Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Why do class 4 & 5 always have to go North to play

Posted by Deadeye on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 8:04 PM:

Does anyone know why class 4 & 5 have to always go north and play at Park Hills, Farmington, or even Hillsboro? Why can they come down to SEMO for a change? When was the last time the District 2 champ came down here to play?

Replies (20)

• I agree, at least for the game between district two.. Because it's pretty much home court advantage for them.. I think the Show-me center would be a good alternative.. But thats probably a big stretch..

But the quarterfinal game at the civic center is fine.. IMO

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 8:08 PM
  • Show-Me Center, Capes new gym, Jacksons new gym or even The Field House. The smaller classes play locally so can 4 and 5.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 8:11 PM
  • If you look at the schools that make up districts 1 and 2 in class 4, I can see why the sectional game is scheduled in Park Hills. District 1 includes Sikeston, Dexter, Ste Gen., Perryville, Notre Dame and Fredericktown. Sikeston and Dexter are the only outliers lying far to the south. If any of the northern teams would ever win the district, the travel would make sense. Problem is, Sikeston always wins, making the travel seem strange.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 8:18 PM
  • I would like to see it alternate every 2 years.

-- Posted by mandm96 on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 8:22 PM
  • Thats true monkey.. But its so close to desoto and farmington.. Who have won it here recently.. Its really not a neutral site..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 8:24 PM
  • Has the district 2 champ ever came down to SEMO I don't think so. Even when there were only 4 classes in the State the Southern winner alway sheaded North.

-- Posted by Deadeye on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 8:34 PM
  • I agree with Fatboy, Jackson's new gym is probably one of the best in the state for a high school. Central's is nice too. I get tired of Farmington getting it all the time. Spread it around for a while.

-- Posted by wolfwoman on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 8:50 PM
  • Jackson's new gym has very steep stairs. Not great vision, either. I think the Show me Center would be more centrally located for all the schools, and be able to seat all the fans. Seems fair to move it around a bit.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 9:23 PM
  • Sikeston would be the only team that would have a shot at playing at the show me center because for cape, jackson, or ND it would be like a home game.

monkey has a good point about the travel.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 11:00 PM
  • Jackson's gym is strange, not too well thought out. There are only a few really good seats on the one side, the rest are either way up, or you need ropes and critons to climb them.

Show Me Center probably charges too much.

Not sure how many the Perryville Park Center holds, but that would be centrally located.

-- Posted by khan on Mon, Feb 28, 2011, at 11:05 PM
  • OK. I believe I posted this one other time but not on this website. Take all of the schools in District 1 and all of the schools in District 2 and measure the driving distance to Cape (say either Cape Central or the Show Me Center). Then divide by the number of schools. Do the same thing for all the schools except use the driving distance to Mineral Area College. If you do this you will find that the average driving distance for all the schools is about the same for the venues in Cape versus Mineral Area College. There is no geographic reason to have it in MAC. I think the sectionals should be held in Cape and the quarterfinals in Farmington. It is unfair to make the District 1 schools go to the expense and the performance penalty of always having to drive further to compete. And frankly, the MAC facility leaves a lot to be desired. Despite this District 1 schools win the Sectionals almost every year.

-- Posted by citizen cyborg on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 12:35 AM

The old Cape Central gym, currently the jr high gym, I believe, was an excellent venue for sectional games. Parking was the only problem.

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 6:38 AM
  • I have to disagree about the Jackson gym. There are lots of places to sit outside of the steep seats. I happen to love them because you don't have to stand when the knuckleheads in front won't sit. I'd probably take it over Dexter.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 7:49 AM
  • You must be from Jackson Sims. :0)

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 9:05 AM
  • The jackson game is nice, and I disagree about the steep slope of the seats; this helps prevent obstructed views caused by those sitting in front. But, I am a little surprised the seating capacity is not larger, especially for a large school!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 9:08 AM
  • I'm sorry but the gym in Jackson is not even in the same league as Dexter's gym. The Jackson gym is more of a multi-use facilty before you think of it as a basketball court. I know Dexter's can be used for multipe things as well but it's a basketball court first. What's the deal at Jackson with having three baskets on both ends of the court that are permantaly there. Everone else has them fold up when not in use. Makes for a strange look. The site lines from the upper seats are horrible, you have to look through the metal railing, for the lower seats, to see the court. For the money that was spent on it, I think it has a very poor design. I realize Jackson fans have to defend it but most people won't enjoy watching games there. Just my dumb opinion of it. I prefer the fieldhouse at SHS over all of them. It's old but it has a great vibe on big game nites.

-- Posted by JuniorBulldog on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 9:44 AM
  • What you want in a playoff situation is a neutral site. I know sometimes it's unavoidable. But to have TWO playoff games right in Farmington's backyard. One is 5 minutes away and the other is literally across the street. At least move the sectional game down here. Poplar Bluff would be a good neutral site for a sectional game.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 10:24 AM
  • How about having the sectional game in (Greenville) it's pretty much in the middle

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 10:35 AM

you are joking, right?

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 11:07 AM
  • Yea i'm joking

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Mar 1, 2011, at 12:20 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: