High School Basketball Forum: Sikeston to play for Virtual National Championship

Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 8:53 AM:

As a Sikeston fan, I think this is kind of cool! In yesterday's Sikeston paper, there was an article describing how Sikeston is going to play for the "Virtual National Championship" via Massey Ratings. What are your thoughts?

The link to the article is below....

http://activepaper.olivesoftware.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=U1NELzIwMTEvMDMvMzAjQ...

Replies (33)

• Here is a link to the bracket. Sikeston is a #16 seed in the east and McNorth is a #7 seed in the west. I couldn't find SCC in the bracket. I'm not sure I understand how Sikeston is a #16 and McNorth a #7 when on Massey's state rankings site they have Sikeston at #2 in MO and McNorth #5. Anyway, a pretty cool idea.

http://www.highschoolsports.net/Massey/NationalChampionship/Basketball/Varsity/B...

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 11:05 AM
  • Sikeston gets top-seeded St. Anthony's coached by Bob Hurley, who was recently featured on 60 minutes on Sunday. Tough matchup for the Bulldogs, but I think we are ready to shock the world!

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 11:19 AM
  • Thats why its virtual if they really played St Anthony it would be a major distruction!

-- Posted by Semoball68 on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 11:31 AM

I did the matchup on Massey yesterday and Massey said St. Anthony would win by eight. Doesn't sound like a blowout to me. The more important fact I think is that Sikeston was even able to get into this top 64 field. It is quite an honor and, unlike a team like McNorth who rode one player to get there, they have the pieces coming back to make another run next year. If they beef up the schedule a bit, the national accolades may continue.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 11:48 AM
  • What national accolades? A "virtual championship" is a national accolade? I just put myself into the starting lineup for the cardinals on MLB the Show 2011, I guess i just got a national accolade. However, If i beef up my schedule for next year i might be the MVP. Here's Hoping!!

-- Posted by PO526 on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 12:08 PM

Considering that Massey Ratings has a top 25 ranking just like Maxpreps, the USA Today, and other associations and that Sikeston is just outside it at 29, I'd say that is saying something about the talent of this program. Being considered the 29th best team in the nation is a pretty good accolade I'd say. Hate if you want to hate.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 12:14 PM
  • I think you're missing the point PO526. It's an honor to even be mentioned in the same breath as the national powerhouse teams. It's just kind of cool, even if you don't think it is. Yes, the virtual championship is a fantasy, but selecting Sikeston as one of the top 64 teams in the country is reality.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 12:16 PM
  • 29th in the nation....even better sideline starter!

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 12:20 PM

Come on Southeast Missouri, vote for Sikeston to become "the people's champ"!!!

http://www.highschoolsports.net/mvnc/boysBasketballVote.cfm

-- Posted by sbulldog4life on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 12:28 PM
  • sbulldog4life.....I totally forgot about that part!! Thanks for bringing it up!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 1:48 PM
  • well I voted.I guess they only let you vote once (at least on this computer) Its a shame we are ranked #16 out of 16.But who cares i think its great that we were.even elected.Cmon everyone vote

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 2:05 PM

The way it looks is that near the top is a button that says vote again and it looks like a person could vote as many times as they want. However, I don't know if they end up deleting multiple votes from the same computer/device or not. The best way would be just to email the link to as many people as you know and encourage them to support our team.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 2:10 PM
  • You can vote as many times as you want....at least twice. I voted twice and my vote was counted twice....so I assume you could vote MANY times! Come on Bulldog fans.....vote early and often (kind of like Democrats)!!!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 2:41 PM
  • Yeah, it is kind of odd that out of 64 teams, some in this virtual tournament are ranked very low, way down in the 100s and even 1,000s. Sikeston is ranked very high, top 30 I think. Yet Sikeston is the lowest seed in the tournament and playing the overall No. 1 seed. I'm curious of how they came up with the seeds. Doesn't matter, it's just for fun, but I'm just curious.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 2:47 PM
  • Another interesting nugget is Sikeston's probability of winning this tournament is 34th out of the 64 teams. McCluer North is third from the bottom, one ahead of the team they are "playing." Sikeston's opponent, St. Anthony's, has the second highest probability of winning the tournament. Again, just curious of how they came up with the seeds. It doesn't seem to fit their own rankings.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 2:52 PM
  • On my sons laptop we can vote as much as we want for some strange reason on my computer it doesnt let me. We need lots of votes to catch up with the lead.

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 4:31 PM

yeah, I'm on a laptop and have been able to vote as much as I want.

-- Posted by sbulldog4life on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 5:39 PM

Def one of the most stupid threads iv seen on here. IMO.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 7:00 PM
  • just hit the x button....top right of your screen. Will take care of all y(our) problems.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 8:48 PM
  • Buckmajors jealous, how many other teams in the semo area can say their top 30 in the nation, ever?

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 8:56 PM

Buck is just jealous that he doesn't even crack the top 30 posters on semoball.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 8:57 PM
  • Call Ken Massey and tell him about it. They are the ones that started all this. We're just trying to keep basketball going baby. But I understand why, being a NMCC fan, you'd want to forget about basketball season. And football season. And baseball season. And.....

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 9:00 PM
  • I think I top the list on the semoball posters

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 9:27 PM

i agree with ya gadget, you have resparked semoball

-- Posted by sherlockholmes on Thu, Mar 31, 2011, at 10:18 PM
  • Buck,

I'll give NMCC one thing....you guys do have a rockin' pep (jazz) band!! I've even told 'ole Butchie that!!! The rest of the programs....not so much!!

If this is such a bad thread, why did you post on it????

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Apr 1, 2011, at 8:31 AM
  • If everyone in Sikeston would vote, we would win the thing. Trail by 16,000 votes!!! I just voted 15 times.

-- Posted by bulldogfan86 on Fri, Apr 1, 2011, at 3:37 PM
  • When will the Sikeston game be played?

-- Posted by eric birk on Fri, Apr 1, 2011, at 4:59 PM
  • SCC Hands down the BEST team in the SEMO AREA!!!!!!!!!!!!GOOD LUCK with that virtual stuff,but if you wanted a REAL game you should have played SCC. Then you ALL would know who the BEST team in this area is!!!!!!!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Fri, Apr 1, 2011, at 8:22 PM
  • Or well take the entire states ranking and the highest touted ratings over theoldfats sick fantasies, SCC didn't make it with their 15 point class one state championship win.. And if sikeston fans would have got on a SCC thread you all would have cried and complained.. Let's play next year or the year after that?

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Fri, Apr 1, 2011, at 8:33 PM

Coolest Thread ever!

-- Posted by Big Bro on Sat, Apr 2, 2011, at 2:54 AM
  • scc plyed in this last yr

-- Posted by braves win on Sun, Apr 3, 2011, at 5:30 PM
  • Cool

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Apr 3, 2011, at 6:07 PM
  • The may have braveswin, but since sikeston is in it, it makes it 20 times better =)

-- Posted by thepurpleturtle on Sun, Apr 3, 2011, at 7:54 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: