Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Kelly needs help

Posted by highschoolfan on Fri, Sep 16, 2016, at 10:10 PM:

After watching Kelly Football team lose by 89, I looked at the basketball schedule and it looks bad for all them to. Its a shame there are alot of really good hard working young men but with NO support from the Administration and worse yet the Coaches I fear Kelly (boys) sports programs are domed. So Administration hire good coaches not your yes men and keep the superintendent and the principal out of the equation (thats the biggest problem).

Replies (21)

• That is exactly what needs to happen!! It's a shame when they're own admin don't see the errors of their ways ( or are just that arrogant to not care) when all of semo does!! Sounds like a bad power trip at the expense of those kids livelihoods! They should be ashamed of themselves! They definetly shouldn't be running a school district! I no it's not all about sports! These kids are students first and athletes second! But as a school leader, it is their responsibility to protect the kids whether it's academics or athletics! They're suppose to be teaching them how to become all they can be! Instead they are aiding in the humiliation to the school district! I'm not even from there but I no in order to field a football team, you must first have a football coach! So you wanted to push out the coach that started that program and had all the kids in jr high and up buying in to his program! That's on them to face the consequences but why would you NOT hire a football coach to replace him? I don't understand that philosophy! This is a direct reflection of the leaders of that school district! Bottom line!

-- Posted by Moose76 on Fri, Sep 16, 2016, at 10:50 PM
  • I feel so bad for those boys.

-- Posted by youknewitwasme on Fri, Sep 16, 2016, at 11:19 PM
  • Does the Kelly coach not have much football experience?

-- Posted by JHSIndian23 on Tue, Sep 20, 2016, at 9:39 PM
  • Did you ever think that good coaches were not around to take a job so late in the year when Coach Red left...and yes the Supt. is sad and nobody wants to work under her...lots of turnover since she has taken over...but nobody wants a board that has shown very poor support in their coaches in the past. Look at the past...only two coaches I can think of has lasted any time at all...and one was attempted to be removed and was overturned or the only coach that has lasted any time at all is R. Ratledge. So...look at what Kelly has done. Athletics has gone wayyyyyyy down, academics has decreased and enrollment is on the way down....even though they just spent over 3 million on a new building because the Supt. said they would grow dramatically...even though the govt. numbers showed a decline....Kelly School Board look in the mirror...what have you done!

-- Posted by stlcardsfan on Tue, Sep 20, 2016, at 9:50 PM
  • What about the Kelly Boys Basketball team? What do they have coming back this tear?

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Wed, Sep 21, 2016, at 8:04 AM
  • highschoolfan just solidifies what most of us already knew which is the world is full of idiots. Their football team is getting pounded. You could bring in Mike Ditka, George Halas and Bear Bryant and they would still be getting pounded. When you're losing by 80 points its all about a lack of talent on the field. Period, end of story.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Wed, Sep 21, 2016, at 8:58 AM
  • You are a prime example of IDIOTS ozzyandharriet! " It's all about a lack of talent on the field?" Talent is developed and a reflection of good coaching! Kids can have talent but just not know how to really put it to good use! It is generally through a good coaching staff that those traits really shine!! So again, it starts at the top of that administration and runs down hill! You are obviously butt hurt over the truth!

-- Posted by Moose76 on Wed, Sep 21, 2016, at 10:57 AM
  • anybody else think highschoolfan and Moose76 are the same person?

Im pretty sure highschoolfan brought his own kid to kelly after things at scc didnt work out...now he is gonna bad mouth everything about kelly..come on man!

-- Posted by bootheelball on Wed, Sep 21, 2016, at 11:11 AM
  • LOL, come on Moose!

First of all, it's pretty sad that you would criticize the man who coaches the team. He stepped up to coach when the previous coach left the school high and dry early in the summer of 2015.

Secondly, Kelly's program has not been in existence for very long. It's high school football at the varsity level. It's going to take time. And that timeline doesn't always follow to the liking of disgruntled mommies and daddies who are otherwise clueless as to how these type of things work.

Thirdy, yes good coaching can develop talent. And in no way am i trying to bash the kids at Kelly. It takes character to show up everyday and practice/play when you're getting beaten as badly as they are. BUT, when you're losing as badly as they are, it's always a situation where the talent level just isn't high enough to compete. Take the Malden game, for example. Malden cleared it's benches early on. If they would've let the starters play longer they would've scored over 100.

fourthly, I'm not butt hurt about anything. I'm sure it's very hard to watch a team get beat that badly. I hope things change for the better for Kelly. But your comments are just those that are very typical of the disgruntled mommy and daddy who just can't understand that sometimes the situation just is what it is. Hopefully it gets better.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Wed, Sep 21, 2016, at 12:47 PM
  • Lets be clear about one thing, I'm not a parent or student or anything of Kelly! In addition to that bootheelball, I only have one name! Sorry to burst your bubble pal! I do have friends that live in that school district and like I said before, when most of semo notices things from a program like Kelly, they are allowed to speak on it, just so you no!! It doesn't mean they are from there or have kids in the school! Yes, I no how it works at the varsity level and not at any time did I say these boys should be out there winning most they're games and whipping up on most teams! Duh dude, yea it does take time! LOTS of time! Kudos to you for pointing out that it takes time!! Nobody is bashing the kids by any means nor taking away from their characters!! I admire the boys that are out there grinding it out every week! You can try and justify whatever you want, however you want to! But, I wasn't criticizing the coach as so much as I was the school district for not hiring a football coach!! There's a difference there ok! Yes, this coach stepped up last year at last minute when HC walked out but there should have been an actual Football coach hired by now! That's just a matter of opinion! So to sum it up even more, my kids go to malden so I guess it's fair to say I'm not " disgruntled mommie or Daddie"!!!

-- Posted by Moose76 on Wed, Sep 21, 2016, at 3:43 PM
  • Moose76....Coach Red did not leave them high and dry...the Supt. handled a disciplinary action poorly and it resulted in the coach putting his resignation letter on the Supt. windshield. The Supt. knew the entire time what type of teacher he was and that was accepted because he was the football coach...even though I disagree with that approach. The board was aware of it also. The difference was the Supt. thought she could put him in his place and change his approach in a short period of time...in the classroom. It didn't go over very well....left the school in a pinch. I still don't know why they didn't address the situation when the Social Studies position opened up this past year...but I am not the board or administration so I don't know, but probably a poor choice. Lastly, there are decent athletes walking the halls of Kelly...probably better than Valle...just without the passion and history. Coach Powers is a great guy and a very good soccer coach. He has put his butt on the line for the school and did everything they have asked...I just don't believe football is his cup of tea....and the board and admin knew that...Coach Red told them that...So...who knows what will happen. I do have to applaud the Kelly football players that are hanging in there and hopefully in a few years they can compete.

-- Posted by stlcardsfan on Wed, Sep 21, 2016, at 8:58 PM
  • hopefully Kelly can make some lemondae out of the Lemons 😳

-- Posted by bootheelball on Wed, Sep 21, 2016, at 9:38 PM
  • *lemonade

-- Posted by bootheelball on Wed, Sep 21, 2016, at 9:40 PM
  • to have started this thread about kelly, highschoolfan is being awful quite now!

-- Posted by basketball365 on Thu, Sep 22, 2016, at 8:11 AM
  • "Charleston's a very good ball club right now," Kelly coach Lance Powers said. "Even though their record doesn't show it, they're a good team watching them on film. Interesting thought...

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Fri, Sep 23, 2016, at 9:58 AM
  • So let me get this straight. Your kids go to Malden but you know enough about coach Powers to say that he's not a qualified football coach and should have never been hired by Kelly? COME ON MAN!!! Give it a rest. You're almost to China. LOL

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Sep 23, 2016, at 10:32 AM
  • just whot u talkin bout stltardfan? hoe u gone say dat bout couch Pouwers Bucko? i joust see not whot u talkin bout Bub. he is good couch Bucko whot u now do not know bout whot ur talking abouts buddy boy. u coulde be next buddy boy like charlie says Bucko in da ramadaa bub.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Fri, Sep 23, 2016, at 12:13 PM
  • Now your just grasping for straws dude! Or whatever you are! I never discredited the HC! I discredited the fact they kept a soccer coach at the HC position and didn't hire a football coach!! Your obviously from Kelly to be getting so butt hurt over the truth! If you can't handled the truth then don't read the stuff partner!!

-- Posted by Moose76 on Fri, Sep 23, 2016, at 3:21 PM
  • Come on, Cletus. You're only making yourself look more and more foolish.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Sep 23, 2016, at 8:13 PM
  • How is the Kelly Jr. High football doing? Anybody know?

-- Posted by Vanderbilt on Fri, Sep 23, 2016, at 9:27 PM
  • Vanderbilt...You ask about jr. high football, but I am curious about how people feel about Jr. High football. I have talked to football coaches and they did not like having a Jr. High Program because it ran off a lot of smaller, talented players before they hit their growth spurt. Ste. Gen. dominated at the high school level for many years without a jr. high...what are your thoughts?

-- Posted by stlcardsfan on Fri, Sep 23, 2016, at 10:10 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: