Semoball

High School Baseball Forum: A legend passes away

Posted by Ernie D on Fri, Sep 16, 2022, at 10:28 AM:

A lot of memories are evoked by the news of Ernest Mcferren’s passing. Lilbourn Panthers of the 1970’s were a challenge very few could meet. Eleven points was the closest my team could come to the 1973-1975 Panthers and we played 3 times a year. Ernest once told me the baskets at Risco looked 4 feet around to him, a testament to our inability to pressure him I suppose. Frankie Robinson on the court with Ernest was as good a duo as I’ve witnessed. My sympathy to Claude, Al, and Lennies and the rest of the family. Where does time go? Andy Smelser

Replies (8)

• Sorry, should be on basketball forum

-- Posted by Ernie D on Fri, Sep 16, 2022, at 10:34 AM
  • My most vivid memory of Ernest was his big floppy fro as he glided up and down the court! My condolences to the entire McFerren family.

-- Posted by indian73 on Fri, Sep 16, 2022, at 11:04 AM
  • 1975 Scott City High School lilbourn vs ND in a regional championship 7:00 pm game, gym was packed by 5:00, before players even arrived. Wow ND in their traditional blue blazers, slacks,shirts and ties entered the gym. But then came the panthers led by Ernest “Peaches” Mcferron with his huge fro and his newsboy flat hat sitting comfortably on top, huge bell bottoms etc. the fans went CRAZY!! Never witnessed anything close to this since!!

-- Posted by Outfield on Fri, Sep 16, 2022, at 12:49 PM
  • The 1974 state championship team had long-armed Ed Farr waiting in the lane. Sometimes Ernest and Claude would let you drive in there so they would get a layup after Ed swatted your shot to half court.

-- Posted by Ernie D on Fri, Sep 16, 2022, at 1:58 PM
  • and if i remember correctly once Ernest was a couple steps inside the 1/2 court line he was “in range”.

-- Posted by indian73 on Fri, Sep 16, 2022, at 8:36 PM
  • You remember perfectly

-- Posted by Ernie D on Fri, Sep 16, 2022, at 8:58 PM
  • The 1974 state championship team had long-armed Ed Farr waiting in the lane. Sometimes Ernest and Claude would let you drive in there so they would get a layup after Ed swatted your shot to half court.

-- Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Sep 17, 2022, at 5:03 AM
  • Sorry, should be on basketball forum

-- Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Sep 17, 2022, at 5:03 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: