Saxony vs. Jackson

Posted by RememberTheChunk on Fri, Jan 6, 2017, at 9:40 AM:

I know that they do not play against each other, but i would like to hear what everybody has to say about who would win a Saxony vs Jackson boys basketball match-up. I have asked many people and have heard mixed answers, so lets hear what y'all think.

Replies

• Jackson would win by a landslide.

-- Posted by sportdoctor on Fri, Jan 6, 2017, at 10:16 AM
  • Does anyone realize that Saxony's best player left Jackson's program. He was not getting much playing time on the JV. Probably a good transfer for him. Jackson has been playing since December 10th without their two leading scorers so it's hard for most to judge their team. For instance, Jackson beat Notre Dame 60-49 on Dec.5th and lost to N.D. 47-41 on Dec 30th. Which Jackson team is playing? Advance beat Jackson in OT when Jackson's two leading scorers were out so its not impossible for the upset. With a full team... Jackson wins by 10+ points.

-- Posted by theprof on Fri, Jan 6, 2017, at 11:45 AM
  • Who are you saying is Saxony's best player? Because I dont think any of their starters went to high school in Jackson???

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Fri, Jan 6, 2017, at 12:11 PM
  • I'm not in any way trying to defend Saxony or the player you are talking about. But he may not have been getting playing time at Jackson and he decided to transfer, but some players do better in different environments. Some players just need a change of scenery to thrive. He has definitely proved that he CAN be a great player though.

-- Posted by RememberTheChunk on Fri, Jan 6, 2017, at 12:19 PM
  • How does anyone not realize one simple fact when thinking of Saxony? That is development. I'm aware of the one player, but he did not attend high school at Jackson. He started his freshman year at Saxony. He and the entire starting lineup, plus the 6 and 7 men, have developed into deadly shooters beyond the arc, as well as good finishers in the paint with contact. On any given day the two leading scorers for Saxony can both score 20+ points and it does not matter who on earth is guarding them. Also, the entire roster is made up of great shot creators, so all that taken into consideration, with good defense, it would be a very close game that could easily end up with Saxony or Jackson winning. Never count out the underdog!

-- Posted by ballervision on Fri, Jan 6, 2017, at 12:42 PM
  • Did the definition of "deadly shooter" change over the last couple of years? I must have missed that addendum.

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Jan 6, 2017, at 12:56 PM
  • I have only seen Saxony play one time this year and Jackson only once with starting kids. I would say jackson wins by 10+ also. Jackson is to deep off bench for Saxony. Would be fun to watch

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Fri, Jan 6, 2017, at 1:05 PM

You haven't heard much about them because they're silent but deadly.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Fri, Jan 6, 2017, at 1:06 PM
  • I think Saxony and oran play tonight. Should be good game. Big man for Saxony should dominate

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Fri, Jan 6, 2017, at 1:12 PM
  • Call me old fashioned, but I am completely against kids changing schools for athletics. It's bush league in my opinion.

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Jan 6, 2017, at 1:13 PM
  • @BonScott i am pretty sure the kid gets better grades since he transferred schools also. Just saying

-- Posted by RememberTheChunk on Fri, Jan 6, 2017, at 2:02 PM

I think Jackson's starters getting in trouble shows their lack of discipline on and off the court. Saxony could either run them over or shoot themselves out of the game.

Also, if you want to look at it this way; Carbondale beat Jackson (with their starters) by 4 points. Ridgeway beat Carbondale by 9 points. 9 + 4 equals 13. Saxony lost to Ridgeway by 2 points. Saxony over Jackson by 10+

-- Posted by TheSpectator on Fri, Jan 6, 2017, at 2:48 PM
  • @Spectator:

You can never look at match ups that way. There are a lot of variables in sports.

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Jan 6, 2017, at 3:13 PM
  • @Chunk:

If kids change schools to escape the government education or for religious reasons, that's all good.

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Jan 6, 2017, at 3:17 PM
  • Saxony is the truth they are well Coached the Williams kids come from a Basketball Family and Rodgers is legit. We played against each other this summer. And they have a chance to win it all just as much as anyone

-- Posted by unfinishbusiness on Sat, Jan 7, 2017, at 8:54 PM
  • It'd be close, I'd take Jackson by 10 or less

I like Saxony's abilities quite a bit. They've become a very good team the last couple years. They have potential to have a special season this year

But I like Jackson in this match up. I can't put my finger on exactly why, but I'll take the Indians. I do think that depth is a definite advantage for them though

But as stated... we'll never know

-- Posted by semo501 on Sat, Jan 7, 2017, at 10:14 PM
  • But best of luck to both the rest of the way

-- Posted by semo501 on Sat, Jan 7, 2017, at 10:14 PM
  • Saxony in a close game ...I agree with unfinished business they can play a lot more mature this year than last year... But I remember watching them play Charleston last year and they had the gym silent when thy jumped out on them by 20 in the first quarter but being young cost them the game ... so I watched them play ridgeway in the Carbondale tournament clearly expecting them to get blowed out but joined the band wagon when the williams boy and Rogers Kidd went to a whole another level against two div 1 guards and literally gave them all they wanted and then some so yeah this team can really turn it up against anyone.

-- Posted by sportsman23 on Sat, Jan 7, 2017, at 10:47 PM

Do the schedules allow for a Show Me Center showdown?

-- Posted by TheCamp on Sun, Jan 8, 2017, at 2:57 PM
  • Saxony's team is what gives private schools a bad reputation. Most of their students have always come from the Lutheran jr high schools. And then they hire Cape's former AD as principal and surprise surprise they get a bunch of kids that did not go to those parochial schools. Now that's not a big deal, but when those kids all happen to be really really good basketball players, I have a hard time calling that a coincidence.

If you don't think other schools haven't realized that, you're crazy. Four-five schools have dropped them in the last two years, and I've heard more drops are on the way. Even Oran's coach mentioned it in the article from their game "they've assembled a good team here". I'm sure someone will say the same thing about notre dame, but you tell me how many players on their varsity went to a public jr high school.

-- Posted by asdf1234 on Sun, Jan 8, 2017, at 9:24 PM
  • Wouldn't be close.. Jackson by A LOT

-- Posted by FauxEinstein on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 7:30 AM
  • ASDF I think you are way out of line. To say they give private schools a bad rep, ridiculous! There are numerous TRANSFERS in every school around. JACKSON has a number of kids who did not attend public jr high, where's the carping about that?? We are not talking about why they are good, but a potential matchup.(BTW None of those kids were standout athletes at the local junior high or highschool, stop being angry at kids for jumping on their opportunities & that goes both ways) Stick to the topic and stop bashing.

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 9:38 AM
  • Kids jumping on opportunities? Or their parents living through their kids and they are jumping on an opportunity?...Anyway, good luck to all of those parents who didn't like the the coach at the previous school.

PS...I've yet to see a standout athlete in junior high.

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 10:32 AM
  • Not sure what the big deal is with people going from public to private or private to public...I went to private school till my 8th grade year and had to choose between continuing private or going public and all my class of 18 students went to public but 2 kids... so are we saying public recruits Private parochial school kids as well or that public school kids can't change their minds and want to attend a private High School after their 8th or 9th grade year?? Parents and kids have their own choice on where they want to go. Doesn't always mean the school recruits them... maybe some kids get in trouble at their old school, not making good grades or hanging with the wrong crowd and their parents want a better life for them. Saxony is a wonderful school to attend with a Christian environment that is not allowed at public schools anymore.

And how many times does this have to be posted on here....None of these boys were stars at their previous schools. They sat the bench and didn't get to play hardly at all! So what kind of school recruits benchwarmers??? I'm pretty sure none do. Just because these boys work very hard at developing their skills, play well together and are a great and well disciplined team they get a bad name? All teams have a chance to become better, work harder to be great and go around beating other teams no one expects them too. If they don't, well maybe they need to work harder on their game outside of practice. Oh and I would love to know the 4-5 schools that dropped them in the last two years and You can't include Cape cause Saxony's coach teaches and coaches there so that is why they don't play them. Saxony also plays Kennett and Caruthersville this year which is better compitition then the teams that weren't that great to even remember.

I believe less people would be giving a bad name to Saxony if they knew how wonderful the school and staff is!! What a blessing it has been for putting God in everyone's life that attends it daily, Lutheran or Non Lutheran. Pretty sure that is VERY IMPORTANT! And how it has changed the lives of the so called non Lutherans that attend it. From making better grades, to being pushed to be a better person and proud to represent their school on and off the court! They don't attend the school for Basketball, they attend it for a better life, education and future. So if you want to badmouth Saxony For their boys team being so good, then u should applaud them on how it's helped them inside and outside of the school not including basketball and if they were only there to play basketball then nothing in their life outside of that would of changed. Good luck Saxony on the rest of the year! SAXONY WOULD DEFINITELY BEAT JACKSON!

-- Posted by Quitmakingexcuses on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 10:36 AM
  • BonScott that was idiotic to say! They arent living through their kids because they go to that school? I doubt they moved schools because of a coach and went to a school with KEVIN WILLIAMS as a coach, have you ever seen how much he yells and how little he tolerates? & I was meaning highschool as well and that's a shame because I have.Don't hate.

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 12:09 PM
  • Unfinished business who won that summer game and was it the kids from this year that start on both teams that played or last years squads?

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 2:19 PM
  • Private schools in the area will continue to grow. Dexter would be a good spot to start one, kind of in the cross roads of SEMO.

-- Posted by dexterdoesitall on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 2:22 PM

Well said @Quitmakingexcuses

They hate us cause they ain't us!

-- Posted by TheSpectator on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 2:50 PM
  • - Posted by TheSpectator on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 2:50 PM

Are you actually being serious? Surely not.

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 2:57 PM
  • -- Posted by HoopsObsession on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 12:09 PM

Why was it idiotic Hoops? Because it's true?...I'm a realist and I know it happens, at public and private schools. I'm not singling out Saxony, I'm talking about everyone that does it. I could care less about Saxony, or Jackson for that matter. I just get sick and tired of parents and adults putting these kids on a pedestal for all the wrong reasons...Kind of like the dad who moved his kids to THREE different high schools chasing a state championship. Trust me, it happens.

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 3:05 PM
  • And just remember some years back Jackson had a star running back that transferred from Georgia. :)

-- Posted by hoopsguru on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 3:30 PM

A showdown game could pack the $how-Me-Center

-- Posted by TheCamp on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 4:20 PM
  • I doubt it would pack Saxonys gym.

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 4:30 PM
  • I agree Murph...as much as I love Jackson hoops I don't see that match up having widespread appeal...

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 4:43 PM
  • Me either. It would be a good game and I think your guys would win but maybe parents and some fans show up. I am interested in person that said they played in summer.

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 5:26 PM
  • What summer game?

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 9:23 PM
  • Saxony (college) at it again. Delta's star girls basketball player transfers to Saxony willing to sit a year just to attend Saxony and play basketball...but no recruiting?!

-- Posted by mytown2 on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 9:31 PM
  • I dunno unfinished business said summer game

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 9:45 PM

Let me just look at their faculty...whoops! Nobody listed as "Recruiter." I wonder why...? Oh wait. They don't recruit. "Oh but they all of a sudden got good at basketball." They all worked their butts off in the summer and got better just like it is supposed to be. "But none of the kids went to the parochial jr. highs!" A good 15% of their school population are transfers/non-Lutherans. And I can garuntee a quarter of Jackson's athletics didn't attend public school in jr. high either "I'm sure there is some sort of funding going on to pay their tuition!" Actually, there are no privately school sponsored events hosted by faculty, management, booster club...NONE. Families have the option to start their own fundraiser for their child or others or supporters have the option to donate! "But...!" And no, they can not direct the money to any specific student. First come, first serve. I think most of you guys are ignoring the fact that Saxony is an overall better school, not just in specific athletics. Get over yourselves and stop being petty. Complaining is not going to do anything but take up space on a forum discussion that has nothing to do with the original thread. If it grinds your gears so much, how about just emailing MSHSAA? They've actually looked into the case last year and found no evidence of your so called "recruiting." Thank you.

Now I'm interested in this thought...why do you think this matchup wouldn't bring up much of a crowd? It's not just the parents and random sports fans that show up. I'm sure both student sections would be packed and other schools would like to get a taste of good basketball. I'd for one like to see Saxony play Sikeston or PB, or even Charleston in the regular season. Can't blame them for playing all these unheard of teams if no one else will accept a spot on their calendar.

-- Posted by TheSpectator on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 9:53 PM
  • Spectator, I like your passion. Although I think it's very naive, I still like your passion...After 1 1/2 decent years of basketball, you want to start scheduling Sikeston, Bluff, and Charleston? Good luck with that.

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 10:01 PM
  • My thoughts exactly. Guess they could if they want a beat down!!!

-- Posted by BIGELW on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 10:04 PM
  • Wow spectator!! I feel confident that the teams you mentioned aren't scared to play Saxony as you are insinuating!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 10:07 PM
  • I don't think he's saying they're scared, just that it isn't happening. They'd be good games to watch, I think.

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 10:28 PM
  • Sikeston beats Saxony by 30 guaranteed. I think Saxony is good team just not at Sikeston, pb, Jackson level.

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 10:29 PM

You "men" seem very pretentious of your big schools. Good thing the past teams laid out a foundation for the present team with a "Big school = powerhouse" excuse. Take away the name, not much left but some teenagers hyped up by the media. I'm glad you have your backs turned on Saxony. Time will tell

-- Posted by TheSpectator on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 10:36 PM
  • Stay passionate Spectator. I hope your son gets that's basketball scholarship you're so desperately looking for.

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 10:43 PM

I don't have a child at Saxony. Nothing but a Spectator, Bonnie. I'll keep cheering for my team and maybe whoever you're cheering for will accomplish something?

Saxony wins against all 4 teams. Give PB Leech, he ain't nothing but a show boat. Jackson may have height but defense isn't their best attribute if not their worst. Sikeston can't handle some team from Illinois. And Charleston, please. Beat Oran by 2, can't say much more about that. Who cares if Saxony isn't deep? They proven themselves just fine without rest.

-- Posted by TheSpectator on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 10:55 PM

As I posted on an earlier forum: I hope Saxony joins the SEMO basketball conference.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 11:30 PM
  • 90-17, stay classy Saxony.

-- Posted by asdf1234 on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 11:32 PM
  • Who is Saxony? Sounds like I want to go! Their cult I mean members say you're just a better human just being close to the school! That's my kind a scam, I mean school.

-- Posted by Coachken on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 12:05 AM
  • -- Posted by TheSpectator on Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 10:55 PM

You just showed your ignorance with that post. If you want me to take you seriously, you have to do better than that.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 12:34 AM
  • Spectator, you're making it hard to be a Saxony fan. Just relax and enjoy them having a great year. They do have a great chance to make a playoff run this year because they're a talented team

Now, I think you need to take a step back and realize that if they were indeed in the SEMO Conference it'd be a whole new monster. Yes, Saxony has played some good teams this year, but (most and definitely Jackson) SEMO Conference teams play tough and talented teams almost every game of the season

First you start the season with the conference tourney playing these teams and thats especially tough if you have an inexperienced team because you'll get knocked on your rear real quick. Then most these schools play several tough OOC teams leading up to conference season

Then you go a month straight playing Cape, then Sikeston, then NMCC, then Charleston, then PB, then Jackson, then ND and it just takes a toll and every game is a rivaly game and every team knows each others tendencies to a T. Add pretty tough crowds at each of those venues and it's hard to run the table much less go over .500 every year in a conference like that

I agree that I'd like to see Saxony join the SEMO Conference (especially since there's 9 teams and that's annoying in a tournament). If they can continue to have talented players attend then they can definitely be a contender and another good addition. However, before the talent transferred in they would've been bottom dwellers in the conference most years. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I played against Saxony before they had good players wanting to move there and you could mark down a W before the game was even played. It's perfectly in whoever wants to go there's right though, so that's fine but if that line of talent stops and they revert back to where their players used to be then they won't be able to play close to the level they're at now

But I recognize that they're incredibly talented and can give most anyone in the area a run for their money. Coach Williams is doing a great job and has been able to get the most out of all these talented players they have! Best of luck the rest of the way out!

-- Posted by semo501 on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 12:58 AM
  • @Hoopsguru... Speak about what you know and thats not the star running back from Georgia Jackson had almost 15 year's ago! I grew up with him and played football with him. He was up here every summer as a kid with his cousins and rest of his family. This was before his mom who IS FROM JACKSON decided to move back home..

-- Posted by FauxEinstein on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 7:30 AM
  • Going to keep hearing this until the JAYZ beat them (AGAIN) then they'll shut up about how good they are.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 7:39 AM
  • The 'Jayz' should probably worry about Caruthersville first.

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 9:23 AM
  • I don't know about Sikeston, but I do think Saxony would beat Jackson pretty easily and Charleston in a close game, same with PB. They'd beat NMCC & Cape no doubt. Just my opinion from watching teams around. You have to give respect where it is due. I just cannot understand why some of these teams are so great when they lose to garbage teams. I personally do not think any other team besides Sikeston and maybe PB could hang with Ridgeway the way Saxony did. I support all teams from SEMO though, private or not and I hope they all make some noise here soon!

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 9:29 AM
  • I understand Saxony is traditionally not good, but they are good right now and I would think as basketball lovers we have to respect that.

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 9:30 AM
  • If you read the write up on the Saxony vs. Oran game..."We're bigger and better athletes than most of the guys we play". That Saxony coach sure has been eating some of that humble pie LOL

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 9:40 AM
  • Why is it that every time somebody mentions Saxony on here people always go straight to talking about recruiting? Like the spectator said, there has already been an investigation done on Saxony, and guess what, it came back as all good, NO PROBLEMS. Why can't we just appreciate a good basketball team without b*tching and complaining about why they are good or making accusations of recruiting. Believe it or not there are student athletes that choose to go to Saxony because they want to, not because they are recruited. I will give respect to teams in the area that are good, but don't get mad when the one team that nobody cares about actually becomes good and start coming up with bullsh*t excuses of why they are good to make yourself or others feel better about a team getting beaten by Saxony. Just like HoopsObsession said, lets just appreciate a good team when we see one. Because deep down we are all just basketball fans and love to watch good teams play.

-- Posted by RememberTheChunk on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 9:44 AM
  • Baseball fan I think he was referring to their strength of schedule, not bragging on his players.

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 9:54 AM

I try to stay out of this kind of stuff but Jackson's starters were back last night and i can promise you, they make a huge difference to that Jackson squad. They have their starters and Jackson beats Saxony 3 times in a row, beats Advance every time, beats Charleston at least once and gives Sikeston a run for their money. Thats a promise.

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 10:28 AM
  • All of that recruiting stuff doesn't make sense if you sit down and think. I am not sure on this but I don't think Coach Williams or any of his staff was even there when those kids started at Saxony ( I could be wrong but I think it was the previous coaches there). So who "recruited" them?

-- Posted by factchecker2016 on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 10:49 AM
  • Did anyone watch the Saxony v Ridgeway game? I know Ridgeway beat down Cardinal Ritter, which seemed very odd looking at other comparable games, is Ridgeway that high caliber of a team?

-- Posted by uncommon_sense on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 10:54 AM
  • You saw them versus a WEAK, VERY WEAK Woodland team. Means nothing. And yes, Ridgeway is a very good team. Two D1 guards, and a very funded team out of Memphis. Pretty sure they are reigning state champs in 6A Tennessee

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 11:36 AM
  • Maybe some of you should come and watch a Saxony game before you throw so much shade.

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 11:38 AM
  • HoopsObsession AKA Saxony homer...last time I checked Woodland was 9-4 and was a buzzer beater away from knocking off Dexter last friday on their floor, and on their homecoming night. They are not a weak team by any means.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 11:46 AM
  • Ridgeway lost to Memphis East in last years playoffs 100-48.

-- Posted by CalPreps on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 11:46 AM
  • -- Posted by CalPreps on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 11:47 AM
  • They are Class AAA.

-- Posted by CalPreps on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 11:49 AM
  • The problem with small schools unless they are traditional power houses is talent may be down for 10 years before u have a class that comes thru that can compete with big schools.Saxony may compete this year but what about next 5 years?

-- Posted by HOLYCOWMAN on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 12:19 PM
  • I think Jackson would win this matchup. I heard they've got a couple of really good slashers on the team.

-- Posted by ThadCastle on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 12:23 PM
  • Hoops, What schools have the 2 D1 guards from Ridgeway signed LOI?

-- Posted by uncommon_sense on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 1:03 PM
  • @uncommon_sense

i know one of them has committed to University of Tennessee

-- Posted by RememberTheChunk on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 2:03 PM
  • Jalen Crutcher, number 2 on Memphis Ridgeway. He is committed to the University of Chattanooga. He's the 11th ranked player in TN.

-- Posted by WildcatFan143 on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 2:19 PM
  • @HOLYCOWMAN

From watching many games, and having family within the private grade school, I can assure you that there is serious talent that could and most likely will develop from the kids there, because I have firsthand witnessed the work ethic these kids put in. Don't count Saxony out for a long while.

-- Posted by ballervision on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 2:21 PM
  • Does anyone have a link to article of this game or box score? This game intrigued me (Saxony v Ridgeway) but never saw a write up.

-- Posted by uncommon_sense on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 2:23 PM
  • Here's a link to a game he played less than a month ago. Also in the video is the other kid with D1 offers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4voeTTl...

-- Posted by WildcatFan143 on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 2:25 PM
  • -- Posted by WildcatFan143 on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 2:29 PM
  • Memphis East is a high ranked national team. They are coached by Penny Hardaway. Rideway is the current reigning large school champion. They have three 6'7 kids and outstanding guards. I guarantee no other schools around the area could come close to this team.

-- Posted by WildcatFan143 on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 2:34 PM
  • Wow Ridgeway must have played awful that game.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 2:45 PM
  • A lot of Saxony supporters are fans of semoball's website I see. Trying to convince everyone of how "great" they are by campaigning for a team that no one in this area has heard of. If Saxony gets past Charleston in districts, then come talk. But until then, keep patting yourselves on the back, it sure is doing a lot of good.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 2:54 PM
  • Saxony is no longer in the same district as Charleston, they basically have been given a red carpet escort to district titles with this new alignment.

-- Posted by uncommon_sense on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 4:02 PM
  • From watching many games, and having family within the private grade school, I can assure you that there is serious talent that could and most likely will develop from the kids there, because I have firsthand witnessed the work ethic these kids put in. Don't count Saxony out for a long while.

-- Posted by ballervision on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 2:21 PM

Where is this serious talent you speak of?...

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 4:29 PM
  • It would be cool to see how good Jackson could be if all the boys who live in district were on the same team... not split between up between private/public.

-- Posted by thisjustin on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 4:35 PM
  • I would say there are 10x's more haters on Saxony then there are fans trying to make them look good!! I also see more non fans going to watch them and seeing they are "the real deal" and then making comments on here over what Saxony fans say on here!!! How can people JUDGE a team without seeing them?? Obviously they are just reading tiff these forums and going off what people say on here!!! Saxony has nothing to do with the district making changes, but yet they have a long drive every time they have to play in districts.

Obviously it doesn't matter if Saxony would beat Jackson because then I'm sure we would here tons of more excuses why they did win.

-- Posted by Quitmakingexcuses on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 4:52 PM
  • Saxony is just better at life. Don't you people get it. Better school building, better teachers, simply they are just better!!!

-- Posted by Coachken on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 5:14 PM
  • BonScott are you implying there is no talent at Saxony?

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 5:52 PM
  • I didn't say that Hoops. Please re-read the post I was referencing....But since you brought it up. No, I don't think the talent is great at Saxony. They have a couple of decent high school players. And that's okay. You don't have to turn them into something they're not.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 6:16 PM
  • Okay I respected your opinion before you said that LOL! Haters gonna hate. Time will tell

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 6:19 PM
  • Again Hoops, I'm a realist. I have ZERO ties to Saxony or any other team around here. I hate no one. But what I refuse to do is slobber over high school basketball players. And especially over players that haven't done anything out of the ordinary. I'm sorry if you don't understand that, but I don't know how else I could explain it.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 6:43 PM
  • Bonscott, if you have zero ties to any high school team around here then why you making so many bad comments about Saxony?? Seems like you have one agenda and that is to make them look bad any way possible. No one is slobbering over them, seems like everyone is slobbering over everyone else! Talent is great at Saxony so obviously you don't know a thing about this sport!! Maybe you should switch to another thread like pickleball or something.. I hear that's taking over all the local public gyms...even the Jackson Civic Center since you seem like their #1 fan!! You are far from a realist cause you don't realize what is really going on in this sport. Maybe you should spend more time googling what Basketball is and how you play it then sitting on here writing comments about teams you don't know anything about!!

-- Posted by Quitmakingexcuses on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 7:29 PM
  • I agree when Saxony actually wins something then u can talk. I think it's hilarious that some of u think they could actually beat Pb Sikeston or Jackson

-- Posted by BIGELW on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 7:38 PM

Wait, is there actually a pickleball thread? 'Cause that would be amazing.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 7:44 PM
  • Captain awesome... LOL

-- Posted by Quitmakingexcuses on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 7:54 PM
  • Saxony parents must be lacking a lot of attention to start this thread. If you think you can compete join the Semo Conference in basketball, baseball, softball and soccer. I dont think it would be very good outcome for you year in and year out.

-- Posted by bulldogfn on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 10:10 PM
  • -- Posted by Quitmakingexcuses on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 7:29 PM

I don't recall making any bad comments about Saxony. Can you please refresh my memory?

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 10:17 PM
  • Making negative comments every time someone makes a positive one about Saxony is u being negative.. Smh..like I said Google basketball and see what it is about. Study it... and then say something

-- Posted by Quitmakingexcuses on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 10:32 PM
  • You still didn't give me an example, so I'll just assume you are making that up....Give me a few minutes while I google basketball. Hopefully I spell it correctly.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 10:49 PM
  • Cpt. Awesome, just gonna drop in and agree that pickleball is a lot of fun

Thisjustin, I'm with you. That would be an interesting team to see. If, theoretically, there were no private schools for kids to go to it'd be fun to see how much better Jackson/Cape or whoever would be

It's also fun to theorize about an All-Cape County (or wherever else) team vs these super teams like Chaminade or Vashon or DeSmet/Rockhurst from the past half decade or so

-- Posted by semo501 on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 12:56 AM
  • Okay. I just got finished googling "basketball"...I found out that James Naismith invented the game; that the Boston Celtics have won the most NBA championships; that the UCLA Bruins have won the most NCAA championships; that the Moberly Greyhounds have won the most NJCAA championships; and that Scott County Central has won the most state championships in Missouri. I noticed they talked a lot about Lew Alcindor, Michael Jordan, and some guy named Pistol Pete. They mentioned something about a wizard in Westwood and a general in Indiana. And they even mentioned something about a "goat" and a "helicopter" hanging out in a park in New York City. This basketball stuff is kind of weird but somewhat intriguing. I haven't got to the part about parents and hometown fans slobbering all over their team and players that haven't won anything yet, but maybe that's in the next chapter...I'll get back with you "quickmakingexcuses".

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 9:17 AM
  • Welcome to the real world of private schools and sports that your northern neighbors have been dealing with for decades. Until now, you have had Cape Notre Dame as the only private school in SEMO area to worry about. Make no mistake - the Saxony Lutheran folks have figured out that there is a real advantage to being a private school competing in sports in Missouri, especially at the small to mid size level. Their girls did win state last year, and should have opened up some eyes. They will attract athletes while keeping their enrollment numbers down to remain in a lower class - not intentionally keeping numbers down, but there are only so many parents willing to pay for a high school education and an opportunity to play on good teams. Parents and athletes will see that there is a better chance of playing on a good team that will get to the playoffs if you are a small to mid size private school. I predict it won't take long for Saxony to become competitive on the state level at several sports. Nothing against Saxony and not implying any recruiting going on. The opportunity to be on a state playoff team with the advantages of being a small to mid size private school will draw athletes. Success will cause more athletes enrolling at Saxony.

Welcome to the world most of us have dealt with all of our lives. Those of us in the northern sections of the SEMO area know that in all sports we are going to have to go thru the St. Louis area private schools at some point in the playoffs, that is if we can get by the top SEMO teams including Cape Notre Dame. SEMO small school football teams already know the feeling that they are going to have to go thru Valle in the playoffs.

Private and magnet schools are on the rise, and it doesn't take long for the powers that be at these schools to realize that sports can be a magnet to draw athletes from public schools. A good quality religious based education with safer schools and less bad influences, most likely involved parents from upper socioeconomic status with kids who have been parented and disciplined, all makes for a formula for success. Who wouldn't want their kid in that type of environment if you can afford it, and then add the good chance of successful teams year in and year out at most sports. Expect Saxony to continue to rise as a dominant force in SEMO high school sports.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 11:33 AM
  • The difference for Saxony is they will always have to go through Charleston to make it to state and not saying maybe they won't make it but more times than not Charleston will be in there way.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 1:30 PM
  • TheSpectator....you mentioned Sikeston not being able to "handle some team from Illinois." Which team is that? Sikeston hasn't played a team from Illinois this year...not that I can remember. The Dogs certainly haven't lost to any teams from Illinois this year. Are you referring to McCluer? If so, they are from the St. Louis area...Missouri side....Florissant area I believe.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 3:54 PM
  • Think Saxony has a talented team at the moment, but don't think they should make any moves right now. Think they will fade and shouldn't commit to anything that will be way over their heads in years to come. Just sayin, how is their upcoming talent?

-- Posted by Tom A. Hawk on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 11:14 PM
  • It is hard to say how good their upcoming talent is. It depends on if they get any kids from the public schools. The parochial schools that typically feed into Saxony have had a couple of down years(last year and this year) as far as talent goes. And the Jackson 8th and 9th grade teams are not as good or as deep with talent as they have been, so I don't foresee any kids with good talent transferring for playing time.

-- Posted by eagle87 on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 8:15 AM

My bad Rocket, didn't check my source. All I knew was that they were in the Carbondale Tournament. Just assumed they were in Illinois for some reason.

-- Posted by TheSpectator on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 9:07 AM
  • Any chance Saxony gets football?

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 10:24 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: