High School Basketball Forum: SCAA Basketball

Posted by cker23 on Tue, Nov 8, 2016, at 9:15 AM:

I don't care what anyone says, this is one of the most exciting conference's to watch High School basketball. What's everyone think of the teams this year?

IMO, Advance is probably the favorite as to win the conference this year. They will be very solid. They return some playmakers and they are very well coached. Vermillion, Wuebker, and Mayo will be leading that front for them. A very dangerous team.

Dexter will be as tough as they usually are in the SCAA which if you pay attention to this conference then you know what I'm saying. They have some solid players that was on the JV squad last year coming up.

Bloomfield lost a key player in Vandiver. They need someone to step up and they too could be right in the mix.

Woodland lost a couple key players from last season in Beel and Schlief. Both of which signed athletic scholarships (Beel for Basketball and Schlief for Track) to play at the next level. Shows the athleticism That they will need to replace. They do return a key starter in McCormick(6'6) and a big newcomer who got some varsity time last year, Duncan (6'7). They will need some guys to step up and they too will compete for the SCAA crown.

Bell City could be a sleeper team. I believe they return their big scorer from last year.Is it Nichols? His name has slipped my mind. My apologies.

Bernie had a rough season last year. Probably going to be another rough season but they had a solid JV last year so I think they are a year away from being a top tier team again. Hobgood I believe is his name, could light it up from behind the arc.

Puxico I think is going to have a rough go of it this year. Not sure if they have anything coming up or not.

Richland hustles more than any other team in the conference IMO. It don't matter if their down by 40 or up by 20, they never stop hustling. That to me is one of the most important things. Hope they can get a few wins this year!

Response by the editor:
Test

Replies (188)

• Pretty good analysis. Advance should be good and is probably the best team, but have to get better defensively IMO to make a playoff run. Conference I think will be down from last year.

-- Posted by DexterResident1976 on Tue, Nov 8, 2016, at 10:05 AM

I have to agree.

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Nov 8, 2016, at 10:12 AM
  • Bernie will surprise people with 4 starters returning and the addition of Michael Suiter.

-- Posted by ealge97 on Tue, Nov 8, 2016, at 1:14 PM

eagle97,I would agree Bernie will be a bit of surprise with the help they got.And as we know very well coached!I think the move in for Dexter is going to help some too!

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Nov 8, 2016, at 2:22 PM
  • I agree porch Mullins will help Dexter a bunch! Bernie has one of the best coaches in southeast mo. Guard play will be solid, Burk and Hobgood can shoot the 3 well. Nate Dillinger could be the best player in the SCAA Conference. Suiter will be a force in the post I just see Bernie surprising some folks. I'm very biased though 😀. I'm ready for some hoops!!!

-- Posted by ealge97 on Tue, Nov 8, 2016, at 3:31 PM
  • Who is the move in for Dexter? Where did he come from and what grade is he? Just curious.

-- Posted by cardinalnation on Tue, Nov 8, 2016, at 5:01 PM

cardinalnation,He is from East Carter and he is a junior!

-- Posted by porchswing on Wed, Nov 9, 2016, at 3:09 PM

3-1 Bernie visits 5-0 Woodland Tuesday. Should be an interesting matchup.

-- Posted by cker23 on Sat, Dec 10, 2016, at 9:42 AM
  • cker23

Didn't Bernie struggle with the strong strong team of Gideon though last night.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Sun, Dec 11, 2016, at 12:27 PM

Yeah but they did a pretty good job against South Iron who has a pretty decent squad.

-- Posted by cker23 on Sun, Dec 11, 2016, at 1:30 PM
  • If the tournament was next week, this is how I would seed the teams as of right now:

1. Dexter

2. Woodland

3. Advance

4. Bloomfield

5. Bernie

6. Bell City

7. Puxico

8. Richland

Pretty wide open SCAA field this year, seeds 1-6 are very competitive.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 8:51 AM

I agree. I haven't seen Bell City yet this year. Woodland plays them in the first round of the Semo Christmas Tournament.

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 9:41 AM
  • I believe Bell City has a 4-2 record right now. They're very scrappy and can get hot from the 3 pt line. First round of the Semo Tourney should be a good test for Woodland.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 9:55 AM

Best team Woodland has faced this year was Perryville.

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 10:17 AM
  • Bernie gave Woodland all they wanted last night.

-- Posted by ealge97 on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 10:30 AM
  • 1. Advance

2. Dexter

3. Bloomfield

4. Woodland

5. Bernie

6. Bell City

7. Puxico

8. Richland

Game between Advance and Bloomfield this week should be a good one... 1-3 in the county could win it, i just dont see Woodland winning it

-- Posted by Cardinal33 on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 10:36 AM
  • Dexter will be the #1 seed for sure. They gave Jackson all they wanted last night and even led late in the 4th. Minus half of their turnovers and they might have won that game. There is no way Advance is better than Dexter. The SCAA tournament is Dexter's to lose.

-- Posted by cardinalnation on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 12:29 PM
  • A Jackson team that doesnt have three of it's starters playing. Advance is the best team with no doubt. It will be competitive but there's Advance and Dexter in a class of their own and then everyone else is average at best.

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 12:32 PM
  • Can't argue with Advance and Dexter. I know Woodland has played a couple weak teams but they are 6-0. Any team that wins their first 6 games of the season is hard for me to say they are average at best.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 12:38 PM

Advance scores the points but they have no Defense.

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 1:17 PM
  • Woodland is average but can be dangerous at times. However, they are not on the same level. Consistency is key with that team, and they haven't necessarily shown it yet.

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 1:17 PM
  • Armani Vermillion is one of the best on ball defenders around, but I agree their help defense and transition defense can be a lot better. Don't get me wrong but none of these teams are really lock down defensive teams. Woodland has rim protection but not necessarily the best defense

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 1:19 PM
  • Yea Dexter pretty much lost to the Jackson JV team. If they get the 1 seed that isn't saying much for the SCAA.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 2:49 PM
  • You are always a hater of Dexter. Keep up the good work BIGELW. I agree about Dexter. They are not near the team they had last year but I will be respectful. Good luck to all SCAA teams.

-- Posted by Triple on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 3:02 PM
  • Woodland is a hard team to figure out. But I will say their new coach plays eleven boys every nite. He runs them in and out more than any coach that I have seen in a while. Maybe he is trying to get a gell or just believes if your on the team you will play. Anxious to see if he coaches the same way during the tournaments.

-- Posted by woodland alumni 1979 on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 4:15 PM

Coach Lenaburg wants to put fresh legs in as much as he can. He plays guys hard for 3-4 mins then gets five new guys out there. Doing that wears teams down.

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 4:25 PM
  • I understand the (trying to wear teams down). But I am not sure it's working. Woodland has maybe 2 or 3 boys that can come off bench and hold their own.

Woodland does not full court press much and high school games are 8 minute quarters with usually 2 or 3 timeouts per quarter not counting standing around during free throws. I am saying if their legs are not fresh enough to play they are not in shape.

I understand games like the second game vs. Leapold, after beating them by 55 in first game let the bench play but that strategy during Chaffee game just about lost them the game. I know just about every shot Chaffee took went in and even parents told me they could not believe how well they were playing. Looks like boys having hard time gelling with so much substitutions. Not picking a fight, just my observations after watching all 6 games

-- Posted by woodland alumni 1979 on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 5:17 PM

FWIW, Advance's defense has (besides SCC) held teams to under 60 in their 4 wins and 3 of those were under 50.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 6:23 PM

Yes and Woodland hasn't had an opponent score 60 on them at all this year in all 6 of their wins. 3 of those under 50. So whoever said that Woodland don't have defense is dead wrong.

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 7:53 PM
  • So they have just as good defense as Advance? I recall someone saying Advance has no defense

-- Posted by HoopsObsession on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 8:13 PM
  • Anybody gonna give Bloomfield any credit? They have a very capable and dangerous team. They will give Dexter and Advance all they can handle, and they have a legitimate shot at winning county

-- Posted by Cardinal33 on Wed, Dec 14, 2016, at 10:59 PM
  • SCAA basketball gentleman. Im pretty sure thats why they actually play the games. There will be some games where you shoulda coulda but didnt and there will be some where no surprises will occur. I havent seen anyone other than Woodland play and all Ive seen from them is consistency issues. Got some good talent but lacking intelligence at times. Bernie is down I figure Advance will be solid and Dexter also. Not so sure what to expect from Bloomfield, Vandiver was the hub that wheel turned on. We shall see.

-- Posted by Semoball68 on Thu, Dec 15, 2016, at 8:13 AM
  • Triple, How is that being disrespectful?

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Dec 15, 2016, at 3:00 PM
  • Now that the Christmas Tourneys are over and we have a better idea. Here is how I would seed the tourney if it started next week:

1. Dexter

2. Advance

3. Woodland

4. Bloomfield

5. Bernie

6. Bell City

7. Puxico

8. Richland

After Dexter and Advance, it becomes a little difficult trying to seed 3 through 6. Bell City beat Woodland, Bernie beat Bell City, but Woodland beat Bernie as well.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 11:04 AM
  • Woodland ahead of Bloomfield? Lol

-- Posted by Floor Slapper on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 11:48 AM
  • I was very close to swapping spots with Bloomfield and Woodland. Overall records are very close and they haven't faced each other yet. Decided to give Woodland the slight edge after nearly beating Dexter on their floor Friday.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 11:55 AM
  • Fair enough. Records are close, I think Woodland has a couple worse losses but that goes to show why Dexter and Advance are the top teams. Not thinking about their losses.

-- Posted by Floor Slapper on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 12:04 PM

Anyone know when the seed meeting is? I know Woodland plays Bloomfield and Bell City before the tournament happens.

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Jan 10, 2017, at 4:06 PM
  • I've made my usual rounds and watched all the teams. Please do not just look at records. Dexter is obviously number 1, no question, for obvious reasons. I would actually put Bloomfield ahead of Advance. Another team I will not mention by name could be a lot better if they would play as a team on both ends of the floor and get better ball handling from their guards. Turnovers are absolutely killing this team.

Dexter

Bloomfield

Advance

Woodland

Bernie

Puxico

Bell City

Richland

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 2:09 AM
  • Advance

Dexter

Woodland

Bloomfield

Bernie

Bell City

Puxico

Richland

-- Posted by Triple on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 5:37 AM

Wait, hasn't Advance beat Bloomfield already this year? No way you can put Bloomfield ahead of Advance. Advance has beat both Jackson and Cape Central by double digits. There isn't a team in this conference that can do that besides Advance.

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 7:53 AM
  • Advance beat Jackson. Dexter did not. Advance should be seeded ahead of Dexter IMO.

-- Posted by DexterResident1976 on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 8:38 AM
  • Advance did catch Jackson at the right time without some of their starters. Not sure if Dexter played against Jackson before their starters got in trouble or not. Jackson is no where near the same team when they have all of their starters.

I would seed Dexter ahead of Advance because Dexter won their Christmas tourney. I know the Cape tourney has tougher competition but I just think Dexter is the deserving #1 seed. Had Advance pulled off one more upset and beaten Charleston, they would be the top seed in my opinion. Bottomline, unless Woodland or Bloomfield have anything to say about it, a potential championship game between Dexter and Advance would make for a heck of a matchup.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 9:16 AM
  • in my opinion it should not matter who won their Christmas tournament. if they haven't played head to head you have to base it off of records and common opponents. Advance should be the number 1 seed. They have beaten Jackson. Jackson didn't have their starters when they played at Dexter and beat Dexter. Dexter lost to Jackson on their home court, Advance beat Jackson on a neutral court. Advance should be number 1 seed.

-- Posted by dexterdoesitall on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 10:12 AM
  • I was not aware of Jackson beating Dexter without their starters. If that is the case, I cannot argue with Advance being the top seed. Either way, should make for an exciting tournament. Would love to see Advance and Dexter duke it out for 1st place.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 10:22 AM
  • Dexter is a tough place to play. in looking at the box scores for their home games the norm is that the visiting team is called for more fouls 2 to 1 than the home team. typically a totally different team at home than they are on the road. I think bloomfield game was 26 fouls on bloomfield and 13 on dexter. something to keep in mind.

-- Posted by dexterdoesitall on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 10:33 AM
  • I believe Dexter has more wins at Bloomfield than any other gym this year. If you knew what you were talking about, it would help. Most area schools are members of an association. The schools do not hire their own officials, at least most do not. I could be wrong but I believe Dexter and Bloomfield are members of the same association. I am sorry your team lost-please don't play the foul card. Providing excuses is not a good lesson to teach youngsters.

If you are speaking about the Bloomfield game, the Wildcats lost their composure last night. Plain and simple.

-- Posted by Triple on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 11:18 AM
  • you can go back to the upset wins that Dexter had last year at Dexter, NMCC and Poplar Bluff. The difference is night and day.

-- Posted by dexterdoesitall on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 11:25 AM
  • The runs that Bloomfield made late in the game were stopped by the refs. Bloomfield cut it to 2 with about 4 min left in the game. Then six straight fouls were called on Bloomfield, sending Dexter to the charity stripe. Bloomfield played against Dexter and the refs last night. If that game is played anywhere else Bloomfield comes out of there with the win.

-- Posted by Cardinal33 on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 11:59 AM
  • Cardinal33, do you think the refs got a side of Hickory Log ribs to throw the game?...

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 12:02 PM

Lol hilarious.

Also, the seed meeting is Saturday. Any key seed changing matchups happening Thursday or Friday?

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 12:24 PM

Just looked and the only SCAA matchups happening before the seed meeting are Richland/Advance and Bernie/Dexter so I don't see the top two changing at all. Woodland has Meadow Heights Friday, Bell City I believe has Delta and I think Bloomfield has Malden.

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 12:31 PM
  • Newsflash-

When Dexter wins their 10 games a year, it is because the officials hand them the game. I guess when they lose the other 15, it is a different group of officials??

Sorry Dexter, you can't win when you win.

-- Posted by Triple on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 1:18 PM
  • Lets let Dexter enjoy their wins against the SCAA schools cause when they play the Semo Conf. schools they will be like they always are which is bottom dwellers.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 1:24 PM
  • Triple,

The refs doing the games for Dexter would be worth noting. It also has been rumored that Hickory Log sends a complimentary full slab of Ribs to refs homes the evening before they do a game involving Dexter.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 1:26 PM
  • I've heard the same thing. Coach Dowdy is the most intimidating coach in the area and those rough tough football playing kids get away with murder against those lowly SCAA kids. Refs tremble when they come to the BEC. You know why? Dexter does it all. Enough said.....PUKE Bon Scott, can you believe this $H1Z?

-- Posted by lonesomedavepeverett on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 1:53 PM
  • Lighten up OZ. Having some fun with the haters and some of the Bearcat "faithful" if that's what you want to call them.

-- Posted by lonesomedavepeverett on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 2:05 PM
  • just saying their best chance of winning is at home, games are ugly, just look at the box scores from home games as opposed to games on the road. not intimidating, he does have a knack for whining. for the past few years I have sat right behind the bench and have wondered why officials give in to the whining. BEC is not an intimidating place to play, bloomfield had more kids in student section than Dexter did, probably had them outnumbered in adult fans as well.

-- Posted by dexterdoesitall on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 2:14 PM
  • Dexter starts winning a few games and county schools start whining. That is how it used to when every one hated Dexter.

Poor Bloomfield. Glad they had more students.

-- Posted by Triple on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 2:26 PM
  • Sounds like Bloomfield and Dexter had a great game. Not sure if the refs gave Dexter the game or not as I wasn't there to witness it but a good team needs to play 7/8 vs. 5 once in a while if they're going to be better later in the season as it makes the players and coaches better prepared in case it happens again.

-- Posted by semolian on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 2:58 PM
  • not whining, just noticed a trend that started last year and has continued. you can watch the games for yourself and then look at the box scores in the paper, usually a 2 to 1 foul difference

-- Posted by dexterdoesitall on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 3:09 PM
  • lonesomedave, I was always told Dexter is the New York Yankees of Stoddard County. Everybody loves to hate them, unless you're from Dexter...I guess it's still true. :)

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 3:09 PM
  • I doubt there is any jealousy towards Dexter by any schools in the county. Only school with football but also the only school in the county without a team state championship trophy

-- Posted by dexterdoesitall on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 3:24 PM
  • Who said anyone was jealous?...

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 3:31 PM
  • Dexter do your homework. The cheerleading team won a title about 10 years ago. Is cheerleading not a team sport? Even some of the Dexter people hate Dexter...For the record I like Advance by 10 or more when they match up but really don't care because I respect both coaches.

-- Posted by lonesomedavepeverett on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 4:00 PM
  • Largest school in the county and conference. Should win every year. Should do like they do in baseball, and not play in the conference.

-- Posted by Slim shady on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 4:26 PM
  • Cheerleading is a "sideline activity" according to mshsaa as of 2006. The Missouri Cheerleading Coaches Association deals with championships now.

-- Posted by semolian on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 4:42 PM
  • By god you tell em Slim. Bunch of BS they have to be in a conference with county schools. And Lian thanks for stealing my thunder. Thought I had ole Dexter on that one but wrong again.

-- Posted by lonesomedavepeverett on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 4:50 PM
  • I have spoke with many opposing coaches and schools about the unfair advantage of having such a large school as Dexter competing at the SCAA. Its almost as though a school that size needs to pad their ego by beating up on small schools like Richland.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 5:06 PM

Kinda like Class 3 Woodland a Bollinger County school in the SCAA. Never understood it.

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 5:17 PM
  • dexterdoesitall, just when did Bernie win a state championship?

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 6:46 PM
  • Volleyball several years

-- Posted by ealge97 on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 9:02 PM
  • Dexter golf team won a state title several years ago. I'd say that counts.

-- Posted by Popcorn Genius on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 9:17 PM
  • Double B-Dexter has an unfair advantage? Because of their size? If that is the case I suppose Jackson and bluff have an unfair advantage in the Semo conference over dexter, Charleston, NMCC, etc. Ridiculously clueless comment.

Semo7178-1994,1995,1996,1997,1999 is when. All you have to do is go to google and type in Missouri high school volleyball state champions to see.

Man I can't believe my previous post was removed. Everybody is so touchy!!!

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 9:53 PM
  • Being the biggest school in the county gives Dexter a disadvantage also. Kids from the other schools are basically playing 2 sports all year, while Dexter has football. My guess is the other schools are spending numerous hours in open gyms ect while half or more of the Dexter basketball line up is busy with football. That said, being the biggest school in the county they still will often have bigger,stronger, faster physical specimens than everyone else. The Jackson kid would be a prime example, he owns the paint against every county school.

-- Posted by Rusty Pistol on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 9:54 PM
  • I don't see why you guys are fighting over this. Everybody who is downgrading other schools is just giving themselves and there school a bad reputation and I'm sorry but Ik most of you guys are grown and are acting like children and only saying this stuff cause nobody can track down who you really are

-- Posted by Dexter3064 on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 9:57 PM
  • Plus this tournament is suppose to be about tradition not about a bigger school beaten up smaller school. Respect the History!!!

-- Posted by Dexter3064 on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 9:59 PM

Gabe Jackson didnt own the paint against Woodland. He wont own it either against Advance.

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 10:00 PM
  • Did not watch that game cker, but Woodland is blessed with a few very big men theirselves so that's possible, more often than not unless he's in foul trouble he will be a major factor in the paint if that's a better statement. Physically I would call him pretty big and very strong...that was my point. Not a Dexter fan by any means but think they are well coached and kids play hard.

-- Posted by Rusty Pistol on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 10:19 PM
  • ozzyandharriet, my mistake; I assumed we were talking basketball, since this is on a basketball forum.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Jan 11, 2017, at 11:46 PM
  • ozzyandharriet... shame... shame... shame... shame... shame...

Honestly, I think Mr Jackson dominates against Mayo inside.

As far as inside guys in the SCAA... I would take The Dominator... The Force... The Bruiser... Gibbs for Bloomfield over anyone I've watched in the SCAA. This guy not only bring his construction hat and lunch box. But will eat your lunch after he's ate his. Its obvious he takes pride in playing defense. One can only imagine what driveway pickup games at the Gibbs house must be like.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 12:00 AM
  • Here is how I would seed it:

1. Advance

2. Dexter

3. Bloomfield

4. Woodland

5. Bernie

6. Bell City

7. Puxico

8. Richland

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 1:14 AM
  • I am someone who thinks Dexter being in the conference is great for the conference. Ultimately the competetive schools in Stoddard County are blessed to play them. Dexter provides great competition for the schools with aspirations of winning district championships and going to final fours. The conference has produced approximately 10-12 final four teams just in the last 20 years. I know Advance, Bell City, Bernie, Bloomfield, and Richland have all been to final fours since 1996. Having rivalries with schools such as Dexter is great for smaller conference schools. It is a David vs. Goliath effect and honestly instead of crying about it most should take the "we have nothing to lose" and Dexter has "everything to lose" attitude going into those games. Furthermore, it is not like Dexter is absolutely dominating the conference in the last 10 years. If I am not mistaken they have won 1 conference championship since 2010. The time to cry about school size and beating up on smaller schools should have been had (if at all) when they were winning 7 BCT's in a row or winning 3 conf championships in 4 years. Also, I mean this as no disrespect to a program like Richland, but to say "beat up on Richland" is a skewed statement because honestly most conference teams period have beaten up on Richland for a while now. To weaken a conference can be very detrimental to potential deep playoff teams. You have to play a schedule that is going to prepare you against great competition and provide a great atmosphere to play in (Dexter brings large crowds). Basically, instead of complaining about an average-below average class 4 school being in your conference you should look at it like they are a really good class 1 or 2 school that prepares us for what really matters. Smaller conference schools should be using Dexter as preparation for a playoff. If it is looked at in that way, the jokes on Dexter, who are still a ways from being legitimate playoff contenders.

-- Posted by canolifromvagilios on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 8:52 AM
  • Well said canolifromvagilios. I'm not a Dexter fan but most teams the rest of the SCAA play will not be like Dexter until late in districts or later. They have an experienced big guy/point guard duo, are well coached, and well conditioned with at the least a decent bench. SCC plays teams of that caliber throughout the season to get ready for state. Most times it works.

-- Posted by semolian on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 9:38 AM
  • That is exactly right... preparation, semolian, it prepares a program like SCC for deep playoff runs. Several years ago Bernie added Sikeston and Notre Dame to prepare for their playoff runs. Bell City went to the riverbend a few years during their runs. Also, in defense of Dexter they cannot help the conference or schedule that the school district has chose for them. You can only play the competition that is in front of you. I think Coach Dowdy does an excellent job. Although I believe they are not there yet as far as competing for district championships yet there will be a time when he gets one. A district that starts with Sikeston year in and year out is an automatic disadvantage. There will be a time though that everything will fall into place. In 2004, Dexter had that fall into place and went to a final four.

-- Posted by canolifromvagilios on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 10:28 AM
  • canolifromvagilios: Also, in defense of Dexter they cannot help the conference or schedule that the school district has chose for them. You can only play the competition that is in front of you. On the contrary, oh yes they "can" choose their competition, particularly conferences. For instance, years ago when the Dunklin County Conference was in existence, "Kennett" (largest school in the county) was not a member of the conference, which included Holcomb, Malden, Campbell, Clarkton, Senath, etc.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 12:15 PM
  • Being from Bernie, I am obviously not even remotely a Dexter fan, and some of the ugliest games (fan-wise) that we have are against Dexter. However, I would hate for them to not be in our conference. As was stated previously, the extra competition that Dexter adds only helps improve the team. But also, for me, as much as I hate to lose to Dexter, I would hate it more to not have the chance to beat them. As it currently is, there is the potential for three Bernie-Dexter games each year. I cannot imagine a season where none existed.

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 12:55 PM
  • All those years when Kennett was not in the same conference as Senath, their "one meeting" each year was a "one game, bragging rights,Dunklin County Super Bowl," as it was billed. Later, when Kennett and Senath both competed in the Bootheel Conference, and played 3 to 4 times a season, the match-up lost its luster, and has never drawn the crowds and had as much impact as earlier! I think the Dexter-Bernie game would become an even greater rivalry if they only played once each season.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 1:09 PM
  • semo7178, how much do you know about the Dexter/Bernie rivalry?

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 1:16 PM
  • On the contrary, oh yes they "can" choose their competition, particularly conferences. For instance, years ago when the Dunklin County Conference was in existence, "Kennett" (largest school in the county) was not a member of the conference, which included Holcomb, Malden, Campbell, Clarkton, Senath, etc.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 12:15 PM

Obviously semo you did not read the statement that I made in the post. Let me show you the post you were referring to:

"Also, in defense of Dexter they cannot help the conference or schedule that the school district has chose for them."

Now.. Since we are talking about Dexter's basketball program, obviously when I stated Dexter I was referring to their basketball program. So on the contrary, they do not have a say in what their schedule looks like in conference. The School District, as I mentioned earlier, has chose to compete in the Stoddard County Activies Association Conference and well and the SEMO Conference. That decision is made by Superintendants (Who write the bylaws of the actual conference doctrines), and board members who vote on decisions for schools. So, basically like I said the basketball program at Dexter cannot help who they have to play. They just go play and coaches just go coach. The only thing the coaches would have a say in would be a non-conference schedule, which honestly is pretty tough.

-- Posted by canolifromvagilios on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 1:59 PM
  • @Semo7178

This entire thread has been based on a dispute about Dexter basketball and how "bad" it is that they proudly beat up on smaller conference schools. If you read a prior post I actually gave reasons why it is actually good for other small schools to have Dexter in their conference (Reference above). But in defending them in the most recent post I was obviously referring to comments that are made towards the coaches and team, that anyone who knows anything about how a school district is ran, would know have no say in the matter. It is actually hurts Dexter as far as competing to play smaller schools that aren't going to make them better. But that will not change until the district and powers that be decide to leave the conference. Until then all the program can do is play who is in front of them.

-- Posted by canolifromvagilios on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 2:07 PM
  • Its funny when clueless people try to opine about the very things they are clueless about.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 2:16 PM
  • Dexter will never leave the SCAA, nor should they. There is way to much history and tradition for them to leave....I think people get wrapped up in the small school vs. large school debate way to much. Year in, year out, you're always going to have a couple of the schools that are really good, and Dexter may not be as good. And that's okay. Like someone said earlier, that should give the smaller schools even more motivation to go and beat them.

PS...Being a larger school doesn't automatically mean you're going to be good at sports.

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 2:23 PM
  • I agree Bon scott. Expecially in basketball when only 5 play.

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 2:49 PM
  • I'm not sure how conference works but you don't have to schedule teams in your district during the regular season.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 2:55 PM
  • I never implied the coaches chose their conference. Any knowledgeable person would know it's the school administration, etc. that determines such. Coaches/athletic directors "do" however, pretty much determine who they elect to play outside of conference affiliation.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 3:56 PM
  • 16 regular season games and 3 tournament games.

7 SCAA conference games

8 semo conference games?

15 games. Can schedule 1 game outside of conference schedule.

-- Posted by oldschool3 on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 4:01 PM
  • Dexter should drop out of the SEMO conference. Playing in two conferences is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of. They never should have been in it in the first place...They lost a couple of big rival games because of that.

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 4:18 PM
  • I just read where the Jackson Kid didn't own the paint against Woodland. 14 points, 15 rebounds, and 6 blocks. If that's not owning the paint, I'd sure say he rented it for the evening......Just sayin'

-- Posted by Popcorn Genius on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 4:54 PM

I can promise you he didnt have 15 rebounds or 6 blocks. Who ever did them stats definitly added their own twist to it. Anyone who watched that game knows that.

-- Posted by cker23 on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 5:18 PM
  • If Dexter needs to be in only one conference (which makes perfect sense), the SEMO Conference is more in line with their enrollment, etc.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 6:18 PM

I'm rewatching the game and so far Gabe Jackson has 8 points, 7 rebounds no blocks and i'm in the middle of the 3rd so we shall see.

-- Posted by cker23 on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 6:19 PM
  • It's possible. I read the stats on show me times. So, it had to be true. I tried to sweet talk the stats girl back in the day to pencil in a couple caroms and dimes for me. She had none of that.

-- Posted by Popcorn Genius on Thu, Jan 12, 2017, at 9:39 PM
  • No one cares about the tradition. I think the smaller schools that have no chance of beating a school that has the size of Dexter's student body to pull players from would prefer to not play them. The only schools in the SCAA that probably don't mind playing Dexter are Bernie, Bloomfield, and Woodland. That's more than half the field that would prefer they go compete full time in the SEMO Conference.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 1:10 AM
  • They won't leave the SCAA cause then they would be lucky to get 4 to 8 wins a year.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 6:51 AM
  • Does anybody know when the seeding meeting is for the SCAA Conference Tournament or if it's already been held, what are the seeds/bracket available?

-- Posted by The Legend on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 8:36 AM

Seeding meeting is tomorrow Saturday.

-- Posted by cker23 on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 8:51 AM
  • Hey BIGTopPeeWeeHerman? When is the last time Bluff won the Semo conference? They have either the largest or second largest enrollment in the conference and routinely lose to Charleston, a school with about 270 kids in their high school.

Double B-How many trees did you fall out of as a kid? Nobody cares about tradition? LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The amount of clueless people who slobber on this site increases year after year. LOL

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 8:54 AM
  • It is amazing how Dexter is treated because they are a member of a conference made up of schools in their county. Jackson, Poplar Bluff, Farmington, Kennett, Cape Central and I am sure there are more all play schools with less enrollment than them. Probably even more so than Dexter. The schools like Perryville, Dexter, Kennett, Fredericktown all have to share athletes more so than the Poplar Bluffs, Sikestons, and Jacksons of the world. Quit using enrollment. There are more factors than just enrollment. The smaller schools that do not have football typically focus on basketball with a few exceptions that emphasize baseball too. Say what you want to bash Dexter-they are doing pretty well with the athletes they have on the court.

-- Posted by Triple on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 9:26 AM
  • We're not talking about winning the Conference. It's about competing and Dexter has not and will not be able to compete in the Semo Conf.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 9:32 AM
  • Who cares about the semantics? You're talking about how Dexter can't "compete" and that's why they will never leave the SCAA. Bluff, with their size and enrollment, should never settle for anything other than a "championship." Now, i ask you again, how many times has Bluff won the conference championship? Dexter beat Bluff last year. Hasn't happened all that often recently, I guess that means Bluff didn't compete in the conference last year.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 9:46 AM
  • -- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 9:32 AM

You are correct that Dexter hasn't done well in the SEMO conference since they joined. But I wouldn't say they will never compete. Good players come and go in every school, but the atmosphere has to always remain positive and competitive...Dexter has always played the schools that make up the Sikeston Invitational Conference, and beat them or was competitive most of the time. I believe the atmosphere and attitude is starting to swing in the right direction, but time will tell with the wins and loses.

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 9:49 AM
  • Let me spell it out look at overall conference records over the last say 10 years and you tell me if you consider that as competing.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 9:53 AM
  • I'll spell it out for you, Hoss. I never made a comment about who has competed or not competed in the SEMO conference. If you need proof of that, just read my posts. I asked you a question about the Poplar Bluff Mules. Of course, Bluff has competed way better than Dexter has in the Semo conference since Dexter joined. Congratulations on realizing the obvious, huh? If you notice the ? at the end of the sentence you could possibly remove confusion and just answer the question. Possibly.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 10:06 AM
  • And BIGELW look at the overall conference record of the 10 years prior to that and the points here are made. Schools go in cycles, some cycles last longer than others. Point some may be trying to make is that Dexter is trying to pull out of a rut from the last 10 years. They are making leaps and bounds from where they were. Congrats to them. They still have a long ways to go but coach dowdy has them headed in the right direction even an outsider can see that

-- Posted by BleedRedBlack on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 10:08 AM
  • Who cares how many titles PB has we are talking about Dexter who over the last 8 years are like 11-75 vs Semo Conf. teams. You didn't make a comment about who competed and who didn't but I did and you chimed in.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 10:37 AM
  • Who cares? You're a Bluff fan. You, most certainly do care about this. You guys were discussing Dexter. You "chimed" in about Dexter. I decided to discuss Bluff in relation to the conversation about Dexter and the Semo conference.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 10:41 AM
  • I think the point has been made pretty clear. Maybe the reason Dexter struggles to compete against other SEMO conference teams is because they have to many fluff games on their schedule against tiny schools. Now I know many of these games and staying in the SCAA are basically a way to bump up a teams ego. Make then feel good. Give the concieted fans and Dexter sonething to brag about. But lets call it like it is. If I were some of these tiny schools I would refuse to play Dexter and insist the stick to the SEMO Conference. One of the reasons Dexter struggles against other SEMO Conference teams is there is a major difference between a fluff game and the Conference games.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 11:58 AM
  • You know I read this stuff and I think these kids should be in class instead of posting on Semoball...then it hits me...these are grown men and women on here...kind of scary...but what is even worse is we have a lot of unemployed people in Southeast Missouri to be commenting on Semoball all day or a bunch of employers not getting 8 hours work out of their employees!

I bet there has been more talk about SCAA basketball this week than the ACC!

Keep the SCAA tradition going and living the dream!!

-- Posted by BBall 40 on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 12:00 PM
  • BBall40; apparently you're talking about yourself as well. Good job!

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 12:31 PM
  • Double B, that wasn't the case in the 60s,70s,80s,90s, and early 2000s. They competed and won against all of those teams. And doing so while being in the SCAA, which had really good teams as well...The question would be, what has went wrong in the last 10 plus years. I think that has been addressed in some previous posts and it looks like they are trying to turn the corner. Like I said earlier, time will tell.

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 12:53 PM
  • Bon,

Can't remember the 60s, but Dexter had some lean years in basketball in the 70s, 80s, and 90s to go along with some good ones. Dexter has had struggles in the 3 major sports of football, basketball, and baseball in the recent 2000s. Lets not act like its been basketball only. High school sports go in cycles (except a very select few). Things seem to cycle back around or vice versa for most. Thats my experience of following HS sports anyway

-- Posted by Uwe Blab on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 1:24 PM
  • Yes I'm from Bluff but really don't follow them all that close anymore. Have only been to watch maybe a dozen games over the last several years but I do keep up with what's going on in the Semo Conf.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 1:32 PM
  • Retired, worked 36 years, I'm sure same for you Bon?

-- Posted by BBall 40 on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 1:40 PM
  • Uwe Blab,

I don't know if I would call them lean years. I realize there was no state championships and just a few district titles sprinkled in, but my point is they competed. They didn't routinely get beat or blown out by Jackson, Sikeston, or Poplar Bluff....However, I agree with the rest of your post.

PS...Great name by the way. :)

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 2:04 PM
  • Good for you BBall 40! Enjoy retirement...My point is you don't know me or anyone else on here or what our profession is. So why even make that comment. And better yet, why would you care? Don't read it if it bothers you.

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 2:07 PM
  • Talking about Dexter's record against semo conference teams?? People forget I guess the teams that are in that conference. The only other SCAA team that plays any of them is Bernie who scheduled notre dame and also had sikeston on the schedule up until this year. How did that work out for them? Lol but at least coach botsch had the guts to schedule them. Don't see the mighty wildcats putting NMCC or charleston on the regular season schedule. Instead they brag about there 20 wins against tough opponents like Kelly and Holcomb HA! Dexter plays up a class by playing Poplar bluff and Jackson. why doesn't Bloomfield ever play up a class and venture into playing teams like nmcc.

-- Posted by bearcat9 on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 2:31 PM
  • Take the best players from every scaa school. Jackson, Gibbs, Dillinger, Nichols etc. put them on a team and sikeston would still beat them by 20.

-- Posted by bearcat9 on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 2:37 PM

Kinda wondered that myself. Woodland has Jackson every year on the regular schedule and matchup with class 4 teams in the SEMO christmas tourney. Also have Perryville (class 4) in their tournament every year and have played them the last 3 years. Bernie plays up, Advance plays up.

-- Posted by cker23 on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 2:41 PM
  • bearcat69...

I think your wrong on the players you picked though. A couple of the players you mentioned can score but need to play better defense. Not Gibbs though, he's one of the best defensive players I've watched in years.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 3:57 PM
  • Cker 23

Woodland and Bloomfield obviously has same conference schedule.

Non-conference

Woodland plays class 1 Leopoldo, Delta, Zalma.

Class 2 Chaffee,meadow heights, Oran

Class 3 kelly, Clearwater

Class 4 JACKSON

Bloomfield class 1 Eminence, Gideon

Class 2 S. pem, Chaffee,Holcomb,Oran

Class 3 kelly, E. prairie, Malden, T. Rivers, Portageville.

Not sure about Xmas tourney for Woodland but Bloomfield has faced Dexter twice, Malden 3 times I think, Kennet 2 or 3 times and Hayti at least twice in last 3 years.

Woodland is class 3 and Bloomfield is class 2. And you want to talk about strength of schedule?

-- Posted by oldschool3 on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 6:12 PM

Jackson is class 5 lol

-- Posted by cker23 on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 7:19 PM
  • SCAA getting a lot of love before seed meeting. Should be a decent tournament. I like Dexter in this one. Them and Advance could be a good one. The mighty Wildcats?? Don't see much chatter about their 20 win seasons on these forums. I'd say they've only had a handful of 20 win seasons in the last 50 years. Not exactly a powerhouse. But, speaking of playing bigger, tougher teams. They did manage to knock off class 3 Woodland last year.....Twice.

-- Posted by Popcorn Genius on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 7:19 PM
  • Dexter wanted in the SEMO Conference back when things were good for them and now when things have been down for awhile some of the bearcat fans want out and that's ok. If that's what they want then pay the fee to get out, and that's it. Or, they could request to just get out of the conference tournament and not the entire conference so the don't have to play all those teams 2 or maybe even 3 times in a season. I get it.

-- Posted by The Departed on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 8:11 PM
  • Would the conference actually permit a team to participate in the conference "regular season only, but not the conference tournament? That would seem odd!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 8:37 PM
  • I don't know if I would say "Dexter" wanted in the SEMO Conference....Once again, that may be one of the dumbest things I've seen in sports, by playing in two conferences.

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 9:20 PM
  • At this point Dexter should continue playing in the SEMO conference. Like Trump said. "What do you have to lose"? It appears that Dexter is turning the corner just a little. They have some talent coming up, and will need those tough games to prepare them for districts. Of course the talent they have coming up may not translate to High School. It often doesn't. But, one can never tell.

-- Posted by Popcorn Genius on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 10:03 PM
  • Dexter has always played the teams in the SEMO conference, way before they were even in it. That is why I said they never should have joined. It made no difference, except for taking away a couple of rival games and screwing up their schedule.

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 10:33 PM
  • I find it more than a little amusing that Dexter is being criticized for playing in the SCAA. Don't these critics know that the SC in SCAA stands for Stoddard County, which is where Dexter and all these schools except for Woodland are located! Try and look at a map before offering such baseless criticisms.

BIGELW, Dexter was 4-4 in the SEMO Conference last season and unless my memory fails me I believe that included a win over Poplar Bluff. I would call that competitive, wouldn't you? This year, we've beaten Kennett twice and have class losses against Charleston, Jackson, and ND. Again, I would say that's being competitive.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 10:52 PM
  • I meant to say, "close losses," not "class losses." Lol.

As for the seeds, I think Dustin nailed it.

1. Advance

2. Dexter

3. Bloomfield

4. Woodland

5. Bernie

6. Bell City

7. Puxico

8. Richland

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 10:59 PM
  • Looks like Dexter lost the JV game and almosr lost the varsity game. Without Gabe Jackson on the inside Dexter loses the varsity game as well. Bernie absolutely struggled to keep Jackson off the boards.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 11:11 PM
  • -- Posted by Double B on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 11:11 PM

And without Terry Dawson, Bernie doesn't beat Wellston...What kind of ignorant comment is that Double B?

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 11:17 PM
  • Without Lebron on the floor, Cleveland would have lost tonight. Double B, you sure do have a high basketball IQ. You must coach one of those summer teams.

-- Posted by Triple on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 11:20 PM
  • Bonscott, we had to play together at some point! Haha. Double B had to be on the end of the Bench.

-- Posted by Triple on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 11:22 PM
  • Judging from both your comments you both must have been cut from the team freshman year.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 11:32 PM
  • Good call Double B, you're spot on... But I was able to hang on as a manager because I really love basketball.

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 11:37 PM
  • I get tired of listening to individuals who list all their if's and's or but's. If I wouldn't have been cut freshman year, well I could have been the next MJ. Or I got cut because coach didn't like me. I can see it now. I don't have to meet you guys to see what you are. Your probably the same guys that were sitting behind my teams bench when I was winning district titles. Saying, I could coach or play better then him. I highly doubt that. So go back to your fantasy land of believing you were the MJ's of tiny stoddard county. I seriously doubt any of you boys ever played after 8th grade and probably blamed getting cut freshman year on the coach, instead of recognizing you stunk and trying to work to get better on your own.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 11:47 PM
  • Double b just nailed it with that comment. Couldn't agree more.

-- Posted by bearcat9 on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 2:00 AM
  • -- Posted by Double B on Fri, Jan 13, 2017, at 11:47 PM

Lol...What in the world are you talking about?

-- Posted by BonScott on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 2:53 AM
  • I think the Varsity tournament seeds will be

1. Advance

2. Dexter

3. Woodland

4. Bloomfield

5. Bernie

6. Bell City

7. Puxico

8. Richland

Not sure what the JV teams look like.

-- Posted by semolian on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 8:34 AM
  • Pretty sure I know Mr. Bon Scott and he was one of the few Bearcats that played college basketball and stuck it out. I also know his taste for draft beer at BWW might have slowed him down a step or two. In his prime he was pretty hard to handle and most people didn't want any of him. Last night's game is just a prime example of why Dexter should not get out of the SCAA. Bernie played their tails off and a victory for the kids and fans would have made their season. EVERY school in Stoddard County lives for beating Dexter. I understand it completely. I live for beating Sikeston but that's just not going to happen. I get satisfaction out of beating Bernie and old friend Brad Botsch who I can have bragging rights for at least a few days. One more thing, whoever said that the SCAA schools want Dexter out is not true. They relish a chance at beating Dexter and their so call arrogant fans.

-- Posted by lonesomedavepeverett on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 9:40 AM

I love having Dexter in the conference. The SCAA is one of the few conferences where you actually have 4 of the 5 Missouri Classes in it. Makes the conference unique.

-- Posted by cker23 on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 10:06 AM
  • Why does Dexter not play in the SCAA baseball conference?

-- Posted by cardinalnation on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 10:29 AM

1. Advance

2. Dexter

3. Bloomfield

4. Bernie

5. Bell City

6. Woodland

7. Puxico

8. Richland

Official seeds.

-- Posted by cker23 on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 11:51 AM

I'll take a 6th seed if thats what the coaches of the SCAA think we are deserving of. Woodland plays both Bell City and Bloomfield this coming week so they'll have the chance to prove they're better than a 6th seed. Woodland did beat Bernie by 9 and lost to BC in the most sloppiest game I've ever seen the boys play. It took a long long 3 at the buzzer for Dexter to defeat them by 1 but its still a loss. We will take it. Good luck to all the teams.

-- Posted by cker23 on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 12:07 PM

Advance 11-2

Dexter 9-5

Bloomfield 8-6

Bernie 7-8

Bell City 8-7

Woodland 10-4

Puxico 4-9

Richland 2-9

-- Posted by cker23 on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 1:02 PM
  • Hate to say this. But Advance ahead of Dexter? Not sure I can agree with that one. The seeding here absolutely looks set up for a Advance vs Dexter final.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 2:09 PM
  • Hold the phone!!! There must another meeting. Double Dutch Bus doesn't agree with coaches seeding!

As for Woodland. They brought this lower seed upon themselves. They have no business losing to Bell City under any circumstances.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 2:37 PM
  • As usual the ozz man. Again... Sitting behind my teams bench back in the day running your mouth about the coach or players. I could place you in the same group of people that believes the team your routing for never commite fouls either. Maybe they should have just ranked Dexter as an 8th seed so they would face the most deficult path and teams to get to the final.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 3:37 PM
  • Why wouldn't you put Advance above Dexter?

-- Posted by yaeger on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 3:58 PM
  • After Advance came within 7 points of winning the Semo Christmas tournament I'm sure this helped them get the 1st seed. The showing Woodland had in that same christmas tournament hurt them for the seedings. Other than the top half of the bracket, a lot of parody this year. Wouldn't be surprised if Woodland plays Advance on championship night.

-- Posted by semolian on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 5:39 PM
  • Double Decker-Please explain how I would "rout"for calls. I could possibly "rout" a piece of wood.

Secondly, you are the least knowledgeable poster on the forum. I have your medal in the mail. Congratulations. You finally won something.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 6:15 PM

Last time Woodland was a 6 seed in this tournament, they made it to the Championship game. Woodland has been in the Championship game twice in the last 3 years.

-- Posted by cker23 on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 6:38 PM
  • Woodland deserves the seed they got. Maybe could have been over Bernie. Bell City embarrassed them with Nichols 30 points in Christmas Trny. Simply put if Woodland plays like they are capable they are tough like any other team in top six. Just frustrating to see a team with Woodland's talent play on some nights and take a snooze on others. Example, Woodland lost by 18 or so vs Meadow Heights then two weeks later beat them. Another example, Woodland beat Leopold by 50 something then a week later win by 13. Good luck to all teams especially the ones who want to play hard!

-- Posted by woodland alumni 1979 on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 9:43 PM
  • So, only Woodland takes "snoozes?" Who's to say the other team didn't "snooze" when Woodland played better against them the 1st or 2nd time?

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 10:00 PM
  • Just one more example of Woodland's inconsistent play. Woodland had to rally late with a last second three to take CHAFFEE into overtime then finally played in O.T. with a 13 to 1 run. Then at Dexter had them beat by 2 with 4 1 seconds Dexter having to inbounds under Woodland's goal and lose by last second three. Which Woodland team shows up at districs? No problem from me with seed!

-- Posted by woodland alumni 1979 on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 10:03 PM
  • Good point semo. I have seen Woodland play every game and know when they snooze. I can not make that assumption on any other team.

-- Posted by woodland alumni 1979 on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 10:05 PM
  • Yeager,

I would not put Advance above Dexter. I absolutely do not believe Advance can stop Jackson. I also do not believe they match up well against Dexter's physical style of play.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 10:48 PM
  • cker23

Woodland is very talented. Absolutely believe they are a better seed than that.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 10:53 PM
  • I agree. Woodland will be a tough task for 3 seed Bloomfield. Not a good matchup for the undersized Wildcats. But, it also has to be frustrating for Cardinal fans to have athletic players that are 6'6" and 6'7" not being dominant against SCAA teams. Not to mention the inconsistent play. I still think Dexter is the team to beat. They always play well at Bloomfield.

-- Posted by Popcorn Genius on Sat, Jan 14, 2017, at 11:00 PM
  • If this seeding doesn't provide extra motivation for Woodland, I am not sure anything can. Everyone knows they're better than the seed they got. But that is what inconsistent play will lead to. The Bell City loss in the Christmas Tourney is what many think was the reason for Woodland's low seed. They play Bell City tonight, and Bloomfield Friday before playing Bloomfield again next week in the SCAA tourney. This week could be a good opportunity for Woodland to make a couple "pre-tourney" statements if there were a such thing.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 12:54 PM
  • Wins this week will be nice for Woodland. But, because of their inconsistent play, it's going to take success next week, during the tournament, before people will second guess their seeding. That being said, they're capable of winning the tournament.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 12:57 PM
  • Not sure I can ever remember a team with a 10-4 record receiving a 6 seed in the SCAA tourney. Goes to show how competitive the field is this year, outside of Puxico and Richland.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 1:57 PM
  • Woodland 69 Bell City 54.

-- Posted by woodland alumni 1979 on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 8:59 PM

Cards looked much better tonight.

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Jan 17, 2017, at 10:18 PM
  • Woodland vs. Bloomfield this Friday should be a good game. Bloomfield has lost a lot of close games this year it seems like, so don't let their record fool you. They are a very sound basketball team.

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Wed, Jan 18, 2017, at 10:11 AM

I'm hoping for a very good game! Should be. Its homecoming for Woodland so there will be a packed house for that reason alone not to mention the teams that are playing. Get there early if you want a seat. Girls varsity game at 5, then a JV game, then Varsity boys.

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Jan 18, 2017, at 6:02 PM
  • Was very surprised at the final score of the Bloomfield/Woodland game. Thought it would be much closer. Sounds like the JV game was a good one. 4 overtimes. Dexter is playing really well. Don't think anyone in the SCAA can play with them right now.

-- Posted by Popcorn Genius on Sat, Jan 21, 2017, at 6:20 PM
  • Dexter is playing very well right now.

Be interesting to see if Friday's game between Woodland and Bloomfield has any effect on Tuesdays game. Believe Woodland will be better. Will Bloomfield be looking past them?

How is Advance playing right now?

-- Posted by oldschool3 on Sat, Jan 21, 2017, at 10:07 PM
  • Looks like the seeds were about right so far. Lol. The Woodland complaints turned out to be not valid. I'd say any of the remaining 4 could win it all although Advance probably has the upper hand. Should be good games tomorrow.

-- Posted by oldroundballer on Wed, Jan 25, 2017, at 8:17 AM

Yep. Would like to see an Advance/Dexter Final. Think that could be a good game.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Wed, Jan 25, 2017, at 8:46 AM
  • i wont to go see bernie mulles pay tanight at scccaa tounnrement who does they play taniht at boomfield? i wont to see avance pay also theya are is a a good tema and they petty good Bucko.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Wed, Jan 25, 2017, at 8:48 AM
  • I doubt Dexter is looking past Bloomfield. They had a competitive game at Dexter. If they are they might be in for a surprise.

-- Posted by oldroundballer on Wed, Jan 25, 2017, at 9:39 AM
  • just whot u talkin bout oldroundbiller? hoe said dat dextr lookin passed Boomfield bub? i thin that boomfield beet dexxcklter if they shoots good Bucko. whot time this game ?

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Wed, Jan 25, 2017, at 11:28 AM
  • Great action and parody all around at Bloomfield tonight. None of the 4 games were decided by greater than 5 points I believe. Game of the night, IMO, was the JV championship. Ended on a last second 3 point shot to give Bernie consecutive JV championships. That's how they won it last year(again over Dexter) if memory serves me correctly. Only difference this year it took overtime to get it done. Congrats to all the teams and players for an exciting conference tournament.

-- Posted by semolian on Fri, Jan 27, 2017, at 10:47 PM
  • Agreed it was a great night of action. However, Dexter beat Bernie last year in the JV championship game on a half court buzzer beater. I guess turnabout was fair play this year for the Mules. Also, congratulations to Bubba Wheatley and the Hornets. It's been a while. They've had some really good teams and players since 1978 but just didn't get it done. Great tournament this year. Well done players and coaches.

-- Posted by robbincrosby on Fri, Jan 27, 2017, at 11:26 PM
  • Any night Dexter loses is a great night. It was truly a pleasure listening to the upper echelon spoiled Dexter Fans complaining and yelling non stop about the officials during both of their games. Yes, your team commits fouls, believe it or not. How could you possibly be complaining in the first half of the game vs Advance. The officials called literally 1 or 2 fouls against your team that half. Its always nice to see your long faces milling out of the gymnasium and the pack of cars headed back to Dexter. Rofl... Better luck next year... Good luck beating up on those Semo Conference Teams.

Sincerely,

Mike Cox

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Fri, Jan 27, 2017, at 11:29 PM
  • Thanks robbincrosby, went by what a friend told me. Guess I should fact check on my own. Either way great night last night.

-- Posted by semolian on Sat, Jan 28, 2017, at 8:15 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: