Webster Groves wins Class 5 State Title

Posted by Mr. Baseball on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 2:22 PM:

Interesting: The Class 5 Boys Final 4 order of finish:

1. Webster Groves (public)

2. Lee's Summit West (public)

3. Kickapoo (public)

4. Chaminade (private)

Replies

• Didn't Webster groves have that Gordon kid transfer to them?

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 3:04 PM
  • Yes, but he has always lived in Webster Groves School District.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 3:13 PM
  • Ford also transferred in after averaging 26 points per game at Affton

-- Posted by semohoops on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 3:23 PM
  • Ford's family moved into the district. Webster won the championship 70 to 35. Destroying Lee's Summit West, the team Chaminade lost to in the semi-finals.

I get the feeling people are trying to minimize the public schools accomplishments against the Power Preps such as Chaminade, who Jackson didn't think they had a prayer to beat because they were so great and a national prep school.

My point, public schools can still upend these private schools.

Webster Groves was lucky to get past a great Kickapoo (Springfield, MO) public school.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 4:44 PM
  • There are good public schools. But I wish people would admit that they "recruit" players almost as much as private schools.

-- Posted by BonScott on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 4:54 PM
  • Maybe there is some recruiting, but how can you stop a kid from moving into the district? I get your point about "recruiting" but as far as I know, all of these kids at the public schools either live in the district or their parents may teach at the school.

Whereas for example, SLUH has kids from Illinois, St. Louis City-County, Jefferson County, St. Charles County at their schools.

People consider Chaminade at a much higher recruiting level, as they even have a 6'11" player from Canada and have dorms.

My main point is, Chaminade can be defeated, by some very good public school programs. In my opinion, if they are recruiting, it is not near the level of SLUH or far below that of Chaminade.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 5:11 PM
  • WG is Not a typical public school when it comes to basketball!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 5:30 PM
  • Then Kickapoo and Lee's Summit West must not be typical public schools when it comes to basketball either.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 5:37 PM
  • IP and Mr. Baseball,

Please elaborate. I'm confused.

-- Posted by BonScott on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 5:52 PM
  • Again, the bottom line I am trying to convey is, the private schools in Missouri can be beaten, at least part of the time.

My last comment was that three public schools in Missouri were able to finish higher than Chaminade this year; minimizing the comment that Webster Groves is "special" when it comes to basketball.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 6:02 PM
  • Mr. Baseball,

I agree with what your saying. I mainly didn't understand what IP was saying about Webster Groves being "special". Even after you factor in the percentages of private vs. public schools; I would bet public schools win more championships.

-- Posted by BonScott on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 6:16 PM
  • Private school wins state they cheated if a St. Louis public schools wins they also cheated...did anyone think that maybe southeast sports isn't as good as you think.

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 6:24 PM
  • ESPN05,

I never saw anyone accuse anyone of cheating. But if you don't think historically that SEMO basketball isn't the best in the state, I would suggest you do some studying.

-- Posted by BonScott on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 6:30 PM
  • Bon! I was agreeing with you that public schools also recruit...Gordon ending up back there for example.

I don't care that he lives in the district...he didn't play there at first!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 6:43 PM
  • Gotcha IP. Sometimes I'm slow. :)

-- Posted by BonScott on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 6:49 PM
  • That is the same thing as saying a Saxony Lutheran player that lives in Jackson should not ever decide to transfer and play for Jackson High School. I bet you would not have a problem with it.

If you want to dismiss Webster Groves, you can't dismiss the other two public schools that made it past Chaminade, unless you know more than me about their rosters.

Again, my point being, maybe public schools recruit to some extent, but they are not on the same level of recruiting as the private schools or like the national recruiter, Chaminade.

People may claim that Jackson recruits as well. Maybe a family in the Oak Ridge area decides to move to Jackson for a better sports program. I guess Jackson should not allow them to play?

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 6:57 PM
  • I would have a problem with it! If you choose Saxony to start then stay there and make the best of it!

And I'm not dismissing anyone...I'm really happy Chaminade ended up in last place at the final four!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 7:01 PM
  • Well, if you have a problem with a kid leaving a private school to play for his public school, I would think that you are in the minority.

In Gordon's case at Webster Groves, he was enrolled for one calendar year before he was allowed to play for Webster Groves. His older brother went to Webster Groves and graduated last year.

If there are a majority that think a kid should never switch high schools, then maybe petition or talk to your local MSHSAA rep and try to get that rule established.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 7:07 PM
  • If I'm in the minority about leaving a private school then so be it!! You see, I'm not a win at any cost kind of guy! Families move...I have no problem with that! That's life!

I'm a life long Jackson Indian!! Proud of our town and our teams! Hence my username!! If we weren't good enough for you when you had a choice then I wish you the best with your original choice!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 7:23 PM
  • And Bon I don't think there is anything slow about your thoughts...you have the most realistic view of what high school sports has become in my opinion!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 7:28 PM
  • Fair enough Indian Pride.

When I was in high school, I had about 4 choices. I chose to go to the high school where the majority of my lifelong friends were going, the local public high school. Even though we had less success in sports, I truly value the friendships and hometown pride we had.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 7:28 PM
  • Well said Mr. Baseball...that's really what I was getting at from the start!

Hometown Pride!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 7:32 PM
  • Thanks IP. I am a sports guy through and through and I had my day in the sun years ago. But what some of these youth sports programs and high school programs have turned into makes me not want watch or follow it. It makes me want to steer my son towards golf or bowling. 😄...And FYI, I agree with your and Mr. Baseball's last comments 100%.

-- Posted by BonScott on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 8:06 PM
  • You're welcome Bon!! And yes it's hard to fathom what it has all become...BTW...now that I'm old I love golf and bowling more than ever!!😊

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 8:29 PM
  • Almost...and I say almost...every public school that wins a state championship in one of the 3 main sports will have kids who "move into" their district and play on those teams.

The key being the "move into"....

I would imagine Charleston has won a few BB state championships where kids were hometown kids.....but they are the exception.

-- Posted by BTIndians on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 8:45 PM
  • I'm not saying anything shady happened with Ford moving to Webster Groves. I was just saying that any team could benefit from a player moving in that averaged 26 ppg the year before. He certainly helped their team as did Gordon of course. I have no problem with anything that happened. Gordon quit Vianney and decided to go back to his "hometown" school. He sat 365 days and did it by the rules.

But yes I agree that Chaminade and other St. Louis privates can literally choose anybody they want to come to their schools, waive their tuition with "scholarships" and voila, you have a state contender every year. Does that mean they are unbeatable? No. But for the small town high schools like Jackson, it pretty much is unwinnable.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sun, Mar 19, 2017, at 8:58 PM
  • And Kickapoo, yes they have their pick of any student in the Springfield school district. A student can choose which ever High school they want to attend just as long as their in the Springfield dist. Parkview, Glendale, Hillcrest and Kickapoo

-- Posted by 4REAL on Mon, Mar 20, 2017, at 7:20 AM
  • Oh forgot, Central HS in Springfield

-- Posted by 4REAL on Mon, Mar 20, 2017, at 7:21 AM

I rarely get into the public-private issue, but I am aware of the Ford situation. His transfer had absolutely nothing to do with basketball. And the WG coaches and administrators made the family prove it had nothing to do with basketball.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Mon, Mar 20, 2017, at 7:24 AM
  • Unclegrubworm,

How do you actually "prove" that?

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Mar 20, 2017, at 8:34 AM

If you were aware of the situation, I don't think you'd have questions.

Sometimes families have to move when no one in the family wants to.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Mon, Mar 20, 2017, at 8:42 AM
  • Fair enough. I was just curious because one could come up with a thousand excuses for moving other than for basketball.

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Mar 20, 2017, at 8:53 AM
  • Unless it has changed fairly recently, there are boundaries in Springfield for each public school. I know this first-hand, as my wife was in the Glendale school boundaries and would have to pay tuition to attend one of the others. So I question the statement about being able to attend any high school in Springfield, regardless of where you live.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Mon, Mar 20, 2017, at 9:22 AM
  • Google Geno Auriema's comments on what sports has become. He says very plainly he will not play a kid that acts like many do today no matter how good they are and they know it! He said when he watches game film he watches what's going on on his bench, if any players are asleep, not paying attention, or acting silly they will not play and they know it! Pretty interesting stuff from a very good coach.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Mon, Mar 20, 2017, at 7:54 PM
  • The way it should be 3R!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Mar 20, 2017, at 8:02 PM
  • Agreed IP. There is way too much showboating for doing something that you should do instead of acting like you've been there and done that before. I don't mind a celebration after a big win but, not chest bumping and acting crazy during a game, after a 3 point shot or a dunk.

-- Posted by 3Rfan on Tue, Mar 21, 2017, at 2:57 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: