Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Mizzou hires C Martin

Posted by Coach Horrell on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 7:19 PM:

Follow Mizzou on powermizzou.com so thought i'd post because we have some highly touted guys here in the bootheel with Mizzou offers.

mizzou hired a new coach Cuonzo Martin

Dad Michael Porter Sr

Son Michael Porter Jr

Middle Son Jontay Porter

Daughter Cierra Porter

All kids raised in Columbia the last 7 years.

Dad hired as woman's assistant to get daughter to come to Mizzou. She did.

Brothers grow up to be studs so colleges come calling for a new job for dad to get the boys to commit.

Lorenzo Romar Washington Husky head coach. Used to be at SLU. Calls Porter Sr. offers assistant job dad takes it kid's commit.

Romar is Porter boys godfather through baptism.

Family moves to Washington daughter stays playing at mizzou.

Mom gets homesick/upset she can't have all the kids close together.

Today news breaks that mom wants to reunite the family and Porters may come back to Mizzou if that happens

3:15 Romar fired at Washington.

5:45 Michael Porter Sr signs a contract to become an assistant at Mizzou to coach with Cuonzo Martin.

Michael Porter Jr. number 1 player in country in 2017 class.

Jontay Porter number 38 player in 2018 class. Knows big brother is 1 and done. Wants to reclassify to play 1 year with him. He's 6'9" 240.

Michael Smith 6'5" SG out of Edwardsville

A while back he was committed to mizzou to play baseball.

Decided he wanted to play basketball instead.

4 star player in this class.

His final school's are Mizzou, Cal, Indiana, Illinois.

His Cal recruiter was Martin and Tracy Webster who's following Martin to Columbia.

His Illinois recruiter was Jamal Walker.. same guy who is bringin Tilmon. And he liked Mizzou's campus n stuff already to commit when he was going to do baseball.

Mizzou hires Cuonzo

Illinois fired John Groce

Illinois top assistant Jamall Walker is now on Mizzou's staff

He was recruiting Jeremiah Tilmon Number 38 player in the country 4 star Center.. He's from East St. louis. Mizzou was in his final top 3

Cuonzo Martin... from East St. louis

Replies (46)

• 1 correction.

Mizzou women's coach is the porters moms sister. So the daughter on the team was recruited without pops as a tag along at first

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 7:45 PM
  • Martin did a good job at UT. He now has to compete with Travis Ford and SLU for local recruits...should be interesting.

-- Posted by But on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 8:04 PM
  • One caveat; what if Romar gets another job, and makes same offer to the "Porter clan?"

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 8:09 PM

That escalated quickly...

-- Posted by secretagentman on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 8:12 PM

Martin was given a raw deal at Tennessee. The ad wouldn't extend him (ad proves to be an even bigger idiot and hires butch jones). He is from ESTL. He wants to come "home" can't blame him for that and wants to turn the ship around and looks to be doing a good job in the first 5 hours! Lol

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 9:06 PM
  • There are two of Michael Porter Sr.'s daughters on the Mizzou womens team:

4 Bri Porter 6-3 F Jr. Columbia, Mo. / Rock Bridge

21 Cierra Porter 6-4 F So. Columbia, Mo. / Rock Bridge

-- Posted by hoopsguru on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 9:25 PM
  • Bri is unfortunately going to have to retire. She tore her ACL for the 5th time right before the season started this year. So so sad. Cierra wore her #4 jersey this season in her honor. In happier news, Mizzou went from the outhouse to the penthouse in 24 hours.

-- Posted by The Deuce on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 9:32 PM
  • Just to clarify...Porter Sr. Has already signed on to Coach at Mizzou???

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 9:37 PM
  • Yes IP. They reported it on ESPN tonight also. He was an assistant at Washington and Washington coach got fired today.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 9:47 PM
  • I'm not excited about this hire. Martin has had decent records but his conference records aren't great. Unless he was wanting to get closer to "home", I don't understand the move.

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 10:01 PM
  • Several think there were better candidates, but realistically, the program has descended to a point where Mizzou was not going to be able to lure a "blockbuster candidate" at this time. Let's first return to respectability, then move on from there!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 10:20 PM
  • Excellent breakdown coach

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 11:38 PM
  • Very good choice for Mizzou.

-- Posted by 4REAL on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 7:44 AM
  • Thanks Deuce, I did not know that about Bri, I was just going off something on another forum.

Question for you Bootheel guys, is it true that the Michael Porter Sr. Mizzou family is related to the Sikeston/Haywood City Porter family and/or the Charleston Frazier family? I have heard this but I no idea if there is any truth behind this. Thanks.

-- Posted by hoopsguru on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 9:08 AM
  • Are there any other strong connections with Porter Jr and other players that could be

swayed to come with him?

-- Posted by uncommon_sense on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 9:12 AM
  • I don't see how anyone can believe that there were better candidates out there that were "available" to Mizzou to hire. Crean has been to a Final Four, but he didn't want to come to Mizzou. That's pretty obvious. I would've like to see them go after Kevin Keatts. But he doesn't bring the things to the table that Martin can bring. Holtmann at Butler is nice. But what has he done? Martin has recruited and coached several guys that are/have been/or will be in the NBA. Guys like Jordan McRae, Josh Richardson, Jaylon Brown, Ivan Rabb, etc... He can recruit. He hasn't broken through and reached a Final Four or better, but he hasn't been coaching that long either.

He's gives Mizzou a great shot at finally winning the recruiting wars, in state. Just think if Mizzou had the likes of a Jayson Tatum(Duke), Tyler Cook(Iowa), Juwon Morgan(Indiana), OG Anunoby(Indiana), Ishmail Wainwright(Baylor),Malcolm Hill(Belleville, IL,(Illinois).

Maybe he can recruit Missouri/ESTL guys like Jeremiah Tilmon, Jordan Goodwin, Mark Adams, Torrence Watson, Gordon, Etc...

Tons of talent in Kansas City as well.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 9:53 AM
  • Martin didn't recruit Richardson or McRae. He inherited them from the shyster formerly known as Bruce Pearl.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 9:56 AM
  • They are of no relation guru.

-- Posted by The Deuce on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 10:17 AM
  • Mizzou coach fired

Martin offered job, makes call to Porter Sr.

Martin accepts job, Porter accepts Martin's offer

Porter family says misses CoMo

Washington finds out MP1 going to Mizzou, fires coach. Clears MPjr from NLI

MP1 announces going to Mizzou.

I am sure the rest will be easy to figure.

-- Posted by Jeff on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 11:10 AM
  • Changes in coaches doesn't release a player from NLI (but it should). If he's going to Mizzou then he never signed he just verbally committed.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 11:13 AM
  • The school will release him from his NLI cracker.

-- Posted by The Deuce on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 11:15 AM

Did Tilmon sign to play at Illinois? I had heard that he did. With their coach being fired they should release him from NLI. That opens the door for Mizzou and Martin. If he can land a few of those players they are certainly contenders in the SEC east (Not to the level of UK obviously but certainly not the door stop they have been).

Goodwin is def going to SLU from what I understand. He ended his season early to have shoulder surgery to be ready for SLU.

Is there any way he would recruit Fred Thatch away from SLU? Or has Thatch signed NLI

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 11:28 AM
  • Thatch isn't on that level.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 12:13 PM

Can't sign a NLI until senior year. Any scholarship offer/commitment is no binding until then. Big parties could back out

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 12:45 PM
  • Deuce. He didn't sign an NLI.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 1:14 PM
  • My mistake. I was thinking about his brother.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 1:34 PM
  • Wouldn't Washington have to release him?

-- Posted by crackerjack on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 2:15 PM

Their AD has already stated they will release the entire class from their NLI's. Urged them to wait for the replacement, but will release them if they so chose to leave

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 2:25 PM
  • @ozzyandharriet - You are right about McRae, but Martin did in fact recruit Josh Richardson to Tennessee. He was on him hard when he was at Missouri State, then was able to get him to sign at Tennessee after he took that job.

@IndianPride & crackerjack - Porter Sr has NOT YET been hired by Mizzou. There is STRONG indications that it will happen, but nothing has been signed yet. My guess is that everyone wants to wait until after Martin is introduced by the AD on Monday. The rumors out of Washington today are that they had planned to keep Romar, but then caught wind that Porter Sr was already talking to Martin about going with him to Mizzou and taking his sons.

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 3:28 PM

I feel bad for the kids, the Porter boys in particular. Their basketball skills are being used as bargaining chips to advance their father's career. They were perfectly fine here in Missouri, going to school with their friends. But Nooooo, Daddy wanted a job at Washington with his buddy and his buddy wanted the kids to play for him, so he moves them across the country. Now it looks like daddy is eyeballing a job at the ZOU w/ his other buddy, so he is going to pack up their stuff and move them back, where they should have stayed in the first place. JFC, think about the kids!

Sad!

-- Posted by secretagentman on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 5:22 PM
  • Kim Anderson offered Porter Sr. an assistant coaching job last year, but he turned it down and took the job at Washington instead. I'd bet that if the kids would have rather stayed in Columbia he would have taken the Mizzou job then.

-- Posted by Crash Davis on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 5:27 PM

$$$$

-- Posted by secretagentman on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 5:32 PM

My point is, he doesn't care about the kids. Why in the heck would the best player in the nation, one from Missouri of all places, go to college as Wash? Romar or whatever his name is knew his job depended on him getting the Porter clan to Washington... once talk of the Porter clan jumping ship, Wash dropped the hatchet.

$$$$$$

But that's all over now, maybe these kids can finally settle.

-- Posted by secretagentman on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 5:35 PM
  • Won't he be a 1 and done?

-- Posted by crackerjack on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 5:39 PM

One and done a quite possibly first pick. Next years draft is weak

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 6:08 PM
  • Not a fan of the one-and-done state we're in these days; yet, the top programs (Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kentucky, to name a few) have remained so by attracting players with that potential. Again, not my preference, but steadily becoming the trend. We might have to yield to that philosophy to get the top players from St. Louis, and Kansas City (Jayson Tatum, David Lee, etc.).

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 6:27 PM
  • I hope Marcus Lee follows coach Martin to mizzou... He was a McDonald's all American and went to Kentucky, he has one year of eligibility left

-- Posted by But on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 6:54 PM

Bradley Beal was one and done from STL and McLemore only played one year and was top 10 drafted. Anunoby will be one and done. The surrounding areas certainly have the talent, and Martin won't be afraid to recruit them to Mizzou (and Anderson was okay with that philosophy, he recruited a lot of one and done guys, just didn't get them)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 6:54 PM

I know this is an age old debate and I should probably start a thread since it's off topic, but who cares, I'll go for it anyway. NBA should take notes from MLB and let them declare out of high school again. I get why coaches chase one and done players, but that's an awful lot of resources to put into a guy who is going to attend class for one semester, pull a C average, and go MIA during spring classes.

-- Posted by secretagentman on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 7:10 PM
  • You're correct, secretagentman; therefore the oxymoron, "scholar-athlete!"

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 7:15 PM

You make a good point, and I agree I wish they could just go. If I'm great at baseball, golf, tennis, racing cars, etc I can go play my professional sport and give up my ameuter status. But there's WAAY to much money involved now. It's much more likely it goes to 2 years in college before it goes back to no college at all. The CBA and the players don't want high school kids coming in, and the colleges sure don't want them leaving with the cash they are racking in.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 7:20 PM

"But there's WAAY to much money involved now."

Which brings up the debate about paying college athletes...

I could probably do this all night... but I won't.

Back on topic - Martin hasn't exactly had a stable career... He's the Lane Kiffin of college basketball except everybody doesn't hate him. What I'm saying is he has bounced around a lot. But, I hope he does well and wish him and MIZZOU the best.

-- Posted by secretagentman on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 7:28 PM
  • The reason we ask kids to go to college is so they can get a good job and have a career. So if a high school senior is offered a contract to play in the NBA he's achieved already what the college education was suppose to provide for him. Let him go to the NBA make his millions. He can always go back to college at any time. By making the kid go 1 and done you add the risk of injury and lost career. Let him sign get his guaranteed money and if by chance an injury does happen at least he has that money and he can go back to school.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Fri, Mar 17, 2017, at 6:49 AM
  • I would like to see them have to stay 2 years. Letting them go right out of high school is alright for the few player who are actually ready for that level but there are way to many who go and are out of the league in a couple years and then you never here of them again.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Mar 17, 2017, at 7:36 AM
  • College bball isn't as interesting with one and dones. Even watching top teams is like "who are these guys".

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Fri, Mar 17, 2017, at 10:13 AM

As Crash stated, Mizzou has not hired Michael Porter, Sr. yet. It is considered likely, but Oklahoma has also discussed an assistant's role with Porter and is considered a factor. And one of Michael Porter Jr.'s best pals is OU 5-star guard commit, Trae Young.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 17, 2017, at 11:25 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: