Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: IMPORTANT MEETING!!!

Posted by TrueBlue24 on Wed, Dec 13, 2017, at 2:22 PM:

Hey everyone we have fun here about our various school sports. On another more serious note there will be a meeting in Sikeston at the Christian Academy on Saturday December the 16th at 9am open to the public. I have a good friend in the Bootheel that’s a pastor and he wants as many concerns pastors and parents to attend. It’s about the SCHOOL CHOICE LEGISLATION. Members Jefferson City will be there. They want to inform tax payers you have the right to vote into law how you want your educational tax paying dollars spent. If you want your child to attend a different school with your tax dollars it’s your right.Im all for it. So Sikeston Charleston Cape Jackson Kennet New Madrid whatever school or area you represent come out to a much needed meeting from our Missouri Legislator. THANKS EVERYONE

Replies (40)

Do you have a link to the legislation? Also do you know which legislators will be there?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Dec 13, 2017, at 3:22 PM
  • If I were running a private school I would be very careful about taking tax dollars. There are always strings attached.

-- Posted by watchitall on Wed, Dec 13, 2017, at 3:43 PM

You want your kid to go to a different school,pay your own way. You aint using my tax dollars for a private school.

-- Posted by CoachKent on Wed, Dec 13, 2017, at 6:58 PM

Who said anything about your tax dollars, Kent?

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Wed, Dec 13, 2017, at 7:15 PM
  • Agree with watchitall

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Wed, Dec 13, 2017, at 7:19 PM
  • You’re wrong,Kent.Your tax dollars are used for Valle student’s roads, bridges, police, fire, tax free status, state safety compliance inspections, grants,and soon to be 529 exemptions.

-- Posted by Nada on Wed, Dec 13, 2017, at 7:56 PM

But my roads, bridges, police and fire department don't teach a state educational and financially unregulated religious doctrine I don't adhere to. But I'd still like to read the actual legislation before I state my opinion or say whether I'd be for or against it. Because some stuff I've seen say it doesn't go to religious schools. But true blue was pretty vague. I didn't get the voting and your right part. Like it's my right currently with some legislation that has been approved? Or as a citizen of the US living in a democracy I have a right? Two big differences.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Dec 13, 2017, at 8:23 PM

But I also read some things that it's only for kids who are disabled, fostered, or a veterans child. And they can't use the school choice for a private school. So again I think we need to see what we are discussing before we can make to many points about it. I'm only assuming a religious or private school is somehow involved if pastors should be concerned and the meeting is at a Christian Academy.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Dec 13, 2017, at 8:28 PM
  • So Buck, do you stop paying taxes when a public school teaches something that’s contrary to what you believe?Do you stop paying taxes when your kid graduates?Do people with no kids get an exemption?Do you get to avoid being taxed because you disagree with the Anthem being played before a game?Did you call your political reps and tell em you don’t like the tax free educational savings incentives that will be included in the 529 plans by next week?Do you think your tax dollars stop paying for the police and fire departments to protect Valle when they’re praying in the morning and then kick back in when teaching Algebra?

Your tax dollars already support Valle.The only significant difference between the taxes supporting Valle and those supporting Ste Gen are salaries and per student reimbursement calculations.And your tax dollars pay for all them shiny trophies and plaques.

-- Posted by Nada on Wed, Dec 13, 2017, at 8:39 PM

I'm saying I think we are arguing about something the legislation doesn't allow for in the first place and all comments on here are void until we see which specific house or senate bill the "school choice" legislation on is.

And my point was factional and yours were all hypothetical and none of the situations you suggested apply to me.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Dec 13, 2017, at 8:49 PM
  • Your tax dollars already support private, religious schools through all the ways already shown.Thats not hypothetical, but agreed that it’d help us all to read the legislation.Until then i think it’s alright to discuss the broader issue.

-- Posted by Nada on Wed, Dec 13, 2017, at 9:04 PM

I agree 100%! I mean do we really believe our Missouri house, senate, or a ballot measure would ever pass legislation allowing tax dollars to go to a religious school for tuition? I highly highly highly highly highly doubt it haha, so I really want to read the thing. Or at least know what is being discussed at this meeting and who is presenting.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Dec 13, 2017, at 9:15 PM
  • School choice and Vouchers are heading toward getting passed. Before you comment and lead people down the wrong road read up on what is allowed in St. Louis and Kansas City with charter schools. There is very little that was true. Go read up and look into how the state is going to fund these schools. Then form your own opinion.

-- Posted by Pville.dawg on Thu, Dec 14, 2017, at 9:48 AM
  • Greitens has been a big disappointment thus far. He's bent on making the change for the offering of school choice and vouchers and I'll be shocked if something doesn't change regarding these topics.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Dec 14, 2017, at 10:58 AM
  • Pville.dawg...

Do you have any links so we can read up on this information. As someone that has kids in a school district, I am very interested in this.

Thanks for your help in advance.

-- Posted by alum3221 on Thu, Dec 14, 2017, at 11:38 AM

Pville dawg were you referring to my comments?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Dec 14, 2017, at 12:00 PM
  • Once everybody gets their huge, massive,beautiful, tax cut being rushed through congress they will be able to send their kids to whatever school they choose.

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Thu, Dec 14, 2017, at 12:49 PM
  • What was rushed through Congress?The bill being voted on next week is essentially what was promised in the 2016 elections.If you want to insert politics into this forum then you might wanna know what you’re talking about.

-- Posted by Nada on Thu, Dec 14, 2017, at 1:08 PM
  • Run into an walls with those blinders on?

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Thu, Dec 14, 2017, at 4:37 PM
  • This is same as "right to work" which weaken and defund unions..tax money used for private schools weaken and defund public schools...it's primarily a republican thing!

-- Posted by indian73 on Thu, Dec 14, 2017, at 4:56 PM

I dont want my tax dollars paying a school that doesnt have to accept all students, doesnt have to provide all services to handicapped and special needs kids, and doesnt have to do the testing or follow the curriculum that are required of public schools. Period. This is total nonsense.

-- Posted by CoachKent on Thu, Dec 14, 2017, at 5:32 PM
  • I currently do not have a link to the bill that was being used as a trial in the bigger cities. Coach Kent is correct in his statement. The schools whether a public school a student has a voucher for or private that is getting a student will get a percent of the public school fund up to 35%. The fund comes from the state as of now so it will have little impact on schools with little state funding but harm poorer schools potentially. It will lead to consolidation in a few years which can be good or bad. It can allow a kid to leave a failing district on the states dollar or take the best kids away from districts in need depending on how you look at it . It is very complex and could take many turns. I suggest not listening to media or words and doing some research. I will try to find the bill And post a link.

-- Posted by Pville.dawg on Thu, Dec 14, 2017, at 7:58 PM
  • I wish I could be of more insight and assistance. There is no telling what is coming though in the new bill.

-- Posted by Pville.dawg on Thu, Dec 14, 2017, at 8:01 PM
  • Your tax dollars already pay for the private schools like Valle.To disregard that truth is nonsense.

-- Posted by Nada on Thu, Dec 14, 2017, at 8:56 PM
  • This would be tax dollars paying for anything the school wants without oversight. Tax breaks and roads are not directly funding every operation. So let's say a stud football player from inner stl wants to go to valle, the stl district the player is from could be liable for transportation to Valle and paying his due.

-- Posted by Pville.dawg on Thu, Dec 14, 2017, at 9:08 PM
  • Today.....right now....If the St.Louis school is underperforming, the stud football player can transfer to another public school and the underperforming district picks up the transportation costs.

And, like you said, you don’t know what’s in the pending legislation, so the stud football player example is conjecture.

Your tax dollars already pay for Valle’s roads, bridges, police and fire protection, state compliance inspections, legislative grants, and within 96 hours will be paying for tax free 529 contributions.All without oversight.

-- Posted by Nada on Thu, Dec 14, 2017, at 9:48 PM
  • This guy is amazing. Did you skip the part about it being tried in stl and Kansas City. Lol.

-- Posted by Pville.dawg on Thu, Dec 14, 2017, at 10:30 PM
  • This is the dumbest person I have communicated with outside of bleed.

-- Posted by Pville.dawg on Thu, Dec 14, 2017, at 10:37 PM
  • No one skipped anything.A football stud in an underperforming school in any part of the state meets the existing criteria for transfer.So if there were a football stud at Saint Genevieve and that school were underperforming then that player could transfer to Festus while the SG school pays the transportation costs.

It’s not being tried, but it is currently being done.

Pay your taxes so Valle kids get to school on good roads.

-- Posted by Nada on Thu, Dec 14, 2017, at 10:41 PM
  • Coach Kent made the most sense in this thread. Very good comments.

-- Posted by SEMO747883 on Fri, Dec 15, 2017, at 12:12 AM
  • A kid from an underperforming school can not just transfer. A kid from an unaccredited school can transfer. Underperforming and unaccredited are two vastly different things. There are currently 0 unaccredited districts in the state. Which means 0 students can use the transfer rule you are referencing.

https://dese.mo.gov/sites/default/files/MSIP5_Accreditation_Classification.pdf

-- Posted by tbonefizzle on Fri, Dec 15, 2017, at 9:11 AM

Excellent point tbone. And many past bills state a kid can go to a private school, but not one that has a religious affiliation or run by an organization that has a religious affiliation. Missouri has very few private schools that don't fit one of those two designations. Again without looking at any legislation we still don't know. You can't have a bill that is "trial". And what we are speculating on and what charter schools in KC and STL are doing is two completely different conversations.

Missouri, like a bunch of other states, has the Blaine Amendments. “Neither the general assembly, nor any county, city, town, township, school district or other municipal corporation, shall ever make an appropriation or pay from any public fund whatever, anything in aid of any religious creed, church or sectarian purpose, or to help to support or sustain any private or public school, academy, seminary, college, university, or other institution of learning controlled by any religious creed, church or sectarian denomination whatever; nor shall any grant or donation of personal property or real estate ever be made by the state, or any county, city, town, or other municipal corporation, for any religious creed, church, or sectarian purpose whatever.” So any school choice allowing funds to go to a religious school, which is what I stated wouldn’t be close, would be unconstitutional and overturned in the Missouri Supreme Court as it has been in several other states.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Dec 15, 2017, at 9:21 AM
  • Lol and somebody on here told me this thread wasn't about politics.

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Fri, Dec 15, 2017, at 9:41 AM

Yeah you couldn't discuss this topic without politics, as it's a political issue.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Dec 15, 2017, at 9:58 AM
  • There is a difference between underperforming and unaccredited.The generalized application of the term I used was incorrectly thought to have suited the audience in the broader discussion.Both underperforming and unaccredited terms trigger authorities accommodating student transfers.The football stud from the unaccredited school can transfer. The football stud from the underperforming school can transfer. The former is an automatic accomodation that cannot be challenged by the losing institution upon the student request while the latter is an automatic opportunity that requires approval and agreement between both the losing and gaining institutions based on the student request.

-- Posted by Nada on Fri, Dec 15, 2017, at 11:25 AM
  • We’re now a little more than 72 hours away from tax free private and home school 529 contributions being federal law.

And the SCOTUS ruled in favor of the church in Trinity Lutheran v Comer.

-- Posted by Nada on Fri, Dec 15, 2017, at 12:16 PM

http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/parents-have-right-choose-school-which-t...

Sorry Buck I had a death in family and it has been hectic. I will post the exact link later. Have great holiday enjoy your games👍🏾

-- Posted by TrueBlue24 on Wed, Dec 20, 2017, at 8:46 AM

Thank you TrueBlue! Also so sorry for your loss, I will be praying for your family.

Interested to see the exact link later sense this link isn't about Missouri or any legislation. So I guess we are going back to my post on the first day that we are just discussing the general right to vote scenario. Anyone go to the meeting?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Dec 20, 2017, at 9:03 AM
  • Trump and Greitens have the same agenda. More magnet schools and tuition vouchers for private schools because of our so called "failing public schools in the US". This is a fake news to coin a Trump phrase. It is a social problem, not an educational problem. There are too many parents not involved in their children's lives and education. The vast majority of public high schools in Missouri are providing a quality education for students. The failing schools have enormous absentee rates.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Wed, Dec 20, 2017, at 9:24 AM

And tuition vouchers have been defeated in almost every state that has a Blaine Amendment in their constitution. Riverview Gardens said when they were unaccredited they lost $23 million from transfers. Now that they are accredited they are still struggling from all the lost revenue.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Dec 20, 2017, at 9:52 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: