[semoball.com] Login | Register
Post reply Read replies (11) More threads Create thread

Question about a new rule
Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 1:14 PM:

This happened during the Sikeston-PB game Friday night...Sikeston was on offense and ran a running play to their left. One of the offensive lineman's helmet came off. The lineman was not near the ball at all. The officials stopped the play and gave Sikeston the ball where the carrier was when the play was called dead and took the down. Is that the new rule? I thought the play would finish and the player whose helmet came off would have to leave for a play. I asked my brother, who is an official in a different state about it. He said it was an inadvertent whistle, unless there is a MSHSAA rule for this type of incident. He said the NFHS' rule on the helmet coming off doesn't say to stop the play.

Sikeston wouldn't have scored a TD on that play, but they did lose some yardage. What's the correct call?

Also....didn't realize you couldn't advance a muffed punt in high school. One of the Sikeston kids, during the PB game....at full speed...picks up a muffed punt and takes it to the house. It was called back, but Sikeston got the ball. The most amazing thing on that play was that he could pick up the ball at full speed.

Replies

By what I've heard, it is a new rule. Helmet comes off and the play stops right then and there. I'm starting to not like these new helmet rules. I understand why they have them, but say some kid busts through the line for a 70 yard touchdown but some lineman's helmet comes off as he is 30 yards from the end zone. So the ball is dead at the 30 and a sure-fire TD comes off the board. And you could say, well they need to strap their helmets up better. But in the Bluff game, it was a Bluff defender's helmet that came off if I'm not mistaken, so the defense in essence could screw the offense. I highly doubt some high school kid would intentionally do this but a kid that doesn't strap his helmet on properly could have an impact on the game.

The rule where you can't advance a muffed punt has been in effect for years. Never really understood why on that either. Probably trying to protect the return man or something.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 1:31 PM

It must be a rule specific to Missouri. I asked rocketsbro about it. If you can beleive it, he refs football in Mississippi and Arkansas....wow! LOL! He said in his area, they just make the kid go out, not stop the play.

Agreed about the potential TD run.....it seems a little "over the top" to me (the rule that is), but no one asked me.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 3:14 PM

I also didn't realize that you can't return a kickoff if you recieve it in the endzone. Probably been a rule for years but never noticed until Friday at Cape/Jackson game. Cape could have had a very nice return but whistle was blown because he recieved in the endzone. Guess not a lot of high school kickers can reach the endzone or I just haven't been paying attention.

-- Posted by bulletman on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 3:18 PM

Two rules mentioned earlier have been in effect for 20 plus yrs. You can recover but not advance a muffed punt and you cannot advance the ball out of the end zone on a kickoff or punt.

-- Posted by semo ref on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 3:34 PM

What about the helmet rule, ref? Does the play get blown dead?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 3:35 PM

semo ref,

muffed punt rule for 20+ years? they must have had a year that they didn't call it. Because I know for a fact, I returned one for a TD within the last 20 years. It was not called back.

also, the helmet rule is crap. i understand player safety, but you COULD have a defensive player take his helmet off as a player is about to score. Ex. During a playoff game, you could have the game within 6 points under a minute to play. The losing team could break away and have a clear path to the endzone. This would put the losing team up, and probably win. However, you have a defensive player take his helmet off so the offense doesn't score. Is this right? It's not good sportsmanship, but it is the playoffs. I can GUARENTEE this has gone through other coach's minds.

-- Posted by dog2167 on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 3:48 PM

Dogs, you may have advanced a muffed punt that was ruled a fumble instead. If a punt returner drops the ball without gaining possession if you recover it you gain possession but cannot advance it. If it ir ruled to have been caught then fumbled in the judgment of the official then you can advance it.

-- Posted by semo ref on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 4:20 PM

This is all I cab find on the Mshsaa website so far.

SITUATION 1 (3.5.10): Team A has the ball 1st and 10 at A's 20-yard line. A31 is carrying the ball when B33 lowers his head and strikes A31 helmet to helmet trying to make the tackle. The contact makes the helmets for both A31 and B33 come completely off with A31 in possession of the ball at A's 26-yard line. RULING: The ball is dead immediately due to the helmet coming off the runner. B33 is penalized 15 yards for illegal helmet contact making it 1st and 10 at A's 41-yard line. A31 may remain in the game due to the opponent foul. B33 must leave the game for one play as A31 did not foul and B33's helmet came off during the down.

(3-5-10d; 4-2-2k; 9-4-3i)

2012 NFHS Football

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 4:43 PM

If MSHSAA goes by NFHS, then the helmet coming off the lineman shouldn't affect the play since he wasn't near the ball. At least that's how I take it. Semo ref?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 4:51 PM

In the judgement of the official if the helmet comes off and the player is not in danger(example behind the play on a long run and no one close) they probably wouldn't blow the play dead. But judgement calls can be tricky!Ha.

-- Posted by semo ref on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 7:32 PM

To to sideline & read instruction manual on how to secure chin straps

-- Posted by sawdust49 on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 6:29 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.