Semoball

High School Baseball Forum: MHSBCA Pre-Season Ranking (All-Classes)

Posted by Larry Doby on Thu, Jan 26, 2012, at 5:54 PM:

Here are the 2012 Pre-Season Rankings

CLASS 1

1. LaPlata

2. Liberal

3. Oran

4. St. Elizabeth

5. Cooter

6. Dora

7. Northeast Cairo

8. Holcomb

9. Pilot Grove

10. Concordia

CLASS 2

1. Summit Christian Academy

2. Clever

3. Charleston

4. Elsberry

5. Valle Catholic

6. Conway

7. Crystal City

8. Purdy

9. Eugene

10. Sparta

CLASS 3

1. Westminster Christian Academy

2. Savannah

3. Kennett

4. Springfield Catholic

5. MICDS

6. Mt. Vernon

7. St. Francis Borgia

8. Boonville

9. St. Pius X

10. Clinton

CLASS 4

1. Vianney

2. Lees Summit West

3. Liberty

4. Parkway South

5. Rockhurst

6. Eureka

7. Staley

8. Ray-Pec

9. Rockbridge

10. Francis Howell Central

Replies (33)

• not going to complain bc this is mostly based off last year but I'd say crystal city is a top 4 class 2 team and no disrespect to Minner but they lost their core in naile browning stallings.. those kids meant a ton to the build up of charlestons program. I don't think their necessarily a top 10 team but still can be a quality team as dedicated as those kids and Minner are.. I'd say Bloomfield could be good in class 2 bc they return a lot of starters and got hot late in the season. Chaffee doesn't necessarily deserve to be ranked yet and I see either a very exiciting deep run ahead of them or a disappointing season.. I don't see much of an in between. If Dooley, Crowe, Tenkhoff, Davie and Payne pitch to their potential they'll be very good .. If they don't throw strikes they could be in trouble. I don't know much about Oran except their top 4 players but their top 4 is as good as you'll find in class 1.. Moore, Heuring, Ressel, Elfrink

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Thu, Jan 26, 2012, at 6:39 PM
  • I agree with everything 'nerd said. My only question is how is Naylor not ranked?

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sat, Jan 28, 2012, at 12:45 PM
  • Did Naylor lose anyone from last spring ?

-- Posted by Oldbaseball on Tue, Jan 31, 2012, at 9:57 AM
  • their second best player, kory kovach.. their number 2

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Tue, Jan 31, 2012, at 10:28 AM
  • I still think just having Woodard should be enough to get them at least past districts.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Tue, Jan 31, 2012, at 10:35 AM

I think they also lost a couple of outfielders. One was hitting around .300 if I remember correctly.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Tue, Jan 31, 2012, at 11:54 AM
  • As Class 1 VP I/ll go ahead and list in order the other schools that received votes. Neelyville, Naylor, Norwood, Novinger, and Santa Fe. I did not vote for Cooter. I think the good showing in West Plains and Anderson being healthy is the reason the coaches ranked Cooter at # 5. Most of us from the Southeast also know that Bernie and Oak Ridge also have chance to be very good.

-- Posted by mac baseball on Tue, Jan 31, 2012, at 4:57 PM
  • I forgot about Neelyville. If they have majoroty of last year's team back they should have a legitimate shot at a district title. You almost have to give an upper edge to Naylor IMO with what they did last year and with Woodard coming back. Cooter I feel should be ranked. Anderson should carry them this year if he's healthy. I know Holcomb beat them in the fall but with him healthy on the mound for the district championship game, Cooter should come out on top. Oak Ridge might make it to a district title game being in District 3. I don't see too much panning out for them after that. Losing Thomas was too much for them.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Wed, Feb 1, 2012, at 12:32 AM
  • I think the past few years in the Holcomb/Cooter matchup it has kind of come down to a psychological edge. Holcomb has looked, and continues to look better on paper, but until the fall title game never could get over the hump. If they can beat Anderson in the regular season to get the 1 seed, Cooter may need to throw Anderson just to get through the semis.

-- Posted by No sir on Wed, Feb 1, 2012, at 3:01 PM
  • I'm also a little surprised that Charleston is that high.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Wed, Feb 1, 2012, at 3:24 PM
  • I think one of the more under estimated teams will be Scott City...

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Wed, Feb 1, 2012, at 6:51 PM
  • I've heard that Cooters catcher, Dustin Franklin I believe is his name, broke his hand in basketball. Any word on that?

-- Posted by dont worry on Wed, Feb 1, 2012, at 6:59 PM

LOL....Good one JF

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Wed, Feb 1, 2012, at 7:14 PM
  • The devil made me do it. And its "underestimated". Sorry.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Wed, Feb 1, 2012, at 8:30 PM
  • Holcomb team looked better on paper than cooter with Watkins last year ? And better with Anderson and bridges this year ? That sounds like a good game to see can wait till spring for all the teams to play and see all the different match ups good luck to all

-- Posted by Oldbaseball on Thu, Feb 2, 2012, at 9:02 AM
  • Make no mistake, in last years case Cooter probably had the two best players on the field in the two you named. However, I don't really see Bridges for Watkins as an even trade, and yes, 1 through 9 I believe Holcomb is stronger. In HS where one pitcher can carry a team does that mean they are necessarily the favorite? No. Just an observation.

-- Posted by No sir on Thu, Feb 2, 2012, at 9:45 PM

I only saw Holcomb once last year and I know a lot depends on who's on the mound. But, are they much improved over last year?

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 6:37 AM
  • Pretty much the same bunch. However they have a pair of sophomores who are pretty talented, and their improvement will mean alot to how far this team goes.

-- Posted by No sir on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 8:39 AM
  • Larry, with all do respect nobody cares about class 1 baseball in Feb. Everyone is in the middle of basketball season.

-- Posted by tlks2much on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 9:47 AM
  • talks2much---I care....I live baseball year round like some do basketball right Rocket? I enjoy hearing about some of these teams I do not get the opportunity to see.

-- Posted by Harp98 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 9:53 AM
  • harp68---I care too---Do you think Tyler Anderson going to pitch this year for Sikeston. Certainly would make an ampact if he did.

-- Posted by backintown2012 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 10:22 AM
  • Sorry, that's impact not ampact. Need to slow down.

-- Posted by backintown2012 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 10:24 AM
  • Yes---he has been throwing weekly and has been up to 85 when I have seen him. I am excited about this year.

-- Posted by Harp98 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 10:26 AM
  • That is a legit 85.....I expect more once he gets his arm in shape.

-- Posted by Harp98 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 10:31 AM
  • Has Sikeston got any freshman-sophomores that may step up for the varsity? Who are the seniors on Sikeston?

-- Posted by backintown2012 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 11:03 AM
  • Are you sure Tyler Anderson is pitching? The last I heard from his dad he was still just being cautious about throwing.

If he comes back like his Freshman year Sikeston is going to be strong. He threw a great game against us (cape central)in conference tournament.

-- Posted by tlks2much on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 12:10 PM
  • Yes I am sure about Tyler. Drew has been working out with him daily. They have been at multiple camps together and like I said I have witnessed it myself.

-- Posted by Harp98 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:32 PM
  • Soph Colton Black is out for the year needing Tommy John... He had a chance to win the 1st base job.

Gavin O'Brien, Jarrett Sandlin and Doug Still should be able to log some varsity time. They could even push for a starting job.

-- Posted by Harp98 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:33 PM
  • Sikeston's Seniors are:

Trent McMillen

Luke Keefer

Jacob Wilson

Clay Driskell

-- Posted by Harp98 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:54 PM
  • Forgot Andrew Hicks

-- Posted by Harp98 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 2:55 PM
  • Heard of McMillen and Keefer. How about the others, just didn't recognize the names.

-- Posted by backintown2012 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 3:52 PM
  • Didn't play alot so I want to see them before saying. Wilson did play alot and is a good player.

-- Posted by Harp98 on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 4:02 PM
  • Talk2much, what made you feel obligated to post that? As Larry said, I only saw Holcomb play once last year and was not impressed but they did knock off Cooter in the fall so I can't say too much. It was probably just a rough game for the Hornets. Bottomline is, baseball is right around the corner and i'm just as anxious as the next guy.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Fri, Feb 3, 2012, at 4:04 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: