High School Basketball Forum: What's Coming This Season?

Posted by Polyatomic Hoops on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 1:58 PM:

Practice is right around the corner. Anyone looked at any schedules for this upcoming season? Anyone add teams this year to their schedule that could shake things up? Which games should be really exciting to watch now that last year's seniors are gone, and now there is a new set of players preparing for their last year of High School Hoops?

Replies (35)

• For the 1st time in a long time Sikeston doesn't open the season with Blytheville Ar. instead the open at home with Carnhan. They also added Saxony.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 6:15 PM
  • Looking forward to the SEMO tournament as always!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 6:22 PM
  • Fatboy you are really scaring me. You used to totally hate Sikeston and would let everyone know that but now you are keeping up with our schedule. Hmmm must be the wife influence. Hope I'm remembering everything right. Lol

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 6:41 PM
  • The Dogs also play Chaminade at home on a Friday night.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 10:01 PM
  • TFA, I'm a Bulldog through and through. I may not like the way some of our fans act but I always root for the Bulldogs. They are 2nd only to the Cardinals. And Rocket689, I hope they got hit hard by graduation because last years game was ugly.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 11:13 PM
  • Then who the heck am I thinking of? Hmmm

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Oct 4, 2017, at 5:22 AM
  • Saxony vs. Sikeston???

-- Posted by Polyatomic Hoops on Wed, Oct 4, 2017, at 10:21 AM

TFA I believe you are thinking of Farmboy06. Believe he is in the bulldog "mixed marriage". Haven't heard from him on here in a couple three years.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 4, 2017, at 11:03 AM
  • I am thank u Buck

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Oct 4, 2017, at 12:49 PM
  • There are a few games I always look forward to. Cape Sikeston is always fun. I like watching Charelston whenever they are close. I heard sikeston added 2 more top notch players. If this is true they will be tough to beat. Also looking forward to Sikeston, Jackson rematch should be good not sure where it is at. I want to watch a Saxony more this year also. Really looking forward to season.

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Wed, Oct 4, 2017, at 10:11 PM

I am definitely looking forward to the season and conditioning will be starting real soon!I will give some of my thoughts that i am looking forward to.

Class 1

Eminence is this their year to make it to the final 4 time is starting to get precious on this special group!

Advance is probably saying they still have to beat us first!

Dora has a very talented young group and may upset the apple cart!

Scc can they work their way back into the picture!

South Iron has some nice young talent coming for the next few years first wave this year!

Risco is always in the mix as well!

Class 2

Can Oran stay on top of the Mountain?

Can Bernie become very competitive again?

How far will Ellington tumble?

Class 3

Can anyone beat Witfield?

Saxony

Charleston

C-ville

PHC

Class 4

Sikeston"s world until the St.Louis teams!

Class 5

Can Poplar Bluff slay the Jackson demon"s probably thought they had them beat last year but there was a problem Jackson was smarter at the very end of the game this rivalry should be very fun to watch again!

-- Posted by porchswing on Thu, Oct 5, 2017, at 10:42 AM
  • Can we start basketball season early?

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Sat, Oct 7, 2017, at 5:53 PM
  • Does anyone know who all is involved in the Riverbend this year?

Notable out of conference matchups I've seen:

Sikeston: Chaminade, Miller Career Academy, and @ Saxony

Jackson: Vianney and Soldan @Bluff, @ Miller Career, and Carbondale

Saxony: Carbondale tournament, Duchesne, Sikeston, and @ Springfield Catholic

-- Posted by semo501 on Sat, Oct 7, 2017, at 9:24 PM
  • I'm with rocketsbro!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Oct 8, 2017, at 12:00 AM

Sikeston also plays @ Whitfield. They’ll have one of the best guards in the state in Torrence Watson. He’s verbally committed to Missouri and is the #12 shooting guard in the nation.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Sun, Oct 8, 2017, at 8:25 AM
  • Sikeston is also playing Father Tolton again. They will be playing Tolton and Whitfield on consecutive days. They are playing at Tolton on Friday night then playing Whitfield at the MFA Shootout (I think that's the name) on Saturday at Mizzou Arena.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Oct 8, 2017, at 10:36 AM
  • I know who Sikeston and PB have returning. What does Jackson and Cape have coming back?

-- Posted by Richard Simmons on Sun, Oct 8, 2017, at 4:50 PM
  • Jackson loses 1 starter (SG, Jacob Friess) and their backup center (Brett Varner). So they'll have 9 guys returning with varsity experience.

Cape loses 4 guards: Zyshon Mallory, Blake Harris, Jawone Newell, and Kway'chon Chism. However, they return many key guards such as Hodges, Oswald, Reddin, and Hughes. Plus they have big guys Woodson and high flyer Austin Parker back as well.

-- Posted by semo501 on Sun, Oct 8, 2017, at 6:43 PM
  • I overheard some bball players at the Jackson/Cape football game saying the QB Callis is playing bball too?

-- Posted by Richard Simmons on Sun, Oct 8, 2017, at 7:59 PM
  • My ears were burning. Ayyyy, what up?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Oct 10, 2017, at 6:23 PM
  • Do you have proof that it's you?

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Oct 10, 2017, at 6:38 PM
  • Hey porchswing ! What is Sikeston record against these so called St. Louis teams ?

I know 3 of our players plays on St.Louis AAU teams . Their not afraid of these young men and they can and will compete with them if we play team ball not “ I “ ball = W

-- Posted by A fan of no fan on Thu, Oct 12, 2017, at 10:23 AM

A fan of no fan, Interesting username why don"t you like fans of the game? I don't know what Sikeston's record is against St.Louis teams there are plenty of die hard Sikeston fans that can give you that stat! But i am with you on Thatch and as you say 2 teammates that can play with St.Louis talent i just know last year it was a St.Louis team that sent Sikeston home!I really feel like if Hillsboro would have had a Jones at point they may have sent them home just my opinion! I think Sikeston fans of which i am not a die hard lol hope the influx of talent can keep them ahead of Hillsboro and possibly get them past a st.Louis team this year and make it to the final 4! If Sikeston is the representative from this area this year i will be on the Sikeston band wagon in Springfield with you!

-- Posted by porchswing on Thu, Oct 12, 2017, at 11:05 AM
  • Any word on girls teams in the area?

-- Posted by ProV1X on Thu, Oct 12, 2017, at 1:59 PM
  • porchswing: I believe Sikeston has won both tournaments in St.louis area the last 2 years . We lost 2 or 3 regular season game , but played them well .Against Chaminade , yes we lost but we put 84 points up against them , which was the most in a while .. beat Whitfield at the field house .

-- Posted by A fan of no fan on Thu, Oct 12, 2017, at 4:36 PM

What is the official practice start date in Missouri?

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Fri, Oct 13, 2017, at 7:14 AM
  • Porchswing: I’ve alreadt got my reservations in Springfield made . Not really , I’ve got relatives that live there and has open there doors ! Ready for some 🏀🏀

-- Posted by A fan of no fan on Fri, Oct 13, 2017, at 8:40 AM
  • ProV1X, from what I have seen & gotten word is that Neelyville girls will be super tough this season! Dexter, Oran and Saxony Lutheran should be very solid! Charleston and New Madrid could be pleasant surprises! Looking forward to seeing the girls compete this year in the SEMO area!

-- Posted by Soloflex on Fri, Oct 13, 2017, at 10:12 AM

JustSpeakingTheTruth, I believe first day of practice is October 30th!ProVix i think soloflex has hit on a few that i would say are going to be pretty good Oran and South Iron will be really tough again after both made it to the final four last year!

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Oct 13, 2017, at 11:42 AM
  • Porchswing I guess by that token if Sikeston had one of Vashon's 6'8" guys then they would have sent them home lol.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Oct 13, 2017, at 12:58 PM
  • Sikeston is 50-12 vs St. Louis area teams over the past 10 seasons. Of those 12 losses, 3 were to state champions in the playoffs (Borgia ‘09 and Vashon ’16, ‘17), 2 were to state runner-ups (Borgia ’10 and Normandy ‘13) in the playoffs.The others were to Tyler Griffey and Lafayette in ’09, Imagine Prep in ’12, Maplewood-Richmond Heights in ’13, Ft Zumwalt South in ’15; McCluer in ’17, Chaminade in ’17, Miller Career in ’17.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Oct 13, 2017, at 1:00 PM
  • Some of the solid teams I believe in each class:

Class 1) Oran

class 2) Neelyville

class 3) Saxony

class 4) Dexter

class 5) Jackson

This is most certainly not a list of all the top teams for girls in our area, just some I believe will be good based on last year's performances.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Fri, Oct 13, 2017, at 1:35 PM

Semohoops your probably right about that one more high caliber big man and Sikeston may have made it last year! Dexter Native Oran is class 2!

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Oct 13, 2017, at 11:17 PM

Caruthersville lost their starting inside guy, Deandre Davis. Tore his ACL playing football. Cville won't be on the level of Sikeston but will have plenty of talent to play with Charleston and Saxony. Should be a very good year in SEMO for basketball as a whole.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Oct 13, 2017, at 11:52 PM
  • My apologies on Oran’s classification.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Sat, Oct 14, 2017, at 12:35 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: