Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: SCAA Tournament Predictions

Posted by Nathan Martin on Thu, Jul 29, 2010, at 12:50 PM:

My opinion, Dexter is going to be a tough team to beat.

Replies (146)

• 1.Dexter2.Bloomfield3.Advance4.Bernie5.Puxico6.Bell City7. Richland 8.Woodland

This is just what i think for the pre-season, based on what teams have lost and what they have gained. Obviously, the seeds can change, as the teams begin their season.

-- Posted by baseballfanatic1000 on Thu, Jul 29, 2010, at 2:22 PM
  • Glad to see I'm not the only one ready for basketball season...

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Thu, Jul 29, 2010, at 3:29 PM
  • Yeah I'm really excited about this years basketball season, from what I've seen in summer shootouts and tournaments this should be one of the most competitive years for SCAA Basketball we've seen in a while.

-- Posted by Nathan Martin on Sat, Jul 31, 2010, at 10:15 AM
  • Bernie will be better than 4. not sure about being 1 though. they have 2 or 3 players that did not play last year coming back and they are pretty good.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sat, Jul 31, 2010, at 3:29 PM
  • As far as seeds go,

1.Dexter

2.Bernie/Bloomfield

3.Bernie/Bloomfield

4.Advance

5.Puxico

6.Richland

7.Woodland

8.Bell City

As far as who wins it, we won't know until it happens.

-- Posted by Mulesfan on Sun, Aug 1, 2010, at 10:34 AM
  • It's very early. We saw four head coaching changes in this conference during the offseason. The team that one this conference last year, Bernie, graduated four of its five starters. This will make it extremely difficult to predict what will happen this season.

Here is the way I see things unfolding:

1. Dexter

2. Bloomfield

3. Bernie

4. Advance

5. Puxico

6. Woodland

7. Richland

8. Bell City

I believe Dexter and Bloomfield should be better than than the other six teams in the conference. The other six teams are fairly equal. The difference between 3 and 8 is not much this season.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Sun, Aug 1, 2010, at 5:15 PM
  • drawmules2?!?!?!?!? what happened to the original from the high school sports seasons?

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Mon, Aug 2, 2010, at 12:12 AM
  • A new high school sports season requires a new screen name. Perhaps we will get to meet each other before the season ends SemoSports!

Any thoughts regarding which team will win the SCAA basketball tournament this season?

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Mon, Aug 2, 2010, at 12:42 PM
  • Dexter will have the best chance to win it. I think that Bloomfield could give them a very good game

-- Posted by baseballfanatic1000 on Mon, Aug 2, 2010, at 2:25 PM
  • I totally agree with your thoughts baseballfanatic1000. I really like Dexter's chances.

However, anytime you have four head coaching changes in an eight-team conference prepare for the unexpected. There might be one team out there that surprises everyone in this conference. We just don't know which team it will be right now. Time will tell.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Mon, Aug 2, 2010, at 2:42 PM
  • I know who it is, Bernie. they will be better than people think.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Mon, Aug 2, 2010, at 4:00 PM
  • Watch out for Puxico, they have a new coach, and from what ive seen they have buyed into his system.They could very well be the sleeper in the SCAA. I have them a five at the moment, but they can raise a few spots depending on their play. Yes, Bernie could be another team as well. They lost alot, but they still have a few talented players that can carry a team. They also have a good coach, so you never know, they could be another sleeper.

-- Posted by baseballfanatic1000 on Tue, Aug 3, 2010, at 9:24 AM

Baseballfanatic, the word is BOUGHT not buyed. and yes I do believe Puxico likes the new coach. It isn't hard to figure out that these board are loaded with Bernie insiders haha you try too dang hard at fishing for a compliments. I am sure that most outsiders who have watched Stoddard Cty teams will tell you that Bloomfield's coach is the best in the County. He takes what he as, works with them and leaves it on the court. He has the respect of the athletes, parents and the community. That's the definition of the word coach. There are quite a few that could take a lesson or two.

-- Posted by Blam it on the Ref on Tue, Aug 3, 2010, at 11:23 AM
  • Yes, Bloomfield does have a good coach as well. Bloomfield will be a good team as well.

-- Posted by baseballfanatic1000 on Tue, Aug 3, 2010, at 11:33 AM
  • You would have to know Bernie's coach to know that he is the same as well.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Tue, Aug 3, 2010, at 11:36 AM
  • Dexter should be the best on paper this year. They have the most talented and probably toughest player to guard in the county. He's probably top 3 or 4 in the area. They also sport a line up that will be physical and athletic which will make it tough for the smaller county teams to contend with.

Advance is a team people seem to be forgetting about. They return as much as anyone from last year. They will have to adjust to a new coach but they might end up being the best thing for them. They will be as tough as anyone.

Bloomfield will be very competitive. On paper they are probably behind both of these teams a bit and on a level field with Bernie.

Puxico does have a new coach. Hopefully he can provide some stability and help that program improve.

I don't really know much about Woodland or Richland.

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Aug 3, 2010, at 2:14 PM
  • what player are u talking about being the toughest player to guard in the county,when we played them last year they had nobody that done much of anything

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Aug 3, 2010, at 2:50 PM
  • GSP is probably talking about Alan Flannigan, kid creates a lot of tough matchups in the post. He is 6'6" and quicker than the average post defender, gets a lot of guys in foul trouble and can step out and hit the occasional 3.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Aug 3, 2010, at 3:04 PM
  • I had heard he had gotten hurt this summer. Is he doing OK?

-- Posted by deervalley on Tue, Aug 3, 2010, at 3:25 PM
  • deervalley

I had not even heard that he got hurt. Therefore, I would not know about it.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Aug 3, 2010, at 3:34 PM
  • I had heard he was at a big man camp out east and maybe only twisted an ankle or something fairly minor but sometimes things like that seem to hang around. I think it did knocked him out of the camp though.

-- Posted by deervalley on Tue, Aug 3, 2010, at 3:39 PM
  • Bernie beat dexter all 3 times they played them last year and part of the reason why is because Jordan McGowan played defense on Alan Flannigan and contained him very well. they lost 4 starters but Jordan will do the same this year.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Tue, Aug 3, 2010, at 3:47 PM
  • KChiefs

Jordan McGowan did not guard Flannigan the whole time in all 3 games. If you look at the stats of those 3 games, I am pretty sure I recall Flannigan scoring around 20 points in 2 of those games. However, Flannigan did do most of his scoring when Jake Smith was guarding him and I will say that McGowan did "slow" Flannigan down but he definitely did not shut him down.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Aug 3, 2010, at 3:51 PM
  • baseballfan2010:

I will agree, you can not shut down Flannigan he is very good.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Tue, Aug 3, 2010, at 4:23 PM
  • Love how everyone is excited about a team that SHOULD be the best in the county every year because of it's size. Yep they should bet all the small school in the county tournament but in reality they need to compete with the Sikeston's, Charleston's, NMCC's. But I don't see it happening. They couldn't do much w/o Flannigan @ the Rib City Shootout. McGowan is good defensively. He can't do much offensively unless he is wide open. He did do a good job when playing Dexter. As far a Flannigan being 3rd in the area. Who are you comparing? Big guys? Because if you are not Sikestion has one or two not to mention SCC.

-- Posted by Interests Me on Tue, Aug 3, 2010, at 5:58 PM
  • team success runs in cycles. from about 98 to 06 dexter competed very well and sikeston actually struggled some. scott central struggled some in the late 90s and will prolly again at some point. bbell city is aother example. great run from 02 to 08 but they will struggle mightily for a while.

-- Posted by GSP on Tue, Aug 3, 2010, at 7:03 PM
  • Draw, glad to see you're still here.

And maybe I'm a bit ahead of myself, but are you also ready for some Kennett Indian basketball?

-- Posted by TribeFan10 on Wed, Aug 4, 2010, at 4:11 AM
  • In discussing Sikeston's big men, I saw them at the Rib City Shootout and thought they needed a big man. The players all did very well and seemed to play as a unit. I am not sure anyone had a true big man there to test them against.

-- Posted by deervalley on Wed, Aug 4, 2010, at 8:37 AM
  • Bottom line is that great players find a way to score. You cant necessary shut down a great player, you can maybe contain him. Flannigan is a great player that creates matchup problems for anyone that will guard him. He can shoot the three at 6'6. Any post player that can do that, as well as score consistently down low is tough to matchup with. I watched 2 of the bernie vs dexter games last year. I dont remember anyone shutting him down for the whole game. McGowan is a good player on both the offensive and defensive end, but i dont recall anyone shutting Flannigan down for the whole game. Like i said, i only saw 2 of the 3 games last year. So, he might of shut him down the game i didnt see.

-- Posted by baseballfanatic1000 on Wed, Aug 4, 2010, at 9:03 AM
  • Any thoughts on any of the other area basketball teams?

-- Posted by deervalley on Wed, Aug 4, 2010, at 11:14 AM
  • TribeFan10

It's no secret Kennett and Sikeston enter this season in a class by themselves. That's my opinion. But if I had to select the top teams in Southeast Missouri this season I would select Sikeston No. 1 and Kennett No. 2. Cape Central is probably my No. 3. I'd purchase tickets in advance for this year's Kennett / Sikeston game. If this is possible. Haha.

I hope I have the opportunity to watch Kennett and Sikeston play multiple games this season.

I always welcome comments from the Kennett faithful. And Sikeston. And Cape Central.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Wed, Aug 4, 2010, at 1:06 PM
  • On second thought . . . . Maybe Kennett and Sikeston should play each other in the Show Me Center this year????????

I believe the Kennett / Sikeston game is the game of the year. But that's just my opinion.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Wed, Aug 4, 2010, at 1:12 PM
  • deervalley

I think Scott County Central and Oak Ridge are the best Class 1 teams in the state. However, Oak Ridge was unable to beat Leopold in the regular season last year. Therefore, perhaps I have overlooked something. But my preseason state rankings would have Scott County Central No. 1 and Oak Ridge No. 2 in Class 1.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Wed, Aug 4, 2010, at 1:25 PM
  • I really don't think this year matchup will be much different outcome than last years.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Aug 4, 2010, at 1:49 PM
  • Which matchup BIGELW?

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Wed, Aug 4, 2010, at 1:51 PM
  • BIGELW

Who are you talking about, Sikeston vs Kenneth or Oak Ridge vs Leopold?

I had even heard thet Brett Thomas may be going to Mizzou to play baseball and may not even play basketball and take the chance of getting hurt. I don't see this happening but it would be something to think about.

-- Posted by deervalley on Wed, Aug 4, 2010, at 1:58 PM
  • A little video tribute to you drawmules....I mean drawmules2...in honor of graciously stepping in to replace the original drawmules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w9DUTcAI0o

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Wed, Aug 4, 2010, at 6:12 PM
  • Crash Davis

Thanks for the video tribute. It means so much to me.

Now if we could just get Lary Doby or sawdust49 to make a comment about me having a crush on someone the evening would be complete.

deervalley

I'm not convinced Thomas will not play basketball. But anything is possible.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Wed, Aug 4, 2010, at 6:58 PM
  • Glad ya liked it. I watched that movie again the other day so when you said you were changing up the name a little, it came to mind.

Anyway, as far as Thomas goes from what I've heard he is definitely going to play basketball.

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Wed, Aug 4, 2010, at 9:22 PM
  • Thomas is definitely going to Mizzou to play baseball. And he is going to play basketball. Both facts from him.

Done and done.

Story on him committing to Mizzou/being Southeast Missourian Player of the Year here: http://www.semissourian.com/story/1648707.html

I found out about the commitment on Friday and the story was for Sunday, so there was no time to get in contact with Mizzou coaching in the middle of recruiting season, but it will be interesting to hear what they have to say some time in the future.

Now back to SCAA basketball? Or not, whichever.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Thu, Aug 5, 2010, at 1:04 AM
  • I was talking about Sikeston and Kennett, sorry!!

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Aug 5, 2010, at 7:13 AM
  • Has anyone saw Oran play this summer? Has Morrow improved any?

-- Posted by deervalley on Thu, Aug 5, 2010, at 9:05 AM
  • I believe it will be Bernie and Oran for district Championship this year. should be good game.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Aug 5, 2010, at 10:35 AM
  • Maybe, but i think it will be a rematch of Bernie and Oak Ridge. Watch out for Puxico in Districts as well

-- Posted by baseballfanatic1000 on Thu, Aug 5, 2010, at 11:34 AM
  • It is my understanding Oak Ridge will be in 1A districts for the upcoming basketball season. Does anyone know if this is correct and if so will this cause districts to be restructured for the 1A schools?

-- Posted by deervalley on Thu, Aug 5, 2010, at 11:53 AM
  • Oak Ridge's high school enrollment is 116, so for the next two years they'll be Class 1 (at least the figures are listed as being for a two-year period). The cut off in a five-class sport like basketball is 119 for Class 1.

Source: http://www.mshsaa.org/2010_2012EnrollmentFigures.aspx

District assignments have not been released for basketball.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Thu, Aug 5, 2010, at 12:30 PM
  • I believe Oran is likely in a legitimate contender in Class 2. Who would win a Class 2 district that features Bernie, Oran, Puxico and Advance. That's not a question I can answer easily, if at all right now.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Thu, Aug 5, 2010, at 12:32 PM
  • drawmules2,

Yes that is always a competitive district and this year I think any of those four teams you mentioned could win that district.

-- Posted by Nathan Martin on Thu, Aug 5, 2010, at 1:42 PM
  • Since Oak Ridge is out that means someone is coming in to class 2 for this district because Saxony is also moving up to class 4. wonder who that will be?

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Aug 5, 2010, at 1:48 PM
  • BBfanatic

I believe Greenville dropped to Class 2. St. Vincent was in a district in the St. Louis area last year. It will be interesting to see if Greenville and/or St. Vincent move into this district.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Thu, Aug 5, 2010, at 1:53 PM
  • I am sure Oak Ridge hopes they do not get in the district with SCC, Richland, Leopold etc.

-- Posted by deervalley on Thu, Aug 5, 2010, at 3:35 PM
  • It's possible the addition of Oak Ridge to Class 1 could send Scott County Central or Richland to the south district which features several teams from the Tri-County Conference (Clarkton, Risco, North Pemiscot Gideon, Southland, etc.). However, I haven't heard this will take place. Scott County Central was in the south district a few years ago.

Has anyone heard anything regarding whether or not a Class 1 team will be sent south for districts?

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Thu, Aug 5, 2010, at 4:26 PM
  • Rachel

Since it is the year to relocate districts, is this done before the season or at the end of the season? There was some talk of it last year but I just wondered when it would be announced.

-- Posted by deervalley on Fri, Aug 6, 2010, at 8:55 AM
  • I know the answer. But since you asked the moderator I'll allow her to answer.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Fri, Aug 6, 2010, at 12:29 PM
  • This is the year they reshuffle districts since this is also the year of reclassification. This runs on a two year cycle. If I remember correctly, it usually isnt until the beginning of the season before the districts are actually announced.

Below Should give you an idea of the area schools that dropped from Class 2 to Class 1 and where they could be placed. District 2 was the only area Class 1 district to lose schools (3 in fact), however it is unlikely that MSHSAA will just replace them with the two schools that are dropping down. Chances are there will be a little more reshuffling than that.

Schools that Dropped from Class 2 to Class 1:

+ South Iron

+ Oak Ridge

District 1

* Clarkton High School

* Delta (Deering) High School

* Gideon High School

* Naylor High School

* North Pemiscot High School

* Risco High School

* Southland High School

District 2

* Bakersfield High School

* Bunker High School

* Eminence High School

* Lutie High School

Schools lost to Class 2:

- Lesterville

- Dora

- Bradleyville

District 3

* Bell City High School

* Delta High School

* Leopold High School

* Marquand-Zion High School

* Richland (Essex) High School

* Scott County Central High School

* Zalma High School

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Fri, Aug 6, 2010, at 1:44 PM
  • Will the district relocation affect class 3 schools very much?

-- Posted by TribeFan10 on Fri, Aug 6, 2010, at 4:42 PM
  • TribeFan10

It could impact the schools in the every class.

Regardless of what happens . . . Kennett should remain the favorite in its district. But winning the district won't be easy. I look for Charleston and Caruthersville to have talented teams this season.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Fri, Aug 6, 2010, at 4:56 PM
  • In looking at class 1, it appears the districts will be effected.

Drawmules2

Since Rachel did not answer my question yet, can you tell me when we will know about the district assignments?

-- Posted by deervalley on Fri, Aug 6, 2010, at 5:01 PM
  • Crash Davis

I was looking at the MSHSAA map and wondered if things were also changing further west that I was not aware of. Class 1 district 2 losing three temas will be a big deal depending on what happens on the other side of that district. I guess we will know for sure in a couple to three months the way it sounds unless Drawmules2 knows something we don't.

-- Posted by deervalley on Fri, Aug 6, 2010, at 5:07 PM
  • deervalley

I guess it's ok for me to answer since Rachel is not here.

The districts will be realigned before the season starts. In the past, the realignments have been posted on the MSHSAA website in October or November. I believe realignment takes place every other year.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Fri, Aug 6, 2010, at 6:19 PM
  • the new district alignments for basketball will be released the last week of september. as far as how they may shape up u may see scc and oak ridge in the same district. richland would likely bump down to south district to give them 8 teams. as for class 3, sometimes mshsaa will change things up but kennett wont get around being in the same as caruthersville. charleston has had years when they went north or even west. but u never know with mshsaa, aa couple years ago they had eminence travel 2 hours east with the likes of bell city and such.

-- Posted by GSP on Fri, Aug 6, 2010, at 6:43 PM
  • GSP

I agree it would make more sense for Richland to go south. However, if my memory serves me correct Scott County Central wass in the south district a few years ago.

I've seen instances where two really good teams are kept out of the same district.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Fri, Aug 6, 2010, at 6:57 PM
  • the time scc spent down south was during te same period that richland was still class 2

-- Posted by GSP on Fri, Aug 6, 2010, at 7:09 PM
  • GSP

I've seen some unusual district allignments over the years. We will have to wait until the district allignments come out to know for sure what will happen. But it sure is fun debating what might happen.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Fri, Aug 6, 2010, at 7:19 PM
  • mshsaa must take into account the entire state when determining. soetimes they choose to go north and south and sometimes they may work more east to west. schools movind into different classes factors. some say they will purposefully keep certain teams away from each other in ordert to create better playoff games. i dont buy into that altough it may seem that way at times. that could be alleviated if they would take the top twwo teams from each district.

-- Posted by GSP on Fri, Aug 6, 2010, at 7:43 PM
  • GSP

I've seen instances where the best volleyball teams are kept out of the same district. I have followed volleyball closer than basketball over the last 20 years. But I've also seen a few instances when this has taken place in basketball.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Fri, Aug 6, 2010, at 8:16 PM
  • I think there are four teams that can win the SCAA Tournament. Its going to be wide open. I won't mention names.

As for Class 2 District - Same thing - Its going to be wide open - Again, I can see three teams having a shot at the District Title. I will mention names: Bernie, Meadow Heights, & Puxico.

Bernie - 2time defending champs with a very good coach and staff.

Meadow Heights - Not much depth, but a very good starting line-up with a whole lot of speed. Their defense will be better than it has ever been.

Puxico - Time will tell.

-- Posted by TIDAL on Sat, Aug 7, 2010, at 7:55 AM
  • I got to see Puxico play a few times last year in the Christmas tournament and I always thought they had potential to be a decent team with the good player that they had but it turned out he didnt seem to have much support around him and one player cant do it all. I believe that Puxico will have a better team than they had last year as far as how many wins they get because a lot of teams in the conference have lost some key players to graduation. However, I think they are still quite a ways from being a championship team but TIDAL is right, time will tell.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sat, Aug 7, 2010, at 9:26 AM
  • i think that oran and advance may be the bet two teams in that district. both likely will have a shot at hosting either of the next two years if districts stay the same. both have the most quality players returning and oran, especially is well coached. advance may be the most talented.

-- Posted by GSP on Sat, Aug 7, 2010, at 9:31 AM
  • If I had to pick a team RIGHT NOW in the Class 2 district you are referring to GSP I would have to go with Oran. But this is one of the most balanced districts in Southeast Missouri. So much can happen between now and March.

What do you think Lary Doby?

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Sat, Aug 7, 2010, at 12:20 PM
  • I had asked a question if anyone had seen Morrow this summer. He looked very good last year and I wondered if he had continued to improve. It looks like alot of schools could be short on big men and he could be a force to be reccond with.

-- Posted by deervalley on Wed, Aug 11, 2010, at 10:52 AM
  • Here's a question, who has the best all around talent as a team in stoddard county?

-- Posted by Nathan Martin on Thu, Aug 12, 2010, at 11:14 PM
  • I think Dexter probably has the most all around talent in the SCAA....anybody else disagree?

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Aug 12, 2010, at 11:26 PM
  • I think Dexter has the most all around talent. I think Bloomfield is second on the list.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Fri, Aug 13, 2010, at 12:12 AM
  • Not a SCAA team but has anyone noticed Perryville this year. They could be a team to watch.

-- Posted by deervalley on Fri, Aug 13, 2010, at 8:51 AM
  • According to "the Bernites" they gave a lot of players stepping up. They coach has been practicing all summer with em.

-- Posted by Interests Me on Fri, Aug 13, 2010, at 8:56 AM
  • Interests Me

Are you talking about Perryville? This summer Leopold went up and played them in a three team round robin. Perryville is going to be big but at that time the biggest of the kids to play was hurt. Had his arm in a soft cast from a pitching injury, maybe. If he is 100% by the beginning of the season, they will be a force in the Woodland Tournamnet to start the season.

-- Posted by deervalley on Fri, Aug 13, 2010, at 9:56 AM
  • Bernie went 38 and 5 this summer and played several class 3, 4 and 5 teams. they have some kids that didn't play last year playing and they are pretty good. they still have some work to do but they will be pretty good.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Aug 13, 2010, at 10:13 AM
  • Geez. Please don't start with the blah, blah, blah, we went this or that in the summertime. That don't amount to much once the season starts.

-- Posted by GSP on Fri, Aug 13, 2010, at 10:46 AM
  • We will remember you picked Oran and Advance.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Aug 13, 2010, at 11:52 AM
  • I must have enjoyed summer basketball more than GSP. I also enjoy looking forward to basketbal season. It is kind of like wondering what will be under the tree on Christmas. Who has developed, who has became a head case, and who just seems to get the job done. We will see.

-- Posted by deervalley on Fri, Aug 13, 2010, at 11:58 AM
  • It has nothing to do with enjoying summer basketball. Playing in the summer is beneficial. Just don't go around flaunting a gaudy SUMMER record.

BBfanatic-I have not picked Oran or Advance. For all you and I know Bernie may not even be in that district the next two years. So relax a little. Good luck to all the teams.

-- Posted by GSP on Fri, Aug 13, 2010, at 12:55 PM
  • Nobody is flaunting a summer record. that is just how you took it. I was simply stating how Bernie done this summer and that I think they will be pretty good. Summerball is important for development of a team which is what Bernie needs after loosing 4 seniors.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Aug 13, 2010, at 1:25 PM
  • Bernie didnt just lose 4 seniors tho, they were everything that the team had besides McGowan. Also, I have to agree with GSP about the summer records.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Aug 13, 2010, at 3:06 PM
  • Shipman and Walker are returning and were a big part of each game. Shelton and Eaves will be good also.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Aug 13, 2010, at 3:28 PM
  • I agree with GSP about the summer records. I agree with baseballfan2010 about Bernie losing a great deal. I agree with BBfanatic about Bernie putting a competitive team on the court this season.

My final analysis is Dexter has a very talented team this season. Bernie defeated Dexter 57-53, 57-51, and 47-46 last season. The teams were very even last year. Bernie graduated four starters. On paper Dexter looks to be the stronger team this season. But you have to play the games. Bernie will get the regular season game against Dexter at home this season. Bernie is tough to beat at home. Nevertheless, I like Dexter's chances in the conference tournament at the end of the season.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Fri, Aug 13, 2010, at 3:36 PM
  • Blam it on the Ref

Who do you think will win the conference this season?

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Sat, Aug 14, 2010, at 2:42 AM
  • Blame if on the ref,

I missed your comment for a few days, but off-hand comments about rules violations and casual accusations are not cool and your comment was deleted.

The rules allow coaches to have plenty of "contact" time (which I find to be an odd term), even through practices I think, with their players in the summer and what you described doesn't sound any different than what other teams do.

If your insistent...take it to MSHSAA. This is not the place.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Sun, Aug 15, 2010, at 6:45 PM
  • Rachel, I read those comments and they weren't any different from anything else on here. In fact BBfanatic posted the 38-5 comment himself and it is still standing. It isn't your place to quote about the "contact" rules for him. If someone close to the situation finds it threating then just delete it and passify them. If the comments were that touchy you need to take off the "Bernie went 38 and 5 this summer and played several class 3, 4 and 5 teams. they have some kids that didn't play last year playing and they are pretty good. they still have some work to do but they will be pretty good." comment. That could get Bernie questioned in its self.

-- Posted by StorminNorman on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 7:54 AM
  • StorminNorman, I don't understand what you're saying. Are you insinuating that something should be questioned based on the number of games played and the fact that new kids may be playing this year? Maybe I misunderstood your post, but it sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

-- Posted by GSP on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 10:13 AM
  • well evidently someone understands what the ref was talking or the subject wouldn't have come to a direct hault! I haven't seen other schools on here bragging about how many games their school team has played this summer.

-- Posted by StorminNorman on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 1:17 PM
  • StorminNorman

These forums are loaded with Bernie fans year after year if you havent noticed LOL

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 1:37 PM
  • You have 25 contact days in the summer if a coach decides that he wants to use those 25 days to play games that is his choice. We played around 35 games and if you just wanted to play in shootouts and camps you could play around 75 games in the 25 days if that is what you choose to do.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 2:39 PM
  • Seems as though I have touched a nerve by suppoting my favorite team. Anyway, I didn't mean to, just simply believe Bernie will still be good with all the losses of the senior class.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 4:29 PM
  • In my opinion, Bernie will be fortunate to have an above .500 season. Saying that they will be "good" is wishful thinking by their fans. I am not saying they will be awful either. I see them being more of a "middle of the rankings" kind of team in the SCAA this year. I dont see anybody on that team besides McGowan stepping up and being a big time scorer and getting that big bucket when the games on the line and I actually always admired McGowan's ability on the defensive end more so than on the offensive end.

In order for Bernie to win many games this year, their games will have to be in the 50-60 point range. I think they are going to have to slow the game down and execute the coaches plays on the offensive end because they do not have the high octane talented offense that was loaded with shooters like they did last year.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 4:56 PM
  • Bernie will have a .500 game season because of their schedule and their own tournament they host every year. McGowan will be the go to man and on weaker teams he will shoot 3's. All you'll have to do is guard him he isn't a driver. All any team as to do is play defense on em and the won't shoot. It will be scoring under the goal consistently.

-- Posted by StorminNorman on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 10:03 PM
  • Top two in the conference will be Dexter and Puxico. Not sure about Advance yet.

-- Posted by StorminNorman on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 10:04 PM
  • Stormin Norman,

What do you think of the Puxico team?

-- Posted by Nathan Martin on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 10:29 PM
  • I think the top 2 will be Dexter and Bloomfield. I am not completely sold on Puxico, sure they had a decent summer just like any other fan says at this time of the year about their team.

My prediction is that Puxico will get a 4 seed in the SCAA tournament this year. I will also note that with the exception of Dexter, a lot of teams in the conference have lost a lot of players to graduation. Therefore, I think the overall SCAA talent will be down but still just as competitive.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Aug 18, 2010, at 11:19 PM
  • Stormin Normin

Bernie does not host their own varsity basketball tournament every year. Bernie is allowed to host the tournament every other year. Holcomb will host the tournament this season.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Aug 19, 2010, at 12:33 AM
  • BBfanatic

The students and fans at every school have a right to support their school. I would be disappointed if anything different took place.

If one team suffers injuries another team could quickly become the favorite to win the conference.

If one team gets hot at the right time of the year they could win the conference.

Preseason conference rankings are fun to talk about. The accuracy of preseason rankings varies from year to year.

Anything can happen.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Thu, Aug 19, 2010, at 1:30 AM
  • Dustin, I guess I was wrong but I could have sworn that they have a Bernie Invitational and it was hosted by Bernie three years.

-- Posted by StorminNorman on Thu, Aug 19, 2010, at 8:46 AM
  • Bullsfan, I am glad you ask me. Puxico will own the heart of the SCAA something it has been missing for a while. Reason being their new coach has the drive the willingness to work for his boys. I saw that guy early in the summer scouting other teams. He was alone. Reason I say that is............................He doesn't have to have a "buddy system". He got busy trying to find the shootouts around the area and attended. He not only watched the obvious better games he was watching the less talented as well. He was studying his competition. As far as I know the guy has been working with his students since the day he arrived. I watched his team at the Rib city Shootout playing Sikeston JV. Now either Sikeston didn't take them seriously and sat down or they gave them some pretty good competition. NO, they don't have any "stand out" players. They just played as a team and you could tell they wanted to play for their coach. Now I am sure this is his first year and he has something to prove but I was impressed with the guy and his teams willingness to work for him.

-- Posted by StorminNorman on Thu, Aug 19, 2010, at 8:57 AM
  • Since this is the only high school basketball thread going and I am a little further North, What do you think of the Mississippi Valley Conference? I think it is Oak Ridge, Zalma, Leopold, Delta, Chaffee, Greenville, and maybe Marquand. I am not sure who else.

-- Posted by deervalley on Thu, Aug 19, 2010, at 12:53 PM
  • deervalley

I like Oak Ridge in this conference.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Thu, Aug 19, 2010, at 12:58 PM
  • I wonder if Thomas will try to do to much and not be as effective as last year. Sometimes a player can take to much on their shoulders.

Zalma has the potential to put some points on the boards but are still small. I think they can beat some people on the right nights.

-- Posted by deervalley on Thu, Aug 19, 2010, at 1:11 PM
  • StorminNorman

If Puxico does wind up owning the heart of the SCAA, it would be the first time in a while simply because I think the talent for most of the teams in the SCAA is down. Take 2006-2007 and 2007-2008 seasons for example. The teams that Puxico had those years were the best that they had had in a long time and will prolly stand to be the best teams at Puxico at least for the next 5 years if not longer. As good as those teams were, I dont think they ever won a SCAA title in those 2 years. However, any of those 2 teams would clean out the SCAA in this generation due to the fact that the talent is not what it used to be. Its still competitive and just as fun to watch, talent just isnt the same.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Aug 19, 2010, at 1:56 PM
  • Baseballfan, I didn't say they would win it. I just said they will have the admiration of the tournament. Besides, I would count Puxico out on talent just young. They have a few good young ones he may just move up. Besides when is the last time that you saw 5 avg. players working as a team? You just might be surprised.

Deer valley, I like Oak Ridge too. Impressed with their coach as well. Looks like there are some 2A Baskeball teams that has lucked out because they went down to 1A. I can't say Oak Ridge lucked out though. They will have SCC to contend with.

-- Posted by StorminNorman on Thu, Aug 19, 2010, at 6:06 PM
  • Is Bobby Knight the new coach at Puxico? I do not mean to be disrespectful and I am glad that you are proud of the new coach at Puxico, but you are setting this guy up for failure. I may be mistaken but he has never won a varsity boys basketball game yet. I am sure he would appreciate the opportunity to prove himself instead of projecting a possible SCAA title even before his first head coaching stint. If I remember right, I saw this same group of kids get thumped when they were on the JV level by 40 points. Please don't carry the coach off the floor just yet!!! Good luck to you coach! I wish you well and respect the time you have put in with your team.

-- Posted by okachaw on Thu, Aug 19, 2010, at 6:42 PM
  • I have seen 5 avg. players working as a team plenty of times. Bloomfield was a perfect example of that last year, especially how they played after Hensley got hurt. I have watched a lot of basketball over the years.

I am sure they are liking the new coach and are excited about this year but when/if they prove that they can hit the floor (during season) and handle above average pressure defense without turning the ball over, then you will have me convinced.

On the flip side, I would like to wish Coach Smith and the Puxico team the best of luck this season!

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Aug 19, 2010, at 6:42 PM
  • Speaking of Hensley, where is he going to school? And is he going to get to play. A shame how on arrogant move form an apposing player can cost ya. Referees need to take their job more seriously and nip that stuff in the bud before it even starts.

-- Posted by StorminNorman on Fri, Aug 20, 2010, at 7:06 AM
  • BTW okachaw, no one said they were going to win the tournament and you obviously didn't see them play this summer. I don't know the coach personally but you'd have to admire a guy who can take kids that have been down and give them the knid of encouragement that would make them think anything is possible. It isn't about winning, it is about what you can do for a HS student to make them believe that anything is possible if you work hard enough for it.

-- Posted by StorminNorman on Fri, Aug 20, 2010, at 7:10 AM
  • I like the chances of Leopold over Oak Ridge, what do you all think?

-- Posted by deervalley on Fri, Aug 20, 2010, at 8:35 AM
  • I agree with Hemingway, from what I heard, the incident that hurt Hensley's knee was completely inadvertent.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Aug 20, 2010, at 12:46 PM
  • Hemingway, You are wrong you think? lol Tell ya what, you look at the tape I saw and then you tell me it wasn't intentional. All those games were taped you should be able to find it. I am quite sure that baseballfan2010 can find it for you.

-- Posted by StorminNorman on Fri, Aug 20, 2010, at 6:05 PM
  • BTW when a kid is chasing a guy down the court to keep him from dunking how in the world can you have an inadvertent move from behind? Please tell us all?

-- Posted by StorminNorman on Fri, Aug 20, 2010, at 6:16 PM
  • StorminNorman

You can't seriously be that ignorant. Hensley wasn't going for a dunk, it was a half-court situation. And as for watching the tape, if you would have ACTUALLY seen it like I have (many times), you would know that it WAS indeed an accident, one that was tragic, but unavoidable. So if all you have to do on here is try to swirl rumors, take it to Topix.com.

-- Posted by Mulesfan on Fri, Aug 20, 2010, at 7:05 PM
  • You know people, if you want to find out the identity of someone is all you have to do is insinuate something that their touchy about and they come right out of the wood work. lol your so easy.

-- Posted by StorminNorman on Fri, Aug 20, 2010, at 7:15 PM
  • aaaaa chooo. normin that was a sneeze. i have no dog in this fight but i must say, normin the jokes on u hon. trust me. i dont even know the entire situation but any adult that tries to make kid look bad by lying is in a sad, pitiful state.

-- Posted by GSP on Fri, Aug 20, 2010, at 8:38 PM
  • I did not see the incident happen but I asked very reliable sources and they all told me that the injury took place around halfcourt, and it was not deliberate.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Aug 20, 2010, at 8:45 PM
  • Storm.....I admire coaches who have proven themselves to be a good coach. I am not impressed by someone who scouts summer basketball. In fact, I think it is crazy. As for the current Puxico coach, he has yet to prove anything like most coaches in SEMO since no school keeps them around long enough. Puxico has had their share of decent coaches over the years and have had success so please do not come on here and tell us that this new coach is the saviour to Puxico Basketball. It sounds like to me you must be close to the situation since I have never seen this much discussion on this site about Puxico basketball until this new coach was hired. My prediction.....Puxico will be no higher than a 5 seed in the SCAA this year!

-- Posted by okachaw on Fri, Aug 20, 2010, at 9:16 PM
  • This thread and this line of talk is going to stop. I've deleted some comments and will continue to do so.

Norman,

If the only thing you can do is post negative gossip and outlandish accusations, you need not continue to post at all. There are plenty of places on the internet that welcome that sort of thing, but semoball is not one of them.

And if you're convinced you're correct, that's fine -- for all I know you are, this is still not the place to make your case. Take it somewhere else.

You seem to have plenty of relevant basketball knowledge and opinions, let's stick with those things in he future.

I suggest that it's time for a new high school basketball thread and a new topic of conversation...someone please do the honors and put us on a new path...

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Sat, Aug 21, 2010, at 12:41 AM
  • I agree we need a new path. Everyone watch this video and post a prediction on this thread. Haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzhB0gF5GTI&feature=related

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Sat, Aug 21, 2010, at 1:46 AM
  • yea normin give us some of that in depth knowledge and insight u have. now dont run and hide like saddam after the fall of the republican guard

-- Posted by GSP on Sat, Aug 21, 2010, at 10:14 AM
  • Rachel, It is obvious that observations about something is aloud unless someone is offended by it, I can understand that(Puxico Coach for example)seems to me if you email and whine about poor me but let those same people run down the Puxico coach and put down others it is a double standard for YOU. I am assuming you have satisfied your emailers because now it is a green light for them to do the same and insult others. It is obvious that if people are not emailing you and complaining you leave it as is.

As for your email buddys GSP, Mulesfan and all the other obvious insecure posters on here I guess you feel safe to run down others now that your whining has been heard and I could put some insight and knowledge in your face about sports but all it would do is cause you to whine to Rachel again because you can't handle it. You dish it out but it is obvious you can take it. You'd think you'd let your reputation speck for it's self or maybe it is. Criticism works both ways fellas and it is a public fact you have plenty to be criticized about.

Rachael you mean well but you need to look both ways before making assumptions and accusations. End of subject and move on.

-- Posted by StorminNorman on Sat, Aug 21, 2010, at 12:01 PM
  • Okachaw, You haven't heard much about Puxico because this board is nothing but Bernie people who obviously can handle anything other that praise ME comments.

-- Posted by StorminNorman on Sat, Aug 21, 2010, at 12:06 PM
  • StorminNorman

Are you a Puxico fan?? LOL

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sat, Aug 21, 2010, at 12:33 PM
  • I suppose you could say that that I am. Are you a Bernie fan?? LOL

-- Posted by StorminNorman on Sat, Aug 21, 2010, at 2:23 PM
  • holy cow. now look who is touchy. norm u went from 60 to zero in 5 point 2. haha it really dont matter where anyone is from. if what u have been saying made sense u would not be getting smoked on here. but i can assure u 3 things. i dont know rachel. who is rachel anyway? secondly im not from bernie. if .u read the entire blog ud maybee figure that out. and thirdly u r definitely jealous or mad about something from the past because nobody with half a brain would spend time boo hooin like u have. i would love for u to engage me in some conversation bout sports but then i just figure what the heck. if i want that level of conversation i will talk to my 6 year old nephew.

-- Posted by GSP on Sat, Aug 21, 2010, at 4:02 PM
  • my top five players in the county in no particular order. ryan kleffer, jordan mcgowan, alan flannagin, seth hill, and a toss up betwenn grant grey and darrin vangennip.

-- Posted by GSP on Sat, Aug 21, 2010, at 4:35 PM
  • Nicely put GSP, I would have to agree with you on those six players.

-- Posted by Nathan Martin on Sat, Aug 21, 2010, at 5:54 PM
  • I promise you I am not a Bernie fan, in fact earlier in this forum I made a comment saying to GSP that if you have not noticed this forum is loaded with Bernie fans that support their team. I am not one of them! I am not favoring any team in this county, I do my best to call them like I see them!

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sat, Aug 21, 2010, at 6:07 PM
  • What does everyone think about other class 2 schools this year? I'm talkin' Portageville, Hayti, Oran, Van Buren, ect.

-- Posted by Mulesfan on Sun, Aug 22, 2010, at 12:51 PM

From what I have heard from a very reliable source is Portagville is going to back with a vengeance. Haven't seen em just that there were boys that can contribute are that and back and so forth.

-- Posted by Blam it on the Ref on Sun, Aug 22, 2010, at 1:25 PM

And as someone said earlier some 2A schools have lucked out with OakRidge stepping down.

-- Posted by Blam it on the Ref on Sun, Aug 22, 2010, at 1:27 PM
  • Oran and Portageville should be strong. Oran returns 3 or 4 seniors who have started since their sophomore year. Portageville has a very talented sophomore and some other athletes who will be tough. Another team that should be very good is Advance. They only lost like one or two games when this same group was on the JV level. Class 2 should be interesting and I am curious to see how the district assignments come out this fall.

-- Posted by okachaw on Sun, Aug 22, 2010, at 1:31 PM
  • Portageville has a chance to be good but please don't forget Jim Bidewell retired. Bidewell is a legend. This will be a tough transition for those boys and that is no disrespect to new coach Jason Irby. I think Irby will do a good job. Portageville lost their post player (Minnis, he moved) but will get their best player back (Treadwell, who quit last year). Between Treadwell and the two Walker boys Tevin (point guard) and Dominique (super athletic wing), that is going to be a handful for most 2A teams to handle. Throw in the other post player Young and guard Issac Ray, and the 'Dawgs could be very good this year. The conference should be competitive and it will just come down to the boys listening to Irby.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sun, Aug 22, 2010, at 6:53 PM

The way I understand it is that Bidewell retired because of a family illness and will still be setting on the bench. Is that true? I wonder if 2A will be any stronger that it was last year?

-- Posted by Blam it on the Ref on Sun, Aug 22, 2010, at 7:21 PM
  • Blam it on the Ref

Class 2 was the weakest class in the state last year. It will be even weaker this year. But a state title is a state title.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Sun, Aug 22, 2010, at 7:27 PM
  • I must agree with drawmules2. Seems like the talent is dropping a little each year.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Sun, Aug 22, 2010, at 8:26 PM
  • I am completely confused by your statements, Norman. I guess you have top-secret inside knowledge of my e-mail account? I can assure you that I don't care enough one way or another when it comes to types of fights and accusations that were in this thread to pick a side. I have no power to do anything about that kind of stuff...no matter who is right.

That being said, I'm happy to move on if you are...that's all I really want.

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Mon, Aug 23, 2010, at 2:29 AM
  • Where is Minnis going to school now?

-- Posted by badams2s on Mon, Aug 23, 2010, at 11:24 AM
  • Yea where is Minnis going to school? This is interesting news.

-- Posted by drawmules2 on Mon, Aug 23, 2010, at 1:50 PM
  • Dexter will walk all over the SCAA tournament.

-- Posted by cardinal1234 on Sat, Nov 6, 2010, at 12:46 AM
  • bbfanatic i take you feel like bernie is the best team around here. Yea they beat dexter 3 times last year but that was last year and its not like you blew them out of the water every game. Mcgowan CAN'T stop flannigan. and as for guard play dexters guards are way to physical for the bernie guards to handle. Yea they got a few players but nothing dexter can't handle

-- Posted by MIZ2210 on Thu, Dec 9, 2010, at 3:02 PM
  • MIZ2210

No,I don't think Bernie is the best team around her but i find it interesting that everyone thought Bernie would be down this year due to losing 4 starters. I don't know of anyone who can stop Flanigan either but that can go for McGowan as well. Bernie's guards will be plenty physical. You are right, Dexter should beat Bernie but that is yet to be seen. All in all it is always a good matchup and rivalry that i love to watch every time they play.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Dec 9, 2010, at 4:35 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: