Semoball

High School Baseball Forum: David Layton

Posted by Chris Trimmer on Fri, Dec 28, 2018, at 3:44 AM:

David Layton is for real. He's averaging 33.3pts ppg in the Christmas Tournament. If you read Coach Farmer's comments after last night's game. He said they put their best defenders on Layton. Layton still scored 30. Very impressed with this young man. A comment was made on here awhile back that he would not be able to put up numbers against a good defense from Charleston, I will admit 30pts is not dropping 50 but 30pts against Charleston facing a double team most of the night is extremely impressive. He's only a junior and will get better. One of the top players in the area.

Replies (12)

• You should be proud of your son there mom or dad. He's played good so far.

-- Posted by Ohweeohahaha on Fri, Dec 28, 2018, at 6:26 AM
  • Not related in anyway. Just a fan of SEMO basketball. The kid is fun to watch.

-- Posted by Chris Trimmer on Fri, Dec 28, 2018, at 6:56 AM
  • He is definately putting up some impressive numbers.

-- Posted by Run the Race on Fri, Dec 28, 2018, at 7:34 AM
  • I think Layton is probably the best overall player in the tournament

-- Posted by Semo1990 on Fri, Dec 28, 2018, at 8:24 AM
  • MVP that's my opinion.

-- Posted by The deltan on Fri, Dec 28, 2018, at 9:17 AM
  • No question that he’s the most valuable player on his team. He is a lot of fun to watch.

-- Posted by Run the Race on Fri, Dec 28, 2018, at 9:27 AM
  • And from what I hear, a good kid.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Fri, Dec 28, 2018, at 10:51 AM
  • He is one of the top scorers in the area. His 15ft pull up jumper is excellent. A tool most high school point guards do not value. He is an excellent player. Charleston did not play good defense on him at all in the first half. They continuously used his defender to double team the ball leaving him free way to much. Second half the switch was made to put their best defender on him and stay with him continuously which is what most coaches would have done from the start.

-- Posted by MCL on Fri, Dec 28, 2018, at 1:09 PM
  • Layton is the real deal. Wish I could be there to watch him play after having covered that tourney the past several years. I still remember him playing well beyond his years as a freshman in 2016 and talking with then-coach Adam Stoneking about him. Very talented and hardworking.

Actually, I mention him at the 34:03 mark of the podcast wrapup in 2016 (https://www.semoball.com/story/2373471.html). That was a really fun year for the tournament. Maybe the best during my time at the Missourian.

-- Posted by trentsinger on Fri, Dec 28, 2018, at 1:22 PM

He's probably the best player EVER from Oak Ridge. All things being equal, I would rather have K. Hodges on my team though.

-- Posted by cardsfan53 on Fri, Dec 28, 2018, at 2:57 PM
  • I'm obviously biased, but he's a great kid. A pleasure to coach, one of those players that every coach wants.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Sat, Dec 29, 2018, at 2:26 PM
  • Congratulations to David Layton for being selected to the SEMO Christmas All Tournament team. And for being selected MVP in the fan vote.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Sun, Dec 30, 2018, at 4:51 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: