Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Sikeston Bulldogs Hoops 2011-2012

Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 10:16 AM:

Coming off an amazing 30-0 state championship season, the Bulldogs are poised to make another run.

Last year at this time, I gave my thoughts on the team and look what happened. Who am I to change things??? Ha!

The Dogs will employ the same strategy as last year....press you until you can't take it, then press some more. On the O side, this team is filled with shooters....possibly a better shooting TEAM than last year. There are some names that will be new to those who are not Sikeston faithful, but you will know them before the season is over....I promise.

Terry Jamison - team leader; point guard; one of the best finishers (at the rim) in the area; one of the top shooters on the team; excellent defender; can handle the rock; great rebounder for size; looks to distribute

Vashawn Ruffin - #2 guard and will run point; excellent shooter - one of our best; great handles; very good on ball defender; tenacious on top of press; looks to score on every trip

Kilron Coleman - #4 position; VERY strong; another excellent shooter, but even better at going to the rack; dominant rebounder; runs top of press....WATCH OUT!; great passer

Caleb McGee - #3 position; possibly the strongest player on the team; streaky shooter and can fill it up when he gets hot; provides "muscle" on D; excellent defender

Keldon Warfield - #5 post; probably the most athletic player on the team; great passer - great outlet pass; killer 12-15 jumper; can get to the rack; dominant rebounder; excellent defender

Markeith Bratcher - will provide low block and wing help; GREAT shooter (possibly the prettiest shot on the team); provides energy off the bench; can play on top of press and WEAR YOU OUT; immediate O off the bench

JT Jones (sophomore) - will provide low block help; better guard him on the break cause he can shoot the 3!!!; always in the right place; excellent D; looks to score

Reese Porter (sophomore) - more help on the low block and wing; very athletic; looks to score; excellent defender as well

Cord Sheehy - guard off the bench; very heady; always in the right spot; excellent passer; does the little things that don't show up in the box score; great defender; don't sag on him....he will drop a 3!

Kyland Gross - immediate speed and energy off the bench; jumper is really getting good; probably the fastest player on the team; extremely athletic; unrelenting defender on press

Jeterrence Harris and Jarius Ray....both underclassmen....very good athletes; provide immediate D off the bench

Oh yeah (ha!).....the masterminds of the "system"....Coach Holifield and Coach James. These guys are undoubtedly two of finest coaches in the area and state. They "eat, sleep, and drink" Bulldog basketball. They teach discipline, hard work, and effort.....ALL THE TIME. While trying to mold basketball players, they are also trying to mold great young men. They provide the poise and leadership needed of great teams. The junior high coaches....Coach Sarakas and Coach James....."carry the mail" by teaching the "system."

Bulldog Nation is looking forward to an exciting hoops season! I believe the team is poised and ready to make another deep playoff run. Go Dogs!!!!!!!

Replies (48)

• One change....Coach Sarakas coaches the 9th graders, Coach James (Derek) coaches the 8th graders and Coach Voorhees coaches the 7th graders. Sorry for the error.....my editor didn't catch it! Ha! Anyway....all of the coaches do a great job teaching the "system." Go Dogs!!!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 10:29 AM

That is a pretty good write-up Rocket!!! I told you I would be here today and I didn't disappoint! haha Good stuff! Yea man, get that stuff RIGHT about the Junior High coaches over there at SMS!! I know of one guy who would take it out on you on the COURT for that typo!!LOL

-- Posted by Sweet Chuck on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 10:37 AM

Nice write-up on their strengths.... looks to be an exciting team to watch.

Soo... what are their weaknesses?

-- Posted by secretagentman on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 10:57 AM

Weaknesses are the off season leadership!

Just can't find anyone to help them develope during the off season!

-- Posted by Haterade on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 11:15 AM

Can't wait to get to see them play first hand this season. Watched them on the MSHSAA website in the title game and they looked great! If they are anything like they were last year, could be a repeat run

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 11:22 AM
  • Hoops....haha!!!!!!!!

Weaknesses.....probably the main one being some of the players are just getting their feet wet being big contributors. However, they have been playing together all spring and summer. These guys have the mentality that they are going to win. They aren't cocky at all....AT ALL, they just BELIEVE it. It has a lot to do with the success that they have had in the past years....IMO.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 11:28 AM
  • Chuck.....good to see you on here! I'm glad you finally joined the discussion.... Now we don't have to email!!!! Ha!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 11:31 AM

There is no doubt that success breeds success. I could see Sikeston making another undefeated run through districts if everything works out. NOT saying they will, but I wouldn't be surprised, especially with that AAU coach they have over there in the off-season.

-- Posted by Sweet Chuck on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 11:33 AM

Don't say that Chuck... He will get a Bigger Head! LOL

-- Posted by Haterade on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 11:36 AM

It will be harder to get a headace of lettuce bigger than that melon he has!!!LOL Hoops, I'm a little concerned on the way you spelled develope earlier!haha

All joking aside, Sikeston has that sports program on the rise and working on all cylinders right now. The future is bright right now, that's for sure.

-- Posted by Sweet Chuck on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 12:22 PM

thanks for the feedback, I guess with a newer crop of individuals stepping up for Sikeston, their weaknesses won't be evident until they have a few games under the belt.. But you are right, success breeds success and sikeston has seen its fair share of success as of late.

I look forward to getting back in the stands this year, so I'm just trying to get a feel for area teams!

-- Posted by secretagentman on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 12:41 PM
  • Oh please Sweetchuck, tell me your not joining rocketboy and poopsididitagain's fanclub!!! These two clowns have been challenged many times to a bball game of one on two and they have not accepted the challenge either time, probably because they can't play a lick. Tell you what, I'll play all three of you guys by myself to 12 and bet a dinner at Lambert's on it. What say you??

-- Posted by Hemingway on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 12:50 PM
  • Earnest

-- Posted by GSP on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 12:52 PM

Let's golf against them Hemingway!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 1:07 PM

Heminggay! How have you been?

I have really missed you! Like the bubonic plague!

And for the offer to play some basketball, anytime bucko and I don't need the other two just me and you bucko! Just let me know when and where bucko!

-- Posted by Haterade on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 1:09 PM
  • Himisgay....do you officiate basketball games?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 1:22 PM
  • Bucko? I think you have me confused the bearcatforall unless your his twin brother (which is possible). And my name is HemingWAY so learn how to spell it right.

No, trust me you'll need those other two to be able to beat me at bball. Especially since none of you are probably over 5'10 and have apparently never played any bball in your life (besides in your own driveway).

-- Posted by Hemingway on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 1:22 PM
  • I've been known to ref a little here and there rocketboy. Mainly I'm just into breaking people down off of the dribble and buckling knees. I've been known to be called Swashbuckler.

-- Posted by Hemingway on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 1:24 PM

That is right bucko... I am about that tall! SO Heminggay any time, any place Bucko!

I do remember playing basketball in my driveway a couple of times so I think I should be able to play against you... Sorry about the name Heminggay might have been a typo! NOPE it wasn't!

-- Posted by Haterade on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 1:27 PM

I think you might mean butt pirate not swashbuckler?

-- Posted by Haterade on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 1:30 PM
  • Are you trying to disrespect me poopsishartedagain? I'd have you huffing and puffing by the time I was done with you on the bball court dude, no doubts about it. You are just mad because I have more game than you and your other buddies on here. Plus I am pretty strong as well, so it will be hard for you, rocketboy or sweetchuckydoll to hold me in the post and that is a FACT.

-- Posted by Hemingway on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 1:35 PM

How in the world am I in this little "challenge" of yours Hemingway? I'm pretty sure you don't know who your talking to if your mentioning my name and playing "bball" as you call it against me. Ask around.

-- Posted by Sweet Chuck on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 1:36 PM

You are still talking.. Come over to Sikeston some time soon and pick a spot to play already! I want to see how great you really are Heminggay!

-- Posted by Haterade on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 1:38 PM

Hoops I think he is skeered!!! That guy can't be serious, is he?

-- Posted by Sweet Chuck on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 1:57 PM
  • Soldan was loaded last year too. They returned every player. This isn't breaking news. Soldan beat Sikeston by 15 or 20 in the Rib City shootout. I was actually surprised at how good a sports they were and how respectful they were of Sikeston. You can tell that Coach Tatum had really built that game up. The Soldan players had total respect for Sikeston, and that in turn got my respect for Soldan. They're the favorite to win it all this year. I just hope Sikeston gets to play Soldan. The only way they meet will be in the state championship game. I think anybody would take that chance.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 3:02 PM
  • scott....I think it's pretty much a concensus that Soldan is going to be tough to beat this year. I'm like hoops in this regard....I would just like the chance to play them. I would give us a decent shot in a full length game. We played them in shortened games and our press is sort of neutralized with a running clock.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 3:17 PM
  • scott....we will miss all of the seniors, but I as I mentioned before, we have some guys that no one knows about.....they are going to surprise some people. I don't know if any of this year's players are as quite as good shooting the ball as Will....IMO, we are better shooting TEAM than last year. Only time will tell about someone stepping up.....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 3:19 PM

I agree. The seniors this year loss one but still have been undeated as 9 graders jv an varsity. That should be a school record.I think this year Sikeston will have more shooters an get in a rythm.It was sort of hard to get hot when u had a 10 man rotation an trying to play everyone. I believe that Sikeston will have great quickness that will wear u down.My only concern would be how they respond to a slow game aproach. In rib city Soldan slowed the game an passed and passed just had sikeston running like cat an mouse..lol With the zone I would like to see man to man.But hey I can say a Zone won state..lol GO BOOTHEEL

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Thu, Nov 17, 2011, at 10:26 PM
  • stlfan....Sikeston will still run 8-10 deep. Also, they will stay in their 2-3 zone in the half court and press out of their patented 2-2-1 zone press.

Sikeston will respond to someone slowing down the game by doing their best to speed up the game and executing in the half court. Teams have tried that last year as well. I'm sure teams will try it this year. The press is the main thing that speeds the game up. And....once the Dogs get a lead, the opposing team can't hold it too long because they need to catch up.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 8:30 AM
  • Cape tried to hold it...no luck. Other teams tried as well...just couldnt keep from the temptation of running with the Bulldogs. If the Dogs can keep pressure on, and teams still believing they can keep up...good things are bound to happen...

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 10:48 AM
  • I seem to recall reading that Soldan had a few players on their team during the Rib City Shootout that don't attend Soldan High School and won't be part of this season's team. Is that true?

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 11:17 AM
  • I heard the same, Cully. Although, I can't verify the accuracy of that statement.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 11:19 AM
  • That wouldn't surprise me, scott. We have heard that Imagine Prep has gotten basically a new lineup. Neither of those surprise me.... I don't see how that's within MSHSAA rules.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 11:34 AM

It's a sad reality within the inner city schools.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 11:35 AM
  • Cheese.....it seems to happen frequently with a school a little south if you....Dyersburg.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 7:55 PM

I don't keep up with TN sports to often. I wouldnt know who recruits in TN and who doesn't.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 8:57 PM
  • Gotcha. I just figured you might have heard some things being so close to Dyersburg.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Nov 18, 2011, at 9:32 PM

When is Sikeston's first game?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Nov 21, 2011, at 1:28 PM

Sikeston plays Blythville the Nov 29 in Sikeston

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Mon, Nov 21, 2011, at 2:04 PM
  • After seeing Sikeston play live one glaring weakness stands out to me and that is the lack of a presence down on the block. I know Warfield is a good player but his game offensively is the perimeter jump shot. He is not a back to the basket scorer, and i was very impressed with what i saw from J.T. Jones but it still isn't close to what Sikeston had last year with Porter down low. Sikeston has solved one weakness that they have had for years and that is shooting. This team is loaded with shooters. Maybe that will be enough to outweigh the weakness on the block time will tell.

-- Posted by bigtenfootball4ever on Fri, Dec 2, 2011, at 3:19 PM
  • Keldon will be fine, he works hard down low and can rebound and score. And JT had a double double, his first game ever on varsity, against a team who probably had one of the most athletic big man this year. Maybe were seeing the start of a player that could be just as good or better than Corey. But it's hard to replace someone like Corey since his presence was always felt and was a leader. But I think coach hollifields done a pretty good job.

And we can shoot crazy good, last year we shot good and it was nice watching the games knowing we'd knock down some shots, now we shoot even better. I see us being just as good as last year in the end.

Anyone going to rector tomorrow?

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Fri, Dec 2, 2011, at 5:13 PM

I should be there tomorrow Ruby.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Dec 2, 2011, at 5:15 PM
  • Good man, I'll be lookin for ya

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Fri, Dec 2, 2011, at 9:11 PM
  • Ruby....there are about 20 of us going....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Dec 2, 2011, at 9:28 PM
  • What time is rector game and who dawgs playin? Will it be competitive or a blowout? Is gym easy to find? Thanks!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Dec 2, 2011, at 11:08 PM

Sikeston plays at 7:30 tomorrow night against Valley VIew. I don't know much about Valley View other than that they beat Kennett 62-61 tonight. I don't expect the game to be a super close affair or anything but you never know. I've never been to Rector so I can't say about the gym. Hope this helps cirithungol17.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Dec 3, 2011, at 12:54 AM
  • Thanx!!! I got address for the gps, I'm good to go!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Dec 3, 2011, at 1:04 AM
  • Rocket or sideline, could you send me the address on Facebook

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, Dec 3, 2011, at 11:15 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: