Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Saxony vs Whitfield

Posted by sportsfreak on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 12:51 PM:

Should be a VERY good quarterfinal game, who you got? and why?

Replies (78)

• I'm going with Saxony by 8-10.

-- Posted by BleedRedBlack on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 1:27 PM

I say saxony will win by 7.

-- Posted by The WizKid on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 1:51 PM
  • I have Saxony by 10. I don't know much about Whitfield other than that they have a stud who is going high D1. However, Saxony has been playing extremely well as of late and that is credit to their lights out shooting from beyond the arc.If they can play a tough zone with quickness to cover most of the threes they will win. Bench defense will be huge and I think if players like Corie Williams and Keevin Dyke can play defense as well as they have shown they can, they should be able to come out with a W. Thoughts on that?

-- Posted by ballervision on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 2:25 PM

They are both private schools and a friend was telling me that Whitfield has been suspect to recruiting in the past from their success in multiple sports all in one year. Can anyone elaborate on that?

-- Posted by TheSpectator on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 2:41 PM
  • Whitfield beat Central with their B game. Saxony better be ready.

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 2:42 PM
  • I'm going to say Whitfield by 10+.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 3:21 PM
  • For those who haven't seen the "stud" from Whitfield play..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubKpdtvnLgg

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 3:22 PM
  • I think it'll be a good game but hard to have bias in this one. However I will say Saxony cannot think this is a cake walk or they will lose this game.

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 3:40 PM
  • Spectator,

Do you think Saxony doesn't recruit?

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 4:15 PM
  • Saxony wins this...

-- Posted by unfinishbusiness on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 5:37 PM
  • According to my STL area source, Whitfield has been out-recruiting John Burroughs and MI-Country Day in recent years.

-- Posted by hoopsguru on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 5:49 PM
  • @BonScott,

Just to let you know, I know Mark Ruark and Sam Sides both personally and have discussed the matter with them. They are both well-rounded, Christian men who have a desire to win. However, they have stressed to me and the people we were with that they did not recruit the people that came in. What actually happened was they all played on the same aau team and wanted to play school ball together. So, they chose saxony because it is a Christian school and their parents wanted them to get a good education which saxony clearly provides.

-- Posted by ballervision on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 6:02 PM
  • The average ACT score coming from Saxony is around a 26. Which is pretty impressive. Solid Education + Good Athletes = People want to go to school there.

-- Posted by Sport Observer on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 6:06 PM
  • Here's the thing with the whole private vs. public school.

1. Saxony and ND are winning programs. They have had plenty of success and so good players will naturally be attracted to successful programs. And yes, logically they're going to have more options because they are not confined to a specific school district. Tough crap, get over it.

2. Education and atmosphere puts it over the top for both the kids and parents, especially the parents. Parents, if they can afford it, because I know it's expensive, will want to put their kids often times in private school because they know they will be better educated.

-- Posted by SEMONole on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 6:34 PM
  • ballervision,

Thank you for speaking for TheSpectator. And what you just said is a load of crap...I actually don't care one way or the other because private AND public schools all recruit. The problem I have is with people who are in denial or make excuses about it.

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 7:00 PM
  • BonScott,

I think you saying I was speaking a load of crap just attests to your level of arrogance and immaturity. For some reason you have set your mind to the fact that all private schools are terrible (that's how you come off as, at least). The way you talk about high school kids makes you look like a bully and a fool, and everyone by you knows it. These are good athletes and students that are attracted to a Christian environment that has a good sports history and a great academic program. So, keep spewing the nonsense from your mouth and the boys will just ignore you because you're nothing to them.

-- Posted by ballervision on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 7:38 PM
  • I respect families who pay to send their children to private schools but I respectfully disagree they will receive a better education compared to the vast majority of public schools. It's the relegious training. Test scores are higher there because public schools can't be selective. Also, any parent who pays tuition is more likely to remain involved with student's academic progress.

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 7:44 PM
  • This isn't a public vs private debate so let's not make it one!

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 9:50 PM
  • Good Luck Saxony!!!

I have nothing to with them and normally root against them, but not at this time of year. Go all SEMO teams, public and private!

Bring the titles to SEMO!

-- Posted by insidescoop on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 10:56 PM

Amazing! A private school vs private school game turned into a private vs public debate. And I thought I'd seen it all..

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 10:58 PM
  • -- Posted by ballervision on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 7:38 PM

Thanks for the response ballervision. But the irony here is; my kids go to a private school.

You see, I'm a realist, and I understand that kids are influenced to go to certain schools(public or private)for various reasons(call it recruiting or something else)and that's fine. But don't put your head in the sand and think it doesn't happen...I personally hate it and think it should be addressed by MSHAA more than it is, but I don't make the rules. And don't sit here and act like Saxony doesn't influence kids to come to their school for athletic reasons, because they do.

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Mar 2, 2017, at 11:50 PM
  • Really have no clue what to expect in this one. Torrence Watson is a top 3 player in the state and can do it all. However, I don't know about the other 4 players around him, and even though star power can get you a long way you need a full team effort this time of year. If anyone has seen Whitfield play I'd love to know what you saw from them

I wish Saxony the best of luck and hope to see them punch their ticket to the Final 4!

-- Posted by semo501 on Fri, Mar 3, 2017, at 12:48 AM
  • Saxony was just the better team in this game .and yes they will beat Whitfield!!

-- Posted by kid rock on Fri, Mar 3, 2017, at 8:15 AM
  • I can tell you a little bit about Whitfield. I have seen both teams play this year (Saxony and Whitfield) and could care less who wins. Watson (#5) is an absolute stud. Hard to stop. He will be the best player on the floor. Saxony will have the next 3 best players on the floor, though. #35 for Whitfield can flat out shoot it. #0 inside is a nice post player. Very athletic. Whitfield plays really good defense. Saxony won't get the wide open looks they are used to getting. Should be a good game. I would rate it a toss up. Officiating will be key. If it is called closely, who is in foul trouble will be key. I don't think either team is real deep.

-- Posted by Only facts on Fri, Mar 3, 2017, at 8:57 AM
  • My heart is for Saxony, but I think Whitfield will win.

-- Posted by Mr. Baseball on Fri, Mar 3, 2017, at 9:22 AM
  • So one of your "keys to the game" is officiating? Hmm. Such an x factor.

-- Posted by PimpDaddyTaddy on Fri, Mar 3, 2017, at 9:25 AM
  • It is obvious if Watson or Rogers is in foul trouble that would be a "key" to the success or failure of either team. I can tell you the refs "let them play" up at Jefferson College on Wednesday (which I personally prefer) whereas from what I understand, a lot of fouls were called down at the Charleston-Saxony game. So yes, how closely a game is called can affect the outcome of the game, especially one that will be as close as this one will be.

-- Posted by Only facts on Fri, Mar 3, 2017, at 10:25 AM

semo501,Only facts gave you some good info on his brake down of these two teams i agree with him on Watson the best player on either team and Saxony having the next three best players i have seen both more than once imo Whitfield is quicker than saxony their little point guard is small but a big time player shoots well can blow by you and get to the rim Whitfield has pretty good size with three players but not as deep or as big and strong if i am Saxony i attempt to do to Whitfield what they did to Charleston get it in the half court and try to play over them Whitfield's guards are not as big as the big three guards for Saxony i play that zone until they can force me out of it if they can and it gets serious go man and start with the big Junior Williams on Watson if that isn't working because of speed or fouls i challenge Mr.Rodgers to guard Watson and tell him you have to shut him down or were going home!

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Mar 3, 2017, at 10:40 AM
  • Do you really think anybody on Saxony's team could guard him?? How many points for Watson, over or under 26?

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Fri, Mar 3, 2017, at 11:47 AM

HoopsObession,I don't know but we are about to find out!

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Mar 3, 2017, at 12:10 PM
  • Whitfield's boys win

Saxony's girls win because I like Coach Sides

-- Posted by heshootshescores on Fri, Mar 3, 2017, at 12:57 PM
  • There have been several instances where is was not absolutely imperative that a team stop a great player to win the game. Going back to 1988, all NMCC heard prior to the state final was how great "Anthony Peeler" (Mizzou, NBA) was and how important it was going to be, to shut him down. Peeler got "his points," yet, the Eagles won the championship!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Fri, Mar 3, 2017, at 3:41 PM

As far as Whitfield's girls, their record is a bit deceptive. All of their 7 losses were to Class 4 or Class 5 teams, including some very good ones. In fact, 20 of their 25 games before the district tournament were against Class 4 and Class 5 teams. They are athletic but young--may be a year away.

Watch out for Aijha Blackwell. She's definitely a D1 kid. Just a soph, she can get out of control and try to do too much sometimes, and she is susceptible to foul trouble. She's streaky from outside, but when she's on, shes a handful because of her size (listed at 6'0 and looks taller) and quick release. Very tough on the glass when she stays down there but likes to handle the ball and set up on the perimeter. Will attack the basket and will give you the opportunity to take some charges. Can touch the rim with a bit of a running start. Was gasping for air on the bench a couple times during the PHC game but came back in each time and played well.

They have a freshman named Jade Moore who is their best shooter. She's knocked down 73 3-pointers--around 44%--on the year. Likes to set up in the corner. She's small but strong and quick enough to get open.

5'9 Nia Griffin is very athletic. Defends, rebounds, and handles it pretty well but shoots pretty inconsistently.

The PG, Catalina Cuevas, has been effective the last two games I've seen. Was very strong against PHC. Can get the ball to the open player and knock down a shot or two from the top of the key if left unguarded but doesn't look for her shot much.

Their post players have not finished particularly well the last two games.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 3, 2017, at 4:17 PM

Boys game should be a dandy. My guess is that Saxony will take the cue from Sikeston and give Mr. Watson more attention than he wants. He's been contained a few times this year by teams with good quickness. Not sure if Saxony has the athletes or not, but it sounds as though they may.

Not sure what tempo Saxony prefers, but from what I've seen, you don't want Watson running up and down the court with his his buddies. You have a better shot containing him if you make him play in the half court. Caruthersville had success doing that in last year's quarterfinal loss.

I do think the shooter Only facts mentioned (Aurelio Stucco) could be key. He came up big early against PHC when Whitfield's other players seemed tentative. Hit 5 3s and missed just a couple. He's a spot-up guy, generally doesn't put the ball on the floor much. Was on the junior varsity earlier this season but has apparently come on the last several games. If he's hot again, he could be a zone buster if Saxony goes that route.

From what I gather, Saxony has some big, athletic guys. Whitfield is a good rebounding team. That should be a real battle.

Whitfield has been fairly strong with the ball the last couple of games, but they had some issues earlier this season with pressure.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Fri, Mar 3, 2017, at 11:50 PM

Is this game live streaming or what radio station is it on?

-- Posted by The WizKid on Sat, Mar 4, 2017, at 8:27 AM

Saxony Boys game will be on Hank 97.3. Saxony girls game will be on C106 106.1 as well as Hank 97.3.

-- Posted by cker23 on Sat, Mar 4, 2017, at 11:42 AM
  • Any updates on the girls game?

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sat, Mar 4, 2017, at 3:23 PM
  • Sikeston beat whitfield by 30

-- Posted by lastride67 on Sat, Mar 4, 2017, at 3:32 PM
  • So who won?

-- Posted by hoopaholiczanon on Sat, Mar 4, 2017, at 5:00 PM
  • Saxony girls and boys both got beat

-- Posted by lastride67 on Sat, Mar 4, 2017, at 5:36 PM
  • I'm assuming they lost since no one has posted anything. Whitfield probably out recruited them.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sat, Mar 4, 2017, at 5:54 PM
  • Saw on another post that Saxony coach got 2 techs. How embarrassing is thst for semo teams.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sat, Mar 4, 2017, at 6:03 PM
  • I'm not a basketball expert, but Whitfield pretty much "out-defended" Saxony, evidenced by the fact that Saxony only scored 47 points. I guess you could say they did to Saxony what Saxony did to Charleston. And I may be wrong as I was on the opposite end of the floor, but I only saw one technical foul. At this point in the game, both teams were in double bonus and Saxony fouled Whitfield. Apparently, a Saxony player said something the ref didn't like and was given the technical. So Whitfield shot 4 free throws - 2 for the actual foul and 2 for the technical. Again, I'm just a spectator and no expert, but that's what I saw.

-- Posted by countryfolks on Sat, Mar 4, 2017, at 6:21 PM
  • Crackerjack, it's not embarrassing considering the Saxony coach was not given a technical at all. The person who posted that must not know a lot of basketball. There was a foul called (while Whitfield was in the bonus) and then a player was given a technical, #10 I believe. There was four free throws because the Whitfield player made the front end of the 1 and 1. People should be held accountable, but at least know the facts before spreading rumors.

-- Posted by factchecker2016 on Sat, Mar 4, 2017, at 6:25 PM
  • Saxony was out of their league.

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Sat, Mar 4, 2017, at 6:37 PM
  • Figured they got destroyed since fhey weren't on here talking. You

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sat, Mar 4, 2017, at 6:47 PM
  • General consensus of the folks sitting around me is they will be very surprised if Whitfield doesn't win it all.

-- Posted by countryfolks on Sat, Mar 4, 2017, at 6:47 PM
  • I've always been pro Saxony, but I'll admit Whitfield is a good team and Watson is a great player and if they play how they did against Saxony, I believe they will win the whole thing. And most people don't like it, but they were smart to stall and not let Saxony have a chance to come back. Great season for Saxony and best of luck to Whitfield next weekend.

-- Posted by Polyatomic Hoops on Sat, Mar 4, 2017, at 6:53 PM

I think Only facts and porchswing offered some prescient pre-game comments. Facts said Saxony would have some issues with Whitfield's defense and porch mentioned how valuable Ramsey, the quick Whitfield PG, could be.

Whitfield's defense was a big story in the game and Ramsey was the tip of the spear.

Despite the final margin of victory, I thought there were a couple of times in the second half when Saxony was one 3-pointer away from making Whitfield pretty uncomfortable.

I think Whitfield has a shot in Columbia. But they do have depth concerns. And they will likely be facing quicker teams.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Sat, Mar 4, 2017, at 7:25 PM
  • Hey uncle!! What can you tell us about Jackson's next opponent Ft. Zumwalt West?

I always appreciate your insight!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Mar 4, 2017, at 7:45 PM

IP, I haven't seen them this season. I'll post links if I see something in the P-D in the next day or two. Here's an article from late February that has some info. Also talks about Hillsboro for folks interested in that game.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-school/boys-basketball/notebook-zumwalt-west...

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Sat, Mar 4, 2017, at 11:14 PM
  • Thank you!! I really appreciate it!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Mar 4, 2017, at 11:50 PM
  • Look IP we beat them by 20 so ya definitely have a chance since somehow, have no clue how, ya beat us. Lol

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Mar 5, 2017, at 6:44 AM
  • Haha!! Thanks TFA!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Mar 5, 2017, at 9:56 AM

I pose a question. Do you all think the Charleston game was Saxonys state championship? They were so worried ab them they had to have a let down game

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Sun, Mar 5, 2017, at 11:44 AM

Harry_Callahan,That's a interesting question and as I analyze it i come to the conclusion that the answer is no seeing how Whitfield has now earned a back to back trip over semo's big 3 in class 3 i believe that Watson is just a whole lot better than any player on those 3 there for they keep getting the ticket to the final four if they want to change that for next year they need to find away to get to that level because he is just a junior that's my opinion would love to here some others!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Mar 5, 2017, at 2:15 PM

I believe it was a combination of putting so much effort, focus, and intensity to beating Charleston because they were the main obstacle, that there was almost nowhere to go but down. Add to the fact that Whitfield is a really good, well coached team with an extreme talent in Watson.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Sun, Mar 5, 2017, at 4:25 PM
  • I can't imagine any team having a letdown in a game of this magnitude. I thought their quick start showed they were mentally ready. I think they couldn't match Winfield's talent, and not just one but at every position.

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Sun, Mar 5, 2017, at 7:56 PM
  • Torrence will probably play at Creighton. I can say their in the lead in getting him. They have been on him pretty hard.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Sun, Mar 5, 2017, at 10:13 PM
  • Watson was a monster, and I want to say he has not commited to anyone, my mistake... I misunderstood their coach. They played lights out and threw in everything, and we struggled after a quick start. But like many comments have mentioned, they either were better, or played better at the some key positions. With that being said we had plenty of chances to make it interesting but the ball didn't fall our way, and that definetely wasn't the case for them. Everything they threw up went down. It has been a fun ride these past 2 years, and I wish Whitfield luck the rest of the way.......Oh, and 1 last point. I read someone comment about me getting T'd up. Didn't happen. Ruark was given a T and it occurred after a foul was called resulting in free-throws, plus the tech, plus the ball.....I have not had a T in 2 years at Saxony, just for those that love to bash. I welcome BBQ season with open arms!

-- Posted by Kdub102002 on Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 7:50 AM
  • @kdub102002 much respect for what you have done with that program my brother. We definitely need to schedule a home and away the next two years. Lets get it done. We miss you up here brother. Good run this season.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 8:15 AM

Congrats Coach on a great year. No reason for doubt or reason to be ashamed. You kids played their hearts out, but unfortunately, it just wasn't enough.

If he could get to WVU he would be with one of the nation's best coaches

-- Posted by Kool-Aid (OH YEAHHH) on Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 8:15 AM
  • CHS2MRH, I forgot to ask you when I saw you in Charleston how your son was doing and if he is still playing ball somewhere. It was good to see you and good luck with USA basketball

-- Posted by runner50 on Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 8:33 AM
  • KDubb great season those guys have nothing to be ashamed of. they won every tournament this season expect the State and we both no that's the hardest one to get to and make it out of. great run now let's get back to work. time to get better

-- Posted by unfinishbusiness on Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 8:51 AM
  • Why do coaches come on here and try to defend something that doesn't need to be defended?...It's concerning to me when people in certain positions seek out attention...Win with humility and lose with humility.

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 9:41 AM
  • This is honestly the only time that I have found myself not wanting a SEMO team to win at this stage in the season. Normally, I always root for whatever SEMO team makes it this far. However, I have never seen a team with a coach and fans that were so full of themselves all season long. There are programs that win and conduct themselves the right way, and there are some who don't. It is easy to root against the ladder.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 11:30 AM
  • latter**

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 11:32 AM

^^^^ Throwing Daggers

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 11:40 AM

Then, there are those who got their feelings hurt at one time and now wants to make it like Saxony is the issue! Maybe we should ensure that you have a safe space to work and be happy!

-- Posted by Kool-Aid (OH YEAHHH) on Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 11:42 AM
  • @runner50 He is no longer playing ball. Decided to take a different path and that is fine by me as long as he is choosing a successful one.lol. Thank you for the well wishes. Looking forward to USA this summer.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 12:04 PM
  • Say what you want, "feelings were never hurt". I am just an old school fan who has watched many good teams play in this SEMO area over the last 15 years. And Saxony is definitely one of those good teams, I'll admit.

I've just noticed all of the self inflating chatter on here from Saxony fans. The way they were talking, I wouldn't have been surprised if they thought their team could beat the North Carolina Tarheels. Get over yourselves. It is one thing to be confident (which I always encourage), but it is another to be so unrealistic to the point where you're not "acting like you've been there before". Bottom-line, I think many SEMO fans will agree with me on this, Saxony fans were just flat-out annoying this season.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 12:06 PM
  • They gave an underwhelming performance Saturday, the first time I've seen them play. Maybe they just had a bad day but their skill level appeared suspect to me.

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 2:16 PM
  • must have had a bad day, because if not I guess that Charleston's talent level is further down. the sectional game was never really in doubt, doesn't sound like the quarterfinal really was either. I think the only time Saxony trailed against Charleston was something like 5-3. After that Charleston was playing catch up all night.

-- Posted by dexterdoesitall on Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 2:23 PM
  • I saw Whitfield play last year and the thing that struck me is in our area we give private schools a tough time and their tuition is like 5 to 6 thousand per year but schools like Whitfield with 25,000 per year tuition are the private schools who are dominating.

-- Posted by dexterdoesitall on Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 2:26 PM
  • I wouldn't say Whitfield is dominating.

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 3:16 PM
  • it definitely wasn't your typical Chaminade or MICDS or Burroughs crowd, there crowd had a different type of make up and behavior. It was Very interesting

-- Posted by dexterdoesitall on Mon, Mar 6, 2017, at 3:39 PM
  • Are private schools allowed to write off tuition for players? Just wondering.

-- Posted by BIGfan46 on Tue, Mar 7, 2017, at 9:36 PM
  • They can accept or reject whomever they feel.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Mar 7, 2017, at 10:15 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: