[semoball.com] Login | Register
Post reply Read replies (23) More threads Create thread

State Run
Posted by head coach on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 4:18 PM:

I know its to early to be for sure how every team is going to look but what are some teams you think will make it to the championship???

Just Wondering!!!!

Replies

Oran will be a huge threat in they're class this year. Awesome guard play.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 4:40 PM

Most teams lost valuable starters so its hard to say. Scc is always a good bet since they usually have class 3 or 4 talent. Sikeston lost 3 or 4 starters and charleston a few. Definitely no way to tell til later in season.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 5:24 PM

I think the winner of Class 2 District 1 will once again be making a trip up to Columbia.

Also you can never count out whoever comes out of Class 3 District 1.

-- Posted by paulbd on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 5:25 PM

Thayer is always good out of class 2 district 2. I've also heard that Winona could be a contender in class 2, out of the same district.

-- Posted by Bullydoger on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 5:31 PM

Whoever escapes from Class 4 District 1 will be in Columbia. My early guess is that would be Sikeston but Cape, Kennett, and Notre Dame all have shots as well. There's no other class where one district seems to have the major advantage.

Class 3 District 1 (my early favorite is Charleston) will have to go through either Maplewood or Madison Prep in the quarterfinals, both of which are very good teams.

Class 2 District 1 will have a good team come out of District 2 and (early favorite) an improved Oran in the quarters.

Class 1 has a ton of contenders and Jackson and Poplar Bluff in Class 5 seem like they would have too big of hurdles to get to the Final Four in Class 5.

Thus, my thinking is that the winner of Class 4 District 1 has the easiest path to a state run once they get out of districts. However, there is a lot of parity this year especially in Class 1 and 2.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 5:37 PM

Excellent Insight, Sideline!

-- Posted by UFO on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 8:06 AM

I don't see anyone giving the Class 2 District 1 Champ much trouble before Columbia. Including Oran. Look back to last year and many even picked Oran over Hayti. Even when Hayti won down in the Bootheel, it was all on defense and grinding people down. Against Oran they scored at will, and dominated start to finish. Whoever comes out of Class 2 District 1 is always so battle tested that the nerve factor is non existent by playoff time as you have already played for your life twice in the District Tournament.

-- Posted by No sir on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 8:31 AM

Good point No Sir. Bernie beat that same Hayti team by almost 30 points last year at home with defense. Hayti lost 4 of the starters I believe but Bernie only lost 1 senior (Rodgers). They will basically field the same team. Bernie's defense this year will be very good

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 9:11 AM

Thayer gave Hayti all they wanted in the Sectional game going to 3OT's, not to take anything away from what you said No Sir.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 9:22 AM

Thayer I believe also lost 2 or 3 Good senior starters!

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 9:34 AM

That could be true as seeing I am not a fan of Thayer so I know nothing about their roster, but I was just using them as a point that teams in other districts could give the district 1 winner "trouble".

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 9:53 AM

I also want to make it clear that I am fan of schools in District 1 and for people who know me, know that I have a vested interest in District 1 and do hope the winner makes it to state. I watch every team in the district play at least 5-6 times throughout the year. I will admit that I see a lot of parity for this coming year due to strengths and weaknesses of each of the top 4-5 teams.

I will comment about Class 4 and Class 3 as well. I believe Sikeston comes out of Class 4 and think they can make it to state if they escape their very tough district. Class 3 will come down to 4 teams in my opinion, the 3 Sideline listed as Charleston, Maplewood, and Madison Prep. I would also list Mt Vernon who returns almost their entire roster that played Charleston in the semi's and almost won that game last year.

I do think that Cville could give Charleston a run during districts depending on how they play under their new coach then you have NMCC who I feel could be a darkhorse by the end of the year.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 10:05 AM

I don't believe C'ville will be able to stop Charleston, I saw C'ville play a few times this summer and I know it's just summer ball, but they did have the Monroe kid there and they just didnt look like they'd be on the same playing field, one game I saw SCC steamed rolled them. But once again that's just summer ball, so it'll be interesting to see how much they have improved.

-- Posted by Dr. D on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 10:43 AM

Oh, I wasn't saying I think Cville will win. I was just saying that they could give them a run which is exactly what I said. I also said it depends on how they play under their new coach. I don't feel summer ball means much myself except just getting the boys out their to play.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 10:47 AM

Yeah I totally agree with you about summer ball, I don't know much about this new coach. Who is he? and Where did he come from?

-- Posted by Dr. D on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 10:51 AM

Coach Smith from Puxico I believe. He is originally from Cville and got the position when Heeb went to be the AD and Coach at Senath.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 10:54 AM

Thank you sm0723, regardless they should be a fun team to watch with all the athletic ability on that team

-- Posted by Dr. D on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 10:57 AM

Yeah, I will definitely agree with you there. I also agree that Charleston is the clear favorite in that district as of now.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 10:58 AM

Yeah it'll be interesting to see who will step up late in the game and take over like Tucker did last year, that'll be there biggest hurdle is not being able to rely on Tucker to get them thru the 4th quarter, but they do return one of the best gaurds in the area, but yes they are the favorites in my mind also.

-- Posted by Dr. D on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 11:09 AM

True on Thayer. I guess I was more responding to the Oran post. I personally thought Hayti was the 3rd best team in District 1. But they hosted the tourney, and won the semis at the buzzer, and the finals in OT. And that's just how it goes. With that said, I don't see them making it out this year over Bernie/Portageville/Holcomb and even South Pem.

-- Posted by No sir on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 12:03 PM

Yeah, I knew you weren't considering Thayer in your original post and I was not meaning in anyway to talk down about your post. I feel this year that Hayti will be 5th best team in the districts, but as we saw last year that anything can happen.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Nov 16, 2012, at 12:24 PM

Charleston is loaded again this year.. They can go 10deep night in night out.. lost Tucker,Scott,Cassell,and Gray from a year ago.BUT!.With a gaurd like Ryan Parham(Best point gaurd in the aea)..Along with Sharp shooters Mike Hull and Shandor Webster(Kids a 6'5" stud)who has plenty of skill on the perimeter..He and the Jays will be tough this year I promise.. Unlike last year Charleston has size inside with Mike Coleman,Darrion Carter,and Darius Cooper.. All 6'3"or better and great low post defenders. Cooper(6'4"left handed) can score @will..Delfinko and Robert Bogan will provide great gaurd play on both ends.. Along with Trey Watkins, Sumner Foster,Mike Kellum, and Will Davis..WE could be talking about a repeat in March if these guys play up 2their potential.IMO.

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Sat, Nov 17, 2012, at 10:00 AM

Yah i think jays gonna have good chance of 2peatn! Lotsa talent, we'll get a good look at em in semo tourney, hope they take it easy on my dawgz this year!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Nov 17, 2012, at 10:21 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.