Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Your Top Ten Teams

Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 6, 2011, at 8:50 PM:

We are over a month into basketball season and teams are beginning to show just how strong they are or are not this year. My question: who would you rank as the ten best teams in Southeast Missouri to this point? Here is my list:

1. Scott County Central-To be the man, you have to beat the man and no one in the area has proven to be able to do this yet. With a final round with Sikeston still doubtful, the Braves would have to be knocked off by another team or lose on their way to the state title if they want to be taken out of this position.

2. Sikeston-The undefeated Bulldogs have looked very impressive all season with their deep bench and frenetic pace. They are the only team that seems to be able to challenge SCC although it doesn't look like it will happen. If they win a state title, would that be enough to put them into the #1 slot considering the tougher competition to get there?

3. Kennett-A team that started off on a sour note but has soared since. The Indians won the BCT though Dexter played them closer than many people thought they would. These guys are about to start challenging some of the upper echelon teams of the SEMO area and seeing just how good they really are.

4. Charleston-The third place team in the Cape Tourney who were able to stay close with the Braves, these Blue Jays came in coasting under the radar but are now looking to be building some steam. They can place their mark on the landscape in a big way if they can pull the win over Sikeston tomorrow night.

5. Jackson-The Indians could have been placed over Charleston had they been able to play a more respectable game against SCC. However, they have won some games over some impressive ballclubs including Notre Dame and Cape Central and have only lost to three top teams in Missouri: SCC, Sikeston, and Class 5 contender Nixa.

6. Notre Dame-Inexperience has shown this year for the Blue Dogs as they try to grow up fast and help Jacob Tolbert have a strong senior season. Their flaws were pinpointed early on though the have battled through them and have been impressive other than a few hiccups. As their new starters continue to mature, this team may have the set-up for a playoff run if they gain the right momentum.

7. Cape Central-A poor showing in the Christmas Tourney prevents the Tigers from taking sixth or maybe even fifth spot. Struggles against Leopold as well as losses to Jackson, Charleston, and Sikeston hurt their spot as well. They currently hang their hat on a one-point win over ND that resulted from a rookie mistake and a title in the Potosi Tournament. Curtis Branch will begin to lend his services starting Saturday though meaning probable new life for the Tigers.

8. Dexter-The Bearcats took their lumps early losing five straight against talented teams but are looking to be on the upswing after a nice second place showing in the BCT which included a win over an improving Twin Rivers team and a hard fought loss to Kennett. Can they make District 1 in Class 4 a more interesting race? We'll see but don't count these guys out just yet.

9. Bernie/Twin Rivers-Each team has a win over the other, each in a tournament. These two teams have set themselves apart as strong teams in the lower classes and each has a possible chance at a playoff run. The only sad part is that neither got to show their muscle against Kennett at the BCT.

10. Portageville-By far, these guys have been one of the most conflicting teams to watch all year. They've lost to Saxony Lutheran in a blowout yet were able to take third in the BCT with the only loss being to champion Kennett. Although they defeated Twin Rivers convincingly, I need a little more proof that this streaky team can keep that streak towards the winning side.

Regretfully, I have not been able to see Caruthersville play yet this season so I do not know where they would fall in the rankings. I've heard that they do have an impressive team this year though.

What do you all think and who would you make as your top ten teams?

Replies (83)

• Caruthersville is a tough team and they are the most well behaved group I have seen play this season. They are well coached and disciplined. Caruthersville has played a tough schedule so far this year and really stepped up. The Tigers were impressive in the Dyersburg Christmas Tourn. only falling to the Championship winners. They are a great group of kids that are intense and fun to watch. I see great things for the Caruthersville Tigers this season. I've been a tiger fan for 30+ years and this group of young men have been my most favorite group to watch.

-- Posted by caruthersvilletigerfan on Thu, Jan 6, 2011, at 11:22 PM

I agree. I think however that in big games, they will struggle a little because of the lack of exp on the team. They start only senior, two fresh, two jrs and a great group of bench players. If they don't make any noise in the district tourny this year, look for them to do some big things next year bc they are returning 90% of the team. I think they have a GREAT defense. They pressure the ball better than any other Tiger team I have ever seen. Lots of potential this team has.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 12:11 AM
  • Well, Dexter beat Notre Dame tonight @ Notre Dame 50-47. Twin Rivers holds a 2-1 record over Bernie since they beat them Tuesday. So, I would put Twin Rivers above Bernie. Oh, and Portageville's "blowout loss" to Saxony was 77-74 @ Saxony and this was without one starter. They played Saxony again in the BCT and won 66-46. I would place Portageville ahead of Twin Rivers and Bernie right now.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 2:57 AM
  • Jackson almost let a 1A school beat them three nights ago on their home court. I'm not sure if they belong in this ranking at all. They were POUNDED by Sikeston and again by Scott Central whereas Cape Central and Notre Dame put up quality fights. I realize they were outmatched but losing by 40-50 points is not a sign of a top five club.

-- Posted by CrashTHEboards on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 3:26 AM
  • 1. Sikeston

2. Scott County Central

3. Kennett

4. Charleston

5. Caruthersville

6. Notre Dame

7. Cape Girardeau Central

8. Dexter

9. Jackson

10. Poplar Bluff

Honorable Mentions:

Bernie, Perryville, Portageville, Twin Rivers, Oran, Leopold, Portageville and maybe bloomfield

I've only seen half of these teams play the rest is my take based on scores and strength of schedules. There are other good teams such as desoto or crystal city but i dont even know where they are located on a map or who they have played thus i'm not taking them into account with the area teams.

-- Posted by CrashTHEboards on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 3:39 AM
  • now that clarkton has their best player on the court, (Mke Jones), i would put them ahead of bernie and twin rivers, just pay attention on January 19 when they play North Pemiscot, they will beat them by double digits, clarkton goes 6'5", 6'3", and Mike JOnes, 6'0", 230 pounds of muscle down low with two good guards and a deep bench, all of these boys with an exception of one of the guards did not play last year and they have, aruablly the best yound coach in the area, Rob Harlow, they have gotten better every game.

-- Posted by kdjones on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 6:48 AM
  • I don't want to critique any ratings just yet because I think it will change a lot in the next couple weeks.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 6:55 AM
  • Hmmm...is "kdjones" any relation to Mike Jones???

-- Posted by double43 on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 7:36 AM
  • What about Dexter beating Notre Dame at Home? Pretty freaking awesome. Making a second half comeback with Flannigan scoreless in the 4th. That kid is a team player.

-- Posted by Indian5678 on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 8:08 AM
  • Rob Harlow is young?

Nice to see David Heeb running up the score on Senath. Beating them by 80. Caruthersville sure showed Senath! Don't mess with them! Man. That will teach them not to play basketball! You sure showed them! Good job! Pathetic.

-- Posted by Pwilcox on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 8:36 AM

Pwilcox- You wasn't there now was you! If you call playing subs most of the 2nd half running up the score, yeah I guess he did. Cville can't help that Senath couldn't stop a JV squad. What was Cville suppose to do? Tell them to quit the game at half and not get any PT for his younger players? You people always find some way to **** and moan about something. No one was bragging on them beating Senath anyway, so why try and run your mouth for? Jealous of Coach Heeb maybe? Like it or not, that man can coach.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 9:12 AM
  • 1. SCC - I agree, to be the man you have to beat the man, and right now Otto Porter is the man. They play the toughest schedule in the area and still make it look easy. They will win the state title in Class 1.

2. Sikeston - They might be better than SCC, but they won't play them. Why not? Nobody knows... But that's not the players fault, so let's not take anything away from Sikeston. They are really, really good. I predict they will make the Final Four in Class 4, but come up just short of a state title.

3. Kennett - They have the best guard play in Southeast Missouri and play up tempo. Lack of size could hurt them some nights, but their guards are fantastic and often times make up for that deficiency. Right now, Kennett appears to be the area 'team to beat' in Class 3, and could make a run at a state title.

4. Charleston - You could argue that Charleston should be #3 on this list. They have also played tough competition and have a great player in Tucker, along with a deep bench.

5. Caruthersville - They have quietly played one of the toughest schedules in the area and gone 9-3, their only losses to loaded out of state teams, and an early loss to Kennett. They are very young and keep improving.

6. Jackson - I would give them the slight edge over Cape and ND because of the fact they beat Cape in the Christmas Tournament. They have very good size.

7. Dexter - They are playing some good basketball, almost upset Kennett, and seem to be one player away from being a lot better. Flannigan deserves all the attention he gets, what a player!

8. Cape Central - Their slow down style has worked for them, but it seems that it has also stalled out their development. They look like the same team every night, which it is good to be consistent, but they don't look like they are improving. I hear they are getting a good player eligible at the semester that might help.

9. Notre Dame - Tolbert is a beast and they can shoot the ball, but all year they have looked like they are just a notch below the rest of the good teams. The loss to Dexter seems to confirm this.

10. Portageville - I'm going to say P'ville here simply because based on talent, they are superior to Bernie or Twin Rivers. The reason they are so up and down - football. Look for Portageville to hit their stride down the stretch and make the Final Four in Class 2.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 9:23 AM
  • Caruthersville didn't press at all in the 2nd half. They played their subs. Every kid scored.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 9:29 AM
  • SCC plays the toughest schedule? That's a stretch. Toughest non-conference schedule would be more accurate. But once you get past the 4 or 5 shootout type games (which I agree are very tough games), you're talking about a schedule that is not very strong at all. Not SCC's fault. It is what it is. But the three tournaments they compete in and their conference slate are just not that strong.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 9:29 AM

Hahahaha SCC clearly plays the toughest schedule! Doesn't matter what conferance, you put there conferance and the non conferance together and they still play the toughest schedule. Their Tiger Woods and all the other schools are the rest of the PGA tour. Leaps and bounds ahead.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 9:45 AM
  • Yeah their conference schedule is weak, but look at the non conference..... But I get your point. Is there anybody that plays a tougher schedule?

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 10:07 AM
  • SCC's non-conference is as good as anybody's.

Non-conference---North Little Rock, East Poinsett County, Graves County, Simeon, Bolivar (TN), Charleston, Notre Dame, NMCC, Maplewood, Kennett...all quality opponents except NMCC this year...North Little Rock, Simeon would beat anybody around here...

Tournaments---OIT, Scott-Miss....SeMissourian---(Woodland, Advance, Charleston, Jackson)

Conference---Kelly, Oran, Chaffee, Scott City, Delta, East Prairie....

They play a very good non-conference schedule, but given their conference and OIT and Scott Miss Tourneys, they have 13 automatic turbo clocks, then the 1st 2 rounds at Cape have 2 automatic turbo clocks before the semifinals....

So my point is they play the toughest schedule possible given their locked in tournaments and conference games. But those games that are locked in every year are not a challenge at all. At least not in the Otto Porter era.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 10:14 AM
  • They have played a tough schedule this year but they should with all the hype around Otto. When you have that caliber of a player you get plenty of invites to play those games, but year in and year out i think PB plays one of the toughest around.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 10:16 AM
  • Yeah, Otto is the biggest reason for the schedule being like it is. If Otto attended Chaffee, then Chaffee would be getting the invites to the shootouts. That's just how it is when you have a star player.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 10:19 AM

smo723, thank you for clearing up those Portageville scores. I had them mixed up. In terms of Jackson, I place them at five since they have defeated Cape Central, ND, and Charleston. Yes, they almost lost to Leopold but so did Cape so maybe Leopold is just a good team this year for their school size. In regards to Dexter defeating ND, wow is all I have to say. That is an impressive win especially considering the way this game played out earlier this year. And thank you Caruthersville fans for the update. The changes I would make are to swap Cape and ND but leave ND in front of Dexter for the time. Move Portageville up to nine and move Twin Rivers to ten alone. I still really want to see Caruthersville some time soon.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 10:20 AM

just because their star player is the reason for their tough schedule, doesn't mean they don't play the toughest overall schedule. You still haven't named anyone that plays a tougher one!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 10:30 AM
  • Poplar Bluff and NMCC play tougher schedules. Jackson's schedule overall is probably tougher including a matchup with the No. 1 team in the state on Saturday.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 10:34 AM

LOL. Now explain to me how poplur bluff and Hahaha nmcc play tougher schedules. Toughest team nmcc will play is west Memphis and.... SCC.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 10:58 AM
  • NMCC plays in two considerably tougher tournaments at Carbondale and the SEMO Conference. NMCC also competes in the SEMO Conference which is vastly tougher than the Scott-Miss. Now that I look at it, NMCC's schedule isn't as tough as it once was other than these two tournaments.

I'm not as familiar with Bluff's schedule except I know they play in the SEMO Conference Tourney and the PB Showdown, both far superior than the OIT, SEMissourian, and S-M Tourneys and Bluff also competes in the SEMO Conference, vastly better than the S-M Conference. They also played in the Quincy Tourney (Don't know much about it). They went 1-2 in that and they have some tough non-conference games. This year, I'd rate Bluff's as the toughest. SCC's is close but their conference slate and tournaments are just so weak.

As I've stated, SCC's non-conference slate is as tough as anybody's. It's the rest of their schedule that isn't very tough. That schedule is littered with turbo clocks before they even step foot on the floor. Not their fault that these teams are bad The Scott-Miss Conference used to be respectable with Scott City, Kelly. But that conference is a wasteland and it has been for years.

SCC needs to get in the SEMO Conference. They could be competitive in it most years.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 11:27 AM
  • semohooops,

I didn't even think about SCC getting in the SEMO conference tourney. Then, SCC and Sikeston would at least have a chance to play each year. No wonder you have a big corner office and get paid the big bucks!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 11:42 AM
  • Toughest schedules in the area, in order:

1. Bluff

2. Sikeston

3. SCC

4. Jackson

Just based on # of tough games overall, counting districts.....

SCC's top end opponents are the toughest, unquestionably, but just too many automatics on there for me to put them No. 1.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 11:42 AM
  • I'm not just talking about the tournament, but getting in the regular season conference itself. Why not? They would be competitive and even win it some years.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 11:53 AM
  • 1a. SCC

1b. Sikeston. Both very, very good teams I'll give it a tie. Hopefully they will play

3. Cape Central. They are 8-3 losing two of those of a combined score of 7 points. And they've been without their PG and mostly like best player from what I have heard.

4. Charleston. Tucker impressed me in the Christmas Tourney.

5. Kennett. Never seen them play but based what I've read they seem pretty good.

6. Jackson. The win, but they just arent very impressive to me.

7. Dexter. They beat ND last night so I'll put them ahead

8. ND. Need someone else to step up consistantly other than Tolbert and Mystead.

9. Charuthersville. Saw them play Central last year and Central put it one em. Havent seen them this year.

10. Couldnt tell you.

-- Posted by semoballfan93 on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 12:50 PM
  • semoballfan93 has it right.

-- Posted by CTathletics2010 on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 2:16 PM
  • I just want the truth about why we don't play SCC.. I mean its bewildering to why we don't.. Every Player knows each other and both are considered to be in "Sikeston".. I know that the Sikeston players aren't worried about it and I honestly believe they would win in a close close game.. There's just no logical excuse to why the two don't play..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Fri, Jan 7, 2011, at 3:35 PM
  • I think it's both of the AD not really doing anything about this game. I mean on the schedule there was a date and then under opponent it just said "open date". I think everyone looked at that and knew what it was going to be. But so far this year I haven't heard any real talk about it. Maybe Sikeston's AD is afraid of having another beatdown like last year? Who knows...

Here's the problem with moving SCC into the SEMO conference: when Otto graduates, the SCC program is going to go back to a normal class 1 team. If SCC moved in the SEMO conference, it wouldn't be untill next year at the earliest, and by then they would be the worst team in the conference. And half as small as the class 3 teams.

-- Posted by thepurpleturtle on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 11:31 AM
  • If you want to be the best you have to beat the best, theres no shame in losing to SCC, but i think we would come out on top.. It would be a better game then last year.. But how it's looking that wont happen

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 12:05 PM
  • semohoops

I agree about the SEMO conference. Again, I didn't think of that.....once again that's why you make the big money!!

Sikeston doesn't play SCC because of Sikeston's AD.....period!!! It has nothing to do with either team or either coach. A Sikeston school board member told me that the board had to FORCE him to schedule them the past two years. It's just absolutely ridiculous why they are not on our schedule!!!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 1:14 PM
  • Yea and I think it is upsetting a lot of Sikeston faithful. I've never heard a fan say, "Nah, I don't think it would be a good idea to play SCC," or vise versa. Everyone, including a lot of neutral fans in the area, would LOVE to see this matchup again. I remember the last two years I went and bought tickets the day they were for sale. It's guaranteed money for both teams, and heck they can make a killing off of t-shirt sales if they want.

-- Posted by thepurpleturtle on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 5:41 PM
  • Ohh but the schools in a recession who wants to make money on a silly basketball game..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 5:49 PM
  • I think SCC would still win this year just because of Otto, I just don't see anybody for Sikeston stopping him. Yes Corey can beat him up inside but then he could just take 12-15 foot jumpers. It would probably be the best game SCC would have around here though.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 7:35 PM
  • Obviously Otto would have his points, but who else? If they shut down his "team" because even if its hard to admit Otto Porter cannot play a 10 deep team by himself..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 7:38 PM
  • I'm sure the rest of the team could manage to put up some points. Even though they lost to Simeon putting up a total of 50 points, 22 of which were from Otto. I'm pretty sure they could score easier on Sikeston then Simeon and that's what I'm basing this on.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 7:56 PM
  • I'm sure they'd score on sikeston easier but that still doesn't mean theyd win.. If you just don't focus on containing otto and you have a team that can run all 4 quarters with them and sikeston would have better and fresher legs coming off the bench..

If sikeston is lights out shooting like they were against holt i'd say they'd win.. How many threes did will have on a BETTER Scc team before he got hurt?

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 8:01 PM
  • The only thing is that good shooters have off nights too, in the conf. tourney Will had a horrid first 2.5 quarters before finally getting his rythym. I think that SCC has a good enough top 7 players to stay fresh enough to be able to go all 4 quarters. My prediction would be that Sikeston would start slow like most games this year but this one would be due to SCC's press, and let's face the fact that it's hard to break a press with a very athletic, long, and quick 6'8" guy in the middle of it. This would rattle Sikeston and they may try to push a little too hard causing a few bad shots and turnovers. Sikeston would make some good half time adjustments but would already be too far behind to be able to pull it out.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 8:13 PM
  • I don't guess being down by a top class 5 school with a bigger bodied big man rattled them, or down 7 to charelston in one of the hypiest games of the year.. Nothings going to rattle them... You wouldn't pick sikeston to win even if they played bernie.. But more then likely its not going to happen but if it does you know my pick..

And we know yours anyone but sikeston

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 8:16 PM
  • There's a big difference between Charleston and SCC and you don't think the atmosphere would be just as if not more electric for this game. But that class 5 team didn't play at the same type of pace as Sikeston or SCC now were they all around as athletic, they were just very skilled.

Not true, I will pick Sikeston over anybody except Cape and SCC. We've been through this before and it's becoming monotonous...

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 8:32 PM
  • I can see the debate for SCC but QUIT RIDING CURTIS BRANCH

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 8:35 PM
  • after a few more games and against some better teams I think you will see why I am.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 8:43 PM
  • To atempt to fulfill your non accomplishable dreams of cape winning a state championship in basketball this year? You worry about beat sikeston and we'll worry about working for that state championship... I guess some teams goals have to be realistic

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 8:46 PM
  • never said anything about Cape winning state, they will however win districts. how about Sikeston focuses on actually getting in a position to win state instead of coming up short and an overhyped, underachieving team like the past few years.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 9:06 PM
  • Overhyped and underachieving? Having two of the best seasons in sikestons history? Cape would have got ran by Borgia!!! Sorry we lost to a better team twice.. How about cape beats sikeston in basketball this year... Instead of putting all their eggs in curtis branchs basket.. And when we go further in the post season(where it counts) again you'll have to find something else to cling on too so you won't admit that were better then you.. Plain an simple..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 9:12 PM
  • Did cape even make it out of districts last year? You can't diss anyone that made it further then you.. Thats like you trying to say Sikeston football was overrated this year.. If you even stepped on the field?

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 9:19 PM
  • Semosports,

You will pick Sikeston over anyone BUT Cape and SCC? I was just wondering....didn't Sikeston already beat Cape this year by like 20 points? I think it was in the Semo Tourney at Sikeston.

Oh wait....that was before Michael Jordan started playing for the Cape Tigers. Ok ok, Cape will put up more of a fight this time. BUT Sikeston is playing at home against them again. Sikeston this time will beat them by 13+. Semosports get off the Branch bandwagon. Yes he's a good player. BUT he's only one player. I guess he will make up for the 20 point butt kicking the got earlier this year???? NO WAY!!!

-- Posted by dog2167 on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 9:20 PM
  • An SCC/Sikeston game really could go either way, although I would give SCC the slight edge. The game wouldn't be decided by depth or pressure as both teams are most comfortable at a frenetic pace and have guards who can handle (and sometimes thrive) against the press. What the game will come down to is rebounding...which is and has always been the key to beating an SCC team. Two years ago Sikeston controlled the boards in the second half which allowed them to come back and beat SCC. Last year, even though they knocked down 9 threes, Sikeston was dominated on the boards which led to many second chance opportunities for SCC and resulted in a lot of one-shot possessions for Sikeston.

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 9:27 PM
  • I'm not putting the whole game on Curtis, I think that Cape will be a better all around team this time around. In the first game they played a little selfish and had not played at that pace or had to deal with that kind of pressure. You forget that Cape also now has a sophomore able to play that got varisty time at NMCC last year. A 20 point swing because of one player is not as unbelievable as you might think when you break it down. he is a better ball handler so the turnovers will be down, he can and does score from anywhere on the court, plays very good defense which could cut down on points by Sikeston, and draws a lot of fouls while driving in the lane. You can say that Sikeston has the depth to get a player or two in foul trouble but you won't have the same presence if Corey is in trouble.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 9:50 PM
  • You cut out leaving #11 and him hitting a couple deep lucky 3's then its worse then 20 points.. I'm ready to get this game over with so i'll be right.. yet again

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Jan 9, 2011, at 9:53 PM
  • Maxpreps missouri state computer rankings: Jan.9

1. Sikeston (5)

2. SCC (8)

3. Jackson (39)

4. Charleston (49)

5. Cape Central (57)

6. Kennett (66)

7. Bernie (67)

8. Notre Dame (69)

9. Dexter (83)

10.Oran (121)

11.Advance (125)

12.Leopold (131)

13.C.ville (144)

14. P.B. (157)

15.Portageville (201)

I would have a tie for 1,2 until played or a loss.

Jackson 3rd with losses to only to #3 McClure N. by 6, #4 Nixa, #5 Sikeston, and #8 Scott CC. Wins over #49 Charleston by 9, #69 N.D. by 6, #83 Dexter by 8 and #57 Cape Central by 3.

#4 Cape Central will be improved with the transfer point guard. Could move up.

#5 Charleston Tucker and uptempo team.

#6 Kennett(66) only quality win over #83 Dexter. Will get to know better as season progresses.

#7 Dexter(83) won over Notre Dame. Seems to be in most ballgames.

#8 Notre Dame(69)

#9 Bernie(67)

#10 Poplar Bluff(157) has played the strongest strength of schedule as of January 9, with opponents national average of 2,798. Jackson's sos is 3,519 while Scott County Central's sos is 5,477. P.B. should be rising in the semo rankings.

-- Posted by theprof on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 1:25 AM
  • That just goes to show you , computers can be wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 11:41 AM

Pville just beat Advance Friday night by 28....

-- Posted by Pvilledawgs on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 12:06 PM
  • About time for my top ten:

1.) SCC

2.) Sikeston

3.) Cape

4.) Charleston

5.) Jackson

6.) Kennett

7.) Notre Dame

8.) Dexter

9.) Bernie

10.) Leopold

Although I think that Cpe will beat Sikeston this next game I can't put them ahead because they haven't done it yet. Also, I know that Dexter beat Notre Dame but I still think ND is a better team.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 3:49 PM
  • 1 a. Sikeston

1 b. SCC (Untill this game is played i refuse to pick one over the other, but sikeston could be 1 b also so don't try to start anything)

3.Charelston

4. Jackson

5. Nd

6. Cape (till they beat a QUALITY team, which they will, then i'll move them up)

7. Dexter

8. Poplar Bluff(darkhorse)

9. Kennett

10. Bernie

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 3:57 PM
  • one question, I can see how you could put charleston and jackson over cape since they both beat them but what about ND? I assume you went to the game since it was at the fieldhouse and i doubt you watched Cape's xmas tourney games against jackson and charleston.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 4:04 PM
  • Jacksons beat cape twice, and ND lost it to cape.. And Charelston is very impressive, SCC would have beat cape by about the same amount as anyone else..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 4:07 PM
  • please tell me the second time jackson beat Cape. If you say ND lost it to Jackson you could also say Cape lost it to Jackson and Charleston in the xmas tourney considering they were ahead in both games until late in the 4th..

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 4:18 PM
  • Perryville was ranked 124th to Advance at 125 prior to Friday's Pirate victory.

Strength of schedule. Per national high school ranking. Opponents average rank:

Poplar Bluff 2,798

Jackson 3,519

Scott CO. Central 5,477

Sikeston 5,652

Cape Central 5,833

-- Posted by theprof on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 6:23 PM
  • Why is the Jackson team ranked below the teams they have beaten? Only losses were to 4 of the top 8 teams in the state. They have beaten Charleston by 9

Notre Dame by 6

Cape Central by 4.

...and they are ranked by some 9th???

-- Posted by theprof on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 6:37 PM
  • Didn't see the christmas tournament games, but ill stick with my top 10..

Your top ten would be

1.cape

2.cape

3.cape

4.cape

5.cape

6.cape

7. Oak Hill

8. Mcluer North

9. The Lakers

10. Your church league team

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 6:46 PM

So what your getting at is a team cant talk smack this year, if they didnt win a championship in the past? The team this year can obviously control the level of talent that has come through in the past.

The "we won XX championships XX years ago" argument is stupid. Its the only thing you have, and its irrelevant.

-- Posted by CL on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 8:10 PM
  • Blujay is stuck in the past, cool your team won a state championship 10 years ago, lets come into the furture in which your still not starting on any basketball team...

Sikeston beat charelston THIS year so we can talk "smack" about you..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 8:41 PM
  • Oh here we go again with the we won 27 state titles in the past argument. All I know is Sikeston is currently better than Charleston. A LOT better. And they have been better than Charleston for the past five years. Don't bring up what happened in 1950, 1980, 1990, or even 2007. All that matters is what you are doing NOW. Puxico was the biggest powerhouse in the state at one time. A lot of good that is doing them now.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 9:10 PM

semohoops, you do have to remember that your past only matters if you constantly bring it up. If Puxico brought up their former status, they would have at least four more wins of course.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 9:17 PM
  • gadget i gave my top ten rankings and put both Sikeston and SCC above Cape. Maybe the school in a recession should focus a little more on academics and less on athletics.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 9:25 PM
  • I really wish all the people who are wanting to make out the schedules for Sikeston and SCC would just "let it go," and leave the scheduling to the schools/athletic directors/coaches!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 9:42 PM
  • Semo7178 give me three good reasons why the two best teams shouldnt play in probably the best game this year?

And semosports is your dad heavier set?

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Mon, Jan 10, 2011, at 10:28 PM
  • 1. SCC

2. Sikeston

3. Charleston

4. NMCC (Due to Akayla McClatchey)

5. Kennett

6. Cape Central

7. Poplar Bluff

8. Jackson

9. ND

10. Bernie

-- Posted by atbyrd1s on Tue, Jan 11, 2011, at 2:13 AM
  • I have absoultey no idea what your thinking atbyrd

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Tue, Jan 11, 2011, at 7:15 AM
  • Not once did I say they "shouldn't" play; I merely stated the fans have no more right to demand "that" game, more than any other!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Tue, Jan 11, 2011, at 9:08 AM
  • What takes the "right" away from them? Fans demand and the schools either do it or don't. Having the game has many, many pros. The game makes money. It enhances community support of both programs, and that makes both programs better. If the game dosen't happen, it only causes more and more discourse between the fans and school officials. I can't think of too many cons of playing the game.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 11, 2011, at 9:28 AM
  • atbyrd, I am glad you ref better than you post knowledge of area HS basketball. Are you serious man? Just because you evidently have some "kin" playing now does not make him Michael Jordan nor does it make NMCC all of the sudden the Lakers. Your posts have been comical and lack some credibility at this time. As Keyshawn Johnson says, "Cmon maaaaaan!!"

-- Posted by Hemingway on Tue, Jan 11, 2011, at 10:01 AM
  • Did you really just quote Keyshawn Johnson?

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Tue, Jan 11, 2011, at 3:06 PM
  • Hemingway, I refuse to get into a negative spat, due to the fact this is an opinion blog about kids participating in the great game of basketball. Just come out to the Cape game on Friday night. "Bring your popcorn! "

-- Posted by atbyrd1s on Tue, Jan 11, 2011, at 8:17 PM

Who are you picking for that game atbyrd?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jan 11, 2011, at 8:21 PM
  • yes bring your popcorn, a drink, and anything else you might want to snack on during a game because conssession prices are crazy.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Tue, Jan 11, 2011, at 8:33 PM
  • Is Charleston and New Madrid still playing tonight?

-- Posted by ctjungle11 on Tue, Jan 11, 2011, at 8:54 PM
  • atbyrd, I am not implying anything negative towards a player or school in my last post. I just simply disagree with your opinion. But to rank a 2 win team over the other teams you put below them----to be honest I thought you were on here yanking our chains and messing around and trying to be funny like that little troll Inspecter Gadget. IF you are serious in your posts then I respect that. Best of luck to your player and school! No harm meant.

-- Posted by Hemingway on Tue, Jan 11, 2011, at 9:33 PM
  • Little troll? I'd flex yo uglas

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Tue, Jan 11, 2011, at 9:42 PM

Charleston and NMCC was canceled tonight, they didn't have school.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 11, 2011, at 10:26 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: