Steve Kerr's assessment of AAU basketball

Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 10:17 AM:

The Golden State Warriors head coach, Steve Kerr, has an interesting perspective on the state of young basketball players...

"Even if today's players are incredibly gifted, they grow up in a basketball environment that can only be called counterproductive. AAU basketball has replaced high school ball as the dominant form of development in the teen years. I coached my son's AAU team for three years; it's a genuinely weird subculture. Like everywhere else, you have good coaches and bad coaches, or strong programs and weak ones, but what troubled me was how much winning is devalued in the AAU structure. Teams play game after game after game, sometimes winning or losing four times in one day. Very rarely do teams ever hold a practice. Some programs fly in top players from out of state for a single weekend to join their team. Certain players play for one team in the morning and another one in the afternoon. If mom and dad aren't happy with their son's playing time, they switch club teams and stick him on a different one the following week. The process of growing as a team basketball player -- learning how to become part of a whole, how to fit into something bigger than oneself -- becomes completely lost within the AAU fabric."

I think he is spot on, but that is just me.....

Replies (82)

The money from the shoe companies is the reason it's happening. Like he said, winning is devalued on the AAU circuit (which is true to an extent), so they aren't flying in Lebron James from Ohio to play for the Oakland Soldiers for more wins, they want bigger sponsorships. And let me tell you, if you follow any of these top programs and players on something like twitter during the summer, they are raking in the free stuff. They will take pictures of their beds in the hotel room of the stuff that has been laid out for them, and it is quite incredible. 3 or 4 pairs of shoes (limited edition very expensive shoes), hats, hoodies, pants, you name it. Now this is the big circuits I'm referring too, but I'm sure that's what Steve was referring too as well. Doubt his son is playing on some tiny underfunded team.

But I will say I don't completely agree with what he has to say and I think he's painting with a pretty broad brush, which you could do for any kind of sport.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 10:31 AM

And this is a pretty polarizing subject. You can find just as many NBA associated people who love it. Chris Paul has a great team, the St. Louis Eagles are now the Bradley Beal Elite, John Wall has a great team, Penny Hardaway's team has been at the tippy top here lately, Stoudemire has a consistently good team.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 10:39 AM
  • I think he's spot on and I've been telling people basically the same thing for years. And I also believe most coaches in college and the NBA would agree with him...It effects the whole fabric of basketball in a negative way. It has cheapened the competition level so bad, sometimes it's hard to watch. Everybody is buddy buddy with each other and I don't think that's a good thing in sports.

Buck, why do you think those players you mention have those teams?

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 11:20 AM
  • I would blame a lot this on Sonny Vaccaro, and it was all in the name of $$$$!

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 11:23 AM
  • I think it's about two things...making money (not for the kids, but the adults) off kids and, two, the "handlers" getting the kids early so they can be around in case the kid makes it big. In my opinion...

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 11:38 AM
  • Agree Rocket...That's where you can plug in Sonny Vaccaro.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 11:43 AM
  • Yep. He started it all many years ago.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 11:44 AM

Sonny definitely played a big part in it and the culture he created has turned out a BUNCH more operating just as he did.

As far as the players, it's probably a few reasons. I know Beal really felt the Eagles helped him out and he gives them a lot of credit. Here's a quote I read from article when he took over a month or so ago

'Beal credits the organization for helping him mature as a player and young adult, and attributes the life-long bond he has with former teammates to the program’s emphasis on hard work and accountability. He also praises the Eagles for affording him the opportunity to travel across the country to compete against some of the nation’s finest players.

“The collaboration was symbolic because the Eagles were an important part of my success and helped me become who I am today. The Eagles have always been like a family and I am excited to elevate basketball in my hometown,” Beal notes.'

A bunch do it to help give back to kids. Several of the younger guys have gone and taken over the team they played for, while some like Lebron have started their own to give back to kids.

It's also good PR if you get right down to it. These big money teams do complete quite a bit of charity work. Not that the NBA sponsor isn't a charitable guy, but it's definitely gonna make them look better in the community.

I don't think money plays a big role in this particular aspect. The NBA guys aren't really making much money off the team to my opinion. Now there is still the shoe aspect. Chris Paul's CP3 Elite is a Jordan Team just like he is sponsored by. You could make an argument that the shoe company is influencing him to sponsor a team so that they in turn get another shoe team. But I haven't studied that angle a lot. And some of the guys like John Wall wears all kinds of different shoes but his team is Addidas sponsored and he doesn't wear Addidas anymore

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 11:47 AM

And to add to the handler aspect which I agree with, but it there's also an over arching handler aspect. Where the handler might not be over one kid, but be a handler for one school. You can not convince me Addidas sponsored teams are not influenced to send their kids to UCLA, Kansas, etc. And some AAU coaches have admitted to taking more money to try and influence kids to Kansas (look up Ben McLemore)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 11:50 AM
  • If you forget about the St. Louis Eagles type teams that are loaded with can't miss D I players, and look at what these local summer programs have done for many HS players, then I see these summer all star teams as a huge benefit. I am talking about the summer all star teams that maybe play in ST. Louis, KC, or Springfield and not travelling all over the country receiving gifts from shoe companies. I am referring to teams that are made up of the best players in a limited area, such as SEMO, that play in maybe a half dozen weekend events in the spring and summer. I have seen these all stars teams for girls put together in the past 8-10 years that has done wonders for some girls. They get to play with a team full of girls that know how to play basketball, often for the first time in their life, and it is a totally different game for them to be surrounded by players where everybody can shoot and handle the ball. Locally, these are the types of teams that are doing our kids a lot of good. Especially with girls, you better hope you have a couple girls on your team that are playing all star travel ball in the spring and summer if you want to be competitive. It definitely makes them better.

Now these national travelling teams are a different matter. That's all about the money. Shoe companies kiss their behinds knowing that many of them will end up on TV wearing their products. That's totally different than getting a couple of the best kids from Ste. Gen., Park Hills, Farmington, and North County, and playing in about 6 weekend tournaments at their own expense.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 11:50 AM
  • I get it at the junior/senior level to a certain degree. But when they start ranking kids in 2nd grade who can't even tie their **** shoes, that's when society has jumped the shark.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 11:51 AM

I agree Bogey

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 11:52 AM
  • Bogey, if that's all the games they're playing, then I might not have problem with that. But I don't believe it is. I don't think players get better by playing a hundred games a summer...For Gods sake, they have already started baseball practice in my area for THIRD GRADERS! 👎🏿

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 11:57 AM
  • Sonny Vaccaro freely admits today that he created an uncontrollable monster. AAU at the local level isn't that big of a deal for older kids. AAU at the national level is all to often a cesspool of users and leeches trying to make a buck off of the next up and coming star. Now this doesn't mean that AAU has no value at all. But it's probably hurt more kids then it's helped over the long haul.

Ranking junior high kids on a national level can be counter productive.

Ranking elementary aged kids on a national level is JUST PLAIN STUPID!

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 12:22 PM
  • The national level is a totally different animal. But at the local and regional level I don't think many of the kids get much better from all the traveling around and playing 6-8 games in a weekend. If they'd spend that time working on their individual skills like shooting, ball handling, and strength and quickness I think they'd improve quite a bit more.

-- Posted by oldroundballer on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 1:18 PM
  • Agreed 100%, oldroundballer. When I stated that the local level was okay, I was referring to the lack of corruption around here at local levels. In my opinion, your last sentence says it all.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 1:57 PM
  • Agree with your point on working on individual skills, but in case you haven't noticed, kids today have to have everything organized for them by adults. Kids aren't going to get out on the playground or driveway by themselves to work on skills, at least at most places. Maybe kids do in Charleston, Sikeston, and Morley. But for most kids, that would be too much like work!!! And that's why you don't see many great shooters anymore. Kids aren't going to spend 1-2 hours a day by themselves shooting.

I think that's what makes the Otto Jr story so great by him not playing the AAU circuit. Of course, he had dad and plenty of adult cousins and others who schooled him. John Thompson, Jr. said that Otto stepped on the court at Georgetown as a freshman more skilled at all facets of the game than any freshman he had ever seen. I'm sure Otto spend many of hours by himself shooting besides all the pick up games around home.

Otto Sr. knew what he was doing in spite of all the conventional wisdom about getting national exposure thru AAU.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 2:09 PM

The adults are the ones making kids the way they are. Otto's dad is the perfect example, he had excellent parenting. That's the real problem not the kids. They are products of their environment.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 2:47 PM

And I'm not really aiming that at you Bogey haha. I just get tired of all the "millennial participation trophy/work ethic" talk when it was the parents that were handing out the trophies in the firs place. I agree with you the kids don't, but I think it's the parents fault for not instilling that in them.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 2:49 PM
  • Or is it the parents fault for creating travel/select teams at the ago of 6?...Bogey, you just made a great pitch on why AAU/travel/select is not such a great thing.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 3:29 PM

Well I don't know if they created them, and some do on the much smaller local settings. But I do think it's their fault thinking little Jimmy has to participate in that, unlike Mr. Porter thought.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 3:43 PM
  • Is it possible that some of these AAU teams are using this as an avenue to lure kids from their school team to another school? Their have been a couple questionable move-ins to where one AAU team is based out of. Is it quite possible that this was influenced a little and they are using their AAU to recruit these kids to move there? Particularly when one of these star players is said to be living with his AAU coach?

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 4:02 PM

'Me personally I DEFINITELY think that could be/and is happening Barkley. Heck there was one recruit this past year who did a whole announcement just to announce he was staying at his public high school. And a little bit different angle is these new (and older) prep schools are recruiting kids right along with college coaches at AAU events. So I think there's some AAU coach/Prep school coach buddy Buddy relationships where a AAU coach tries to steer a kid toward a prep school that is recruiting them, even if it's not in the area where the AAU team is located. Then we have a whole new world where kids are announcing to go to "Putnam Science Academy" or "Our Saviour New America" or "Prolific Prep" high schools

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 4:16 PM
  • -- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 3:43 PM

Buck, you are correct. And I'm fortunate enough to know the do's and don'ts as well. But the average Joe Smo doesn't. And then they get sold a bill of goods that little Jimmy is going to be a star and get a college scholarship. When in reality, that's not true. There lies the problem. So many families are duped into something they don't have a clue about, but it sure does sound good. Please make that check out to....

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 4:22 PM

Oh yeah. Lotta make that check out to stuff. And these folks, the crooked ones, are extremely good at selling a bill of goods.

And for many of these kids, it's a very attractive offer sheet. I like to collect shoes myself. And every summer I can get 4 or 5 pairs of specially created AAU shoes for free? And piles of free clothing. Sign me up! I can see where it would be an easy sell.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 4:46 PM
  • Many of the negative comments regarding AAU teams, etc. are spot on. Likewise, I think the same argument applies in many instances at the high school level. This occurs when coaches steer athletes to "one" sport early on, assuring them "that's" the sport where their future lies. Yet there are so many instances where athletes often later discover another sport winds up actually being their best shot at advancing to the next level.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 6:48 PM
  • The next level is for 2% of the athletes....That's even more of a reason to be well rounded and participate in multiple sports.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 7:03 PM
  • Agree Bon, semo. Kids feed off parents and coaches inflating their talents. Most people (and some on here) don't have a clue how athletic DI basketball players really are - a whole lot of God given ability.

Agree big time travel all star teams travelling the country are a sham. It's a showcase at that level.Hundreds of dollars of shoes and sportwear should disqualify the players amateur status.

Stand by my opinion that the local area select teams for 7-12 grades that pay to play a 6-8 spring and summer tournaments in regional cities like St. Louis or Columbia does wonders for some players confidence. For many, it is the first time they are on the court surrounded with talent and they see it is a different game when all your teammates can pass, dribble, and shoot. If they can hold their own, they become more confident and poise. Let's not forget our middle school kids are only playing 10 games/2 tournament or 12 games/1 tournament. That's not enough game experience. BTW - MO middle schools play less games than any surrounding states. Illinois middle schools play a 22 game schedule (any combination)before DISTRICTS and STATE CHAMPIONSHIP. We're starting out our kids at a disadvantage unless they get some games on select teams. MSHSAA (members) needs to update the same rules we have had for 50 years.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 7:44 PM
  • Great point, barkley. That definitely seems to be happening...

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Jan 18, 2017, at 11:22 AM
  • Is it happening locally Rocket?

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Jan 18, 2017, at 1:21 PM
  • I don't know what you mean by "local," but if you mean southeast Missouri, I would say there are rumors of it around here. Where there's smoke there's fire...

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Jan 18, 2017, at 1:27 PM
  • Please watch the documentary "At all costs", gives great insight into a very shady world! The landscape of basketball has changed. AAU is running the show now, and people have to make choices for what's best for them. My personal experience in SEMO basketball, I recruited and enrolled in 4 different high schools from 95-97. First it was Portageville, then SCC, then Sikeston with Corie Gipson. When someone blew the whistle on me, I went and recruited players to come play with me at a 1A school because beating SCC after districts wasn't happening unless we could match up. My father was pimping me out to high schools for his gain, but I had to get to a larger school to improve my chances of college scholarships and getting out of the bootheel. I never played aau, but I hooped at every street court there was in southeast mo and I recruited other players or I tried to get to a bigger school. I was able to do this without aau or losing any eligibility. I had to improve visibility, cause putting up 50+ pts against the likes of Cooter, Campbell, etc. wasn't enough. Semo teams have been recruiting since early 90's and it won't change. Last time I checked, no scouts are coming to a game where team A gets a 4pt lead and goes into a stall offense for 3 quarters...

-- Posted by ldizzie34 on Wed, Jan 18, 2017, at 1:57 PM
  • I honestly think you are fool of baloney ldizzie34........................

-- Posted by Hemingway on Wed, Jan 18, 2017, at 2:00 PM
  • @Hemingway, unlike most I have no problem letting folks know who I am and my story. After all, I was top 3 scorer in state of Missouri from sophomore to a senior. Multiple all states, and all the other non-sense accolades. Im pretty sure their are quite a few people who can validate it for you. From Bidwell to Cookson, etc. in 97' Hayti won conference, their pg was my cousin who moved from Denver his senior year to play with me. Corey Gipson and I hooped together the summer of 96' when he moved from SCC to Sikeston. No need to mislead you buddy.

-- Posted by ldizzie34 on Wed, Jan 18, 2017, at 2:36 PM

Your father was a terrible pimp

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jan 18, 2017, at 2:36 PM
  • Well you haven't told us your name yet, have you? Don't remember any studs that transferred to 3 different schools and had success at each one............................

And btw I didn't know Mr. Gipson had ever attended Sikeston, you sure about that?

-- Posted by Hemingway on Wed, Jan 18, 2017, at 2:39 PM
  • I was thinking the same thing Hemingway. I smell a rat! :)

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, Jan 18, 2017, at 2:48 PM
  • You never asked. Lemi Williams. Yes he was their briefly before Richland. I never got to play at the schools due to the initial school I was transferring from North Pemiscot, threatened to blow the whistle. Plus one of the board members at North Pemiscot, owned the house I grew up in, that was the biggest roadblocks. So my dad miraculously had a house in Haywood City, when that fell through, one of the most prominent families in Sikeston offered room and board and my dad was willing to sign over guardianship. Well, a certain landlord was going to take the home my mom was living in if I went through and would report me to mshaa. So losing my mom's home, my eligibility, and getting another school involved was too much to bear. So I bit the bullet and continued to terrorize every school I played against! Now is this enough detail for you...lol. I'm pretty sure there isn't a player in the bootheel that don't remember what I did to them during that time, best part was from courts at Sunset, school road, knott's landing, caruthersville civic center, and courts in Kennett, we always played against each other. This was my aau. Hell, I even recruited Brandi "Bambi" Jackson to come play at North Pem. My cousins the Morris twins from Delta C-7, I tried to get them. Now you have enough info!

-- Posted by ldizzie34 on Wed, Jan 18, 2017, at 2:59 PM
  • I remember a Lemi Williams but can't imagine why he would come on here spewing all of this nonsense. I smell a rat also BonScott! No way this is who he says he is.

-- Posted by Hemingway on Wed, Jan 18, 2017, at 7:28 PM
  • I am with oldroundballer...aau doesn't make them better.

If you are interested in a very good book on the aau basketball go read "Play Their Hearts Out"....a great read and you will learn a bunch about the jokers who are too often involved in aau.

-- Posted by BTIndians on Wed, Jan 18, 2017, at 10:24 PM
  • Wow BuckMajor! I am really impressed by your knowledge of Club Basketball! You seem to understand the good and bad of this process! Hope to meet you sometime along the grind!

-- Posted by Soloflex on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 2:09 AM
  • i believe it's Lemi Williams cause I see him at a lot of the Saxony games watching his two nephews play, the Williams brothers! I also think he coaches AAU, but idk I could be wrong on that part! But it's no rat, it's him FOREAL!!

-- Posted by Quitmakingexcuses on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 6:37 AM
  • 99.99% of HS players are never going to get the chance to play on Bradley Beal type AAU teams. I still maintain that the localized AAU travel teams that play 25-30 games on area all star teams is a good thing for the top players in the area.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 6:49 AM
  • I'm not sure if ldizzle is really Lemi, or not. But Lemi was kind of a poor mans Otto, way before Otto. No AAU but ended up doing really well. Didn't Lemi end up at Long Beach State after 3 Rivers. He was quite a player back at North Pem. I guess Lemi's older brother is Charles? He was a good play at North Pem in the late 80's. North Pem used to have some players.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 8:57 AM
  • Charles and Lemi both played at Mineral Area College before moving on to D1...I'm really hoping that's not Lemi posting. It's not real good to toot your own horn.

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 9:46 AM
  • Where did Charles go after MAC?

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 9:54 AM
  • Texas Pan-American I believe.

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 9:58 AM

Wow.If this poster is really Lemi i believe everything you have posted Haywood city kind of makes me think it is I have one question for you i hear you have a really good young player what are you going to do with him after all of your experiences!

-- Posted by porchswing on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 10:21 AM
  • I keep hearing one of the SEMO Conference teams is using a local aau team to recruit players to their school. They already have gotten a few players to move there and supposedly worked on some kids from Sikeston. The latest is they are working on a kid from Mississippi County (not Charleston).

-- Posted by T-Roll on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 11:05 AM
  • T-Roll, there is no way that's possible. Because parents at public schools say only private schools recruit. And the parents at private schools say they don't recruit for athletic purposes. So it has to be just a rumor...😉

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 11:23 AM
  • Let me put this to bed! I am who I say I am! I have absolutely nothing to hide or feel bad about. We're talking about 20 years ago, so if it was happening then, what do you think is happening now. As for tooting a horn, you may call it that, but I was asked for details and I gave them. I could have name dropped, but that would be bad for business. You can focus on that, or you can hear what I'm saying. I'm deeply entrenched in the aau ball and high school ball. These kids will have numerous people in their ear all for the wrong reason, then 4 years later they are back in the southeast mo reminiscing. The decisions I made, the attempts to improve my opportunities was for me to have a better life! So I will never knock a kid for going to a different school to get more exposure, to increase opportunities and get out of a limiting situation. As for my son, he understands that as long as he keeps working hard, staying true, and want to succeed more than he wants to breathe, then I will do my part and get him were he needs to be! I'm not committed to any high school until that time comes, you better believe he will be where he needs to be! We will use sports to create opportunities. Now as for anyone on here acting surprised or saying they don't believe it happens, be careful is all I say! Don't be a hypocrite, cause I know and some folks "slips are showing"

-- Posted by ldizzie34 on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 11:48 AM
  • Some things are better left unsaid...

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 1:06 PM
  • Or better yet, some things are better said behind a "screen name"...food for thought, you do the dishes!

-- Posted by ldizzie34 on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 1:31 PM

ldizzie34,Thanks for telling your story i for one believe you and good luck to your son!

-- Posted by porchswing on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 1:36 PM
  • I agree with most of you on here about aau basketball. I also believe that it can be a great thing for your child. My daughter has played travel ball for about 7 years and she loves it. She loves the game and competition. We have traveled everywhere letting her do what she loves. We live in a small school district that will not get her much recognition to go to the next level. But playing aau ball and traveling to these places has gotten her great exposure and several college interests. We arent on a team that is getting things given to them. We are just a team made up of area talent from different schools. I think the level of competition they get to experience in some of the tournamemts is great for them. But I also feel that the talent comes from the dedication and committment from the kids. They have to be willing to put in the work if they want to get to the next level.I know that not all kids will get to the next level no matter how many games they play but it may give someone that doesnt have a name or money a chance to reach their dreams.

-- Posted by Ballermom10 on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 2:00 PM

Excellent points ballermom. Those are the things I like about AAU. And I might be in the minority but I think their are some big time AAU teams who strive to do that too, but the bad ones certainly give it a bad name.

Thank you Soloflex. We will have to meet up and talk basketball at a game sometime.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 2:58 PM
  • Lemi is right it's happening right now. If you don't believe it, you have your head in the sand.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 3:19 PM
  • Ballermom, I commend you for recognizing that opportunities are limited to your area, but you as any parent "should", you want to help your kid realize her dream. So you found a way. I get that it may bother some people that things like recruiting in high school upsets people, but sports imitate life. If you are the best at your job, but you are underpaid and overworked, will you sit back and complain, or will you look for other opportunities to improve your situation and therefore maximizing your value. It's the same with sports, there is some parent in Hayti, Mo. right now that has a kid who is a "stud" but you know momma can't help him with his dream because she's too busy trying to work 2 jobs to keep him fed, pay the bills, etc. She can't afford to drive him back and forth to games, practices, etc. So what do you recommend? College is not even an option, so what happens now, the dope boys take interest in little johnny. They are buying him shoes and taking him to the gym. Next thing you know, lil johnny caught up in a mess. Please tell me you wouldn't now?

-- Posted by ldizzie34 on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 4:01 PM
  • You can't even do that crap in college. Why should a high school kid be allowed to do it?

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 4:05 PM
  • BonScott, college is the goal right? If my kid wants to be an astronaut, it's my job to do everything I can to help him achieve his dream! Now a few questions for you:

1. Did you play college ball?

2. If a non-athlete student want to switch colleges for whatever reason, do they have to sit out a year of school?

Albeit, #1 is irrelevant and #2 is rhetorical, one must ask why?

-- Posted by ldizzie34 on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 4:38 PM
  • You can switch Colleges if you want.. I believe if you are switching from the same division, like D1 to another D1 you have to sit out a year. But it happens, maybe not as much as high school, but it happens.. If I have hopes of playing ball after college and I dedicate my life to become better but my coach never plays me for some reason then my chances of going to play after college is not as good!! You have to do what you have to do to follow your dreams.. just because you don't agree with it Bonscott doesn't mean it's not right. Just because switch schools tho doesn't mean they were recruited tho either. There could be many reasons why they switched schools, I don't believe that is anyone's business, but their own. And if they can afford to move or pay to go to private, well good for them!! But that is all my opinion. People can pout and complain all they want. They are just mad their little boy or girl lost to another school that had someone good move in...maybe your little boy or girl should work harder!! The reason that other kid is better is because I'm sure they worked their butt off to get there.

-- Posted by Quitmakingexcuses on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 5:35 PM
  • Lemi, your questions are irrelevant. And I'm losing respect for you as you type. Tell you sister-in-law "quitmakingexcuses" to quit digging a hole. You guys sound desperate.

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 6:18 PM
  • Just like everything else you put on here, YOU ARE WRONG. Not even the right sex. And yes, how desperate it is of me to make a comment about how people can switch schools or colleges if they want. That is something everyone should know if they know anything at all about sports or works in the school system. Not my fault you don't agree with the way it has pretty much always been.

-- Posted by Quitmakingexcuses on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 6:58 PM
  • Because they can't. You can keep preaching it, but they still can't do it. MSHAA has a problem on their hands and they better address it.

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 7:06 PM
  • If a kid is truly a stud college will always be an option so long as the kid takes care of his responsibilities as a student and citizen, no matter where the kid comes from.

This whole "'follow your dreams"'mantra can be misleading. Of course, many kids who have dreams to play big time college sports are able to realize those dreams. But how many times has a kid been crippled because of a clueless parent? If a coach isn't playing a particular kid it's because the kid playing isn't best for the team. Just because mommy and daddy move a kid from one school to another doesn't mean that mommy and daddy know what's best for their child athletically.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 9:09 PM
  • ...or socially Oz.

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 9:19 PM
  • Just curious Lemi, did you get your degree and what do you do now? Because isn't that more important than how you played the system in high school to achieve your goal of playing college basketball. It comes down to one question; did you use basketball or did basketball use you?

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 10:23 PM
  • @bogeyman, I finished with 2 degrees and now I run my own business. I took full advantage of every opportunity basketball gave me and then some! Now, I'll attempt to to be pleasant in my reply to Bonscot. It's okay if you don't agree with my life decisions, my perspective, etc. Heck it's okay for you not to respect me either, that's the beauty of me not knowing you personally. Your opinions will not pay my bills, feed my family, or make one bit of difference in my life. Would I like to meet you in person, sure, I appreciate civil disagreement. Maybe your life experience has you feeling the way you do, but you have to live your life. I have conversations with plenty of people who have differing viewpoints all the time and always I have learned something new. I'll be in Cape Friday, let's grab some coffee or a bite to, or not.

Ozzy, I encourage my kids to dream big and aim high. Then I educate them of the price and sacrifice that is required. My kids identity will NEVER be defined by a sport. However, they know how to use every resource at their disposal to create opportunities.

-- Posted by ldizzie34 on Thu, Jan 19, 2017, at 11:22 PM
  • The difference between Lemi and 99.9% of other smacks on this board is he actually played at a high level and has a unique perspective which I enjoy hearing. His experiences are legit, vs a typical lead belt guy who is hard to even stand in the same room with.

-- Posted by Coachken on Fri, Jan 20, 2017, at 5:11 AM
  • Congratulations Lemi. Awesome life story. What happens after the glory days is much more important in life. I'm glad you were able to use basketball to get to your good place in your life. You could be a motivational speaker at high schools, although I don't think many coaches would want necessarily like the idea of swithching high schools, but you did what you had to do, and I have no problem with that.

A former Cardinal

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Fri, Jan 20, 2017, at 6:29 AM
  • Stay classy Coachken...I hope you don't get a "sneezer" the next time you order food in Flat River.

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Jan 20, 2017, at 6:40 AM
  • Im pretty sure I wont have to be ordering anything in Flat River in the next few years.....classy? Coming from you or Boogin is amusing.

-- Posted by Coachken on Fri, Jan 20, 2017, at 7:14 AM
  • Thank you, but I don't think I've thrown 30,000 people under the bus yet.

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Jan 20, 2017, at 7:18 AM
  • As adults/parents/educators/members of law enforcement/etc... All we can do is hope that parents/adults are leading their/our kids in a positive direction. Talk on Semoball proves nothing, one way or the other. I could be full of crap. Everyone else could be full of crap. Because it always comes down to our actions and not words. My experience(no sense in talking about what i've done, because you'll have no proof and at the end of the day it means nothing to you anyway)is that the proof will always be in the pudding. Playing athletics at a high level doesn't guarantee anything. On the flip side, being a parent that never played sports doesn't mean you can't direct your kids properly. If kids are raised right and do things the right way and for the right reasons, that will show itself over the course of time. And that will be a reflection of their upbringing in most cases.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Jan 20, 2017, at 9:00 AM
  • Thx coach and bogey! Now let's bring this full circle. Aau ball and school ball both has its advantages. Kids need to understand that neither matters if you do not eat, sleep, or breathe hard work. Parents need to let kids handle adversity and remove any sense of entitlement from all aspects of their life.

@BonScott, did you really just imply purposely contaminating someone's food? We have to be better than that, if adults can't respectfully disagree, how can we expect kids to do so?

Anyways MAC vs. Moberly Saturday night. 5th rank vs 6th rank both undefeated, come out folks and catch an amazing game. Bring your kids aspiring to play ball in college, gonna be classic!!!

-- Posted by ldizzie34 on Fri, Jan 20, 2017, at 9:05 AM
  • No I didn't Lemi. But Coachken made fun of you, your family, and the people you hang out with in the "lead belt".

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Jan 20, 2017, at 9:12 AM
  • It's fine, I'm never easily offended and I got love for my "leadbelt" family. They've been nothing short of awesome to me and my family.

-- Posted by ldizzie34 on Fri, Jan 20, 2017, at 9:27 AM
  • You didn't? What exactly is a "sneezer"

And lets be accurate, Lemi is not from the Leadbelt. Your "sneezer" comments pretty much proves my point

-- Posted by Coachken on Fri, Jan 20, 2017, at 10:48 AM
  • Well, he lives there now...Go watch Friends if you want to know what a "sneezer" is....And do you really have a point?

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Jan 20, 2017, at 11:05 AM
  • Flat River beat Farmtown last night I believe Bon....NC should be turning Flat River in shortly for something now.

-- Posted by Coachken on Fri, Jan 20, 2017, at 12:22 PM
  • just whot u talkinn bout Couchken? whare is fat river at Bucko? i now wha famington is ands my bother lives there bub. ldiddy34 i seent u pay whun u was in high schhhsool Bucko. u was tall if i member rite was u not Bucko? u play at nortth pemiscoot and u wass dunk the ball bub.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Fri, Jan 20, 2017, at 12:25 PM
  • Did the Bearcat SERIOUSLY shut this thread down??!! LOL fat river, LMAO

-- Posted by Hemingway on Sat, Jan 21, 2017, at 8:06 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: