Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Cape Central vs Charleston

Posted by birdfan on Fri, Feb 10, 2012, at 11:06 PM:

Will be Senior Night in Charleston; last home game for Greg Tucker, Aaron Cassell, Jamaul Gray and Krushon Scott. How will they respond against a seemingly vastly improved Cape Central team? Remember, the Jays already have two wins over the Tigers, this season....will #3 just be too difficult to come by? A penny for your thoughts!!

Replies (47)

• Ctown by 15.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Feb 10, 2012, at 11:10 PM

Charleston by less than 10. Cape will keep it close based on their style of play and size advantage. The guard play of Charleston will come though in the end though

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Fri, Feb 10, 2012, at 11:19 PM
  • We don't play well at Charleston. Haven't any game that I've been there for at least. It will come down to how our guards do and if we get them in foul trouble. Cox and Tisdell will get theirs regardless.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 1:25 AM

CHARLESTON-77

CAPE CENTRAL-44

This is on the Jays home floor. I think the Jays will show the Tigers that they can't really play with them. D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-D-!!!!!!! FOCUS!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 7:23 AM

Great analysis, LU.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 7:32 AM
  • Your team plays as a team you will have no problem

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 8:16 AM
  • central is great at home but charleston is even better i see them showing up and showing out

-- Posted by cape222 on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 8:51 AM
  • semosports2 no one plays well in charleston lol

-- Posted by cape222 on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 9:04 AM

Is Tucker healthy from his hip injury.Cape played CHS well in the conferance tourney at SHS.They were even up 8 are so in the 4 quarter the collapse.That was on neutral floor.Goin to CHS nawwww..lol Tisdale will get his he is a good post player better than Tucker I think but that man D will pput Cape guards to flight.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 10:23 AM

Charleston Bluejays, the STATE TITLE is yours if you really want it. One game at a time. If you don't believe in that statement, take your jersey off and hand it to the manager.Coach Spencer used to tell us also, if you're not NERVOUS, then your not ready. Make sense?

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 11:58 AM

Don't over look ANYONE. 1996,CLASS 3A DISTRICTS versus Doniphan. Things didn't go good for us the entire game. Doniphan hit shot after shot, and we hit just anough BASKETS to stay in the game and finally took the lead. The Dons came down and hit a jumper and left us with only 7.2 seconds in the fourth quarter, and we had to go the entire length of the court.

CHARLESTON-57

DONIPHAN-58

4TH 7.2

PRESSURE, Ask Coach Farmer. I remember telling our D1 guard, Jeremy Biles, "Jeremy, this it man!" He put his head down and walked to the other end of the court along with a Don and the teamate passing the ball in. The Don fans and NMCC fans were in an uproar. Pass into Biles full speed ahead with his left hand, he jumps up for the shot finds Oliver underneath, lay up GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!! Jays take the lead but Doniphan has 2 seconds left.Yes, he made that happen in 5 seconds, true story. I thought Allen Iverson was fast, wooooooo!! Final shot by the Dons was off and Jays survive the biggest upset in the entire state of Missouri in 1996. So people say we were harboring an over confident mentality. If we were, it went out of the window, because we smashed NMCC the next night and eventually went to Columbia and won state over the defending state champs, Mexico Bulldogs 61--54 with 2 D1 players on their roster.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 12:17 PM
  • Don't count your chickens before they hatch. Charleston has some of the same issues that Sikeston has, lack of size in the post positions. Charleston will also have difficulty playing teams from up north that have legitimit big men.

-- Posted by Highriser on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 1:00 PM

You may be correct, however remember that Charleston has faced teams with much larger players all season long and you see the result, thus far. Same thing was said, last year, when Charleston didn't have a man over 6'2" and they placed 3rd in Columbia.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 1:11 PM
  • That's right birdfan, they took 3rd place. That's not winning it all.

-- Posted by Highriser on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 1:19 PM

And, that was last year....returned practically the entire team from last year

-- Posted by birdfan on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 1:24 PM

Charlestons post players height during championship seasons. 6'6" Iric Farmer, 6'1" Diondray Foster, 6'3" Lamont Fraizer, 6'2" Marcus Williams, 6'2" Thomas Standback, 6'3" Cedric Rodgers, 6'3" Marcus Emanuel, 6'2" Rashad Oliver, 6'2" Rico Sinks, 6'2" Corey Kent, 6'2" Jamarcus Williams, 6'3"Jerrel Quin. These are the ones i do remember, i dont remember the ones from the early 80's and late 70's. The teams post players Charleston beat in title games. Mexico 6'3"/6'3"/6'4, Soldan 6'9"/6'9/6'9"",Pembroke Hill 6'7" 1/2/6'6", don't recall Eldons, Marshfield 6'3'/6'3", Fulton 6'5"/6'3", and note some teams made it with the same height the Jays had, but the difference was the guard play.Carlos Mcauley, Corey Fraizer, Ricky Jamison, Favis Wilson, Jeremy Biles, Larico Colemen, Shawn Sherrel, Tony Riggens, Greg Davis, Corey Anderson, and now Ryan Parham, Chris Cassel, Greg Tucker.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 3:45 PM

We as Jay fans shouldn't go back and forth with the height subject, because we have played the David and Goliath game numerous times.Umph,THAT DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 3:48 PM

Our mascot should be the Charleston Davids, a man with a sling shot in his hand, with a ball in the sling,LOL!!

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 3:49 PM
  • I will say it once again. Charleston will have difficulty playing against D1, legitimit "Big" men from up North. In saying that, I would like to see all the premier teams from the Bootheel bring home the "Championship."

-- Posted by Highriser on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 4:27 PM

We will see, but we have to make it first!! Upsets happen!But, LETS GO BLUE, LETS GO BLUE!!!!! We have the same team from last year and lost to the Champs in overtime. Hogan Prep was a lot taller.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 4:33 PM

@ scott1130, you may be right, but what will the other teams have to worry about against us?

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 5:11 PM

In '96, Ritter had a 6'7" guard by the name of Chris Carawell who went to Duke and was ACC Player of the Year as a senior. When Charleston played them, he couldn't hardly get the ball down the court without Jeramy Biles picking his pocket. Charleston beat that Ritter team that also had Wake Forest signee and future Arizona 7'1" center, Loren Woods.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 6:00 PM
  • Big men up north don't see on a nightly basis the type of defense that charleston will bring. With that being said, Charleston could lose. I can tell you this though. The Bluejays have not won 10 state championships and defeated numerous top nationaly ranked teams over the past 30 years or so due to having a size advantage. I dont see this team fairing any differently than those of the past... IMO!

-- Posted by gerardo on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 7:08 PM
  • i will take charleston by 12

-- Posted by kmasters on Sat, Feb 11, 2012, at 11:00 PM
  • Cape will win by 10+ with their subs in the last quaarter.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Sun, Feb 12, 2012, at 4:55 AM
  • haha, looks like pete made it an all-nighter..

-- Posted by gerardo on Sun, Feb 12, 2012, at 7:38 AM

After having seen both teams all season, I have to give the slight edge to Charleston just on strength of schedule. If the only loss of the year is in single-digits to a pretty-darn good West Memphis (AR) club, rounded up with winning all three of your tournaments, among them the always-tough Superman in Illinois, I'd say this is a prime time to show folk why you're #1.

Add to the fact that the Blue Jays vanquished state champ Sikeston TWICE ON SIKESTON'S HOME COURT, this might be a special run. Doniphan might be a trap game, but it wouldn't hurt losing to them if that indeed happen. That would just make the Jays angrier. They play better when they're angry...

Lest we forget, this game with Central IS for the SEMO Conference championship.

-- Posted by vincebrown on Sun, Feb 12, 2012, at 10:22 AM
  • Yes, we beat Sikeston but Charleston is at a different level. We play at Charleston on their floor , we play them close but lose by 10.

-- Posted by tlks2much on Sun, Feb 12, 2012, at 10:42 AM
  • Central by 4, Tisdell and Cox combine for 40

-- Posted by CTalum5 on Mon, Feb 13, 2012, at 2:54 PM
  • Charleston and Sikeston are two very evenly matched teams this year. Lots of similarities. Charleston won both games, but both were tremendous games down to the wire and could have gone either way. But Cape is going to Charleston and I honestly can't remember the last time Cape beat Charleston on the road.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Feb 13, 2012, at 3:00 PM

If Central can feed Tisdell the rock, and get the Jays in foul trouble, like they did Sikeston, Central can most def with this game. The Jays are not unbeatable, just pretty close to it lol. Still when all is said and done, I'd take the Jays to win on Senior night in a close one. 75-71.. Tucker wins this game with clutch free throws.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Feb 13, 2012, at 3:02 PM
  • slick 50, I like my chances against the Jays.lol. Had a few of young Jays over to my moms house Saturday night talking hoops. Told them to not get caught up in the hype of rankings and records thats a recipe for disaster come playoff time.

My dream is to see us(MRH) and the Jays in the ship. We are starting to play some good ball right now, shaking off the football rust completely. We are taking it one game at a time and not over looking anyone. We still have bitter taste in our mouths from last years district championship lost to Ritter in OT. So we gladly accept the underdog role.

Thats why we play each game. Good luck to my Jays and all class 3 teams.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Feb 13, 2012, at 3:04 PM

Just like with Sikeston, Cape wants a low scoring game. Charleston plays good D but the Cape D is underrated in my opinion. Charleston is versatile and would do better to pick up a high tempo. I'd say Jays by 10. No team has defeated Cape by more than 11 this year.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Feb 13, 2012, at 3:07 PM
  • Not going to happen CT. Most area highschool teams are simply intimidated playing in the Jay's nest, don't ask me why? Charleston's man to man defense will be more effective against Cape, simply because the defense is not just standing around, as they would if Charleston played a zone. This will effect the Cape's guards, who can't handle constant pressure, and Tisdell will have dribble to create a shot, and not just be able to put the ball up, over the smaller Jay's post men.

-- Posted by Highriser on Mon, Feb 13, 2012, at 3:12 PM
  • Tisdell has been catching the ball in the high post or baseline and making a move to get to the basket quite often lately. My personal opinion is that Greg might try to do a little too much on senior night. But in saying that, if he's on then it'll be tough to stop while if he's off then it could hurt them. He hasn't shot the ball great against us this year but Cassel and Parham have been killers. In our two previous match ups with them the pressure didn't bother is a lot, at least not to the extent that sikestons first half pressure did.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Mon, Feb 13, 2012, at 3:28 PM

Michael Hull could fill that void too for the Jays.

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Mon, Feb 13, 2012, at 3:34 PM
  • chs2mrh I would love to see your team and the jays battle it out for the right to go to Columbia. It's always been a good game and I know that you will have your team ready for that one. Good luck the rest of the way and can't wait for you and the jays to play again. this is one of your biggest fans in se mo. you can maybe guess who

-- Posted by runner50 on Mon, Feb 13, 2012, at 6:13 PM

The way the bracket is set up, it won't be a matter of a possible matchup to see who goes to CoMo; if a matchup should occur, it will be in CoMO.

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Feb 14, 2012, at 6:20 AM
  • Appreciate that runner50 and Slick 50. Lets play ball

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Tue, Feb 14, 2012, at 9:03 AM

CHARLESTON-76

CAPE CENTRAL-55

-- Posted by 11TIMEST.CHMPS@BLUEJAYS on Tue, Feb 14, 2012, at 9:25 AM
  • I happened to officiate both Charleston vs. Cardinal Ritter and Portageville vs. Cardinal Ritter, two fantastic games and tremendous efforts by both bootheel underdogs. I remember my partner(from St. Louis) saying that the SEMO area teams had no chance because of all the D-1 recruits that Ritter had. I said we shall see! Don't underestimate any teams from down here. He(the other ref) after the game couldn't believe the tenacity and ball pressure put on by CHS and PHS. Great games and fun to call.

-- Posted by semo ref on Tue, Feb 14, 2012, at 9:55 AM
  • Bluejays by 15

-- Posted by bballfan71 on Tue, Feb 14, 2012, at 10:05 AM
  • I'll say Cape Central 61, Charleston 53.

-- Posted by gianthook on Wed, Feb 15, 2012, at 7:06 AM

Great call, gianthook....lol

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Feb 15, 2012, at 7:09 AM
  • great win to the cape tigers job well done ya have done something that nobody could do all year from the semo area you beat the bluejays at their place and that is very hard to do,kudos

-- Posted by kmasters on Wed, Feb 15, 2012, at 8:02 AM
  • LOL, birdfan, I couldn't resist!

-- Posted by gianthook on Wed, Feb 15, 2012, at 11:13 AM
  • Give old Pete some love. Picked Cape by 10+ and got laughed at. Missed the score, got the win.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Wed, Feb 15, 2012, at 7:51 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: