High School Basketball Forum: Jontay Porter commits to Mizzou

Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, May 23, 2017, at 7:03 PM:

In STL Post today, although he hasn't announced if he intends to come out of high school now or Class of 2018. He said he has made up his mind but will not announce his decision until after a big AAU event in a few weeks. My bet is he will be in a Mizzou uniform next year.

Replies (12)

• Jontay cleared by NCAA to enroll this fall at Mizzou. A front court of 6'10 Tillmon, 6'11" Jontay, and 6'8" Michael Jr. sounds good. Can't wait to see them play.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Sat, Jul 15, 2017, at 7:10 AM
  • How does he have the credits necessary if he's only been in HS for 3 years?

-- Posted by richierich on Sat, Jul 15, 2017, at 4:23 PM

Summer classes or independent high school online course. Would be similar if not exactly like taking clssses to get a GED. He just takes the one with the senior credits he probably didn't have like an additional math or English class.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Jul 15, 2017, at 5:02 PM
  • After my 3rd year in high school I only had half a fine art credit and government left before I could graduate. So, if you try to its definitely possible to be done with high school after the summer of your junior year. Lots of kids do this each year, but most usually announce that they're reclassifying much earlier in the year

-- Posted by semo501 on Sat, Jul 15, 2017, at 9:33 PM
  • Bucks explanation of how it can be done is spot on. And 501 is correct also. It's really not that hard to do but you so have to be a relatively good student to accomplish that!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Jul 15, 2017, at 9:55 PM
  • STL Post stated he was home schooled this past yr while playing for a Seattle area private school. All the children were home schooled up thru 8th grade. I have read that they were all bright and good students, so probably not hard for Jontay to earn enough credits. This is a very unique, close, religious family. I still think they may hang around 2 yrs.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Sun, Jul 16, 2017, at 6:52 PM
  • Love to hear about that story Bogey!!

Thank you!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Jul 16, 2017, at 9:11 PM
  • Michael Jr. has mentioned that he may not definitely be a one and done. Both have mentioned how much they want to restore Mizzou's program to prominence. It may take two years for them to adjust to the college game, and to build a Top Ten/Final Four caliber team. Dad is making $300K and mom has a good paying, professional job, sisters at Mizzou, so that enticement of the big NBA contract may not be the sole deciding factor.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Sun, Jul 16, 2017, at 9:46 PM
  • Bogey you really think when they say #1 pick and the millions that go with it he'll pass? I can't see that happening no matter what he says about Mizzou. And quite frankly he'd be really dumb to do that. If he gets hurt he could end with nothing. I know I'd be pushing my kid to take the job and run. I'll be shocked if he passes.

-- Posted by oldroundballer on Mon, Jul 17, 2017, at 12:57 PM
  • Oh I think Jr will be one and done. Just saying I won't be shocked if he stays two years either. Jontay will need to add some bulk.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Jul 18, 2017, at 10:42 AM
  • Cant imagine turning down millions of benjamins to restore the roar at Hungerstrike U. Very nice of him to consider it but ya better make off with the dough whilst ur knee ligaments are still intact!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Jul 18, 2017, at 1:25 PM
  • Absolutely agree ciri!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Jul 19, 2017, at 8:51 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: