Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: 17 fouls in 3rd quarter

Posted by Brutus Beefcake on Mon, Mar 12, 2018, at 4:13 PM:

Did I read this right, Charleston had 17 foul calls on them in the 3rd quarter alone.

Replies (36)

• I think that was 17 total on both teams.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Mon, Mar 12, 2018, at 5:16 PM

Charleston was whistled for 12 fouls in the second half, and 20 total for the game.

http://www.mshsaa.org/Activities/DistrictWinners.aspx?alg=5&class=3&id=1

-- Posted by whistleone on Mon, Mar 12, 2018, at 7:37 PM
  • Thanks for clearing that up. All I have been hearing is how bad the refs and fouls were. 12-8 not bad

-- Posted by Brutus Beefcake on Mon, Mar 12, 2018, at 10:12 PM
  • Looks like Charleston even took more free throws so I'm wondering if the officiating was as bad as the BlueJays say.

-- Posted by Brutus Beefcake on Mon, Mar 12, 2018, at 10:16 PM

I don’t believe anyone ever stated that the officiating was one-sided; it was terrible officiating, period! What changed the complexion of the game was when Charleston had a 10 point lead and momentum when they were whistled for 7 consecutive fouls over a span of 1 minute and 30 seconds. HP received some bad calls, as well, but nothing compared to this. For the game, both teams committed 20 fouls.

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Mar 13, 2018, at 6:53 AM
  • 7 fouls in a minute anda half is unheard of!! U sure about that?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Mar 13, 2018, at 10:31 AM
  • That span definitely changed the game.

HP was down 10 and had basically a 7 point possession. Was awful.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Mar 13, 2018, at 10:52 AM

Look at the MSHSAA site and look at the play by play in third quarter.....I was told it was a couple of minutes but in looking at the play by play that denotes the time that the play occurred, it was a minute and a half.

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Mar 13, 2018, at 12:10 PM

5:45 to 4:15 remaining in the third quarter, Charleston whistled for 7 consecutive fouls.

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Mar 13, 2018, at 12:14 PM
  • Thatsa foul every 13 seconds!! Wow!!!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Mar 13, 2018, at 12:24 PM
  • Cant believe Farmer’s head didnt explode, geeeez

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Mar 13, 2018, at 12:25 PM
  • What's going on???

I'm no longer able to see old or new threads...

Maybe I can only see this because I commented previously???

Says I've reached my limit of free stories.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Mar 13, 2018, at 1:09 PM
  • 5:45 mark in 3rd qtr to 3:29 mark in the 3rd qtr (2min 16 sec span) Charleston had 4 offensive fouls called on them that erased 6 pts off the scoreboard and a foul called on a made 3pt by HP on a box out (on a made shot) that turned into a 5 pt play. Also a "hooking" foul called on Clark in the post when the ball was being passed from the wing to the top. He wasnt even being passed the ball (he was in the post). Every single one of these should have been a no call expect for Sharps charge that should have been blocking.

The first half was not officiated like this, neither semifinal game was officiated like this and the third place game was not officiated like this.

HP's Daniels had a couple calls on him that where very tick tac fouls that should have been let go, very little if any contact. But the major difference was offensive fouls.

It was as if 2 of the officials realized that no one in the gym was paying attention to them and decided that the most dramatic call they could make to get attention was an offensive foul call. It just happened that Charleston was on the receiving end of their vanity!

Then to sit and listen to MSHSAA sing their own praises and pat themselves on the back for their unbelievable job they did for the next 5 minutes was sickening! MSHSAA is great at holding others to high standards (sportsmanship, class, integrity is their faux mantra) but know they do not have to practice what they preach.

HP won the game, more power to them, and congrats! Nothing but respect for them in how they played or how they conducted themselves. Tough, gritty, athletic, hard nosed team. Played excellent perimeter defense.

This state championship game was decided by officials that were there for their own self glorification and arrogance that was going to be achieved at one of the teams cost.

-- Posted by uncommon_sense on Tue, Mar 13, 2018, at 1:23 PM
  • When Birdfan (who seems to blessed with more common sense than a lot on this board) says the officiating was poor then it must have been poor. Was rooting for you guys Birdfan and will be for Bulldogs later on in the week. Glad to see this area represented well at state.

-- Posted by lonesomedavepeverett on Tue, Mar 13, 2018, at 1:47 PM
  • IP wont let me look either without subscribing. I had to come and look on my laptop,this stinks if we are going to have to pay for forums. guess they are money hungry and glad basketball season is almost over because Im only on then. I agree if birdfan says it was bad its bad. guess im not going to be on here unless im on laptop unless it says i have to pay also. see ya:

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Mar 13, 2018, at 3:55 PM
  • I just looked at this thread then tried then others and got the same notice about signing up. My old retired guy budget ain't made for that so I guess I'll check on Mosports and see if they do the same thing. Never had to subscribe to read or post there unless I want premium stuff.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Tue, Mar 13, 2018, at 4:53 PM

If you are using a phone to post/browse, turn WiFi off. That worked for me, but I guarantee I’m not paying to read or post on semoball forums.

-- Posted by secretagentman on Tue, Mar 13, 2018, at 6:44 PM
  • TFA and others. I was able to see everything on our iPad but I'm sure that will end too after I click too many times...

I have enjoyed interacting with many of you over the years!

Even had the pleasure to meet some of you in person!

This may be the last time as I won't be willing to pay to post an opinion on any internet site.

If that's the way it goes it will be unfortunate as I've enjoyed it for many years now.

But I have to imagine this will be the death of Semoball.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Mar 13, 2018, at 8:36 PM

I agree, IP; I, like you, will not be paying a fee to post on a public forum...if it comes to that, I’ll be returning to MoSports where it’s free to post; fees only apply to premium articles, certain sites, etc.....it’s been fun; everyone take care and, as a wise man once told me, “Keep sippin’ that ice water!”

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Mar 13, 2018, at 9:24 PM
  • I like that one birdfan!! It has been a pleasure sir!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Mar 13, 2018, at 9:53 PM
  • Hey IP that happened to me a few weeks ago too but it hasnt happened since. I use the old site address, maybe try that?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Mar 13, 2018, at 11:17 PM
  • old.semoball.com

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Mar 13, 2018, at 11:18 PM
  • I will ciri thank you!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Mar 14, 2018, at 12:39 AM
  • We could just start a Facebook group.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Thu, Mar 15, 2018, at 8:45 AM
  • That would definitely make things more friendly. No hiding behind a screen name.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Thu, Mar 15, 2018, at 1:03 PM
  • I'm up for it!! Vanduser, are you going to get it started?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Mar 15, 2018, at 1:31 PM
  • Indian. I honestly don't know how to do it. I am in alot of groups, but I don't know how to start one. I will see what I can do. And I also don't know who anyone is in here. Lol. So I don't know how I could let you know.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Fri, Mar 16, 2018, at 9:05 AM
  • I created a group. It is called semoball for free. Search it on Facebook and join. You guys know who some of us are. Let them know to join if they want to. Thanks.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Fri, Mar 16, 2018, at 9:16 AM
  • I'll check it out Vanduser!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Mar 16, 2018, at 10:23 AM
  • I can read this one and reply hime computer but not anything else on here. I have no idea when I can and can't.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Sat, Mar 17, 2018, at 9:56 PM

I haven’t experienced any problems, yet. 🍀

-- Posted by birdfan on Sat, Mar 17, 2018, at 10:43 PM
  • After watching parts of 7 or 8 games this weekend, I can see how 17 fouls were called in one quarter. Games were called very tight. Made the games a little boring with the whistle blowing every 15-20 seconds.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Sun, Mar 18, 2018, at 1:56 PM

Interesting take by David Heeb on MSHSAA Final Four officiating:

I've been saying this and saying this and saying this... I don't understand why MSHSAA evaluates the officials at halftime during the Final Four. I've talked with officials who work the Final Four, and the stories they tell about getting absolutely RIPPED at halftime of a game, it's just silly to think that this actually happens, but it does.

As a coach, all I can ever ask an official to do is be consistent. Just call it how you're going to call it, and communicate with me, and then be consistent all night.

So when my team is playing in the biggest game of their lives, how can you do that to my players? How can you call the game one half one way, and then in the third quarter, it's like the same three officials were abducted by Body Snatchers or something?

This is what happened during the Class 3 Boys State Finals.

Charleston was ahead 26-20 at the half. Honestly the score could have been 26-20 the other way. Hogan Prep was really good, and I even said prior to the game, this game could go either way. Hogan Prep ended up winning this game, and they are a worthy champion. So I want to say this emphatically, Charleston did not get "cheated."

What happened was in the first half, both teams played really good defense. Neither team had any major foul trouble to speak of, maybe one starter each. There wasn't any "physical play" or anything dirty going on. It was just a good, hard fought game. Demarcus Sharp got red hot right before the half to give Charleston a lead, or like I said, the score might have been flipped the other way in Hogan Prep's favor.

Then in the third quarter, inexplicably, there were 17 fouls called in about 5 minutes of action. It was split almost even (9 against Charleston and 8 against Hogan Prep), but Charleston was whistled for 7 team fouls in less than 4 minutes. This meant that Hogan Prep, with their two jet quick guards, would be in the bonus for the last 12+ minutes of the game.

Again, give credit to Hogan Prep. They took advantage of those whistles. After being locked up and held to 20 in the first half, they scored 43 in the second half. A lot of that was due to the fact that (a) they got to the free throw line a lot; and (b) they got layups because Charleston had to just get out of the way.

As a fan of the game, and somebody who paid $27 for me and my two kids to get into the game, I felt so cheated watching so many whistles in the second half. ESPECIALLY after the game wasn't called that way AT ALL in the first half. I wanted to see which team was better. Maybe Hogan Prep was the better team? We just don't know, because we really only got to watch a half of basketball. The second half? That was not basketball, but rather a game marred by way too many whistles.

https://www.justwintoday.com/

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Thu, Mar 29, 2018, at 10:33 PM

In the Class 5 title game, the two teams were whistled for 58 fouls. 5 players from Chaminade (including Hellums) and 3 from Webster (including Ramey) fouled out. There were a bunch of subs on the floor for both teams in the deciding minutes of Webster's 101-90 victory.

The refs were all from the western side of the state, where the game is generally called tighter. My guess is that this would not have happened with StL or SEMO refs.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Thu, Mar 29, 2018, at 10:55 PM
  • I had no idea MSHSAA did that and it makes no sense. Unfortunate.

Thank you for the info uncle.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Mar 30, 2018, at 6:10 PM

MSHSAA does not evaluate referees at the Show Me Showdown anymore. They ended that practice a few years ago.

-- Posted by whistleone on Sat, Mar 31, 2018, at 7:33 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: