High School Basketball Forum: Scott Mississippi boys tourny

Posted by The deltan on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 6:24 AM:

Any thoughts on how the seedings will be? I know it's crazy because East Praise beat Oran, Oran beat Chaffee and Delta, Chaffee beat East Prairie. Kelly beat Delta and Scott City beat Kelly. Although, I do feel Oran will win it and get top seed.

Replies (122)

• Will find out on Wed.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 7:17 AM
  • Saxony will be the one seed.

-- Posted by PimpDaddyTaddy on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 8:37 AM
  • Lol,

-- Posted by The deltan on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 9:37 AM

Thank goodness the conference had enough sense to keep them out, PDT.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 9:46 AM
  • Okay Larry, fill me in I'm slow and stupid. What does PDT stand for?

-- Posted by The deltan on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 10:06 AM
  • Bearcat fan, is Oak Ridge in the tounament this year?

-- Posted by The deltan on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 10:18 AM
  • Yes Oak Ridge is in.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 10:25 AM
  • PDT = PimpDaddyTaddy

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 10:26 AM
  • Okay Larry, I understand.

-- Posted by The deltan on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 10:30 AM
  • Bearcat, just another twist in the tournament. I thought Oak Ridge played in the Mississippi Valley tounament. Are they not having that tournament anymore?

-- Posted by The deltan on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 10:32 AM
  • PDT, we're all pretty much home grown in this tournament.

-- Posted by The deltan on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 10:35 AM
  • I don't believe there having the Mississippi Valley Tournament anymore. It was my understanding that about half the teams in that conference did not want to play in a conference tournament. But please verify this with another source I'm not 100% sure.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 10:49 AM
  • Should be a good tournament this year, regardless.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 10:51 AM
  • Chaffee, Delta, and Oak Ridge are all part of the Mississippi Valley Conference and the Scott Miss Conference.

The Mississippi Valley Conference does not require it's members to play in the Conference Tournament. I don't think Delta has ever participated in the tournament, and Chaffee got out 5 or 6 years ago to get into the OIT.

A few years ago, Zalma, against the objections of the other teams, opted to only field a JV team in the tournament, that they were hosting. This would have brought the field down to 5 teams (Greenville, Marquand, Meadow Heights, Oak Ridge, and Leopold).

Snow originally forced the postponement of the tournament, and then Zalma chose not to reschedule, basically because they were mad that everyone else was mad at them and the fact that it didn't matter to them because their varsity team was not playing in it.

These actions forced Greenville into leaving the Conference the next year and Oak Ridge rejoined the Scott Miss Conference.

-- Posted by WildCats=Championship on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 10:59 AM
  • I gottcha bearcat, good move on Oak Ridge anyway. No disrespect to the other schools but I believe the playing level is considerably higher.

-- Posted by The deltan on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 11:03 AM
  • To my knowledge the tournament still takes place, and is a round-robin between Meadow Heights, Leopold, Zalma, and Marquand.

-- Posted by WildCats=Championship on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 11:04 AM
  • That makes sense to me wildcat.

-- Posted by The deltan on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 11:05 AM

Sorry for the confusion deltan. I get kinda lazy with my typing sometimes. I also realize that LD could equal Larry Doby or learning disability. Both could be correct in my case.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 11:19 AM
  • Lol, no problem larry.

-- Posted by The deltan on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 11:20 AM
  • Let me clean this up a little bit. In years past I think the level has been cosiderably higher.

-- Posted by The deltan on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 11:23 AM
  • Wait. The Scott-Miss let Oak Ridge back in but not the Saxons? I bet coach Daniel let the officials have an ear-full about that. Hats ridiculous, unfair, and absurd that anyone would ever not let Saxony do whatever they want.

-- Posted by PimpDaddyTaddy on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 1:52 PM
  • Pimp, I would say the biggest difference is, at the time Oak Ridge had a Coach and program that was well respected in the SEMO "coaching" community.

I would think that it could not be said of Saxony's coach at the time.

-- Posted by Former Jr High State Champion on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 3:15 PM
  • The Saxony coach at the time was Tim Winkler, a good coach and a good person. Great respect for Coach Winkler and what he has done for high basketball in the area.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 3:49 PM
  • Coach, have some clue of what youíre talking about before you start defending people that were not even being talked about. Winkler was three coaches later.

They are talking about when Coach Daniel was the coach at saxony. He made quite a few enemies in the area during his time.

After that it was coach sides (who now coaches the girls) and then Drew Churchís little brother, and then coach Winkler.

Youíre prob better off sticking to the Ste Gen/Valle posts.

-- Posted by WildCats=Championship on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 5:06 PM
  • Most people have a lot of respect for the other coaches you mentioned wildcats. I have a lot of respect for Winkler in particular.

Coach Daniel kind of takes the cake on snob level with his chin and pinky in the air though.

-- Posted by PimpDaddyTaddy on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 7:30 PM
  • He still hasnít answered any of my questions yet though. He sure was anxious to talk to me like he mentioned. Would love to hear his rationale on why the benches needed to be switched before that 2 v 7 district tournament matchup or why he lied about saxonyís reasoning behind their conference moves.

-- Posted by PimpDaddyTaddy on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 7:32 PM

The Mississippi Valley Conference will have their conference tournament again this year. Still do not know the location this year but it will begin on 29Jan.

-- Posted by spurredscout on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 9:39 PM
  • PumpinDaddy is still upset that Saxony got the gravel pit while ND only got the trailer park.

-- Posted by SteGen is a Suburb of Crystal City on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 10:38 PM
  • You're right I apologize. I misread the post and made an assumption. Tim is a friend of mine and I thought he was unfairly criticized his last year at Saxony. I just thought someone was going after him again. My mistake!

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Tue, Jan 9, 2018, at 6:05 AM
  • When's the seed meeting?

-- Posted by GoHeels on Tue, Jan 9, 2018, at 2:07 PM
  • Wed 11am

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Tue, Jan 9, 2018, at 4:15 PM
  • One thing for sure Delta want be the last seed,,, yapee.

-- Posted by The deltan on Tue, Jan 9, 2018, at 9:23 PM
  • Scott-Miss Conference Tournament Seeds:

1. Oran

2. Chaffee

3. East Prairie

4. Scott County Central

5. Oak Ridge

6. Delta

7. Kelly

8. Scott City

Tournament starts Tue. Jan. 16th

Oran vs. Scott City 4pm

Scott County Central vs. Oak Ridge 5:15pm

Chaffee vs. Kelly 6:45pm

East Prairie vs. Delta 8pm

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Wed, Jan 10, 2018, at 2:52 PM

East Prairie got hosed.

-- Posted by mz259 on Wed, Jan 10, 2018, at 3:01 PM
  • Hey Deltan, didn't you guys beat Oak Ridge? How did your guys get seeded below them.

Also, didn't EP beat Oran, Oran might have been missing some guys, so that is understandable.

I'm at least Excited for SCC v OR part 3. I imagine both will get into the 90's or 100's this time, as neither team is keen on playing much defense this year.

-- Posted by WildCats=Championship on Wed, Jan 10, 2018, at 3:02 PM
  • Yeah, beat them at their place by 4 or 5 points. However, it was the poor showing in the Christmas tournament that got them the lower seed. Delta has a history of not showing up in the Christmas tournament.

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Jan 10, 2018, at 3:29 PM
  • Defense is never played under the OR current head honcho.

-- Posted by Coachken on Wed, Jan 10, 2018, at 4:00 PM
  • Thanks Coachken, maybe you can come down and show us how it's done. But I understand it's easier to criticize and not coach then put yourself on the line and actually try coaching. Of course getting your degree and a teaching job might also be a problem for you.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Wed, Jan 10, 2018, at 6:20 PM
  • Coachken, kind of a cheap shot at Bearcat Fan. Iíve witnessed some of his teams play some pretty good D over the years. Just as some groups put the ball in the basket better than others, some defend the basket better than others.

-- Posted by s32j20s12 on Wed, Jan 10, 2018, at 10:25 PM
  • I dont Know if itís a cheapshot if itís the truth. Given up 80+ points in more than half your games. Win them or not, thatís bad defense at the high school level.

Defensively itís a far cry from What that program used to be on the defensive end. Even win they had a couple down years, they never gave up this many points.

You can win some games, but if you canít get stops, youíll never beat a good team.

-- Posted by Talent Wins Games on Wed, Jan 10, 2018, at 10:48 PM
  • Sorry, win should be when, autocorrect got me

-- Posted by Talent Wins Games on Wed, Jan 10, 2018, at 10:51 PM
  • Thatís my point: some teams can score and some can defend. Oak Ridge is scoring more than even their really good teams did. Whether us old-timers like it or not, the trend today in any sport, especially but not limited to basketball, is more offense.

I havenít seen Oak Ridge play this season. I donít know if theyíre playing a quicker game which means more possessions, which leads to more shots, which leads to more points (basketball 101, lesson one), or playing poor defense, which leads to more points (basketball 101, lesson two). My guess is some of both - like most teams these days. Thatís why I think itís a cheap shot at one coach/team and not at most coaches/teams.

I guess Iím just tired of seeing coaches raked over the coals so often here and in the stands and at the local coffee shops. Usually being ripped a new one by people who have never taken 10-12 teenagers and tried to get them to do what you ask of them more times than not. At most a lot of people have trouble dealing with two teenagers at a time who share the same house as they do. Lighten up, Francis!

Now, would someone please help this old man down from this soapbox?

-- Posted by s32j20s12 on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 1:34 AM
  • I remember this jr high team I coached. I had a player who thought he was pretty good. Donít get me wrong, he had some skill, always was the guy who took the ball out when we ran Americaís Play.

Anyways, he was want to run his mouth a little about how good he was. Would go on and on about how many points he scored against this team, how many 3s he made the night before.

We ended up playing our biggest rival in the conference championship game. Before the game I scolded the player for only ever talking about offense. I then went on to tell the team one of my favorite speeches.

ďWe could go out there tonight and make every shot we throw up at the rim. If we do that, are we guaranteed to win? No, if they make more 3s or if they get more ft attempts, we still lose. But I guarantee you that if we go out there and make sure they donít make any shots, we canít lose.Ē

We beat our rivals that night. We didnít hold them to 0, but those kids treated every defensive possession like it was the last one they would ever be a part of.

There was another team that I coached that had only scored 9 points through 3 quarters and we felt like we had that game won easily at that point. But thatís a story for another time.

-- Posted by asdf1234 on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 6:09 AM
  • Take however you want, history dosent lie. Congrats on the teaching degree, defense 101 must have been cancelled

-- Posted by Coachken on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 6:19 AM
  • Coachken, practice is at 3:15pm old high school gym. Your more than welcome to come to practice and show us how it's done. I will be waiting, hope to see you there.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 8:23 AM
  • Bearcat,

As a professional, my advice would be to take these posts by Coachken with a grain of salt. You know the work you/your guys put in. If you are satisfied with it, then don't let the ignorance of what does/doesn't go on, in house, bother you. Keep doing what you are doing, always looking for ways to make yourself and your team better.

-- Posted by SEMO_Indian_88 on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 9:20 AM
  • Ha...hey guys today practice will be conducted by Ken, he made a comment on a message board that I didnít agree with so I invited him here to try and prove a point. That folks is how you coach basketball...

-- Posted by Coachken on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 9:46 AM
  • I agree with Coachken. This is a message board. All of you sanctimonious people who whine, cry, complain and boo hoo about what others say on a public message board crack me up. I guess some of y'all would rather continue to suck on the pacifier and cry until mommy changes the poop filled diaper.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 10:01 AM
  • Hey coach, I hope you don't spend too much time practicing in the old gym. For one, I would want to practice in the gym where i'm going to play.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, the goals in that gym are not 10' tall. When they put the the wood floor over the carpet, they never adjusted the goals. I could dunk in the old gym, always failed in the new one. We went up and measured it during my weightlifting class my senior year. They are both about 2.5 inches short of 10 feet.

-- Posted by OakRidge_2004 on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 10:08 AM
  • I can't believe the amazingly supportive and extremely knowledgeable parent/fan/board of education support staff at Oak Ridge has not rectified this situation. No program that is expected to supplant Scott County Central as the premiere class 1 program in the state can operate under such constraints! This situation must be rectified immediately.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 10:11 AM
  • We are practicing in the Old Gym this week because we have a throw back game with Zalma in that Gym this Friday night to honor all those past parents and grandparents that played in that gym.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 10:31 AM
  • You're absolutely right SEMO_Indian_88, it's just that Coachken and I go aways back and he's been my best critic since the mid 1990's. I would be lost without his insight into my coaching deficiencies. Every coach needs that one dedicated fan to really ride you and keep you on your toes. He's mine! Ty CK!

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 10:37 AM
  • Bearcat, at least your a good sport about it,,lol I admire you for that

-- Posted by The deltan on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 11:01 AM
  • Just an opinion, never said a bad thing personally, ever. I would always say your a standup person, which is a better compliment vs saying that your squads donít play much D.

-- Posted by Coachken on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 11:54 AM
  • Thanks Coachken, I have no problems with you at all. Your right everyone is entitled to his or her opinion.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 12:43 PM
  • I still donít understand why coaches get on here unless itís strictly business. You donít see Gregg popovich, Angie garrido, bill belichick, etc on forums. I played for Hale and Graviett and I think both did just fine without a username / account. Just a thought. Never saw the purpose or benefit.

-- Posted by PimpDaddyTaddy on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 2:24 PM
  • just whot it is th yu talkin bout couch kenn? u know not thng bout whot u taklni bout bakslnetball Bucko. u gots a lote to lern bub bout banskdetball.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 2:33 PM
  • I had no idea that game was happening. Looks like i'll have to make the drive up there!!!

Does Zalma know that your goals are 2-3 inches too short?

-- Posted by OakRidge_2004 on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 2:53 PM
  • Actually, I'll only come if they put carpet down and play on that. That would be a true recognition of the great parents and grandparents of the Ridge.

-- Posted by OakRidge_2004 on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 3:05 PM
  • That would be the job of the AD to inform the coach. He was directed to make all inquires to the AD. I just do what I'm told.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 3:06 PM
  • If you cant stop them, make them play on a shorter goal...that was always my motto.

Or in the words of Gandhi - If you aint cheatin, you aint tryin

-- Posted by Talent Wins Games on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 3:17 PM
  • I believe SCC will have (2) starters out for the Oak Ridge game due to suspension from their actions at the East Prairie game Tuesday night

-- Posted by airmaxx on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 5:14 PM

It really shows a poor lack in judgement to hop on here and announce you're a coach and continue to try and talk basketball. And when I say it's a poor lack in judgment I mean it's completely moronic to do so, and can't possibly serve any good purpose

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 5:29 PM
  • The EP coach made a comment in the standard I think. He felt his team deserved top seed in this tounament because they had the best conference record and the fact that they beat Oran.If they didn't get number 1 it would be disrespect for his team.

-- Posted by The deltan on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 5:49 PM
  • The EP coach said it could go a number of ways and that he felt his teams resume was as strong a case as anyoneís.

Donít know what ur point is deltan or what ur trying to stir up. He said that to the newspaper not on semoball thread.

He was quoted that he would feel a little disrespected if they didnít get 1 seed.

Oran would have felt the same if they didnít get it. Three teams had a case and ep had a strong one BUT he didnít say anything wrong or against another team....so donít know why ur stating anything about it

-- Posted by basketball365 on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 8:26 PM
  • Stupid. Chaffee had as much a case for the 1 seed. Disrespect? When is the last year East Prairie won a conference or district title. Never had any respect for them ever since the busses have had to park behind a locked fence to curb vandalism. Keep your mouth shut, beat Chaffee and Oran for the title, then Iíll respect you. Being butthurt doesnít need to make the paper.

-- Posted by gostlrams on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 8:56 PM
  • EP won tourney title as a 4 seed back in 05(?). I remember because I was in college and went and watched the Kelly team (team they best in championship) that beat Charleston at the Christmas tournament. It was a really good game. Kelly was probably the best team I have ever seen that didnít win their district. Split with Charleston and Charleston cruised theough 3A state title.

-- Posted by PimpDaddyTaddy on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 9:02 PM
  • Butthurt???!! This interview was prior to seed meeting.. obviously u donít have a clue and showing ur own stupidity.

Of course a coach is gonna fight for his team. Only coaches of crappy teams or crappy coaches wouldnít.

When is the last time chaffee won it or Oran for that matter. Itís been Scc for a long while.

They beat Ep in championship last year.

Best team will win it.. Your the one crying not ep

-- Posted by bootheelball on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 9:13 PM
  • Basketball365, I didn't say he said it on semoball, I said "the standard I think". Im not trying to stir up anything. Just wandered if anyone else had read that.

-- Posted by The deltan on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 9:23 PM
  • Basketball365, the only way to get that respect is to earn it. They shouldn't have any problems getting by Delta this year, but they still have to beat what I figure will be a stubborn Chaffee team. Then they have get by healthy Oran team on a neutral floor. If they can do that then they will get respect.

-- Posted by The deltan on Thu, Jan 11, 2018, at 9:53 PM
  • You guys can argue EP this, Chaffee That, or Oran the other. But letís face it, Itís Saxonyís tournament.

Josh please donít take down this post.

-- Posted by PimpDaddyTaddy on Fri, Jan 12, 2018, at 12:04 AM
  • PDT, playing in the SMC was probably Saxon wishful thinking at one time.

-- Posted by The deltan on Sat, Jan 13, 2018, at 12:37 PM
  • What in the world do past years results have to do with this year's seedings? In most conferences, the top seed is awarded to the team with the best conference record, period. Should be a given.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sun, Jan 14, 2018, at 11:30 AM
  • Any news? Is the tournament being played?

-- Posted by The deltan on Tue, Jan 16, 2018, at 3:16 PM

Wed:

4pm Jv Delta vs Scott City

5:30pm Jv Chaffee vs Oak Ridge

7pm V SCC vs Oak Ridge

8:30pm V Chaffee vs Kelly

Thur:

4:30pm Jv East Prairie vs Kelly

6pm V East Prairie vs Delta

7:30pm V Oran vs Scott City

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Tue, Jan 16, 2018, at 8:23 PM
  • Thanks Larry,

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Jan 17, 2018, at 4:51 AM

SCC defeats Oak Ridge 76-66.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Wed, Jan 17, 2018, at 7:49 PM
  • Larry, do you know the rest of the tourney schedule? Is finals now on Saturday? And if the are, will it be afternoon or evening? Thanks

-- Posted by vman on Wed, Jan 17, 2018, at 8:00 PM

JV consolation starts at noon on Saturday. Followed by varsity consolation at 130. Championship games at 3 & 430.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Wed, Jan 17, 2018, at 8:14 PM

Kelly upsets Chaffee 74-64.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Wed, Jan 17, 2018, at 9:32 PM
  • Where is this tournament being played?

-- Posted by jayrod on Wed, Jan 17, 2018, at 9:34 PM
  • Chaffee.

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Jan 17, 2018, at 9:48 PM
  • Chaffee missing anyone

-- Posted by asdf1234 on Wed, Jan 17, 2018, at 10:20 PM
  • I haven't read this post in a while, so I have to comment on people who state when you hold a team to fewer points or more points dictates how your team played defense. I have watched and coached against several schools that would not play good defense, but would almost go into a stall game on the offensive end to keep the score down...doesn't mean they played good defense. Second, when you are small, why would you slow it down and get in a 1/2 court game...stupidity if you ask me. I also want to know who is going to get kids to come out for a team if they do not get to score...very few. High risk defense sometimes results in easy baskets and sometimes you score an easy basket...You just have to weigh what is best for your team.

-- Posted by stlcardsfan on Wed, Jan 17, 2018, at 10:33 PM
  • Alec Bogenpohl missing for Chaffee. He is their main point guard. Out with the flu.

-- Posted by Happy50 on Wed, Jan 17, 2018, at 10:41 PM
  • Wow! Quite an upset, regardless.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Wed, Jan 17, 2018, at 10:59 PM
  • Stlcardsfan, your logic makes no sense.

The amount of points you give up is always related to your offense. Holding the ball is a form of defense, the other team canít score if they donít have it. Itís actually the best form of defense. Teams that are not good offensively practice this all the time. Drew Churchís cape central teams did it quite a bit his first couple of years.

Also, being small has no basis on the ability to defend in the half court. Sikeston went undefeated in class 4 about 6-7 years ago, and I donít know if they had a player taller than 6í2. Oran won a class 2 state championship without anyone over 6í2 last year. SCC won a state title the year after Otto graduated, pretty sure they had no one over 6í0 on that team.

Not having size doesnít mean you just play ďhigh riskĒ defense and go after every steal.

Iíve been around for awhile, and Iíve seen quite a bit of basketball. Can you name me one team that has been really successful playing poor defense. I vividly remember the Tom Brown teams from Meadow Heights. Definitely had the size and talent to win a couple of district titles and to go farther than tbat. Could never get out of districts because someone would slow them down and grind them to a loss.

Look in the state record book. William Chrisman high school owns all kinds of shooting records, and had two D1 players on their team. Couldnít get out of districts because all they wanted to do was steal the ball and shoot 3s.

You can defend whoever it is youíre wanting to defend, itís your right. But if youíre talking about Oak Ridge, I havenít seen them play. I have seen their box scores, but they are obviously not good defensively. Good high school teams keep oponents under 60ppg. They gave up 76 to a SCC team missing a couple of players.

Your comment about players not wanting to play for defensive minded coaches. I donít see Oran, cape central, Charleston, sikeston, Bernie, and Chaffee have issues with numbers or players not wanting to play.

-- Posted by asdf1234 on Wed, Jan 17, 2018, at 11:03 PM
  • I wasnít trying to bad mouth any coach. I loved watching Tom Browns teams, they were a lot of fun to watch. You just always knew theyíre offense couldnít carry them every night.

I donít know the new coach at Oak Ridge, and he can coach however he wants. They just give up a lot of points and to blame it on lack of size or shooting quickly is kind of stupid.

It is a fact that they give up a lot of points. Normally that means youíre not good defensively, but whatever.

I just remember a saying I used to tell my teams, ďSometimes we leave our shot at home or in our bed when we get up, but our defense always travels with us!Ē

-- Posted by asdf1234 on Wed, Jan 17, 2018, at 11:08 PM
  • From a post: "Second, when you are small, why would you slow it down and get in a 1/2 court game...stupidity if you ask me. I also want to know who is going to get kids to come out for a team if they do not get to score...very few."

Why, you say? It's because if you're going to have a disadvantage, rebounding wise, you "slow things down" and work for a higher-percentage shot. It's not stupid, but just the opposite! Also, if a coach seeks to attract kids to his program by simply promising them to devote all of their attention to scoring, he's ignoring the value of defense, and how it can compensate for nights when shots aren't going down as usual.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 7:56 AM
  • Winning begats Winning. ďIf you build it, they will come ď.

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 11:11 AM
  • I guess the ole saying holds true. Never underestimate your compition. My hats off to kelly. They are just full of surprises.

-- Posted by The deltan on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 2:09 PM

At the half, Delta leads East Prairie 43-38. Late Eagle spurt cuts the deficit in half.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 6:30 PM

Delta up 5 headed to the 4th, 62-57.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 6:54 PM
  • asdf,

I do not promote playing poor defensively and you missed the point completely. Some times teams play aggressive and score a lot and give up a bunch...don't mean they didn't play good defense. I have also watch Tom Brown and his scoring techniques...he just believed a 3 was going to beat a 2 and he could outscore you. He got a lot of kids to come out because they wanted to score and have fun. Did he have the talent to maybe win more, but he probably wouldn't have had the same players out if he played a conservative game. Some schools are so large, they can play whatever and will have plenty of kids but in smaller schools that is not the case. You mentioned Chaffee...they are well coached right now and have good numbers, but that has not been consistent. My philosophy is to play to your team's strength. If you get a good shot...with players in the right spot...take it. You do not have to run 10 years off the clock so that you keep the ball away from the other team. And just because you take 10 more shots a game than a normal team does, that probably means the other team will do the same and will score more points.

-- Posted by stlcardsfan on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 7:08 PM

Delta gets rattled late double-digital lead 2 minutes ago down to 2 with 1:29 left. Bobcat ball.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 7:11 PM

Turnover Delta, EP ball 1:06 left. Timeout

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 7:14 PM

EP takes ties it at 84 just under a minute to go. Back to back turnovers. Delta misses a last second shot. Now in overtime.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 7:19 PM

All East Prairie in overtime, 94-84 final.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 7:26 PM
  • I believe that loss by Delta falls on the coach. 10 point lead with 2 min left didn't call time out to settle them down til it was 2 point lead.

-- Posted by The deltan on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 7:36 PM
  • Stl, youre the one that brought up holding the ball is a bad idea. No one else had even talked about holding the ball. Do take into consideration that holding the ball is such a good way to win games that the NCAA instituted a shot clock because UNC was so good at winning games doing it.

When was the last time Chaffee didnít have a JV team. Coach Govreau has had good numbers every year heís been there, and coach Moyers before him. Heís had a couple years where they were ravaged by injuries, so that doesnít count.

All Iíll say is look at the numbers. Good high school teams donít give up more than 60 ppg, no matter how fast they play. Just go through the box scores and look at the averages. 90% of the teams with a winning record give up less than 60 and average close to or over 70.

I have never seen a team be successful at the high school level that gave up 75+ppg. If you can name one, let me know. You can try to defend bad defense as much as you want, but itís still that, bad defense.

You have to remember, you cannot compare HS ball to college and the nba. They are forced to take shot because of the shot clock. They can play fast and reckless because they always have time to shoot them selves back into the game.

-- Posted by asdf1234 on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 7:49 PM

Oran looks rusty to start but they lead Scott City 36-15 at halftime.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 8:16 PM

50-23 Oran after 3.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 8:39 PM

Oran defeats Scott City 62-31.

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 8:58 PM
  • Scott County Central...this year and in their glory years would average giving up over 60 per game. College and the NBA stopped it because it was boring! And if you want to pat yourself on the back for holding a team under 60, go ahead...but I bet you that you probably did not score above 60 yourself.

-- Posted by stlcardsfan on Thu, Jan 18, 2018, at 9:46 PM

stlcardsfan, not going to argue with you on your points. I will take exception to you suggesting that the young men at Meadow Heights would not have come out for the team without Tom Brown's offensive coaching scheme. The young men in this small community come out for every offered sport with zeal and commitment. And as small as that school is anyone coming out for the team will likely make the team. The coach at that time was blessed with young student athletes who could play his style of ball. Had it been a different coach with a slower style of play, the same young men would have been out there playing. They do this while keeping grades up to be eligible to play, working part time jobs or in family businesses, and participating in other school and community activities, much like the other youth in small communities in this area. To these young men it's not the style of play that brings them to the hardwood but rather the opportunity to compete and honorably represent their school while playing a game they enjoy. Not trying to pick on you; I just wanted you to have all the facts about this small, proud school before suggesting something that wasn't the fact. For the record, I had young nephews on those teams and on the current one and they would have and do play because they really enjoy playing the game.

-- Posted by spurredscout on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 12:19 AM
  • just whot is tim brown fom mesdow hiehgts? he a bassherball couch and shooted the 3 pt shots an the re an and they shoo ball real well cause they pactice Bucko

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 9:04 AM
  • Meanwhile, back at the Scott-Mississippi boys basketball tournament...

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 9:32 AM
  • Spurredscout, the meadow heights teams Iíve seen in recent years have been exactly how you described them. But. The meadow heights team that blatantly humiliated a Marquand team back in 2006 just for that pointless national 3 pointer record was ridiculous and Tom brown let it happen. The worst part was when they acted like they didnít know they did it even though guys were under the goal by themselves and passed it out, caught the rebound again alone under the goal and passed it out anyway.

-- Posted by PimpDaddyTaddy on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 9:42 AM

Thanks for the segue jf78.

Today's schedule...

4 pm 1)Oran vs 4)Delta (jv)

5:30 2)East Prairie vs 6)Oak Ridge (jv)

7 pm 1)Oran vs 4)Scott County (V)

8:30 7)Kelly vs 3)East Prairie (V)

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 9:43 AM
  • The Catholic gets all self righteous and holier than thou. Only a true snowflake would be whining about what happened in 2006.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 10:04 AM
  • Let's be honest. We all whine from time to time ozzy.

-- Posted by vanduser2000 on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 10:36 AM
  • LOL and the SEMO area bible thumping Republicans evangelicals voted for idiots like Trump and Greitens.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 10:45 AM
  • Duser-A very likely assumption. But man there is a lot of crybaby crap on this board. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Bogey, I guess I could've voted for the even bigger idiot in Hillary?

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 11:08 AM
  • Good point ozzy, all our politicians are idiots and horn dogs. Politics has become a big joke as lobbyists and corporate money run the country.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 11:45 AM
  • Bogey-I don't think that your description is very far off the mark .

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 11:47 AM
  • Ozzy I called it bs when it happened in 06 and if the coach / program had been brought up any other time I wouldíve said it then. Iím not afraid to speak my mind. Just figured that since we were on the topic that would be an appropriate time to say it. I donít whine about what other people post so why do you? If you donít like it stop reading it and responding to it?

Bogey- your comments are getting worse and worse. Like ozzy said, would you really like to be under hilaryís Circus? Also, make sure you decline your increased tax return these next two years since you disagree with it.

-- Posted by PimpDaddyTaddy on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 12:39 PM
  • I merely point out that some posters, such as yourself, are always crying about how others have had crimes against humanity perpetrated against them.

You don't whine about what others say? Good greif, Franklin. You lost your mind when coach Daniel set you straight a short while back. You're full of bologna.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 1:03 PM
  • OKAY, If you aren't here to discuss Scott mississippi conference basketball, then find some other forum. Please!

-- Posted by BLARNEY CARNEY on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 1:11 PM
  • Hey BLARNEY, shut your pie hole.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 1:13 PM
  • Hahaha yeah he sure told me. He invited me to have a discussion then I responded and he disappears? Your definition of straight may be a little bent Ozzy.

I just call people out when thereís a reason to. Excuse me If that stubs toes or offends you but tell me a time Iíve been wrong or crossed the line. Did anything I said coach Daniel did or tried was false or inaccurate? How about any of the record night by meadow heights?

-- Posted by PimpDaddyTaddy on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 2:04 PM
  • At least I pay my fair share of taxes, more than can be said for Trump. But I'm sure he had us all in mind when he slashed corporate tax rate by 18%, which are permanent while the middle class tax cut will expire in 2025. Maybe I'll take my $130 tax return and join one of Donald's golf clubs, which he included a provision in the tax cuts that privately owned golf courses now fall under tax exempt "conservation areas". What a guy, always looking out for us simple folks. Keep drinking the Koolade, even when things are getting Stormy!!LOL I'll be looking forward to a big raise since the "trickle down" effect is coming soon. Reagan's promise too that didn't happen. When is that first check from Mexico arriving to build the wall?????

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 2:08 PM
  • Offends me? You have not been paying attention, son.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Jan 19, 2018, at 2:09 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: