3. CBC

4. Francis Howell

5. Branson

6. Staley

7. Parkway South

8. Lafayette

9. Oakville

10. Vianney

I've read about all the talent ND's lost but they are still number 2, do they have enough to be that successful again?

Replies (78)

Probably not. I think ND is riding reputation this season.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Jan 29, 2011, at 5:31 PM
  • They will fall out of the top 10 pretty quick.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sat, Jan 29, 2011, at 6:01 PM
  • Holcomb could very well be in the top 10. I see where they have apparently gotten votes, and its deserving considering they played the number 2 team in class 1 to a one run game this fall. Also, they beat twin rivers who is ranked in class 2.

-- Posted by bleacherking on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 12:50 AM
  • I thought i read ND still had two all state pitchers comming back this year.

-- Posted by mule1993 on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 4:14 AM
  • No, ND lost heavily and in my opinion, they are not deserving of the number 2 spot. However, I think that Kennett should be higher, probably top 5 or top 3. They'll be tough.

-- Posted by GreatFun on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 8:53 AM
  • I agree....Sikeston should be #1!!! Kevin Self will guide them to the promised land!!!

-- Posted by RedShirt on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 10:19 AM
  • ND at #2? lol .... Even After they lost every starter they had.. Wow hahaha... I guess that's preseason for ya.

-- Posted by highheat on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 10:45 AM
  • ND baseball won't be what it was last year, but graviett always finds a way to coach his kids well and have a great season. He averages a loss once every 18 games, that's why he was coach of the year last year, maybe that's why he's ranked so high in this poll. I wouldn't count ND out, they've got some very talented juniors that I believe can fill those holes from last year, of course they won't be what they were but I think they'll still be contending for a district championship.

-- Posted by reynolds on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 12:00 PM
  • Yes, of course you're coach of the year when you have almost the same very skilled lineup for two years in a row. He didn't build those kids into the players they are today, their indoor training over the fall and winter with another person did that along with their competitive summer teams. Graviett will not find a way to have a successful season this year, they will have trouble being around .500

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 1:21 PM
  • Kennett will be very good even with the loss of Bazzell.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 1:21 PM
  • why isnt Chaffee ranked in class 2 they took a class 1 final four team very compevitive game befor losing to them and they have 9 starters returning? and isnt Santa Fe always a top 10 team?

-- Posted by Oldbaseball on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 2:01 PM
  • ND baseball is competitive year in and year out, I understand that they won't have any starters from last year but ND is a playoff school (maybe not in basketball) but in almost every other sport we write them off every year because they lose some key players but they always bounce back. Just like soccer a few these past few years, they lost 13 starters a couple years ago and we wrote them off, what'd they do? They responded by going back to the final 4 and a 3rd in state. I'm just saying let's not count them out just yet

-- Posted by reynolds on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 2:59 PM
  • Baseball and basketball are two sports that you can't lose a bunch in and expect to be successful. In both sports you need to have just the right athletes and skill level to be competitive and ND doesn't have enough in either sport this year. What are all the teams in their baseball district?

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Sun, Jan 30, 2011, at 9:11 PM
  • SemoSports, they could throw out 2 good pitchers in the spring and could have 15 wins easily. The area's talent level is down and you'll be suprised how many wins ND can pull off. Nobody is strong except for Kennett this year. But at the same time ND has a pitcher that I believe can match up against their top pitchers and beat them any given day.

-- Posted by SEMObaseball on Mon, Jan 31, 2011, at 2:00 PM
  • Whos that pitcher mobaseball?

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Wed, Feb 2, 2011, at 7:35 AM
  • I think he's talkng about cody Heisserer. He's a junior who throws pretty hard and threw very well for jackson over the summer.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Wed, Feb 2, 2011, at 9:19 AM
  • I saw him pitch.. The only Semo Conference teams he's beating is Kelly and NMCC and maybe Dexter

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Wed, Feb 2, 2011, at 10:03 AM
  • I saw Heiserrer pitch against the PB legion team this summer and he got smoked... Lost 7-0 ... I agree with redhawk fan... I don't see ND being very good let alone ranked #2 after losing all their starters...

-- Posted by highheat on Wed, Feb 2, 2011, at 11:47 AM
  • I don't in any way think that ND will be good this year but out of the times I saw Heisserer pitch he threw pretty good. Besides, who do you think will pitch better on that staff?

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Wed, Feb 2, 2011, at 4:29 PM
  • I think Andrew Williams will be an ace around here....on his way to SEMO next year Im sure...

-- Posted by RedShirt on Wed, Feb 2, 2011, at 4:47 PM
  • Unless Williams picked up 8-10 mph on his fastball he won't be attending (or at least pitching) for SEMO and won't be an ace around here. He's a good efficient pitcher but his velocity last year was mid/upper 70s at the highest. DI won't look at a righty unless they can consistently hit 87+.

-- Posted by deadred on Wed, Feb 2, 2011, at 5:55 PM
  • For some reason I think redshirt was being sarcastic

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Wed, Feb 2, 2011, at 5:57 PM
  • Don't count ND out already. They have Heisser, who will be one of the areas best pitchers by the middle of the season.They have a good junior group with a few seniors that probably should have played last year. Look for Hayes and Buessink to have solid years.Buelow can hit so they may be pretty solid.As good as the last couple years, probably not but a good area team.

-- Posted by jack79 on Wed, Feb 2, 2011, at 6:30 PM
  • I disagree with those who say ND will be good this year. I don't see it. The people mentioned are no where near the caliber players that they have had the last few years. They are not bad but no where near what they've had. Heisserer is a good pitcher but has to prove it on the mound before anyone can say he's one of the area's best.

-- Posted by deadred on Wed, Feb 2, 2011, at 6:57 PM
  • I Agree ND will win 10 games or so thats all...Sikeston 20+ this spring with kevin self guiding the ship....

-- Posted by RedShirt on Wed, Feb 2, 2011, at 7:06 PM
  • oldbaseball didnt chaffee lose to scc last year in baseball? just wondering, scc only lost 1 player ,not saying they will win state but they will suprise alot of teams this year and so will bell city imo lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Wed, Feb 2, 2011, at 8:45 PM
  • Idk i just saw Chaffe play cooter and they gave the final four team a run for their money cooter had to play a perect game to beat them and if they have 8 returning starter that held that cooter team to what they did they will be very good this year

-- Posted by Oldbaseball on Wed, Feb 2, 2011, at 8:55 PM
  • Kmasters.. Scc won the game but Chaffee went much farther in the playoffs and when scc and Chaffee played it was their 2nd game in two days and had Bernie the following day so you all faced chaffee's number 4 pitcher

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Wed, Feb 2, 2011, at 9:04 PM
  • Highheat I believe you are mistaken the Jackson Legion defeated Poplar Bluff all 3 times that they played this season so I can tell you Heisserer did not get smoked 7-o.

-- Posted by mustang69 on Thu, Feb 3, 2011, at 10:06 AM
  • ND will have a totally different team this year but they will still be a solid team. They have some seniors that probably could have started for any other school last year and some juniors that are solid as well

-- Posted by <8910> on Thu, Feb 3, 2011, at 9:57 PM
  • is it possible to find a list of the top 30 or so preseason rankings? all i can find is the top 10 in each class.

-- Posted by uptobat on Mon, Feb 7, 2011, at 11:14 PM

Southeastmobaseball you can go to maxpreps.com teams are are ranked by strength of schedule and other factors once the season starts

-- Posted by cerebral1 on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 4:39 AM
  • Is it true Coach Puckett is going to work for the Sikeston baseball program since ND is down?

-- Posted by whatup73 on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 7:57 AM
  • inspector would leave ct out

-- Posted by centraltyga on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 8:02 AM

CT BASKETBALL ALL DAY

-- Posted by ctsecondrow on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 8:02 AM
  • He didn't leave us out, we just aren't ranked.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 8:58 AM
  • We should be!

-- Posted by whatup73 on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 9:00 AM
  • Kennett should be ranked above Notre Dame. I know they are loaded with young talent and Notre Dame has nothing but new players on varsity.

-- Posted by tlks2much on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 9:23 AM
  • After first two weeks ND will fall off of the map.

I see they have watered down their schedule quite a bit this year.

-- Posted by whatup73 on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 9:58 AM
  • whatup73 I think your in for a big surprise about ND falling off the map! I'll wait for your comments after the 1st 2 weeks of the season.

-- Posted by newfrontier60 on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 11:07 AM
  • Charleston 3 times really???? Have they ever been on your schedule? With those type of teams you may be able to stay above water. But hey great talent and good scheduling equals great coaching!!

-- Posted by whatup73 on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 11:30 AM
  • Mustang69

Are you sure of that? I was at the game of the season opener when jackson played bluff in legion ball where I believe it was quinton west who threw a one hit shut out against them and Like I said , I was there and I saw it . I'm guessing your just as sure about this subject as you were about Brett Thomas not getting a scholarship ..... Lol

-- Posted by highheat on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 12:34 PM

I saw Charleston on ND's schedule for one varsity game....two separate freshmen doubleheaders.

Also, don't sell Charleston baseball short.

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 12:51 PM
  • I'm sure Naile will get that game and so Charleston could be competitive if he has a great game and needs no help, but what's up with ND all of a sudden playing teams like that this year? Your right I went back and looked it does say two freshmen games, how is the Charleston freshman team looking?

-- Posted by whatup73 on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 1:01 PM
  • Charleston may have some holes to fill like any high school team faces each year, but I agree with birdfan they have a core that could have a fun year. I think their 8th grade team coached by Marty Young had a good year last year so Charleston baseball will continue to get stronger.

-- Posted by CharlestonFan on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 1:54 PM
  • Puckett helping Sikeston instead of ND? Haha Where did you come up with that? ND isn't down. And I also heard that the reason ND is playing Chsrleston is to face Naile on the mound with wooden bats. That should be a good game. Depending on how chsrlestons defense plays

-- Posted by SEMObaseball on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 4:43 PM
  • I heard Naile is for real and should have signed at a bigger school. I saw him pitch 3 times last year and if he has control more than last year, he will be hard to handle.

Charleston should ride him a long way this season.

-- Posted by tlks2much on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 4:50 PM
  • ND isn't down, really? They lost all 8 position starters and their whole rotation. Not to mention that half of them are playing college baseball.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 4:51 PM
  • I thought Coach Puckett was from Sikeston, is that so far fetch to believe. I think Naile is all Charleston has though. Why wood?

-- Posted by whatup73 on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 4:59 PM

Naile is not all Charleston has; they have 3 players who have already signed to play at the next level.

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 5:03 PM
  • I agree with birdfan. Charleston will win with Naile on the mound, but they will pull out some suprising wins against some unsuspecting schools. Their freshman did a good job last year as 8th graders, they can fill some holes.

-- Posted by CharlestonFan on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 5:06 PM
  • Baseball is as much a TEAM sport as any sport, that's why a no hitter is such a big deal, so even a dominating pitcher has to have a defense to make him look good, I will agree. Does Naile have that defense to make him look good?

-- Posted by whatup73 on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 5:14 PM

I agree with your assessment of a good defense helping out a pitcher. Charleston returns a veteran infield; are they flawless? No; but neither are major league teams. I would venture to say that they'll be more help to a pitcher rather than a hindrance; that being said, all defenses have their days when the ball just doesn't seem to bounce right.

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Feb 8, 2011, at 8:09 PM
  • ND will be fine this year i believe. even though they lost all of their starters, their bench players could have started on most other teams in the area. they just had some extraordinarty players last year.

-- Posted by <8910> on Wed, Feb 9, 2011, at 10:25 AM
  • Why wood coach?

-- Posted by whatup73 on Wed, Feb 9, 2011, at 10:35 AM

I'm not the coach, but I would assume they're using wood just as something different; just like a wood bat tourney

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Feb 9, 2011, at 11:39 AM
  • if Charleston only has Naile then why does their schedule be filled with Jackson, ND, Cape, North County, Sikeston, Twin Rivers, Scott City, and also Cooter?? its bc this year they will have a good team.. they didnt lose anyone last yr and return Naile, Browning who can throw it, and a great up the middle guy who has hands out of this world.. That coach knows that his team can compete this year so he wants those teams.. the game with ND is for a cancer fundraiser so they are playing it with wood..

-- Posted by Johnny "Drama" on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 3:13 AM
  • Whats going to be there strategy though? throw Naile verse the tougher teams and possibly lose and also risk throwing browning verse another opponent that week and risk a loss there.. not that neither can compete but charleston has naile who is probably top 3 pitcher in this area at least, but offensively they got 3 maybe 4 hitters. If naile throws against a notre dame who has a good pitcher going and they have 6 or 7 good hitters you're not guaranteed a win, and then browning verse like an oran.. all i'm saying is naile verse an oran level team is a 95% chance of a win, while naile throwing verse a notre dame is 50-50... and then your number 2 verse a notre dame is a 95% chance of a loss while him throwing verse an oran is 50-50.. Go for the one guaranteed win and take some lumps or try winning em all?

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 10:43 AM
  • I have yet to see Naile pitch, heard hes got good stuff though. What kind of stuff does he have, velocity/command/movement, etc.?

-- Posted by baseballfan2010 on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 10:49 AM
  • Naile has good stuff, good command, and is a smart pitcher. Velocity is mid-80s.

-- Posted by chaffeebaseball2011 on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 10:51 AM
  • I would put Charlestons infield against anyones in this area. 4 players who have signed to play college baseball. As far as pitching goes, it will be like last year. Naile will compete with possibly beat larger schools. Browning will compete with and possibly beat mediocre schools. I believe their record last year was 19-6, 17-6, something like that. They will only be better. I see great things for them this season

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 10:54 AM
  • Good question redhawk..

I think you have to give your team the best chance to win.. Which is why he pitches against all the best teams charelston vs.. Its only going to get him better for district play..

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 10:55 AM
  • Another thing though is charleston is really going to want the one seed in districts so in districts they can throw their number 3 first browning second and naile in the championship.. now if they aren't the one seed they wouldn't use that order... that's why i think naile will throw vs district opponents and not the big teams if they play them in the same week but i may be wrong

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 10:58 AM
  • who are there 4 infielders going to play college.. naile but he's as a pitcher, and then mckinney and browning... has stallings signed somewhere?

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 11:02 AM
  • Charleston will not play any district opponents until district tourney

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 11:04 AM
  • they don't have a single district opponent on their schedule? thats odd

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 11:05 AM
  • No youre right, i guess it is just those 3

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 11:06 AM
  • yeah im pretty sure they dont. Well maybe East Prarie. They were just moved into this district this season

-- Posted by Hershisers and Old Fashioned's on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 11:07 AM
  • I can assure you that the Bluejays will play to win all games. You won't catch them throwing off to salvage a win. Competition prepares you for the post-season. That's why our schedule is tough. Our kids need to be tested when it counts. And if we're 4-20 when the district comes to town hopefully we'll be better than we were on day 1.

And yes, we only play East Prairie during the season. We will try to get some of the new teams on the schedule for next season.

And also 3redhawk3fan3....if you're seeding for a district what is more impressive to you? A 2-1 loss to a big school, or a 10-2 win against a struggling small school.

Plus if you have to win 3 games in a district and you have to throw 3 pitchers, the common sense theory tells you if your #3 has to win one he throws game 1. If he can't win the first round game he sure won't win round 2 or 3.

Every coach has their own opinions, I have thick skin and have no problem losing when it's what I believe is the right thing to do.

-- Posted by minn13 on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 1:44 PM
  • Class and district realignment caught a lot of teams by surprise this year. No chance to change your schedule to match your new class/district.

-- Posted by deadred on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 1:48 PM
  • Just curious then... you would always throw your number 3 in the first round? lets say it's charleston woodland in a 3-6 or 4-5 matchup.. do you throw a number 3 althogh woodland may throw neil johnson?

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 1:56 PM
  • depends on the talent of your 1,2,3. The year Scott City had Henson with Simmons and Modglin...flip a coin.

If I feel like my best is the guy I have to win the championship with then we have to try and find a way to get there without using him. He may have to close one. But losing 8-0 in the championship isn't as fun as winning 16-14 in the first round.

-- Posted by minn13 on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 2:03 PM
  • Last year I threw Stallings 5 innings in the 2-7 game. He had only thrown 3 innings all year. I thought that gave us the best chance to win. If it hadn't rained we were sitting pretty good.

-- Posted by minn13 on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 2:12 PM
  • Is Webb City bad at anything? They are always ranked in the major sports

-- Posted by crackerjack on Fri, Feb 25, 2011, at 3:12 PM
  • Do you think we will get to see a cooter Oran game i remember bck in 06-08 these 2 teams was always playing in sec game and oran always came out on top but now cooter has had some success and exp so i wonder who would win now?

-- Posted by Oldbaseball on Sun, Mar 13, 2011, at 10:07 PM
  • I dont think cooter gets past sectionals in my opionion because their pitching is down tremendously. They have Watkins who is hurt, and Anderson. Who would throw after those two?

-- Posted by Hornets on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 12:14 PM
  • Is Edwards still there?

-- Posted by LeeSummitBooster on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 2:30 PM
  • No he graduated last year.

-- Posted by Hornets on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 3:59 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: