1) Charleston

2) Sikeston

3) Cape Central

4) Jackson

5) Notre Dame

6) New Madrid County Central

7) Poplar Bluff

8) Dexter

No real surprises from my point of view. Let the discussion and predictions commence.

Replies

No real surprises to me either Sideline. I did think Jackson would get the #3 seed ahead of Cape. Sadly, Dexter is the last seed again this year, but also not a surprise. The Bearcats will have one, maybe two, starters out to start the season with football related injuries, but even though they should be back by the SEMO conference tourney, Charleston should still beat us again. I'm afraid Dexter will really struggle this season.

NMCC may beat Notre Dame in the first round, but it looks like it should be another Sikeston vs. Charleston game in the finals.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 10:04 PM

I should've said NMCC may upset Cape Central. Sorry about that.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 10:05 PM

What's the date of this tourny Sideline?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 10:37 PM

The week of December 3 through December 7. I know I'll be in town for the finals. I may in town for the semi-finals as well.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 10:49 PM

I picked these correct!!!

-- Posted by Matt Foley (Agitator) on Wed, Nov 14, 2012, at 11:38 PM

Dexter already has probably the most talented player on their roster out for the season.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 8:09 AM

True, Reddirt Dog, that's why I wasn't even counting Cody Neldon in my above comments.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 9:47 AM

im looking foward to watching Nmcc & capecentral!!

-- Posted by T-Raw22 on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 10:14 AM

And with Young signing to play baseball, I'm not sure how quick he will return after his injury.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 11:11 AM

Reddirt Dog, my info says that Chase Young will be out for at least the next two weeks with the leg injury. Even when he returns, he won't be in basketball shape. So it's going to be tough for Dexter early on with their killer early schedule. We do have two guys back this year who didn't play last year, Ryan Joyner and Austin Richardson, and both should contribute quality minutes.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 11:50 AM

Actually Preach, I would almost be willing to bet Young does not come back at all.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 12:35 PM

Reddirt Dog, he told me yesterday at his signing that he was planning to play. I guess time will tell.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 1:10 PM

I hope so. This is going to be a rough year for the bearcats, and they are going to need his leadership.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 1:33 PM

Afraid you're right Reddirt Dog.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 1:38 PM

Lots of different, interesting possibilities for games that could happen this week. Cape-NMCC and Jackson-Notre Dame will both be interesting first round games. A Sikeston-Cape semi-final would be huge with all the rivalry between those two schools in the last few years. And I would love a closing night double header of Cape-Jackson followed by Sikeston-Charleston. Two of SEMO's best, longest running, and most heated rivalries in the same building back-to-back. That would be a perfect week of basketball in the early season if you ask me.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 2:33 PM

Those would be some great match-ups sideline.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 3:18 PM

Charleston-Sikeston title game friday....lots of hoopin and hollarin...bring your taser ;)

-- Posted by RedShirt on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 3:54 PM

And Quarters!! Sacajawea dollars are prefered.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 4:04 PM

Be sure to combine your fan sections together to keep up with Sikeston's numbers as well.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 4:06 PM

Thats a must haha! I remeber the giant ND/Cape/PB/Charleston one a few years back lol.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 4:22 PM

championship game - sikeston vs. Charleston

sikeston wins this one that boy ruffin is a monster with the ball and can do anything he wonts also that big man down low j jones as we all know him is a beast i say to much fire power.

3rd place- cape vs. ND- i think cape will take this just because they have some good palyers from last year returning.

5th place- jackson vs. NMCC- idk about this one its going to be a good nite for basketball and i will be there for most of it....... yeahhhh boyyyy dddddoooooogggggsssss!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by head coach on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 4:32 PM

Dang, I never knew Lil Jon was a sikeston fan. #learnsomethingeveryday.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 4:42 PM

With the large volume of Sikeston fans that have come through this website, it really shocks you that Lil Jon is one?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 4:48 PM

No, nope not really, I guess you're right. Lil Jon, Flavor Flav, 25 Cent (last quarter joke, I promise) all of the Hip Hop games crown jewels are sikeston fans. Or so I've heard threw the grape vine. He maybe even Marvin Gaye.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Nov 15, 2012, at 4:59 PM

Cape is looking more a non-factor in the SEMO tournament. New Madrid rolls over them and look out Sikeston.

-- Posted by Swish on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 12:57 PM

Sikeston wins this tourney fairly easy. Finals will be Sikeston and Charleston with Sikeston winning by 12-15 pts

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 1:08 PM

"My picks are NMCC,ND,Sikeston. The only blowout I see if Sikeston over Charleston. I just think Charleston needs more guys to step up other than Tucker. I say Sikeston 78-57"

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Dec 9, 2011, at 9:49 AM

At least you're consistent, Cheese!! lol

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 2:12 PM

Cheese, by reading some of your posts I am beginning to think that you are a few toys short of a Happy Meal. IF you think that Sikeston beats Charleston by 12-20 points, you ought to be wearing a dunce cap on your head---unless you are joking. No way it's gonna be that big a point spread either way, although if somebody were to be on the lopsided end I would pick Sikeston. I have no dog in this hunt but have been around basketball a long while........C'ton by 4 over Sikeston IF both teams get there. Always a possibility of an upset before then.

-- Posted by Hemingway on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 2:32 PM

Which McDonald's is giving you more than one toy in a Happy Meal? My daughter would love that!

-- Posted by yah-yah on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 2:37 PM

Hemingway- It's my prediction and I stand by it. If I'm wrong, I'll be the one to look foolish not you. I'm not always right when it comes to predictions, but no one is.

And Birdfan, I was wrong about last years Charleston team. They had a few guys step up and help Tucker. I'll admit that. I just don't see it from this years team. Charleston's starting 5 are very good, it's what comes off the bench that is concerning for me. Everytime they subbed in against NLR, NLR would go on a run until Farmer put the starters back in. I see that being a problem against a deep team like Sikeston. Like I said, I may be way off, but it's me who will look foolish. I never blasted any Charleston fans who tought they actually had a chance against Cville in football bc they would have to answer for it.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 2:50 PM

Sikeston is really no deeper than Charleston. Both return about the same number of players with both having had very good jayvee teams a year ago. Charleston's jayvee beat Sikeston, last year, and the varsity beat Sikeston twice.

Now, does that mean Charleston will be the winner? Absolutely not. But, it's always fun to jerk on your chain a little....all in fun!!

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 3:05 PM

I seen Charleston play so I know what they can do. I haven't seen Sikeston and I won't be there tonight I just hope they know that TEAM ball is the way to win. I'm sure they do

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 4:56 PM

Cheese, I thank Charleston will beat Sikeston by 8 to 10 points in the semo tourney.

-- Posted by jayrod on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 7:46 PM

Sikeston won't beat Charleston..It's very hard to beat Charleston even harder to blow a Charleston team out.(C'Mon Cheese you Know better).. NLR couldn't do it and they are a 7A team with 3 D1 prospects..Sikeston's 2011team is long gone..Sikeston is deep, but how many will play well against that C'town D?.We Shall see..J.T. and Vashawn will have 2play lights out and have plenty of help from their unproven bench..Vashawn is a natural 2gaurd can't wait to see how he has made the transition to the point..Very hard transition..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 8:41 PM

See that's why they need to lose, fans getting cocky! : )

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 8:57 PM

Sikeston looked impressive against Blytheville tonight 79-34

-- Posted by lastride67 on Tue, Nov 27, 2012, at 9:29 PM

TFA..Who's they?

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 10:01 AM

Charleston! Lol! I said it under your comment. Notice the smiley face I was joking before anyone wants to kill me.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 11:48 AM

Lol..No hard feelings man..Im used to it..Just wanted to thank you for the compliment buddy..#Kiss The RingSS..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Wed, Nov 28, 2012, at 10:03 PM

WE ARE SO MUCH BETTER THEN CHARLESTON FORREAL. WE DESERVE NUMBER 1 SEED. WE GONNA WHOOP CHARLESTON

-- Posted by SikestonBaller21 on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 9:37 AM

NMCC is going to beat cape look for the upset!!

-- Posted by T-Raw22 on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 10:38 AM

NMCC is going to beat cape look for the upset!!

-- Posted by T-Raw22 on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 10:38 AM

Ive seen both and NMCC is better.

-- Posted by SikestonBaller21 on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 10:40 AM

Must be a lot of students posting on here.

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 2:02 PM

Birdfan, I believe trolling is the correct word. That isn't an actual Sikeston fan.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 2:05 PM

sideline, did you see my message about Ole Miss?

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 2:11 PM

No, I missed it.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 2:13 PM

just a personal note...my son graduated from Ole Miss; he was there when Eli was the qb...his fraternity brother is Justin Wade and when Justin and Eli were roommates, my son got to know Eli fairly well....he is also very good friends with "Big Todd" Wade

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 2:16 PM

Oh. That's pretty awesome. I think I may have an idea who you are now but to be sure, where is your son at right now?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 2:20 PM

lol....he's in West Virginia, right now....once his projects are complete, he moves on to another

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 2:21 PM

I don't think SHS will win I had my bet on them last year an things went CHS way twice.It will be a battle an I'f CHS goes up an plays the stall game SHS will be running from corner to corner for nothing.Should be a good one. I think CHS playing the good teams at the Riverbend helps them tremedously while SHS starts out with the tune up games of a down program of Blytheville an Dexter. Best a luck to all that play. Vashawn will do well I still say he is a shooter from guard spot although I know he has put in the work of point. He can create a shot so it should be interesting like my friend TFA said Team ball wins.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 6:04 PM

This has been discussed before, but how many times in the short history of the SEMO conference have Sikeston and Charleston met in the finals. I'm pretty sure one of the 2.has won it each year. My prediction - Charleston and New Madrid final.

-- Posted by Swish on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 8:48 PM

I don't have scores but I do know the results of each SEMO Conference Tournament final.

2006-Charleston over Sikeston

2007-Charleston over Jackson

2008-Sikeston over New Madrid

2009-Sikeston over Poplar Bluff

2010-Sikeston over Cape Central

2011-Charleston over Sikeston

So yeah, nobody wins this thing besides Sikeston and Charleston. Interestingly, the only two teams not to make the finals are Dexter and Notre Dame, the second being a bit surprising.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 8:52 PM

With three starters out, Neldon and Paige for the season with knee injuries and Young with a broken leg, Dexter will be one and done again in the SEMO Conference Tourney, I'm afraid. On top of that, a key bench player will likely be out again recovering from a concussion.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 9:23 PM

Yeah, Preach, I watched the Charleston-Dexter replay and Dexter looks thin this year to say the least.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 9:24 PM

well, sideline....did you figure it out? If you haven't, just ask yah-yah who I am...he knows.

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 9:31 PM

Hegotrings TFA is a LADY not a man. :-) I'm sure she would have told u when she got on again

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 9:37 PM

I'll ask Yah-Yah to be sure.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 9:40 PM

Is there a link to a bracket for SEMO conference. Not the seeds but game times and dates?

-- Posted by Swish on Thu, Nov 29, 2012, at 9:56 PM

STLfan38..She didn't have a picture.lol.Didn't know.Sorry TFA.#Kneel and Kiss the RingSS..The both of you..See you all next week..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 5:34 PM

What time do the games start on Monday?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 6:48 PM

I let it go I figured the way I talk on here he would figure it out I don't think u guys put smiley faces on here but you might. Lol

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 9:00 PM

Wait I seen a smiley face from my friend!! : )

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 9:02 PM

Bernie and Holcomb tied at 41 end of the 3rd qtr.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 9:57 PM

Oops. Sorry, posted that last comment on the wrong thread!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Nov 30, 2012, at 10:04 PM

Yes it should be another good one Gotrings idk bout kneeling and kissing your rings. I got a few of my own lol from Jareds.. LOL

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 8:24 AM

Yep I'm not going to kneel and kiss any rings either.

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 8:28 AM

If Charleston can come out and play inspired Bluejay basketball just like they did against Covington,TN & North Little Rock,AR,then the Jays should cruise to victory.

CHARLESTON-81

SIKESTON-58

Some are probably thinking...Charleston by that amount??? No way!!!! The last time Charleston beat Sikeston by that much or more was in 1989, the 33-0 season when Charleston won............

CHARLESTON-83

SIKESTON-27

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 11:26 AM

I also miss when it was called THE SIKESTON INVITATIONAL.If it where the SIT this year, here's my teams.

1)CHARLESTON

2)SIKESTON

3)PADUCACH TILMAN,KY

4)MARSHALL CO., KY

5)NOTRE DAME

6)NMCC

7)POPLAR BLUFF

8)SAXONY LUTHERAN

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 11:31 AM

Cape fans. How has your season started? I have not heard anything about you guys so far.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 4:08 PM

Actually it was 75-25 in the sikeston invitational in 89-90. Sikeston closed the gap and "only" lost by 20 in January later that same season. Ctown is just lucky they didn't play again because sikeston may have shaved another 30 points off that score! Bye bye undefeated season!

Ok I'm joking of course. Sikeston was terrible. Coach Johnson came in the next season and completely changed the culture at sikeston. They defeated charleston 65-62 at charleston and led the dogs and the "killer bees" to the state quarterfinals in his first year. To me that was the beginning of sikeston hoops. Because I distinctly remember he hate me said we can choose which years we want to count.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Dec 1, 2012, at 5:32 PM

We're in for a good tourney..The team who wants it the most will win.I won't count anyone out..TFA,STLfan38 I wish yalls team the best of luck unless they play my Bluejays..LOL..#Kiss the RingSS.. 11xs!

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Sun, Dec 2, 2012, at 1:59 PM

Thanks. Ummm yep that's all I have to say.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Dec 2, 2012, at 2:25 PM

Charleston-sikeston championship game and I say Charleston takes it by about 12. Only be because of the intentional fouls leading to free-throws.

-- Posted by basketballfan33 on Sun, Dec 2, 2012, at 2:49 PM

Is there a bracket out there for tourney? If not, what times will the semi finals and finals be played on thurs and fri? Thanks in advance!

-- Posted by gerardo on Sun, Dec 2, 2012, at 8:03 PM

There was a copy of the bracket today in the Standard Democrat. Semi finals will be on Thursday at 7pm and 8:30pm. Finals will be Friday at 8:30pm

-- Posted by trainhard on Sun, Dec 2, 2012, at 8:22 PM

I'm interested! Team play!!! Let's go blue jays!!!!!!

-- Posted by silentplayer on Sun, Dec 2, 2012, at 8:27 PM

Cool! Thanks again train

-- Posted by gerardo on Sun, Dec 2, 2012, at 8:35 PM

PB may give them all they want so dont count them out.mules are better than people give them credit for.

-- Posted by exoball on Sun, Dec 2, 2012, at 9:37 PM

PB may give them all they want so dont count them out.mules are better than people give them credit for.

-- Posted by exoball on Sun, Dec 2, 2012, at 9:41 PM

The Dexter Boys team is not the basketball team to watch this year if you are a Dexter fan. I'm usually not a fan of women's basketball but I make the exception for the Lady Bearcats. They are a really good team.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Mon, Dec 3, 2012, at 12:42 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.