[semoball.com] Login | Register
Post reply Read replies (304) More threads Create thread

bloomfield christmas tournament
Posted by exoball on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 10:46 AM:

Who's going to win it.should be some good games.

Replies

Bernie, Kennett, Doniphan (are they still in it?), Portageville, Hayti could all have a shot.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 10:57 AM

Don't rule out Holcomb or South Pemiscot. Kennett will prolly get the #1 seed, but there is alot of parity in the tourney this year and anyone of those teams could win it. Alot will depend on the seeding.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 11:08 AM

I'd say Kennett has to be the favorite right now. Portageville is an unknown right now because they've only played Cooter. Bernie has a chance but not sure they have the team to beat Kennett. Hayti is always a wildcard, you never know what team will show up. Other than thier tall guy, I don't think Doniphan will get past the quarters.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 11:09 AM

I forgot about Holcomb Preach. They are in the mix as well. This should be a very exciting tourney this year.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 11:10 AM

Another team I am anxious to get a look at is Van Buren. They are off to a 4-0 start this season, even though it has come against weak competition. We'll see how good they are come tourney time.

Hey Cheesehead, how do you like Dudley?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 11:37 AM

South Pem has the potential to cause some fits for some teams in the tournament. They beat Caruthersville in 3 OT's last week, but had a tough loss to Hayti last night after leading for 3 1/2 quarters. They have East Prairie Friday and Dyersburg Saturday.

-- Posted by Shank on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 12:05 PM

1. Kennett

2. Bernie

3. Portageville

4. Holcomb

5. Doniphan

6. Hayti

7. S. Pem

8. Twin Rivers

9. Malden

10. Saxony

11. V Buren

12. Bloomfield

13. Puxico

14. Dexter

15. E Prarie

16. Richland

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 1:15 PM

That's just a best guess!

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 1:18 PM

Good list, but no way Dexter gets the 14 at the Bloomfield Tournament. Yes they probably deserve it, but they catch every break up there, in both seeding and officiating. Unfortunately they will get somewhere between 8-11.

-- Posted by No sir on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 1:47 PM

Probably right No sir, we will see.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 1:50 PM

BBfanatic you may be close on the seeds hayti south pem twin rivers malden they all are liget.

-- Posted by exoball on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 1:51 PM

heard dexter was down this year have not seen them play just hear say..

-- Posted by exoball on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 1:53 PM

exoball:

There are 8-10 good teams in the Christmas tournament this year. Kennett should probably win it but I predict several upsets in this tournament.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 1:57 PM

If Chase Young plays Dexter could move up that list 2 or 3 spots.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 2:02 PM

South Pem should be seated above Hayti since they beat them head-to-head already. I don't think Dexter will be seeded as low as #13, prolly #8-9 if I had to guess. Also Saxony Lutheran won't get a seed as high as #10 IMO. Well the seeding meeting is Dec. 15 I understand, so we'll know then. But it's fun to guess in the meantime!

My predictions:

1. Kennett

2. Bernie

3. Portageville

4. Holcomb

5. Doniphan

6. South Pemiscot

7. Hayti

8. Dexter

9. Twin Rivers

10. Van Buren

11. Malden

12. Saxony Lutheran

13. Bloomfield

14. Puxico

15. Richland

16. East Prairie

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 2:14 PM

Preacher, Hayti beat South Pem last night.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 2:15 PM

Ya i look for some upsets in this tournament. and yes chase young would help dexter out alot .Doniphan has alot of size for teams to deal with just have to see.

-- Posted by exoball on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 2:17 PM

Dexter deserves a double digit seed but they do catch a lot of breaks in the seeding and officiating and is coming from somebody who lives in Dexter.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 2:37 PM

smo723, that's right, but didn't South Pem beat Hayti in the Campbell Invitational? I may be remembering that wrong. I know they beat Caruthersville in 3OT.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 2:38 PM

Neither of those teams were in the Campbell invitational. I know Hayti was in the Steele tournament but don't think they played Hayti.

-- Posted by No sir on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 2:41 PM

They were at the tourney in Steele. South Pem beat Caruthersville and Gosnell beat Hayti in the semis. Gosnell beat South Pem for the title and Caruthersville beat Hayti for third. Hayti will get a higher spot than South Pem due to head-to-head win.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 2:47 PM

Sideline beat me to it, but that's what happened. Hayti and Pville both play Holcomb next week, so that will have an impact on the seedings too.

Pville@ Holcomb 12/11/12

Holcomb@ Hayti 12/13/12

Seedings won't be completed until 12/15/12 is what I am hearing.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 3:11 PM

Bernie hasn't faced anything like Hayti or south pem has yet. Cville and gosnell would beat Holcomb an Bernie so I would actually seed it like this

1 Kennett

2 pville

3 Hayti

4 south pem

5 Bernie

6 Holcomb

7 doniphan

8 Malden

9 twin rivers

10 van buren

11 dexter... After that it don't matter

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 4:08 PM

Yes, the seed meeting is Dec 15, about a week later that is has been the last few years.

-- Posted by bball79 on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 4:12 PM

I stand corrected. South Pem and Hayti played in the Bulldog Classic, but not against each other. Hayti will likely get the higher seed therefore, unless either team has a monumental collapse between now and the seeding meeting on the 15th.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 4:17 PM

South Pem will get to see a better Cville team than their first meeting. They play next week I think. I think this tourny is Kennett's to lose. Other than Pville, I don't see any team who matches up well with them, maybe Hayti on a good night.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 4:25 PM

South Pem plays Dyersburg,Caruthersville,Malden before the seed meeting. Their position could change drastically.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 4:28 PM

Dexter may not be able to beat Richland next week.

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 6:15 PM

Another note is that Holcomb plays both Hayti and Portageville next week, so those three will align themselves accordingly at the end of the week.

-- Posted by No sir on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 6:40 PM

Dexter should be able to beat Richland. Their big guy is out for a while.

-- Posted by h20_boy on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 7:23 PM

I agree Dexter should beat richland. But I haven't seen Dexter this down in a while.

-- Posted by basketballfan33 on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 8:50 PM

I recall a few years ago Dexter was in the top 4 after going 0-4 prior to seeding. I could see them getting a 5th/6th seed after playing the top teams in C3, and C4 to start the season. I'm sure some of these teams could play Charleston and Sikeston closer but I don't see any of these tournament teams defeating "C-town" or Sikeston. IF they lose to Richland next week then I don't see em higher than 8th.

-- Posted by semolian on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 9:26 PM

Given the quality of the top teams in the tourney this year, I still don't see Dexter getting above the #8 seed.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 9:38 PM

It is a really strong field in the tourney this year and Dexter is as down as I've seen in the last couple of years. They don't look to be a factor in Bloomfield this year.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 9:41 PM

Whether richland has the big kid or not dexter should win that game. They are a class 4 school playing a decent class one school. Its understandable to take a loss to scc or maybe even oran but not richland. I see dexter at 9 or 10 seed.

-- Posted by basketballfan33 on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 9:57 PM

I do not see Doniphan seeded that high, considering they have already lost to Emminence and East Carter County.

-- Posted by kdjones on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 6:22 AM

Why is Doniphan struggling? Patterson alone is a load. No guards?

-- Posted by No sir on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 7:50 AM

dont think east carter beat the dons not sure but think doniphan won.

-- Posted by exoball on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 10:05 AM

This tournament for years has made for some very exciting basketball.But I cant remember in recent years, any of them being this wide open. There is as many as 6 teams that could get on a roll and win this. Kennett is odds on favorite, but theres several teams that could win it, if Kennett has a bad night .

-- Posted by Hightops on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 10:25 AM

I agree...I have never seen Dexter this down, ever.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 10:47 AM

Dons beat East Carter 89-70 on Tuesday night.

-- Posted by DARsports on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 10:56 AM

I may have missed it but what are tourney dates?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 11:28 AM

One thing that has hurt Dexter this year is injuries. Two starters, Cody Neldon and Johnathan Page, are out for the season with knee injuries. Another starter, Chase Young, is out with a broken leg, but may be back next week. His brother Chandler, while a freshman, is also out with a concussion with no timetable for his return. He will see alot of varsity minutes, and may even start, when he comes back.

That said, Dexter would still likely be 0-4 at this point, but at least they sure would've been more competitive.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 2:34 PM

The tournament is always December 26-29.

-- Posted by paulbd on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 3:23 PM

ok thanks!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Dec 6, 2012, at 3:38 PM

going to be a good one .cant wait to see the seeds.

-- Posted by exoball on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 7:15 PM

Twin Rivers beat Pville by 16 today @trc.

-- Posted by Lloydchristmas on Sat, Dec 8, 2012, at 9:59 PM

South Pem beats Dyersburg 51-38 in Dyersburg shoot-out tonight.

-- Posted by Shank on Sun, Dec 9, 2012, at 12:58 AM

doniphan has only lost to eminence who is a very good team and they only lost because patterson fouled out in overtime.

-- Posted by Nelly62 on Mon, Dec 10, 2012, at 7:53 PM

Don has only lost to eminence...but who have they beat? They haven't played anyone except Eminence...they have no quality wins.

-- Posted by Lloydchristmas on Tue, Dec 11, 2012, at 12:52 PM

I feel pretty sure Kennett will be #1 and Bernie will be #2, but after that anything could happen as far as the #3-10 seeds could go. I look for South Pemiscot to be the #3 seed, but it will be interesting to see how the coaches seed this tourney. There is such parity this year so it will be a very exciting tourney even in the first round.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Dec 11, 2012, at 10:53 PM

South Pem beats Caruthersville 74-59, now 6-2. Play Malden Friday night.

-- Posted by Shank on Tue, Dec 11, 2012, at 11:04 PM

But since Hayti beat South Pemiscot, they could get the #3 seed and the Bulldogs #4. Like I said, anything could happen for seeds #3-10.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Dec 11, 2012, at 11:15 PM

Jog my memory Shank, besides Gosnell, who else did South Pem lose to?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Dec 11, 2012, at 11:29 PM

I need to go to bed, I just posted the answer to my question in my previous post! Hah! It was Hayti of course.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Dec 11, 2012, at 11:34 PM

Since Portageville beat Holcomb last night here is how I see the seeding falling out at the moment.

1. Kennett

2. Bernie

3. Hayti

4. South Pem

5. Portageville

6. Holcomb

Portageville plays Kennett on Friday, and if they win that game I could see them jump to 3 or 4.

Holcomb plays Hayti Friday, and if the Hornets win it could cause a lot of chaos 3-6.

-- Posted by paulbd on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 5:46 AM

Haha, yes, Hayti.

-- Posted by Shank on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 6:14 AM

South Pem did lead for 3 1/2 quarters +...but the final score is what counts, and Hayti did a great job battling back and getting the W. Gotta tip your hat.

-- Posted by Shank on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 6:18 AM

What happened in the Doniphan game last night? We're they missing some people or just an off night, or did Bloomfield come out hot?

-- Posted by semolian on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 7:50 AM

I heard Patterson tried to please the scouts and dunk all night and just couldn't do it clanking 14 of them, if he lays those in they win

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 8:29 AM

Bloomfield was hot from the outside, and played very good on the defensive end. Bloomfield won the JV game also.

-- Posted by Hightops on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 8:33 AM

Sportsnerd, sarcasm duely noted... But Bloomfield out played them. Not saying their better, just was last night.

-- Posted by Hightops on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 8:36 AM

In reguards to who will win it this year, thats as wide open as ive ever seen it. Last week I thought Kennett or Portageville, was the favorites. but from seeing some of the score i think you have to put South Pem, hayti, Bernie, Twin Rivers and Holcomb. OK I named 7 teams, thats how exciting it should be .

-- Posted by Hightops on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 8:56 AM

better put doniphan and twin rivers in the mix they are in it to win it. seeding should be interesting.

-- Posted by exoball on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 9:23 AM

1. Kennett (3 time champ)

2. Bernie (hasnt lost)

3. Hayti (just because they beat sp

4. South Pem (2 wins over C'ville)

5. Twin Rivers (beat P'ville convincingly)

6. P'ville (could move up if beat kennett fri)

7. Holcomb (play Hayti Thurs)

8,9 Don/Malden

10. Dexter

11. Bloomfield (beat Don by 16 could b a tough 1st round draw)

12. Van Buren

13. Saxony

14 Puxico

15. EP

16. Richland

-- Posted by Lloydchristmas on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 9:52 AM

Bernie could get the 1 seed easy they have not been beat solid team every game.they know how to win.

-- Posted by Royal Flush on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 10:13 AM

If Pville upsets Kennett friday then that would be the only way I see Bernie getting the 1 seed.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 10:18 AM

There will be some teams happy and some sadd when the seeding take place .i will seed mine later today.

-- Posted by dickie v on Wed, Dec 12, 2012, at 11:45 AM

Seedings soon!

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sat, Dec 15, 2012, at 11:09 AM

This tournament going to be crazy .Alot of teams pretty equil should make for some good games early.

-- Posted by dickie v on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 10:20 AM

Kennett should win this tournamnet, they are about 15 points better than the closest team which I think is Hayti. I don't know what's going on at South Pem, they started out hot, but lost to Malden last week. P'Ville I think is the sleeper team in the Tourney.

-- Posted by PoliticalCorrect on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 1:53 PM

Didn't Kennett only beat Pville 74-69 last week? I think my math is rusty but isn't that less than 15? Or when Kennett beat Cville in OT, while SP has beat Cville twice (once in OT). Hayti only beat Pville at the buzzer by 2. Hayti came from behind to beat Holcomb in 4th after trailing first 3 quarters. Twin Rivers beats Pville by 17 then Pville beats Holcomb. Bernie beats Holcomb in OT then Twin Rivers yesterday by 2. I think there is a lot of parity this year with several teams that could upset any team. I do think Kennett is the favorite, but in the 3 games I have watched them play, they are not a great shooting team and play sloppy at times, which is a recipe for an upset.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 2:00 PM

I'm with you Sm0723, while Kennett should be the favorite to win it, others can definitely upset them. If Portageville can put together a full 4 quarters, they would be very tough to beat. Hayti is playing just about as well as anyone in the tourney. South Pem is inconsistent, BUT have the talent and coaching to beat anyone. Bernie and Holcomb always field very good teams and capable of winning. I personally can't wait. I'm skipping the first day but I will be there for the rest of the championship bracket.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 2:08 PM

I agree smo723 & Cheesehead!

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 2:36 PM

Man the top half of the bracket is much weaker than the bottom. I guess the seeding just worked out that way but Kennett should have a cake walk into the finals unless South Pem can pull it together whereas there are several quality teams in the bottom half. Bernie, Holcomb, Pville, Hayti. Any of those teams could win it.

-- Posted by X-Man on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 3:31 PM

Definately going to be a great tournament this year with a variety of teams that can win it. The way it looks so far it all depends on what team shows up which particular night. Hayti plays great as does S. pem, Holcomb, Kennett,and even Twin Rivers. I'm not sold on P'ville yet with them losing to Twin Rivers by 16 then blowing a 23 point lead to Manila but at the same time only lost to kennett by what 5 or 6 but at the same time I'm not going to count them out because they are Portageville. I've seen Bernie play several games and each game you never know what they are capable of. They can shoot (great at times) play pressure defense but still have work to do down low.

-- Posted by yaeger on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 5:31 PM

X-Man kennett will have to play there best to get to the championship game. longways from cake walk.south pem. or twin rivers will give them all they want and more.

-- Posted by dickie v on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 5:46 PM

I've not talked to too many Kennett fans who think winning the tournament will be easy, or wouldn't be surprised if one of 4 or 5 other teams won it.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 8:33 PM

This is going to be one of the better tournaments just my opinion but if doniphan can get some guard play they can make some noise.

-- Posted by porchswing on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 9:08 PM

Sure their record doesn't show it but don't count out saxony just yet. They have beaten Bloomfield the last two years in a row when we were the 12 seed. We may not have the best record or talent but hardwork beats talent everyday

-- Posted by crusader on Wed, Dec 19, 2012, at 11:37 PM

Kennett will have to be on their game and wrk hard to win. Several good teams this year that could beat them if they are having an off game.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 2:50 PM

I still think Kennett will be the fresh team come championship time. I see it being like the year they won districts when NMCC and Charleston basically gave it all they had in the semi round while Kennett walked in over some weaker teams. But that is the perk of being #1 seed. Those bottom of the bracket teams are going to have to give it all they got every game. I think Kennett can play average and beat most of the teams on their side of the bracket. South Pem is the only team that I could see throwing an upset on them if the starts align.

-- Posted by X-Man on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 3:31 PM

Never count Bernie out of it.

-- Posted by yaeger on Thu, Dec 20, 2012, at 4:29 PM

That's what I'm saying. Bottom side of bracket you have 4 teams who really have a good chance of winning it all. Bernie, Hayti, Pville, Holcomb. Top of the bracket really just Kennett. I just don't think SP is consistant engough to beat Kennett. For Kennett to lose up top they would have to play sloppy and the other teams would have to have everything going thier way. Not saying it couldn't happen an probably will since I am running my mouth on here about it.

-- Posted by X-Man on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 7:10 AM

Here's how I see it going.

I'm going with all the top seeds to advance past the first round, so I'm starting with the second round.

2nd Round

1.Kennett beats 8.Malden

4.South Pem beats 5.Twin Rivers

3.Hayti beats 6.Holcomb

7.Portageville upsets 2.Bernie

Semi's

1.Kennett beats 4.South Pem

3.Hayti beats 7.Portageville

Finals

1.Kennett over 3.Hayti

That's how I see it going. The 2nd round has some pretty good games and a couple of those could go either way. I don't see very many upsets this year though, although it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 7:56 AM

Cheese:

Come on Man! Go Bernie Mules.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 9:01 AM

BBfanatic, to my defense, that was the toughest game to pick. It was literally a toss up. I've seen Pville play lights out one half but come out flat the 2nd half. I'm only assuming they play for four quarters against Bernie, that's why I picked them. If they only show up for one half, it could be a long night for them. Should be an exciting game.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 9:51 AM

Cheese portageville will loose in the first round Dons by 8pts.there just to big for the bulldogs.

-- Posted by dickie v on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 9:51 AM

If Doniphan can get through Pville's press with hitting Patterson in the middle and having back cutters then they could cause Pville problems, BUT if pville can swarm the guards and cover the middle then I believe they beat Doniphan by 15. Doniphan lacks consistent guard play and I assume that will be there undoing against Pville.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 10:05 AM

Are we talking about the same Doniphan team that got beat by a very mediocre Bloomfield team? I don't see Portageville slipping up in that game.

-- Posted by Skeet on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 10:07 AM

Doniphan was also considerably bigger than NMCC. But NMCC's guard play was better and they were able to beat them by somewhere around 21 points.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 10:09 AM

I think we have very unrealistic homers posting on here. Please, don't let my comments stop you from making he laugh while I should be working.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 10:24 AM

They key to Portageville is them showing up in the second half. All season they have dominated teams in the first half, but when the third quarter rolls around they are a completely different team.

-- Posted by paulbd on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 12:48 PM

Portageville is good enough to win the tournament as a No. 7 seed. We will see what happens.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 4:27 PM

I'd probably predict a Hayti-Kennett final. But the tournament field is very balanced.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 4:28 PM

Bernie has beat Twin Rivers twice while T.R beat P'ville by 16. Also P'ville blew a 23 point lead at half to Manila. Not overlooking P'ville or talking down on them but first they do have to beat Doniphan. Then if they play Bernie they better hope that they can deal with their pressure Defense and if they do get a lead they better be able to maintain it.

-- Posted by yaeger on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 4:35 PM

Who really knows about the teams in the south they are very unpredictable. S pem beats Cville twice but gets beat by malden? And what hayti beat p'ville at the buzzer? Kennett beats p'ville by 6? That's what makes this tournament so special it don't matter what seed you are any I'd say top 7 could win, unlike the cape tournament where everyone knows (pretty much) that charleston is going to dominate the whole field.

-- Posted by yaeger on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 4:41 PM

Agreed yaeger. I personally think we're going to see a Kennett vs. Bernie final.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 4:54 PM

I agree the Bloomfield Tournament is a much better tournament this year. But that hasn't always been the case. That's just how it is this year.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 7:03 PM

After the egg Kennett laid tonight at Notre Dame, I think this tournament is more wide open than ever. There's no telling who we're going to see in the finals.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 9:44 PM

You might be right Preacher.

-- Posted by DexterResident1976 on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 9:52 PM

BTW, all 26 games will be broadcast live on YHC-TV, yhctv.com and semosportszone.com.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 10:17 PM

Kennett should still win the tournament, but if they don't value the ball anymore than they did tonight (and for stretches in other games) either Bernie or Hayti could beat them.

-- Posted by tmm224 on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 10:18 PM

I think eight teams could make it to the championship game. And maybe if a No. 10 or a No. 11 seed got hot at the right time 10 teams.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 11:50 PM

Thoughts on Dexter's chances of coming out of the top half of the bracket at a No. 12 seed?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Dec 21, 2012, at 11:51 PM

Slim to none and Slim just left town. Dexter has a much better chance of winning the consolation championship.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 1:49 AM

I wouldn't be shocked if Dexter went two and out.

-- Posted by DexterResident1976 on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 7:55 AM

The 12 v 5 game at Bloomfield the past few years has been a lot like the NCAA tournament with the 12 winning. Dexter v Twin Rivers could be a good one.

-- Posted by tmm224 on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 10:31 AM

Dexter has a chance of going home after Day 2 than win anything.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 12:19 PM

After Kennett's game against Notre Dame, I'm still predicting Kennett to be in the finals, but I think now I'm leaning towards Bernie to win it all. I think that Kennett will meet Twin rivers in the semifinals and Bernie will meet Holcomb in the semifinals. Kennett will be too athletic for Twin Rivers, but the matchup between Mitchell and Snyder would be a good one. I think Bernie beats Holcomb again in another close one. My prediction, Bernie beats Kennett by 5 or less.

-- Posted by bleacherking on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 3:55 PM

I don't think Bernie will make it to the finals, but they, along with 3 or 4 others teams could still win it all. Last night was a huge "wake'up" call for Kennett, or at least had better be!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 6:29 PM

I agree with semo7178.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 6:54 PM

Dexter will get beat by 15 or 20 by Twin Rivers easily

-- Posted by yaeger on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 7:05 PM

Issued by The National Weather Service

Paducah, KY

Sat, Dec 22, 2012, 4:18 PM CST

... SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL POSSIBLE AND WINDY CONDITIONS EXPECTED CHRISTMAS NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING...

A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS FORECAST TO MOVE FROM THE SOUTHERN PLAINS NORTHEAST THROUGH TENNESSEE INTO KENTUCKY CHRISTMAS NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY. SEVERAL FORECAST MODELS INDICATE SIGNIFICANT SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE MIDDLE MISSISSIPPI AND LOWER OHIO RIVER VALLEYS. THE PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN AS RAIN ACROSS PORTIONS OF WEST KENTUCKY. AS TEMPERATURES DROP WEDNESDAY EVENING... THIS MAY CAUSE SOME ICING ON ROADWAYS.

HOWEVER... THERE IS STILL SOME UNCERTAINTY... WITH SOME INDICATIONS THAT THE LOW COULD MOVE A LITTLE FARTHER SOUTHEAST AND EAST OF THE REGION. THIS WOULD LEAD TO LESSER SNOW AMOUNTS. OVERALL... AT LEAST SOME SNOW ACCUMULATION IS LIKELY.

EVEN IF THE AREA RECEIVES LESS SIGNIFICANT SNOW AMOUNTS... WINDY CONDITIONS WILL DEVELOP ACROSS THE REGION CHRISTMAS AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE THROUGH AT LEAST EARLY WEDNESDAY. BLOWING SNOW COULD CAUSE REDUCED VISIBILITIES FOR PEOPLE TRAVELING ACROSS THE AREA... AND WIND CHILL READINGS WILL DROP INTO THE TEENS CHRISTMAS NIGHT.

PLEASE CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS AND BE PREPARED TO MAKE SOME ADJUSTMENTS TO YOUR HOLIDAY TRAVEL PLANS.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Dec 22, 2012, at 9:54 PM

Don't forget about the Dons. They are dangerous .Hard to match up with that size.Bulldogs will have to be on there A game to beat'em.

-- Posted by dickie v on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 1:25 PM

Paducah, KY

Sun, Dec 23, 2012, 8:40 AM CST

... SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL POSSIBLE AND WINDY CONDITIONS EXPECTED CHRISTMAS NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING OVER PORTIONS OF THE QUAD STATE REGION...

A STRONG LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM IS FORECAST TO MOVE FROM THE SOUTHERN PLAINS... NORTHEASTWARD THROUGH TENNESSEE AND INTO KENTUCKY... CHRISTMAS NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY. SEVERAL FORECAST MODELS INDICATE SIGNIFICANT SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE MIDDLE MISSISSIPPI AND LOWER OHIO RIVER VALLEYS. THE PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN AS RAIN ACROSS PORTIONS OF WESTERN KENTUCKY. AS TEMPERATURES DROP WEDNESDAY EVENING... THIS MAY CAUSE SOME ICING ON ROADWAYS.

THERE IS STILL QUITE A BIT OF UNCERTAINTY REGARDING THE EXACT TRACK THAT THIS STORM WILL TAKE. FOR EXAMPLE... YESTERDAY THE MODELS TRENDED FURTHER SOUTH AND EAST WITH ITS TRACK. SO FAR TODAY... THE OPPOSITE TREND IS SHOWING UP... WITH THERE NOW BEING SOME INDICATIONS THAT THE STORM TRACK MAY SHIFT A BIT FURTHER NORTH INTO AREAS ALONG AND NORTH OF THE OHIO RIVER. AS A RESULT... WE WILL LEAVE THE FORECAST AS IS... IN AN EFFORT TO PREVENT A YO YO EFFECT TO THE FORECAST. THIS MEANS THAT OVERALL... AT LEAST SOME SNOW ACCUMULATION IS STILL EXPECTED.

EVEN IF THE AREA RECEIVES LESS SIGNIFICANT SNOW AMOUNTS... WINDY CONDITIONS WILL DEVELOP ACROSS THE REGION CHRISTMAS AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE THROUGH AT LEAST EARLY WEDNESDAY. BLOWING SNOW COULD CAUSE REDUCED VISIBILITIES FOR PEOPLE TRAVELING THE AREA... AND WIND CHILL READINGS WILL DROP INTO THE TEENS CHRISTMAS NIGHT.

PLEASE CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS AND BE PREPARED TO MAKE SOME ADJUSTMENTS TO YOUR HOLIDAY TRAVEL PLANS.

View additional information at this link: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a...

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 2:30 PM

Paducah, KY

Sun, Dec 23, 2012, 2:31 PM CST

... WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PADUCAH HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* SNOWFALL AMOUNTS: CURRENT INDICATIONS ARE THAT THE AXIS OF HEAVIEST SNOWFALL WILL BE OVER SOUTHEAST MISSOURI AND SOUTHERN ILLINOIS. SNOWFALL AMOUNTS IN EXCESS OF 6 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THIS AXIS OF HEAVY SNOW. ANY CHANGE IN THE FORECAST TRACK OF THE LOW WOULD CAUSE THE HEAVY SNOW AREA TO SHIFT... SO CONTINUE TO MONITOR UPDATED FORECASTS.

* TIMING: SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN EARLY ON CHRISTMAS NIGHT... POSSIBLY STARTING AS RAIN CHRISTMAS AFTERNOON. HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS WILL OCCUR MOST OF THE NIGHT. THE SNOW WILL END EARLY WEDNESDAY... BUT STRONG WINDS WILL CONTINUE.

* MAIN IMPACT: INTENSE SNOWFALL RATES AND STRONG WINDS MAY CAUSE VERY DIFFICULT TRAVEL CONDITIONS. VISIBILITY WILL BE LOWER THAN ONE HALF MILE... WITH LOCAL WHITEOUT CONDITIONS POSSIBLE.

* OTHER IMPACTS: BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW COULD POTENTIALLY MAKE TRAVEL IMPOSSIBLE. WINDS WILL GUST OVER 30 MPH AT TIMES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW... SLEET... OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT WOULD GREATLY IMPACT TRAVEL. STAY TUNED FOR LATER STATEMENTS. THIS WATCH WILL BE UPGRADED TO A WARNING IF WINTER STORM CONDITIONS BECOME MORE CERTAIN.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 3:23 PM

You serious Clark?

-- Posted by navinjohnson on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 4:07 PM

Thoughts regarding how likely it is Doniphan and Van Buren could get to Bloomfield by Thursday if it snows six inches Tuesday.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 6:58 PM

dustin how many times are you going to post about the weather?once is enough,is this semoball or kfvs12 weather?just wondering

-- Posted by kmasters on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 7:26 PM

Every alert kmasters

I think the topic has historical significance. Anyone remember the last time a team forfeited games because they could not get to the tournament because of winter weather? I think I have the info in my record books at home. I'll look later.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 7:36 PM

does the first round really matter anyway?just sayn

-- Posted by kmasters on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 7:38 PM

Any thoughts regarding if the first-round matters in a tournament?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 7:48 PM

I'm pretty sure Doniphan may have forfeited a game due to not being able to travel, not sure if Van Buren or Greenville ever did.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 8:02 PM

I remember that time semo7178

If my memory serves me correct an ice storm hit the day they tried to play the first round. Doniphan and East Carter may not have come that day / were planning on forfeiting. But the ice got so bad they stopped the tournament at halftime of the Bernie-Hayti game. The second half of the Bernie-Hayti game and other first round games were played the next day.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 8:12 PM

Dustin I like your point about taking the advantage away from deep teams maybe if tourney gets broke up!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Dec 23, 2012, at 8:22 PM

ANYBODY HEARD ANYTHING ON TOURNAMENT DO TO THE WHEATHER.

-- Posted by dickie v on Tue, Dec 25, 2012, at 6:02 PM

WHY ARE WE YELLING

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Tue, Dec 25, 2012, at 6:14 PM

If the weather people are right, the Christmas tournaments may become New Year's tournaments.

-- Posted by DexterResident1976 on Tue, Dec 25, 2012, at 6:22 PM

No games at Bloomfield today

-- Posted by Shank on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 5:12 AM

SEMO Christmas Tournament is postponed today and rescheduled to start on Thurs. with the same time schedule. Finals will be played Sunday. Two consolation semi-finals will be played at Jackson High school because of a SEMO home game.

-- Posted by semo ref on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 7:16 AM

Wednesday's games at the Bloomfield Christmas Tournament have been postponed until Thursday.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 7:27 AM

Finals in Cape on Sunday? That'll be a first.

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 9:19 AM

Why wouldn't Bloomfield also play finals Sunday?

-- Posted by bball79 on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 10:52 AM

Bird, your right that may be a first to have the finals on Sunday. It has been delayed several times, usually by ice, but once by fog. My wife and I have spent several New Years Eve's at the Christmas Tourney. Sunday should be fine, will get people to their parties on Monday. Used to be MSHSAA would not let you play on Sunday without special permission, but not the case now. Good luck to all teams and drive safely, but please don't boo the refs! Ha!

-- Posted by semo ref on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 11:09 AM

I'm happy to hear about Sunday!!! It will give me something to do. I always get bored on Sundays.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 11:13 AM

I can remember "in the old days" that the championship round was played on New Year's Eve; and, weather always seemed to play a part.

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 11:26 AM

Rachel's original blog post that included the interview with Mitch Wood mentions that they would have to get MSHSAA permission to play on Sunday.

Sounds like a fantastic day of Church, Lunch & Hoops!

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 12:08 PM

Playing on Sunday is a bad idea for a lot of reasons and I think it will hurt attendance. I hope both tournaments will play the finals on Monday. That would be a great way to celebrate New Year's Eve. It may even keep a few stupid drunks off the road.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 2:29 PM

South Pem beats Puxico 74-60

-- Posted by Shank on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 5:13 PM

Well I find it to be dumb to play the games on Sunday. A lot of people go to church on Sundays. But I guess church is no longer important when it comes to HS sports. I for one would never let my child extracurricular activities interfere with my child's church going.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 6:06 PM

what is dumb about playing on sundays, college and professional teams play on sundays all of the time, plus church and state suppose to be seperated. The last time I checked, most schools are funded by the government.

-- Posted by kdjones on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 6:23 PM

What's the score for the Portageville game? YHC has lost it's feed.

-- Posted by DW in KenMO on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 7:36 PM

Portageville won 65-55. Currently at halftime of the Malden/Bloomfield game, Bloomfield leads 29-28.

-- Posted by DW in KenMO on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 8:57 PM

Why doesn't exoball's comments show up. It shows as the last comment on this thread, but when you go to the thread there is nothing there.

-- Posted by DW in KenMO on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:02 PM

What was the score of the Holcomb/Van Buren game?

-- Posted by greer958 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:13 PM

65-42 Holcomb

-- Posted by DW in KenMO on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:21 PM

Bloomfield leading Malden at the end of 3. 42-39

-- Posted by DW in KenMO on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:21 PM

Sounds like a nail biter between Bloomfield and Malden!!!

-- Posted by greer958 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:24 PM

52 all Malden/Bloomfield 1:32 left

-- Posted by MaldenGreenwaveSports on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:34 PM

I knew that the Malden/Bloomfield game would be the best of the day...hate that YHC's broadcast is having issues. Hope they resolve it by tomorrow.

-- Posted by TribeFan06 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:36 PM

52 all Malden/Bloomfield Overtime

-- Posted by MaldenGreenwaveSports on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:40 PM

Overtime

-- Posted by DW in KenMO on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:41 PM

I take that back!!! YHC is back on!!!

-- Posted by TribeFan06 on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:41 PM

Thanks, Dustin. I've been listening online to the buzz, 103.9

-- Posted by DW in KenMO on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:47 PM

Bloomfield wins it in OT, 58-56.

-- Posted by DW in KenMO on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:50 PM

Bloomfield that was allsome .

-- Posted by exoball on Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 9:58 PM

Wonder how long it's been since Dexter lost their first two games in the Bloomfield Tournament?

-- Posted by semo7178 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 10:39 AM

semo, i was wondering the same thing. I was also wondering when the last time they lost in the first round. Seems like they may have during Paul Hale's first or second year there.

-- Posted by DexterResident1976 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 12:32 PM

Dexter lost to Puxico in the first round in 2007.

-- Posted by DARsports on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 12:38 PM

Dexterresident I belive Dexter lost about 5 years ago as a 2 seed to a surprising 15 seeded Richland team.

-- Posted by semolian on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 12:41 PM

Wow thought dexter might win that game.

-- Posted by dickie v on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 12:49 PM

I forgot about that...wasn't as long ago as I thought. I stand corrected.

-- Posted by DexterResident1976 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 12:50 PM

Dickie V, looks like you were off about Doniphan beating Portageville. I thought the Dons was going to be tough this year but they have seemed to fall down a few notches. Any particular reason?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 1:04 PM

No guard play no coaching. Enough said. Got big guys trying to play guard that will not work.The coach will soon figure it out after enough loses...

-- Posted by dickie v on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 1:19 PM

Most coaches will try to make size matter not doniphan they got Patterson playing around the premiter he can't hurt you out there.

-- Posted by dickie v on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 1:23 PM

Cheesehead with the right coach doniphan beats portegville a high percentage of games.

-- Posted by dickie v on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 1:30 PM

I believe it was 2007 when Dexter lost the first round to Puxico and the second round to Van Buren.

-- Posted by tmm224 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 1:59 PM

The right coach wouldn't matter if you have no guards to handle or get the bigs the ball.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 2:31 PM

Doniphan beat EP 90-52

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 2:37 PM

Anyone know a kennett -bloomfield score?

-- Posted by squawdad on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 4:39 PM

Was listening to it on radio and heard Kennett was up by 15 at halftime. No score though.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 5:04 PM

Kennett up 47-32 at half.

-- Posted by Skeet on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 5:06 PM

47-32 beginning of 3rd.

-- Posted by semolian on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 5:13 PM

Thanks guys

-- Posted by squawdad on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 5:26 PM

60-41 heading to the 4th

-- Posted by semolian on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 5:37 PM

Kennett won 82-57

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 5:54 PM

Kennett 82-57 final

-- Posted by semolian on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 5:55 PM

South Pem beats Twin Rivers 51-49

-- Posted by Skeet on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 7:33 PM

South Pemiscot 51, Twin Rivers 49

-- Posted by gianthook on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 7:33 PM

looks like I might have been off a bit, thinking Portageville might upset Bernie.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 9:39 PM

Overall, the crowds at Bloomfield have sure dwindled the last few years!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 10:41 PM

Anyone know the Hayti/Holcomb final?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 10:48 PM

Holcomb won.

-- Posted by dickie v on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 10:56 PM

Bernie beat pville by 3

-- Posted by Lloydchristmas on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 10:58 PM

Bernie 53, Pville 50

-- Posted by Skeet on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 10:59 PM

After watching today's games. Holcomb / kennett finals.

-- Posted by Lloydchristmas on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 10:59 PM

That was South Pem who lost to Richland. South Pem was a #2 seed and Richland was a #15 seed. Richland won 60-54.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 11:39 PM

Kennett was very impressive again today as they hammered a game but overmatched Bloomfield squad. Kevonte Mitchell is the best player in the tournament. Holcomb figured out Hayti's weakness, namely, they can't hit a jump shot! They packed it in with a touch 2-3 zone and dared the Indians to beat them from outside and they couldn't do it. Also, they killed Hayti on the boards.

Bernie led Portageville wire-to-wire tonight. The Dawgs tied it in the 4th qtr., but couldn't get over the hump. Dion Foster only scored 4 points and that was the difference in the game. Dom Walker fouling out midway thru the 4th didn't help either. David Baker for Bernie played a great game and led all scorers with 20 points.

I was also impressed with Daniel Patterson for Doniphan. He had 39 points and a boatload of rebounds against East Prairie. The kid can do it all and handles the ball very well for such a big kid. The Dons should win the consolation championship.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 11:58 PM

I could watch Bernie play every day of the week. Those kids play their hearts out and that's a credit to the Bernie coaching staff.

-- Posted by indianchief on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 12:20 AM

Hey Preach, it's Brian Patterson and to Dickie v.. Without Brian handling the ball, pville would have been up by 50. Doniphan has 0 guard play without him. They probably could have won had they played zone instead of man to man against Pville.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 12:37 AM

Holcomb won by 12 or 14 I believe In the end. Led by 20 with 5 to play and turned off the webcast. Probably pulled some starters.

-- Posted by No sir on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 1:00 AM

My mistake smo723. You're right of course, it's Brian Patterson. He really played great today.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 1:20 AM

What time are the kennett and Bernie games being played today

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 5:13 AM

Kennett/south pem play at 7, Bernie/Holcomb play at 830.

-- Posted by bball79 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 8:22 AM

I think it will be kennett vs Bernie for championship . South pem and Holcomb are very capable of winning their games so hopefully kennett will play their best and win

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 8:50 AM

All the games in Bloomfield could go either way today. Hope they're as close as yesterdays since all but 3 games were decided by 7 points or less, and one of those was an "upset".

-- Posted by semolian on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 10:40 AM

Kennett vs South Pem & Bernie vs Holcomb....who you got in both games and then who finishes where for 1st through 4th place?

-- Posted by Shank on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 1:47 PM

Bernie over Kennett in the finals. Holcomb over SP for 3rd.

-- Posted by semolian on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 2:10 PM

Kennett wins. Bernie 2nd. South pem 3rd, Holcomb 4th.

-- Posted by bball79 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 3:18 PM

Agreed bball79. Bernie is good but I think kennett's defensive pressure will give them problems. All games should be good though

-- Posted by basketballfan33 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 4:15 PM

Kennett up 13-2 over south pem in 1st qtr

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 7:26 PM

18-8 knnt end of 1st

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 7:30 PM

38-22 knnt end of 2nd qtr ,

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 7:49 PM

What was the scores to the Malden-Puxico game? And Saxony-Doniphan game?

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 8:26 PM

18-16 Holcomb at the half

-- Posted by semolian on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 9:33 PM

Anybody got ANY of todays scores from The BCT? I assume Kennett won. But what about the rest?

-- Posted by semolian on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 9:41 PM

I think knnt won by 29, not sure about other scores.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 9:50 PM

Dons won Hayti won Bloomfield won Kennett won

-- Posted by dickie v on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 9:54 PM

thanks Ktown, thanks dickieV. Greatly appreciate it

-- Posted by semolian on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 9:57 PM

Any body got a score for the holcomb game?

-- Posted by phi365 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 10:06 PM

49-39 Holcomb less than minute left

-- Posted by semolian on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 10:11 PM

52-39 Holcomb Final

-- Posted by semolian on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 10:13 PM

Great. Thank u very much semolian!

-- Posted by phi365 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 10:16 PM

No problem. So, I guess my prediction regarding shanks question was off, but I got a feeling I'm not the only one who was expecting a Bernie/Kennett final.

-- Posted by semolian on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 10:42 PM

Bernie played without their best offensive player tonight (20 points average) and stuggled shooting big time, and still led in the 4th quarter. No way Holcomb wins if Baker plays.

-- Posted by paulm on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 11:47 PM

It doesn't matter who plays and who doesn't play. Any talk about this takes away from the integrity of the game. Do not attempt to take credit away from Holcomb. Holcomb played better, Holcomb won the game. Congratulations to Holcomb.

-- Posted by 5on5 on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 11:56 PM

Paul,

I guess that's why Bernie beat them by 2 in OT with Baker playing all game and Holcomb having 3 starters out (all 3 bigs including massey) by the end of the game? It happens and you play with what you got. These teams are a tossup and have been for 2 years. Have some class.

-- Posted by No sir on Sat, Dec 29, 2012, at 11:57 PM

Last year in BCT, Bernie beat Holcomb without Holcombs starting PG in Aaron Reeves and nobody made an excuse. It's a game and that has to be won by the kids on the court regardless what happens. Holcomb lost earlier in the year when those bigs fouled out or was injured accidentally by a teammate. Excuses aren't worth anything. They get to play again in Bernie later in the year and I hope both teams are 100%. Hope David turns out to have nothing seriously wrong with his shoulder and congrats to Holcomb winning tonight.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 12:05 AM

South Iron got beat tonight in overtime by the host school 63-59 I don't think there is any undefeated teams left in class 1!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 12:33 AM

Not saying bad about Holcomb. It's just in the three losses to Holcomb the last two years Bernie was short handed everytime. Fouling out at the end of the game is much different than not having your best scorer and rebounder the entire game and having to change your entire game plan. Come on. When they play next time I hope both teams our full strength and then we will see what happens. I know it's part of the game, but we know that was a HUGE break for Holcomb. No way to know for sure of course, but I beleive if Baker plays it's a much, much different game. How you think that stating the obvious is showing no class "No Sir" is just silly.

-- Posted by paulm on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 12:51 AM

As has been pointed out, both teams have won such games in this series. I was speaking to your comment of "no way Holcomb could win with Baker playing." And for the record, the two played last year at full strength when it mattered most in districts and Holcomb won. I congratulated Bernie for winning the Campbell tourney as I watched Holcomb play with 5 guards at the end, and 1 starter. And that game wasn't 52-39....it was a 2pt game in OT. It doesn't matter. That game, and tonight's game were won by the best the two teams had available and that's all that matters. It happens. It's over. No excuses.

-- Posted by No sir on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 1:07 AM

I wasn't going to comment because I don't want to take anything away from Holcomb. They were definitely the better team tonight. Not having David Baker was a blow for Bernie; however, I am very proud of the way the boys played tonight. The final score is a bit deceiving because the Bernie boys fought to keep the team in the game for at least 3.5 quarters. However, Holcomb shot much better from the field than Bernie did tonight. Bernie had their looks but shot as poorly from the field as I can remember seeing them shoot over the past few years. Even without David playing, if Bernie had been able to capitalize on the shots it could have been a different ballgame. Holcomb was the better team tonight,and that is what counts.

With that being said, I can't speak for everyone, but all of the Bernie fans I spoke to agreed that Bernie would have to be at the top of their game in order to beat not only Holcomb, but also, Portageville, South Pem, etc. I think the comment bringing up the fact that Bernie played without Baker tonight was a bit of reactionary statement to the comments made after the previous meeting about the three starters that Holcomb had to play without. At least from the Bernie perspective, these statements appeared to be an attempt to discount Bernie's win at that time. This probably wasn't the case; however, when you are looking at it from your hometown's viewpoint, people tend to get defensive. Even the last comment on this thread appears to discount that win by pointing out the differences in the scores and the number of players missing by each team. I'm sure the comments posted tonight were also reactions to the claim that Holcomb wouldn't have won if Baker had played for Bernie. I can assure you that most of the Bernie fans do not agree with this, as we believe that either team could win on any given night.

Congratulations on the win tonight, and good luck to Holcomb throughout the rest of the year. Hopefully, when we meet again both teams will be at 100%, and we will see another great hard-fought game.

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 1:42 AM

"No Sir" you really need to pay attention. "For the record" when the two teams met in the district last year, Bernie was hardly at full strenghth. They had just lost their two most athletic players including their point guard. I don't know how you missed that. That's not Holcomb's fault, that's what happened, but Bernie was really hurt by that. It's also silly to say tonight's game was 52-39 when it was a really close game all night. Bernie had to force threes, gamble on defense, and foul to stop the clock. That allowed the Hornets to add on. Even a casual fan could recognize that. You are kidding yourself bluemules89 if think most Bernie fans don't think Bernie would have won if their 20 point scorer would have played. Get real. They will meet again in the regular season. If Bernie loses and both teams are full strength, I'll gladly say I am wrong. Can't wait! :)

-- Posted by paulm on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 2:23 AM

And they lost them why? Because they quit the team? We could go on forever but alright man.Smiley face keyboard speak says it all. Bottom line is Holcomb is in the finals. If it helps you sleep to believe Bernie is so vastly superior then so be it. I would think "even a casual fan" could see how evenly matched these 2 are when you look at the scores of their games over the last 2 years. Under no circumstances would the two play and there be "no way" the other could win. Good luck to Bernie in the 3rd place contest with SP Monday as they are an extremely talented team, whose players and coaches continue to represent their school so well. And thank you bluemules89 for your candid, but much more realistic take from the majority of those from Bernie. I believe both teams have earned alot of respect from one another over the last two years.

-- Posted by No sir on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 2:52 AM

Who cares about if Bernie was at full strength. Or Holcomb was the better team tonight.. Kennett will get the 4peat and yalls talk can come to a hault intil yall play again.. I really dont see how massey is one of the best big men in the area. He's not aggressive to me and never has been and yes I have watched hi. Since his fressman year and ive never been to impressed by him primer will outmatch him and hes not fast enough to handle any post player from Kennett and neither is none of the holcomb players... Kennett will win by 15+

-- Posted by Fathead73 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 3:08 AM

Him* freshman*

-- Posted by Fathead73 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 3:09 AM

I think kennett wins by 15 or 20. That being said, they should. It's a nice achievement but until kennett starts beating the big boys in 4-A it doesn't matter. They are playing good for now but let's see what they can do against the teams that count in their district . I believe they have the potential to make a run in the district tournament but we will see if they can put it together. They are playing very good right now.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 6:57 AM

Of course most Bernie fans think Bernie could have or maybe would have won if Baker had played last night, especially because we were within striking distance for most of the night. I would expect the same from fans of any team in the same situation. I also believe that if we had shot for a better percentage, there is a good chance we would have won. However, Holcomb may have adjusted their game and found a way to beat us anyway. I stand by the statement that most of the people I talked to believed that either team could win on any given night.

Regarding last year's season, didn't Bernie beat Holcomb about a week before districts with the same players? Unless I am remembering it wrong or Holcomb was missing players at that time, I don't see how the excuse that we were missing players at districts is valid. I also think that the fact that both teams split games late in the season is further proof that these two teams are fairly evenly matched and have been for the last two years.

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 7:56 AM

Bluemules you are correct that the same players who played in districts played 2 weeks or so earlier at Holcomb. Bernie won that game and Holcomb won at Districts.. Both squads were at full strength both of them games. They split those 1-1 and they each won 1 game each with the other team missing starters. Bernie and Holcomb are a coin flip and it's whoever plays the best that given night. No reason to argue because they get to play again and maybe 2 more times to settle it all.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 8:09 AM

Thanks. I look forward to the next meeting, but both teams have a lot more basketball to play before that happens. Good luck to both teams for the rest of the season.

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 8:13 AM

Holcomb outplayed Bernie last night and congrats to them for that. The Baker kid being out no doubt hurt but as the Bernie coach said, they couldn't throw it in the ocean. Kennett will win Monday I believe. If they do, a 4-peat at this tournament would be a great accomplishment. I don't buy into the "they and Dexter are biggest schools so they should win" stuff. Kennett has always played in this tourney and has largely been irrelevant. Coach Vaughan has brought the talent there together and should be commended for that. Winning 4 games in 4 days isn't easy and doing it 4 years in a row would be impressive.

-- Posted by bball79 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 8:54 AM

I try to be a realist, therefore I realize the chances of Holcomb beat Kennett are slim to none Monday night. But for Fatheads comments regarding Massey, I hate to break the news to him but Primer will not have his way with him. He has now played varsity ball for 4 years and nobody has had their way with him. As for Kennett being the larger school, I really don't want to ever see a championship game between a team that is literally 3 times larger than the other. (Kennett-564 Holcomb-180) I do understand getting into a the Semo Christmas Tourney is very difficult, but thats where them and Dexter both belong. And until this happens, Kennett can keep dreaming about winning a district title.

-- Posted by bleacherking on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 9:51 AM

The seMissourian Christmas Tournament is by no means a large school tournament. In fact, there are many more small schools than large schools. Jackson, Cape Central and Notre Dame are the only large schools. If you want to classify Scott City, Kelly and Charleston as large schools, then I guess you have 6 "large" schools; keep in mind, Charleston has an enrollment around 300, not hardly a large school.

Throw in Bell City, Leopold, Meadow Heights, Delta, Chaffee, SCC, Oak Ridge and a few schools a little bit larger, i.e. Advance and you have a field of teams, size wise, that is comparable to Bloomfield.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 10:21 AM

Bleacher king....That statement is ridiculous and misguided. They have both played in this tournament for years with Dexter playing in it since its inception. Heritage is the reason both teams will accept the invitation Bloomfield grants them each year. Dexter and Kennett could play in the NCAA Tournament and still not win their district. Since you bring up enrollment....both teams Kennett and Dexter will be competing against schools twice their size in their own district(try 550 vs 1200). I don't believe you will be able to say that when it comes to your own team's district(all within roughly 60 students). Do not start making excuses for your beloved team before they even playI After all, I believe Holcomb has a chance!

-- Posted by okachaw on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 10:29 AM

Kennett won the district championship three years ago by defeating charleston or nmcc then defeated the number one ranked team in the state Arcadia valley by twenty or so. I think that was the same year we beat a good holcomb team by twenty. Massey is great against schools with no big men , free throws and two footers. We will see and know in few days. Dexter is still a big school this year and how did they do?

-- Posted by squawdad on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 10:30 AM

Congrats to Holcomb, them and Bernie are wars everytime they play, and we could possibly see them play 2 more times by the end of the year. U have to straight out beat Holcomb they dont beat themselves, Kennett is a good team and will test them big time I know both coaches well and i wish thme the best of luck, I think it will be a close game better than people think.

-- Posted by CoachMathis44 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 10:30 AM

Agreed bleacherking. It really makes no sense. How playing Richland, Bloomfield, SP, and Holcomb is preparing them for the likes of sikeston cape and ND is laughable, and their results against those schools show that. Add up the head count of all Kennetts opponents at the BCT and COMBINED they likely would be similar to the enrollment of Kennett alone.

-- Posted by No sir on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 10:31 AM

Trust me these schools get a taste of preparing for their district outside of this tournament. Give me one team within 75 miles they don't already play that could help them win a district. They have played Sikeston, ND, Jackson(twice) and Charleston(twice). They still have to go play Central, ND again, New Madrid, Bluff. Who else do you want them to play? The SEMO Christmas tourney has more smaller schools in it than Bloomfield. I am having trouble understanding what you guys have against Dexter and want them to do. Sadly, they just aren't very good.

-- Posted by okachaw on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 10:43 AM

When i seen baker not on the floor i new they had trouble the kid is a stud. But they gave there all. Holcomb won the game they are a good ballteam. And to fathead the massey kid is a stud give credit where credit is do.He can play on my team everyday.

-- Posted by dickie v on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 10:56 AM

I guess Hayti has no big men.

-- Posted by No sir on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 10:57 AM

Bernie mules are a good ballteam and Holcomb hornets is a good ballteam .But bernie is better when baker is on the floor. But you have to play with what you got .Both teams played hard hornets won. It will be a good game everytime they play.

-- Posted by dickie v on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 11:12 AM

Congrats to Holcomb! Until we meet again.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 11:55 AM

Over the last 5 or 6 years kennett has played a pretty good schedule counting the river bend and huricane classic in Jonesboro , now they play in the rector tournament also. They have a good coach that has them on the rise every year. They do not just play small schools. They will be competitive in this years district tournament . Not many schools in the state would win our class 3 or 4 district. If they did ,they would be state champs more than likely. Holcomb and Bernie both have good teams for the size of school they are.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 12:10 PM

Well said ktown5150.

-- Posted by indianchief on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 1:41 PM

Don't see how u think that most teams in the state couldn't win the class 4 district there have only been what 2 state champs out of that district in the last how many years? Now I will agree with u on the class 3 district.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 1:54 PM

Massey will be just fine against kennett.If they get him the ball he will score.He's got good hands around the basket.And they got know one that can stop him from scoring.PRIMER can't stop him.Not saying kennett wont win but massey will do fine. If you get a chance come and watch.

-- Posted by dickie v on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 5:49 PM

Fathead. FYI, Frankie Burden of Hayti is 6 foot 7. Same height as Massey. And in the past two seasons Massey averages aroubd 20 ppg against him. His lowest output was 13 against them two nights ago and that was only because of missed FTs which he doesn't do often, and the fact that he did not need to score. Holcomb led the whole way including by 20 with 5 to play. As for that game though he had over 10 boards to go along with 9 blocked shots. Check the tape. Dominant against a player of equal size. In holcombs loss to Hayti earlier this year he scored 23, Burden 12. This is just one of numerous examples of this over the past 4 years. Jamie scores and is a presence inside regardless of opponent. He has recorded 29, 23, 24, and 19 against Hayti portageville and Bernie in recent contests. It doesn't matter. Does that mean Holcomb should, or will win? Heck no. They are playing with house money. But I promise you Massey will score, rebound, and defend just fine, as he has every game of his HS career. Go find me a link to some Holcomb losses over the last 3 years where he was held down like that. Good luck. Nobody is on here slamming individual players from any other team. Holcomb and Kennett both earned their way there, and are both tough to beat.

-- Posted by No sir on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 6:26 PM

Please do not allow FH73's comments reflect the Kennett basketball program as we do not share the same opinion. I/we have the utmost respect for Jamey. A very quality player and an even better young man. He represents himself, his school, and his family very well. Also have much respect for the Holcomb program and my good friend, Coach McBroom.

Coach Vaughan

-- Posted by indian hoops on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 6:29 PM

fathead, you should not get on here and blast away at a kid, "big for nothing", "soft", that shows a lot of maturity. Do not forget the fact that these children play for free and to entertain the fans. I reported your comments to the webmaster, but as usual they probably wont do anything about it.

-- Posted by kdjones on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 6:33 PM

No Sir...I hate to tell you, but you are wrong yet again. The Burden kid from Hayti is not 6'7". You can tell by looking at him he's shorter than Massey and every program I've seen has him listed at 6'5".

-- Posted by paulm on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 6:39 PM

I have read on multiple threads people saying Massey is only good because he's tall. What would Shaq have been like as a 6-foot tall player? Even 6'4" or 6'5"? Nowhere near NBA material. Phil Pressey wouldn't be near as good if he played against somebody as quick as he his. You can't fault a player because of his physical attributes. They have to use those physical attributes, in combination with their basketball skills, to their advantage. I can promise you coaches do not enjoy game-planning to defend Massey. It's not easy to do. Many people on here do not understand basketball as much as they think they do.

-- Posted by double43 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 7:32 PM

You people who are taking it upon yourselves to "rip" kids unmercifully are an embarrassment to yourselves, and are not representing your schools/teams with respect! It's folks like you that try to make the games all about "you," and much more harm than you perhaps imagine. Furthermore, when stuff like this becomes known to the players, it makes the jobs for coaches more difficult as well. I've observed instances afterwhich dissension among teams actually festered, and led to them falling short of what they might have been able to accomplish otherwise

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 7:34 PM

All these people can talk about 4peat all they want. The way those fans celebrate on this site for Kennett winning again is silly. Those fans seem to put down the other teams players which in the end cheapens their own wins even more. Those fans probably rooted for Goliath against David, the St. Louis Cardinals if they were to play a local Little League team, and for sure they would defend the LA Lakers playing a local 12 year old Kiwanis Basketball team up 50 with 45 seconds left and still running that full court press. The Massey kid is one of the best kids around without even having to mention his on the court ability. Watch him show a little class when he gets his 4th or 5th block in a game. Funny thing about him is he won't do a dance, point a finger or talk smack, he just turns arond and heads back down court. There are some great kids on all these teams. Some of the fans could take a lesson from them.

-- Posted by MoArk on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 8:01 PM

Ok ill admit my comments were wrong and selfish but yea ill just keep my comments to myself and not offend anybody else..it was my opinion and it wont

-- Posted by Fathead73 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 8:10 PM

Great post MoArk. Massey does things the right way. He just plays the game he loves. He's big, strong, intelligent, and tough to handle. He's unselfish, understands his role/importance on the team, and never attempts to show another team, player, fan, or official up. He's all business on the court. Super kid. You'll never see any showboating, cockiness, or anything from him. There isn't a coach in the state who would not want him on his team.

(Even the fans on here ripping him would probably love to him him on their team. But, hey, if it makes them feel better to talk bad about a teenager that speaks a great deal of their character. I would like to see any of them challenge Massey to a game of 1-on-1. I'll take Massey and even put money down that the challenger wouldn't score.)

-- Posted by double43 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 8:12 PM

Kennett and Holcomb are both blessed with a good run of talented kids, both teams are great and coached well or they would not be there. I do want kennett to win but respect the Holcomb program and have heard nothing but good things about those kids, so lets enjoy this and I wish all the kids the best . A healthy rivalry

-- Posted by squawdad on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 9:01 PM

Moark, maybe I should read all the above posts more carefully but in scanning I just don't see a lot of "4peat" talk on here. I really don't see why Kennett fans shouldn't celebrate winning this fine tournament. Just because they've won it before wouldn't make this any less sweet. As for dogging other teams, I don't recognize any of the offending posters' names as Kennett followers. In closing...the size of the school does not determine who wins, the written history of the tournament will show it has always been won by the team who played the best.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 7:43 AM

MoArk's post was off the mark with the exception of the 3 lines about Massey. He is a great kid, on and off the court. Lumping all Kennett fans in with the few who have spoken unkindly about others is wrong. Most of the Kennett fans do know talent when they see it and Massey has it. As far as the size of schools in this tournament, it's a Christmas tournament, not a class or district tournament. Most of these schools have played in this event for decades. Doniphan has over 500 in their high school, but since they weren't winning the tournament, no one lumped them in the "too large" for this tournament category. There are several small schools in the Semo Christmas tournament, but they don't seem to want the larger schools out of that tournament. Quantity doesn't always trump quality. Now, everyone root for the team of their choice and have a happy new year.

-- Posted by DW in KenMO on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 8:15 AM

For anybody that might know. How many teams seeded 6th or lower have made the finals? And has their ever been one win it? Just curious.

-- Posted by bleacherking on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 11:52 AM

Good luck to both teams tonite, great Coaches and classy programs. Bet neither coach got sleep last nite.

-- Posted by CoachMathis44 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 12:14 PM

Holcomb is the best, and they have a good chance of winning! But Kennett is also good, but the end result will be what I had on my bracket 63 59 holcomb.

-- Posted by B-ball junkie on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 12:49 PM

Wish I could go tonight but gotta work. Should be a great game, holcomb is a scrappy,good shooting team and kennett will have to watch turnovers. Massey will get his usual so kennett will need to watch the perimeter shooting of the hornets. Will be fun to watch, I think it will be the Indians by 5 -10 if they play like they did the previous games in the tourny. I like the way holcomb plays but think kennett is a little deeper. All of you going be safe.

-- Posted by squawdad on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 3:41 PM

Anybody know who won the consolation championship at Bloomfield?

-- Posted by Skeet on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 4:40 PM

I hope everyone has a safe trip to and from the game. I think kennett wins by 15 or 20, especially if they play like they have lately. I don't think Holcomb can keep up that pace the entire game. I like Holcomb, just don't think they can keep up with kennett.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 4:44 PM

Doniphan

-- Posted by DW in KenMO on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 4:51 PM

59-44 Hayti won over Bloomfield

-- Posted by semolian on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 5:17 PM

watch it on yhctv.com.

-- Posted by semolian on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 5:18 PM

Kennett up 31-29 at the half.

-- Posted by TheSentinel on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 7:53 PM

Bernie over SP 59-56 for Third Place.

-- Posted by TheSentinel on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 7:55 PM

Got to give it to Holcomb , they played a good first half. Massey played very good I'm sure he will get some points in second half but I think they will get tired and kennett will run away with it

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 7:56 PM

Holcomb up 50-48 after 3!

-- Posted by TheSentinel on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 8:17 PM

We have a winner! Holcomb by 4!

-- Posted by TheSentinel on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 8:47 PM

congrats to holcomb!

-- Posted by hayti123456 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 8:48 PM

Congrats to Holcomb. That's really an exceptional win. Just outstanding.

-- Posted by troll on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 8:48 PM

ktown 5150, take your foot outta your mouth because its stuck wayyyyyy in there

-- Posted by hayti123456 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 8:49 PM

1st, 3rd,4th,5th, and 6th place. Not bad Class 2 District 1.

-- Posted by TheSentinel on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 8:50 PM

I was wrong, Holcomb played a heck of a game. They deserve the win. Mitchell played a great game ended with 27 points, I think Massey had 25 or 26. They both played great so did a few others on each team. It was a good game to watch unless your a kennett fan.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 8:55 PM

Congrats holcomb good win , wish I could have been there sounded like a great back and forth game

-- Posted by squawdad on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 8:55 PM

Watched the second half. Was very enjoyable. I always cheer for the underdog. Glad to see the underdog win! Holcomb has a good team.

-- Posted by ladybug21 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 8:59 PM

Hayti, not really . I , like plenty of others thought kennett would tire them out and I was wrong. They played very good and deserve the win but far cry from foot in mouth

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 8:59 PM

Massey with 31. Twenty-one in second half.

-- Posted by gianthook on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 9:11 PM

Jamie also had 10 rebounds and 5 blocks to go along with 31 pts..

-- Posted by sm0723 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 9:26 PM

Holcomb. That is all.

-- Posted by B-ball junkie on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 9:35 PM

Why did drake get all tournament again?

-- Posted by B-ball junkie on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 9:36 PM

Holcombfan do not start talking down about a player.. Holcomb won so be happy.. Drake scored 14 ppg going into tonight and had a strong first 3 games before tonight.. So that's why he made it. Leave it at that.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 9:38 PM

All Tournament Team

K. Mitchell - Kennett

J. Massey - Holcomb

B. Patterson - Doniphan

M. Newbill - Hayti

S. Harris - South Pem

R. Reeves - Holcomb

B. Ruch - Bloomfield

A. Primer - Kennett

M. Snider - Twin Rivers

D. Baker - Bernie

A. Drake - Kennett

F. Burden - Hayti

-- Posted by sm0723 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 9:42 PM

Congratulations to the Holcomb Hornets. Huge upset, I like most other people thought Kennett would win by 15. Being a small school living only a few miles from the larger school I'm sure is a rival had to feel good! Coach McBroom does a great job there. The Class 2 district at Bloomfield has to be the toughest in the state with the way these teams looked here. This was a great game to watch.

-- Posted by paulm on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 9:48 PM

I didn't think Holcomb could win a game played in the 70's going in. Kennett turned them over, but Holcomb had a great game plan defensively packing their man to man in and making Kennett shoot jump shots. Holcomb also did a great job at the foul line. Well coached basketball team that deserved to win.

-- Posted by DexterResident1976 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 10:28 PM

Now that was one of the best ballgames i ever watched.Holcomb and kennett played there hearts out and the hornets are the champs.Jamie massey (wow)what a game you guys earned that trophy.Congrats to the Hornets and Coach McBroom.

-- Posted by Royal Flush on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 11:26 PM

Congratulations Holcomb. You played a great game and showed great focus. And this comes from a Kennett dad. Wish the outcome would have been different but hats off to a great performance.

-- Posted by Thats A Winner on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 11:27 PM

Congrats to both team especially Holcomb, both classy teams and coaches.

-- Posted by CoachMathis44 on Mon, Dec 31, 2012, at 11:49 PM

Thanks for the complimentary comments from many of you regarding both teams efforts tonight in the Holcomb/Kennett game. Very good hard fought game.

Couldn't help remembering the comments below regarding Massey. Look at his numbers Fathead73--Don't know what he could have done if he were "aggressive" and "fast enough to handle any of the Kennett post players".

Fathead73 on Sun, Dec 30, 2012, at 3:08 AM

I really dont see how massey is one of the best big men in the area. He's not aggressive to me and never has been and yes I have watched hi. Since his fressman year and ive never been to impressed by him primer will outmatch him and hes not fast enough to handle any post player from Kennett and neither is none of the holcomb players... Kennett will win by 15+

-- Posted by MoArk on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 12:19 AM

Hats off to the Hornets! All of them, they is know (I ) in team! Great job for the rest of Hornet boys on the team.

-- Posted by Chog65 on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 12:27 AM

I have watch jamie play a bunch and it seems to me that people have a hard time believeing that he is as good as he is because he doesn't run jump and holler he is just meek and skilled!

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 10:58 AM

Ask the opposing players that have to guard Massey or the opposing coaches that have to make up a plan to stop him. I guarantee none of them think he is overrated. The only people saying that garbage are the people that think dunking and beating your chest is what basketball is about. Massey is very skilled and he plays the game the right way.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 11:40 AM

Great job, Hornets. Don't get me wrong, being from Kennett, an alum of KHS and announcer for their teams, I wanted Kennett to win. With that being said, though, it was a fantastic game to watch. I think Massey is so good at what he does and the fact that it seems so effortless for him that people have misconceptions about his talent. Some things come easy for some folks and he definitely knows what his strengths are. He is a very good player and uses those strenghts to his advantage. But, he wasn't the only cog in that wheel last night. He may have scored the most points for his team, but without the outstanding counterparts, they wouldn't have been able to win that game. Glover, Davis, Reeves, Clark and I could go on, stepped up when needed and showed what good teams can do when they are all on the same page. I also applaud the Indians for not giving up when they were down 8-0 early in the game or when they would take the lead, only to have the Hornets come back and go ahead again. Great effort by both teams. I hope both schools will experience success with their programs for the remainder of this basketball season and beyond.

Happy New Year.

-- Posted by DW in KenMO on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 12:55 PM

Well said, DW!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 1:32 PM

Well said I agree with D.W. and Pete Sims.

-- Posted by squawdad on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 5:16 PM

Squawdad, it was good to meet you the other night at the BCT. Tough loss for Kennett but they'll be back. I think the key for them is getting more consistent scoring from Drake. If he can average scoring in double figures from here on out, Kennett is going to be hard to beat.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 5:30 PM

Thanks and I was glad to meet you as well. I agree with you, I recorded the game on yhc and watched it this morning . It appeared that shot selection, composure and focus are areas that improvement on offense is needed for the indians. What must be remembered also is that kennett at times has a very young group on the floor and they will continue to improve with coach vaughans direction. Taylor is out hurt and drake was playing with a turned ankle I can accept a loss to a very good holcomb team. Nelson is coming along and caruthers the other freshman when healthy will be just as good so I am looking forward to future.Holcomb plays well as a team and coach mcbroom has done a great job.

-- Posted by squawdad on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 6:15 PM

I would like to add that as fans we really are thankful for the work the YHC and pollock broadcasting do. It makes all the difference when we cant go to the games. You guys on t.v. and ole darrel w. do a great job. Thanks

-- Posted by squawdad on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 6:24 PM

We appreciate it squawdad. Also, I was glad to see Taylor back on the bench for Kennett, even though he couldn't play due to injury. It was pretty scary to see him taken off on a stretcher. Hope he's able to play again soon.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 6:37 PM

Well said bootheel hooper! Massey is a great player as all who play him year after year in the tri county conference. He's always done his job without any fanfare. Just a good solid workhorse not a show horse!! And a great kid to boot!

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 10:36 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.