[semoball.com] Login | Register
Post reply Read replies (26) More threads Create thread

Class 2 District 1
Posted by Bullydoger on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 8:39 PM:

Is it just me or does the winner of this district look to have a cakewalk to Columbia?

Replies

Couldn't agree more. But, toughest district in the state and it's not even close. Five serious contenders that all bring something different.

Bernie with their great shooters and depth but rebounding is ?

Portageville with their athleticism and quickness but lack shooters

Holcomb with their size in post and across the 1-3-1 but unproven guard play

Hayti is defending champ and will still be big and athletic, but probably will struggle scoring.

South Pemiscot will be VASTLY improved as well with a mix of shooters and athleticism.

-- Posted by No sir on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 8:38 PM

Yeah, the 4 vs 5 game as well as the semi-finals and finals will be top notch and amongst the best competition in the state. It's the same in Class 4 District 1. Both districts are the best in their class. SEMO basketball is going to be a lot of fun this year.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 8:41 PM

Anyone know where that district is held this year?

-- Posted by No sir on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 8:47 PM

Does anyone know who is likely to come out of districts 2, 3, and 4 in class 2? Can any of them give district 1 a run?

-- Posted by Bullydoger on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 9:53 PM

Here are the Class 2 teams in each of the four districts.

Class 2 District 1

Bernie, Bloomfield, Campbell, Cooter, Hayti, Holcomb, Portageville, Senath-Hornersville, South Pemiscot

Class 2 District 2

Couch, East Carter, Greenville, Neelyville, Puxico, Thayer, Van Buren, Winona

Class 2 District 3

Advance, Bismarck, Chaffee, Meadow Heights, Oran, Southern, Valley, Vinburnum

Class 2 District 4

Barat Academy, Crossroads, Crystal City, Elsberry, Kingston, New Haven, St. Vincent, Valle Catholic

In District 2, I think Thayer has something coming back. They are traditionally pretty decent. However, I am not an expert on that district. In District 3, I think Oran has most of their team coming back from their quarterfinal run. Larry Doby would be able to give a better rundown. And in District 4, New Haven is normally a competitive team, Crossroads won that district last year I think, and Crystal City is coming off a quarterfinal run in Class 3 although they lost their best player who was a lot of that team in Eli Sample. I would think that the winner of District 1 would be my heavy early favorite to go to the Final Four as I think the state champ could come from that district. I don't see a team from one of the other districts being a major state contender.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 9:59 PM

In District 2, Thayer and Winona should be decent again. In District 3, Oran will be the favorite although Advance will be very good as well with Luke Below leading the Hornets. I don't see any team in District 4 being a real threat.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 11:03 PM

I knew Oran returned most players. I just watched them play against Hayti last year and it was extremely ugly. And Hayti only made it out of their district by virtue of a buzzer beater over P'Ville in the semis of districts, and an OT win over Holcomb that included a couple banks from way downtown. With that in mind it's hard to see them beating the Dist. 1 Champ. I heard they were very young though so they will probably have improved, I only saw them against Hayti last season is why I didn't mention them.

-- Posted by No sir on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 11:10 PM

Oran returns their three best players from last year in Kody Moore, Alex Heuring, and Seth Ressel. They lost 3 players to graduation. They also move up a JV team that went undefeated. We'll see in the near future if that has any significance. Right now, they should be a decent team but they have a lot of work to do to compete with whoever will be the district 1 champ.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 8:59 PM

Bernie is not in class 2 district 1 anymore

-- Posted by Semopost13 on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 9:15 PM

Bernie is not in class 2 district 1 anymore

-- Posted by Semopost13 on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 9:15 PM

Yes, they are.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 9:17 PM

No there not they swapped with Bloomfield

-- Posted by Semopost13 on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 9:53 PM

They are both in that district. Let me link you to proof I am right.

http://www.mshsaa.org/Activities/ClassAn...

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 9:58 PM

Ok I got some wrong info lol my fault

-- Posted by Semopost13 on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 10:01 PM

It would make more geographic sense for them and Bloomfield to be in District 2, but MSHSAA rarely operates on what makes sense.

-- Posted by Rocky09 on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 11:20 PM

Ehh...geographically, Bloomfield is close to schools in District 1, 2, and 3. However, Bernie is much closer to the District 1 schools. They are doing just fine in that district. Why would they need to be moved?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Oct 9, 2012, at 11:33 PM

There are teams in District 2 and District 3 that are in Bernie's conference, while District 1 didn't have any such teams until MSHSAA decided to move Bloomfield in this year (which also made little sense). Also, District 1 has been so strong for so long I would think it would help the balance of power instead of having the 4 seed of District 1 make the Final Four like last year. Just my two cents.

-- Posted by Rocky09 on Wed, Oct 10, 2012, at 7:45 PM

Any word on where the district tournament is going to be held at this year?

-- Posted by paulbd on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 11:23 AM

Bloomfield

-- Posted by Rocky09 on Wed, Oct 17, 2012, at 11:02 PM

Hey Preacher Man, you mentioned Thayer and Winona. I know Thayer took Hayti to three over times last year, and have won several districts. What do they have coming back this year? Also, do you know anything about Winona?

-- Posted by Bullydoger on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 8:47 AM

Bullydoger, I don't know anything specifically about either team, but both are traditionally strong programs. I expect no less this season. If memory serves, Winona did beat Thayer once last season and both played South Iron tough. In fact, didn't Thayer knock off South Iron last year to win their district?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 9:17 AM

I may be wrong but i believe Thayer lost 3 pretty good starting seniors.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 9:21 AM

Interesting that it's going to be played in Bloomfield. Since the top half of the district plays in the Christmas tournament over there it should be interesting.

-- Posted by paulbd on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 12:00 PM

Preach, South Iron is Class 1.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 12:15 PM

Yep, you're right Sideline. Got my wires crossed.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Oct 18, 2012, at 7:36 PM

Bloomfield is hosting the Class 2 District 1 tournament in both 2013 and 2014.

-- Posted by gianthook on Fri, Oct 19, 2012, at 2:39 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.