Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Stay classy Oak Ridge

Posted by harrell02 on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 8:31 AM:

132-35. I mean itís ok when youíre trying to beat a state record right? Iím sure you will justify it with some ridiculous reason. When that game is over do you really feel proud of that? Guess thatís how you mask the feeling of Delta dropping 100+ on you a few times this year.

Either way, keep teaching those young kids how to treat others with dignity and respect.Its not like they are going to take the things they learn in school/sports and use them in their real life. ďEmbarrass those that have less than meĒ Check. ďIf Iím better than someone at something itís ok to treat them without respect if it helps me get somethingĒ Check. Stay classy!

Replies (40)

• So, just so we're clear. You'd rather teach the young kids when somebody hurts your feelings; you should lash out and complain anonymously. Check. Pot meet kettle.

-- Posted by semosportsfan3 on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 8:47 AM

So what you're saying is basically that one team sucks, so it's the other team's fault for scoring. Check. Liberal agenda.

-- Posted by FauxEinstein on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 9:37 AM
  • I donít have children and Iím not in a leadership position at a school. Definitely not same thing. No one hurt my feelings either, just pointing out how wrong this is.

Trying to change the narrative doesnít change the facts.

-- Posted by harrell02 on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 9:39 AM
  • Good grief, someone get this guy a bottle. What a baby

-- Posted by omaha on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 9:43 AM
  • When did it become a liberal agenda to treat 15-17 year old kids with respect, or to teach 15-17 year old kids to not treat others others with respect?

I understand that one team is better than the other and that sometimes the score is not going to be pretty, but 97 points is not common or needed. When youíre trying to break state records at the expense of that team, itís just not the right way to do things at the high school level.

If this was normal you would see it all the time, and you donít. Other coaches treat other teams and coaches the right way.

Itís also easy to say this when youíre not the one having to play or coach in a situation like this.

-- Posted by harrell02 on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 9:48 AM
  • So, do you want us to call up the Oak Ridge administration and have something done about it?

-- Posted by omaha on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 10:27 AM
  • I can say without a doubt, that 98% of school administrators would not be ok with their coach doing this. The Oak Ridge administration, board of education, and the coaches should be embarrassed by this.

I can promise you that my coach would be in my office this morning. This is not what we are trying to teach the young men that take part in high school athletics. The idea is to become better people through hard work and competition. To put yourself out there knowing that you might lose but at the same time youíre supposed to have adults supervising/coaching to make sure stuff like this doesnít happen.

Instead, some of these coachesmake it about themselves or they donít have the ability to be an adult to their own players to let them know that they might have different ideas on the game if they were on the other side of it. There are so many ways of making sure something like this doesnít happen, because it doesnít ďjust happenĒ. I also itís hard to find good coaches today, because no one wants to deal with all the crazy parents out there that feel like this sort of behavior is acceptable when they are good or they want to fire their coach when stuff like this happens to their kid is on the other side.

I donít know the coach at Oak Ridge, so I donít know why he would condone this type of behavior. We donít play them in basketball, and Iím glad, because they would be off our schedule today if they were. We try to challenge ourselves with our athletic schedules, but we definitely stay away from those schools that donít do things the right way. We can always find a team better than us that will treat our team and themselves with more dignity. Because thatís what high school sports are all about.

This is the lesson that is learned. Yes, you can go out there and beat someone by 100 points. You can try to be tough about it and try and make it sound like that kind of stuff just happens, or use the ďsnowflakeĒ moniker, and thatís your right. But at the same time you develop a reputation where no one wants to have anything to do with you or your district.

Itís easy to sit here and say get over it or stop being soft. Youíre not the one who is trying to make sure that your basketball program doesnít fold because the kids want to play but they donít want to lose by 100 two nights a week. Also understand that not all school districts are created the same. Could Marquand be better, maybe, but some of those kids are worried more about whether or not there will be dinner on the table instead how good their jumper is. That is not the students fault, unfortunately, itís the life theyíve been dealt. Iíve seen it everyday for the last 23 years.

High school athletics should be a place where those students can learn some stuff about hard work, dedication, teamwork, and commitment. Because a lot of them are not getting that at home.

-- Posted by bluejays on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 10:35 AM
  • I apologize for my grammar mistakes. I was trying to post this while sneaking in some lunch. On my last point, I meant to say that they get an opportunity to learn about these things in an environment where they feel safe. A lot of their life is not spent in a safe environment to fail. When this stuff happens, kids quit. If you donít think that happens, just look at how few kids play sports these days.

Just wanted to add how proud I am of my coaches, you know who you are. Three of them have already talked to me about this game and how they would never do something like that because they wouldnít want to embarrass the name on the front of the jersey the kids are wearing. Some people get it, some never do.

-- Posted by bluejays on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 10:59 AM
  • Looking at their scores this is a common occurrence during the season. I feel bad for them. I noticed Delta also beat Marquand as bad. I guess yall should have a tread against every school. I am sure it stinks but the alternative is to not play.

-- Posted by Missco1203 on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 11:14 AM
  • Its not like Oak Ridge played their starters the whole game. A coach cant tell kids to not try.

-- Posted by Missco1203 on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 11:24 AM
  • I donít condone this with any team, including Delta. I saw this score, and felt it was important to point out that it was done in poor taste. Glad Iím not the only person that sees that this was stupid. The alternative is not ďnot to playĒ. The alternative is exactly what local superintendent says, the adults have to be adults.

-- Posted by harrell02 on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 11:25 AM
  • Horrible excuse, just a cop out. You donít accidentally beat a team by 100 points. Youíve got kids scoring 40 points and setting state records? You donít know those records unless you looked them up beforehand.

Again, if this just happened, it would happen all the time. They are not the only team capable of losing by this much. Not playing your starters is not an excuse.

-- Posted by harrell02 on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 11:30 AM
  • I see both sides of this coin. You canít tell your kids ďDonít play hard, guys/girls.Ē If it were practice theyíd get in trouble. You always want your kids to go hard, practice or game night.

Other side of that same coin; there are things a coach can do to help prevent this from occurring. He/she can freely sub. Which apparently OR did. The coach can also ďcall the dogs off.Ē In other words, ratchet down the pressure D. Iím not talking one-on-one, ball pressure, necessarily. Iím referring to double-teaming the ball whether doing it at full court or at the half court. I think I heard the score after the first 8 minutes was 44-4. I hope there was no more full court pressure for the last 24 minutes. The young man who had all the steals, in my opinion, didnít need to play anymore after the first quarter (he is a starter). I know coaches like to say they want as many kids as possible to get their chance to press, etc. but letís face it, apparently there was no challenge for the younger/second teamers, so how much ďworkĒ did they actually get?

Someday the tables may be turned and the losing coach from this game has the chance to even the score with last nightís winning coach. In this scenario, weíd have a whole new set of kids paying the price for their coachís previous ďsin,Ē metaphorically speaking.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 12:25 PM
  • Wow. Lots to dissect.

1-sportsmanship matters

2-really doubting that someone who claims to be a ďLocal SuperintendentĒ would really be calling their coaches in the next day when they donít have the guts to at least let Oak Ridge know who is passively-aggressively bashing them.

3-the sun came up today. Kids are very resilient, many times to the point that they set the example for the adults.

4-Ironic that this happened to a Marquand team that is coached by Tom Brown(tom isnít on here complaining by the way)as Marquand was the opponent when a Meadow Heights team coached by Brown set the national record for 3 point shots made in a game. I doubt Tom is too worried about it.

-- Posted by Lil Uzi on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 12:27 PM
  • If the scorekeeper doesn't include the "State Record" in the box score, then this never would have been brought up. Actively looking for a state record to break against this team leaves a sour taste in the mouth for most. That being said, you can't fault the boys for playing the game. Just a poor choice to boast about the record is what this boils down to.

-- Posted by Buzz Lightyear on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 6:07 PM
  • Back in the 80's, Scott

Central girls beat Oran 130 to 15.

-- Posted by minastirith on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 6:28 PM

Yes Charleston beat SCC by like 80 earlier this year. Sometimes thereís nothing you can do. Charleston definitely called the dogs off early and I believe their top scorers for the game were bench players.

What they didnít do was try to set obscure records in the process. I think thatís the issue people are having with this game. The fact that a starter set a record for steals in a 90+ point win then posting it all over social media for the world to see is whatís rubbing people the wrong way. I donít have an opinion either way as in a firm Believer in what goes around comes around. Like Uzi said, kids are resilient and they will be fine.

Also, if being considerate of others now classifies me as a ďsnowflakeĒ then let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 6:36 PM
  • East prairie beat Delta one year. 110-17, then 2 years ago beat North Pemiscot 110-18. Who said anything?

Clearwater beat Zalma 166-53 one year, and no one batted an eye.

I coached a girls team one year that Scott Central beat 101-14, and, yes Coach Farmer pressed the whole game. I never said a thing.

As a coach, itís just something you put into the back of your mind and remember it.

Thatís why itís fun to see teams like Delta having a good year. As many times in the last decade that theyíve been beat on mercilessly, I kinda enjoy watching them give it back.

-- Posted by Slim shady on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 6:52 PM
  • The score isn't the problem. Really bad teams lose all the time by large amounts. The phony "record" is where the issue is. Then having the audacity to blast it in the newspaper and social media like it's some form of accomplishment is why people are upset about it. Just low class and for sure no feel for the situation.

-- Posted by Buzz Lightyear on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 7:52 PM
  • Layton didnít even play?

-- Posted by cardinalsfan10 on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 8:11 PM
  • It sound to me like you people want to tell the kids that working hard to improve and get better is not worth it because there is always gonna be someone or some team that don't work as hard as you and you should feel sorry for them. That's what is wrong with the world today, I suppose some of you would feel better if Oak Ridge would have given the other team some of the points they earned? As a fan of all sports I travel to watch a lot of games and have come to know several of the area athletes and have come to know the senior group of young men at Oak Ridge very well. So before you all down grade them to make yourselves or the other team feel better maybe you should go meet these boys. They seem like real class act kids that work hard to accomplish their goals. When they lose they don't just give up and ask people to slam other kids or teams on Semo Ball they go back to the gym and work to get better. As for the young man that broke the record, I have spoken to him before about his game and how he likes to play defense and was told this has been a goal of his since he entered high school and if my memory serves me correct he has come close on a few other occasion but since it was not against Marquand you all did not complain, bash, and put him down. That makes you people no better than what you accusing him of!! So again I ask should we teach kids to not shoot for their goals because it might hurt someone's feeling? It does not work like that in the real world unless you have a Bernie Sanders mentality. Just like everyone else I have the right to my opinion and really don't care what some of you think but don't bash a kid for working hard to achieving his goal, it does not matter who it is against. That is hypocritical!

-- Posted by SEBBALLFAN on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 8:38 PM
  • No one bashed the kid. Boasting about an empty record (on a 97 point win) is going to leave a bad look. There was obvious backlash. Deal with it. I am sure the kids are great and whatnot, people here are complaining about the way it was handled. Take your win, take your record, and go on your merry way.

-- Posted by Buzz Lightyear on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 8:51 PM

Sounds like someone is triggered.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 8:53 PM

Also, this is a sports forum. Having an opinion on sports isnít political, but there have been a couple on here who have tried to make it that way. Iím guilty of responding to that.

With that being said, take those juvenile political shots to Facebook where they belong and stick to sports.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 9:11 PM
  • Exactly right, your coach apparently jumped on social media and boasted about a state record, after beating a team by nearly 100 points, and hasnt won a game in years. At some point, common logic would say, this is a little to much, guess not for some folks.

-- Posted by caniplay on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 6:25 AM
  • This was all about self glorification and thatís it. Oak Ridge social media presence is their top priority.

-- Posted by MCL on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 10:10 AM
  • Curious to know what team achievements Oak Ridge has won recently such as Conf titles, Conf tournament titles, District titles, Christmas tournament titles, State titles? Honestly I donít know the answer and may be surprised by their team success.

-- Posted by MCL on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 10:21 AM

I donít think OR has ever won a district title! Not sure about conference etc

-- Posted by indian73 on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 2:10 PM
  • Feel sorry for the team next year. Been a while since I posted on this forum. This is not what oak ridge is all about

-- Posted by Oakridgefan on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 5:30 PM

Iíve seen OR play a lot over the last couple of years. A lot to me for teams Iím not associated with is 4-5. They should be proud of their accomplishments and they play hard, even when overmatched. Someone made a mistake, end of story. Good luck to them for the remainder of the season. Yíall have a good team & are rightfully proud.

Signing off from this thread. The horse is clearly dead.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 5:58 PM
  • The sad thing is the Coach is all about him. He brags on how many games and practices these kids put in but never stops to think maybe thatís why theyíre dealing with so many injuries. Before their big game last year he told the boys he was going to put in subs except for Layton so that Layton could break a scoring record. That was told to me before the game by my nephew whoís on the OR team. The coach can deny it all he wants but parents already knew the plan during the jv game and and at least one starters dad was pretty fired up about it.

-- Posted by Fan1988 on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 7:14 PM
  • Enough said, hopefully their social media presence will stop until they actually accomplish winning something as a team. If they can do that then FB might have to shut down.

-- Posted by MCL on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 7:26 PM
  • Yíall gotta stop. Lol. This is a group of adults arguing about something that those kids donít care about. The losing team donít care what record was set. The winning team is bragging about a record they set.

Do records only count if they happen in closely contested games? I can agree that a little humility should be used in this case, but the kid did set a record.

Bottom line is that yíall might be putting a little too much effort into projecting what the kids are feeling.

As far as the oak ridge coach, he runs a Facebook group and continually posts pictures and achievements of area athletes that arenít on his team.

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Sun, Feb 23, 2020, at 1:35 AM
  • It doesnít matter itís all apart of the game kids understand when they play plus oak ridge is on their last leg anyway after David and lagrand there done might as well let them enjoy it now

-- Posted by just a spec on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 12:02 AM
  • Seems to me the OR Coach just canít help himself. Thereís a reason why you donít see other coaches utilizing social media in this fashion.

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Mon, Mar 16, 2020, at 9:15 AM
  • Taxpayer, there are plenty teams that are using social media to promote their teams.

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Mon, Mar 16, 2020, at 12:20 PM
  • I run a site on Facebook to promote SEMO High School basketball for everyone in the SEMO area, but yes I do compliment my kids. So I am sorry if that offends you in any way, but I will continue to promote SEMO basketball on the site for all schools in our area of the state. Have a great day.

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Tue, Mar 17, 2020, at 5:56 AM
  • Orange and black,I just saw your comment. You said the kids donít care about this. Not true at all. Most of the kids are uncomfortable with how things have been handled, the attitude of leadership, how team members and other teams are treated. The very things being discussed here. Its a shame the admin and board have allowed this to go on. Itís also shame that a key player who should be playing at the next level in the Fall wont be due to an overuse injury.

-- Posted by Fan1988 on Fri, Jun 19, 2020, at 10:22 AM
  • Overuse injuries generally are the fault of parents(assuming itís actually a technical overuse injury).

-- Posted by Lil Uzi on Fri, Jun 19, 2020, at 11:55 AM
  • Fan1988. I donít mean to be rude. But if a kid has a problem with being beat badly, they either didnít try hard enough, or they were on a bad team. Iím a SCC guy. I didnít have a problem with teams beating the brakes off of us the last two years. It is a cycle.

And overuse issues are always a parental problem. My child has college offers to play ball, but she isnít going to play because she is burnt out. That is my fault. Not her coaches fault.

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Wed, Jun 24, 2020, at 1:26 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: