Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Mike Anderson

Posted by crackerjack on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 1:59 PM:

ESPN just reported that Arkansas has fired their coach and will go after Mike Anderson. Wonder how this will effect Ottos decision?

Replies (50)

• I don't see Mike Anderson leaving Mizzou after bringing them back to life in recent years. He has Marcus Denmon returning and a very good chance to land Otto. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to go to a team in Arkansas that isn't at the level Mizzou is. Although it will probably all come down to money.

-- Posted by Jacksmith9 on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 3:51 PM
  • I wonder if Young is still going to Arkansas.

-- Posted by semo05 on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 4:49 PM
  • You know, I get pretty sick and tired of people saying the things tha scott1130 expressed.

"Let him go"

Really scott? And who would you get to replace Anderson? Who? Because as far as I'm concerned, Anderson brought this program back to life. He is only one or two recruits away from taking us all the way. Infact he did land a top ten player in recruiting in Mitchell. It's not his fault Mitchell couldn't get cleared. Anybody still remember with the Rams when Martz got fired. Well where did that get us? Anyone remember? I'll tell ya, year-after-year of futility. Year-after-year they sucked. So, people like scott really should be careful in wishing for things like this, because the grass is not always greener on the other side.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 5:23 PM

I heard Mizzou is going after Phil Jackson.

-- Posted by CL on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 5:26 PM
  • Homer jackson Cl..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 5:29 PM
  • why not bring in Kenyon Wright to Mizzou...all he does is win ;) and Otto will follow him too ;)

-- Posted by RedShirt on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 6:59 PM

He's gone. Arkansas are Oregon.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 7:02 PM
  • -- Posted by Cully Bryant on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 7:04 PM
  • I heard coach k is already being named as a replacment

-- Posted by NeverWasBeen on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 7:18 PM

I heard Chris Sarakas decided that he had learned enough from Holifield and that he wants to move on to bigger and better things. He was just moved into the top three replacements.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 7:21 PM
  • I think you are spot on sideline. My sources say he has an interview on Tuesday!

-- Posted by mandm96 on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 7:24 PM
  • I don't think he will leave. His starting lineup will potentially have 5 seniors that are "his guys". You combine that with Otto and B.M. and I think that they are a top 10 team next year.

-- Posted by thesmartestpersonyoudon'tknow on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 10:20 AM
  • Arkansas really is not that far away from being at the level of mizzou. They are one of the better jobs to get as a coach. Anderson has ties with them so you never know.They were a 30 win team year in and year out from the late 80's to mid 90's. If he leaves mizzou he will go to Arkansas. That being said i do not know why he would. He has it maid at Mizzou, and has them turned around in the right direction. If he gets otto, that could be the missing peice that they need. I am an arkansas fan, but mizzou is my second favorite team. I would not leave mizzou if i were him.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 10:23 AM
  • Arkansas almost rode him out on a rail with Nolan Richardson. Coach Anderson won't forget that. Besides, he is building and has been building a team that will win consistantly. A couple more pieces to the puzzle is all they need. Also, he's not gonna cut out on the Pressey's.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 11:10 AM

Ben McClemore isn't going anywhere, he dropped out of Oak Hill and will not qualify it appears

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 11:38 AM

My Arkansas connection says Arkansas will not offer the $$ it would take to get MA. Remember, last year, Georgia offered much more than Mizzou and he chose to stay in Columbia.

-- Posted by birdfan on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 11:39 AM
  • -- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 11:42 AM
  • Birdfan is right. Oregon, AND Georgia, offered more money than Mizzou, yet Mike Stayed with the "Ol' Cats from Mizzou" (as they were called in the glory days with Coach Norm). In my opinion, MA is staying at Mizzou til the Presseys are gone. But theres no doubt in my mind MA is staying with Mizzou this year. It'd be a lame-brain move to switch teams after arguably the BEST recruiting classes of Mizzou bball in a loooooooong time.

Again, this is just my opinion.

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 5:41 PM
  • Scott... to say MA asnt brough around the Tigers by far the dumbest thing I've heard in while, for many reasons:

MA didn't EVEN OFFER BJ YOUNG.... probably because MA saw something that he didn't like.

BEAL has been committed to UF for what seems like a decade (only been like 2 years)

Quinn Snyders wins/loses was 116-80 during his Mizzou career....

MA came into a team that was on the downhill slide left over by Quin, snagged a 08-09 BIG 12 Championship, and an Elite 8 run on his 3rd year with the team, AND has a win-loss count almost twice as good as Quin's (200-97)

You acn believe what you want, but I hope after you read this you see why that statement was naive.

Every team has a bad streak, it happens... Can't fire a coach the second his team finishes the year 23-10 and in the top half of Talented Big 12 conference.

MA is a blessing to Mizzou Bball

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 5:54 PM
  • I take Anderson over Martin any day ... You cant deny that Anderson has won since coming to Mizzou, you can say they play a weak schedule and that they are down this year, but his Big 12 tournament championship and Elite 8 run speak for themselves.

-- Posted by that_1guy on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 6:54 PM
  • ssomeone needs to stop sniffing glue.

-- Posted by GSP on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 7:37 PM
  • Scott-

Playing no one...period?:

Thats why Mizzou's RPI was 31tst in the nation at the end of the reg season.

No defense?:

Thats why mizzou's defense was ranked FIRST in the NCAA in three things at the end of february

-Steals

-Points off of turnovers (in transition)

-Turnover margin

Recruiting Class that you don't believe in?:

Well if 7th in the nation before 5-star Tony Mitchell was ruled ineligible isn't good, idk what is. They were still top 20 recruiting class w/o him

-4star gaurd Phil Pressey*

-4star forward 'Cardo Ratliffe*(#1 JUCO recruit in 2011 class)

-3-star (Mr. Show-Me Basketball) Ricky Kreklow

-3-star forward Kadeem Green* (who was recruited by around 20 schools; is now medical reshirted)

-Unranked Matt Pressey who avgd around 25 pts per game in JUCO

*= Rivals Top 150 Recruit in Class of 2011

Don't Quiz me about Mizzou Stats in the past decade.... I know my stuff

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 7:54 PM
  • Kreklow and Matt Pressey both play the SG position*

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 7:55 PM
  • with the exception of Cardo, who is the ONLY true POWERforward on the Mizzou roster, save Moore, and Matt pressey...

THEY ARE FRESHMEN....

Give them a break... sorry if they aren't John Wall and can't put up 20 a game right out of the gates.

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 8:03 PM
  • Phillip Pressey will most-likely go pro after his upper-classman years if he can stay out of trouble and stay healthy.

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 8:05 PM
  • And you don't think ricardo is that good?

Well it's tough to play an entire teams post play by yourself.. and anyone who really wacthes MIZZOU can agree with me on this: Ricardo does 85-95% of Mizzous "in-the-paint" work, not counting driving in the lane... just body-on-body post play.

Oh and one more thing

Making ALL BIG 12 Rookie First Team takes some sort of skill, does it not?

Give Cardo Credit...

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 8:11 PM
  • "You don't seem to be realistic, your just a rating and a stat guy..."

well corect me if I'm wrong... but aren't ratings and stats REAL? or are they imagined up by people like me, and other non-believers who just make up that kinda of stuff to sound cool? NO, they are REAL stats.

If YOU REAAAALLY WANT, I'll show you some sort of official source backing up my "unrealistic" stats and ratings, to prove they are REAL. hahaha you crack me up kid

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 8:56 PM
  • and you're right....

Hard to have a post-play team when only one of your 12 players are classified as a "powerpost player" ... Mizzou is reallly undersized against ANY team.

Steve Moore is the only other post player that comes to mind, and he doesnt see near the playing time as Cardo. He normally only comes in when Cardo gets in foul trouble... which happens too often.

Safford and Bowers are more Perimeter oriented fowards in comparison to Ratliffe.

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 9:00 PM
  • I enjoy my mizzou basketball with mike anderson. He's coming back, its just like ppeople believing pujols will leave stl.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 9:01 PM

Pujols sure would look good in pinstripes.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 9:11 PM
  • I agree, I dont know too much about STL which is a sin, i know. But idt mike anderson would leave the team he built up; but crazier stuff has happened... it would just REALLY surprise me.

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 9:12 PM
  • I agree with semo*

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 9:12 PM
  • Good team? Yes... 4 years in a row they make it to the dance.

Good as they should be? HECK NO.

They have a GREAT amount of talent on their team, granted they arent a UK or a KU... but they have loads of talent.

These last 5 games just didn't click to well them. And ever since Mike Dixon got suspended for 2 games back in January(?), Mizzou seems to have had an ID problem as far as the PG position goes, everyones trying to be "THE standout" in a team full of standout talent.

My 2 cents worth.

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 9:21 PM

SanSouth,

I get the feeling people on this thread that you're arguing with have a Kansas complex.

Show me a coach that can produce a track record like Anderson in the first three years of his tenure and I'll show you a list of coaches at the major and mid-major level that would KILL to have that kind of ledger coming out of the gate.

It is what it is and it's indisputable.

And by the way, it's a much shorter distance from Morley to Columbia than it is to Lawrence. Just ask KU assistant Coach Danny Manning.

-- Posted by vincebrown on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 9:38 PM
  • Yes they are a good team but no the didn't play to their skill potential at times this season but I think its just due to the number of underclassmen that are depended on. Next season im predicting mizzou in the elite 8.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 10:51 PM
  • Someone earlier said that attendance is way down under Anderson. The fact is that attendance has risen with him as coach. Up 2800 per game over the past three years.

-- Posted by tmm224 on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 12:05 AM
  • I am sorry but why would you want Young with all the trouble that seems to follow this kid. Hasn't MU had enough of that kind of crap in the past. Otto will be a big help for them but not enough to get them to the final four he is the same type of player they already have they still have no post presence.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 7:14 AM
  • Young has no scholarship offer from Mizzou, so unless he wants a walk-on, or gets offered here in the future (unlikely) MU isn't his place.

Mizzou grabs Otto- Great Team, with talented underclassmen, and a much-needed shooter/scorer under the basket.

Mizzou gets McLemore and Otto- Mizzou gets one more at the SG position, one that drives the lane fearlessly, and can shoot the rock; plus what was stated above. Grab em both and Mizzou has the makings to be a National Powerhouse.

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 7:41 AM
  • Quoted directly from a very reliable source, and a very well respected National Recruiting Analyst, Jerry Meyer; on the topic of Otto Porter's Future:

Does Georgetown have any shot of landing Otto Porter?

- Richard from Florence

If any school outside the state of Missouri has a shot at Porter, it would be Georgetown. The Hoyas are the one out-of-state school that hasn't virtually conceded Porter to Missouri.

In the end, however, it would be a shocker if Porter goes anywhere other than Missouri. Porter, who has visited Missouri, wants to stay close to home and his skill set is a perfect fit for the Missouri system.

Mizzou and Mike Anderson would be EXTREMELY BLESSED to land Otto.

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 8:00 AM

With all the questions surrounding Mizzou, I think Otto should just go to Semo... Stay near HOME AND OWN THE OVC with MICHEAL!!!

LOL

-- Posted by Haterade on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 8:25 AM
  • Mizzou + Otto + one more big man= Final four!!

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 8:42 AM
  • Just a little disagreement Sanitary South. Mizzou's bigs are not in the same league with their guards. The reason Mizzou's has faltered at the end of the season is because the bigs are so slow the defense can come out to help guard the perimeter players. For the last few games Mizzou is not getting many open looks from the outside. Most teams bigs are so much quicker than Moore and Ratliffe they can help out and still get back to defend. From what I see Moore is just a big slow guy with not much BB skill. Ratliffe is a big slow guy that can't jump with BB skills.

There's a reason Mizzou gets beat on the boards practically every game ,even when they win. Kreklow would make a good lower level D1 (Semo) or even a good D2 player. If his parents weren't employed by the university he wouldn't even be there. Getting back on the subject, Mike Anderson is staying here. With the addition of Otto and a decent post player they could be a hot team. Just my opinion.

-- Posted by wolfwoman on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 9:30 AM
  • I would think that most of the best post guys have already signed, but i agree they have got to get a quality (post) big man and the guards have to learn what a good and bad shot is because there shot selection is awaful.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 9:45 AM

Do u think there is a guard in the area that can fit in with Mizzou style of play? The uptempo quickness an court awareness to dish to bigs or pull up from behind the arc.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 11:11 AM
  • no there aren't any guards in the area that could crack the lineup at Mizzou

-- Posted by thesmartestpersonyoudon'tknow on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 11:38 AM
  • Papi, I understand what you're saying, and you make a very valib point. But I'd say that outside looks are about ALL mizzou gets outside of points in transition. What happened these past few weeks with Mizzou? In the beginning/middle of the season Ratiliffe owned the paint, now I hardly ever hear his name called out. For cryin out loud, DENMAN, A SG, scored more points in the paint than Cardo in the first 3 quarters of the Texas Tech game (round one of the Big 12 Tourney). Cardo is good, hes just in a slump right now... hopefully he can snap outta it against Cinci

Either way: I BLEED BLACK AND GOLD!

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 4:56 PM
  • And BIGELW, I agree on the shot selection of the guards... sometimes some of the shots they take make me wonder why MA hasn't ran them to death already.

I could've read this wrong, but someone stated Otto not fitting into the category of "a decent post player"

Otto is ranked th in the nation at potential to be an interior scorer at the next level. (http://missouri.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1197156)

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 5:02 PM
  • 7th*

-- Posted by Sanitary South on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 5:02 PM
  • You don't make any sense.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Fri, Mar 18, 2011, at 8:19 AM
  • The system doeswork. Look at what they have been able to do the last several years.

I like the fast pace style. However, if you dont have a halfcourt offense, you will struggle against good teams. There shot selection is terrible. You can not rely on getting turnovers all the time. Teams are going to slow the game down and you have to have some shooters to keep you in the game until you can get the game back to the pace you want.

They showed graphic last night that listed where MU ranks in the nation in certain catagories. For instance, 9th in scoring and I think 4th in steals, maybe like 23rd in assist. there was another one that i dont recall.

Needless to say the "system" does work, but they are terrible right now

-- Posted by HeHateMeToo on Fri, Mar 18, 2011, at 9:28 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: