High School Baseball Forum: Never seen before lane violation

Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Jan 6, 2018, at 12:21 PM:

During risco-east prairie game Thursday risco foul shooter received the pass from the under the goal referee while his feet were straddling the top of the key. The referee on the sideline immediately called a lane violation on the shooter. Anyone ever seen that before. It didn't seem to be that the under the goal ref was waiting a long time for the shooter to move in.

Replies (12)

• Can't say I have.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sat, Jan 6, 2018, at 1:02 PM
  • Technically is a violation, but I would warn first. Never had to call it in over 6,000 games😜

-- Posted by semo ref on Sat, Jan 6, 2018, at 1:58 PM
  • Sort of a 180 from the Oran-Dixon call of 1969.

-- Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Jan 6, 2018, at 2:12 PM
  • The only way I could justify an official calling that would be if the kid was taking an excessive amount of time before

Shooting the free throw. Otherwise, the official needs to pay closer attention to what is going on and wait to pass the ball to the shooter

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Sat, Jan 6, 2018, at 2:23 PM
  • It is on YHC tv with under 3 minutes in the 4th if u care to see it

-- Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Jan 6, 2018, at 2:26 PM
  • It was earlier than that, not sure where but was in second half

-- Posted by Ernie D on Sat, Jan 6, 2018, at 3:10 PM

Like most officials that one has no common sense. He probably never played himself or sucked when he did.

-- Posted by Stuart on Sat, Jan 6, 2018, at 3:31 PM
  • 30 something years ago our FT shooter received the ball from the ref then looked down and saw his foot was on the line. He moved it back and prepared to shoot. But the ref called him on the line for a turnover. We were up one with 10 seconds to play. Our opponents made a shot at the buzzer to win. It was our only loss at home. Yes I still remember it. 😕

-- Posted by oldroundballer on Mon, Jan 8, 2018, at 10:12 PM
  • Wow old roundballer that kind of stinks. One of those things that is burned in your bad memories.

-- Posted by SEMO747883 on Wed, Jan 10, 2018, at 6:02 PM
  • That don't make sence, I thought the player had to shoot the ball first with his or her foot on the line before taking it away from them?

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Jan 10, 2018, at 6:47 PM
  • Deltan, once the official delivers the ball to the free throw shooter, he can cause a violation by several ways: 1. take more than 10 seconds to shoot,2. step on or over the free throw line, 3. step out of the side or back of the free throw semi circle. #2 is by far the most common error by the shooter. Hope this helps.

-- Posted by semo ref on Wed, Jan 10, 2018, at 6:55 PM
  • Okay semo ref thanks for clearing it up for me.

-- Posted by The deltan on Wed, Jan 10, 2018, at 7:51 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: