Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Will Notre Dame Varsity Team Be Any Good This Year??

Posted by Red Devils 23 on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 9:15 AM:

I have heard many different things about if they will be good or not and i am just wanting to hear yalls opinions

Replies (63)

It depends on what kind of basketball they play. Almost every team they are going to play is going to be bigger than them. They are going to depend a lot on three's and using what speed they have to run the floor. It could be a long year for the "lean mean machine" that is Notre Dame basketball.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 10:11 AM
  • Folks on here been saying up to 4 sophs mite be starters so that could make it tuff, but they always play smart disciplined ball. This is one team thats hard to predict so basically i havnt a clue. Anyone see them in summerball?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 10:25 AM

I know that they beat Sikeston the first time they played, but lost the second time. I have no clue what players from each team played though.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 10:33 AM
  • Depends on Recruiting Efforts...

-- Posted by UFO on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 10:34 AM

Notre Dame will be fine this year. They may not win as many games as is normally expected from an ND team but they will win more than their fair share. I wish them luck this year (except for when they play Sikeston).

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 10:36 AM

Maybe they can recruit some kids that will be eligible for second semester.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 10:37 AM
  • Coach has cut many players this year, boys are not used to playing together yet. This could serve as a problem for the "sophomore" team. It's a short and lean team this year folks. Will most likely be a slow start.

-- Posted by ball4lyfee on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 10:42 AM
  • Well whatever their record ends up being theyll always make me nervous when redawgz playem! I just cant see em ever being a walkover. Next week we'll find out!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 10:43 AM
  • I never count ND down or out.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 10:43 AM
  • My son played on a team with Colton Blankenship and Douglas Phillips this summer and Colton was a solid ball handler and Phillips was a real offensive talent and was a good defender in the post even though he is not very tall. Both were disciplined players. ND should have a decent team this year

-- Posted by Red Devils 23 on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 9:09 AM
  • No ND is going to be BAD, our 8th grade team would kill ND varisty

-- Posted by SikestonBaller21 on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 10:17 AM
  • It's laughable to see all the shots you guys are taking at ND because of "recruiting." ND doesn't have to recruit. Players already want to go there because they WIN.

-- Posted by grizzfan93 on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 1:28 PM
  • Poor ole ND will only have a 6-5, two 6-4's and a 6-3. What are they to do?

Give me a break. At Sikeston we're jumping for joy if we get a 6-3 kid.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 1:40 PM

ND has one 6-4 kid who weighs about 160. After that it goes 6-2,6-2,6-1,6-0. It may seem like they have some height, but they can't use it in the post very effectively because they just aren't big enough. They don't have anyone that weighs 200 pounds. They can still win games, but it will be with a guard dominated offense and pressure D. It will be tough for them against teams that have someone like JT from Sikeston who can just push ND around.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 5:55 PM
  • grizzfan93,

Clarification:

Charleston, Sikeston and Scott County Central WIN with kids from their own towns.

Notre Dame COMPETES with kids from other towns.

-- Posted by UFO on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 6:31 AM

"Poor ole ND will only have a 6-5, two 6-4's and a 6-3. What are they to do?"

From what decade are you pulling this lineup?

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 7:11 AM

"Notre Dame COMPETES with kids from other towns."

This is true; it is, of course, labeled a regional school. This apparently upsets you tremendously.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 7:18 AM
  • That is from the 2012-13 roster that is listed. I don't know how strong they are or what positions they play, but I can read the numbers on the program.

#4 6'5

#24 6'3

#30 6'4

#44 6'4

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 8:04 AM

I stand corrected. Doesn't change the fact that - in context - these heights don't grant the advantage you were suggesting.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 8:18 AM
  • I wasn't suggesting anything. Just pointing out that they aren't teeny tiny little boys out there and they will have more height than probably most teams they play I bet, including district rival Sikeston. I have no idea who they are or how good they are. Just pointing out what the roster shows.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 8:34 AM
  • Corporal....your last post is probably the first time we have agreed. Sikeston has to deal with being "undersized" on an annual basis. Poor, mistreated ND...

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 8:35 AM
  • The only player I know for sure is Poythress, who is 6-5. It's not like he's a stiff. He's their best player. Long and rangy. Mostly a perimeter shooter offensively at this time, but with that kind of length he will pose problems on the defensive end and on the boards.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 8:46 AM

Those heights listed are "basketball" heights. If you subtract an inch or two you will get the actual heights. Also number 44 is really only 6-0.

-- Posted by thunderstick on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 9:10 AM
  • Well dang if you have to subtract an inch or two for basketball heights then Sikeston barely has a kid over 6 foot.

-- Posted by trainhard on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 9:13 AM
  • ND's tallest kid is 6 2 maybe 6 3

-- Posted by Red Devils 23 on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 9:15 AM
  • Well basketball season has officially started. Someone has accused ND of recruiting and someone has called all Sikeston fans arrogant.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 9:18 AM
  • Poythress is at least 6'4", and maybe 6'5". I saw him last week.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 9:37 AM
  • Fatboy....you are correct! Hoops season has started!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 9:44 AM
  • I'll never forget being down 7pts with a minute to go in 3rd qtr to nd in dist championship game 2yrs ago. That sikeston team ended the year with an avg margin of victory of 30 friggn pts!! And yet nd was puttn it to us. Thus i refuse to believe that theyll ever truly have a down year, they compete every year.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 9:55 AM
  • Where's the "Like" button? Fatboy, that was spot on!!!

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 10:05 AM
  • Agreed, cirithungol17....THAT is precisely why the Sikeston coaching staff NEVER, EVER overlooks ND. Ever!! Did I say EVER??

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 10:21 AM

Oh, Rocket, you know we've agreed plenty of times. You just don't want to admit it.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 10:42 AM
  • who's your son reddevils23?

-- Posted by bravesfan91 on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 2:51 PM
  • because i watched some notre dame jv games last year and phillips wasn't that great

-- Posted by bravesfan91 on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 2:56 PM
  • UFO,

Competes? All those state championship banners in their gym (not just basketball, but all sports) say that they do more than compete.

-- Posted by grizzfan93 on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 3:20 PM
  • nd will suprise some teams this year they will get better as the year plays out but i still take sikeston over them in districts

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 5:17 PM
  • There's just no way to know how good or bad they're to be until they actually play some games. Who does ND play tonight?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 6:08 PM
  • grizzfan93,

It's amazing ND doesn't have more State Titles competing in Class 2 for years against schools that play kids that all live within a 2 mile school district.

Amazing....

-- Posted by UFO on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 10:24 PM
  • As far as discrepancies in "program height" and actually height goes I saw Jacob Tolbert listed at 7 foot on more than one occasion... Probably a little inaccurate; just saying

-- Posted by semo501 on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 11:06 PM
  • nd lost by 15 to duchesne, a far western st loo suburb.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 9:27 AM

It was a closer game than that though, ND had the lead at end of 3rd.

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 12:30 PM
  • Very impressed by this young ND team. They won't be an easy win for anybody. They will be fine and it will be great to see them grow over the next few years. The JV team that is mostly sophomores is the best JV I've seen at ND. And that's without mentioning the 4 sophomores starting Varsity. This team will be something special the next year or two.

-- Posted by V,B on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 12:59 PM
  • nobody care if ND is anygood or not i pull for any team that they play.goodluck recruiting.

-- Posted by exoball on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 1:32 PM
  • Mshsaa allows private schools to "entice" athletes to attend from the nether regions so it is what it is, no need for us public folk to imply theyre breaking any rules. It seems to have finally evened out somewhat lately, nd bball has no dist titles in 4yrs, soccer none in 2yrs, baseball none in 2yrs. So not much to complain about lately, enjoy it!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 3:10 PM
  • I seriously doubt you ever saw Tolbert listed as 7 foot.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 5:51 PM
  • I seriously doubt I didn't see Tolbert listed at 7 foot...

-- Posted by semo501 on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 6:49 PM
  • But, with Jackson's height advantage how do you all see Monday's match up between these two going?

-- Posted by semo501 on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 6:59 PM
  • I'm so happy that basketball season started.. without recruiting i dont think ND would have came back from the big 19 deficit against jackson last night.

-- Posted by Baseball1994 on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 9:49 AM
  • Agreed, baseball. Where does the Poythress kid live?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 10:19 AM
  • HE LIVED IN NOTER DAME

-- Posted by SikestonBaller21 on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 10:20 AM
  • Poythress lives in Jackson..Brother played for Jackson a few years ago

-- Posted by crackerjack on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 10:22 AM
  • I've always thought it would be hilarious for the announcer for a team playing visiting Notre Dame to announce their players with "Starting at guard, a 5'10 junior from Jackson, MO, number 14 ....," and so on.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 10:54 AM

Why not? It's not like their hometowns are some big secret. Take another look at the school's name - REGIONAL. Of course, if ND hadn't looked respectable in their first couple games no one would be citing hometowns and crying recruitment from the mountain tops. But hey, go for it. It must be nice to have a security blanket you can latch on to when a school you can't stand finds a way to win with a team you thought was going to be severely down.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:06 AM
  • Again, i agree with captain, because mshsaa ALLOWS private schools to get kids from anywhere. Is it fair? No. But lately public schools have overcome this and done quite well against the damers. And yes, i saw nd lasnite and they have a good team, never stop hustling.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:24 AM
  • Several years back in the late 90s, I remember Kelly's announcer would say where the kids were from. For example, "No. 10 from Benton, Jimmy Smith! At guard, No. 20 from New Hamburg, John Boy! At forward, No. 33 from Blodgett, Ricky Rackman!"

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:30 AM
  • Corporal...I, for one, have stated repeatedly that ND won't be "down." I have learned from my past errors in judgement. I don't EVER count out ND!

I think the REGIONAL name IS the problem. See, it's not Sikeston REGIONAL High School....it's Sikeston High School. I don't want to beat a dead horse (as I beat a dead horse), but ND is allowed certain privileges public schools are not. ND isn't operating outside of the rules (set by MSHSAA) at all. I would take full advantage of it if I were ND (which I NEVER, EVER will be...by the way). I think other schools in the area just wish the playing field was "even." That's all...

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:32 AM
  • This is what I have been saying for YEARS. No disagreement with any of the last few posts.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:37 AM

You are not the majority, Rocket. The majority absolutely expected a weak ND team. And yes, that horse is good and dead.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:39 AM

Notre Dame will be fine this year. They may not win as many games as is normally expected from an ND team but they will win more than their fair share. I wish them luck this year (except for when they play Sikeston).

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 10:36 AM

That Sideline guy sure knows what's up.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:45 AM

By the way, the majority includes opinions not offered on this site. It's jarring to some people, I know, but there's a whole world out there beyond semoball. Go figure.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 11:48 AM

Rocket that was a heck of a statement, very well said! Never thought of it like that!

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Tue, Dec 4, 2012, at 12:26 PM
  • Hope tonight's game isn't as close as the Leopold game was...those small schools are great some years when the bigger ones are down on talent.

-- Posted by bball_hs on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 2:19 PM
  • Hilarious

-- Posted by hornetsfan on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:49 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: