3. Drexel (23-6)

4. Risco (20-8)

5. Braymer (15-10)

6. Leopold (22-7)

7. South Iron(20-8)

8. Oak Ridge(23-6)

9. North Pemiscot (21-5 )

10. Meadville (22-4 )

Others receiving votes: Chadwick, Chamois, Climax Springs, Leeton, Glasgow, Eminence, Novinger, La Plata, Gilman City

CLASS 2

1. Billings (22-4)

2. Norwood (20-8)

3. New Haven (24-5)

4. Wellington Napoleon (27-2)

5. Lone Jack (19-8)

6. Salisbury (27-2)

7. Sturgeon(22-6)

8. Holcomb(18-9)

9. Sacred Heart (25-3)

10. Miller (21-5)

Others receiving votes: Fayette, DeKalb, Thayer, Bernie, Wheaton, Portageville, Crane, Archie

CLASS 3

1. Hogan Prep (23-8)

2. Cardinal Ritter (26-4)

3. Charleston (25-6)

4. O'Hara (21-6)

5. Elsberry (26-6)

6. Lutheran North (18-8)

7. Maplewood (17-12)

8. Blair Oaks (25-4)

9. Strafford (26-4 )

10. Hamilton (Penney) (27-2 )

Others receiving votes: Cameron, Caruthersville, Whitfield, Mt. Vernon, Bayless, California, Southwest, Seymour, Marion C. Early, Licking

CLASS 4

1. Sikeston (30-0)

2. Soldan (23-7)

3. Hillcrest (23-5)

4. Lafayette (St. Joe) 22-10)

5. Logan Rogersville (22-5)

6. Grandview KC (18-9)

7. Imagine College Prep (12-13)

8. Helias (19-8)

9. DeSoto (15-11 )

10. Platte County (17-6 )

Others receiving votes: Liberty North, Harrisonville, Mexico, Cape Notre Dame, Duchesne

CLASS 5

1. McCluer (18-10)

2. Nixa (21-6)

3. Hazelwood Central (26-2)

4. DeSmet (23-6)

5. Lee's Summit North (22-7)

6. Rock Bridge (24-6)

7. Glendale (23-4)

8. Webster Groves (24-5)

9. Marquette (18-11 )

10. Blue Springs South (20-8 )

Others receiving votes: Troy, Parkway South, CBC, Truman, Kickapoo, Rockhurst, McCluer North

Replies (23)

I'm a little surprised that neither Bernie nor Portageville were able to crack the top ten yet Holcomb was. I know Holcomb is going to be good but I don't consider them the favorite of those three to make the playoffs. I'm also surprised by the lack of votes for last year's Class 5 state champion in McCluer North. I know BJ Young played a major part in the run that team took, but they have a solid coach and bring back some good pieces including Jordon Granger. I'd say Caruthersville continues to run under the radar in relation to the rest of the state and that the assumption is that District 1 is Charleston's to lose. It stinks for them that being in a media deadzone and having a top three (perhaps the top) team for their class in their district is leading to them getting overlooked. However, I know how that team embraces the underdog role. It is good to see a lot of SEMO teams getting recognized including many in Class 1. I'd say our area has been the top area in the state when it comes to producing competitive basketball teams in the last couple of years and I see that run continuing this year. I can see SEMO teams being major players in the title chase in at least three classes (Class 1, 3, and 4) this year, perhaps all five. I'm excited for the season to get underway in full. Anybody who is at the Riverbend Friday, I'll be there. What does everyone else think?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 3:45 AM
  • On the Class 4 front....I'm surprised no one mentioned Borgia and probably as equally as surprised that Cape ND even got votes. From what I hear....even from the ND faithful, ND is going to be down. Oh well....it's just a preseason poll. Buuuuuutttttttt......it is sweet to be sitting atop the heap!!!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 8:23 AM

Pretty cool that two schools within 8 miles of each other went a combined 59-2 last season. I didn't think of that until I just saw both records in the same list. I wonder how often it's happened where schools so close have been so dominant.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 8:38 AM

The main difference I see between this year and last year is that they actually run halfcourt sets. They actually have plays. Last year they seemed out of control and confused on offense.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 9:23 AM

It's no biggie that Cville isn't ranked. They just have to go out and earn the respect of everyone. They haven't won anything yet as a team and most everyone in our area is going by potential. Come Jan. they will play a tough schedule and if they come away with some quality wins then they will get the attention of voters. I'm a big believer in earning your stripes, not just going by what people think you can do. This team has all the potential in the world, now it's just time for them to show it.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 10:04 AM

I bet C'ville will be ranked when it matters the most, at the end.

-- Posted by Sweet Chuck on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 10:06 AM
  • Wow!! Once again the boothell gets disrespected i think everybody knows c'ville has the talent and potential to win a state title in 3a GO TIGER'S go out and prove ur a top 5 team in 3a like u should be ranked...

-- Posted by sherman on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 1:55 PM
  • Their lists have always been worthless!

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 2:12 PM
  • It's just a preseason ranking. It means nothing, I hope you people realize that.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 2:13 PM
  • I'm with you Rocket...surprised Borgia got no votes, and more surprised that ND did. Might be a few years before the ND-Sikeston rivalry lives up to what it has been over the past several years.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 2:27 PM
  • I want to add this since I accidently sent it before I was finished. I am not trying to start an argument, but rather no reason to get heated or upset that someone did or didn't get ranked. The good teams will be ranked at the end when it matters. Goodluck to all teams.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 2:32 PM
  • I certainly realize it is a preseason ranking. However, it is a coaches poll. They are typically the ones that know about the teams. I even said "it is a preseason poll" in my earlier post...... Go Dogs!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 3:15 PM

Porter will be on ESPN today at 4 against #8 Memphis

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 3:28 PM
  • I was more talking to the people who said this...

Their lists have always been worthless!

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 2:12 PM

and

Wow!! Once again the boothell gets disrespected i think everybody knows c'ville has the talent and potential to win a state title in 3a GO TIGER'S go out and prove ur a top 5 team in 3a like u should be ranked...

-- Posted by sherman on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 1:55 PM

I am sorry if you felt like the post was directed towards you in anyway.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 3:34 PM
  • Wow, I don't know why I put "more talking", definitely meant "talking more"..

-- Posted by sm0723 on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 3:35 PM

I thought it was ESPN2 but either way he is on one of the ESPN networks...

He is playing some quality minutes for the Hoyas and producing more and more every game. He just seems to be getting his feet wet and adapting to the college speed of the game. I think he will continue to be one of the more productive freshman the rest of the season.

Keep up the good work BUBBA!!!

-- Posted by Haterade on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 3:37 PM

Apparently, some of the fans over on the STL board take umbrage to the fact that Sikeston got the #1 spot. I know Soldan is loaded but I'd say the 30-0 state champs who return many key contributors deserve it.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 6:58 PM
  • He gets the ball plenty he just chooses to pass it off, his assists prove that. As he develops more onto a college player I see him taking the ball to the basket instead of passing around the perimeter. It looks like he is still a little timid. Looks a little like he doesn't want to take a shot he might miss or drive in and get blocked. I've seen every game so far and he is getting a little more aggressive every time.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 7:04 PM

Sikeston deserves the #1 ranking until someone beats them, plain and simple! I don't pay them people on Stltoday any attention.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 7:32 PM
  • Holcomb Risco in the Bernie Finals if this poll means anything. Not sure how Holcomb got there but Risco is the real deal.

-- Posted by bballfan40 on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 11:19 PM
  • I guess I shouldn't say timid, but more just not as aggressive yet. There have been a few times when he could've gotten the rebound but let his teammate have it. He's been open from mid range a few times and chose to pass it off instead of taking it to the hole or putting it up. Like I said, he will get more aggressive with time.

I also don't think his teammates are being selfish, Georgetown has one of the top assists per game stats in basketball right now. Don't get me wrong though, they've taken some ill-advised shots but 10/13 players are sophomores or freshmen.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Wed, Nov 23, 2011, at 11:30 PM
  • in class one drexel has a talented team. they are big and athletic. in class two billings returns a lot of talent. ive been told by some people ut west that they dont guard much. that may change though. thayer is easily a top ten team as well.

-- Posted by GSP on Fri, Nov 25, 2011, at 6:49 PM
  • Anybody got an idea of the girls rankings?? Anyone?

-- Posted by Proud65 on Fri, Nov 25, 2011, at 7:07 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: