Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: All-State

Posted by TribeFan10 on Wed, Mar 24, 2010, at 8:06 PM:

Does anyone know when the All-State team will be announced?

Replies (26)

• I have know idea when the all-state team will be announced. I asked this question several times during the Cover it Live sessions at the state tournament. However, no one could say with 100% confidence when the all-state team will be announced.

Crader do you have any idea when the all-state team will be announced? Are there two all-state teams? (one voted on by the media and one voted on by the coaches)

Bernie, Scott County Central and Oak Ridge have players that should receive recogntion.

Kennett also has one or two players I would definitely vote for if I had a vote. However, I am guessing it is very difficult to get a junior on the all-state team in Class 3 if the team does not advance to state. I'm not saying this is right or wrong it is just the way it normally happens.

-- Posted by drawmules on Wed, Mar 24, 2010, at 9:47 PM
  • Poster on MoSports believes the Coach's team has been selected and will be announced this week. If I remember correctly, the sportswriters version comes out a few weeks later.

-- Posted by troll on Wed, Mar 24, 2010, at 9:56 PM
  • Are there 2 All District teams? One voted on by coaches & one voted on by sportswriters? Do you know when that list will come out?

-- Posted by BB45 on Thu, Mar 25, 2010, at 10:01 AM
  • I think there are two teams but I cannot confirm this with 100% confidence.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Mar 25, 2010, at 11:59 AM
  • I was told yesterday by one of the local coaches about a player that made all state. I assume the list is out somewhere.

-- Posted by deervalley on Fri, Mar 26, 2010, at 8:29 AM
  • Tribefan, the MBCA girls All State team has been announced. My guess is that means the boys team will be announced later today or Monday. By the way, Jerica Wheeler made it.

deervalley, the MBCA notifies coaches a few days before the announcement is made. I don't think a list is out yet, although I think it will be sometime today.

-- Posted by troll on Fri, Mar 26, 2010, at 8:57 AM
  • -- Posted by Rachel Crader on Fri, Mar 26, 2010, at 9:05 AM
  • Thanks Crader.

I have an extended comment to make on this year's all-state selections.

I will begin by pointing out I'm not a big fan of all-tournament teams and all-state teams. I've never seen an all-tournament team that didn't leave someone out.

This year's all-state team features talented players from across the state. Otto Porter, Bobby Hatchett, Drew Thorton, Brandon Bennett, Anthony Seabaugh, Jake Owens, Jake Welch, Jeremy Young, Kony Ealy, Deonte Jones, and Fred Garmon were selected to the all-state team in Southeast Missouri. All of these players belong on the all-state team.

Two additonal players from Southeast Missouri also deserved to be slected to the all-state team. Oak Ridge's Garret Light and Bernie's Jordan McGowan should have been selected to the all-state team. I could write for the remainder of the afternoon about why these players deserved to be selected to the all-state team.

I was told no more than two players are selected from any team. If this is true it needs to be changed. I don't believe all-state teams should be about equal representation. I think they should be about selecting the best players. Bell City and Eminence have had three or four players selected to the all-state volleyball team in the past. I wouldn't have been upset if Bernie or Scott County Central would have had three or four players selected this season.

The only thing more difficult than developing accurate state rankings is selecting an all-state team. I believe the coaches did a good job selecting an all-state team. I doubt if the coaches that drove to Columbia to vote on the all-state team were paid. I know the volleyball coaches are not paid for the time they devote to selecting an all-state team. But I'm not a big fan of limiting the number of selections one team receives. Bernie deserved more than two selections this year. I believe there were four players from Bernie that would have been selected to the all-state team if they didn't all play for the same school.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Mar 26, 2010, at 1:14 PM
  • Wiggins and Tolbert also received all-state honors in Class 4. These players also deserved recognition.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Mar 26, 2010, at 6:01 PM

Congradulations to Kony Ealy for making all state! I would also like to say congradulations to Kony for recently making a 21 on the A.C.T. his second time taking it! So to all the bums who chanted act, do u like apples?? Well how bout them apples!! I bet y'all didn't even make 21s your second time or at all haha!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Mar 26, 2010, at 9:31 PM
  • Actually i made a 22 in the eighth grade...

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sat, Mar 27, 2010, at 10:31 AM
  • inspectorgadget that so stupid

-- Posted by mule1993 on Sat, Mar 27, 2010, at 9:33 PM
  • I made a 24. I was upset. I wanted a 27 or a 30.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Mar 27, 2010, at 9:45 PM
  • I made a 22 in the 8th grade... Boy those coloring pages were fun.

-- Posted by bignasty on Sat, Mar 27, 2010, at 10:29 PM
  • I'm glad somebody put that on here for Kony... not that it is anybody's business... but for all the shots he took, I'm glad somebody set the record straight. Good luck at MIZZOU.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sat, Mar 27, 2010, at 10:55 PM
  • Students should not be criticized for their ACT scores. Bottom line. The ACT test is anything but easy. I don't like the ACT test. It does not accurately assess how well students will perform in college. I know students that made a 30, received a full-ride scholarship and didn't finish a degree. I also know students, like myself, that made a 24 and have to pay for a portion of their college education. I have a 4.0 G.P.A in college. However, because my ACT score was a 24 instead of a 30 I didn't receive a full-ride scholarship. The bottom line is even if your ACT score is not extremely high you can still perform well in college. Trust me. This is not a sports-related topic. It probably belongs in a blog on the news website. But I definitely have an opinion when it comes to ACT scores determining which students receive scholarships in college.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Mar 27, 2010, at 11:09 PM
  • MBCA all state selection is highly subjective. If the coach is not a member of MBCA, their player's are not normally eligible. On this year's list, Selena Neal of Senath made the coaches all state list but did not receive first or second team all region from the sportwriters. Nothing at all against Miss Neal who is a very good athlete, but just citing an example of the oddities of the process.

-- Posted by BC Breeze on Sun, Mar 28, 2010, at 8:56 AM
  • Congratulations to Jeremy Young (19.4ppg, 10.5rpg and led his team in steals, second in assists and blocks while playing 1,2,3,4, or 5 position) of Neelyville for being named MBCA All-State. However, he was left off the sportswriters All-Region team (not even honorable mention?).

Congrats to his teammate Curtis Hansen for being Honorable Mention All-Region by sportswriters. Both players were named to the coaches All-District team as well.

On the girls side, congrats to Neelyville's Chelsey Maupin being named MBCA All-State and sportswriters All-Region first team. Jackie Griffin and Lindsey Emerson for All-Region Honorable Mention.

-- Posted by JRich50 on Sun, Mar 28, 2010, at 10:16 PM
  • I have not seen the Sportswriters All Region selection....when did it come out??

-- Posted by BB45 on Mon, Mar 29, 2010, at 9:49 AM
  • All-Region chosen by sportwriters was in Sunday's Daily American Republic

-- Posted by JRich50 on Mon, Mar 29, 2010, at 10:03 AM
  • Not the Daily American Republic, but here is link to Boys All-Region chosen by sportswriters

http://www.dailyjournalonline.com/articles/2010/03/26/sports/doc4bacdd37b9688844...

-- Posted by JRich50 on Mon, Mar 29, 2010, at 10:29 AM
  • thanks!

-- Posted by BB45 on Mon, Mar 29, 2010, at 1:29 PM
  • What about the final rankings in each class? When are they coming out or if they have, where do you find them?

-- Posted by DWinKenMO on Mon, Mar 29, 2010, at 6:25 PM
  • I have the media's all-state picks in my possession thanks to Brian Rosener. They should be posted in the next half hour or so...

Final rankings are included!

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Apr 7, 2010, at 9:24 PM
  • I wonder what happened to that kid John Santos Casper? Saw him play once right before he moved to L.A. Pretty tall kid for his age and can shoot almost anywhere but haven't heard about him since he left.

-- Posted by JPOBrien on Mon, Apr 12, 2010, at 6:35 AM
  • @JPOBrien

Who's John Santos Casper? And where did he go? Coz you said he left.

-- Posted by broadstripes on Thu, Apr 15, 2010, at 3:48 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: