High School Basketball Forum: Scott-Miss Tournament

Posted by surfgurl_09 on Fri, Jan 17, 2020, at 1:52 PM:

On the boys side there should definitely be some great games when you look at the teams and the parity this year.

Replies (80)

• Surfgurl_09, I agree with you. I think anyone in the top 5 or 6 seeds has shot at it.

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Jan 17, 2020, at 9:48 PM
  • I dont know when the seedings meeting takes place. It should be in the next week or so?

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Jan 17, 2020, at 9:54 PM
  • The deltan, the seeding meeting is next Wed. morning at 11am.

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Fri, Jan 17, 2020, at 11:14 PM
  • Thanks Coach.

-- Posted by The deltan on Sat, Jan 18, 2020, at 7:56 AM
  • Seeds for the Scott Mississippi Tournament :

1. Oran, 2. Delta, 3. Oak Ridge, 4. Scott City, 5. Kelly, 6. East Prairie, 7. Chaffe, 8. Scott County Central

Tournament Begins play on Sat. Feb. 1st.

Oak Ridge vs. East Prairie at 4;15pm.

Host School Delta

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Wed, Jan 22, 2020, at 3:06 PM
  • Noel Trimmer Oran vs SCC 1:45pm, Scott City vs. Kelly 11:15am, Delta vs Chaffee 6:45pm, Oak Ridge vs. East Prairie 4:15pm. These are varsity times, remember there is also the SMC JV Tournament going on at this time.

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Wed, Jan 22, 2020, at 3:08 PM
  • Thanks Coach

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Jan 22, 2020, at 3:28 PM
  • This tournament will be fun to watch!

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Wed, Jan 22, 2020, at 4:15 PM
  • Some very interesting match ups. I believe upsets are very likely.

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Jan 22, 2020, at 5:36 PM
  • Potential match ups that is.

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Jan 22, 2020, at 5:39 PM
  • Agreed, should be a very good tournament.

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Wed, Jan 22, 2020, at 9:06 PM
  • Chris Trimmer, I hate the thought of playing you guys 5 times this year. It's very likely going to happen in the districts unless an unset happens. It is what it is I guess.

-- Posted by The deltan on Thu, Jan 23, 2020, at 8:17 AM
  • The deltan, thatís just crazy isnít it? Teams so familiar with each other, it becomes difficult to come out and catch somebody off guard with what youíre doing. Might just come down to who executes their game plan the best. Home court should certainly play in Deltas favor in this tournament. Theyíll be tough to beat.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Thu, Jan 23, 2020, at 12:22 PM
  • Yep, all depends on who's hot and who's not,,lol

-- Posted by The deltan on Thu, Jan 23, 2020, at 2:36 PM
  • I feel the same way The deltan, but it looks like it's a possibility. But we have to win games before that can happen.

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Fri, Jan 24, 2020, at 4:59 AM
  • Chris Trimmer, that's true baring any upsets and everybody stays healthy.

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Jan 24, 2020, at 7:39 AM
  • As an Oran guy, im definitely not looking forward to playing SC or Kelly again. Be the third time for either team. Both teams are physical, especially SC. And both are are playing good ball right now. We beat both with and without all state point forward Todd Priggel.

We were tied with Kelly with a minute to go just a couple weeks ago. 5 teams could win this tourney.

-- Posted by vman on Tue, Jan 28, 2020, at 9:06 AM
  • Vman, there should be some great games. Oak Ridge has your Eagles tonight, and Kelly Friday night, so itís going to be a tough stretch for us, considering we then roll right into the conference tournament Saturday with a matchup vs EP that we better not take for granted.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Tue, Jan 28, 2020, at 1:04 PM
  • It could be a barn burner in Oak Ridge tonight.

-- Posted by The deltan on Tue, Jan 28, 2020, at 2:44 PM
  • The deltan, Iím looking forward to it.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Tue, Jan 28, 2020, at 3:12 PM
  • The deltan, a barn burner in Oak Ridge as expected.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Tue, Jan 28, 2020, at 10:51 PM
  • Surfgurl_09, big win for the Bluejays. I'm glad for them.

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Jan 29, 2020, at 6:13 AM
  • Surfgurl_09, I wander why they didnt put Oak Ridge/Oran game in the missourian or on semoball? In my opinion for what it's worth that was big game in a big game atmosphere. I believe a lot of fan's would have liked to read about.

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Jan 29, 2020, at 1:56 PM
  • Scores were reported, but for some reason, nothing was written about the game. It would have been nice if they would have sent someone to take pics.

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Wed, Jan 29, 2020, at 2:32 PM
  • That's the missourian for ya.

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Jan 29, 2020, at 3:18 PM
  • Oak Ridge 61-60 over Oran

-- Posted by Semo sports on Wed, Jan 29, 2020, at 5:03 PM
  • Oak Ridge held Goodale to 2 points. They either done a great job, or is he healthy?

-- Posted by The deltan on Thu, Jan 30, 2020, at 8:20 AM
  • Great job.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Thu, Jan 30, 2020, at 8:54 AM
  • The deltan, OR defended him very well. It was clear OR was going to try and make other Oran players beat them, much like many of ORís opponents have approached David Layton over the years.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Thu, Jan 30, 2020, at 9:13 AM
  • Oak ridge got to all the 50/50 balls, and got way to many offensive rebounds. Facts are they hustled more than we did and deserved the victory.

It was within5 pts from tip to final buzzer. Real good game.

Tyson missed a couple chanes early, but they face guarded him whole game and took him out of it.

Conf tourney will be interesting.

-- Posted by vman on Thu, Jan 30, 2020, at 9:23 AM
  • Both teams are playing really well and will be fun to see them make their final runs. Anyone know status of possible return of Oran all state player thatís injured?

-- Posted by Gr8sports on Thu, Jan 30, 2020, at 4:14 PM
  • I still donít understand why they seed their tournament before all regular season conference games have been played. Almost as silly (to me), to open the season with a conference tournament.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Thu, Jan 30, 2020, at 5:14 PM
  • Seedings? If you dont have a general idea by this point then you never will.

-- Posted by The deltan on Thu, Jan 30, 2020, at 6:18 PM
  • Most conference tournaments seed after conference season is over. Records speak for themselves. Donít have to let the ďhuman elementĒ have an effect.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Thu, Jan 30, 2020, at 8:12 PM
  • I believe one of the problems with that is time. Conference season ends on Friday and the conference tournament starts on Saturday. You would need to change the tournament to the following week instead of the current time or move the conference schedule up to get done sooner. Either way, your talking schedule change and that usually causes problems for some. I as the coach would like to see the tournament date remain the same but move the conference schedule up. But I don't make those decisions it's above my pay grade. The AD takes care of that. He makes the call and we just show up and play!!

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Fri, Jan 31, 2020, at 6:23 AM
  • Thanks, Coach.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Fri, Jan 31, 2020, at 6:41 AM
  • Yes sir, your welcome.

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Fri, Jan 31, 2020, at 6:51 AM
  • Looks like Oak Ridge has really turned their season around and winning some quality games. It's a shame that Delta, Oran, and Oak Ridge are not all in the same district. That would be exciting playoff basketball for the end of the year the way all three are playing currently. Delta and Oak Ridge could potentially be the best match up in the state for small school district play. When is the championship match up for this tournament?

-- Posted by Buzz Lightyear on Fri, Jan 31, 2020, at 8:21 AM
  • Championship game of Scott-Miss Comference tournament is Friday 2/7 at 7:45pm.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Fri, Jan 31, 2020, at 9:15 AM
  • Thank you! That should be a good one surfgurl. I am happy to see your team is playing some great basketball going into the home stretch of the season. This could be Oak Ridge's year to make the final four. Have they ever made it before?

-- Posted by Buzz Lightyear on Fri, Jan 31, 2020, at 9:26 AM
  • John - to my understanding, Oak Ridge has never won a district championship in basketball.

There is potential for us to play Delta for the 4th time this year in the conference tournament, then, if the C1D2 championship comes down to Oak Ridge vs. Delta, there is matchup #5. There is a tough road ahead of us, but I do think the team is playing better as the season goes on. It should be a fun ride!

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Fri, Jan 31, 2020, at 11:23 AM
  • Has Delta ever won a district championship?

-- Posted by gostlrams on Fri, Jan 31, 2020, at 12:36 PM
  • gostlrams, yes Delta has won two that I know of. 75-76, 97-98.

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Jan 31, 2020, at 12:59 PM
  • In years past Delta probably has more second place district placks then anyone around. They always were beaten by SCC or Advance to name a couple

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Jan 31, 2020, at 1:03 PM

In boys oak ridge, East Prairie, and Southland have NO district titles in school history...not quite sure how many more area schools have none....prolly not many more... kinda rare!

-- Posted by indian73 on Fri, Jan 31, 2020, at 5:10 PM

Delta could have easily been state champs that 97-98 year.

-- Posted by gregb on Fri, Jan 31, 2020, at 8:31 PM
  • gregb, that was one screwed up game against Fordland. Talking about getting a hosing. Even the guy calling the game on the radio was commenting on how ridiculous the refs were. You dont here that on the radio, but that guy who was calling it sure said it.Thats how bad it was.

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Jan 31, 2020, at 9:57 PM

Delta district champs 69,76,98

-- Posted by indian73 on Fri, Jan 31, 2020, at 10:13 PM
  • Thanks Deltan. Who was on thatí98 team?

-- Posted by gostlrams on Fri, Jan 31, 2020, at 10:46 PM
  • gostlrams, let me think here, Garrit Debrock, Shawn Kinder, Andy Blattel, Volkers, Livington, I can't remember all of them.

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Jan 31, 2020, at 11:14 PM
  • Even more challenging - the 69 group...

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Fri, Jan 31, 2020, at 11:38 PM
  • surfgurl_09, I wasn't into Basketball back then. I wasnt even crawling,,lol. I think all I know and heard the name of John Below and others.

-- Posted by The deltan on Sat, Feb 1, 2020, at 12:01 PM
  • The deltan, here we go again - 4th out of possible 5 matchups this season.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Mon, Feb 3, 2020, at 7:32 AM
  • I was 6 during the 98 run and I remember how bad Delta was screwed in the quarterfinals. Not to mention, Fordland ran the table in the final four. That Delta team was unbelievable. I'm hoping for that district championship and whatever happens after that.

-- Posted by heldermancody on Mon, Feb 3, 2020, at 9:28 AM
  • Looking like winning C1D2 will be considerably more difficult than sectional vs. C1D1. On paper, that is. Of course, games have to be played.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Mon, Feb 3, 2020, at 9:43 AM
  • Surfgurl_09, game 4,,lol also game 3 for Oran and Kelly.

-- Posted by The deltan on Mon, Feb 3, 2020, at 12:23 PM
  • Heldermancody, I thought the team Delta had 96_97 was as good or better then the 98 team. They lost to Richland in the district final. Garrett Debrock got slammed into the bleachers head first in that game was taken out, but later return with a head wrap. Richland went on to win by a couple of points they run the table too. Nobody played them within 30 points.

-- Posted by The deltan on Mon, Feb 3, 2020, at 12:32 PM
  • Surfgurl_9, looks like O.R. has got another tough week. Got this tournament then you go to the 6th man shoot out and take on Kennett. I'll say this you all play tougher schedule then we do. That may come in to play in the district.

-- Posted by The deltan on Mon, Feb 3, 2020, at 1:32 PM
  • The deltan - yes, definitely tougher schedule for us this year, with the South Iron and the Kennett added in. Plus, we still have Ste. Gen on the schedule yet, another Class 4.

Hopefully that prepares us to be at our best for districts.

Looking forward to to tomorrow night. Should be a heck of a game.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Mon, Feb 3, 2020, at 3:38 PM
  • I agree surfgurl_09.

-- Posted by The deltan on Mon, Feb 3, 2020, at 6:19 PM
  • Young men from Kelly are maturing more and more every game. Should give Delta all they want on Friday and maybe more!

-- Posted by Black Knight on Tue, Feb 4, 2020, at 10:18 PM
  • How did toniteís varsity games turn out at Scott Miss Tourney in Delta

-- Posted by tenk65 on Tue, Feb 4, 2020, at 10:27 PM
  • Kelly over Oran, Delta over Oak Ridge.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Tue, Feb 4, 2020, at 10:37 PM
  • Black knight, your probably right about that. Should be a very good game.

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Feb 5, 2020, at 6:57 AM
  • Surfgurl_09, that was a hard fought win for Delta. I figured you all would make a run at us. It got a little uncomfortable in the 4th quarter. What really surprised me was David fauling out in the 3rd that came out of nowhere.

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Feb 5, 2020, at 7:02 AM
  • The deltan, a tough loss for us. I was proud of our team though, even down 20 and David out of the game, they kept battling their tails off, and started to close the margin a few times.

Time to get back to work vs Oran Friday night. Short memory is a must, especially at districts in a few weeks..

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Wed, Feb 5, 2020, at 12:31 PM
  • Surfgurl_09, actually I thought they all stepped up without David in there. They all played hard and never quit. I'm sure all blueJay fans are proud of them. I'm still not looking forward to game 5,,lol

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Feb 5, 2020, at 12:44 PM
  • If Iím a HS coach and playing Kelly......take away the ENTIRE left side of the court from the Jansen kid (heís a pure lefty) and force him right. Easy win. Heís all they have.

-- Posted by iknowstuff on Thu, Feb 6, 2020, at 10:05 PM
  • Iknowstuff, sounds like a good a plan will it work for Delta? I think they have game plan in mind simply out score the other opponent,,,lol

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Feb 7, 2020, at 5:59 AM
  • iknowstuff, have you seen Kelly play? Jansen is definitely not ďall they have.Ē If you donít believe me, ask some kids who have played Kelly.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Fri, Feb 7, 2020, at 6:44 AM
  • Surfgurl_09, I wandered about that too. I've only seen them for a half of game. I dont know jack squat about them only they really get after it and they must be doing something right to beat Oran. Should be one heck of a ballgame.

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Feb 7, 2020, at 6:59 AM
  • Surfgurl_09, good luck to you guys tonight. That should be another barn burner.

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Feb 7, 2020, at 7:00 AM
  • The deltan, thank you, and good luck to you guys tonight. As expected, this tournament is producing some really good games.

We have our work cut out for us - to beat Oran twice will be tough! Especially in a span of less than 2 weeks.

Kelly is big yet quick, and they definitely get after it. It will be interesting to see how they handle Deltaís nonstop pressure.

Looking forward to a great night of basketball.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Fri, Feb 7, 2020, at 8:04 AM
  • Fred Johnson is a top notch coach. Those kids will play hard and they wonít quit. Best of luck to both teams.

-- Posted by orangeandblack on Fri, Feb 7, 2020, at 10:35 AM
  • orangeandblack, I agree 100%.

-- Posted by surfgurl_09 on Fri, Feb 7, 2020, at 10:57 AM
  • The deltan,

That's why I think we can go pretty far in the state tournament. It is hard for a high school team to put up 90+ points and they can score with anyone. If they would play any defense and not foul, they would be a lot better off lol. I live in SWMO now so I don't get to watch a lot of their games but I've seen some online and they allow 40+ points a night off of free throws and lay ups. Guess it doesn't matter as long as their scoring 90+

-- Posted by heldermancody on Fri, Feb 7, 2020, at 1:00 PM
  • heldermancody,

I didnt know how many points they were giving up on free throws and lay ups I knew it was a bunch. Thanks for the info. If They meet a super good team they may be in trouble? However. If we are hitting the 3s I feel that we could play with or beat anybody.

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Feb 7, 2020, at 1:49 PM

Kelly beats Delta for the championship.

-- Posted by OldManFootball on Fri, Feb 7, 2020, at 9:58 PM
  • Kelly and Delta a game that every young man played their hearts out and gave all in attendance their moneyís worth. Kellyís young men continue to strive a little more and work to achieve success- as a team.

Delta continued to pound and never gave up.

In the end, the young Kelly team matures a little more and now has a conference tournament championship under their belts.

Congrats to the boys, coaches and the Kelly

Fans. Well deserved!

-- Posted by Black Knight on Fri, Feb 7, 2020, at 11:24 PM
  • Black Knight, I agree

-- Posted by The deltan on Sat, Feb 8, 2020, at 1:18 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: