High School Basketball Forum: District tournaments

Posted by The deltan on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 7:56 AM:

Districts are just a couple of weeks away. Any thought on how some of the seedings will play out?

Replies (183)

• C2d1 going to be a tossup after the top 2

My thoughts

1.Bernie, easy choice

2.Hayti, played great down the stretch

3.Neelyville, beat Campbell h2h

4.Campbell, Plays well at home

5.Senath, impressive conf tournament

6.south pem

7.portageville

8.holcomb

-- Posted by thunder35 on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 11:39 AM
  • Portageville that low? Didnt they just take Kelly into OT?

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 11:50 AM
  • This is my thought on C1D2,

1) Delta

2) Oak Ridge

3) Gideon

4) Leopold

5) Risco

6) Richland

7) Bell City

8) SCC

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 11:58 AM

Woooow... SCC below Richland & Bell City? I'm asking because I do not know. I've only seen them play a coupe of times and have not seen Richland or Bell City play.

Someone shed some light on this? I know they got the 16 in the Christmas Tourney, but I thought that was because they were missing players.

Haven't seen Leopold or Gideon either. The rest I have so they all make sense.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 12:24 PM
  • Deltan, my thoughts are south pemiscotnhas 2 big wins over class 3 Caruthersville and have split with pville. Their loss was by 1 on a buzzer beater. Portageville doesnít really have any signature wins over better teams. Senath has a better record and holds wins over south pem and Campbell. Just my thoughts

-- Posted by thunder35 on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 12:36 PM
  • Thunder I understand. Prolly legit.

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 12:50 PM
  • Didn't Portageville beat Senath 62-17?

-- Posted by Jon Snow on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 12:53 PM
  • $ecretagentman, I really dont know about the bottom 3. I think Bell city and Richland beat each other once? SCC may have a player back is it enough to over take BC and Richland?

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 12:54 PM
  • Ok, the seeds are out on face book. The two that need to be switched is BC & SCC.

SCC is 7th and BC is 8th.

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 1:00 PM
  • Jon Snow , they did beat Senath, that would be the best win for them. Senath beat CAMPBELL and played Hayti and Cville to single digit games.

-- Posted by BFan on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 1:03 PM
  • Jon Snow, yes they do. Thatís 1 game. Senath is playing better ball, has a better record and their losses are to pretty good teams. Campbell x2 hayti x2 think Caruthersville x2 Kennett just to name a few. Not saying portageville is bad at all, they have a good team, but this district is stacked and any team 1-7 has a shot to win their 1st game no matter the seeding.

-- Posted by thunder35 on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 1:04 PM
  • Hayti just beat them 80-55 last week.

-- Posted by Jon Snow on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 1:05 PM
  • I will agree with you that Senath is playing much better than they were before Christmas. They do have a big win against Campbell.

-- Posted by Jon Snow on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 1:13 PM

I don't think SCC can beat Oak Ridge or Delta. I saw OR play Kennett TOUGH at Charleston last weekend and impressed the mess out of me. Not that I thougt they were a slouch, just Kennett is top 10 Class 3 team w/ a close loss to Charleston not long ago. OR showed up to play. I do, however, think SCC could beat any of the teams 3-7. Not saying they *would, just I think they could.

Just wondring, I know SCC is down, but I wasn't sure if they were out.. if that makes any sense at all.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 1:23 PM
  • $ecretanhentman, I dont think OR played very well in the Scott/Miss tournament better things to come from OR. I believe you are right SCC can play with anyone 3-7.

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 1:36 PM
  • Bluff

Jackson

Seckman

Northwest

or

Bluff

Seckman

Jackson

Northwest

-- Posted by cardinalnation on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 1:55 PM
  • Has Jackson played Seckman?

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 2:07 PM
  • I don't see them on the MSHSAA site, but judging from their schedules and records, I think Seckman might have the better team this year. That might just be a toss up.

-- Posted by cardinalnation on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 3:08 PM
  • Cardinal nation, I gotcha.

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 3:47 PM
  • Big match up tonight in class 2 district 3, Oran and St Vincent I believe?

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 3:50 PM
  • Does St Vincent earn the 1 seed with a win? Advance also has a very good record. If they beat Delta this week, would that be enough to catapult them to 1?

-- Posted by thunder35 on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 4:28 PM
  • If they haven't had the seed meeting yet? Yeah, St Vincent or Oran will more then likely get the #1 seed. If Advance beats Delta it may help them get the #2, not likely though.

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 5:45 PM
  • Just saw where advance and oran play nxt week

-- Posted by thunder35 on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 6:08 PM
  • Oran beat St. Vincent tonight, 57-51.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Wed, Feb 12, 2020, at 11:13 PM
  • Will the district meeting be after the oran advance game?

-- Posted by thunder35 on Thu, Feb 13, 2020, at 5:40 AM
  • Any idea when Oran will get the Priggel kid back? They will be tough for anyone to handle if he comes back full strength for districts.

-- Posted by dustymom on Thu, Feb 13, 2020, at 5:52 AM

Toe, no seed meeting is today.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Thu, Feb 13, 2020, at 8:20 AM
  • C2D1

1 Bernie

2 Hayti

3 Neelyville

4 Campbell

(I think those are set in stone)

5 P'ville(Despite Senath's 1/2 game "better record", 62-17 goes a long way, plus losses are to similar teams, so I don't buy the Senath should be ahead of P'ville because they lost to good teams argument)

6 Senath (Playing "better" ball may be true, but still 3-6 in the last month)

7 S Pem

8 Holcomb

Whoever gets the 7 seed is going to feel like they got the shaft. We are really splitting hairs for those 3 teams. Nearly identical records, with nearly identical teams played(Senath has probably played the weakest schedule, P'ville the toughest)

-- Posted by omaha on Thu, Feb 13, 2020, at 8:25 AM
  • Word out of Oran is Priggle could be ready to play by Districts. Still a wait and see as he is a big time baseball player as well.

-- Posted by Basketball Is Life on Thu, Feb 13, 2020, at 8:47 AM
  • Omaha, honestly the 5,6,and 7 doesnít matter you still get Hayti, neelyville, or Campbell. All of which could be a 1-2 seed in most other districts.

-- Posted by thunder35 on Thu, Feb 13, 2020, at 10:07 AM
  • I would say that it does matter to them. None of those teams have beaten Hayti and since the Bloomfield Christmas Tournament, none of the 3 have played them within 10 points.(Since they got back to full strength.)

Neelyville is a wild card since the only team of the 3 they have played is South Pemiscot(Beat SP by 2).

Campbell has lost to Senath and played another tight one. So I think that Senath would like to see them again, rather than Hayti(0-3 with the last one being a 25 point loss) or Neelyville(whom they haven't played).

-- Posted by omaha on Thu, Feb 13, 2020, at 11:03 AM
  • we shall see how it plays out.

-- Posted by thunder35 on Thu, Feb 13, 2020, at 11:20 AM
  • How many times have Delta and Oak Ridge played this year?

-- Posted by Jon Snow on Thu, Feb 13, 2020, at 11:30 AM
  • Delta is 4-0 vs. Oak Ridge this season. If they play a 5th time this season it would be in the district championship game.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Thu, Feb 13, 2020, at 11:40 AM
  • C2D1 , As Follows 1 - Bernie ,2- Hayti , 3- Neelyville , 4- Campbell , 5 - Pville , 6 ) Senath , 7 - South pem , 8- Holcomb . Just released .

-- Posted by mark manley on Thu, Feb 13, 2020, at 12:25 PM

C2D3

1. Oran

2. St. Vincent

3. Advance

4. Valle

5. Meadow Heights

6. Chaffee

7. Puxico

8. Bloomfield

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Thu, Feb 13, 2020, at 1:45 PM
  • Sounds about right.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Thu, Feb 13, 2020, at 2:27 PM

If my memory is correct one of Coach Macs district titles at NMCC was when 2 other district opponents(dexter/doniphan) were state ranked and the eagles emerged as district champs. This year 2 other district opponent(Charleston/Kennett) are state ranked... can the eagles repeat that feat this year?

-- Posted by indian73 on Thu, Feb 13, 2020, at 4:17 PM

Actually I think NMCC beat doniphan and Charleston beat Dexter in semis....then NMCC defeated Ctown for district championship!

-- Posted by indian73 on Thu, Feb 13, 2020, at 4:33 PM
  • When are Class 4 and 5 announced?

-- Posted by cd23 on Fri, Feb 14, 2020, at 3:22 PM
  • Classes 4 and 5 will be seeding next week.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Fri, Feb 14, 2020, at 8:38 PM
  • Any information on the class 4 & 5 district seedings?

-- Posted by The deltan on Thu, Feb 20, 2020, at 1:41 PM
  • C4D1

1. Notre Dame

2. Cape Central

3. Sikeston

4. Dexter

5. Ste. Genevieve

6. Perryville

-- Posted by omaha on Thu, Feb 20, 2020, at 2:59 PM
  • Any idea how the girlsí seedings came out for C4,D1? I know Ste.Gen. has only one loss, but I feel they shouldnít be the favorite.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Thu, Feb 20, 2020, at 11:50 PM
  • ToeTheLine, Ste. Gen is the number 1 seed Sikeston is 4th. As for the rest of the bracket you can't get it. Its malfunction on MSHSAA web site.

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 7:28 AM
  • From Mshsaa Website

1. Ste. Gen

2. Notre Dame

3. Cape Central

4. Sikeston

5. Dexter

6. Perryville

-- Posted by omaha on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 7:32 AM
  • Thanks Omaha, for some reason on my phone I couldn't get the full bracket.

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 7:51 AM
  • Could be a user error haha

-- Posted by omaha on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 9:41 AM
  • Thanks, The deltan and omaha.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 11:37 AM
  • I think that Senath-Hornesville will beat Neelyvile Saturday in the district tournament at Cambell. Senath has the best post player in Lopez, and two of the best guards. I also think they have best coach in the district. He has turned the program around.

I watched Gideon and Cambell play. Cambell has the best player in the Boothill, but has no other players that really standed out. No bench at all. Fowler will have to score at least half of there points for them to win any game beyond the first one. Hayti is very athletic and prolly will win the whole thing. Have not seen Bernie play, but they usually good. Good luck to all teams. Go Lions!

-- Posted by cotton plant on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 7:28 PM
  • C3D2

1.Scott City

2.Kelly

3.Arcadia Valley

4.Saxony Lutheran

5.Clearwater

6.Fredericktown

7.West County

8.Woodland

-- Posted by tlcinc on Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 9:31 PM
  • Cotton Plant, you obviously need to watch more basketball. However, I do believe coach Clark is a very good coach.

-- Posted by thunder35 on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 8:09 AM
  • Clark is a decent coach but not the best coach in that district. That is laughable. He isnt even in the top 4.

-- Posted by Missco1203 on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 11:04 AM
  • Lopez is injured and will not be playing today from what I was told.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 12:13 PM
  • Started this morning at Kennett at 11:00 watching cousins son , Donnie Brown , play for NMCC. Now at Campbell to watch close family friendís son , Charlie Parker, play for Campbell against Portageville in 1:00 game. Then headed for Bell City for 3:30 game to see my summertime irrigation hole puncher , Hayden Ludwig, play for Risco against Leopold. Great time of year. Ne d to talk to Kerwin about a same day admission band for multiple locations.

-- Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 12:57 PM
  • Campbell and Pville in OT. Travel schedule under duress

-- Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 2:29 PM

Pville upsets Campbell 44-42 in OT.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 2:47 PM
  • Pville by 2. 44-42 final

-- Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 2:47 PM
  • How many points did Fowler have ?

-- Posted by Jon Snow on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 3:21 PM
  • What defense did portageville play to keep it such a low scoring game??!

-- Posted by bootheelball on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 3:23 PM
  • They played man to man but just face guarded Fowler all night. Neither team shot the ball well so both teams played at a slow pace to grind out possessions.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 3:35 PM
  • Campbell stalled almost entire 4th quarter and OT and ended up costing them

-- Posted by thunder35 on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 4:45 PM

I never was a fan of sitting on a small lead with the ole stall game! Takes away momentum and most of the time will get your ... beat!

-- Posted by indian73 on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 4:53 PM
  • I agree, Campbell had the tools to run and score but went away from it. This will be a tough loss to get over

-- Posted by thunder35 on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 5:09 PM

So much to look forward to after beating NMCC in the Riverbend. Basketball is a strange sport.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 5:59 PM

I would be willing to bet Campbell could play NMCC 10 times now and not win one of them! Just one of those early season(lucky) wins!

-- Posted by indian73 on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 6:16 PM
  • 1-Campbell likely wonít play Nmcc again for awhile. Doesnít matter. They beat them last November.

2-Indian73, you were not at todayís game. You donít know Jack about momentum being gained or lost because you were not there. Kick rocks, jabroni

3-excuse me. I just ďBelchedĒ. Anyway. I guess since a select few Campbell fans have been blaming officials all year after losses, THUNDER decided to shift the blame to the coach.

4-Campbell had a good year. Somebody has to lose. Maybe, just maybe, Portageville played a great game?

-- Posted by Lil Uzi on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 6:27 PM
  • Not blaming the coach at all ďpop gunĒ but if you were there you would have saw yourself the stall game didnít work like it was designed to. We just didnít convert. If we did Campbell would have won. Portageville was in foul trouble and Campbell was in drivers seat it just didnít work out as planned. Portageville played very hard and wanted it thatís for sure.

-- Posted by thunder35 on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 6:45 PM
  • Youíre backtracking quicker than a politician. But hey, at least there arenít any threats to post the game on Facebook.

-- Posted by Lil Uzi on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 6:55 PM
  • Thunder35, maybe Fowlerís supporting cast just isnít as talented as you and the other parents think they are. Maybe you guys should stop worrying about the officials costing you games or the coach not doing the right thing in a loss and instead focus your efforts on what your kids need to do to improve(rather than tell them how great they are all the time).

-- Posted by omaha on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 7:03 PM

lil Uzi how do you know if I was at the game or not? Youíre full of ....

-- Posted by indian73 on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 7:12 PM
  • No cell signal at Bell City but Risco beat Leopold 71-64

-- Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 7:44 PM
  • I was in attendance. Campbell only had one guard who could score and he was getting double teamed nearly every possession. I donít know how they had the tools to run away with it, otherwise what prevented them from having a 15pt lead going into the final 3 minutes of the game? Campbellís supporting cast just didnít show up this afternoon. It happens. I hate it for them, but I feel like the better team today won. #0 & #23 from PíVille played a very good 2nd half despite both having 4 fouls very early. (And I donít understand some of those fouls called on them, however, thatís an entire different conversation.)

-- Posted by semosportsfan3 on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 8:05 PM
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^^^We have a winner!!! DING DING DING

-- Posted by Lil Uzi on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 8:24 PM
  • How many points did Fowler have?

Iím sure he has been faceguarded and doubled all year....so supporting cast just pick a bad time to not perform???

-- Posted by bootheelball on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 8:35 PM
  • I donít know Fowlerís points off hand bootheel, sorry.

But to answer your second question; yes the other Camels just struggled against Portagevilleís defense. It was a slow, grind out ballgame from start to finish. Both teams played hard and physical. Portageville isnít as talented offensively as Campbell, but today Campbell just couldnít put it in the hole.

-- Posted by semosportsfan3 on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 8:47 PM
  • You can see the summit, but you just canít reach it,

Itís the last piece of the puzzle but you just canít make it fit,

Doctor says youíre cured, but you still can feel the pain,

Aspirations in the clouds as your hope goes down the drain.

-- Posted by Slim shady on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 9:17 PM
  • Nice ,slim, but how about iambic pentameter for itís pleasing rythim next time.

-- Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 9:58 PM
  • Err, rhythm

-- Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 10:00 PM
  • 😄😄😄😄

-- Posted by Slim shady on Sat, Feb 22, 2020, at 10:06 PM
  • Surfgurl_09, some tough ballgames tonight at Bell City. Are you going? We only hope that Layton is a go for tonight's game.

-- Posted by The deltan on Mon, Feb 24, 2020, at 10:27 AM
  • The deltan, yes definitely tough games coming up tonight, and I will be there. David is so valuable to our team, even when heís not scoring 30 a game. I too hope he can go.

In my opinion, if Risco can keep the turnovers down, and guard the 3 pt line a little, they could make it a good game with Delta. Easier said than done though. Your six seniors, just like ours, will be hungry and laying it all on the line.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Mon, Feb 24, 2020, at 1:18 PM
  • Surfgurl_09, I agree, Saturday was some of the best defense Delta has played in a while. Hopefully we can all get on board with the 3s if we can, game over. That's a big if,,lol

-- Posted by The deltan on Mon, Feb 24, 2020, at 1:44 PM
  • I was disappointed with Senath-Hornesville's loss to Neelyvile Saturday night, but was impressed with how Coach Clarke brought his team back from an early whole to make it a good game. Neelyville is good, too. Clarke has certainely turned that program around. I think the last two years they have won 25 games. (I still wish he was the baseball coach too, as he turned that program around, also.)

South Pemiscott played Hayti better than I thought they would. I had a feeling Cambell would lose, but i didnt think it would be in the first round. The coache's son is all they have. (If the coache's son werent on that team, they might not win 5 games)

I think Portageville might upset Bernie and Neelyvile might beat Hayti. But i'll say Portageville and Hayti will play in finals. Good luck to all teams.

-- Posted by cotton plant on Mon, Feb 24, 2020, at 4:14 PM
  • Portageville will not beat Bernie.

-- Posted by Missco1203 on Mon, Feb 24, 2020, at 8:29 PM
  • Kelly advances to district championship. Will face Scott City Friday

-- Posted by cardinalsfan10 on Mon, Feb 24, 2020, at 9:23 PM
  • Oak Ridge vs Delta for C1D2 championship Thursday

Meeting #5 this season.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Mon, Feb 24, 2020, at 9:31 PM

Ok. So they met regular season, Xmas tourney, conf tourney, now district finals. Whatís the other time these 2 met this year? Statistically speaking, itís rare to meet up with one team 5 times in a high school basketball season.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Mon, Feb 24, 2020, at 9:42 PM
  • Secretagent- Woodland Tournament championship game.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Mon, Feb 24, 2020, at 9:57 PM
  • Y'all look pretty good tonight surfgurl_09, both of those teams play in same conference. I guess they got a taste of the Scott/Miss conference tonight. I will say this neither team ever quit they played hard till the end.

-- Posted by The deltan on Mon, Feb 24, 2020, at 10:18 PM
  • The deltan, I was thinking that exact same thing last night as I watched the games. Top half of Scott-Miss conference are tough draws for anybody in these district tournaments. C3D2 has two Scott-Miss teams in championship just like we do.

I thought we got after it pretty good on defense last night. Will have to hit on all cylinders to win Thursday night. Itís going to be one heck of an atmosphere.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 8:02 AM
  • Anyone know if Delta game is on the radio for the title game? I am unable to attend but would like to see if they can hold off Oak Ridge or if 5 times is one time too many for the Bobcats.

-- Posted by Buzz Lightyear on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 8:09 AM
  • Buzz Lightyear, not that I'm aware of at this time. I dont know if anyone else knows anything or not? However if you have a facebook account it will be live streamed on Bell City High School Facebook. I believe?

-- Posted by The deltan on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 9:11 AM
  • Surfgurl_09, I thought so to on y'alls defense. Hahn done something I dont think I've seen him do this year, that putting Dale Lincoln and Crader in there together. Totally dominating the boards.

-- Posted by The deltan on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 9:16 AM
  • Also Kelly and Scott City's 4th time meeting this year. Should be a thriller.

-- Posted by cardinalsfan10 on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 11:49 AM
  • cardinalsfan10, I agree, it will be like having two pitbulls in cage fight,,lol

-- Posted by The deltan on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 12:43 PM
  • 4 Scott-Mississippi Conference teams in the district finals, and not one of them Scott Central. Has that ever happened??

-- Posted by Slim shady on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 1:26 PM
  • Slim shady, to my knowledge, NO,,,LOL

-- Posted by The deltan on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 1:46 PM
  • The deltan, I can see the logic in that, and Iím not surprised that it was effective.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 2:36 PM
  • New Madrid county had two schools in the state final in 1968. Has that ever happened anywhere else in SEMO. Did Sikeston and Scott central do it?

-- Posted by Ernie D on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 2:43 PM
  • Tom Davis article about Scott City and Kelly says Kelly has never won a district title. Technically that may be true but in 1974 they won their regional then lost to Lilbourn in first round of state at poplar bluff. I donít know the year Missouri switched from the larger regional format to the district one.

-- Posted by Ernie D on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 3:21 PM
  • 2011 Scott Central and Sikeston both won state championships.

-- Posted by Slim shady on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 3:23 PM
  • Hey slim, was the urhahn on the Ď74 Kelly team named Kenny. Urhahn played with Jeff Jackson,formerly from Parma,along with Mothershead and Kern.

-- Posted by Ernie D on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 3:38 PM
  • Back in the day when they called them regionals it was primarily two districts facing off. Usually in class S or class A the two best from each district you might call them would face off to try to win the regional. I dont know when it all changed to districts. To me winning a district is a lot easier than winning a regional.

-- Posted by The deltan on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 3:57 PM
  • Basically a regional was a 16 team tourney with the first two rounds at split sites. It took an eight game winning streak to win a state championship where as now it takes seven and in some instances six.for example Thayer could win class 2 in six this year since they had a first round bye at Van Buren

-- Posted by Ernie D on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 4:03 PM
  • You are correct, Ernie. Kenny Urhahn played for Kelly then.

-- Posted by Slim shady on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 4:22 PM
  • In the early 80ís they began calling them districts. Actually Class 1 (or 1A as it used to be called) had a sub-district setup where they would actually play 5 games in the state tournament.

-- Posted by Slim shady on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 4:58 PM
  • Kelly won a district title in 1999

-- Posted by Just.watching on Tue, Feb 25, 2020, at 8:13 PM
  • I'm a couple days late, I know, but WOW.

@cottonplant you absolutely love the letter "E" don't you? Adding it to words regardless if they need it or not!

-- Posted by semosportsfan3 on Wed, Feb 26, 2020, at 10:20 AM
  • cotton plant is def trolling

-- Posted by Jon Snow on Wed, Feb 26, 2020, at 11:22 AM
  • It appears that delta gbb has resorted to cheating. Do they not know that practicing at the gym where the districts are being played is against the rules? Hmm. Maybe itís because they have a coach that isnít familiar with the rules.

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Wed, Feb 26, 2020, at 12:23 PM
  • Tell us more, orangeandblack.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Wed, Feb 26, 2020, at 1:24 PM
  • I was so excited to see what was coming next after your paragraph started like this:

"It appears that delta gbb has resorted to cheating"

However, what followed was incredibly disappointing. I was hoping to hear how Delta had acquired a 6'2 phenom or something

-- Posted by cd23 on Wed, Feb 26, 2020, at 2:30 PM
  • Trust me our coach knows the rules very well!! Please explain to me how this is cheating?? Is there something in the rule books that you could share with the rest of us? I would like to know?? Or is this orange and black just a little salty or worried?

-- Posted by priscillahornbuckle5 on Wed, Feb 26, 2020, at 3:04 PM
  • Recent additions to the MSHSAA Basketball Manual Terms and Conditions: 1. No practice sessions are allowed at the district host site before or during the district tournament for all nonhost schools assigned to the district.

https://www.mshsaa.org/resources/pdf/1920BasketballManual.pdf

-- Posted by johndaniel on Wed, Feb 26, 2020, at 4:50 PM
  • Interesting rule.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Wed, Feb 26, 2020, at 5:04 PM

Slim Shady and Ernie D.... Kelly won in Ď73 by beating Charleston who I played for. Richie and Kenny Urhahn, Jeff Jackson, Denny Shelby and Randy Thompson. Class M Regional played at Richland; Kelly was #1 seed and we were seeded low but we had two upsets to reach the finals and gave Kelly all they could handle in the championship. Our star player was All-Stater Alvin Pierce who played for Gene Bess at Three Rivers.

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Feb 27, 2020, at 12:08 AM
  • Bird fan,didnít Albri Cassell play at three rivers also? Was Henry Hall on that team or did he finish in 72? Also,didnít class M have a range of 250-750 enrollment? Made for some imposing matchups. Hard to imagine Mathews being a class M school much less winning the tournament.

-- Posted by Ernie D on Thu, Feb 27, 2020, at 5:52 AM
  • Orange and black-thatís lame, I doubt anyone wants to look too close at all the teams if you want to be technical on every rule and what extent

-- Posted by jackieF80 on Thu, Feb 27, 2020, at 9:23 AM
  • Jackie, which rules do you think we should/shouldnít enforce. Which rules are ďlameĒ to you? If a coach decides to break the rules, he probably thinks it is giving his team an advantage, right? Or does a coach break rules just for the fun of it?

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Thu, Feb 27, 2020, at 9:32 AM
  • Coaches have a designated area in front of their bench they are to stay within during game play. Most of them donít strictly adhere to this rule. Is that considered ďcheatingĒ as well?

-- Posted by jackieF80 on Thu, Feb 27, 2020, at 9:38 AM
  • When did Delta's girls hold a practice at Bell City's gym?

-- Posted by omaha on Thu, Feb 27, 2020, at 9:50 AM
  • Jackie, I would consider that a rules violation. Not cheating.

Is that the only rule you donít want to see enforced?

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Thu, Feb 27, 2020, at 10:08 AM
  • Omaha, earlier this week from what I understand.

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Thu, Feb 27, 2020, at 10:09 AM
  • Good grief. Can a select few of you wake up and join this realm of what 99% of us call REALITY? You're a fool if you actually think that Bell City's Superintendent allowed Delta's girls to come to their gym and practice. Please, please, and PLEASE DO NOT JUMP ON THE TURNIP TRUCK THE NEXT TIME IS COMES DOWN YOUR STREET!

-- Posted by Lil Uzi on Thu, Feb 27, 2020, at 10:14 AM
  • Lil uzi, from what I understand, delta has already admitted to it.

The turnip truck is leaving you behind. Lol

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Thu, Feb 27, 2020, at 10:39 AM
  • Thankfully, I'm allergic to Turnips. HA HA HA HA

-- Posted by Lil Uzi on Thu, Feb 27, 2020, at 10:42 AM
  • Orangeandblack-whatís the difference between a rule violation and cheating except one of them sounds prettier then the other #snowflake. Moving on, if you heard a first hand confession to whomever it matters then ok, if not then donít be putting stuff out there that may be hearsay gossip, out of context, etc.

-- Posted by jackieF80 on Thu, Feb 27, 2020, at 11:15 AM
  • Thereís a lot of ďfrom what I understandĒ going on here ORANGEANDBLACK, if the whole season comes down to one practice whatever that means, Iíd say the opponents must be pretty weak or pathetic to win a trophy

-- Posted by jackieF80 on Thu, Feb 27, 2020, at 11:19 AM
  • Jackie, I have tried to remain cordial. I will continue to try even though you seem to not understand why rules are in place.

Let me ask you this. Is a foul cheating or is it a rules violation? Hope that clears it up a bit for you.

The people who have confirmed that delta did have a practice at bell city are from bell city and delta. Take that for what itís worth.

If that practice means nothing, then why would delta take the chance of getting busted for it? Apparently it meant something to delta. Who is pathetic? The team trying to cheat, or the team that calls them out on it? Donít get mad at the ones doing it right.

And lastly, your example of coaches leaving the box during a game, SCC got called for that very thing late in the fourth quarter just last year in the district championship against Risco. So......

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Thu, Feb 27, 2020, at 11:34 AM
  • Orange and Black-I still donít believe that Delta had an actual full blown practice. Delta coach has ties to BC. Maybe he took them to watch a BC practice because his former player is the BC coach? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

-- Posted by Lil Uzi on Thu, Feb 27, 2020, at 11:25 PM
  • lil uzi. We will never know for sure what they did while there. You are correct that delta coach has ties to bell city. Why would he take them to watch a bell city practice early this week when bell city was eliminated this past Saturday? No sour grapes here. I wish both delta teams all the best. Should we not discuss violations in this sports forum? Or should we just ignore violations because itís not a big violation?

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Thu, Feb 27, 2020, at 11:37 PM
  • If your district is held at a neutral site no one is allowed to practice on that floor. As johndaniel mentioned above, only the host school is allowed to practice on their floor. Iím not trying to take anything away from the Delta players, but this is a clear violation if it actually occurred. I have no idea what the penalty might be if the MSHSAA were to get involved and find these accusations to be true. Iíd hate to see the girls be stripped of a district title. If true, the adults involved should be disciplined some how. Unfortunately, the kids could end up paying a price as well ... if true.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Fri, Feb 28, 2020, at 1:00 AM
  • Toe, it was reported. But SCC said they wanted to play the game. I believe that took care of any punishments when SCC didnít push the issue.

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Fri, Feb 28, 2020, at 1:08 AM
  • To me, orangeandblack, it shouldnít be over. Again, if true, it should somehow be addressed. Someone involved has a history with the MSHSAA and their rules.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Fri, Feb 28, 2020, at 7:21 AM
  • Toe the line, I agree 100 hundred percent. The problem is that the coach wonít be the one that gets hit. Any punishment would hit those girls harder than it would the coach.

And it is true. Even the coach has admitted to it. Even though he is trying to down play it as not really a practice.

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Fri, Feb 28, 2020, at 10:17 AM
  • Congrats to Delta girls for winning the championship! How about we talk about the kids and the teams instead of griping about where 1 practice was held(legal or illegal).

If you are that concerned, give Mshsaa a call (573) 875-4880.

-- Posted by omaha on Fri, Feb 28, 2020, at 10:31 AM
  • Omaha, mshsaa was called.

We were talking about the kids. We were saying that they shouldnít be punished for what a coach did. Delta has some hard working girls and they earned that win last night.

And the practice was illegal. We are past the point of debating that.

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Fri, Feb 28, 2020, at 10:39 AM
  • Then why are we still talking about it?

-- Posted by omaha on Fri, Feb 28, 2020, at 10:48 AM
  • Then why are we still talking about it?

-- Posted by omaha on Fri, Feb 28, 2020, at 10:48 AM
  • Omaha, no one is making you talk about it. That choice is yours to make.

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Fri, Feb 28, 2020, at 10:51 AM
  • Jealousy is one of the seven deadly sins.

-- Posted by Slim shady on Fri, Feb 28, 2020, at 12:20 PM
  • How about this one?

Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but he who makes his ways crooked will be found out.

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Fri, Feb 28, 2020, at 12:32 PM
  • Or this one...

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize?

-- Posted by Slim shady on Fri, Feb 28, 2020, at 12:43 PM
  • Is that biblical, or are we back to sports?

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Fri, Feb 28, 2020, at 12:48 PM
  • Like all things, it is up to oneís own interpretation.

-- Posted by Slim shady on Fri, Feb 28, 2020, at 1:21 PM
  • Bernie over Hayti. Final

-- Posted by nicholasbdillinger on Fri, Feb 28, 2020, at 9:27 PM
  • Slim, sorry for the late response. What is there to be interpreted wrong? David admitted to having the practice. It was against the rules. What other interpretation is there?

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Wed, Mar 4, 2020, at 12:47 PM
  • Ok, Orange and Black, I get your point. It will remain up to MSHSAA to decide what punishment will occur. Chances are likely there wonít be.

Another question for you. I know that you are a fan of the Orange and Black, as is your moniker. Answer this question carefully because you and I both know the answer.

In the last 45 years or so, have there never been any improprieties at the school you support? (Besides the person in question that you are hammering.)

No illegal scrimmages in the off-season or preseason? No magic move-ins?

Two wrongs donít make a right, but the irony is rich.

-- Posted by Slim shady on Wed, Mar 4, 2020, at 3:55 PM

I think itís well known and established that Deltaís coach will bend the rules as much as he can to obtain an advantage, even to the point of ever so slightly breaking the small ones from time to time. He knows there will be some blowback, something that does not concern him, but there will be no actual consequences.

Itís not a big deal. Itís unethical, but itís not the end of the world.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Wed, Mar 4, 2020, at 5:33 PM
  • Slim. I donít believe there should be a harsh punishment. But a punishment (to the coach) should be administered. He broke the rules. He is known for breaking the rules. If there is no deterrent to the rules being broken, why bother with rules at all?

Your next question will probably cause a good debate. Has SCC had illegal scrimmages? Yes, they have. Have they been caught having these scrimmages? If caught, they should be punished.

And now to the magic move ins. You will need to be more specific for me to answer that question. Who are these move ins? And did the school recruit these kids?

You are correct, two wrongs donít make a right. One doesnít either.

This is where we probably differ. Parents and kids make a decision to go to a certain school. If you are gonna accuse a school of recruiting, the school has to recruit. I donít think that is the case with SCC. You have kids from Sikeston that are sitting the bench with Sikeston. Those parents/kids decide to go to SCC. That doesnít mean that the school recruited anyone.

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Thu, Mar 5, 2020, at 12:33 PM
  • Delta vs Dora Saturday wondering how good Delta is? Dora is scary good.

-- Posted by 4REAL on Thu, Mar 5, 2020, at 12:37 PM
  • Secret. You are correct. It isnít the end of the world. But do we turn our heads from a coach cheating? Especially a coach that has a history of cheating? At what point does mshsaa say enough is enough?

And let me be clear. SCC coaches told mshsaa that they wanted to play the game. They did the right thing. Did that one practice make a difference in our game? I donít think it did. Delta played hard and earned the win. I do not want to see those girls pay for what their coach did.

But the coach should be punished.

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Thu, Mar 5, 2020, at 12:46 PM
  • 4real, Dora is scary good. I hope delta wins, but they will have to be hitting on all cylinders to pull it off.

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Thu, Mar 5, 2020, at 12:48 PM
  • I agree with orangeandblack. He needs "another slap on the wrist." Maybe this time a bit harder. Or maybe turn him around and aim a bit lower.

What bothers me is I've seen articles of his published saying all the right things. But when it comes to doing the right thing Ö a different story.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Thu, Mar 5, 2020, at 4:52 PM
  • Congrats to the Poplar Bluff girls and the Jackson boys for taking home victories in Class 5 District 1. Also, congrats to ND girls for their C4D1 championship over Ste. Gen!

-- Posted by cd23 on Thu, Mar 5, 2020, at 10:23 PM
  • I may be a day late and a dollar short. But, did anyone notice that the 3 point line at TRC is back a bit from the usual high school line. Bernie, who lives and dies on their three point shooting lost out of the state tournament because of a horrible shooting night. I recommend no more win or go home games at TRC.

-- Posted by elrod48 on Fri, Mar 6, 2020, at 8:07 PM
  • Weird game between Central and ND with ND pulling it out in double OT 38-37

-- Posted by Champ1974 on Fri, Mar 6, 2020, at 9:56 PM
  • Can you watch the delta vs Dora game online?

-- Posted by ballgoods on Fri, Mar 6, 2020, at 10:22 PM
  • After tonight, Notre Dame has made me want a shot clock in MO high school bball

-- Posted by cd23 on Fri, Mar 6, 2020, at 11:06 PM
  • cd23: what if Central would have come out and forced the action?

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Fri, Mar 6, 2020, at 11:18 PM
  • Like a boxing match, but both fighters stand in the corner until the last few seconds. Play Basketball, itís why you showed up! Any coach who wants to argue different needs to quit on the spot.

-- Posted by caniplay on Sat, Mar 7, 2020, at 6:30 AM
  • That was unequivocally the worst basketball game I have ever seen. Also, ND's coach is practically a 6th man on the floor when his team has the ball. I'm surprised they let him stand near the 3 point line.

-- Posted by Vikings77 on Sat, Mar 7, 2020, at 9:18 AM
  • Holding the ball is a strategy. Who cares if it is boring or not? There should never be a shot clock in HS basketball. Why reward a team for standing around for 35 seconds by forcing the offense to shoot? Double team, trap, foul, do something on defense. The egalitarian crap that both teams should have the ball equally is absurd.

And I applaud a team that can be patient and not throw it away. Sometimes it works, sometimes it backfires. They are kids.

-- Posted by Slim shady on Sat, Mar 7, 2020, at 9:24 AM
  • Cape had a good defensive game plan. Notre Dame couldnít get anything going inside the paint, so ND made a tactical decision to try to force the Tigers to come out and guard them.

It was a battle of wills and I found it fascinating. Itís nobodyís favorite style to watch, but I have a lot of respect for both coaches, and both teams for the discipline and heart they showed.

-- Posted by Fish on Sat, Mar 7, 2020, at 9:58 AM
  • Itís awful, and should never be part of a great game. If you support it, check yourself

-- Posted by caniplay on Sat, Mar 7, 2020, at 12:49 PM

I've thought about this and decided I'm team "No Shot Clock" for HS basketball. Floyd Mayweather is one of the greatest pound for pound boxers to ever step in the ring and 27 of his 50 professional wins are KO. He's known for basically ducking and dodging his opponents' punches. Would boxing make a rule the only way to win is a KO? Nope & they shouldn't. There's a reason I don't pay for Mayweather fights, they're boring to me. That's my choice. But plenty of people still do. The same reason people still fill the stands for games like this. It's a strategy and are turning their offense into a defense. If that makes any sense. Shot clock would remove a strategy from the game and the backbone for a lot of successful coaches.

That's my opinion.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Sat, Mar 7, 2020, at 1:34 PM
  • Elrod, on the 3 point line situation. There is a double 3 point line. The deep one is for the boys in college, the short one for the girls. When there is a high school game there, they can use the girls 3 point line(high school distance). Itís that way anytime you play on a college floor.

-- Posted by omaha on Sat, Mar 7, 2020, at 4:25 PM
  • Weird game between Central and ND with ND pulling it out in double OT 38-37

-- Posted by Champ1974 on Sun, Mar 8, 2020, at 8:40 AM
  • Oops. Post resubmitted. I agree that ND played it right. If the game is tied and Central is unwilling to guard you, why not play for the last shot? Nothing to lose. You either win or go to another OT, which is exactly what happened. It appeared ND won it in regulation anyway but for some reason the winning shot was ruled to be released after the buzzer, but the ball was out of his hands with about 0.9 seconds left.

-- Posted by Champ1974 on Sun, Mar 8, 2020, at 8:54 AM
  • Most fans are impulsive. They want results quickly. Itís understandable because they donít understand a coaches job. All of this talk from fans about its boring and it costs teams games is really based on ignorance as there are many factors that determine whether a game is won or lost. . Officiating also plays into it. If officials are going to allow a game to be super physical it sometimes benefits them to enact a different style of play.

Itís been an interesting year in SEMO high school basketball. We have some Fans complaining about teams stalling(fact is, most donít know the definition of stalling and often confuse holding for the last shot of a quarter or game as stalling) or we have experts talking about how teams like Delta donít play any defense. I can tell you this. It provides great entertainment for those of us that actually do know what is going on.

-- Posted by Lil Uzi on Mon, Mar 9, 2020, at 2:12 PM
  • Perfectly said uzi, within the rules and officiating teams and coaches try and do whatís needed to get them to the next round. Hopefully our bulldogs boys and girls can do the same as the eagles teams Good luck to all the semo area teams in their journeys to win a state title

-- Posted by Gr8sports on Mon, Mar 9, 2020, at 2:49 PM
  • Lol Uzi, maybe you can explain this to me? I know it looked like this basketball season Delta did not play any defense right? However, Eric Berry is 4th and Grant Coomer is like 7th in the state on steals. The Delta team prior to the Dora game was 7 steals away from setting a state record for the most steals. My question is for a team not the play defense how are setting these records posible?

-- Posted by The deltan on Tue, Mar 10, 2020, at 9:54 AM
  • deltan: It's made possible because Delta's possessions are very short, allowing more opportunities for steals. The game was proof the "system" is not fool-proof against teams who, likewise, can play uptempo and shoot as well, if not better.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Tue, Mar 10, 2020, at 11:15 AM
  • semo7178, I agree with your theory, however, for people to say they never play defense, I have scratch my head on that one.

-- Posted by The deltan on Tue, Mar 10, 2020, at 11:25 AM

Steals do not mean a team plays good defense. If anything, their press is pretty hectic and causes chaos against teams w/o good guards. We would need stats like opposition FG%, oppo PPG, oppo points in transition, how the defense stacked up when a team was able to setup an offense.

Delta had a good year, probably one of the better basketball seasons in school history. But don't go overboard, the strategy was to score as much as possible and not worry about running an actual defense other than the press.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Tue, Mar 10, 2020, at 12:13 PM
  • The defense stacked up well enough to win 25 games and reach a state quarterfinal. Thatís not a good year. Thatís a GREAT YEAR. It stacked up well enough to beat Scott City(a district champion) and beat Oran(Final Four in class 2). Last time anyone with any basketball sense checked, Oran was pretty good at setting up a Half court offense. Did things look helter skelter at times? Of course. But the press is an actual defense and Delta used that defense to win 25 games.

-- Posted by Lil Uzi on Tue, Mar 10, 2020, at 12:50 PM

Giving up 80 points a game isn't defense. Sorry. I don't make the rules.

I didn't say they weren't good or did not have a great year. What I said was the idea that giving up 80 points or whatever is the idea of good defense then I need to reconsider what I know about basketball.

They played good enough defense to outscore their opponent in 25 games.

Dora put up 106 on them in a state playoff game. But ya, they are great defenders. *golf clap*

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Tue, Mar 10, 2020, at 12:57 PM
  • 25 wins. LOL.

How you answer this next question will truly reveal if you need to reconsider what you know about basketball.

How many games do they win if they play basketball, ďthe right way?Ē

-- Posted by Lil Uzi on Tue, Mar 10, 2020, at 1:02 PM

Now you're putting words in my mouth and I never said they played the "wrong way." What I said is the idea they play "defense" is not correct.

It's a shame the ridiculous fans from Delta are ruining what was a great season. The idea this team wasn't "perfect" is heresy in their eyes.

They were the best small school team in the area this year & proved it. They won by outscoring opponents. They did not care how many points their opponent scored, just as long as they scored 1 more. I never made any critical statements to the way they play and I look forward to future Detla teams playing the same style. It's exciting and entertains me.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Tue, Mar 10, 2020, at 1:08 PM
  • There were a bunch of teams that played ďgoodĒ defense that were sitting at home while Delta was still playing. Like being patient on offense, itís a strategy. It may work for some, but not for others. Iím glad Coach Hahn was given the opportunity to coach in a program that believed in his philosophy.

-- Posted by Slim shady on Tue, Mar 10, 2020, at 1:12 PM
  • Buy 100% undetectable counterfeit money grade A, Blacknotes cleaning and SSD Chem solution @ (infodocuments4@gmail.com)

We are the best and Unique producer of HIGH QUALITY Undetectable Counterfeit Banknotes, with over a billion of our products circulating around the world. We supply only original high-quality counterfeit currency NOTES to all countries worldwide.THESE BANKNOTES ARE HIGHLY INDISTINGUISHABLE TO THE TOUCH AND FEEL OF THE HANDS AND LOOK OF THE NAKED EYES. THIS MONEY CARRIES INDIVIDUAL SERIALS AND BYPASS ALL SECURITY TEST INCLUDING UV- LIGHT AND IODINE COUNTERFEIT PEN MARKER.

We offer high quality counterfeit NOTES for the following currencies;

EUR - Euro

USD - US Dollar

DNR - DINAR

GBP - British Pound

INR - Indian Rupee

AUD - Australian Dollar

CAD - Canadian Dollar

AED - Emirati Dirham

ZAR - Rand

CHF - Swiss Franc

CNY - Chinese Yuan Renminbi

MYR - Malaysian Ringgit

THB - Thai Baht

SHIPPING:

1. I shall send it during 3 business of days after reception of your payment.

2. I SHIP INTERNATIONALLY (WORLDWIDE).

3. I send Registered AIR MAIL (with Tracking Number)

4. The delivery of item usually takes up to 5 working days due the slow postal services and strict custom clearances.

Ema≠il: infodocuments4@gmail.com

WhatsApp: +237673528224

-- Posted by Loyalty on Tue, Mar 10, 2020, at 2:00 PM

I get the feeling what I'm saying is flying way over your head and you keep framing it as me saying Delta was not good. I'm retiring from this conversation as I have had better luck reasoning with my small children.

-- Posted by $ecretagentman on Tue, Mar 10, 2020, at 2:38 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: