Semoball

High School Baseball Forum: Top 7 Offseason Baseball Workouts

Posted by how2baseball on Sat, Aug 9, 2014, at 5:35 PM:

Your season is over and your ready to take a couple days or even weeks off to recover from the long season. Maybe you didn't do as good as you waned or maybe you had an awesome year but feel you can do even better.

I've said this before and I'll say it again baseball players are made in the off season. I've you want to come back throwing 90 MPH or hitting 20 home runs than you need to incorporate these offseason baseball workouts into your training. You can just forget about doing "curls for the girls" because I'm going to show you some of the best workouts for explosiveness, power and strength.

Your going to be a rock solid machine, well lets hope you stick to the offseason baseball workouts because you'll see the difference next season. I always liked the off season baseball workouts because I had a personal training that was doing baseball specific training. His name is Keith Wilson and he owns Pro advantage Training. He trains tons of big league players in all sports. I learned an incredible amount of baseball training knowledge from the 3 years I went to him. Doing these specific training workouts helped me get signed to a Junior College.

Top 7 Offseason Baseball Workouts

1. Squats:

You either going to love them or hate them. Squats are hard and they use more than one muscle to perform the exercise. These are going to be absolute best for building power, thunder thighs, a pitchers ***, hitting, running catch my drift? See the great thing about squats is you can do them more than one way. Your probably think what you mean you put the bar on your back and squat up and down.

There's many different variations of squats that you can do instead of just the old fashion way. If you don't have a gym membership than I suggest doing what I did because you don't need all the fancy gym machines, just get a squat rack because you'll be squatting a lot. Make sure to get the size barbell because it starts off at 45 LBS an d it can hold up to 1000LBS. The only other thing I would recommend getting is adjustable dumbbells. It makes it easy and saves you money in the long wrong from having to buy new dumbbells every month because your getting stronger.

Barbell Squat With Weights: This is your traditional squat

Barbell With Rubber Bands As Weights: You can add plates to the bar if you like or use rubber bands as the resistant. This is really good for explosiveness.

Split Squats: These all you do is but one leg in front and one leg in back with knees slightly bent and squat like your taking a knee. Do between 8-12 squats per leg

Front Bar Squats: This one takes a little more strength and balance, Instead of putting the bar behind your neck, put it on your front shoulders and make and x with your arms to help keep it from falling to the ground

Bulgarian Squats: these can be painful, simple put one leg on a bench with the laces on the bench and the other leg on the floor in lung position. You can use dumbbells or the barbell and simple go up and down. You should feel like your doing a half squat.

Walking Lunges with Barbell: These are so much as a squat but there still good to do.

2. Parachute Running

These can be fun and hard at the same time. The Objective is to run as fast as you can to try and get the parachute that attach to you to fly up in the air.

3. Dumbbell Chest Press

These are great for the chest, shoulders and triceps. These are much better than barbell bench because you can get full range of motion with dumbbells. You can even do these on a stability ball to really help with the core.

4. Pull Ups

Pull up are one of best exercise for building back muscles. You can ask any bodybuilder and they'll say they incorporate pull ups in every back training session. You can do different variations of pull ups simply by switching up your grip

5. Speed Ladder

If you want to get better jumps on the ball and get faster out of the box than I suggest getting quick feet. These are great for feet work and agility.

6. Dead lift

This is a mans lift and you want to go heavy on this type of workout, but not to the point you hurt yourself. Dead lifts are great for the legs, back and biceps. Doing compound exercise help release testosterone in the body and the more test means the more muscle and strength.

7. Cable Rotational Turns

Cable turns are excellent for our torso and core. You really want to make sure you explode and mimic your batting stance when doing this.

Last Words...

remember that it's not what you did in the gym but how you did it. Make every rep and set count, go all in when working out to really reap the benefits of these exercises. Leave a comment and tell me what your favorite offseaon baseball workouts are. Don't be scared to share this post with your friends.

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: