Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: SEMO top junior varsity teams and players

Posted by semocardsfan21 on Tue, Feb 22, 2022, at 4:28 PM:

I'm aware that Woodland's junior varsity team went undefeated this season finishing something like 21-0 but was wondering what players from that team and other players from around Southeast Missouri will be making an immediate impact on varsity next season?

Replies (25)

• The best underclassmen are already playing varsity.

-- Posted by MCL on Wed, Feb 23, 2022, at 7:05 AM

I second what MCL said.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Wed, Feb 23, 2022, at 8:07 AM
  • I third that MCL. Several really good area teams have their talented underclassman playing up on Varsity.

-- Posted by moverandshaker on Wed, Feb 23, 2022, at 9:10 AM
  • If your JV is 21-0, all players from that team should make an immediate impact next season. Kinda feeling your wanting to throw out or hear a name or 2 from Woodland, let it fly!!!

-- Posted by Outfield on Wed, Feb 23, 2022, at 9:56 AM

cheapseats.. We're listening. I haven't heard of him. Where does he play? What grade is he in? What's his position? etc.

we're all ears!

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Wed, Feb 23, 2022, at 12:01 PM

In the past 22 or so years, the most impactful Fr. HS players have been the likes of Fred Thatch, PJ Farmer, Jadis Jones, BJ Williamson, Michael Porter, Otto Porter, Del Bogan, Jamarcus Williams, Tyler & Ben Hansbrough, & others I can't think of off the top of my head... All of these players played for and excelled on state championship-caliber teams within their respective classes immediately. When people discuss up-and-coming players, these are the names that flash through my head. They came in with hype and lived up to it.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Wed, Feb 23, 2022, at 12:13 PM
  • That undefeated JV apparently didn't help Woodland against Kelly. But I did see one listed in the box score.

-- Posted by Sandinista on Wed, Feb 23, 2022, at 5:42 PM
  • Kelly had three underclassman in the box score. Freshman Peters, Sophomore Eftink, and Sophomore Forck. All three have been playing varsity minutes all season. They played limited JV minutes this year so they could be available for Varsity.

-- Posted by moverandshaker on Thu, Feb 24, 2022, at 2:12 PM

Agreed, nearly our entire varsity is a jv team...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Thu, Feb 24, 2022, at 3:22 PM
  • I noticed the Jackson freshman team went 11-1 on the season so I would assume some sophomores next season might get quite a bit of PT on the varsity.

-- Posted by semocardsfan21 on Fri, Feb 25, 2022, at 5:20 PM
  • All i’m gonna say is, Campbell played 1 upperclassman this year.

Their JV team was playing Varsity all season. Improvement and more depth is on the way. Our community is hoping to get back on track to what last season had to offer.

-- Posted by CaptainC on Sat, Feb 26, 2022, at 12:31 AM
  • Cape Central JV was VERY good!!!

-- Posted by Kennett Middle School on Sat, Feb 26, 2022, at 5:49 AM
  • Are we really discussing JV teams on here?

-- Posted by Champ1974 on Sat, Feb 26, 2022, at 9:03 AM

Looks that way Champ. I'm more poking fun at it, but yap... Someone is thirsty for JV name recognition and glory.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Sat, Feb 26, 2022, at 4:31 PM
  • i agree no one cares about JV. Varsity is what matters.

-- Posted by CaptainC on Sat, Feb 26, 2022, at 4:59 PM

The best freshman the area led his team with 33 points in the district championship game & a sophomore nearly had a double double in the same Class 3 Championship game.

A sophomore has NMCC as the #1 seed and favorite to win their second straight district title.

Delta (girls) are led by 2 sophomores and a freshman.

ND’s late season success has been fueled by freshmen.

Cape Central starts a sophomore.

Sikeston starts 2 sophomore I think, one for sure. 2 get tons of PT.

These kids currently on super successful JV teams are eventually gonna move up and play the same kids currently excelling at the varsity level. Hope they enjoy that JV success.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Sat, Feb 26, 2022, at 8:52 PM
  • I do want to challenge your last statement. Just because some kids are still playing JV right now doesn’t mean they can’t still hold their own or play with underclassmen that are currently playing varsity. Development can drastically take place in offseason. Some of these kids on good JV teams may be playing JV to gain that confidence. It’s not about how you start, it’s about how you finish.

Are the kids like Farmer and Jones currently ahead of the other JV kids? Absolutely. However I don’t think it’s fair to definitely say these kids are ABSOLUTELY going to have more success in the future.

After all, Farmer and Jones are studs. You don’t players like them come around too often. I think these JV players can catch up to the likes of the other players you mentioned outside of those two.

-- Posted by CaptainC on Sun, Feb 27, 2022, at 12:40 AM

I really didn’t say they couldn’t compete or play with, what I meant was celebrate the JV success because It doesn’t translate to varsity success of the same. The “really good” players will be waiting for the rest of them to join. Chill out Captain C, we don’t need to get in our feeling over JV.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Sun, Feb 27, 2022, at 6:43 AM

Charleston’s current varsity was undefeated as a JV 2 years ago & pretty much turbo clocked everybody. Coleman was the only one that played significant varsity minutes. The rest didn’t play b/c the 2020 Charleston team was loaded with experienced seniors and finished 2nd in class 3. Last year they took their lumps but have responded so far this year to the challenge. This is also an exceptional group.

I do agree that JV successes can translate to varsity successes at the smaller school level. I should have been more clear in what I meant. Woodland and Puxico having good JV teams is great for their programs and gives them a lot to look forward to in the future, but we tend to get ahead of ourselves when it comes to Jr. High and JV successes. They still have a lot of work to do to both catch up to and compete with the kids who they will face in the next couple of years who are already at the level they’re trying to achieve.

Sikeston had a good JV, but they were mostly freshman and will see significant varsity minutes next year. ND had a good JV who were mostly freshmen and are seeing significant varsity experience already.

Charleston is who this Woodland JV will have to beat if they remain in class 3. Charleston has 5 seniors, 1 of which who starts and 4 more coming off then bench on a situational basis. NMCC could also drop back to Class 3 so there’s another team led by younger players. Portageville plays a lot of soph/jr and Caruthersville starts 4 Jrs.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Sun, Feb 27, 2022, at 8:38 AM

Anyway, I keep coming back to this but stuff tends to get taken out of context. Woodland's JV had a fine season as did their varsity. I look forward to seeing how the kids who contributed to Woodland's JV success progress as players moving forward.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Sun, Feb 27, 2022, at 11:41 AM
  • I agree with you on the small school level. if you have a good JV in class 3+, there’s a lot of work to do. But if there’s a good JV team like Puxico, sure they could possibly make something happen.

-- Posted by CaptainC on Sun, Feb 27, 2022, at 1:46 PM
  • Agent Del Bogan didnt get sny run his freshman yesr you may be thinking of Shawn Sherrel who scored 17pts as a freshman in a semifinal game in state in 2004…Bogan wasnt in the rotation in 2012 the team was too deep

-- Posted by That Dude on Sun, Feb 27, 2022, at 9:16 PM

Jayvee success does not always translate into varsity success. As a former BlueJay, we lost one game in two years as jayvees; as varsity, my junior year, we were 12-12; my senior year, we were 7-17. Many factors came into play that caused the drop off. The year after I graduated, Charleston won its first state championship; the maturation of Ricky Frazier from his freshman to sophomore year had a lot to do with that, along with the insertion of Mitch Haskins as coach.

-- Posted by birdfan on Mon, Feb 28, 2022, at 9:16 AM

Yap, that's who I'm thinking of thanks Dude. His name was on the tip of my tongue but Del was the one that came out.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Mon, Feb 28, 2022, at 12:30 PM

I also forgot to mention Ashton Farmer. I wasn't living around here then but I believe he played all 4 years too.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Mon, Feb 28, 2022, at 12:32 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: