jays. The Dogs got up by 15+ and they didn't quit. They are going to be a handful for Class 3! My Dogs aren't no joke either!! Great game by two great teams!! They both made SEMO hoops proud!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:06 PM

We as in sikeston did really good tonight it was a hard fought game could it be a 30-0 again haha

-- Posted by sikestonplayer225 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:10 PM

You could have just left it at Congratulations. Would have looked better.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:10 PM

Great Game Bulldogs... Looks like those rings didn't help much tonight! I'm just sayin!

Two great teams played and gave 100% Dogs just made more big plays with less reckless turnovers late.

Get'em Dogs

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:10 PM

Doesn't matter about individuals...Sikeston's TEAM outplayed Charleston's TEAM. You win as a team and you lose as a team....it's that simple.

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:12 PM

Yeah...if it was me, I'd leave rings out of any argument against Charleston. I'm just sayin' too.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:13 PM

Well said, birdfan. January 4th should be a fun one.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:14 PM

Exactly Birdfan. It's no ones fault on Charleston. They played great too. Sikeston just had it tonight. I wanted to give a couple of players some praise. Gotta get ready for the next game now.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:14 PM

Congrats on your win tonight Sikeston. I watched a dang good ballgame at Hayti tonight or I would have made that trip.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:17 PM

Would counter attack since I feel I was attacked but I don't stoop because its my opinion not everyone has to agree with me lol

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:17 PM

Oh and by the way I'm a fan of Parhams since last year so no way would I disrespect him. He's a very smart player

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:20 PM

Sikeston won the game tonight with defense. Charleston had a bad 2nd qtr and that was the difference in the ballgame. Another great performance tonight by JT Jones. Charleston is going to have to find an answer to him if they want to even the score later this season.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:21 PM

I'm the one who praised both teams and gave an honest assessment. You were the rude and silly one. But go ahead and avoid accountability for what you said.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:22 PM

JT is the type of player you can't just stop, you can hope to contain him but with his athletic ability and basketball skills, he will get his. I wish I could have seen this game tonight. Anyone know if there is a webcast of it?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:24 PM

I think that Charleston posters for the most part take alot away from anyone that is not Charleston and hate the taste of crow. They do not have to eat it that much but when they do its tough and dry.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:28 PM

Good game BULLDOGS. You got the first game we will see about the one in Jan. Wish my charleston fan had not done that bottle thing,bad for the sport. The young men went to battle and one team played better ball and it was SIKESTON.(MAN THAT HURTS)LOL. But,my nephew(JT) played a hell of a game and so did D.Bogan for charleston. Hope the kids had fun. See SHS @ CHS in a few weeks.

-- Posted by pe-co85 on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:31 PM

Crow is best served chilled..........Neither team needs to over do the praise or the blues......

Both these teams.....have bright years to look forward to.

I wanna see them BOTH in that final game in Columbia. Man..winning class 3 & 4 ...2 teams....

12 miles apart.......COME ON MAAAAAAAAAN

It'd be GREAT

-- Posted by Headhunt on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:32 PM

I want to know where Terry Hicks for Pres.....is???? Talking about how SEMO bball is down and out and whatever other negative stuff. Awesome atmosphere, awesome play by both teams and win or lose BOTH teams will hopefully represent SEMO basketball in the playoffs. Team is exactly what it takes to win in a super showdown of two really good teams.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:36 PM

Congrats to Sikeston. They were the better team tonight and deserved the win and honestly seemed to want it more from the get go. And to sidelines point, sheehe (sp) played an outstanding game and I don't think they hold on to win without him.

-- Posted by gerardo on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:40 PM

Can't refute what I say and can't talk about giving the guys respect so you try to name call and attack the poster? Sounds about par for the course for some Semoballers. I do appreciate the mayor acknowledgement though. Again, you could have just said congrats instead of criticized and you could have just been humble in defeat like I was in victory (and like I was before the game). Then, I wouldn't have to interject.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:41 PM

Congrats to Sikeston. They were the better team tonight and deserved the win and honestly seemed to want it more from the get go. And to sidelines point, sheehe (sp) played an outstanding game and I don't think they hold on to win without him.

-- Posted by gerardo on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:43 PM

This is a little off subject here but I played at the fieldhouse 33 years ago. Anyone remember the floors before the hardwood? Looked like rubber or something you didn't slide on it. I used to laugh as other teams would come and just touch our floor. Ok sorry was back in the day.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:44 PM

I would never say never about any team in the Bootheel nothing is a lead pipe cinch down here. Caruthersville is playing some good team ball right now with all of their starting 5 hitting double figures most of the games this year. I never guarantee a victory on the hardwood because of many different factors that could come into play. If Hull ever has an off night shooting the ball (I know that is a big if) they can be played with by any of the good teams in the Bootheel.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Dec 7, 2012, at 11:53 PM

I respect that post Papi. It was a great game. Both teams have things to work on and hopefully it lit a fire under both that will keep them going to March. I know the Jays didn't win but I hope you all enjoyed the atmosphere and all. Charleston is definitely a handful for everyone.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 12:13 AM

Great game bulldogs! Left it all on the court tonight.

-- Posted by Winner11 on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 1:00 AM

I wasn't there so I don't have a good estimate, but if this game wasn't played in the field house would the outcome have been different?

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 1:48 AM

Nope.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 1:50 AM

I don't think it would have mattered where the game was played at. Sikeston out-played, out-rebounded, and just made the plays. That wouldn't have changed no matter where the game was played. But I do agree that Sikeston is a different level on their home floor as is Charleston on their home floor. Sikeston will visit Charleston in January.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 2:14 AM

I have to agree with u sideline. Cord Sheehy was the MVP of the game tonight. The kid did all the intangibles ie; hustling for rebounds and diving head first for loose balls. Overall , a great win for the Sikeston Bulldogs and hats off to the Bluejays. Can't wait for round 2!

-- Posted by Highriser on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 2:50 AM

Congratulations to Sikeston. Good job. However, we shall meet again in our 'hood next time: BEWARE! Also, you do not have to be undefeated to win a state championship as we have proven before. It would be nice if we could win state champiohships in multiple classes this year pertaining to southeastern MO.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 12:13 PM

I have to say that it was a great game. I do not like Charleston sports when they are playing against Sikeston, but I support them every other time. This is SEMO ball, so we should all support the other teams from the area (unless it's Cape Central or Notre Dame.) J/K, but not really. I want to see Charleston win another state title, let's keep as much of the hardware in SEMO as we can. So many years we have relied on Charleston, or SCC to win championships and bring some cred to SEMO. But if we could send one of our teams from each class to the finals that is success. And a side note to the fans. Don't do anything that is going to hurt the chances of your athletes on the court/field/etc. Throwing a mountain dew bottle on the floor is absolutely classless and leads people to think that your whole school, town, etc. has no class. I know it to be different, but those that don't won't think any different.

-- Posted by Monty95 on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 12:29 PM

I thought that the Sikeston/Charleston game did not disappoint, as expected. What a great rivalry. Not many areas get to see this type of atmosphere at the high school level. The bulldogs played with heart and Coach Holifield had them prepared,as usual, he has done an outstanding job with this program. The fans and student body from both teams were great as well! Fun night at the Fieldhouse.

-- Posted by Winner11 on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 12:30 PM

Congrats to the Bulldogs. The second quarter really hurt our chances of the win last night. Kudos to our Jays for not ever quitting. We get another shot at them in January. Jays let the fire burn in your belly. Feast on ND and the Christmas tourney field--- then make things right on Jan 4.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 12:37 PM

I'm glad to see a lot of people giving Cord some love. I was hoping people noticed how hard this kid worked not only last night, but in previous games as well. This kid worked his tail off last night, and had a lot to do with the out come of this game! You need your big point and rebound guys, but it's the kids like him that give a team what it needs to get over the hump, and make deep playoff runs! Great Job by the whole team! GO DOGS!!!!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 12:38 PM

@CapeAlum, I would have to say yes. Even though Sikeston played hard and Charleston didn't play as well as usual, the refs were definitely on sikeston side. It was an 8 on 5 game. How many players can swing on another player and continue to argue once the ref ask him to be quiet? If it would have been a Charleston player he would have been ejected and a tech called. D. Carter was holding his man down but they started calling fouls on him. His last fouls didnt belong to him. There were other bogus fouls called on Charleston but charleston in the bonus, no way the refs made sure that didnt happen. Much like the Notre Dame game last year in Sikeston but once ND got them on their court it was over. I know the outcome will be different in Januay and I look forward to it. Go Blue Jays!!!!!

-- Posted by silentplayer on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 12:45 PM

What a joke. JT was hacked all night especially in the first half with nothing getting called. Just getting cut down by Jays all the time. The refs had nothing to do with this win tonight. Notre Dame beat Sikeston at their place last year because Sikeston went 4-27 from three which they were living and dying by at that point as well as allowing way too many transition points which ND were thriving on. They then came out and shot much better and were much more focused for the second matchup with ND and almost turbo-clocked them. Silentplayer is giving some pretty loud excuses to me. I hope (and do believe) the other players are thinking about what they can do better and taking accountability for their loss instead of blaming the refs.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 12:53 PM

You have got to be kidding silent player...

-- Posted by Winner11 on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 12:55 PM

Good game Sikeston!! It was another epic battle period. Our rivalry (Charleston vs Sikeston)is one of the best in the USA.

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 1:21 PM

I expect you to say that sideline so now you need to take your blinders off and admit the truth the refs favored Sikeston as always. If a team doesnt have a lead on them, the refs come into play! But we will know the truth when we play in january! Lets Blue Jays!!!!!!

-- Posted by silentplayer on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 1:25 PM

The refs had nothing to do with the game. You're just upset that after all the talk you've done over the last year that you got beat by your rival and can't give them credit for having a very good team. Sikeston may lose in January. It wouldn't shock me at all. I know that game will be just as tight as this one was but the venue (and refs) had nothing to do with the win last night. In fact, Sikeston has won three consecutive games at the Jay's Nest in Charleston so I'm not sure the venue in the next game will have anything to do with the outcome either. If you want to continue to just make excuses instead of having some accountability as a supposed player, please do though. While you are busy here, the Bulldogs will be practicing and continuing to get better and improving the areas that Charleston exploited tonight to be sure they don't get beat the next time the two teams play either.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 1:32 PM

Congrats to the sikeston bulldogs , big win over an awesome charleston team. I listened to the game streamed on 92.9 ,good game. Championship programs head to head, doesnt get much better than that.

-- Posted by squawdad on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 2:15 PM

I was just thinking earlier that no one blamed the refs well I guess I thought wrong. It took longer than I thought to showup on here.

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 2:45 PM

Will someone get this guy some cheese to go with that wine?

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 3:09 PM

Coach farmer was incredibly classy in his remarks in the newspaper report. He makes no excuses, says he expects his boys to execute better in jan, and has nothing but praise for dawgz effort. A classy coach and an excellent jays team, how cool it would be to bring home some hardware in march to stown and ctown!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 3:33 PM

I don't think the refs had anything to do with game last night either. It was the bad second quarter the Jays played that got them beat. As I said earlier, they need to find a way to hold Jones to under 20 points. Also, Parham is going to have to step it up as a scorer, and they need to press more. They gave Sikeston fits with their full-court press in the 4th quarter and got back in the game. I was really surprised Coach Farmer didn't press Sikeston more.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 3:41 PM

Glad you got to see the game last night Preach. Sorry I didn't get to meet you. After about the start of the third place game, I didn't leave my seat until after the championship game was well over.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 3:55 PM

We got there just after the start of the consolation game, Sideline. And I'm glad we did because the Field House was packed by the start of the 3rd place game. Mrs. Preacher Man Fan and I sat at the end behind the goal which is a great seat. I too am sorry we didn't get a chance to meet. Maybe next time.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 4:12 PM

All I'm stating is that homecourt doesn't make a difference in the recent years of this rivalry what with Charleston winning two of the last three in Sikeston and Sikeston taking the last three in Charleston. I just don't like the ref blaming and the homecourt blaming. We're all guilty of it sometimes, myself included, but last night didn't seem like a night where it was really something of note. Sikeston just put in the work to outplay Charleston.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 5:29 PM

Big Papi you are mistaken. Charleston was in the bonus in the second half.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 7:32 PM

So much for the zone press and zone not affecting charleston. 21 turnovers.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 9:14 PM

I recall a few of their turnovers being on the press.

I'm sure there is a reason Farmer didn't press the whole game but I'm not sure what the reason is. It was successful in the fourth quarter because, like Charleston, Sikeston was pretty fatigued by that point. Both teams will be in better shape as the season progresses.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 12:18 AM

Part of the reason is that Charleston couldn't have sustained pressing the whole game. Also, refereeing excuse...lol MSHSAA was their at the game rating the officials. They have no idea of the extent of the rivalry...I spoke with one of them after the game, they raved about the game and the atmosphere. Refereeing, in their opinion was how it should be, not a factor. Im sure if Sikeston would have lost, same stuff would be said by a few. Nature of the beast....good luck to both teams in Jan....

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 1:11 AM

I agree with you big that Shandor not scoring his normal amount helped with Sikeston's win. Most of the scoring seems to come from Hull, Carter, Webster, Parham, and Foster in that order or something like it. Chalk that partially up to the Sikeston defense. Parham's ballhandling was not up to what I expect to see from him in the second half and I'd say that was again due to having to play the full game at a frenetic, intense pace. Note the cramps he had in the fourth. That isn't normal for him. It was tough for Carter, Shandor, etc. to score inside because it was both tough for the guards to get them the ball in good spots and JT and Reese played good defense most of the game. As you can tell from my post, I really did enjoy the way our defense played. If Charleston had done the full court press the whole game, perhaps it could have tired them out more in Farmer's mind or Sikeston would have figured it out sooner or maybe it could have led to some more easy layups once it broke. Either way, Farmer is smart. He had a reason not to employ it earlier. Gotta respect the gameplan.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 1:44 AM

From an obvious Sikeston fan, I saw the game like this....the Dogs played their first complete game of the year. They were able to sustain the intensity for four quarters. Most opponents think that because the Dogs play a 2-3 zone, they will have open looks from the perimeter. But...the way Coach Holifield teaches the zone, the open looks are far and few between. Fatigue played a huge factor tonight...for both sides. Both teams will get more as the season rolls on. The officials missed calls...as they do every game...but they were a non-factor. If both teams can maintain this level of play, both should make a deep run in March.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 8:22 AM

My 2 favorite games this year so far was Sikeston vs Charleston and Charleston vs NLR. Both games kept me interested loved the intensity of the games. Hope I see more like these.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 8:43 AM

One of the greatest misconceptions is that of a well-officiated game is one in which both teams have close to the same number of fouls. That assumes both teams foul about the same number of times, and that is not always the case.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 8:53 AM

Actually...rocketsbro's last post was by me. He was at my house this weekend and he didn't log out of my iPad. Just wanted to clarify.....LOL

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 8:54 AM

I have been the victim of identity theft.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 9:02 AM

I take my hat off to the Dawgs and coach Holifield they had a great gameplan..Refs called the game how they should..Markeith,JT,and Vashawn are legit no doubt..I like the way my bluejays fought back, but the turnovers combined with a bad 2nd qtr and missed free throws played a major factor..The next game should be alot better..Can't wait!..See you all next month @ the nest..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 10:52 AM

Rings....as a Sikeston fan....I was never comfortable until it was over. When Bogan hit the 3 and cut it to 4, I was REALLY nervous! Great game by TWO GREAT TEAMS!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 4:59 PM

face it rocket...u were nervous before the tip!!!! lol

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:10 PM

Rocket I lost my voice when bogan hit the 3 to cut it to 4..My Jays were close just fell a little short..It was a great game..The next game will be epic!..This is the greatest rivalry ever..I love it..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 5:37 PM

Barkley....you are correct...I was nervous before the tip! No doubt!

Rings...it is a great rivalry! I love it too! And that leads me to my next point...

A lot of people on this site think that teams from SEMO need to go to St. Louis to get a "good" game. Well....Friday night disproved that theory. Sikeston and Charleston each played a team as GOOD AS IT GETS and Charleston only had to travel 10 miles to do it! Same for Sikeston in January... The night in and night out competition in this area is very good. We (SEMO teams) don't need to travel north to get a "game." We have it right here in our own backyard.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 9:03 AM

Ok, this is the best I can figure. Farmer has a 13-7 lead on Holifield. His Charleston teams controlled Sikeston early, going 10-1 from '99 to '06. However, Sikeston has won six of the last eight, losing both last year.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 9:14 AM

Holifield started coahing at Sikeston in 99.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 9:57 AM

Big Papi you never know. If the situation is right.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 11:20 AM

Guess you'd have to change your name, in that case. Would you then be CHS2MRH2CHS?

-- Posted by yah-yah on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 11:24 AM

All I can say is that silentplayer is a moron for blaming that loss on the officials!! Never has a more asinine statement been made. Don't give any credit to the sikeston defense. Sometimes you just get outplayed.

-- Posted by Brownbomber on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 9:04 PM

Yea I was told that today that the officials were on our side and how much did we pay them. Seriously? It was a good hard fought game by both sides I hate when people try to spoil things. If we would of lost I wouldn't of said that. But oh well if we win in Charleston I wonder what the reason will be.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 9:17 PM

I agree I just wished everyone saw it that the teams are equal and it could of went either way but this person was convinced and everyone in the factory heard what she had to say which was annoying.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Dec 11, 2012, at 6:11 AM

Yah-Yah, that would be my new name.lol. Big Papi, I hold to the principals that I was taught by Coach Mac and the late Coach Spoon. Just mixed the two styles together and you get MRH. We still have a long way to go. Football guys are starting to get their legs and wind up. But like I said about home a while back, who wouldn't want the opportunity to return to their alma mater. Never say never.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Tue, Dec 11, 2012, at 9:23 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.