High School Basketball Forum: Official Sideline Starter Top Ten-01/15/12

Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 6:02 PM:

The computer is down today so I'm doing this from the iPhone. Thus, please excuse a couple of spelling/grammatical errors due to a lack of ability to properly edit. I apologize ahead of time. Anyway, we are back again with another week of rankings and two scores were settled while a new one was formed. Let's begin with the only spot that is obvious and unchanging from week to week.

1) Charleston-The Bluejays continued to roll with another big win over area foe Scott County Central Friday. Things get dicey this week with a full slate for the Jays between the Superman Classic and a matchup with Caruthersville. If there is a week to expect the Jays to potentially stumble, this is it. (Previous Ranking: 1)

2) Sikeston-The Red Dogs were able to once again create separation from their Catholic counterpart this week with a win over previous Class 4 Number 1 and unbeaten Desoto. The Dogs have some interesting matchups this week with both Farmington and Kennett at home. (Previous Ranking: T-2)

3) Notre Dame-The Blue Dogs regress a spot due to Sikeston getting another impressive win. However, they continue to play well and should not be doubted. Nathan Meystedt and company are a strong foe in the SEMO area. (Previous Ranking: T-2)

4) Caruthersville-The Tigers maintain their slot once again and have the biggest opportunity to make a jump this week. With a matchup with #1 Charleston looming Friday, there could be a new top team come next week. (Previous Ranking: 4)

5) Jackson-Some may object that Cape defeated Jackson in the Christmas tourney. However, the Indians are hitting their stride while Cape continues to blow close games. For the week, Jackson takes the lead though look for the battle between they and Cape to continue as the season does. (Previous Ranking: T-5)

6) Cape Central-The Tigers took a hard fought loss to Eisenhower out of Illinois last night in a game that those attending are calling a classic. The loss to a similar team is enough to drop Cape for the moment. As stated above, the shifting between Cape and Jackson isn't over yet. (Previous Ranking: T-5)

7) Kennett-The Boys in the Bootheel continue their post-Christmas run and have the opportunity to show just how competitive they can be in a loaded Class 3 with a matchup with Sikeston and the BCT coming soon. (Previous Ranking: 7)

8) Portageville-The Bulldogs continue to be the area Class 2 favorites. Look for them to get some more experience against large schools with the upcoming BCT. (Previous Ranking: 8)

9) Perryville-The Pirates maintain due to a lack of seizing the spot from the teams behind them. If/When Moldenhauer returns, this team will be competitive. (Previous Ranking: 9)

10) Risco-Don't have a freakout SCC fans! Risco holds on to this spot this week even with a loss to Meridian due to the competition they are providing even without three varsity players. Let's be honest. Neither SCC nor Risco has that true quality win that separates one from the other. With the Scott-Miss tourney and a game against Sturgeon this week, SCC could seize this spot next week. (Previous Ranking: 10)

Honorable Mentions (in alphabetical order): Doniphan, Poplar Bluff, Scott County Central

Look for changes next week though the teams that could be considered for the list continues to really dwindle (Doniphan is holding on by a thread). As teams continue to solidify their spots, more and more potential wins look like they could be upsets. As always, I appreciate the feedback and discussion. See you next week. Thanks.

Replies (61)

• Sideline Semoball has Cape as winning Saturday.

-- Posted by scuddog52 on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 6:18 PM

Caruthersville plays Dyer County tomorrow. They are ranked #114 in the nation and #3 overall in Tn. Play Charleston Friday! If they can get at least one win this week, that will say something

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 6:21 PM

Scuddog, just saw that. You are right. Got some bad info earlier today on that game. Doesn't change what I believe though which is that Jackson is still my #5. They have impressed me more lately. Also, that game puts Eisenhower at 4-13. I don't care how strong your schedule is, that is not an impressive record.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 6:21 PM
  • Sideline, a 4-13 record is not very good, did not know they had lost that many.

-- Posted by scuddog52 on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 6:34 PM

Scuddog, those are the numbers I got from Maxpreps adding in the Cape game that had not been reported. Can't say they haven't played more games or not but those scores are correct so they have at least thirteen losses either way.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 6:36 PM

Cheese, is the Dyer County game home or away?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 6:37 PM

In Memphis at the FedEx Forum

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 6:37 PM

Dang Sideline, I'm no English major, but I sure wish I could do that well on my Droid!

8 minutes...

:)

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 6:43 PM

Out of curiosity, sideline, if C'ville should beat the Jays, who would be your new #1? Particularly, in light of the fact that Charleston has beaten both Sikeston and Notre Dame twice, this year.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 6:54 PM

Birdfan, I have no clue. If Caruthersville wins by fifteen or something (not calling it), they would probably take it. If Caruthersville wins, even close, they will probably overtake #2 at least. Again, it all depends on the score, etc. They Tigers play Sikeston the week after as well so Caruthersville has a big chance to impress over the next two weeks.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 6:57 PM

So, you are saying if C'ton loses, they will definitely fall from the top spot although it would be only their first loss to a Missouri team. I understand your saying it depends on how the game with C'ville transpires, but there's no way Sikeston or ND should jump over C'ton should they lose to C'ville.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 7:02 PM

But, of course, your poll is just your opinion, for whatever it's worth.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 7:03 PM

I'm saying Caruthersville would jump everyone to #1 if they get a convincing victory potentially. Sikeston nor Notre Dame would pass Charleston unless the Jays took a few losses, had a few injuries, etc.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 7:06 PM

Sorry, sideline....I read something into your statement that you didn't say. No where did you say that C'ton would fall from #1 should they suffer a loss. So, we shall all wait and see what happens this week and next. ;-)

-- Posted by birdfan on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 7:08 PM

You know how I am birdfan. I have personal rooting interest in Sikeston above all others but I try to take any sort of rooting bias out of my poll and will continue to do that.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 7:17 PM
  • Prior to the season it was Charleston, Sikeston, and Cville in everybodys area rankings. In the next 2 weeks we should see all of that sorted out with Cville having a chance to settle all of this on the court.

-- Posted by gocvilletigers on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 7:48 PM
  • Where and when is the Charleston and Cville game ?

-- Posted by jpaawhite on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 8:03 PM

At Charleston, on Friday the 20th

-- Posted by birdfan on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 8:33 PM
  • This man typed an incredibly lengthy post from an IPHONE and all you can think about is rankings?! Shame!

Seriously though, looks good once again sideline. If Cville beats Ctown, I can't see how that doesn't put them at number 1. They're already number 4, it's not like they'd be making a huge jump. Leave Charleston, SHS, and ND in the same order, just drop them all one spot.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 8:37 PM

Farm do you think he could type a post about sitting in a park and watching the ducks from his Iphone. (obscure reference for those that have been around awhile)

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 8:43 PM
  • That would be a big win for Cville against a pretty good Dyer County team at the Fex Ex Forum. Although playing in Tennessee always concerns me. Hard to get a fair shake out of state. Not to mention Dyer County has always brought in talent from other areas and other schools, including their best player who came from Mississippi. Maybe Tennessee plays by different rules in regards to transfers. It's always been pretty fishy down there. So good luck Cville. You've got a lot of factors working against you in this one.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 8:48 PM

I've always heard their coach is a good recruiter.

-- Posted by birdfan on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 8:51 PM

Larry, the Duck Variations!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 9:13 PM

Or Holden Caulfield!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 9:15 PM

I don't think anyone is expecting to see Caruthersville beat Dyer County. With their history, and where it's played, just us staying within 20 will be a victory to me! But, you just never know, that's why they play the game. Good Luck to my boys tomorrow! Enjoy the exp at playing in the FedEx Forum! Big game Friday Night!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 9:27 PM

I was at FedEx Forum for one of the games in the Grizzlies-Spurs series and the place was electric. Good luck to the Tigers. Win or lose, that is a game you don't forget.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 10:45 PM
  • I only post on those site from my DROID so I understand your worry with grammatical errors.

Quick question, how exactly do you say cape is falling. They still only have 4 losses: 2 to Charleston, 1 to ND, and I'm drawing a blank on the other right now. I agree with you about jackson, they are making some incredible progress. I would at least have them tied, I just don't see how jackson could take the lead without beating a very good team this week. I don't care what eisenhowers record is they were a very good team. It was the nest game I've seen central play this year and they only won by a point. I don't know, may e I'm just being a bit too biased, but I was just looking for a bit more info on your decision on cape and jackson.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 11:06 PM
  • Perryville won the Chester Ill. tourney this week,had Weibrecht playing on bad ankle and Dobblelare sick with flu all week. would say they had a pretty good week considering. Jackson and Cape play one more time before districts. I believe Jackson plays Bluff Tues and plays at Lindbergh this week in a tourney,schedule is getting tougher.

-- Posted by objective fan on Sun, Jan 15, 2012, at 11:26 PM

SemoSports, between the recent loss and the close win against a team that was 4-12 coming in coupled with the way Jackson hasn't lost since Christmas and is finding a rhythm, I thought it was enough for them to flip this week. Also, I really kind of hate doing the ties. I know they looked to play very well against Eisenhower but that record is just not great. I don't care how strong their competition is which we don't even know where that is at. I respect your disagreeance and can understand where one may take umbrage but I think that enough is there to justify the change.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 1:36 AM
  • Alright, thanks for the reasoning. I'll just wait for the next meeting, I have a feeling this team will pick it up towards the end like last year.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 11:02 AM

The reason I like Sidelines Top Ten is because he gives his reason as to why he picked them for that spot. Although, I don't agree with all of them, he gives his reasoning and you have to respect that.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 11:26 AM

I agree Cheese. That's a lot easier to do with a Top 10 than it would be with a Top 25.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 11:44 AM

Well usually after the top 10, the rest is usually just a big toss up anyway. No reason to go past 10 IMO

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 11:49 AM
  • i would have nd number 2 and sikeston number 3 but overall a hell of a job,imo, i know heeb, and he will have them boys hooping,but they better cause charleston is the real deal this year just like scc has been in the past 3 years.does anybody now what the worst record has been and won state? just wondering,and by the way i like sikeston so dont kill me for my thoughts lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 6:24 PM

You're good kmasters. Thanks for not being upset over the SCC and Risco decision. The way I figure Sikeston and ND is that they have three similar losses (two to Charleston and one to each other) but ND has two other losses under their belt, one quality (Borgia), one not as much (NMCC). Meanwhile, Sikeston has taken out DeSoto who hadn't yet lost and did it at their place. Plus, they've defeated Imagine. That's just my thinking on the matter. I respect a different thought process though.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 6:45 PM
  • doesnt upset me sideline lol,we will see in march who is better lol, i want all classes to be represented from semo at state we have very good teams down here and it shows,but do you know who has the worst record and won state just wondering?

-- Posted by kmasters on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 8:03 PM
  • i would rather not be ranked in these polls and win state,than be on hear crying why my team is higher just saying lol good job though

-- Posted by kmasters on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 8:04 PM
  • should said isnt higher, my bad lol now thats old school hahahahahahahaha

-- Posted by kmasters on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 8:08 PM
  • Dyer County thrashed Cartuehrsville.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 8:09 PM

As they would anyone else in Semo

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 8:51 PM
  • I know Dyer County is talented, but bring them on this side of the river and lets see how they would fare. They came over 4 or 5 years ago and lost to Advance. I doubt they ever come back over here.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 9:30 PM
  • The team with the worst record that won a state title was Vashon in the early 80s. They went 12-16 I think and won the 4A state title. That means they went into district play with about 6 wins.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 9:31 PM

Like you said, that was 4-5 years ago.. Completely different team they have now. I have my opinion and I say they would beat anyone in Semo, here or there. We will just have to agree to disagree on this

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 9:54 PM
  • No, I'm not saying they wouldn't. I know exactly the players they have. I just would like to see them come over here with SEMO refs and SEMO fans. That's all. But more importantly, I'd like to see them play with their own players instead of studs moving in. I'd really like to see that.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 9:58 PM

Oh I definitely agree with you there. Must be nice to hand pick who you want to play for you.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 10:00 PM

Must be a loose definition of county.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 16, 2012, at 10:08 PM
  • There is open enrollment over there in TN so what happens is those kids move in during middle school or their freshman year. Literally every kid on the DC roster is a move in including Hubbs whose father was hired as a coach to bring him in. And you can't even compare summer ball to regular season ball. At Dexter every team was playing 3-4 games a day plus who knows if teams are playing in another league at the same time etc. As a result kids are dead legged in the summer and don't play as hard it is a running clock and there are camp rules like a point for a foul etc. It isn't even the same. DC has only lost one game this season and that was to a top 25 team in the nation by 6 points.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:03 AM
  • I think risco won the one at dexter with the fewest ammount of players! They have less than fifty kids in high school. Thirty of thise either play basketball or cheerlead. Guess they need open enrollment!

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Tue, Jan 17, 2012, at 8:20 AM
  • I was glad to see the Poplar Bluff / Jackson results. A little backing for Bluff's honorable mention.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Wed, Jan 18, 2012, at 8:09 AM
  • oh my how will the polls change....hahahaha

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 10:48 PM
  • thanks semo ,that is amazing to have a record like that and win state

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Jan 20, 2012, at 11:04 PM
  • Can't wait to see the next top 10, should be an interesting one!

-- Posted by bleacherking on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 4:04 PM

In regards to SCC and Risco; it will be interesting to see how Sideline ranks theses two teams now. Yes, SCC won the Scott-Miss tourney but they turn right around and loose to a school that is smaller than Class 3(first time in three years). Inturn, Risco looses to Holcomb ( a team that did not even make his Honorable Mention's list.

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 5:10 PM
  • But holcomb has only lost four games all to ranked teams i think! Kennett risco portageville and i cant remember the other! There really a great team. Were ranked fourth in state at first of the season! Dont ever count them out!

-- Posted by proud pa pa on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 5:35 PM

There will be some shifting in tomorrow's polls.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 5:42 PM
  • Proud pa pa

Holcombs other loss was to Bernie in the BCT.

Who did SCC lose to?

-- Posted by dont worry on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 5:50 PM
  • scc will not go to state this year if they keep playing like they are....... period..... coach better do something different, but he wont,we need marcus to come home and take this team,at least he wont be scared of the kids,and yes i said this and yes my name is on here

-- Posted by kmasters on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 11:00 PM

Wow, Kmasters, tell us how you really feel!

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Sat, Jan 21, 2012, at 11:51 PM
  • lol it is what it is,lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Sun, Jan 22, 2012, at 12:01 AM
  • you are correct kmasters,i hear scc cant even pass a drug test

-- Posted by big_daddy1694 on Sun, Jan 22, 2012, at 12:15 AM
  • Don't think Holcomb lost to Kennett.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Sun, Jan 22, 2012, at 12:17 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: