[semoball.com] Login | Register
Post reply Read replies (238) More threads Create thread

Basketball Districts Are Released
Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 11:46 AM:

Somebody start playing a little "Oh Happy Day" because we finally can get a little basketball discussion going on the boards. Basketball districts for the next two seasons have been released. Here are all the ones containing SEMO teams:

Class 1 District 1

Clarkton, Delta (Deering), Gideon, Koshkonong, Naylor, North Pemiscot, Risco, Southland

Class 1 District 2

Bell City, Delta, Leopold,McKinley Classical Leadership, Oak Ridge, Richland, Scott County Central, The Fulton School at St. Albans

Class 1 District 3

Bunker, Eminence, Lesterville, Marquand, South Iron, Summersville, Zalma

Class 2 District 1

Bernie, Bloomfield, Campbell, Cooter, Hayti, Holcomb, Portageville, Senath-Hornersville, South Pemiscot

Class 2 District 2

Couch, East Carter, Greenville, Neelyville, Puxico, Thayer, Van Buren, Winona

Class 2 District 3

Advance, Bismarck, Chaffee, Meadow Heights, Oran, Southern, Valley, Vinburnum

Class 2 District 4

Barat Academy, Crossroads, Crystal City, Elsberry, Kingston, New Haven, St. Vincent, Valle Catholic

Class 3 District 1

Caruthersville, Charleston, Doniphan, East Prairie, Kelly, Malden, New Madrid, Twin Rivers

Class 3 District 2

Arcadia Valley, Clearwater, Jefferson, Saxony Lutheran, Scott City, St. Pius X, West County, Woodland

Class 3 District 3

Carnahan, Cleveland NJROTC, Madison Prep (formerly Imagine Prep), Construction Careers Charter, Grandview (Hillsboro), Hancock, Herculaneum, Lift for Life

Class 4 District 1

Cape Central, Dexter, Kennett, Notre Dame, Perryville, Sikeston

Class 5 District 1

Fox, Jackson, Oakville, Poplar Bluff, Seckman

Here are a few thoughts that immediately came to mind for me: Class 4 District 1 looks like it is the best district in terms of talent in Class 4 between the top four teams in it (Sikeston, Cape, Kennett, and Notre Dame). With the former Imagine Prep being in Class 3 now, I have Sikeston as my favorite to win it all in Class 4. Also, a Charleston or Caruthersville versus Madison Prep in the quarters would be a game I would pay to go see even though I don't have a rooting interest in either team. What do you all think of the new districts? And what are some of your early basketball predictions and discussions?

Link to all districts: http://mosports.rivals.com/forum.asp?mid...

Replies

Apparently a couple got deleted on me before I hit submit.

Class 4 District 2

Farmington, Fredericktown, North County, Park Hills Central, Potosi, Ste. Genevieve

Class 4 District 3

Affton, Desoto, Festus, Hillsboro, Lutheran South, Windsor

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 11:49 AM

Cape is class 4 now??? Looks like Jackson should be the winner of Class 5 district 1 now for as many years as Cape is in Class 4. And I don't know if I would say that Sikeston should go all the way now with Imagine Prep not being there...Cape is in Sikestons district now...

-- Posted by CTalum5 on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 11:52 AM

I think Sikeston will be better than Cape this year. Sikeston is deeper than last year and returns three of their top four or five scorers as well as another few guys who saw time last year and a lot of kids who have made the jump over the summer to being varsity contributors. Cape has back Cox, Booker, and what else? Sikeston does not do well playing at Cape. I don't know why but they just don't. However, they won't have to go to Cape this year so that isn't a concern.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 11:58 AM

sikeston will win it all....

-- Posted by RedShirt on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 12:16 PM

Really how many times has Cape won the district in the last 10 years?

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 12:56 PM

I don't want to get the cart before the horse, but I like Sikeston's chances if they get out of districts. Of course, I am ALWAYS biased towards my Dogs!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 1:15 PM

The former Imagine Prep (now known as Madison Prep) will have to get through Maplewood in a sectional game. Also, Imagine got their two best players back to re-enroll, but a couple of their big post players went to Soldan I believe. One of them was a big difference in the Sikeston game last year. Those are two big losses that were unexpected for them. Having said that, they will still be a handful. Charleston's road also just got a lot tougher in their quarterfinal round, but not as tough as the Maplewood and Imagine road as they would have to face each other and then play Charleston. And with Kennett moving up to Class 4, I don't see anybody beating Charleston. Maybe Cville.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 1:16 PM

I forgot about Maplewood semohoops. That is a loaded quarter of the bracket with Charleston, Maplewood, and Madison Prep. Charleston is one of the big winners in the re-shuffling on the district level losing Kennett but one of the losers on the quarter of the bracket level gaining state contenders. Sikeston is in the opposite situation. They lost out on the district level gaining two instant district contenders in Kennett and Cape while losing also-rans Fredericktown and Ste. Gen but Sikeston is a winner if they get past districts because of the fact that there don't seem to be a lot of formidable opponents in Districts 2, 3, and 4.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 1:22 PM

Class 4 District 2 is looking pretty sad too. DeSoto got moved over to District 3. Farmington just got very happy. I'm not sure who can challenge them at all. North County or Park Hills maybe? Very, very weak district.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 1:30 PM

CTalum5, I had the same reaction! "Cape is Class 4 now???" LOL. Looks like Dexter's tough season in basketball just got tougher.

Also, I thought that SCC just got some competition in their district with Leopold being moved in there.

Sideline, I agree with you that Class 4, District 1 looks to be the most competitive, but Cape, Kennett, and ND will both give the Bulldogs a run for their money. I do agree that Sikeston should be the favorite to win that district again, but throwing Cape and Kennett into the mix does make it more interesting.

As far as competetiveness goes, Class 2, District 1 is also going to be a free-for-all again with Bernie, Hayti, Holcomb, and Portageville all back. It will be interesting to see if Coach David Heeb can make Senath-Hornersville more competetive in his first season. I think Bernie is the pre-season favorite to win that district.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 1:35 PM

What does Fredericktown have back from last year? They got a little momentum going during districts. Maybe they are the team to compete. It is sad though when any team from District 2 would probably be the fifth seed at best in District 1.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 1:36 PM

BIGELW.... The past years were rebuilding years for Cape. Coach church has had to rebuild Cape Basketball from the ground up. Centrals program is finally starting to re-emerge and make a name for themselves. They have won the district the last two years, and also came close to beating McCluer North and BJ Young two years ago. I'm not saying Cape is going to beat Sikeston to win districts every year, all I'm saying is that Sikestons district just got a lot tougher. And to sideline starter I agree, I dont know if Cape will be able to beat Sikeston this year. They dont really have the guard play. I had the chance to play and work with Jamal Cox this summer and he has really improved and should be one of the top bigs in the Area. Cape has a couple of great younger teams so should be fun to watch these next years. Cape never plays well in Sikeston and Sikeston never plays well in Cape. But Class 4 district 1 should be a fun one to watch these next couple of years.

-- Posted by CTalum5 on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 1:42 PM

Heeb will have Senath competing very soon. For one thing, Senath has a very good and talented freshman class. You gotta have some players first and foremost. But Heeb also knows how to coach 'em up.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 1:42 PM

Agreed on Leopold, Preach. I really think this could be the year they finally get through though SCC is the favorite obviously. In Class 2, Bernie could breakout and be very good this year. A lot of their kids last year were underclassmen that got a lot of varsity experience and the ones that didn't were on a JV team who only lost one game which was to Sikeston. Charleston is the obvious favorite in Class 3 with Caruthersville being the only obvious competition. Maybe Doniphan will be too. We'll see. When I say Sikeston is the early favorite in Class 4, I mean it. That does not in any way mean that they are going to steamroll all the competition or anything but looking at what other teams who made the quarters or so have back, I really like what the Bulldogs have. I think Sikeston, Cape, and Kennett all have the potential to be state ranked in Class 4. I think District 1 is the best Class 4 district in the state and that Sikeston is the cream of that crop. In Class 5, Jackson is the only team that that is real competitive in that district though Bluff has a new coach I think so that will be an interesting storyline to watch.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 1:43 PM

Well said CTalum5

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 1:44 PM

Fredericktown lost their 6-8 post. They do return the 6-6 kid and a couple good guards and I think their coach does a really good job. They pushed Notre Dame to the wire in districts last year. I guess its conceivable they could emerge from District 2 but I wouldn't think so. I think losing "big country" will be too much of a loss.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 1:46 PM

I know 2 senior players from Cape moved to New Madrid and will be playing for them this year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 2:00 PM

I thought Bryant Reeves retired from the NBA. Who knew? LOL!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 2:04 PM

What two players are those, Buck?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 3:59 PM

Here is how I see it. Sikeston and Charleston are the favorite's in they're district until someone from they're district beats them.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 3:59 PM

I would agree with that, Cheese. However, I would just like to see what the other teams have. I think whoever wins District 1 in Class 4 has a VERY GOOD chance at advancing to Columbia. Again....I'm not going to say that it is a foregone conclusion, but I like Sikeston's chances. Assuming we are healthy heading into districts....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 4:10 PM

Rocket, I do not know the names. One is pretty tall, could be the tallest on the team now. The other one is average height. I can maybe find out the names tonight.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 4:12 PM

I cant wait for Basketball. Go Bernie Mules!

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 4:25 PM

I love basketball just as much as I do football. This time of year is my favorite!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 4:28 PM

Thanks, Buck. I was just curious.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 4:43 PM

I think Football just started to take a back seat...lol

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 7:52 PM

Should be a fun season. No road will be easy this season.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 10:42 AM

Yes it has, Chuck. I am READY!

Good luck this year, CHS2MRH. Class 3 looks to be tough.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 11:02 AM

Will cape be a candidate to host districts? I hope not, my reddawgz dont ever play well there :((

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 11:06 AM

Tell me about it, cirithungol17!! I believe districts are at Dexter this year....not 100% sure about that though. I HOPE it's not at Cape next year. We just don't shoot well in that place. I guess it's the orange or something! Ha! Someone on Sikeston's coaching staff told me that the rims are tight. I know both teams shoot on the same rims, but if you aren't used to it then it could have an affect on the game. That sounds good anyway.... LOL!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 11:12 AM

Before any Cape fans jump on me.....Cape has some to do with the Dogs not shooting well in that place too. They have played us well the past 2 times we have been up there.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 11:12 AM

Well this is going to get interesting.

Delontre Haney is one player who moved to NMCC. He's 6'3"-6'4" and can jump out of the gym. I don't know who the other player is.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 12:01 PM

Yeah that's him, all I knew was Tre, so I didn't want to speculate on a last name. I believe the other one is related to him, cousin maybe.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 12:25 PM

Thanks rock

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 1:25 PM

Districts should (always) be in Sikeston....best facility around!!!

-- Posted by RedShirt on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 1:39 PM

I love the Field House. No doubt an awesome place for a big game and great location. But Dexter takes the cake as best facility for a high school game. Jackson's is too, but it is TOO big in my opinion. Still a fantastic facility.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 1:57 PM

i thinks zelma has a good fackility myselve. maybe avance also.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 2:18 PM

The Field House is as good as it gets regarding big games and AWESOME atmosphere! The Dogs have played some GREAT games in there. I have to agree with hoops...Dexter (Sikeston West) has a great facility. Sikeston has fared pretty well there in the recent past. Of course, the gym has only been open for 5 years or less.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 3:49 PM

Preach,

Another team to throw in that mix in Class 2 District 1 is South Pemiscot. They have a really good coach now and came a long way last year. Also bringing up some nice looking players from JV. I'd honestly consider them equal if not better than Hayti as far as pre-season picks go, with a little seperation between them and the other three you noted at the top.

-- Posted by Rocky09 on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 11:01 PM

Sorry guys but I know Jackson has the best gym around! Too big? That doesn't make sense, the bigger the better! Sikeston use to have the best gym but too many times people would have to miss the game because of limited seating... For instance when sik & ctown play, it's a full house by halftime of jv game and if you got off work at 5, you're not goin to see the game... I'll take Jackson gym over even dexter gym.. 2ndly sikeston he been favored in class 4 the last 3yrs, hasn't panned out... I think they have a tougher road than most think... Class 3 I'd love to see mrh vs ctown part 3... I know mrh has a great team this yr returning but ctown has some size & experience returning too...parham, hull, carter who started late in the season add Watkins, del bogan, rob bogan, foster & with the return of 6'5 Webster & 6'5 point forward at times D.T. Cooper ctown will defend their title IMO... We're 9deep with championship experience with size... Should be a fun yr around here for c'town... If u have shaky guards handling the ball, you're in trouble facing ctown... Parham is good as it gets at playing d & running the show, he will score a lil more this yr, but he will be able to rest this yr during games because his sophomore back up is also good... Del bogan future all state pg mark my word.. This kid will the next great bluejay pg...bring on all comers!!!

-- Posted by He hate me on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 9:20 AM

Imagine semo conf at Jackson... It would rival Mahon me center... Plus all teams that participate will be able to have their fans there & not have to wait till another team leaves to have seats... We'll never know how it would work if we're stuck playing at field house every yr! Btw for those of u that's not a believer ctown jv lost one game last yr i think, maybe they went undefeated... So we're not goin anywhere anytime soon!! Big G!!!! I have to admit the field house has offered a hell of a memories over the last decade in terms of raucous crowds!!

-- Posted by He hate me on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 9:30 AM

He Hate Me,CHS vs MRH part 3 could happen. I like my chances against my old alma mater. 2-0 vs CHS.lol. Just kidding. Eight Seniors returning from a heart breaking loss last season in district. We will be one of the biggest athletic teams around. They will be battle tested with a brutal schedule. Games against Soldan, Lee Alabama, Sikeston, Hazelwood Central, Memphis Southwind (2 top 50 Players), Webster Groves Tourn,Polpar Bluff Tourn, Chicago Foreman, Chaminade, McCluer and Duschesne will prepare them for a playoff run. In a perfect world I would love for my son to get the opportunity to play against his hometown, family and my alma mater. If both teams take care of business it will be epic.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 10:25 AM

chls2mrh, just whot is Polpar Bluff Bucko??? just whos tought you how to spell the city were tyler hansblow wento to school? i do thinks you maplewood team is gunna be good though Bucko.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 10:37 AM

Traditionally charleston plays arguably semo toughest regular season schedule, last yr we played a total if 6games in 8days & came out clean... I'm sure it'll get tougher this yr but I think the kids are up for it... The riverbed is always tough & superman classic is always tough not to mention semo conf tournament & semo conf period.... Add penny hardaway classi in jan after finishing the Xmas tourney should be headed for a match up in late feb or early march... Chs2mrh u have pretty brutal schedule as always, one of the things you picked up from MAC play anybody anywhere... Playing tough schedule makes ur team more prepared & battle tested when it counts in march... Not worrying about having a loss or two or three ... But understanding its a purpose behind it! Should be a fun match up if it happens... I'm taking ctown in a thriller... And why should we have to have this match up in playoffs, this should be a scheduled game..no way they shouldn't play one another in regular season like a home & home, it would be good for both programs... I know u have tried time & time again to get ctown on ur schedule but for some reason hasn't happened, farmer pick mrh on our schedule... No brainier!!!

-- Posted by He hate me on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 10:58 AM

I like Dexter's place more than Jackson's. It may not hold as many people but I hate the split level thing at Jackson with the track. You can't see well at all if you are stuck up in those top bleachers. Also, it just has a weird general setup to me.

Hate, being the favorite in Class 4 didn't pan out two years ago when Sikeston went unbeaten? I guess I missed that. Yeah, we lost last year by one in the quarters against a really athletic team. Can't win every game every year but Sikeston is going to be around ten deep as well. I could see both Sikeston and Charleston making deep runs. Sikeston's road to the Final Four is tougher in the district round while Charleston's is tougher in the sectional and quarterfinal round.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 11:16 AM

I'm not sure I would call Sikeston the favorite any of the last three years. In 2010 Sikeston played an undefeated, nationally ranked Borgia team in the quarterfinals. Who had Sikeston favored in that game? In 2011, all I heard all year is how Borgia, Soldan and Hillcrest were on a different level and Sikeston won't be able to beat those teams. So obviously a lot of people didn't even think Sikeston would win state even that year. And then last year, Soldan was the huge favorite to win state after returning the entire lineup from the previous year. So no, I wouldn't say Sikeston was ever favored. Heck, in 2010, a lot of people thought Sikeston would fall off the map after Michael Porter graduated. Proved them wrong that year, making the quarterfinals and losing only 4 games.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 11:25 AM

Oh no here comes the "who has more state titles, you gotta win one first, ok now u gotta win another one...."

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 11:48 AM

Heard something about a 6' 6'' kid that moved in? Rocket?

And i think sikeston is going to dominate this year, gonna be some new faces, but v and jt with another year under their belt? Thats going to be fun to see.

And why wouldn't we host the semo conference tournament? Since our ad created it and all

And the fieldhouse has hosted some of the best games in the past few years, but i dont mind when we play in dexter, pretty sure were undefeated there, kinda like two home court advantages

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 1:26 PM

No Barkley no need for me to say that, I'm not concerned about that at all... We all know the count... Everybody knows about your undefeated but is that your only argument? I'm speaking about 2012-13 season not 2,3,4yrs ago... That's past it's a new yr...sideline IMO sik us not the favorite with one starter returning? I know your district is a little tougher this yr, in past yrs IMO the district was weak at best... With nd being the only other challenge.. Adding Kennett & cape makes the district very tough... No more cake walks. No dusty I won't boast or brag about our titles no need to... I'm sure you know what it is... As I said before state titles are earned not given! It's not easy to win, u need luck, skill & good coaching & talent... If it were that easy on paper everybody would win or win more!! It's a grind!

-- Posted by He hate me on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 2:42 PM

For once I agree with everything you said He hate me, except Sikeston's district being weak at best. A weak district is having no challengers. Every year Sikeston and Notre Dame are tough. Perryville had two good squads that could have beaten anybody on a given night (beat Cape last year, who beat Charleston on the road for example).

But I agree, state titles are earned. It takes a lot of hard work, talent, and coaching and sometimes a little luck.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 2:47 PM

Rocky09, I'll grant you that South Pem improved alot over the course of last season. I'm sure they will continue to improve this season. But whether or not they will be a serious contender in their conference or district, let's just say I'm skeptical at this point. But I certainly wish South Pem all the luck in the world.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 3:06 PM

Just wondering who is in the running for the point at Sikeston this year?

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 3:10 PM

Ruby....there is a 6'6" kid that moved back. I am not sure of his name. He is related to one of the kids on the team. I'm not sure of his skills. I really havent' heard.

The Dogs are going to be a force. They are going to be really good again.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 3:36 PM

Vashawn Ruffin will probably be running the point this year, BIGELW. Jarius Ray will probably see some time there as well.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 3:39 PM

So who would you rank #1 in semo area ? I'll take charleston as the best, deep & experience team in the area! I don't think a lot people realize how big & strong parham is... Take a look at his shoulders & biceps & legs... He is pretty solid 175... Bigger & stronger than most guards in area & can shoot the 3, drive & attack the basket.. Hull is a dead eye shooter, take athletisicm of summer foster & carter, the heady play of Watkins & DT cooper filling in as beast in the middle not very big but certainly stronger than he looks, I'm sure a few guys remember him from middle school ball. Nice 5 & the bench del bogan, rob bogan, Webster, Henderson will be subs... Pretty good team! I'm taking charleston as semo conf champs right now tournament & regular season champs!

-- Posted by He hate me on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 5:52 PM

Does anyone know anything about St. Pius X in class 3 district 2? I'm not familiar with them. The rest of the district seems to be the same. Looks like Kelly moved out and St. Pius X moved in. Should be a competitive district. I'm anxious to see how SC fares without Cotner and Robert.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 6:01 PM

I'd put Sikeston at one and Charleston at two but those are the top two with the order depending on who you ask. Sikeston brings back three of their top four or five scorers (I don't have the numbers in front of me) and look like they will go ten or eleven deep this year. I'm not going to hype up each and every player since I haven't watched them since the spring but a lot of guys have transitioned well.

Ronnie, Pius isn't anything special. Shouldn't make any difference in the district and I don't think they would be all that different from Kelly.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 6:24 PM

Thanks sideline. I appreciate the info.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 6:28 PM

No problem. Remind me, who all do you have coming back this year?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 6:29 PM

We have Brock,Sanders,Fortner,McFall,Essner...all played lots of minutes last year, three were starters. Phillips who was out injured last year and bench players from last year Bollinger and Job...all Seniors. Plus Bentley who sat out last year, another Senior. Urhahn and Brown from the Junior class.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 8:50 PM

So this is kind of a make or break year. Senior heavy team.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 8:55 PM

My Pre-Season Top 10:

1. Charleston

2. Sikeston

3. Bernie

4. Kennett

5. Cape Central

6. Notre Dame

7. Caruthersville

8. Doniphan

9. Portageville

10.Scott County Central

Other teams to watch: Jackson, Holcomb, Hayti, Leopold, Scott City, Risco.

Possible Sleepers: Poplar Bluff, NMCC, Malden, Gideon.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 11:01 PM

He hate me, there are much better sophmore and freshman classes in the area than charleston. I place you abou fifth.

-- Posted by BIG G on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 11:16 PM

Yes sideline. After this year SC will be down for a few years. Our freshman class is very good though.

-- Posted by Ronnie1 on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 6:46 AM

Flying under the radar isn't always a bad thing. Staying at the top is a whole lot harder when everyone is chomping at the bit to get a piece of you. Sikeston and Charleston get everyones best night in and night out.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 7:58 AM

Rocket, that's kinda what i figured.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 8:01 AM

Bernie will be loaded this year, with a deep bench. Im very excited to start the season. Of course my son plays on the team and im partial Ha. I really think next year will be the biggest year for them. They should do great things both years.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 8:04 AM

BBfanatic....do we (Sikeston) play you guys this year? Is this the 2nd year of our home-home-away-away series? I always look forward to playing Bernie. Great fans, great coach and the team plays very hard.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 8:35 AM

Rocket:

yes, Sikeston comes to Bernie for second time in a row. Bernie has a home friendly schedule this year. We love playing sikeston as well because it always challenges us as a team and gives us a good gauge of where we are. It is our last regular scheduled game of the season.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 8:46 AM

Rocket:

Feb 15th. Maybe one of these days we will beat you guys! Ha

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 8:52 AM

Sideline I think charleston should be one since we bring back 3starters & 3subs from a 2loss team a yr ago! Sik lost Jamison, Coleman, warfield & the white kid that's four of ur top 6.... I know u keep saying how much more others have improved but with the exception of bratcher who else has varsity experience? As you big g... U can say all u want about our younger kids but they musta been pretty good to only suffer one loss I think, maybe they went 16-0...sounds like the truth hurts! I see charleston beating sik twice sideline... I just think our guys are better across the board than sikeston... Not to mention bigger... DT cooper will open some eyes this yr, trust me... 6'5 with ball handling skills & can shoot the rock... Lefty!! Sik returns Ruffin as only starter & jones who was first sub...I like parham & carter vs Ruffin & jones

-- Posted by He hate me on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 10:06 AM

i think Oran would be a team to watch out for as well. They went to the quarterfinals last year and return everyone i think.

-- Posted by bigriver333 on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 10:36 AM

Yikes Bigriver333, I forgot about Oran! You're exactly right about the Eagles. They will surely be a team to watch this season.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 10:40 AM

BBfanatic...I hope it's not any time soon, but you never know. I think you guys are gonna have a really good team this year....from what I understand.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 11:36 AM

If you want to be cocky and doubt Sikeston, go ahead but that team is full to the brim with ballers. You'll see.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 1:29 PM

He hate me....this year's version will have up to 12 players that will see time. Talk about DEPTH!!!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 1:41 PM

No not being cocky, I've seen ur varsity & jv play... Unless u had a move in I don't expect sik to beat ctown or win state... IMO..talent overflowing or brimming over or not... I just didn't/don't see it! As far as being deep... It only matters if the bench actually provides points or boards or impact the game... 2010 sik was deep, every sub added something last ur all the substituting didn't affect ctown!! Last yr sik switched in & out vs ctown and to me, it looked as tho coach was searching for answers lol not because they were deep!!! Like I said, I'll take charleston over sik both times if that happens... Sideline the kids got beat in march & got that much better in may, June right? Lol.. We'll see!!

-- Posted by He hate me on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 5:59 PM

You will see.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 6:40 PM

I'm back from the dead just in time for basketball season! It was a good offseason but I'm ready for some ball. I'm really looking foward to watching the Eagles play. They return their three leading scorers and move up a JV team that went undefeated last season. They will be definite contenders for class 2 in the area. There should be a lot of competition and talent throughout the area. Best wishes on a healthy and successful season for each team!

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 8:01 PM

Does anyone have the line for Crystal City and Elsberry this year? I know CC lost the Sample kid to graduation but other than that what do they have coming back? I saw where both teams moved into class 2 district 4 which goes to show a Semo team will have to go through them to get to the final 4.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 8:05 PM

I am excited to see that there is someone else now in Sikeston's district that can beat Notre Dame. Every year regardless of how good Sikeston is I worry about another miracle from ND when they play Sikeston. I would rather see Cape Central or Kennett 10/10 times in the final rather than ND and I hope one of those other teams knocks off ND in a game before the final. I am sure the ND faithful feel the same about Sikeston. It will be a great environment to add the Cape Central crowd to districts. Maybe now we can play in the Cape Christmas Tournament sometime.

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Sun, Sep 30, 2012, at 1:50 AM

It's funny how some of you guys think sik has never had a chance of getn in the x-mas tournament.... I'm sure they've had that chance to in previous yrs! For some reason they're not! I mean charleston & like 3 other teams from Scott county play in & has been for years, wonder why sik never got in! I know in the late 70's, 80's, 90's the Xmas tournament was among one of the best in the region if not the state, with cape,, Jackson, nd, charleston, Scott co central in it... I agree it need some new teams in it to bring back a more competitive tourney again! My opinion sik didn't wanna enter back then, tourney was too strong... Heck I wonder why they have never played in riverbend! Could it be competition level too high?! I'm jus asking...

-- Posted by He hate me on Sun, Sep 30, 2012, at 9:52 AM

I know for a fact Sikeston has tried to get in the Cape Christmas tournament for over 20 years. There has never been an opening for them to get in. It has been the same exact field since at least the late 80s. Sikeston was in the tournament in the 50s and 60s and then moved over to the Bloomfield Tournament before that tourney went a different direction and wanted to make it more of a small school field. I wouldn't call the Cape Christmas Tournament the strongest around. Sikeston has traveled to Carbondale, Poplar Bluff, Dyersburg and now St. Dominic just to play over Christmas and those tournament fields are far stronger top to bottom. No freebies in those. If Charleston wants some better competition maybe they should go play in the Poplar Bluff tournament.

Sikeston was in the Riverbend once. I know they were invited back another time but they were committed to play Lafayette in the Pepsi Shootout at Cape. I'm not sure if they've been invited back since then. Wouldn't make much sense for them to get in it even if they were with their football team making deep playoff runs.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sun, Sep 30, 2012, at 10:04 AM

Blatant ignorance of facts and common knowledge by Hate today in regards to the Christmas tourney. Can't say I'm shocked.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Sep 30, 2012, at 1:29 PM

I agree why would anyone want to play in the Christmas tourney at Cape there's not much competion there. Pb showdown doesn't like to put any local teams in it cause most of the local teams we already play at least once and a couple of them twice.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sun, Sep 30, 2012, at 7:37 PM

You guys are so silly... I think I said 70's, 80's, 90's!!!! In case you didn't know the tourney use to be the best around, that's why charleston never went back to bluff! Lets not act lik sik was/has always made deep playoff runs... Just recently... I wasn't speaking of the Xmas tourney now... But the way you guys think, I suppose if sik gets in the tournament, it'll be top then, right? Lol u guys kill me, especially hoops & sideline... If the st Dominic tourney is that much better, I'm sure my jays can win it too, especially if sik has... I'm sure of that! Their ain't tournament charleston has played in that they don't own more wins or more tourney wins than any other opponents, including old SIT & newly formed SEMO conf tourney... So don't get it twisted!!

-- Posted by He hate me on Sun, Sep 30, 2012, at 7:39 PM

Yeah Riverbend is New Madrid's own tournament and they've made more playoff runs than sikeston has. Although I see no reason for sikeston to want to get into the Cape tournament.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Sep 30, 2012, at 7:47 PM

The deep football playoff runs hasn't really occurred till like 3,4 yrs ago, so what the excuse before then! That's a great set up on thanksgiving wkend... I live to go watch our area vs others... No matter what! Win or lose... Some schools try to avoid that... Traditionally....

-- Posted by He hate me on Sun, Sep 30, 2012, at 7:47 PM

I don't think anyone on here decides where anybody plays in the tournaments so call the school and ask why. I don't think we don't play in certain ones because we are scared of Charleston

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Sep 30, 2012, at 7:56 PM

NMCC canceled the Riverbend altogether in 2001 because of a deep playoff run if I remember correctly. But as I said, the fact is Sikeston has been making deep playoff runs in football the past 3 years and are looking like a playoff contender this year as well. I know Sikeston won both its games in the Riverbend in 1994 the first year they had it and they were invited to the Riverbend in 2008 but they were already committed to play Lafayette. I have no idea if they were invited prior to 2008 and I don't know if they've been invited back to the Riverbend since then, but even if they were, it wouldn't make much sense to commit to it if they would have just a few days of practice before the games. It has not worked out well for NMCC at all as far as basketball. I do like the event as a spectator but I'm sure coach Day would much rather have the Riverbend a couple weeks later to get his team more prepared. Or maybe he feels getting the early challenges is good for his team. I have no idea. That's up to him to figure out what's best for his team and Sikeston's people will figure out what's best for Sikeston. What I do know though, Riverbend or no Riverbend, Sikeston basketball seems to be doing OK to me so why change what's working? If you are so concerned with Sikeston's schedule why don't you ask Sikeston's AD or the head coach? I'm just speculating as to the reasons.

As usual "He hate me" you don't read the posts. I agree, the Cape Tournament USED to be one of the best around. Not anymore. I find it laughable that you think the Cape tourney is tougher than the Carbondale and Poplar Bluff tourneys.

I'll say it again, but it doesn't matter since you won't read it. But Sikeston was in the Cape tourney in the 50s and 60s and then the Bloomfield in the 70s and early 80s. They have been trying to get in the Cape Tournament ever since the late 80s but there have not been openings. By the way, you are wrong. Charleston has never played in the Bluff Showdown. They've always been in the Cape tourney. Charleston would not have won the St. Dominic tourney in 2010. Sikeston turbo clocked the Bluejays at Charleston that year. Sikeston was 30-0 and I don't see Charleston beating Sikeston at a neutral site. Maybe last year. Maybe. Two very close games with Sikeston last year that could have gone either way so it's conceivable you could have won last year. Sikeston and Charleston each have won the SEMO Conference tourney 3 times.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sun, Sep 30, 2012, at 9:33 PM

Hoops.....stop confusing He Hate Me with facts. You know those pesky things get in the way of his blatant hatred towards Sikeston. You should be ashamed of yourself! LOL

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 8:20 AM

How bout we solve this. We are going to host our tourney here at MRH starting this year 2012. I would love for both Sikeston and Charleston to attend next year 2013. My favorite rivalry and my alma mater in my gym, classic. That will be awesome. So how bout it? Headlines..."2013 Nov 28- 30. Charleston and Sikeston joins the field of Soldan, Lee Alabama, Riverview, MRH and Booker T. Washington out of Tulsa OK @ the MRH Tip Off Classic." Chicago Foreman or Chicago Orr will likely join us as well. Depends on who gets their contract back to us first. This year we are only doing a round robin with MRH, Soldan, Riverview and Lee HS Alabama. So how bout it?

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 9:14 AM

Hoops yes charleston was in pb shoot out in 80's, I should know its printed in my brothers archives!! 2ndly I didn't say Xmas tourney was the best now, so listen!! Yes I think we could've won st Dominic's tourney, yes sik did turbo click ctown at home, but are we acting as though ctown has never turbo clock sik? Yes many times & I'm not being sarcastic but truthful, many times once by 52pts... Lol ... Sik has beat ctown twice on last sec heaves in 89 & 91... But that doesn't matter today just like 2010 doesn't matter... I'm looking forward to 2012-13 version...u say the game in 2012 could've went either way, no ur wrong, ctown never trailed I don't believe & controlled the tempo...beat u twice Twice at ur place, I only wanna have one more point then my opponent, if its 25 fine if its 1 fine it's a win, hoops!! I don't see it changing anytime soon, see jv game last yr! After winning SEMO tourney this yr, we'll own that tourney too, because SIT was our tourney just about every yr... Last but not least, Fraz the schools you named for your shoot out, their is no way class 4 sik is coming up to play, too much competition... They don't play them type teams, add Bernie & south pem to it couple class 1&2teams maybe they will then!! Lol... We can never look on sik schedule & see a eye poppin game vs stiff or well known competition, not tournaments but scheduled reg season games except for maybe this yr, mrh!!! Fraz we're trying to get this alumni game going here in October, all former players will be too many so we're in the process of trying to limit it to only players off championship teams... Should be fun!!! I'd much rather schedule sik or nmcc alumni after playing scc the last 3,4yrs... Had alumni football homecoming weekend, it was so fun man, I'm sure bball would be even better!! Fraz I hope ur free in late oct or early nov to play!!!

-- Posted by He hate me on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 10:12 AM

Hate....please don't let the facts get in the way. Sikeston played Imagine Prep in Cape last January. It was the second game of a three game gauntlet....Charleston on Friday, Imagine (Final 4 team) on Saturday, and at Desoto (who was #1 in Class 4 then). This year we play MRH and one of the Parkway schools in Cape. We will play you guys (probably twice), Cape, Kennett, and ND. Honestly....why would we OR you guys go anywhere to play? We have the BEST competition in the state overall...period. And...it's all within an hour drive (Kennett, Cape, Charleston, Sikeston, SCC)! It really hurt us in 2011 and you guys last year that we didn't play Dallas Lincoln, Findlay Prep or Oak Hill. You DON'T have to play those type of teams to get ready for REAL high school basketball....at least in southeast Missouri. Those teams (except for Dallas Lincoln) aren't REAL high school teams anyway. It's fine if you want to play them, but you are only going to get embarrassed. "Only" losing by 30 or 40 is not doing your team any good....IMO.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 10:28 AM

He hate Sikeston should be your screen name. Taking shots is by no means a way to prove your case.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 10:29 AM

And.....yes, both games last year were in doubt until the buzzer. The first game was a 2 point game late in the 4th and I think we had a shot to tie it, but missed. Tucker hit some clutch FT's (like he did all year) and put you guys up further. I think the first game was 4 points and the second was 8-10 (not exactly sure).

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 10:30 AM

Yes your right Rocket, both games were pretty close. One was 75-71 and one was 57-48, I was at both of those games, they were pretty exciting!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 10:38 AM

Sikeston had the first game but Ruffin went out with an injury late and Sikeston couldn't hold on. The second game Charleston pretty well led the whole game but Sikeston had a chance to tie late but missed. Tucker extended it with the free throws as somebody said.

He hate me, I think you may be confusing the now defunct Poplar Bluff Invitational with the Poplar Bluff Showdown. The Showdown is the tournament over Christmas break so its impossible for Charleston to play in both the Cape Christmas and the PB Showdown at the same time. If us little people in Southeast Missouri aren't good enough for the mighty Jays, maybe they should get in the PB Showdown or travel over to Marshall County and play against Oak Hill.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 11:22 AM

And you talk about schedules as if Charleston's and Sikeston's are so different. Charleston gets two, at least, freebies in Christmas tourney. Beat meadow Heights in the 1st round. They played Kelly. They played a 13-11 Pine Bluff team who didn't have 10 of its 14 roster members due to a football playoff run. They won the Superman Classic by defeating Vienna (3-20), Carbonale (5-21), and Massac (17-10). They played a down NMCC team twice. They had to defeat a below average Liberty in sectionals, quarterfinals against Crystal City (who lost to Perryville, St. Piux X, among other stalwarts)...not exactly a murderer's row. I credit Charleston for winning state and for being a really good team, but don't talk about how brutal their schedule is.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 11:35 AM

I can't wait until bball, with discussions like this it should be lots of fun reading.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 11:59 AM

Usually one provides facts and statistics and knowledgeable insight, and the other provides cheap shots and overzealous bragging.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 12:03 PM

Sure makes my day a lot more fun, having "discussions."

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 12:04 PM

Charleston has one more year, then they'll be in the middle of the pack.

-- Posted by BIG G on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 12:07 PM

What part of regular season games don't you get? Dude that means no tournament just what was scheduled! We don't have any control over who we play in a tournament... U guys are just sick with excuses... Point is we beat u twice!!yea our schedule is brutal, always have been... Hardaway classic in Memphis in jan, no matter who the competition & we played in bass pro & placed 2nd to team from New York, i think it's better than Marshall co shootout... Plus we've played Marshall co in reg season game... Like I said we'll play anybody anywhere!! We will never schedule p'ville or ste. Gen in bball...lol.. Why would we? Cupcake city distinct opponent or not!!! Big G u can keep saying that we'll be down after this yr, but I doubt it, our jv was undeadeated... That means our Bteam practices vs state champs everyday in practice, so to think our run is over is silly! We lose 5,6 seniors after this yr & reload again next yr... I guarantee you bogans, Webster & cooper won't let us down like u seem to think!! I love getting it going early bulldog fans... We'll hang 11 up & search for num 12... Meanwhile try to give ur 1 some company!!! U got plenty of room on the walls that's for sure!!! Lol

-- Posted by He hate me on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 12:26 PM

I thought you weren't going to talk about ancient history anymore? I am appalled that you went back on your word. I'm sure those tournaments in the early 90s mean a lot to the current Jay players.

And since when does one loss count as going undefeated? Didn't JV lose to Notre Dame last year? My gosh, if that's the case then why not stop at one. How about two losses? Then we can say Sikeston's JV was undefeated too!! Woo hoo! 70-game winning streak for the JV Bulldogs!

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 12:36 PM

"our jv was undeadeated"

Undeadeated. Great word. For anyone who may be confused, here's an example of how one would use "undeadeated" in a sentence:

I sure thought ol' Chuck was gonna outrun that zombie, but he tripped and fell and the undeadeated his brain.

There. You're welcome.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 12:40 PM

"yes sik turbo click Ctown at home"

Example: I wanted my computer to go faster, so I turbo clicked the enter button.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 1:00 PM

Well I would love for both CHS and SHS to attend. Regardless of who won what in the past. It will be a good situation for us all to play against teams with different styles of play. I know one thing. This thread has a lot of history going on. Its teaching me a few things I didnt know about Xmas tourneys and etc... Very entertaining too.lol. Keep it up guys.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 1:34 PM

He hate me gets mixed up a lot. I'm always happy to help him out!

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 1:39 PM

Hey CHS2MRH, if I were you, I'd call the schools and try and get something worked out. That would be a great tourney!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 1:45 PM

No you don't have any control over who you play in most tournements but when you play in the Cape tourney you know you're playing 2 cupcakes the first 2 rounds every year.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 1:53 PM

Well we are going to contact both programs about it. Any other schools down south that will be good, shoot me an email or something and I will have my AD check them out. cfrazier@wittstraining.com

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 2:27 PM

I'm sorry but some of this is making me really laugh, u guys are hilarious. Semo hoops u just can't let it get to you so much then you would see how fun some of these discussions are.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 2:27 PM

Oh believe me, I love this stuff. Makes my day so much more fun. I can't wait to see He hate me's next response, even though I know what he's going to say most of the time, which is usually a recap of the Jays dominance of the 70s, 80s, and 90s and lots and lots of exclamation points. The great part about it is this guy supposedly played for the Jays, or at worst went to school there, yet I know more about their history and teams than he does.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 2:46 PM

I think its fun reading this. Should never be taken personal. Its all a form of ones opinion(s). Freedom of speech. Right or wrong, each has its own truth. All entertainment.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 2:51 PM

I agree CHS2MRH, unless it is a personal attack on a player or a coach. Then it goes too far.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 2:52 PM

Does anyone know how Dexter is going to look this year?

-- Posted by BallBoy345 on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 3:27 PM

BallBoy....if you are referring to the boys program....I would say they are going to be down. That is from a good friend of mine who lives in Dexter. If you are referring to the girls program....I would expect them to make a trip to Columbia. From the same friend....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Oct 1, 2012, at 3:29 PM

Hoops you a bulldog how could u possibly know more about charleston history than me? I am part of that history & has lived it for 30plus yrs.... Please!!! Keep up with your own teams history... Just so u know, I don't have to recap our 70,89,90's, I can recaps 2000's & it still will look better than sik recap... Heck we've Won 2 (07,12)... So I can just throw that out there, not to mention 7funal four app... More in 2000's than sik has period!!!! Bye since you know so much, name me starting lineup of ctown undeadeated 33-0 season... Don't worry I'll wait!! Show me how much history u know, mr skip bayless... Don't worry chs2mrh I can handle these clowns any day, I love to get'em going! Lol... Stir that gumbo... Sideline sitter, lil rocket & hula hoop... Smells bad but taste great!!!

-- Posted by He hate me on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 8:34 AM

Hoops I know u love to be sarcastic but really answer that question for me! Don't try & talk your way out of it... History buff!! Show me you're credible as u say u are!!!

-- Posted by He hate me on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 8:36 AM

Dang, He hate me....you posted at noon yesterday and at 8:34 this morning. It really took you that long to come up with some cheesy nicknames?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 8:40 AM

He Hate me, when are you all planning the alumni game? I will be there if you let me know ahead of time. Shoot me a text about it.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 8:48 AM

1990 Charleston...Carlos McCauley, Lamont Frazier, Leonard Corbitt, Greg Davis, Marcus Williams

I can do this all day.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 9:16 AM

Haha!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 9:18 AM

What i want to know is why Cape keeps going down in classes? A city of at least 40,000 and their cross town rivals with a city of just 13,000 and we are just a few kids from being Class 6 in Football and are Class 5 in basketball!!!! ANd yes i know Jackson has bigger area that they pick up kids! Seems to me Jackson needs to redistrict! I saw Jackson buses in the City limits of Cape the other day picking up kids!

-- Posted by Jax12 on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 9:24 AM

Someone told me that this will just be a 2 year stint for Cape. They will be back in Class 5 in two years (when MSHSAA looks at the enrollment numbers).

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 9:30 AM

I heard the same thing about Kennett will move back down to Class 3

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 9:33 AM

After this two-year cycle, if the research I've done is correct, Missouri will be moving to a six class system like football so Cape will obviously move back to Class 5 and schools like Sikeston as well as probably Farmington and Desoto, etc. will move there with them. Meanwhile, Kennett, Dexter, Fredericktown, etc. are probably in Class 4 for the long haul though the teams in Class 4 will be changing. Jackson may wind up in Class 6.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 11:11 AM

Good hoops everybody knows that team? Give me the 1987-88 starting 5 or 1990-91 starting 5 or 1992-93 if u can do this all day! Lol 1984-85! I know but do you know?? None of these teams were title teams... Hint

-- Posted by He hate me on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 2:48 PM

Chs2mrh u have to hit me up I lost all contacts! Yeah it's in the making now!! Hoping we can do men & women

-- Posted by He hate me on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 2:50 PM

Who cares? Everybody on this site knows that semohoops is #1 when knowing historical facts on SEMO area basketball teams. And nobody is concerned anymore about mid-eighties Charleston teams except for has-beens living in the past. I'd rather hear about how Cape, Jackson, NMCC, Kennett, Caruthersville, Bernie, SCC, Risco, Leopold, Dexter, Notre Dame, etc. are looking this year than hearing about who was starting for what team when.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 3:01 PM

In two years Notre D will start to dominate, followed by sikeston, nmcc and caruthersville. Charleston will be on the radar but only as good competition. Your jv last year had several juniors playing teams with mostly freshman and struggled against them.

-- Posted by BIG G on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 3:57 PM

Alright, just for you He Hate me, because we're so tight. You start digging in the 80s you are starting to get a little before my recollection. But here's a stab at it.

84-85 - William McCauley, Emmanuel Bibbs, Lorenzo Doyle, L-Mac Jr., Cedric Rogers

87-88 - Mozell Sherrell, L. Frazier, Marcus Emmanuel, Corbitt, McClendon

90-91 - C. McCauley, Gene Rodgers, Marcus Williams, Shana Cooper, Demetrius Murray

92-93 - Tim Frazier, Corey Frazier, Diondray Foster, Ray Spence, Hernando Rowe

I think my point is made.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 7:54 PM

Ok hoops, that's pretty good old son, but sit back in that chair and let "he hate me" show u how its done!

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 8:58 PM

Very good not good enough... 87-88 Corbitt wasn't a starter, Tim spence/Corey Anderson were alternating starting...90-91 Demetrius Murray or gene Rodgers were not starters, a freshman name Corey Frazier was after 10games & shana cooper quit after 10games & diondray foster started the whole yr at the post... Rodgers was inactive the last half of season... I know I know... U thought u knew...92-93 u are correct... Good job seriously but I was there I know what was what... I give u props u were close but not complete!!! Point taking!!! Sideline if u don't wanna here it or read it then turn off ur computer or log off dude or girl!!! You love bringing up bulldogs old players, that havnt won anything!!!

-- Posted by He hate me on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 9:28 PM

I wasn't for sure on Corbitt, that was my best guess. After Sikeston played Charleston in 91 I didn't see the Jays again for the rest of the year. I knew Foster was in the mix as a soph. I played junior high ball against him. That's why I knew the 92-93 was right.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 9:38 PM

If I wanted to read about Charleston in the eighties, I would have started a post on Charleston in the eighties, Hate. This post was about the new districts, thoughts on them, and predictions for the upcoming season. Halfway through, you started rambling about Christmas tourneys in the eighties and making up lies about Sikeston without facts to back it up and here we are now. I don't see where I brought up old Bulldog teams anywhere on this thread. Just go back to the Y and hang with your old buddies if you want to talk about the glory days and let us get back to the discussion of the here and now.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 9:48 PM

I think He Hate Me is hilarious. You Sikeston guys shouldn't let him upset you so much. He's just trying to get a rise out of you. IMO, Charleston and Sikeston are neck-and-neck this season as the two best teams in Semo. They will settle it on the court soon enough.

BallBoy345, I'm afraid it's going to be a long season for boy's basketball in Dexter. Cody Neldon is going to miss the whole basketball season with the ACL injury he suffered in football. That means we have only two starters returning. Our top JV prospect moved to Oklahoma. We just don't have any size in the middle. We had a 6'3" kid move in from Iowa, but no idea how good he is. It's entirely possible we will have a freshman starting on the varsity this year.

BarkleyFan, loved the CDB reference!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Oct 2, 2012, at 10:45 PM

I bet he hate me cant figure out who CDB is....lol

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 8:02 AM

I guess everyone is counting Jackson out this year, or just being biased for thier teams, so I will be a little biased for my Alama Mater.. They will be by far the biggest team in the area averaging about 6'5"- 6'6" in height and a pure scorer in Karson King! Look for the Indians to be one of the Top teams in this area if not the Best team in the area!

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 9:47 AM

Oh and I agree no one on here cares what Charelston did over 20 years ago...! Lets talk about how these kids will do this year.. Look for Jackson, Sikeston and Cape to be the best teams in the area..

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 9:50 AM

Bigger isn't always better! See the Sikeston team that went undefeated! I'm not a Sikeston fan, I'm a Caruthersville fan, so I'm not being biased. Sikeston and Charleston has earned the right to be called the two best teams in Semo. I think there are a few teams who will compete well with them this year but they should be considered the best in the area until someone beats them.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 9:53 AM

Jackson should be very tough this year. Lots of size and good shooters. jackson is always dangerous.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 9:57 AM

Husker....I have to agree 100% with Cheese. Look at last year's Sikeston team.... No one over 6'2" and they spanked Jackson last year. Jackson had Meyer at 6'9" or 6'10", the King kid at 6'6" and some other bigs. It will be more of the same this year when the two meet.

I'm not knocking Jackson as they are a quality team and should win their district fairly easily. As hoops said, they are dangerous.

By the way....I met Jon Meyer Friday night after the Sikeston-Jackson football game. He was with a mutual friend. Very nice young man.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 10:08 AM

Bernie is going to be an easy 11 man deep team this year. they have also started a weight program. In past years Bernie got pushed around alot. that wont happen this year as its amazing how these kids have changed. Bernie's outlook this year and even better next year is going to be exciting.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 10:26 AM

Class 2 district 1 should be a fun distrcit BBfanatic. With Bernie, pville, hayti, holcomb all looking good this year. I think South Pem is being overlooked though, watched them at that Bernie summer tourney, and they beat Bernie by 12.I know summer doesnt mean much, but it does show that south pem should be ready to compete with the top 4 this year. It should be fun to watch all these teams go at it this year though. All the teams in that district have a chance at winning it this year.

-- Posted by bballfan95 on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 11:18 AM

bballfan95:

You are correct. Pville beat us over the summer as well and you cannot look over S Pem or any of them. It will be fun. I believe this, If Bernie is on their game and hittin on all cylinders they will be tough to beat. the problem is you never know whats going to happen. Can't wait to start the season.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 11:48 AM

I know the tiger classice shoot out is still a ways off but I saw on Sikeston's boys schedule

that they play Imagine Prep in their game in the shoot out but tht can't be possible since that school closed. I was wondering if anyone knew Sikeston did play then.

-- Posted by country man on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 11:51 AM

Jackson has to prove that they are on of the best teams heck they lost to PB last year. I know the kids are a year older and should be better but until they beat some good teams before they even get mentioned in the same breath with the Dogs and Jays.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 11:52 AM

Country man, I haven't looked at the full schedule so I haven't seen anything from the Tiger Shootout but if we were going to play Imagine there again, I'd guess we may play Madison Prep (new Imagine). Either that or hopefully Cape will give us a different opponent. I'd like to hope they like to have our team in it so they can get our fans up there to spend money.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 11:57 AM

Sikeston will play Parkway South at the Tiger Shootout.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 11:58 AM

And there we go.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 11:59 AM

I think the imagine situation has been a problem for a lot of schools schedules. First they said they were closing, then they said they would remain open, then closed again. I don't think schools had time to adjust there schedules. But I believe St. louis Public schools stepped in and kept it open as a district high school not a charter one. I believe it goes by Academy of Environmental Sciences and Mathematics now. Even though they still have Imagine signs and stuff. But they no longer are an "Imagine" school.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 12:00 PM

I believe that madison is an entirely different school, although some imagine teachers and students did go there.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 12:05 PM

When you're in these shootouts there are always changes it seems. Last year Sikeston was supposed to play Clarksville in the Rector Shootout, but they dropped out and they put Valley View against Sikeston instead. Sikeston was supposed to play Maplewood in last year's Tiger Shootout, but then all of a sudden it was Imagine Prep on the schedule.

This year's Rector Shootout is an even bigger mystery. They still don't have an opponent for Sikeston.

This year the shootout director wanted Dyer County, Tenn., to play Sikeston. But Dyer County didn't want to play the Bulldogs so they put them against somebody else. So then they put Trumann, Ark., against Sikeston, but they dropped out. Then they decided to pit the host school against Sikeston, but apparently that won't happen either.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 12:09 PM

Imagine Prep is now known as Madison Prep. Many of the same students are still going there but many of them transferred to other school districts. Can you blame them? As far as athletics, I think they have the same coaches and will for the most part have the same team in basketball as they did last year (although their inside stud Emmanual Vaughn and the slam dunk jumping jack Jeremiah Price are now at Soldan). But with the loss of so many students they are now in Class 3. Jackson was supposed to play them in football this week but they now have an open date because of all the mess.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 12:13 PM

I hope this is the last year we are in that shootout then if they can't even find us an opponent.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 12:14 PM

It went well last year, but yeah this musical opponents is kind of a head-scratcher.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 12:20 PM

I'd like for them to find us a quality opponent, someone who is going to be competing for a title Class 4 or 5 in Arkansas if they can (or a decent Class 6 or 7 school if they have to). I think that is what they are trying to do in order to make a marquee matchup out of it but I think we would all also just like to know who the opponent will be.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 12:23 PM

Clarksville was the defending state champion. I was excited about that matchup until they dropped out. The Dyer County game would be fun too. They have a blue chip recruit. Not sure why they didn't want to play. Sikeston played them this summer and beat them twice. One of the games with our friend Rocket689 at the helm! Who knows. Maybe they felt, "if they can beat us with THAT GUY coaching them, then we have no shot against them!"

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 12:28 PM

Yes, I know it is shocking to some to think that Sikeston is getting in these shootouts to play good people. As crazy as that sounds.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 12:35 PM

just htat is rigiht semohops dier county has a good tream. my cousins friends broter plays on that team, may be you heard of him robert hubes. is gonna going to go to tenessee to play. he woulds lit sikeston bulldogs up for 45 poitns i blieve. dyer is just better that the siekeston bulldogs.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 12:38 PM

Semohoops, I'm not sure the accuracy of this claim but everything I've heard about Dyer County is that they don't like to play Missouri schools in Missouri because the difference (and lack of home cooking) in refs (I mean we all know how biased Tennessee refs are to home state teams). And I don't want us travelling to Tennessee to face them. Look at what happened to Caruthersville when they did it.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 12:46 PM

That's very true Sideline. The refs in Tennessee are horrible to Missouri schools. They tried to give the game to Bolivar, TN last year in the Dyersburg Christmas Tourny but we were at full strength that game and wasn't going to be beat. That was the only game last year we had everyone available to play and it showed against a very good Bolivar team. I wish we would drop Dyer County becuase we get the shaft just about every time.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 1:14 PM

Well this game would have been in Arkansas, so there goes that excuse. I know that Dyer County came over to Missouri 3 or 4 years ago and Advance beat them. So there may be some validity to what you posted sideline. I can definitely vouch that it is a different animal when you cross that river. Why do you think so many teams got out of the Superman Classic? Charleston, NMCC, Sikeston, Caruthersville, and Notre Dame all dropped out because it became impossible to have a fair chance over there. Ask any coach (Farmer, McFerren, Hale, Holifield) why they wanted out of the Superman and they would without hesitation say the same thing. That's part of the reason why that tournament has fallen off the map compared to what it used to be.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 1:15 PM

Charleston won it last year semohoops.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 1:18 PM

The point is I don't think Dyer County is big on playing good schools outside of Tennessee. If you hear about any more teams getting put against Sikeston at Rector and then backing out, let us know semohoops. It is some interesting stuff. Also, do you know where I can find a copy of this year's schedule?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 1:22 PM

Yeah I know. It's not impossible to win it. If you're good enough you can win, but not without some challenges. Charleston won it a few times in the 80s and 90s. Sikeston won it in 95 and that was a great Sikeston team that needed every bit of its talent against Massac and its three refs. Charleston was very good last year but the tournament field wasn't very strong. They beat Vienna (3-20), Carbonale (5-21), and Massac (17-10). The tournament field used to include good teams top to bottom. I haven't been over there in 6 or 7 years and neither has anybody else until Charleston got back in it, so maybe things have changed. Maybe not.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 1:28 PM

I haven't seen a schedule yet but I will keep my eyes open. I just know a few of the changes. We go to DeSoto again. We have Maplewood at home I think. Parkway South at Cape. And whoever at Rector. I think the rest is pretty close to the same.

Oh, and Ste. Gen has been dropped. That should make a lot of the haters happy.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 1:31 PM

Semohoops do you know if NMCC ever won it, or was a couple of 2nd the best they ever got!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 1:34 PM

I know you said you hadn't seen it but I figure if anyone knows, it would be you. Did we keep Fredericktown on the schedule? They aren't in the district anymore either. I'd say they are probably one of the next in line to drop if we can. One thing that He Hate Me and I do agree on is that I would like for Sikeston to beef up their schedule some more (though we have made good strides already). Mainly, I just want it to have a couple more competitive games because I just like seeing us play good teams. I don't think it will help us or hurt us too much. It's a total personal reason. Hah.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 1:35 PM

I'm pretty sure Fredericktown is on the schedule. Scheduling is tricky. At one time Sikeston was overscheduled. From 1996 until about 2006 they were overscheduled. By that I mean they rarely had a break. One juggernaut after another. And when you would have a down year, it was hard to ever get any momentum going or keep your head above water. Sikeston also had some pretty good, not great, teams that were merely .500 or a couple games over. Sikeston had a couple district title teams that were 16-11 and 15-12. Getting out of the Superman helped a little. You want a balanced schedule, one that isn't top heavy with great teams and one that isn't filled with bottom feeders. Right now I think Sikeston's schedule is just fine. It just happens to be at a time that Sikeston is a powerhouse themselves and they are now winning games they were losing 10 years ago.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 1:50 PM

well just well well hey there Bokmajor! whot just have yo ubeen doing Bucko? i think nmcc one it with derik tiller and that bunchh bout 10 yejars ago Bucko.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 1:51 PM

http://caruthersville.k12.mo.us/Sports%2...

Caruthersville's schedule for this upcoming season

A few key games I'm personally interested in are:

12/4 @Kennett- Hoping we get the Kennett monkey off our backs. Been a long time since we beat them.

12/6 Senath- First time Heeb comes back to Cville after his departure from Cville. Will be intense for sure.

12/18 @Dyer County- Hate going to Tennessee but at least it will help the team with adversity.

12/26-12/29 Dyersburg Christmas Tourny- Always a good tourny with great teams. See if the Tigers can repeat this year.

1/22 Charleston-Charleston comes to Caruthersville for the first time since they have built the new gym. Will they have an answer for D-Mo on the inside?

1/25 @ Sikseton-Will be the first time I travel to the Field House of Sikeston!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 1:52 PM

NMCC never won that tournament to my knowledge. I know the Tipler group never won it. When he was a sophomore they won the consolation I think. As a junior Herron beat them in the first round. Can't really recall what they did in the consolation that year. As seniors, Tipler's group played at the Bass Pro Tournament and lost to Vashon in the championship. The only team that might have won it was the 88 team, but I don't think they did. I know in talking with McFerren he couldn't stand that tournament in his later years at NMCC.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 1:53 PM

Cheese, you guys have a lot of interesting games on the schedule between your Bootheel Conference games with Hayti and Portageville as well as your game with Meridian. Does anybody know how much Doniphan has back this year? They weren't too bad last year if not a bit overhyped.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 1:57 PM

Okay thanks! Yeah I know they didn't like it.

Yeah bearcat, Derik tiller may have won it bucko ;)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 1:58 PM

Sideline, Doniphan lost their best player, Derek Hutchins, to graduation. They have the 6'11" Patterson kid back plus another 6'10" kid who played sparingly when I saw them last season. It all depends on their guard play though. I don't know what they have coming back this year at guard though. I expect them to be very competitive again this year.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 2:03 PM

Semo you are correct. MRH @ Sikeston 1/11/13 at 7pm. Looking forward to playing in my old rivals home gym. Our kids know a few of your players from AAU, so it will be a fun one.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 2:25 PM

He Hate Me, I hope its the weekend of Oct. 20. Im planning on visiting my family that weekend.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 2:26 PM

I agree CHS2MRH. It should be a fun game and hopefully a great atmosphere on a Friday night. I expect a great game.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 2:34 PM

Man I will NEVER forget the screwing Cville got in Doniphan last year. By far the worst I have ever seen, and yes, Tennessee and Illi included with that haha. BAD

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 4:02 PM

Some of the schools have their schedules's on the mshsaa web site that is how i saw Sikeston's. And Some school like Cape and Jackson have their schedules also on their own school web sites.

-- Posted by country man on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 5:11 PM

Country man, the schedule on the MSHSAA site for Sikeston I believe is just last year's schedule.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 5:14 PM

Ok Thanks. You might look on Sikeston's school website they may their schedule on there. That is how I got Cape Central's and Jackson's schedules and they say 2012-2013 boys basketball schedule's

-- Posted by country man on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 5:34 PM

If anyone is interested here is Cape Central's 2012-2013 boys basketball schedule

11/26- 12/1/2012 Potosi Tournament

12/3 - 12/7/ 2012 Semo Conference Tournament

12/14/2012 @ Farmington

12/26-12/29/2012 Christmas Tournament

1/5/2013 Tiger Classic Shootout

1/8/2013 @Pacfic

1/11/13 New Madrid County Central

1/15/13 @ Saxony

1/19/13 Camdenton Shootout

1/22/13 Perryville

1/25/13 Poplar Bluff

!/28/13 Notre Dame

2/25/13 @Jackson

2/8/13 @Sikeston

2/12/13 Charleston

2/15/13 Luthern South

2/16/13 @ Marion Ill.

2/22/13 Dexter

-- Posted by country man on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 6:04 PM

Here is Jackson 2012-2013 boys basketball schedule

11/30/12 Nortwest

12/3-12/7/ 21012 Semo Confeerence Tournament

12/11/12 @Dexter

12/15/2012 Waynesvill Shootout

12/18/12 @ Vianney

12/20/12 Webster Groves

12/26-29/12 Christmas Tournament

1/5/13 Tiger Classic Shootout

1/8/13 @Woodland

1/10-12/13 Lindbergh Tournament

1/15/13 Poplar Bluff

1/22/113 @Sikeston

1/25/13 Notr Dame

1/29/13 Charleston

2/5/13 Cape Central

2/8/13 @ New Madrid Central

2/12/13 Christain Brothers College

2/19/13 Hillsboro

I also have Notre Dame's schedule if anyone would like to see that. AS you can tell Basketball is the sport i enjoy the most try to go to as many games as i can.

-- Posted by country man on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 6:15 PM

Semohoops I found out NMCC did win the superman classic in 87-88. That was the team with Travis Day, Donnie Brown, Kelvin Anderson, Eric Thatch, John Harris, the Wolford brothers. That was also the only year that we beat Charleston 4 times in a single year, take that He Hate Me haha!!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 8:24 PM

I stand corrected! I knew that team had a shot but I just didn't know for sure if they did. I used to have all those Superman Classic programs that listed the past winners. I really enjoyed watching that NMCC team from 88. Tony Wofford and Aric Thatch were beasts. Day was a sophomore on that team.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 8:59 PM

bump

-- Posted by sawdust49 on Wed, Oct 3, 2012, at 10:11 PM

Did some digging. NMCC won the Superman in 87, not 88. We did have an all-Missouri final three out of four years there. Sikeston won it the first year they played in it in 95. Never made it back to the finals for the 12 years they were there. For that matter, only three other Missouri teams ever made the finals from that point on until Charleston did last year. Just FYI, Paducah may be out of state (5 miles across the river), but they are treated as royalty over there. You won't get a fair shake against them either. The link lists all the past winners and finals matchups.

https://docs.google.com/a/massac.org/vie...

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 9:24 AM

yeah I wasn't sure if it was 87-88. I also don't know if that was the 86-87 team that won it, or the 87-88 team. I'm not sure what time of year the tournament was held back then. Thanks for the link! man charleston just litters that list with 1st and 2nd's. I don't know much about the teams that are in it this year, I wonder how charleston stacks up with them this year!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 10:06 AM

The tournament is annually held in January, so it would have been the 86-87 team that won it. Wofford, Thatch, etc., would have been juniors. Day was a freshman. Charleston used to do very well over there in the 80s, but the tournament was already being corrupted in the 90s making it nearly impossible to win, driving away its top competition. Anything they could to get Massac and Paducah victories they would do. I'm very surprised Charleston went back after hearing the way Farmer hated that tournament. I guess they needed games.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 10:11 AM

Buck major what's with you dude? I do my picking on this site but not with you, so I guess we can get it on!! Yes you guys beat ctown for times that yr (down yr for ctown) I have to admit, mc ferret kicked 18ppg scorer of team Terrell Corbitt, so that made it tougher, but we beat those guys 3times in 89, 4times in 90... Travis day & kelvin Anderson knew they beat charleston for the last time in 88... When they were sophomores, that means jr-sr they went 0-7 vs charleston with ctown winning state both yrs with a combined record of 57-6 in route to back to back ships!!!!! That tiny wofford was good tho along with Farr & day & thatch, ctown beat them in 86-87 lost 87-88, won 88-89, 89-90... With the exception of 87-88 season we're talkn about winning 5titles in a row & still won 5yrs out of 7... Talk about getting it done!!

-- Posted by He hate me on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 11:23 AM

I know guys, it's old but that's what it turned to, old days... But anyway buck it's been a long dry drought at nmcc since then... Tripler brought nmcc back to life in winning two in early 2000's but bone dry since!!!!

-- Posted by He hate me on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 11:26 AM

It's Tipler, not Tripler.

-- Posted by Semofan25 on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 11:40 AM

Man I was just messing with you, just see what you would say haha! I got no problem you man, think your a hoot an half, pretty funny dude. Keep it up lol!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 1:16 PM

I'm on an iPhone dude not a computer!! I know it's tipler.. 1st & 10... Buck eye for an eye type of guy... Bump me, I'll bump u back.

-- Posted by He hate me on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 8:47 PM

Enjoy this year hate me, next year youll change your name to Feel Sorry For Me.

-- Posted by BIG G on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 9:36 PM

I just found that charleston opponent in the penny hardaway hoopfest at Dyer co high school jan 10, 2013 vs Dyer co led by 6'5 Robert hubbs... Recruited by mizzou, Arkansas, Tennessee , duke, auburn just to name a few... I'm excited to see how the guys respond to the challenge, especially parham! He can really open some eyes if he somehow able to control hubbs, I'm not sure how strong this kid is but I understand he's good! Can't wait...that might be during sikeston week...hmmm

-- Posted by He hate me on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 11:04 PM

Big you mean like apparently you've done? I mean next yr ill be same ole me, he don't / havnt had a down yr in yrs... We are always competitive, I'll say this again big g... Dell bogan will be a 2x all state & he's a soph this yr, 6'5 Webster jr, rob bogan jr being our core with 6'5 mike Coleman & 6'3 'lean' walker we'll be alright in next couple yrs... Now in the other hand, who u rooting for cuz I dang sure know who you're hating on!! It's cool BIG GUT, keep sipp'n them Pepsi's biggin'!!!

-- Posted by He hate me on Thu, Oct 4, 2012, at 11:13 PM

He's really good if Parham guards him gonna be a long night for Parham.BTW i'm not bashing Parham.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 8:01 AM

Dyer County better have some guards and based on what I saw this summer, they don't. It will be tough to win in Tennessee though.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 8:39 AM

Caruthersville played against Dyer County last year. Hubbs is on another level compared to anyone from Semo. He will get his 40 points and several dunks. I don't think they have anyone else on the team that's really that good. Unless they went out and recruited someone, which they tend to do. Add in the fact that it's in Tennessee, expect Charleston to get hosed! Caruthersville plays them again this year

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 8:42 AM

And not knocking anyone on Charleston's team, they have no one who can guard him, not even Parham.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 8:43 AM

Its funny when you hear folks talking about how Charleston better enjoy this year because its all over afterwards. Seriously? 95% of the teams in this area would kill for Charleston's "bad" teams. Something tells me they will be just fine in the future....

-- Posted by gerardo on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 9:49 AM

Haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 10:03 AM

Thanks for the love, hoops. Just add about Dyer Co...the Hubbs kid is good. JT matched him tit for tat. The Dogs got out of there with a W even with the 15 handicap on the bench.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 2:25 PM

Cheese I hear you but parham is a strong kid, maybe grew & inch or two also... I'm not saying he'll stop this guy but control him, I don't care about a dunk, that's 2pts I'm comcerned about his taking over the game!!! Now I inderstand c'ville played them last yr & if they're guards were able to slow him down I'm sure parham would too...I think Ryan can guard him & will & who knows parham may show him up, I mean he has to play defense too... Usually guys make their name by taking on & shutting down the "4,5star recruits" lik hubbs! According to cheese, we might as well not show up.. Lol...

-- Posted by He hate me on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 6:30 PM

I think Parham is an excellent player plus he is a smart player. He was my favorite player on Charleston's team because how smart he played. Oh and I'm from Sikeston so even tho He Hate Me has nothing good to say about us luckily I think out of the box.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 6:44 PM

That's not true dude.. I have know, I personally know Ruffin & bratcher very nice respectable young men, but they also know its a rivalry... Cut- throat at its worse!! I respect sik players fan, but some I don't & I'm sure they know who they are,, but hey it's about not about the fans, it's all decided by our youth the fields & courts. Thanks though I think highly of parham he's a good kid & student... As is Ruffin & bratcher...

-- Posted by He hate me on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 8:29 PM

i'm gonna win it all

-- Posted by sawdust49 on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 9:25 PM

Parham is a phenomenal player and has always represented his school well.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 10:27 PM

"RELENTLESS EFFORT" ...remember that... Time will tell all.

-- Posted by TIDAL on Fri, Oct 5, 2012, at 10:47 PM

Karson King from jackson, and the Banks kid from Scott Central will be two of the best player in southeast missouri the next two years.

-- Posted by jayrod on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 9:46 AM

Not sure where you got that idea at He Hate Me. I never once said Charleston couldn't beat Dyer County. I just said that Hubbs is a very difficult person to defend and I don't think Charleston has anyone who can guard him. There is a reason he is a D-1 recruit. Charleston can beat Dyer County but seeing how it will be in Tennesse, be prepared to get screwed. I know this because I've seen it personally. Darrell Monroe was playing very good against them but the refs took him out of the game early, then Hubbs took over. Same will go for Charleston. If someone is getting the best of Dyer County, they will take him out of the game. Regardless, Hubbs will get his points. They don't like the style of defense Semo plays, so fouls will be called by plenty. You need to get that chip off your shoulder thinking everyone is against Charleston just because they have a different opinion that you do. Charleston is a great team, there is no denying that, but not everyone worships them like you do.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 10:53 AM

Cheesehead,

What do you think about the new coach at Caruthersville?

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 6:27 PM

Cheesehead,

What do you think about the new coach at Caruthersville?

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 6:27 PM

I honestly don't know. I don't know much about him other than he was from Caruthersville and he coached at Puxico. I guess we'll find out later this year.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 6, 2012, at 7:05 PM

Coach Heeb showed how much love he still has for all of his basketball players, he weathered the cold, windy and wet weather Friday night to watch the Tigers play football. I say his heart is still in Caruthesville and I am sure the players wished he was still there.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 2:12 PM

I met him last week for the first time. My son played the last two years for David. About half the boys like Heebs and the other half could not stand him and was glad to see him go. My son really liked Heebs, but has grown to like Coach Smith as well. The boys and my son really like Coach Smith a lot. They say that he is a lot different from Coach Heeb. According to the boys, they are both very demanding, but very different at the same time. Apparently, Coach Smith does not put up with behavior problems. Where as David was a win at all cost type of coach. Coach Smith seems to be a good guy. He relates to the boys very well. He grew up in the projects in the same hood as 95% of the boys. Other than myself, all the boys parents, uncles, etc grew up with him. He without a doubt has tremendous support from the community and administration, especially the african american community. Coach Heeb was a good coach, just didn't fit in. Bottom line, Coach Smith needs to win a conference title, district title, beat Charleston, or beat Kennett = things that Heeb could not do and did not do.

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 6:23 PM

I know Smith will have 2 years of good ballers, I want to see what he can develop out of scratch after the kids that are implemented now are gone. I have no idea of how Smith coaches but I know alot of these kids fundamentals and ball playing ability was coached into them by Heeb.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 7:02 PM

Your miss informed BasketballRim. Heeb didn't allow players to play for his team if they were getting in trouble or had bad grades. Let's take last years team for instance. I couldn't count the times he held people out of games because of it. Claude Taylor could have played last year but Coached refused to let him play because he was a bad seed and didn't want him to influence the team. Not sure what you were told but I know personally that is a false statement by you or by the person who told you. Heeb is a very good coach and most of the boys, at least the ones who got to play, loved playing for him. Apparently you know nothing about Heeb because he coached for SCC and Bell City, mostly "Hood" players. He also won a state title with Bell City.

That's careless saying he doesn't relate to the boys because he didn't grow up in the hood. Show's your short mindedness. Take Sikston's coach for instance. He didn't grow up in the hood and look how the boys respond to him? Had a team going 30-0. You don't have to be raised in the "Hood" to relate to high school kids. All you have to do is show you care, which Heeb did care. From reading your post, it sounds like you were the person who had a problem with Heeb. You bring up things Heeb didn't do, let's talk about the things he did do. He made Cville basketball relavent again. He had more wins in the last three years than Cville had a total of 6 or 7 years. He scheduled great teams like Sikeston,Earle,Dyer County,Bernie, and also got them in the Dyersburg Tourney where they finished first in last year. True couldn't beat Charleston but Charleston won state last year, they are the cream of the crop every year. They played Charleston within 6 in districts, played Sikeston within 8, sounds like he didn't something right!

I'm not going to blast Coach Smith because I know nothing of him. I hope he does turn out to be a good coach and get's us a title. I just find your comments a little childish and mis-informed!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 7:10 PM

I wasn't bashing David. I was a fan of his. As for coaching fundamentals into the players. We have a guy by the name of Coach Joe Cagle at the Jr. High level that happens to know how to coach fundamentals as well. Coach Cagle has been at Cville for 25 years. This group of boys that Heeb supposely develop went 34 - 0 in 7th and 8th grade with Joe Cagle. Darrel Monroe was Darrel Monroe before Heeb came to C'ville. Also, I didn't say Heeb could not relate to the players because he didn't grow up in the hood. I said Coach Smith grew up in the same projects or hood that these boys did. That brings a different kind of respect to him. Thats all. Not to mention, these boys dads, uncles, aunts, and community members all support Coach Smith because he is one of them. As for Taylor, Heeb went around town and collected donations to pay his fine. It was the Administration that would not let Taylor play. Another player, that I wont mention his name due to his privacy got in trouble with the law and Heeb went to the school board trying to get him to play.

I like Coach Heeb. I have nothing else to say.

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 8:35 PM

Cheese stfu... You worship Monroe like he's Bo Jackson in the 90's, yes I worship ctown jays... I'm from ctown so of course I do... You worship c'ville don't u? Ok then!! At least I have something to cheer about... We don't cheer about winning district lol... Btw I never said anything but if c'ville had somebody to defend him, I'm sure ctown will!!! Take it how u like biggin'

-- Posted by He hate me on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 8:48 PM

How about Class 1, District 1? Risco lost some key players to graduation, but so did North Pem and Gideon. Can one of those two teams break through this year to finally knock off Risco? I personally think Risco is still the favorite, but this might be Gideon's year.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 10:43 PM

I think North Pem lost to much. James Macklin was the man at NP. Their JV didn't have much either. I look for them to be down a lot this year. Don't know much about Gideon though. I think Risco should be the favorite to win. I'm very interested in Class 2 District 1. Talk about some loaded teams. Bernie,Hayti, Holcomb, and Portageville should all be in the running for that district, with Bernie being the favorite.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 10:53 PM

I think Gideon returns some players. I watched the Gideon - Risco game last year, it was a good one. I think it'll be even better this year!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 11:00 PM

some good players*

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 11:00 PM

I agree with you about North Pem, Cheesehead. May very well be a long season for the Mustangs. Does anybody know if Macklin is playing college ball anywhere?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Oct 7, 2012, at 11:07 PM

hehateme, Cheese said nothing about Darrell Monroe in his post. I think you need to just calm down man its just a forum where guys talk about local teams. You make yourself look like a total a-hole on here more often than not. I am sure you do not care though I am just stating the obvious.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 12:08 AM

It's cool beef. I've learned to ignore ignorance and he is full of that! When he can bring something more intelligent to the conversation, then I'll respond. Until then, his post are irrelevant to me.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 12:13 AM

Cheesebeef sounds like a San Francisco treat!!! Lol... I never said he talked about Monroe on this particular post beef... Beef let me ask u, does cheese tie Monroe's left shoe and u tie his right shoe right? Lol... Just kidding biggin' ( in my uncle Jessie voice)..

-- Posted by He hate me on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 1:08 AM

What's hilarious is that he gets put in his place by people like semohoops and Rocket and he keeps on coming back for more. They'll state fact after fact and he comes back with same old stuff about not celebrating district championships and how they will play anyone, anywhere. What's interesting is Charleston's football program is making positive strides towards relevance again, but you don't see anyone making fun of them for celebrating their accomplishments, big or small.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 8:59 AM

Preacher,

James Macklin is playing at TRC as a walkon

http://jucojunction.rivals.com/showmsg.a...

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 2:41 PM

Thanks for the update Catfish. I'm glad Macklin is playing somewhere; he is a special player.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 6:27 PM

I love how spread out Class 1 District 3 is.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 7:12 PM

Class 1 district 2 stretches from Essex to St Louis. Geographically speaking it makes no sense.

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Mon, Oct 8, 2012, at 7:22 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.