[semoball.com] Login | Register
Post reply Read replies (43) More threads Create thread

Key Games (Dec. 3-4)
Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 8:35 PM:

I'll try to post these threads once, sometimes twice a week. I will try to feature games that match-up the best teams in the area or that are big rivalries. The SEMO Conference Tourney kicks off Monday and Tuesday at Sikeston. Unless otherwise stated, all games begin at 6 p.m. Please feel free to make your predictions or add games if you feel like I've overlooked a key game.

Monday, Dec. 3 (SEMO Conference Tourney):

1. Jackson vs. Notre Dame, 5:30 pm.

2. Sikeston vs. Poplar Bluff, 7:00 pm.

3. Charleston vs. Dexter, 8:30 pm.

Tuesday, Dec. 4:

1. Cape Central vs. NMCC, SEMO Conference Tourney, 7:30 pm.

2. Caruthersville @ Kennett.

3. Hayti @ South Pemiscot.

4. Scott City @ Bernie.

4. Oran @ Risco.

5. Eminence @ Clearwater.

6. Leopold @ Woodland.

Replies

NMCC will beat Cape Central 10 to 15 points.

-- Posted by jayrod on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 10:45 PM

One addition to the Tuesday slate for SEMO Conference tourney is the loser of the Charleston-Dexter game will play the loser of the Jackson-Notre Dame game at 6:00 PM.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 10:47 PM

With the turmoil Cape's team is evidently in right now, I agree with you jayrod. Plus NMCC had a good showing at the Riverbend Classic.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 10:48 PM

Jackson looked awful tought friday night against

Northwest. Their defense was great and they had balanced scoring. And their big men aren't too bad either.

-- Posted by country man on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 10:50 PM

I didn't know that Sideline. Thanks for the update. I imagine that will be Dexter vs. ND and ND will prolly win that game. Is there a link to the brackets for the SEMO Conference Tourney Sideline?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 10:50 PM

I haven't seen a link to the bracket but I've gone to the tournament enough times over the years to know the general format for the week.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 10:55 PM

Are you going to make it in for any of the games this year Sideline?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 10:58 PM

I'll be in for the semi-finals and finals this year if everything works out as I have it planned. We could see some classics on Thursday and Friday.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 10:59 PM

I agree Sideline. I plan to be there on Monday and Friday night. My boys are in wrestling meets on Tuesday and Thursday night. That's unless YHC needs me to broadcast a game Friday night. It would be good to meet up Friday night if possible.

My predictions: Charleston vs. Sikeston in the finals; Jackson vs. NMCC for third; Cape Central vs. Notre Dame in the consolation game.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 11:05 PM

I'll definitely try to find you to say hi Friday night. I'm also in agreement with you on your predictions for the tournament. I would not be overly shocked if Bluff were to beat Cape in a consolation semi-final matchup but both teams are struggling mightily with Cape losing to St James today and PB losing to South Iron yesterday. I'll pick Sikeston to win the tournament, Jackson to win the third place game, and Notre Dame to win the consolation bracket.

Caruthersville-Kennett, Hayti-South Pem, Bernie-Scott City, and Eminence-Clearwater is a stacked card as well. All four of those games should be barnburners.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 11:16 PM

I hope that works out for us to meet up Friday night Sideline. I'm going to give Charleston the nod over Sikeston as I think they're a little more battle-tested right now, but it could really go either way. But I agree with you on Jackson and ND.

I also really like the Oran vs. Risco game. I think Oran should pull it out, but that one could be a real shoot-out too, esp. if Risco gets an injured starter back.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 11:31 PM

It really is a loaded slate for the early season on Tuesday night. In terms of the potential Charleston-Sikeston final, Charleston is definitely more battle tested and is the favorite coming in with where they were last year. I'm partially a homer about Sikeston but I also just like the makeup of the team this year. Just about everyone can bring the ball up the floor. Just about everyone including the guys who play at the 4 or the 5 most nights are good shooters like Jones (who hit three or four 3-pointers tonight) and Jackson. There's just a lot of versatility in this squad especially coming off the bench in Ray, Jackson, and Harris who I think are difference makers. I know those are names a lot of people outside of Sikeston don't know but I've been impressed by just how quickly they have been able to come in and be major contributors on the varsity.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 11:41 PM

SC better kick it up a notch or two for the Bernie game or we'll leave there 2-2.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Sun, Dec 2, 2012, at 11:24 AM

Bernie is a basketball school. They will be tough to beat.

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Dec 3, 2012, at 4:14 PM

SC by 5.

-- Posted by UFO on Mon, Dec 3, 2012, at 4:15 PM

I'll give you the award for optimism, UFO. I'm not as confident as I should be after the all out disaster Friday night.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Mon, Dec 3, 2012, at 4:37 PM

We can pull it out I know, but we had better be hitting on all cylinders.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Mon, Dec 3, 2012, at 4:47 PM

Preach, give us your updates on how everybody looks at the SEMO Conference tourney tonight if you can. I'm especially interested in the Jackson-Notre Dame matchup.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Dec 3, 2012, at 4:48 PM

Preacher Hunter Knight will be out for both of Risco's games this week.

-- Posted by jpaawhite on Mon, Dec 3, 2012, at 8:18 PM

Cheese, are you guys gonna make the Kennett - Cville game and do ya have a prediction? Its so early and so many injuries, freshmen, and other variables at play I dont know what to expect.

-- Posted by squawdad on Mon, Dec 3, 2012, at 9:01 PM

My thoughts tonight after watching Day 1 at the SEMO Conference Tourney is that Charleston and Sikeston are heads-and-shoulders above all the other teams in the league. I don't think anyone else in the conference (except maybe NMCC) can play within 25 points of either team.

The biggest disappointment to me was Jackson. They blew a 19 point halftime lead and played just awful in the 2nd half. Kudos to Notre Dame for continuing to play hard and coming back for the win.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Dec 3, 2012, at 11:51 PM

Looks like Notre Dame is hushing up the critics already, they showed the will to win.

-- Posted by PoliticalCorrect on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 8:17 AM

Cue the recruitment whining!

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 8:27 AM

In all seriousness, though, you can't hush the critics just yet. ND is going to be better than most people would've thought, but their inexperience is going to be evident plenty this season. Monster win last night.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 8:31 AM

I believe Kennett will win at home tonight. Caruthersville certainly has the athletes to win this one but Kennett has had their number lately, winning 7 in a row. Kennett has Primer back in the post and I can see him hurting them inside. Should be a fun one, up and down the court in a hurry tonight on both sides. I believe YHC is televising this game live as well. I'm like Cheese, season really gets started for me tonight.

-- Posted by bball79 on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:21 AM

The Leopold vs Woodland Game tonight is @ Leopold.

-- Posted by goBIGblue on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:39 AM

Sorry for the mistake goBIGBLUE. Leopold is really going to be a team to watch this year. Woodland is improved from last year, but the Wildcats should win this one going away.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:50 AM

No problem and thanks for the compliment. We should make some noise this year. They are a great group of kids and are really hungry this year.

I agree woodland has improved from last year alot. I believe they will continue to get better with every game this season. I think the new coach has them moving in the right direction.

We should win this one, but you never take anyone lightly.

-- Posted by goBIGblue on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:55 AM

I believe C'water and Eminence will be a good game. Eminence may be 6th in class 1, but C'water almost beat SI at the Arcadia Valley Tournament and SI is #2 in class 1. C'water will surprise a lot of folks this year.

-- Posted by tooldogging on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 1:03 PM

C'water lost to SI on a 3 ball at the buzzer.

-- Posted by tooldogging on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 1:03 PM

Tooldogging, hasn't Eminence already beaten Doniphan this year too?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 2:19 PM

Not sure

-- Posted by tooldogging on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 2:59 PM

Heard BuckMajor might make a surprise late appearance at the SEMO conference tournament.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 4:33 PM

Who's going to be at what game to give updates and analysis of tonight's key games? I will be in Dexter for our wrestling match against NMCC.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 5:13 PM

Semo Sports Zone is going to be showing the live broadcast of the Kennett-Caruthersville game tonight. I will try to provide updates from both that game via the video as well as the Cape-New Madrid game via radio. Scores will be on the Score update thread.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 6:22 PM

Tooldogging, who won the Eminence-Clearwater game tonight?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:09 PM

Eminence defeated Clearwater 47-46.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:11 PM

Where did you find the score Sideline?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:15 PM

MoSports and Twitter.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:16 PM

Well I'm not on Twitter, so I'll try MoSports. Thanks for the info.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:34 PM

No problem. I'm all over the web.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:35 PM

Text sponsored by Dustin Ward... Can't wait for volleyball season!!!

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:38 PM

C'Water had a really bad shooting night, and for some reason, tried to run the clock down with over a minute left in the game down by one point. Did not really get it but hey, that's why I'm not a coach. Ended up losing by one 47-46.

-- Posted by tooldogging on Wed, Dec 5, 2012, at 9:13 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.